Youtube TV streaming service - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 341Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #601 of 1068 Old 02-05-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I’ve watched NFL Sunday Ticket on the PS4 Pro and the TCL roku live with no performance issues. So I’ll try the Xbox One S and see what happens. It’s significantly more power than what most people stream on. If that doesn’t clear it up then it’s definitely a YouTubeTV issue which I’ll have to wait for them to resolve.


You mentioned that you turned on Stats for Nerds during the game and it reported 1080p, did you check the frame rate? If you had motion issues it may have been jitter from a 30 fps picture. I watched the game on the last day of my YTTV trial (on a ATV4K) and didn’t have those issues as others have stated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #602 of 1068 Old 02-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alives View Post
I had audio popping issues during the superbowl on YTTV. In the superbowl thread no one else reported this. Anyone else on YTTV notice it?
No
Tool Belt is offline  
post #603 of 1068 Old 02-06-2019, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
You mentioned that you turned on Stats for Nerds during the game and it reported 1080p, did you check the frame rate? If you had motion issues it may have been jitter from a 30 fps picture. I watched the game on the last day of my YTTV trial (on a ATV4K) and didn’t have those issues as others have stated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Super Bowl reported 60fps. I didn’t check the other stuff I tried watching. On my TV I use TrueCinema with proper settings to detect and remove judder from 24hz sources or etc. Its possible the app isn’t delivering the content correctly and therefore the TV isn’t processing correctly but it happened on 2 different TVs. On the Xbox One S for example it’ll switch to 24hz or etc when it’s proper to do so.

I’m gonna try it on my Xbox this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.
m_snow likes this.
acphydro is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #604 of 1068 Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I trialed YouTubeTV over the weekend on 2 different TVs. A Sony X900F using the native app for it and a TCL R617 using the roku app.

I came to the conclusion that they still have a lot of work to do. The PQ was good enough but the feeds I watched had issues with frames skipping or stuttering with camera pans or motion.

I watched some of the Super Bowl on both with the same settings I use for everything else including my regular directv, Netflix, Hulu and some other apps on both TVs and I just couldn’t stand the motion issues I experienced. I tried several channels and programs. I was hoping to switch from directv when they inevitably let me cancel without a nice discount to stay but to me this is nowhere near ready.
I have only noticed that kind of stuttering when watching ABC. I watched The Good Doctor last night (recorded in my Library, not VOD) and saw the stuttering fairly often. But I've not seen it on any other channel that I can recall. My TV is hardwired to my network. I definitely did NOT see anything like that when watching the Daytona 24 hour race, which was shown on NBCSN.
Evildad is offline  
post #605 of 1068 Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
But is the processor and network interface in a budget TV the same quality as an Ultra? Serious question, not snarky.
"Smart TVs" in my opinion are generally under powered and bloated with things. Kind of like that all in one 8 track/tuner/record player/.... from the 70's

As you can tell, not a fan especially in the budget series and I have Vizios in the house. I use external devices for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The built in ROku apps on the TCL are the same as an external ROku. From my experience with my 6 Series TCL they are identical. Only the apps on the TCL TV have access to DOlby Vision content along with HDR10. While the external ROku boxes only have access to HDR10. The Roku apps on the TCL TV have the same speed as my ROku Ultra and Streaming Stick+. And both the TCL ROku apps and external ROkus can send 7.1 DD+/Atmos from the appropriate content. As well as legacy DD and DTS.

Last edited by rakstr; 02-06-2019 at 10:40 AM.
rakstr is online now  
post #606 of 1068 Old 02-06-2019, 08:58 AM
IAH
Senior Member
 
IAH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Riverside, CA / Sag Harbor, NY
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I've had Zero problems with playback in the 4 months that I've had YTTV. Maybe its because I have my Shield hardwired? Or my location? But I've been quite happy with the streaming quality. Can't tell any difference in quality between cable and YTTV.

Audio is a different story...I'm still patiently waiting for them to provide true 5.1 playback. Right now I have my shield upmix to 5.1 - which works ok - but...

And of course, if a couple more of my favorite channels would be added, I'd be
IAH is offline  
post #607 of 1068 Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,579
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
The Super Bowl reported 60fps. I didn’t check the other stuff I tried watching. On my TV I use TrueCinema with proper settings to detect and remove judder from 24hz sources or etc. Its possible the app isn’t delivering the content correctly and therefore the TV isn’t processing correctly but it happened on 2 different TVs. On the Xbox One S for example it’ll switch to 24hz or etc when it’s proper to do so.

I’m gonna try it on my Xbox this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildad View Post
I have only noticed that kind of stuttering when watching ABC. I watched The Good Doctor last night (recorded in my Library, not VOD) and saw the stuttering fairly often. But I've not seen it on any other channel that I can recall. My TV is hardwired to my network. I definitely did NOT see anything like that when watching the Daytona 24 hour race, which was shown on NBCSN.
Evildad brings up a good point that the problems on CBS during the Super Bowl could also be a local affiliate issue. Sometimes with these OTT live TV services, the quality of the signal coming from hundreds of different local affiliates around the country can account for variations in user experiences (once hardware and WiFi network issues are removed from the equation). I remember in my 20 months with PS Vue, I would encounter problems with recordings from my local NBC affiliate that I didn't encounter with any other channel and that no one else seemed to have.
Zookster is online now  
post #608 of 1068 Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Evildad brings up a good point that the problems on CBS during the Super Bowl could also be a local affiliate issue. Sometimes with these OTT live TV services, the quality of the signal coming from hundreds of different local affiliates around the country can account for variations in user experiences (once hardware and WiFi network issues are removed from the equation). I remember in my 20 months with PS Vue, I would encounter problems with recordings from my local NBC affiliate that I didn't encounter with any other channel and that no one else seemed to have.
I realize that each channel could be of different quality at any given time even on a program by program basis which is why I tried several programs. I have no network issues and my equipment is hard wired in.

The only 2 constants I have are using YouTubeTV and internal apps across the 2 TVs I tested on. I do use the Sunday Ticket app normally on my PS4 Pro because it performs better on it than on my Sony TV but it performs good on the TCL. So possibilities are that the app isn’t up to snuff on either platform, it’s a YouTubeTV service issue or the app simply needs more muscle behind it.

I found a great deal on an Apple TV 4K 64gb and ordered one but in the meantime I’m gonna try the app out on the Xbox One and see what happens.
acphydro is online now  
post #609 of 1068 Old 02-08-2019, 03:15 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,956
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9312 Post(s)
Liked: 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
But is the processor and network interface in a budget TV the same quality as an Ultra? Serious question, not snarky.

"Smart TVs" in my opinion are generally under powered and bloated with things. Kind of like that all in one 8 track/tuner/record player/.... from the 70's



As you can tell, not a fan especially in the budget series and I have Vizios in the house. I use external devices for everything.
I can stream the same 100+ mbps UHD files on on my tcl over wireless as I can with my ultra and streaming stick+ over wireless.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #610 of 1068 Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Alives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Isn't it just doing HW h.264/h.265 decoding? And that would be unrelated to the CPU power of the SmartTV part I assume, though could be built into whatever CPU is in there.
Alives is offline  
post #611 of 1068 Old 02-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
reds75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I quit Dish after 11 years yesterday. I get yttv on a roku express. So far so good. I hope they can keep the price at 40 dollars for at least a while. There are so many channels , I wonder if yttv or Google is losing money .
reds75 is offline  
post #612 of 1068 Old 02-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Member
 
Alives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
You might also be able to ge the channels you want on PlutoTV for free...
beerhunt likes this.
Alives is offline  
post #613 of 1068 Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I wouldn't use any of the "built ins" on my Vizio as they under perform compared to the Ultra and ATV4K. They are also out of date. Also I've been told that gaming systems like the PS3/4 make very limited resources available to apps and I know that my PS3 is inadequate for things like PLEX.

Just my personal experience.

What app are you using on your TCL for this example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I can stream the same 100+ mbps UHD files on on my tcl over wireless as I can with my ultra and streaming stick+ over wireless.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
rakstr is online now  
post #614 of 1068 Old 02-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
OK, I've mentioned my issue with this jittery or stuttering motion effect on YTTV, I just posted the following in the forum for my Samsung TV, but I thought I'd post it here to see what you guys think.

I'm trying to switch over from Direct TV satellite to YouTube TV, but I have one issue, and I want to determine if it's the TV and/or the built-in YouTube app or not.

On shows I record on YouTube TV and then play back from the YouTube TV library (effectively DVR), ONLY shows on ABC have a jittery effect. During a camera move or people moving across the frame, the image will stutter during the motion. No other channel does this. I checked watching the same episodes on my PC using YouTube in the Chrome browser, and on my Android phone's YouTube app, and there's NO problem. It only happens on ABC shows on my TV using the YouTube TV app in the TV. I would think if it was the TV app, it would show up in other shows.

Another wrinkle: one ABC show we watch, episodes over a week old are On Demand, meaning they have commercials that you can't skip. On Demand episodes of that show DON'T stutter, only the most recent episode that is not yet On Demand has that stuttering effect.

My TV is hard wired to my LAN, so it's not my connection. This does not show up watching live TV via the YouTube app on the TV.

Someone in this (YTTV) forum mentioned the possibility of it being a problem with my local ABC station, but I can't see why it wouldn't affect YTTV in my browser or on my phone. My wife watches four shows on ABC, so I need to make this work so I can ditch the satellite.
Evildad is offline  
post #615 of 1068 Old 02-10-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildad View Post
OK, I've mentioned my issue with this jittery or stuttering motion effect on YTTV, I just posted the following in the forum for my Samsung TV, but I thought I'd post it here to see what you guys think.



I'm trying to switch over from Direct TV satellite to YouTube TV, but I have one issue, and I want to determine if it's the TV and/or the built-in YouTube app or not.



On shows I record on YouTube TV and then play back from the YouTube TV library (effectively DVR), ONLY shows on ABC have a jittery effect. During a camera move or people moving across the frame, the image will stutter during the motion. No other channel does this. I checked watching the same episodes on my PC using YouTube in the Chrome browser, and on my Android phone's YouTube app, and there's NO problem. It only happens on ABC shows on my TV using the YouTube TV app in the TV. I would think if it was the TV app, it would show up in other shows.



Another wrinkle: one ABC show we watch, episodes over a week old are On Demand, meaning they have commercials that you can't skip. On Demand episodes of that show DON'T stutter, only the most recent episode that is not yet On Demand has that stuttering effect.



My TV is hard wired to my LAN, so it's not my connection. This does not show up watching live TV via the YouTube app on the TV.



Someone in this (YTTV) forum mentioned the possibility of it being a problem with my local ABC station, but I can't see why it wouldn't affect YTTV in my browser or on my phone. My wife watches four shows on ABC, so I need to make this work so I can ditch the satellite.


Use YTTV Stats for Nerds on your TV and verify FPS. Should be 60 but if the recording is 30 fps that could be the problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #616 of 1068 Old 02-10-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
My menu seems to be an hour out of whack even to the point I'm getting the wrong recordings with the wrong labels. I've seen this in the past.
rakstr is online now  
post #617 of 1068 Old 02-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 354
@Evildad
To add to what @m_snow suggested, also check your TV info button for input framerate.

I suspect first run episodes are 30 or 60 fps but your on-demand is playing back in native framerate. You didn't mention your TV model? Some watchers are sensitive to the way modern TVs handle motion, particularly camera panning.

I have JS9500 which is the 2015 Samsung LCD/LED FALD flagship. I'm sure there are plenty better motion handling TVs out there and also since 2015 but camera pans of native 24p content rendered at 30 or 60 fps can be horrendous at a distance with quick camera pan. I hate this and much prefer native framerate when I can get it.

Just a guess. As a Samsung TV owner, it's a possibility. The nerd stats and TV info button combined would take the guess out if the equation.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
brotony is offline  
post #618 of 1068 Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Patsfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildad View Post
OK, I've mentioned my issue with this jittery or stuttering motion effect on YTTV, I just posted the following in the forum for my Samsung TV, but I thought I'd post it here to see what you guys think.

I'm trying to switch over from Direct TV satellite to YouTube TV, but I have one issue, and I want to determine if it's the TV and/or the built-in YouTube app or not.

On shows I record on YouTube TV and then play back from the YouTube TV library (effectively DVR), ONLY shows on ABC have a jittery effect. During a camera move or people moving across the frame, the image will stutter during the motion. No other channel does this. I checked watching the same episodes on my PC using YouTube in the Chrome browser, and on my Android phone's YouTube app, and there's NO problem. It only happens on ABC shows on my TV using the YouTube TV app in the TV. I would think if it was the TV app, it would show up in other shows.

Another wrinkle: one ABC show we watch, episodes over a week old are On Demand, meaning they have commercials that you can't skip. On Demand episodes of that show DON'T stutter, only the most recent episode that is not yet On Demand has that stuttering effect.

My TV is hard wired to my LAN, so it's not my connection. This does not show up watching live TV via the YouTube app on the TV.

Someone in this (YTTV) forum mentioned the possibility of it being a problem with my local ABC station, but I can't see why it wouldn't affect YTTV in my browser or on my phone. My wife watches four shows on ABC, so I need to make this work so I can ditch the satellite.
Which ABC shows are the problem show? What does it look like when you watch live through YTTV. Can you provide the stats for nerds on the live version, the dvr version, and the ondemand version? Only then can we rule out things about the framerate.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Patsfan123 is offline  
post #619 of 1068 Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,956
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9312 Post(s)
Liked: 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alives View Post
You might also be able to ge the channels you want on PlutoTV for free...
Are they commercial free? I mean can you skip over commercials?

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #620 of 1068 Old 02-11-2019, 07:58 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,956
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9312 Post(s)
Liked: 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I wouldn't use any of the "built ins" on my Vizio as they under perform compared to the Ultra and ATV4K. They are also out of date. Also I've been told that gaming systems like the PS3/4 make very limited resources available to apps and I know that my PS3 is inadequate for things like PLEX.

Just my personal experience.

What app are you using on your TCL for this example?
The plex app. It plays the UHD HDR10 video directly. While sending DTS from DTS-HD MA tracks. And sending DD+ from Dolby True HD tracks.

Plex on the TCL works the same as from my Roku Ultra and my Roku Streaming Stick+.

But for Plex I mostly use my Shield TV s since they can bitstream the lossless audio from the UHD files.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #621 of 1068 Old 02-11-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,579
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Are they commercial free? I mean can you skip over commercials?
PlutoTV is ad-supported TV. Any content without commercials would be an outlier, and there's no DVR functionality. Viacom just purchased PlutoTV, partly because they thought PlutoTV was underselling its ad space by more than 50%. So you can now expect even more commercials, along with paid add-on content from Viacom. Here's a good article about the merger:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/06/pl...-owner-viacom/
Zookster is online now  
post #622 of 1068 Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Still wanting to try out Youtube TV. But can't do it until they get SOME more channels. They don't have the A&E family of channels; e.g. A&E, History, Lifetime, etc. They don't the Discovery family of channels. WAY TOO Many channels to list. Also missing the Hallmark channels. (Those you can buy ala carte). But without the A&E family and Discovery Family; it's missing like 20 channels I want. The only way around it, is to separately get Philo to add to it. But who wants to have to swap between different apps just to see what's on tv. Youtube, Philo, + HBO and others.

But, for those who have Youtube. I've heard some pretty good things. If you've been with them a while, have you noticed that they have been adding channels? I'll keep checking back. Doesn't matter how good their quality, features, sound, etc. are, if they don't have the channels I'm wanting to watch.

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Christcorp is offline  
post #623 of 1068 Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,956
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9312 Post(s)
Liked: 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Still wanting to try out Youtube TV. But can't do it until they get SOME more channels. They don't have the A&E family of channels; e.g. A&E, History, Lifetime, etc. They don't the Discovery family of channels. WAY TOO Many channels to list. Also missing the Hallmark channels. (Those you can buy ala carte). But without the A&E family and Discovery Family; it's missing like 20 channels I want. The only way around it, is to separately get Philo to add to it. But who wants to have to swap between different apps just to see what's on tv. Youtube, Philo, + HBO and others.

But, for those who have Youtube. I've heard some pretty good things. If you've been with them a while, have you noticed that they have been adding channels? I'll keep checking back. Doesn't matter how good their quality, features, sound, etc. are, if they don't have the channels I'm wanting to watch.
I don't want to switch between services, but I do. Because that is the only way for me to avoid commercials. Plus get access to all the channels I want. No streaming provider offers a way to avoid commercials with all of their channels. So the only way for me to avoid commercials is to use multiple services. Which as a bonus, also saves me money.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #624 of 1068 Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,579
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Still wanting to try out Youtube TV. But can't do it until they get SOME more channels. They don't have the A&E family of channels; e.g. A&E, History, Lifetime, etc. They don't the Discovery family of channels. WAY TOO Many channels to list. Also missing the Hallmark channels. (Those you can buy ala carte). But without the A&E family and Discovery Family; it's missing like 20 channels I want. The only way around it, is to separately get Philo to add to it. But who wants to have to swap between different apps just to see what's on tv. Youtube, Philo, + HBO and others.

But, for those who have Youtube. I've heard some pretty good things. If you've been with them a while, have you noticed that they have been adding channels? I'll keep checking back. Doesn't matter how good their quality, features, sound, etc. are, if they don't have the channels I'm wanting to watch.
A year ago at this time YTTV added TNT, TBS, CNN, and Cartoon Network with the announcement of the $5 price increase to $40/mo. They've also since added some random channels that were probably pretty much free or minimal cost to them to add (Cheddar, Local Now, Tastemade, TYT, Start TV, Comet TV). In addition, I now have my live local CW. I would be surprised if any of the more popular/in-demand cable channels were added without a corresponding announcement of a price increase, which as has already been discussed in this thread, I really hope doesn't happen, as the current lineup is almost perfect to me as is (just NFL Network would be nice). And as I also said before it's good that each of the live TV services have distinct and diverse offerings. The sooner they all start carrying the same 200+ channels, the sooner they all turn into more overpriced bloated TV providers like cable and satellite, charging $100+/mo. for services. Not that we won't get there eventually.
rakstr and Ted99 like this.
Zookster is online now  
post #625 of 1068 Old 02-12-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,579
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
In regards to what I said above about it being good that the services are different in their offerings, here’s how the other services work (or don’t) for me (since no one asked 😉 ). These assessments are independent of any potential picture quality, interface, DVR functionality, and platform stability issues, as I haven’t personally experienced any of these services other than PS Vue to evaluate. In no particular order:

Hulu Live TV – The lack of AMC channels has always been a nonstarter for me, and now with recent price changes, this service would cost me +$20 over YTTV ($35/mo) to be able to fast-forward recordings.

PS Vue — If YouTube TV never came to my area, I’d still be with Vue. It now costs me +$15 to get the channel level with RSNs and many other sports channels, though it does include the NFL channel (among several others not on YTTV).

FuboTV — More like FUBAR TV. What the hell were they thinking creating a “sports-centric” service without ESPN? Regardless, if I won the lottery, I would add this to YouTube TV just to get the Pac-12 Network and a few other channels YTTV doesn’t carry. (And no, if I won the lottery, I would not go back to cable or satellite.)

Sling — Last time I calculated, I’m looking at paying at least +$30/month for add-on packages to get my must-have channels I currently get for $35/mo with YTTV. Also, no recording of ABC channels, ESPNs, etc. is a bit of a nonstarter.

DirecTV Now — Again, looking at paying +$30/month to get the tier that includes my must-have channels (CBS Sports Network for starters). Of course, I’d get a lot more in the bargain, but they are channels I wouldn’t really watch.

Philo — It's a nice supplement for YouTube TV, but it doesn't add anything I can't live without. I'd rather pay $15/mo for HBO Now.

Speaking of premiums, since using the "go" apps is the only way to get 5.1 from most of these services as a cord-cutter, I'm not bothered by using a separate app to access content as opposed to getting the live linear channels as part of my service. In fact, though YTTV does offer Starz, I currently sub directly through Starz and use the Starz app.
Zookster is online now  
post #626 of 1068 Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Zookster: I'm currently with DirectvNow, and overall they've been great. No outages except the one time for 4 hours in October. Excellent quality and all that. The only thing they don't offer me are Local Channels. That's not a total deal breaker, because I can get the main ones with an OTA antenna. But it would be nice to have the programming in a guide. (Without having to look it up on the internet to see what's on).

Obviously, DirectvNow is the most extensive of programming. I've got pretty much everything they offer, and it costs me $78 a month. That's $70 LESS PER MONTH for about the same programming I had with Directv Satellite. But again, they don't have locals. For me to use Youtube; OR Hulu, OR Vue; I'd have to add Philo to supplement it. With Hulu+Philo, I'd pay about $10-$12 a month more to equal DirectvNow. Vue+Philo would be about $15 a month more. Youtube+Philo would be about even with DirectvNow. But while Vue and Hulu with Philo would be 2 separate apps, Youtube + Philo + HBO would be 3 separate apps. You can see where that could be a little frustrating for the wife. I can give up many of the channels that adding Philo offers; but unless Youtube can get A&E family of channels as well as the Discovery family of channels; I'll have to wait longer to check it out.

Was just curious if anyone had heard anything from Youtube about adding more significant channels. I don't care at all about DVR. Not dogging those who use them, but just about anything I miss during it's normally scheduled time, is usually on On-Demand within 24 hours. I could care less about commercials. I watch MOVIES when I want to be commercial free. When I watch "TV", I grew up with commercials. It's not a big deal. That's how you schedule snack breaks, piss breaks, smoke breaks, etc. And because I don't do DVR, I am not trying to skip commercials.

I only care about live tv and On-Demand; as well as I'd LIKE to have locals and a "REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE" whereby I can speak with someone if I need to. I've been fortunate that I haven't had any problems with DirectvNow, but I can't even talk to them about not having locals. The Chat support folks are idiots and simply pass requests, gripes, problems, etc. up channel. They can't fix anything.

So it's a matter of WAITING to see who gets the channels first. Youtube, Hulu, or Vue. Thanks.
Zookster likes this.

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Christcorp is offline  
post #627 of 1068 Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I agree with Zookster. I've been with YTTV for just about a year now and am grandfathered at the $35/mos. The lineup is just about perfect for my needs when supplemented with an antenna and PLEX/EMBY/Other. Yes it means switching apps but it's not that bad.

I hope they do NOT add many more stations. There's already a bloat that I don't watch and this price point is great! Plus in the DFW market I've found about 35 OTA stations to replace a lot of the A&E/Discovery/... type programming. I thought I'd miss them when I cancelled DirecTV after 22 years but within a month I'd forgotten all about them.

I've got an ATV4K from the DTVN trial and ROKUs. I much prefer the ROKU Ultras primarily because of the remote.

YTTV is a home run for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Still wanting to try out Youtube TV. But can't do it until they get SOME more channels. They don't have the A&E family of channels; e.g. A&E, History, Lifetime, etc. They don't the Discovery family of channels. WAY TOO Many channels to list. Also missing the Hallmark channels. (Those you can buy ala carte). But without the A&E family and Discovery Family; it's missing like 20 channels I want. The only way around it, is to separately get Philo to add to it. But who wants to have to swap between different apps just to see what's on tv. Youtube, Philo, + HBO and others.

But, for those who have Youtube. I've heard some pretty good things. If you've been with them a while, have you noticed that they have been adding channels? I'll keep checking back. Doesn't matter how good their quality, features, sound, etc. are, if they don't have the channels I'm wanting to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
A year ago at this time YTTV added TNT, TBS, CNN, and Cartoon Network with the announcement of the $5 price increase to $40/mo. They've also since added some random channels that were probably pretty much free or minimal cost to them to add (Cheddar, Local Now, Tastemade, TYT, Start TV, Comet TV). In addition, I now have my live local CW. I would be surprised if any of the more popular/in-demand cable channels were added without a corresponding announcement of a price increase, which as has already been discussed in this thread, I really hope doesn't happen, as the current lineup is almost perfect to me as is (just NFL Network would be nice). And as I also said before it's good that each of the live TV services have distinct and diverse offerings. The sooner they all start carrying the same 200+ channels, the sooner they all turn into more overpriced bloated TV providers like cable and satellite, charging $100+/mo. for services. Not that we won't get there eventually.
rakstr is online now  
post #628 of 1068 Old 02-13-2019, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Use YTTV Stats for Nerds on your TV and verify FPS. Should be 60 but if the recording is 30 fps that could be the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
@Evildad
To add to what @m_snow suggested, also check your TV info button for input framerate.

I suspect first run episodes are 30 or 60 fps but your on-demand is playing back in native framerate. You didn't mention your TV model? Some watchers are sensitive to the way modern TVs handle motion, particularly camera panning.

I have JS9500 which is the 2015 Samsung LCD/LED FALD flagship. I'm sure there are plenty better motion handling TVs out there and also since 2015 but camera pans of native 24p content rendered at 30 or 60 fps can be horrendous at a distance with quick camera pan. I hate this and much prefer native framerate when I can get it.

Just a guess. As a Samsung TV owner, it's a possibility. The nerd stats and TV info button combined would take the guess out if the equation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Which ABC shows are the problem show? What does it look like when you watch live through YTTV. Can you provide the stats for nerds on the live version, the dvr version, and the ondemand version? Only then can we rule out things about the framerate.
Ganging these together to keep from stringing it all out.

My TV is a Samsung KS8000. It works great for everything else - DirecTV (yes, I'm still subscribed), YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, everything else on YouTube TV except these recorded ABC shows. I don't know where to find the "TV input button" @brotony mentioned, but I have gone into my TV settings to customize the picture quality to my eyes, and it's dandy everywhere except on this problem. I watched the full season of Formula One racing, some on DirecTV and some on YTTV, and I thought YTTV was better. It was carried by ESPN. Also watched the Daytona 24 race recently, no problems on YTTV either live or recorded on NBCSN.

Which ABC shows? Grey's Anatomy, The Good Doctor and A Million Little Things. (yes, my wife likes these soapy shows) Of these, it appears that after one week, A Million Little Things is offered in On Demand format and has commercials and has NO STUTTER problems.

Stats for nerds: I checked live ABC and these above recorded ABC shows and they all show
Viewport: 1920x1080
Current/Optimal Re: [email protected]/[email protected]

EXCEPT the On Demand version of A Million Little Things shows:
Viewport: 1920x1080
Current/Optimal Re: [email protected]/[email protected]

So On Demand is full HD and at classic film frame rate. I've attached shots off the screen to show the stats. In order left to right they are Grey's, Good Doctor, Million Things recorded and Million Things on demand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greys_Anatomy.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	753.1 KB
ID:	2525064   Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Good_Doctor.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	571.4 KB
ID:	2525066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Million_Things_recorded.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	792.8 KB
ID:	2525068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Million_Things_OnDemand.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	714.9 KB
ID:	2525070  
Evildad is offline  
post #629 of 1068 Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildad View Post
Ganging these together to keep from stringing it all out.



My TV is a Samsung KS8000. It works great for everything else - DirecTV (yes, I'm still subscribed), YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, everything else on YouTube TV except these recorded ABC shows. I don't know where to find the "TV input button" @brotony mentioned, but I have gone into my TV settings to customize the picture quality to my eyes, and it's dandy everywhere except on this problem. I watched the full season of Formula One racing, some on DirecTV and some on YTTV, and I thought YTTV was better. It was carried by ESPN. Also watched the Daytona 24 race recently, no problems on YTTV either live or recorded on NBCSN.



Which ABC shows? Grey's Anatomy, The Good Doctor and A Million Little Things. (yes, my wife likes these soapy shows) Of these, it appears that after one week, A Million Little Things is offered in On Demand format and has commercials and has NO STUTTER problems.



Stats for nerds: I checked live ABC and these above recorded ABC shows and they all show

Viewport: 1920x1080

Current/Optimal Re: [email protected]/[email protected]



EXCEPT the On Demand version of A Million Little Things shows:

Viewport: 1920x1080

Current/Optimal Re: [email protected]/[email protected]



So On Demand is full HD and at classic film frame rate. I've attached shots off the screen to show the stats. In order left to right they are Grey's, Good Doctor, Million Things recorded and Million Things on demand.


Thanks, so at least you can rule out stuttering and jitter for motion on YTTV from frame rate. Those are all performing correctly based on Stats for Nerds data.

I assume you’re saying this is repeatable for these same shoes and not a run off occurrence.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #630 of 1068 Old 02-13-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Hi Google,
If you add NFL Networks channel in your YTTV line up, you will gain another customer.
LOL, can't wait until it happens.
In the meantime, do anyone know how to watch entire SB LIII replay?
tinhvo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off