Youtube TV streaming service - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 318Likes

post #631 of 996 Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
Hi Google,
If you add NFL Networks channel in your YTTV line up, you will gain another customer.
LOL, can't wait until it happens.
https://support.google.com/youtubetv...etwork_request

Quote:
In the meantime, do anyone know how to watch entire SB LIII replay?
https://gamepass.nfl.com/packages

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 996 Old 02-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Done requesting!
Thanks Patsfan
post #633 of 996 Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Done requesting!
Thanks Patsfan
While we are at it if everyone could send feedback/requests for 5.1 or 7.2 audio....who knows, can't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 996 Old 02-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Thanks, so at least you can rule out stuttering and jitter for motion on YTTV from frame rate. Those are all performing correctly based on Stats for Nerds data.
It happens every time I watch those shows recorded. We just watched the full episode of The Resident on Fox recorded Monday night, no problems. Only ABC shows. I could schedule some more shows to see if it happens on others, but I'm pretty sure this is a good sample.
post #635 of 996 Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildad View Post
It happens every time I watch those shows recorded. We just watched the full episode of The Resident on Fox recorded Monday night, no problems. Only ABC shows. I could schedule some more shows to see if it happens on others, but I'm pretty sure this is a good sample.
Sounds like the ABC feed is messed up on the server end. Do you get the problem if you record a local program from your ABC affiliate, local news for example vs. a network program? Weird things like this have happened with cable and satellite too. It's not new.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #636 of 996 Old 02-14-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Sounds like the ABC feed is messed up on the server end. Do you get the problem if you record a local program from your ABC affiliate, local news for example vs. a network program? Weird things like this have happened with cable and satellite too. It's not new.
That sounds like a good idea. I just scheduled the noon local news, General Hospital this afternoon, and ABC World News Tonight. We'll see what those look like.
post #637 of 996 Old 02-15-2019, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I really like the cloud dvr so far. Alot of nice features.
tenthplanet and IAH like this.
post #638 of 996 Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea. I just scheduled the noon local news, General Hospital this afternoon, and ABC World News Tonight. We'll see what those look like.
So this was an interesting experience. That evening I checked my library and had that day's plus previous General Hospital episodes collected. When I watched the recording from that day, the sound was out of sync with the picture by at least a half second. Older episodes didn't show that problem, and they ran smoothly. (no stuttering video) The noon news didn't record, but ABC World News Tonight was on at that moment. When I tuned to the show (from the Library, not Live) and it asked me if I wanted to start from the beginning, I chose "from live," and it, too, had audio way out of sync from video. States for Nerds on all those shows were perfectly normal, and they did not have the video stuttering.

The next day, I checked on all those shows in my Library again, and they were all fine, with no video or audio issues. Local news in my library also looked fine.

If you are interested in seeing the issue I'm having with the prime time ABC shows (these were shot off the TV with my phone, so there's that), you can
check these clips - Edit: it appears I can't offer a link to a file on the web or at least to Google Photos.

Last edited by Evildad; 02-16-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #639 of 996 Old 02-18-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
I really like the cloud dvr so far. Alot of nice features.
Except when I scheduled a recording of the State of the Union Address on MSNBC, but the recording added to my library was from Fox News.
aaronwt, djb61230 and Zookster like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #640 of 996 Old 02-18-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Except when I scheduled a recording of the State of the Union Address on MSNBC, but the recording added to my library was from Fox News.
I actually asked YouTube TV about that on their official Twitter account a couple of hours before the SOTU, but never got a response and it was never fixed.
post #641 of 996 Old 02-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Has anyone ever paused YTTV ? I read their policy and it looks easy to do. I guess it keeps your recordings. I hope it would be easy to unpause it. Thanks for any comments.
post #642 of 996 Old 02-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So this was an interesting experience. That evening I checked my library and had that day's plus previous General Hospital episodes collected. When I watched the recording from that day, the sound was out of sync with the picture by at least a half second. Older episodes didn't show that problem, and they ran smoothly. (no stuttering video) The noon news didn't record, but ABC World News Tonight was on at that moment. When I tuned to the show (from the Library, not Live) and it asked me if I wanted to start from the beginning, I chose "from live," and it, too, had audio way out of sync from video. States for Nerds on all those shows were perfectly normal, and they did not have the video stuttering.
I'm having this exact same problem on an NVidia Shield going through an Onkyo receiver into a Panasonic TV. I did notice that if I go into the HDMI setting in the Shield and switch from the default 1080p59.94 to 1080p60, it seems to help. Haven't watched enough to know if the stuttering is completely gone, but will post back if I see an improvement. Very frustrating and currently preventing me from finally cancelling my cable.

Panasonic TC-P50S60 | NVidia Shield | Onkyo TX-NR709
post #643 of 996 Old 02-22-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Quote:

The next day, I checked on all those shows in my Library again, and they were all fine, with no video or audio issues. Local news in my library also looked fine.

If you are interested in seeing the issue I'm having with the prime time ABC shows (these were shot off the TV with my phone, so there's that), you can
check these clips - Edit: it appears I can't offer a link to a file on the web or at least to Google Photos.
It's their server DTV Now used to have some similar issues in the past, all you can do is report it. Most problems that people have with live streaming services are on the server end of the provider, not your connection or home equipment.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #644 of 996 Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Sure is a lot of fuss going on in the Directv Now forum. I’ll just sit back and mind my own business and watch the best streaming service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aaronwt, primetimeguy and Zookster like this.
post #645 of 996 Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmizzoufan View Post
Sure is a lot of fuss going on in the Directv Now forum. I’ll just sit back and mind my own business and watch the best streaming service.

Yeah, I figured this was coming and I bailed last month after a year and a half of DTVN. I miss the PQ but not enough to pay more for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aaronwt and Bigmizzoufan like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #646 of 996 Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DTV Now's DVR is abysmal. I have had YTTV since May after dumping DTVNow & Comcast TV which I trialed for a few weeks. I have ATT WatchTV with my cellular plan but I still recently subbed to Philo to get DVR ability on Discovery & Scripps network. Philo's interface is pretty advanced once you figure it out and the DVR is similar to YTTV.

I can't see anyone picking any current DTVNow plan vs doing YTTV and Philo and still saving $10 from the Max plan. You also get more channels with the combo.
aaronwt and Zookster like this.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #647 of 996 Old 03-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Yeah, I figured this was coming and I bailed last month after a year and a half of DTVN. I miss the PQ but not enough to pay more for it.

From everything I have read on this forum and other places, the PQ on both is close. Some give the slight edge to DTV Now but nothing drastic. The better UI, DVR, and DTV Now new plan news just sealed the deal for me on what trial I am going to try.
BriscoCountyJr likes this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #648 of 996 Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
From everything I have read on this forum and other places, the PQ on both is close. Some give the slight edge to DTV Now but nothing drastic. The better UI, DVR, and DTV Now new plan news just sealed the deal for me on what trial I am going to try.

Yep, for me YTTV works all around. UI, customer support, 3 streams and the best DVR. I agree the PQ is close but see my link below when I was doing an evaluation of YTTV. DTTV, as expected, had about 40% higher bitrate on average but both had the same resolution and frame rates. Still, I like YTTV better.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57528206

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #649 of 996 Old 03-14-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I only respond this one time as my name somehow got associated with that post and it was not an "evaluation" but a data point.

Not going down this rat-hole again other than to remind people that was two spot checks of data from different players on differing CDN nodes at different times of day from different ISPs in different parts of the Country during a time when YTTV was making changes only to refute earlier claims that were out dated and off base. It was NOT an evaluation or objective evaluation of anything.

It is interesting at best but now way shape or form any objective measure of PQ.

Sorry, but that's the reality.

Others have responded with similar statements on various threads.

Again, NOT going down this rat hole any further ....

Quote:
Yep, for me YTTV works all around. UI, customer support, 3 streams and the best DVR. I agree the PQ is close but see my link below when I was doing an evaluation of YTTV. DTTV, as expected, had about 40% higher bitrate on average but both had the same resolution and frame rates. Still, I like YTTV better.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post57528206

post #650 of 996 Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I only respond this one time as my name somehow got associated with that post and it was not an "evaluation" but a data point.

Not going down this rat-hole again other than to remind people that was two spot checks of data from different players on differing CDN nodes at different times of day from different ISPs in different parts of the Country during a time when YTTV was making changes only to refute earlier claims that were out dated and off base. It was NOT an evaluation or objective evaluation of anything.

It is interesting at best but now way shape or form any objective measure of PQ.

Sorry, but that's the reality.

Others have responded with similar statements on various threads.

Again, NOT going down this rat hole any further ....

Let the facts speak for themselves.
Sorry folks, that’s the actual results and it’s been verified in other regions by different people in this forum with different CDN’s. Some people have a hard time accepting facts. PQ is the one thing DTTV does well.

brotony likes this.

Mike
post #651 of 996 Old 03-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Let the facts speak for themselves.
Sorry folks, that’s the actual results and it’s been verified in other regions by different people in this forum with different CDN’s. Some people have a hard time accepting facts. PQ is the one thing DTTV does well.

Objective to some but a good data point for me. I appreciate the effort. There's also more than just PQ. I think AT&T is proving that in the long game.

I'm calling Tom Foolery on DTVN decision making. It's like they started putting all the pieces together and suddenly realized DTVN would be too competitive with their plans to transition subs from DirecTV satellite to streaming. There are other alternatives and whatever niche DTVN or DirecTV or AT&T offers from this point seem costly with more work to be done on the cloud DVR; after using their cloud DVR and seeing little to no improvement with it, they're definitely in the show-me category. From their standpoint, this only makes sense to have delayed the cloud DVR capacity, feature enhancement and reliability plans. I gave up months ago.

I'm hoping other streaming TV providers will consider carefully before taking AT&T's bold dare to join them in latest price hikes while thinning content. This is crazy. I truly think that AT&T is hoping they'll jump right in like last time. Unwise, IMO. Besides, that would just play right into AT&T's plans to pay their debt down quickly and gain market advantage. Keeping prices low is the only way to keep AT&T honest, IMO. Pay your debts the honest way, AT&T. And prove that you know how to make a better cloud DVR with capacity and features with a fair pricepoint.

Months from now, AT&T will be compelled to try again and harder, IMO.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
m_snow likes this.
post #652 of 996 Old 03-15-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Objective to some but a good data point for me. I appreciate the effort. There's also more than just PQ. I think AT&T is proving that in the long game.

I'm calling Tom Foolery on DTVN decision making. It's like they started putting all the pieces together and suddenly realized DTVN would be too competitive with their plans to transition subs from DirecTV satellite to streaming. There are other alternatives and whatever niche DTVN or DirecTV or AT&T offers from this point seem costly with more work to be done on the cloud DVR; after using their cloud DVR and seeing little to no improvement with it, they're definitely in the show-me category. From their standpoint, this only makes sense to have delayed the cloud DVR capacity, feature enhancement and reliability plans. I gave up months ago.

I'm hoping other streaming TV providers will consider carefully before taking AT&T's bold dare to join them in latest price hikes while thinning content. This is crazy. I truly think that AT&T is hoping they'll jump right in like last time. Unwise, IMO. Besides, that would just play right into AT&T's plans to pay their debt down quickly and gain market advantage. Keeping prices low is the only way to keep AT&T honest, IMO. Pay your debts the honest way, AT&T. And prove that you know how to make a better cloud DVR with capacity and features with a fair pricepoint.

Months from now, AT&T will be compelled to try again and harder, IMO.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I am one of those that shied away from switching to YouTubeTv from DTVNow...until this week. One of the reasons i kept DTVNow for so long was when i tested YTTV back in the felt the PQ was much below DTVnow on my LG OLED.

Revisiting it this week, i felt that the PQ was slightly better on DTVNow but i also felt that YTTV closed the gap significantly. Back in fall, I didnt want to take the PQ hit so i stayed with DTVNow.

This week i switched b/c YTTV has a WAY better UI, better DVR and quite frankly...the PQ was close to DTVNow in my eyes.
post #653 of 996 Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
I am one of those that shied away from switching to YouTubeTv from DTVNow...until this week. One of the reasons i kept DTVNow for so long was when i tested YTTV back in the felt the PQ was much below DTVnow on my LG OLED.

Revisiting it this week, i felt that the PQ was slightly better on DTVNow but i also felt that YTTV closed the gap significantly. Back in fall, I didnt want to take the PQ hit so i stayed with DTVNow.

This week i switched b/c YTTV has a WAY better UI, better DVR and quite frankly...the PQ was close to DTVNow in my eyes.
I think part of the more pleasing look to DTVNow is that they have the best deinterlacing I've ever seen. We know that all the major services are taking 1080i60 and converting to 1080p60 and DTV looks perfect regarding artifacts and smoothness. YTTV looks pretty good but occasionally I will see decombing artifacts and the overall motion is slightly less fluid.

post #654 of 996 Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Anyone else having trouble w. the YTTV app on Android phones today?
post #655 of 996 Old 03-20-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Anyone else having trouble w. the YTTV app on Android phones today?
I couldn't get it to stream more than a few seconds at a time to watch the baseball game around 8am but I attributed that to being on a moving train.

post #656 of 996 Old 03-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Question for y'all.

Thinking about leaving DirectvNow. So far; service has been perfect. I don't mind the $10 price increase. (Still saving $60+ a month over Satellite for same package). I'm grandfathered, so I still have all my channels.

Only reason I'm thinking of leaving is for Local channels. I've given DirectvNow 10 months and they still don't have local channels for my zip code. It's not a major issue, I can use an OTA antenna. But until the $10 price hike, DirectvNow had ALL the channels I wanted and they were about $10 cheaper than the others. "Cheaper, because ALL of the others; Vue, Hulu, and Youtube, I'd have to ADD Philo to it to get the same channels. BUT.... Now that it's basically the same exact price; give or take $2-$3 difference; I'm thinking of changing from DirectvNow to Youtube tv OR Hulu live tv. (Both of course with Philo).

Both Youtube and Hulu have their pros and cons. Hulu has both HBO and Starz that I want. Youtube doesn't, so I'd have to get HBO as a direct purchase from HBO. Both have my same locals. When combined with Philo, both offer pretty much the exact same channels. Youtube+Philo will be $5 less; however, DirectvNow, Hulu, and Fubo all raised their prices for live streaming tv within the last 30 days. Youtube and Vue haven't since last summer, so I am anticipating that both probably will shortly. So price is pretty much equal.

I have absolutely no use for DVR, so that's not an issue. Both youtube tv and hulu live tv have additional profiles. There's only me and my wife, so 2 streams are more than enough.

Just curious, especially for those who may have tried both, why you're with Youtube over Hulu. (I assume you're with Youtube tv because you're on the Youtube tv thread.

Thanks. Mike

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #657 of 996 Old 03-21-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
PQ is the one thing DTTV does well.
And price is one thing DTTV sucks at.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #658 of 996 Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Question for y'all.

Thinking about leaving DirectvNow. So far; service has been perfect. I don't mind the $10 price increase. (Still saving $60+ a month over Satellite for same package). I'm grandfathered, so I still have all my channels.

Only reason I'm thinking of leaving is for Local channels. I've given DirectvNow 10 months and they still don't have local channels for my zip code. It's not a major issue, I can use an OTA antenna. But until the $10 price hike, DirectvNow had ALL the channels I wanted and they were about $10 cheaper than the others. "Cheaper, because ALL of the others; Vue, Hulu, and Youtube, I'd have to ADD Philo to it to get the same channels. BUT.... Now that it's basically the same exact price; give or take $2-$3 difference; I'm thinking of changing from DirectvNow to Youtube tv OR Hulu live tv. (Both of course with Philo).

Both Youtube and Hulu have their pros and cons. Hulu has both HBO and Starz that I want. Youtube doesn't, so I'd have to get HBO as a direct purchase from HBO. Both have my same locals. When combined with Philo, both offer pretty much the exact same channels. Youtube+Philo will be $5 less; however, DirectvNow, Hulu, and Fubo all raised their prices for live streaming tv within the last 30 days. Youtube and Vue haven't since last summer, so I am anticipating that both probably will shortly. So price is pretty much equal.

I have absolutely no use for DVR, so that's not an issue. Both youtube tv and hulu live tv have additional profiles. There's only me and my wife, so 2 streams are more than enough.

Just curious, especially for those who may have tried both, why you're with Youtube over Hulu. (I assume you're with Youtube tv because you're on the Youtube tv thread.

Thanks. Mike

I tried Hulu and it has all of my locals except CW which YTTV has. I also use ATV4k and when I used Hulu it was a nightmare to navigate the app and actually get to the guide and the UI was not enjoyable. Reliability with YTTV is top notch and I also think the picture quality is almost as good as DTV Now.

post #659 of 996 Old 03-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Thanks mizz

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #660 of 996 Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
I've heard people say the PQ isn't as good on Hulu compared to YTTV. I've also heard Hulu has a lot of buffering issues. On the other hand, if you like Hulu's extensive on demand offerings and originals, that's a $6 savings, as regular Hulu is included in Hulu Live TV. I personally would rather watch HBO via the app than via live linear channels, or recordings thereof. It's easier to browse for HBO-specific content, and I'll know any movies are HBO's uncut/uncensored version and not some watered-down edited-for-TV version I might come across in the recommendations of whatever live TV app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page