AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Layer3 TV (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2818617-layer3-tv.html)

bigapp 04-18-2017 02:13 PM

Layer3 TV
 
I could not find much discussion of Layer3 TV on the board. I hope this is right sub forum for the discussion.

I have switched from Comcast Xfinity X1 to Layer3. I ran both side by side for a few weeks. here's my initial take.

Pros:
Better quality for almost all content Especially for DVR recordings. On Layer3 I don't see the color banding that I do on Comcast with same program recorded.
Select 4k on demand content like Planet Earth II

Cons:
Remote can be sluggish at times
No 30 second skip
Menus offer very little in the area of changes
Cannot set screen saver delay, wife complains that it screen saves on her because she does not play with the remote like I do. She is report after about 1hr it will time out.

WiFi:
When you have more than one TV you're feeding secondary units and they must be "lite" units. They do not allow more than one DVR main unit. The main unit functions as a gateway / router. It creates a WiFi SSID that the other units connect to for content either live or off the DVR. Probably not a big deal for most who have a single ISP provided gateway/router/WAP. I run separate cable modem, gateway, and multiple APs and have a much better wireless network coverage and strength than they can provide from the main box. I cannot leverage my WiFi network as there is no way to configure wifi in the menus on either the main box or remote boxes.


This present me with several issues. I already can see 236 wifi networks in my neighborhood and they cause contention for the airways, I don't need another one in the mix. For the remote systems in my daughters bedroom she get occasional dropouts and freezes caused by the weak wifi from the main box even though there is a great signal available from my wifi in her room. They did say you can hardwire the remote nodes, but that would be a royal pain to do.

Conversion:
All my TV are 4k and the units sync up at 4k via HDMI. There is no settings in the unit to change resolution. All content even SD is converted to 4k, and then sent to the TV, there is no way to send native resolution to my TV. So for SD content they are doing the conversion instead of the processor in my Sony 75" 850 TV. I feel the Sony does a better job on live SD content and their conversion adds a little more soap opera effect. I'm not sure if they are converting in box or before they send the content. When I compare DVR SD content Layer3 is better and I believe this because they compress the DVR recording less.

Bottom line: most of the content I watch looks much better on layer3 than Comcast, 90% of the content I watched from either is off of DVR. I will be keeping it and I'm in the process of boxing up the X1 DVRs. My daughter can deal with hangs until and if I decide to hardwire.

I'm hoping they improve the remotes and flexibility of the system overtime.

chez 05-05-2017 05:02 PM

I was actually considering switching to them, but after chatting with them there seems to be a few major obstacles (for me at least).

Firstly, in the DFW area they require you to use Spectrum as your ISP. I'm with Frontier Fios now and get 150/150, Spectrum have severely limited upload speeds available.

Secondly, according to the rep I chatted with, they do not offer 5.1 audio at all. I was half expecting him to tell me they offer 7.1, seeing as they are so proud of their "All HD" lineup and single 4k channel, but it appears stereo is the best they can do?

Lastly, bandwidth. If they run on top of your ISP via IP, any bandwidth used for TV will eat into the available bandwidth for other things. With FIOS, I believe the TV bandwidth is separate as I never see it drop below 150 no matter how many boxes I have on concurrently.

cfkillers 05-06-2017 09:26 PM

layer3tv
 
I switched from Xfinity to Layer3tv in the DC Metro area after seeing a demo at a local mall. I did a self install and used the wireless feature. for the first two weeks I had no issues then i got a lot of lag with the lite box only. It was a connection issue. I switched to Moca and that fixed the issue. The picture quality is better i have no bandwidth issues at all with 200mbps download with xfinity. Best feature is that each user gets there own profile and Layer3tv has been spot on with picking programs that you might want to see at that time. So at 6pm my home screen will have 2 local channels showing the news ESPN and something showing on history channel. The Parental control on kids profile docent even show channels that show programming tv14 or above. The DVR is very responsive unlike Xfinity who lagged through commercials when trying to fast forward.

Akc550 05-09-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chez (Post 52773585)
I was actually considering switching to them, but after chatting with them there seems to be a few major obstacles (for me at least).

Firstly, in the DFW area they require you to use Spectrum as your ISP. I'm with Frontier Fios now and get 150/150, Spectrum have severely limited upload speeds available.

Secondly, according to the rep I chatted with, they do not offer 5.1 audio at all. I was half expecting him to tell me they offer 7.1, seeing as they are so proud of their "All HD" lineup and single 4k channel, but it appears stereo is the best they can do?

Lastly, bandwidth. If they run on top of your ISP via IP, any bandwidth used for TV will eat into the available bandwidth for other things. With FIOS, I believe the TV bandwidth is separate as I never see it drop below 150 no matter how many boxes I have on concurrently.


Hi. I happen to work at Layer3TV. It sounds like we’ve got some training to do…

If you hit left on the d-pad and go into settings, there is a section called “audio”. From there you can choose between Stereo (PCM) and Dolby. It’s standard practice to do it that way to make things as compatible as possible (similar to BluRay players, etc.).

Bigapp, feel free to give it a try if you haven’t already. By the way, you can also change the LCD display to a clock, and change the color of the light bar.

Thanks!

fasttimes 05-27-2017 02:54 PM

Can you take your layer3 box(es) with you to a new location?

Suppose I live in Chicago and subscribe to L3. I have all my local channels and regional sports.

I also have a winter house in Florida. Can I take my box to Florida and still have access to my Chicago programming? This is assuming my ISP in Florida is on the "approved" list for L3.

Speaking of which, how does L3 enforce the ISP requirement? Does it use the IP address of the gateway? Could this be bypassed by using a VPN? One could use an ISP in Europe, and setup a VPN to an approved ISP.

Ollie Sedgwick 06-19-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasttimes (Post 53262866)
Can you take your layer3 box(es) with you to a new location?

Suppose I live in Chicago and subscribe to L3. I have all my local channels and regional sports.

I also have a winter house in Florida. Can I take my box to Florida and still have access to my Chicago programming? This is assuming my ISP in Florida is on the "approved" list for L3.

Speaking of which, how does L3 enforce the ISP requirement? Does it use the IP address of the gateway? Could this be bypassed by using a VPN? One could use an ISP in Europe, and setup a VPN to an approved ISP.

I've been wondering this too. I asked on the layer3 support chat and they said it could feasibly work, but the GPS location needs to match the ip address. I asked if it was standard geolocation from the ip address or actual GPS coordinates, but they couldn't tell me. I saw resvpn offers verizon IPs for many locations, and was wanting to try it out for the DC area. When you set up your layer3 tv, did it need to connect to the cable modem or did it just connect with ethernet? If it doesn't need a specific modem and just an ip address, as long as you're connected to a supported isp + area, I guess it could work anywhere.

bigapp 07-23-2017 09:05 PM

My guess is they have cache systems located in the areas they serve to boost performance. So staying too far won't work


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TohaLA 09-21-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akc550 (Post 52852313)
Hi. I happen to work at Layer3TV. It sounds like we’ve got some training to do…

If you hit left on the d-pad and go into settings, there is a section called “audio”. From there you can choose between Stereo (PCM) and Dolby. It’s standard practice to do it that way to make things as compatible as possible (similar to BluRay players, etc.).

Bigapp, feel free to give it a try if you haven’t already. By the way, you can also change the LCD display to a clock, and change the color of the light bar.

Thanks!

Wait, are you saying you are now supporting DD 5.1 surround sound (well, at least for shows and movies that have surround sound)? When I did a trial a while back in Los Angeles (90049), I was only getting stereo on all content I tried (HBO shows, other shows that I know DirectTV was offering 5.1 and on L3TV I was getting DD 2.0 only). Please let me know - if you guys actually started streaming 5.1 sound, I may consider L3TV again.

JStigler 02-07-2018 02:51 PM

With the audio set for Dolby Digital (auto) I see no problem with 5.1 audio. If the source is 5.1 my Panasonic shows DD. Most of the HBO had DD and the OTA channels had DD as well as the Sports.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++

Other Issues:
Spectrum got off to a rocky start before Christmas with lot's of issues. It has now been stable for 6-7 Weeks. I do get some Hang Tight once in a while.

If you get a glitch in a recording and you are using FF3 or any FF if you pass over the glitch you return to the start of the pgm. This is real annoying. The Pgm did record to the end.

Other times you find a recording didn't make it to the end. Not too often

The remote now has Blue Tooth RF. The remote now locks up several times in an evening. I have turned off the Blue Tooth. Hopefully this gets it back to the way it was.

HDMI no Signal when the Sony 4K TV if first turned on. Had to install an AC Switch for the wife to do a PWR Reset. My Directv & BD player don't have HDMI issues.

I generate tickets via the WWW when I have an issue. Good response from the CSR's. There are just quite a few bugs still to be worked out. The Picture is Fine but even my wife is calling me every time there is an issue.
Johnny S.

Lethean 03-08-2018 09:16 PM

I wonder when they will branch out into more markets. I'm in the Portland metro area (Oregon, not Maine) and they aren't out here yet. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the two main ISPs are Cocmast XFinity and Frontier.

tenthplanet 03-08-2018 09:22 PM

We don't know what T-Mobile is really going to do with Layer 3 yet. Once they figure it out expect changes.

snidely 03-10-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 55822028)
We don't know what T-Mobile is really going to do with Layer 3 yet. Once they figure it out expect changes.

They sure sure shook up the cell industry starting four or five years ago. (Been a TM subscriber for over 15 years-since before they were known as TM.) Gave up Comcast last summer and now use YTTV.

tenthplanet 03-11-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snidely (Post 55833466)
They sure sure shook up the cell industry starting four or five years ago. (Been a TM subscriber for over 15 years-since before they were known as TM.) Gave up Comcast last summer and now use YTTV.

But they have to ditch the price structure that Level 3 has been using.

snidely 03-11-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 55837382)
But they have to ditch the price structure that Level 3 has been using.

That's for sure! It looks like they force you to subscribe to every channel in Comcast's list for $75. That's just basic channels. The premium channels like HBO are all at full retail price.

tenthplanet 03-11-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snidely (Post 55837586)
That's for sure! It looks like they force you to subscribe to every channel in Comcast's list for $75. That's just basic channels. The premium channels like HBO are all at full retail price.

And that doesn't include internet costs..:eek:

snidely 03-11-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 55837616)
And that doesn't include internet costs..:eek:

In Oakland, our whole condo bldg has internet from Google. We were paying Comca$t $83/mo. just for a level of service one grade above lowest level. With YTTV pay $35. We get HBOGo via relative's acct. we pay for. Same w. the Daily Show.

lovingdvd 03-22-2018 02:44 PM

Anyone know how the quality of the HD compares to DirecTV and FIOS? Is the Layer3 TV service stable and without bugs for the most part?

dkhbrit 04-20-2018 03:37 PM

I just got this service in DFW. Have had a few issues in the first 24 hours but really want this to work. Been a DTV customer for 10 years but it’s gotten too costly and the latest hike for Sunday Ticket ain’t worth it for me any more (I’m not even home for around half the games anyway). I also recently got the 4K box and the picture quality is poor (apart from the 4K channels).

Picture quality is better than Directv. I’ve had some drop outs and times when the screen just goes black. Customer support has been excellent. I’ve been using Firetv for a while now and never had a dropout issue, even with 4K content. I explained this to the Layer 3 guy and he straight away acknowledged the issue isn’t my ISP ( Spectrum).

I’ll keep,posting to this thread as things develop.

mdanderson 04-21-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkhbrit (Post 56069254)
I just got this service in DFW. Have had a few issues in the first 24 hours but really want this to work. Been a DTV customer for 10 years but it’s gotten too costly and the latest hike for Sunday Ticket ain’t worth it for me any more (I’m not even home for around half the games anyway). I also recently got the 4K box and the picture quality is poor (apart from the 4K channels).

Picture quality is better than Directv. I’ve had some drop outs and times when the screen just goes black. Customer support has been excellent. I’ve been using Firetv for a while now and never had a dropout issue, even with 4K content. I explained this to the Layer 3 guy and he straight away acknowledged the issue isn’t my ISP ( Spectrum).

I’ll keep,posting to this thread as things develop.

I have been thinking about Layer3 tv for awhile now but they require Spectrum internet which is horrible in my area. I am in an apt. and the people right next to me have Spectrum for their internet and they would not recommend it at all.

tenthplanet 05-05-2018 09:32 PM

If they can come up with a smaller basic package (say closer to 50 dollars) and maybe a break on the premium channels if you package them, or at least bring Cinemax down in price, I might give it a spin. It would be nice to have a hardware recorder with no cable cards, no tuning adaptors, and no fighting multi-path with OTA. I've been doing OTT services, cloud dvr's and there is a lot of work to be done. The stuff is fun to mess with but I've put with things that would drive your significant others, family, and possibly you...up the wall.
Ok John (John Legere, head of T-Mobile), your move...Please, like now ?

WVZR1 07-03-2018 08:53 AM

Any newer 'users' in the Wash DC DMA and Comcast/Xfinity? I'm contemplating 'Layer3 TV' from zip code 25414 and they say 'yes' for function. Do you run this through your AVR? Better than a year ago I saw a comment, can't control AVR power but looking at the remote function instructions it seems to now be available. Maybe a change in the remote offered previously. User Akc550 who mentioned being an employee was a 1 time poster.

It would have been good if he would have stuck around. I don't generally do a 'buy to try' but they mention 14 day money back and since there's 'no contract' you could leave at anytime. For me to use this I'd need to give up TiVo and CableCARD but maybe its time.

tenthplanet 07-04-2018 05:28 PM

I was looking at the latest channel listing and as comprehensive as it is, there was no El Rey channel. Darn...:(

TitusTroy 07-05-2018 04:21 PM

I've been keeping an eye on Layer3 ever since I heard about them expanding to NYC...I called today and the person told me that the latest rumors have them launching in NYC later this month...hopefully this is true...my FiOS contract runs out in September...

WVZR1 07-06-2018 09:25 PM

Mine is up, running and doing well. I've had no issues for the first 3 hours. I've used TiVo for 10 -12 years and this is going to be quite an experience. Like the OP/Thread Starter I have Xfinity and it's certainly less than ideal. I'm looking forward to a buy of a 65" 2160 display and I just didn't think Xfinity would do well. LAYER3 TV actually has some 4K content like DirecTV but you don't need any specialty hardware. Main box needs an Ethernet connection and the 'LITE' boxes connect WiFi/wired and it seems their main box creates the network needed. MoCA or Ethernet are option. I've installed only the MAIN so far.

I believe comparably priced or less than DirecTV or Dish with 'no rain fade'.

aaandreii 07-10-2018 12:34 AM

Got it installed today in Los Angeles area....first impressions..picture quality exceptional ,menu and guide are very smooth, it has 4 uhd channels as of right now and a lot of on demand uhd...The only complain so far is that the remotes are ir ..so u have to point..
Price wise, I'm paying 91$ after taxes with starz (34 starz channels..!) From next month its gonna be 81$ since I'm gonna have 10$ monthly discount for self install..

WVZR1 07-10-2018 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaandreii (Post 56466782)
Got it installed today in Los Angeles area....first impressions..picture quality exceptional ,menu and guide are very smooth, it has 4 uhd channels as of right now and a lot of on demand uhd...The only complain so far is that the remotes are ir ..so u have to point..
Price wise, I'm paying 91$ after taxes with starz (34 starz channels..!) From next month its gonna be 81$ since I'm gonna have 10$ monthly discount for self install..

I didn't get near the 'complementary' benefits that you got but doing some of the info links in the FAQ I believe the remote can be 'paired' to BlueTooth. Reading information I found elsewhere it seems the remote can also control 'POWER' for most AVR. I'm struggling with the remote after having TiVo for so long.

https://help.layer3tv.com/hc/en-us/a...ver-Bluetooth-

aaandreii 07-10-2018 01:06 AM

You should get 10$ off monthly for next 10 months if u did the self install....call them!
Yep...the remote controls the volume on the av....regarding the Bluetooth pairing I'm trying that right now..😀 thanks!

WVZR1 07-10-2018 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaandreii (Post 56466838)
You should get 10$ off monthly for next 10 months if u did the self install....call them!
Yep...the remote controls the volume on the av....regarding the Bluetooth pairing I'm trying that right now..😀 thanks!

Look at the instruction pamphlet that came in the remote. The instruction might have been there also. This link hints the 9700 will control AVR power also. I haven't tried either yet. I'm struggling with the UI vs TiVo for so long . This link isn't the information I saw a few days ago but it was the first set of 9700 information I came to. Layer3 told me NO several days ago and I just stumbled upon it somewhere trying to ID the remote branding. I'll try to find the info in the AM - it's 3:25 here and I believe I'll try to catch some sleep.



https://fccid.io/MG3-9700/User-Manua...Manual-2921963

aaandreii 07-10-2018 01:28 AM

Ok...paired them via Bluetooth...muuch better...Regarding the ui...I'm coming from uverse....tried also hulu live,directvnow and ps vue...this one feels like an upscale....never had tivo so i cannot coment on that...i guess u're just used to it..🙂

WVZR1 07-10-2018 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaandreii (Post 56466874)
Ok...paired them via Bluetooth...muuch better...Regarding the ui...I'm coming from uverse....tried also hulu live,directvnow and ps vue...this one feels like an upscale....never had tivo so i cannot coment on that...i guess u're just used to it..🙂

What do you have for a display/TV. If a 4K display I'm interested in how the Layer3 TV upscales vs maybe the other options you've tried. My primary reason to consider the change is I believe I'd like a new display. I've 64" 1080P PLASMA that this is great with, reason to consider not even considering a 4K display and just wait.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.