Youtube TV streaming service - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 285Likes

post #31 of 895 Old 01-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1817
I think they know that people are borrowing other peoples cable tv accounts to access their channels via streaming. So the answer... make it annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 895 Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I had been toying with cord cutting for a while, especially every month after seeing my $119 DirecTV bill when I just don't watch enough to justify. I tried the YTTV week trial and liked it enough to immediately cancel DTV. It's not perfect, but for the difference in price, easily worth it. The acid test for me was watching the NFL playoffs and college football championships last weekend. They were just fine.

Things I like - video quality is quite good, has all the channels I like except for the History channel, it's cheap, unlimited cloud storage and the native app on my nVidia Shield works great.

Things I don't like - doesn't work well with my Harmony remote, no channel numbers so you have to scroll through all channels to get to what you want, no 5.1 as others mentioned, no Apple TV native app yet, can't fast forward through commercials in on demand shows.

I've had it for two weeks now and am shocked at how easy it was to move on from DirecTV.
old corps likes this.

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-S910W
Samsung K8500
post #33 of 895 Old 01-13-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
I think they know that people are borrowing other peoples cable tv accounts to access their channels via streaming. So the answer... make it annoying.
We have two homes. One, we cut the cord last June and got YTTV. The other home we have Comcast incl. in our HOA dues. Thus, we can "legitimately" use CNNGo, (The main missing channel on YTTV), Com. Central, Samantha Bee on TBS, HBOGo etc. We use Roku to get missing channels. Do make use of Google Home to FF, Pause etc. via verbal commands.
We seem to have to sign in to CNN every couple weeks. The others less often. Advantage of CNNGo is that we also get CNN Intl. - which we don't even get on our Comcast acct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 895 Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Need better FF/REW.

I’ve been using PSVue for about a year coming from DirecTV. I have been trying out YTTV, running on an Nvidia Shield, for the last couple of days. In general I like it better. However, the one thing that will keep me from switching is the poor FF/REW capability on shows in the DVR. Using PSVue I can FF/REW in 10 sec increments by pressing right or left on the dpad and can also FF/REW up to 16x using the forward/back keys (when you do that you can also see full screen what you are FFing/REWing thru so you know where to stop). As far as I can tell the only thing I can do with YTTV is FF/REW in 15 sec increments with no ability to see what I’m FFing/REWing thru. Unfortunately that will be a deal breaker for me. I wish they would fix it. I like just about everything else better with YTTV.

Mark
post #35 of 895 Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I’ve been using PSVue for about a year coming from DirecTV. I have been trying out YTTV, running on an Nvidia Shield, for the last couple of days. In general I like it better. However, the one thing that will keep me from switching is the poor FF/REW capability on shows in the DVR. Using PSVue I can FF/REW in 10 sec increments by pressing right or left on the dpad and can also FF/REW up to 16x using the forward/back keys (when you do that you can also see full screen what you are FFing/REWing thru so you know where to stop). As far as I can tell the only thing I can do with YTTV is FF/REW in 15 sec increments with no ability to see what I’m FFing/REWing thru. Unfortunately that will be a deal breaker for me. I wish they would fix it. I like just about everything else better with YTTV.
You can go anywhere on the red status line w. the cursor and click on it to position where in the program you want to be. Easy to do when using a PC as the control device.
Or, you can use the cheap Google Home mini to give verbal commands like "pause TV", "Forward TV 2 and half minutes" (or 10 minutes or 30 seconds etc), or "Rewind x seconds or minutes".
post #36 of 895 Old 01-16-2018, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
You can go anywhere on the red status line w. the cursor and click on it to position where in the program you want to be. Easy to do when using a PC as the control device.
Or, you can use the cheap Google Home mini to give verbal commands like "pause TV", "Forward TV 2 and half minutes" (or 10 minutes or 30 seconds etc), or "Rewind x seconds or minutes".
Thanks for the post but unfortunately none of that solves my issue. As I said, I'm running on a Shield and have no desire to run on a PC so what you can or cannot do with a PC is not relevant, and I definitely have no desire to use voice commands (IMHO they take longer and are less convenient than pushing buttons on a remote). My issue is I either need to FF thru commercials and or segments of a show and so need to be able to see what I am FFing thru so that I can stop at the correct point. PSVue makes that very simple, TTTV does not currently. Unfortunately without that functionality I'll have to stay with PSVue.

Mark
post #37 of 895 Old 01-16-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the post but unfortunately none of that solves my issue. As I said, I'm running on a Shield and have no desire to run on a PC so what you can or cannot do with a PC is not relevant, and I definitely have no desire to use voice commands (IMHO they take longer and are less convenient than pushing buttons on a remote). My issue is I either need to FF thru commercials and or segments of a show and so need to be able to see what I am FFing thru so that I can stop at the correct point. PSVue makes that very simple, TTTV does not currently. Unfortunately without that functionality I'll have to stay with PSVue.
Agree that a physical remote is, by far, the best option. Hoping YTTV comes out w. Roku support. Voice commands could be programmed to work w.o. using "extra" spoken words.
post #38 of 895 Old 01-16-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And one correction. When FFing in PSVue you can go up to 64x (starting at 4x every time you click the FF button it doubles up to 64x) and while you do so you can see what you are FFing thru in full screen. That is a must have feature for me. Come on YTTV...if PSVUE can do it you can too!
old corps likes this.

Mark
post #39 of 895 Old 01-17-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Moving back and forth on the status bar with various increments works just fine for us on the shield. Using the shield remote (or any remote with sequential button pressing to control the shield) makes this easy to manage. As you FF/RW there are still shots displayed in the box that pops up. With my 30min and 1hr recordings I've never noticed or missed the ability to skip through at 64x because holding the "right" button down on the shield remote moves through the red bar very rapidly. When you find the correct frame, press "down" and it will play from that frame. Once I understood this I enjoyed stepping through commercials this way much more than previous options since I could easily see where I was skipping to without hearing any sort of audio until I resume playback

I've never used PC controls or voice commands for any of this
post #40 of 895 Old 01-17-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Moving back and forth on the status bar with various increments works just fine for us on the shield. Using the shield remote (or any remote with sequential button pressing to control the shield) makes this easy to manage. As you FF/RW there are still shots displayed in the box that pops up. With my 30min and 1hr recordings I've never noticed or missed the ability to skip through at 64x because holding the "right" button down on the shield remote moves through the red bar very rapidly. When you find the correct frame, press "down" and it will play from that frame. Once I understood this I enjoyed stepping through commercials this way much more than previous options since I could easily see where I was skipping to without hearing any sort of audio until I resume playback

I've never used PC controls or voice commands for any of this
If a little box came up with stil shots to see where I was I could definitely work with it. But I don’t get that on any of my DVR’d shows. The picture just freezes where I start FFing and then starts again when I resume play. That is the problem. On PSVue you don’t get any audio but the full screen video is live so you can see where to resume.
Don’t know why mine is different. I’m running on the 2017 Shield with all sw up to date and the latest YTTV app.

Mark
post #41 of 895 Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If a little box came up with stil shots to see where I was I could definitely work with it. But I don’t get that on any of my DVR’d shows. The picture just freezes where I start FFing and then starts again when I resume play. That is the problem. On PSVue you don’t get any audio but the full screen video is live so you can see where to resume.
Don’t know why mine is different. I’m running on the 2017 Shield with all sw up to date and the latest YTTV app.
You do know the difference between “YouTube TV” and “You Tube” right? Cause using “You Tube” I do get the pop up stills...not with “YouTube TV”...

Mark
post #42 of 895 Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Turns out it takes a little over 24 hours for the little thumbnails to be available when using FF/REW. I just checked some shows in my DVR that were recorded on or prior to 1/16 and now I get them. On anything that was recorded 1/17 or newer, not. And I like it better than the way PSVue does it. It might be time to say goodbye to PSVue.

Mark
post #43 of 895 Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One more question for current YTTV subscribers. Can you use your YTTV credentials to get access to channel apps? We use the Disney Junior app regularly for the grand children. I want to be sure I can still use that if I ditch PSVue and switch to YTTV.

Mark
post #44 of 895 Old 01-18-2018, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One more question for current YTTV subscribers. Can you use your YTTV credentials to get access to channel apps? We use the Disney Junior app regularly for the grand children. I want to be sure I can still use that if I ditch PSVue and switch to YTTV.
The answer appears to be yes - https://support.google.com/youtubetv..._topic=7128555

Mark
post #45 of 895 Old 01-18-2018, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Question How to delete recorded episode?

Newbie question:

On my PC, running YouTube TV through the chrome browser, I can set my account to record a show on the (cloud) DVR.

I can then delete the show, in which case it will stop recording. But I can't find an obvious way to delete a single episode, but continue to record that show.

I know it says that there is no storage limit - but I would still like to delete the episodes that I have watched.

Is there a way?
post #46 of 895 Old 01-19-2018, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
Newbie question:

On my PC, running YouTube TV through the chrome browser, I can set my account to record a show on the (cloud) DVR.

I can then delete the show, in which case it will stop recording. But I can't find an obvious way to delete a single episode, but continue to record that show.

I know it says that there is no storage limit - but I would still like to delete the episodes that I have watched.

Is there a way?
No, this is a shared Dvr not a personal one.
MRG1 likes this.
post #47 of 895 Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
I take that to mean that YouTube Live only stores one copy of of each program, not one / user.

But it would still be possible to do personal book keeping, not just by show, but by episode, so that each user can keep track of what he or she wants to watch in the future.

There is no way to do that?
post #48 of 895 Old 01-19-2018, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
I take that to mean that YouTube Live only stores one copy of of each program, not one / user.

But it would still be possible to do personal book keeping, not just by show, but by episode, so that each user can keep track of what he or she wants to watch in the future.

It's been a while since I've had You tube tv, but don't shows get marked as watched and default to new episodes?
MRG1 likes this.
post #49 of 895 Old 01-19-2018, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Yes, but if you read above, it will likely not hold the authorization. You will have to reauthorize it at least every day, but more annoyingly, every hour, right in the middle of watching something. Unusable in other than a once in a blue moon situation.
post #50 of 895 Old 01-19-2018, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

YTTV keeps asking for customer suggestions. Send them your idea. The few times I have contacted CS, never had to wait for more than a minute or 2.
MRG1 likes this.
post #51 of 895 Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
YTTV keeps asking for customer suggestions. Send them your idea. The few times I have contacted CS, never had to wait for more than a minute or 2.
Great idea!
post #52 of 895 Old 02-05-2018, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Looks like we finally have the roku and Apple TV apps... going to check this out again as all my TVs are roku TVs. I loved it when I tested in December only issue was no real interface on the tv... we’ll see how the app works but thinking this is my streaming service now, paired with Netflix....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
old corps likes this.
post #53 of 895 Old 02-05-2018, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post
Looks like we finally have the roku and Apple TV apps... going to check this out again as all my TVs are roku TVs. I loved it when I tested in December only issue was no real interface on the tv... we’ll see how the app works but thinking this is my streaming service now, paired with Netflix....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m just finishing my trial for the Apple TV 4K and while the price, streaming quality and DVR storage is very good I’m sticking with PS Vue as its still a little better and has the channels YT is missing.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #54 of 895 Old 02-08-2018, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Has anyone tried Youtube TV in the Albany/Schenectady, NY area yet? How is it on PC using Chrome, and ROKU?

Are the streams constant, or do they buffer a lot?
post #55 of 895 Old 02-08-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Definitely would love to see how it performs in the Long Island region on the roku. The xbox one experience was sub par.
post #56 of 895 Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hey guys,

Pulled the Trigger on YTTV a few days ago, like it so far. One thing I am unsure about is the "Live" grid view. It seems that you cannot look ahead in time to see what's upcoming. is this correct, or am I missing something?

If that is the case, then how do I find a future program that I'd like to record? For example, received an email that IMSA has a race called BMW Endurance Challenge, airing on FS1 on Saturday 8am ET.

Since the grid won't go ahead in time, I figured I have to search for this particular program (Since FS1 is part of the lineup), but this particular race / event is now showing up for me in the search results. Shouldn't it, since FS1 is part of the lineup?

thanks!
post #57 of 895 Old 02-09-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 2712
Quote:
Originally Posted by darreln View Post
Hey guys,

Pulled the Trigger on YTTV a few days ago, like it so far. One thing I am unsure about is the "Live" grid view. It seems that you cannot look ahead in time to see what's upcoming. is this correct, or am I missing something?

If that is the case, then how do I find a future program that I'd like to record? For example, received an email that IMSA has a race called BMW Endurance Challenge, airing on FS1 on Saturday 8am ET.

Since the grid won't go ahead in time, I figured I have to search for this particular program (Since FS1 is part of the lineup), but this particular race / event is now showing up for me in the search results. Shouldn't it, since FS1 is part of the lineup?

thanks!
You can only look at the next few hours for a given channel, this was the same problem PS Vue used to have on Roku's. Fox also has had some things you couldn't record on some of it's channels (streaming rights). Hold on...Try Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge in the search when I looked in the guide on Sling and DTV Now that's what's listed for 8am Eastern time for FS1. If that doesn't work then get up a few minutes before the race and hit record. Depending on your time zone the race may show up earlier.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #58 of 895 Old 02-10-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Is there any *broadcast* 4K content available through Youtube TV? For instance being able to watch the Olympics or occasional live sports in 4K, like what DirecTV makes available with their few 4K channels?
post #59 of 895 Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
You can only look at the next few hours for a given channel
Click on Live. Click on FS1. Scroll through (click on the arrow above the right top of the FS1 row to scroll) - you will see the next 24 hours of shows. When you find the show you want , click on the 3 vertical dots to the right of the text under the picture of the show. "Add" the show.

Admittedly, that only covers the next 24 hours, but that is more than you see on the grid.

As I write this, it is too late - it has already happened.

But in the future, good luck.
snidely and old corps like this.
post #60 of 895 Old 02-11-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Click on Live. Click on FS1. Scroll through (click on the arrow above the right top of the FS1 row to scroll) - you will see the next 24 hours of shows. When you find the show you want , click on the 3 vertical dots to the right of the text under the picture of the show. "Add" the show.

Admittedly, that only covers the next 24 hours, but that is more than you see on the grid.
Thanks. I have had service about 8 months and didn't know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page