Youtube TV streaming service - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 261Likes

post #661 of 781 Old 03-21-2019, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I've heard people say the PQ isn't as good on Hulu compared to YTTV. I've also heard Hulu has a lot of buffering issues. On the other hand, if you like Hulu's extensive on demand offerings and originals, that's a $6 savings, as regular Hulu is included in Hulu Live TV. I personally would rather watch HBO via the app than via live linear channels, or recordings thereof. It's easier to browse for HBO-specific content, and I'll know any movies are HBO's uncut/uncensored version and not some watered-down edited-for-TV version I might come across in the recommendations of whatever live TV app.
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard of a lot of improvements to hulu over the past year. Especially with some of the issues you mention. The thing with HBO, is that with Hulu you do get best of both worlds. Meaning, you get HBO on the traditional cable/tv guide method if you simple want to see or watch "What's on". But you still get the HBONow app; as well as 3rd party apps for most channels. So if you want to go and watch something directly on HBO, or watch something from the library, you get access to HBO Now. So in that regard, I guess it's a plus on the Hulu side. At least you have a choice.

The 3 things pushing me toward Youtube, is picture quality, price, and the guide vs Hulu. But from what I've been reading; the Hulu guide is being revamped and is expected to be upgraded shortly. But the Youtube guide is established and seems quite easy to navigate. The picture quality; I believe that Youtube is better, but with my Apple tv 4k upscaling everything to 2160p anyway, I'm not sure if there will be much of a visible difference. Especially with both services doing a lot of 720p and 1080p. And the price is tempting, but as I mentioned in my first post on this subject, providers seem to FOLLOW their COMPETITION. Last summer, they all raised their prices. This year, DirectvNow, Hulu live tv, and Fubo have all raised their prices for streaming live tv. I have a feeling that Youtube and Vue will probably follow shortly.

Hulu has the convenience of not having to order HBO separately or forced to watch HBO through the HBONow app. It's bad enough I'll have to change apps just for the Philo channels I want to watch. DAMN!!!! I'm getting a headache. Oh well. Gives me lots to think about.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 781 Old 03-21-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Question for y'all.

Thinking about leaving DirectvNow. So far; service has been perfect. I don't mind the $10 price increase. (Still saving $60+ a month over Satellite for same package). I'm grandfathered, so I still have all my channels.

Only reason I'm thinking of leaving is for Local channels. I've given DirectvNow 10 months and they still don't have local channels for my zip code. It's not a major issue, I can use an OTA antenna. But until the $10 price hike, DirectvNow had ALL the channels I wanted and they were about $10 cheaper than the others. "Cheaper, because ALL of the others; Vue, Hulu, and Youtube, I'd have to ADD Philo to it to get the same channels. BUT.... Now that it's basically the same exact price; give or take $2-$3 difference; I'm thinking of changing from DirectvNow to Youtube tv OR Hulu live tv. (Both of course with Philo).

Both Youtube and Hulu have their pros and cons. Hulu has both HBO and Starz that I want. Youtube doesn't, so I'd have to get HBO as a direct purchase from HBO. Both have my same locals. When combined with Philo, both offer pretty much the exact same channels. Youtube+Philo will be $5 less; however, DirectvNow, Hulu, and Fubo all raised their prices for live streaming tv within the last 30 days. Youtube and Vue haven't since last summer, so I am anticipating that both probably will shortly. So price is pretty much equal.

I have absolutely no use for DVR, so that's not an issue. Both youtube tv and hulu live tv have additional profiles. There's only me and my wife, so 2 streams are more than enough.

Just curious, especially for those who may have tried both, why you're with Youtube over Hulu. (I assume you're with Youtube tv because you're on the Youtube tv thread.

Thanks. Mike

It’s very reliable and the app and UI are very, very good. The PQ is almost as good as DTVN and you probably won’t notice a difference. Getting the channels you want is the biggest thing but it sounds like you have a plan for that. The Hulu UI was just too complicated to use IMHO.
I never knew how much I missed DVR until I switched in fact the straw that broke then camels back was having to watch the Super Bowl at 720p 30fps because I recorded it and as usual DTVN screwed it up in my region and there was no one to call or email to get satisfaction...YTTV excels at customer service and DVR. While I was watching that crumby SB recording I couldn’t help notice that YTTV was sponsoring the first half.
Bottom line, DTVN is going in the wrong direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #663 of 781 Old 03-22-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Question for y'all.

Thinking about leaving DirectvNow. So far; service has been perfect. I don't mind the $10 price increase. (Still saving $60+ a month over Satellite for same package). I'm grandfathered, so I still have all my channels.

Only reason I'm thinking of leaving is for Local channels. I've given DirectvNow 10 months and they still don't have local channels for my zip code. It's not a major issue, I can use an OTA antenna. But until the $10 price hike, DirectvNow had ALL the channels I wanted and they were about $10 cheaper than the others. "Cheaper, because ALL of the others; Vue, Hulu, and Youtube, I'd have to ADD Philo to it to get the same channels. BUT.... Now that it's basically the same exact price; give or take $2-$3 difference; I'm thinking of changing from DirectvNow to Youtube tv OR Hulu live tv. (Both of course with Philo).

Both Youtube and Hulu have their pros and cons. Hulu has both HBO and Starz that I want. Youtube doesn't, so I'd have to get HBO as a direct purchase from HBO. Both have my same locals. When combined with Philo, both offer pretty much the exact same channels. Youtube+Philo will be $5 less; however, DirectvNow, Hulu, and Fubo all raised their prices for live streaming tv within the last 30 days. Youtube and Vue haven't since last summer, so I am anticipating that both probably will shortly. So price is pretty much equal.

I have absolutely no use for DVR, so that's not an issue. Both youtube tv and hulu live tv have additional profiles. There's only me and my wife, so 2 streams are more than enough.

Just curious, especially for those who may have tried both, why you're with Youtube over Hulu. (I assume you're with Youtube tv because you're on the Youtube tv thread.

Thanks. Mike
I left DTVN for YTTV about a week before the price change. The main reason was my desire to watch and record all IndyCar + Formula 1 races this season. Other than the loss of some programming compared to DTVN I'm enjoying the switch and finding the DVR much more reliable.

FYI - Just received an offer from DTVN asking me to return to my grandfathered plan with a $10 discount for 6-months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 781 Old 03-22-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Have you looked into a PLEX or EMBY server? Or a "canned" solution like Tivo or Tablo? The former requiring upfront setup costs and the latter two both that and recurring costs.

I've got a PLEX and EMBY server running. I already had a 24/7 i7-4770 Windows box running for other things. Up front costs could be as low as $100 for a Hauppauge quad tuner and $120 for a lifetime pass (lower if you already own some of this!).. I've got 3 of the tuner cards (12 tuners) and 8Tb recording space.

At first I thought the switching from app to app would be way too problematic but I've gotten used to it.

YTTV and the 100ish OTA stations in the DFW market is all I need. I came from 22 years of a top tier DirecTV setup. Forgot about it in less than a month

Quote:
Question for y'all.

Thanks. Mike
post #665 of 781 Old 03-22-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
YTTV and the 100ish OTA stations in the DFW market is all I need. I came from 22 years of a top tier DirecTV setup. Forgot about it in less than a month
That is a point that is often overlooked. When I had DTV satellite years ago, I decided that the particular plan I had, was not worth the monthly cost. So, to save money, I contacted them and told them to move me to the next plan down. They informed that I would loose about 25+ channels, some of which I did not want to loose. Long story short, after a while I just got use to not having those channels, and enjoyed the savings.

The same thought process went into selecting YTTV (still on trial). Before deciding, I kept track of the discussions on the YTTV and DTV NOW threads. I noticed a common response was, "DTV NOW has more channels" on the DTV NOW thread. At the end of the day, if you want all the channels, than that service works for your. But, more channels doesn't make it a better service if you dont' watch "those" channels.

I've never tried DTV Now, so I can't compare. But if the PQ is similar and the UI and DVR are better, which I read about often, than that negates the more channel argument, IMO.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 03-22-2019 at 10:15 AM.
post #666 of 781 Old 03-22-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 165
PQ, interface and DVR are all very good in YTTV. I did try DTVN side by side for 3 months. I've never been sorry I selected YTTV and got grandfathered at $35/mos!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
That is a point that is often overlooked. When I had DTV satellite years ago, I decided that the particular plan I had, was not worth the monthly cost. So, to save money, I contacted them and told them to move me to the next plan down. They informed that I would loose about 25+ channels, some of which I did not want to loose. Long story short, after a while I just got use to not having those channels, and enjoyed the savings.

The same thought process went into selecting YTTV (still on trial). Before deciding, I kept track of the discussions on the YTTV and DTV NOW threads. I noticed a common response was, "DTV NOW has more channels" on the DTV NOW thread. At the end of the day, if you want all the channels, than that service works for your. But, more channels doesn't make it a better service if you dont' watch "those" channels.

I've never tried DTV Now, so I can't compare. But if the PQ is similar and the UI and DVR are better, which I read about often, than that negates the more channel argument, IMO.
post #667 of 781 Old 03-22-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6106 Post(s)
Liked: 5636
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard of a lot of improvements to hulu over the past year. Especially with some of the issues you mention. The thing with HBO, is that with Hulu you do get best of both worlds. Meaning, you get HBO on the traditional cable/tv guide method if you simple want to see or watch "What's on". But you still get the HBONow app; as well as 3rd party apps for most channels. So if you want to go and watch something directly on HBO, or watch something from the library, you get access to HBO Now. So in that regard, I guess it's a plus on the Hulu side. At least you have a choice.

The 3 things pushing me toward Youtube, is picture quality, price, and the guide vs Hulu. But from what I've been reading; the Hulu guide is being revamped and is expected to be upgraded shortly. But the Youtube guide is established and seems quite easy to navigate. The picture quality; I believe that Youtube is better, but with my Apple tv 4k upscaling everything to 2160p anyway, I'm not sure if there will be much of a visible difference. Especially with both services doing a lot of 720p and 1080p. And the price is tempting, but as I mentioned in my first post on this subject, providers seem to FOLLOW their COMPETITION. Last summer, they all raised their prices. This year, DirectvNow, Hulu live tv, and Fubo have all raised their prices for streaming live tv. I have a feeling that Youtube and Vue will probably follow shortly.

Hulu has the convenience of not having to order HBO separately or forced to watch HBO through the HBONow app. It's bad enough I'll have to change apps just for the Philo channels I want to watch. DAMN!!!! I'm getting a headache. Oh well. Gives me lots to think about.
Thanks for all the feedback.

I’d wait until the new Hulu interface rolls out fully then do free trials of both services to see which one works best for you. The only “bad” thing about OTT that it’s highly dependent on your home setup and isp connection to CDN. With the free trials of both you’ll be able to get hands on experience and see which one meets your needs the best. I started using Hulu recently for their OnDemand library and quickly set up a new account for commercial free (I get the ad supported version with my Spotify). The quality has been very good with their on demand content thus far.

Like you I still have DTVN, but I’m a price increase away from switching to YTTV or Hulu Live. I’ll be testing both out when that time comes, but since I get HBO with my cell phone plan, I’d just keep it since HBOGO is all I really need.
post #668 of 781 Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I’d wait until the new Hulu interface rolls out fully then do free trials of both services to see which one works best for you. The only “bad” thing about OTT that it’s highly dependent on your home setup and isp connection to CDN. With the free trials of both you’ll be able to get hands on experience and see which one meets your needs the best. I started using Hulu recently for their OnDemand library and quickly set up a new account for commercial free (I get the ad supported version with my Spotify). The quality has been very good with their on demand content thus far.

Like you I still have DTVN, but I’m a price increase away from switching to YTTV or Hulu Live. I’ll be testing both out when that time comes, but since I get HBO with my cell phone plan, I’d just keep it since HBOGO is all I really need.
Fortunately for me, my home network and isp are excellent. I’ve been into networking and such, literally for more than 40 years. Before Al Gore ever invented the internet. Of the different streaming tv services I’ve tried, NONE of them have buffering, loading, stalling, etc. issues. My network is very well tweaked. I’ve got 4 different WiFi networks running, all different channels, Good Ethernet throughout the house. Very good qos on my devices. And half of it runs through vpn’s and still no problems.

I’ve just signed up a trial on both Hulu and yttv. I’ve had Hulu classic (no live tv) for years, so I’m sort of use to the very BUSY interface. I’ll run them both for a week and see what happens. I’ve already notice some things that are weird. E.g. everyone knows that the Hulu channel guide only shows what’s on now and what’s NEXT. That’s true..... on my roku. But on my Apple TV 4K, the guide goes out 24 hours. Load times on both Hulu tv and yttv for changing channels are both quicker than directvNow. Yttv guide and interactive is definitely cleaner and easier, Hulu while more complicated, does over much more “once you get use to it”. The real determination will be the “wife factor”. I’ve been doing this stuff for way too long. I can get use to it. The wife on the other hand, barely can spell IP or DSL. Thanks for all the inputs.

Michael

post #669 of 781 Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Fortunately for me, my home network and isp are excellent. I’ve been into networking and such, literally for more than 40 years. Before Al Gore ever invented the internet. Of the different streaming tv services I’ve tried, NONE of them have buffering, loading, stalling, etc. issues. My network is very well tweaked. I’ve got 4 different WiFi networks running, all different channels, Good Ethernet throughout the house. Very good qos on my devices. And half of it runs through vpn’s and still no problems.

I’ve just signed up a trial on both Hulu and yttv. I’ve had Hulu classic (no live tv) for years, so I’m sort of use to the very BUSY interface. I’ll run them both for a week and see what happens. I’ve already notice some things that are weird. E.g. everyone knows that the Hulu channel guide only shows what’s on now and what’s NEXT. That’s true..... on my roku. But on my Apple TV 4K, the guide goes out 24 hours. Load times on both Hulu tv and yttv for changing channels are both quicker than directvNow. Yttv guide and interactive is definitely cleaner and easier, Hulu while more complicated, does over much more “once you get use to it”. The real determination will be the “wife factor”. I’ve been doing this stuff for way too long. I can get use to it. The wife on the other hand, barely can spell IP or DSL. Thanks for all the inputs.

That’s why I suggested waiting. Hulu is rolling out a new interface that goes out 14 days.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu...ser-interface/
post #670 of 781 Old 03-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That’s why I suggested waiting. Hulu is rolling out a new interface that goes out 14 days.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu...ser-interface/
The guide looking forward isn’t my most important things. So I’ll be able to evaluate the rest of the two services to get an idea. I wish either Hulu or yttv had a complete lineup of channels. Then I wouldn’t have to add a Philo to the mix. It’s not the additional cost, it’s flipping back and forth between 2 apps to watch what I want. It’s easy when you want to watch something specific. It sucks when you’re simply channel surfing wanting to see what interests you.

Michael

post #671 of 781 Old 03-23-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1515 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
The guide looking forward isn’t my most important things. So I’ll be able to evaluate the rest of the two services to get an idea. I wish either Hulu or yttv had a complete lineup of channels. Then I wouldn’t have to add a Philo to the mix. It’s not the additional cost, it’s flipping back and forth between 2 apps to watch what I want. It’s easy when you want to watch something specific. It sucks when you’re simply channel surfing wanting to see what interests you.

If YTTV had more “complete” lineup of channels it would cost more. I sort of like it as is. My wife wishes it had Hallmark and HGTV but there has to be some trade offs for price, usability and reliability (not to mention full customer support).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BiggAW, PlasmaHiDef and Keithian like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #672 of 781 Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
If YTTV had more “complete” lineup of channels it would cost more. I sort of like it as is. My wife wishes it had Hallmark and HGTV but there has to be some trade offs for price, usability and reliability (not to mention full customer support).

Completely agree. At first I was concerned that I'd be missing one or two channels, but I've quickly come to realize that between Netflix, Youtubetv, and Amazon prime plus the occasional dabbing into HBO (westworld, games of thrones) and CBS all access (star trek) to watch complete seasons all in one month, I can't keep up with everything I would like to watch.
Zookster likes this.
post #673 of 781 Old 03-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Supposedly they are in talks with Viacom to add their channels, but it’s just a rumor at this point. I would guess if they added Viacom there would be a price increase.
post #674 of 781 Old 03-23-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Supposedly they are in talks with Viacom to add their channels, but it’s just a rumor at this point. I would guess if they added Viacom there would be a price increase.
If the increase was $5 or even $10 that would be better than adding $16 for Philo. But it's nice to have the choice.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #675 of 781 Old 03-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Yes, but I'm currently paying an EXTRA $20 for Philo, to get everything I want. So if YTTV was more because of more channels; I'd still save money, assuming the additional channels were the one's I wanted. Just sort of wish both hulu and yttv had multiple packages like vue. Then we would ALL be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
If the increase was $5 or even $10 that would be better than adding $16 for Philo. But it's nice to have the choice.
Yea; I'd be willing to have a YTTV package that was $20 MORE per month, if it had all the channels that Philo has in it. Then I'd be paying the same, but only dealing with 1 app.

Actually; Philo must have figured SOMETHING out correctly. Of their 57 channels; ONLY 8 of them are duplicated on YTTV. ONLY 11 are duplicated with Hulu live tv. My biggest channel issue with YTTV is it doesn't carry the A&E family of channels. I like the History channel, Lifetime, A&E, etc. It would also be nice if it had the various Discover channels as well as hallmark. Plus YTTV doesn't carry HBO, so that's another app I'll have to get.

Hulu on the other hand, Has those channels, but they don't carry the AMC family of channels, some of the discovery channels, hallmark channels, etc. Except for DirectvNow (Before the change), no other streaming service had ALL of the channels. So, I am relegated to adding Philo to pretty much ANY service I get. The one good thing about have BOTH YTTV or Hulu AND having Philo; if one service is down for whatever reason, I still have half of my channels available. And I don't need more than 2 screens streaming because the viewing is split up among 2 services.

Michael

post #676 of 781 Old 03-24-2019, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
The wife on the other hand, barely can spell IP or DSL. Thanks for all the inputs.
Hope "The wife" doesn't see your post, or that she (or a friend or child) doesn't figure out you are you!
post #677 of 781 Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Cord-cutting as a money-saving measure simply isn't for everyone. If you need every channel cable/sat TV offers, you might be better off sticking with your current service. If you just want a "skinny bundle" sampling of some, but not all, cable channels, which you can then supplement (or not) with Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. then it's a good thing that these services vary in their offerings. The YouTube TV channel lineup comes the closest in meeting my needs, and is only one or two channels away from being perfect. But I'm more than happy to pay a small fraction of what I was paying for cable to sacrifice those channels.

Though I'm sure it's an eventuality, I'd prefer YTTV didn't turn into a tiered service like PS Vue or the former DTV Now. Invariably, a favorite channel gets moved from the base package into a higher tier, forcing you to pay $10/mo if you want to continue accessing that channel.
rakstr, BiggAW and m_snow like this.
post #678 of 781 Old 03-25-2019, 11:31 AM

I just started my free trial recently. As a new user, there is a very confusing feature that I hope YTTV fixes ASAP.

I'm coming from a traditional DVR where you can set it to record new episodes only. I am bummed that once you select a series, it records all the older episodes too. That creates a messy experience. This is a black eye on an otherwise great service. The one saving grace is the "new to your library' section puts the new episodes first so you don't have to hunt around, but the clutter of the older episodes is unwelcomed.

On the other hand, it does blow FIOS PQ out of the water and the cheaper price is lovely.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #679 of 781 Old 03-25-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just started my free trial recently. As a new user, there is a very confusing feature that I hope YTTV fixes ASAP.

I'm coming from a traditional DVR where you can set it to record new episodes only. I am bummed that once you select a series, it records all the older episodes too. That creates a messy experience. This is a black eye on an otherwise great service. The one saving grace is the "new to your library' section puts the new episodes first so you don't have to hunt around, but the clutter of the older episodes is unwelcomed.

On the other hand, it does blow FIOS PQ out of the water and the cheaper price is lovely.
It's better to think of YouTube TV's DVR as working like Netflix, where if you add a show to your queue, you get all seasons, current and future. Where this really doesn't work for me, and I contacted YTTV about it, is with YouTube's own originals, as the episodes get listed in reverse order. The very first time I watched a YouTube Original, Cobra Kai, I inadvertently watched the last episode of the first season because when I clicked on the show's image in my Home menu, it fed me the "newest" (last) episode. And then when you access the originals through the library menu, you have to scroll all the way to the end to get the first episode.
post #680 of 781 Old 03-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cord-cutting as a money-saving measure simply isn't for everyone. If you need every channel cable/sat TV offers, you might be better off sticking with your current service. If you just want a "skinny bundle" sampling of some, but not all, cable channels, which you can then supplement (or not) with Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. then it's a good thing that these services vary in their offerings. The YouTube TV channel lineup comes the closest in meeting my needs, and is only one or two channels away from being perfect. But I'm more than happy to pay a small fraction of what I was paying for cable to sacrifice those channels.

Though I'm sure it's an eventuality, I'd prefer YTTV didn't turn into a tiered service like PS Vue or the former DTV Now. Invariably, a favorite channel gets moved from the base package into a higher tier, forcing you to pay $10/mo if you want to continue accessing that channel.
Maybe. I say that, because with Directv Satellite, the package I had, costs $150 per month. If I complain enough, some months I'd get a discount down to $130. With DirectvNow; I had just about all of the same channels, including HBO and Starz. My monthly cost was $78. That's just about HALF OFF. Even with the $10 price increase, the price is $88. That's still a $62 a month savings. Switching NOW to Hulu or YTTV + Philo; both will cost me about the same price as DirectvNow; $85-$89. But NOW I can my Local Channels. The only drawback is I have to bounce between 2 separate apps. Hulu or YTTV & Philo.

So, I disagree that if you need ALL the channels that it's better to keep cable or satellite. On the contrary. You can easily save a lot of money streaming vs cable or satellite. Even with the LARGEST package. If I took PS Vue; largest plan of $79; which INCLUDES HBO and Showtime, even if I added PHILO for $20 and another $20 for Starz and Cinemax; the total price would be less than $120 which is STILL CHEAPER than what I paid for satellite. And streaming has many more advantages.

Michael

post #681 of 781 Old 03-25-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe. I say that, because with Directv Satellite, the package I had, costs $150 per month. If I complain enough, some months I'd get a discount down to $130. With DirectvNow; I had just about all of the same channels, including HBO and Starz. My monthly cost was $78. That's just about HALF OFF. Even with the $10 price increase, the price is $88. That's still a $62 a month savings. Switching NOW to Hulu or YTTV + Philo; both will cost me about the same price as DirectvNow; $85-$89. But NOW I can my Local Channels. The only drawback is I have to bounce between 2 separate apps. Hulu or YTTV & Philo.

So, I disagree that if you need ALL the channels that it's better to keep cable or satellite. On the contrary. You can easily save a lot of money streaming vs cable or satellite. Even with the LARGEST package. If I took PS Vue; largest plan of $79; which INCLUDES HBO and Showtime, even if I added PHILO for $20 and another $20 for Starz and Cinemax; the total price would be less than $120 which is STILL CHEAPER than what I paid for satellite. And streaming has many more advantages.
I personally wouldn't factor in the price of "if I complain enough." I hated performing that annual song and dance and was glad to be rid of it.

At any rate, I assume you were paying for more than one outlet? That's where the real savings kick in (at least in my case). If I got DTV Now's old max channel package or PS Vue's Elite, I wouldn't be saving a ton of money. Some, but not enough to justify completely changing how I watch TV and getting used to a new system. When I cut the cord (three years ago), the TV portion of my cable bill was just north of $100 (for a single two-tuner DVR receiver/service). If I had upgraded to multiple receivers (even just one more) and the whole-home DVR service, that would've added at least $25-$30 to my bill. That's why OTT works out so well for me, as I get the "whole home" experience, including kitchen, home office, and bathroom () for free!
post #682 of 781 Old 03-25-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I know none are listed, so it's a shot in the dark, but are there any Blu-Ray players (standard or UHD) that have a YTTV app?

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Ultimate & Hub | AT&T Fiber 300 | SmartThings | Google Home, Hub, Mini, etc
post #683 of 781 Old 03-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I personally wouldn't factor in the price of "if I complain enough." I hated performing that annual song and dance and was glad to be rid of it.

At any rate, I assume you were paying for more than one outlet? That's where the real savings kick in (at least in my case). If I got DTV Now's old max channel package or PS Vue's Elite, I wouldn't be saving a ton of money. Some, but not enough to justify completely changing how I watch TV and getting used to a new system. When I cut the cord (three years ago), the TV portion of my cable bill was just north of $100 (for a single two-tuner DVR receiver/service). If I had upgraded to multiple receivers (even just one more) and the whole-home DVR service, that would've added at least $25-$30 to my bill. That's why OTT works out so well for me, as I get the "whole home" experience, including kitchen, home office, and bathroom () for free!
With Directv "Satellite", they only charge an extra $5 a month for a 2nd receiver. That's part of the $150 a month I was paying. I just quoted the LARGEST Vue package; with HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax; and ALSO adding $20 for Philo; and it would still be more than $30 a month savings over what I paid for with Satellite.

Streaming is definitely cheaper. Now; for the individual who only wants the BASIC cable type plan; and combines it with their internet; there probably isn't a big savings if you get the $40-$45 a month low end streaming plan. It's all dependent on what you want. I'm just saying, that for the people who get the HIGH END Satellite or cable, you'll easily pay $150 (or more). So streaming is definitely cheaper.

Michael

post #684 of 781 Old 03-26-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
It's better to think of YouTube TV's DVR as working like Netflix, where if you add a show to your queue, you get all seasons, current and future. Where this really doesn't work for me, and I contacted YTTV about it, is with YouTube's own originals, as the episodes get listed in reverse order. The very first time I watched a YouTube Original, Cobra Kai, I inadvertently watched the last episode of the first season because when I clicked on the show's image in my Home menu, it fed me the "newest" (last) episode. And then when you access the originals through the library menu, you have to scroll all the way to the end to get the first episode.
They key difference is Netflix is organized. If you watch a series, they break the episodes up by Season 1, Season 2, etc. "If" YTTV is attemping to mirror Netflix, they need use that format.

A lot of users have been complaining about that for at least the last 5 months, from the research I have done. Nothing has changed since then. All YTTV needs to do it let the user select "record new episodes only" and problem is solved. Then, if the user wants to watch older shows, they can go to the VOD section.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #685 of 781 Old 03-26-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They key difference is Netflix is organized. If you watch a series, they break the episodes up by Season 1, Season 2, etc. "If" YTTV is attemping to mirror Netflix, they need use that format.

A lot of users have been complaining about that for at least the last 5 months, from the research I have done. Nothing has changed since then. All YTTV needs to do it let the user select "record new episodes only" and problem is solved. Then, if the user wants to watch older shows, they can go to the VOD section.
Recorded shows' episodes are divided up by season in my YTTV Roku app, so maybe it's different depending on the device one is using. I've been very active in the Facebook YTTV group for more than a year, and I've never heard this issue come up. People often complain about shows not being properly marked as watched or unwatched, but I've never heard anyone mention a show's episodes not being organized by season.

EDIT: A note regarding the attached image: of course you're only going to see multiple seasons if they have aired and have been recorded since you've been a YTTV subscriber. I have all these Walking Dead episodes due to the reairings and marathons on AMC.

EDIT2: I should also note, this isn't a new feature and has always been this way as far as I can remember when it comes to shows that I have more than one season's worth of recordings for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roku library screen.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2544476  

Last edited by Zookster; 03-26-2019 at 09:02 AM.
post #686 of 781 Old 03-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Wanted to thank everyone for their input and assistance. I think YTTV is a very good and stable platform. I also think hulu+tv is also pretty stable. They both looked about the same to me for video quality. YTTV a bit better. Probably with my Apple tv 4k upscaling both, it's pretty similar. I definitely like the guide in YTTV better than Hulu+tv. I also like the YTTV method of geolocation. But I don't travel where I'd need to use a Roku or Apple, so it's not a big deal. Both carry the same local channels. DVR isn't a feature I use.

For now, I'm going to go with Hulu+tv. More for the convenience factor. It's bad enough I have to have 2 apps; hulu+Philo, but with YTTV I'd have to have a 3rd one. YTTV+Philo+HBO because YTTV doesn't carry HBO. Also, I already have Hulu classic, so getting their Live TV will save me that additional $6 I was paying.

But the good thing is, there is no such thing as contracts, so I can always leave and go to YTTV later if it doesn't work out as is.

Thanks again. Mike
Ph8te likes this.

Michael

post #687 of 781 Old 03-27-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Recorded shows' episodes are divided up by season in my YTTV Roku app, so maybe it's different depending on the device one is using. I've been very active in the Facebook YTTV group for more than a year, and I've never heard this issue come up. People often complain about shows not being properly marked as watched or unwatched, but I've never heard anyone mention a show's episodes not being organized by season.

EDIT: A note regarding the attached image: of course you're only going to see multiple seasons if they have aired and have been recorded since you've been a YTTV subscriber. I have all these Walking Dead episodes due to the reairings and marathons on AMC.

EDIT2: I should also note, this isn't a new feature and has always been this way as far as I can remember when it comes to shows that I have more than one season's worth of recordings for.
Walking Dead fan too I see....

I just started my trial 4 days ago so my DVR has not "grown" that much with that many TWD episodes. As the older shows reair, I am sure they will be added to my library. So yes, you are correct, and I did not explain my issue as well as I thought. My library looks just like that on my ATV, but all the season's have not loaded up yet.

My main point goes back to the "traditional" DVR that I am leaving behind. For example, I had it set up to only record the new episodes of TWD. If I needed/wanted to view older episodes, I could just use the AMC app and their VOD library. YTTV just puts everything in one place which is some what convenient in itself. If you want to check out older episodes, this is great in that it's all in one place. I would just prefer a new episodes only section. Not a deal breaker for me. Just a personal preference.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 03-27-2019 at 05:41 AM.
post #688 of 781 Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Walking Dead fan too I see....
Was. I haven't watched the past few episodes. But that's the great thing about YTTV's unlimited DVR. I can sit on all these episodes, for at least nine months, to decide if I want to watch them.

Quote:

My main point goes back to the "traditional" DVR that I am leaving behind. For example, I had it set up to only record the new episodes of TWD. If I needed/wanted to view older episodes, I could just use the AMC app and their VOD library. YTTV just puts everything in one place which is some what convenient in itself. If you want to check out older episodes, this is great in that it's all in one place. I would just prefer a new episodes only section. Not a deal breaker for me. Just a personal preference.
It's definitely a trade off. At this point, for me, the fact that I no longer have to manage my storage space, deleting everything as I watch or decide not to watch, outweighs the clutter of having seasons and episodes in my library I can't delete. I record every local sports event (MLB, college basketball and football) whether or not I plan to watch. I have entire seasons of shows from last summer I'm slowly getting around to (or not). I have a movie mini-library. And I can watch it all throughout my house without paying an additional $30-$40/mo. in fees and box rental. I don't think I could ever go back to a traditional DVR.
post #689 of 781 Old 03-27-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
YTTV is by far the best targeted CoIP/vMVPD service out there. I'm a cord cutting right now, but I'm thinking about getting a CoIP/virtual cord service like YTTV for the debates and the 2020 Olympics/election supercycle, and I've looked at all of the channel lineups, and they're all a mess except for YTTV. YTTV has ALL the Olympics, ALL the news/debates, and ALL of the sports channels for Connecticut sports (some other markets aren't as good). There are only a few channels of garbage, like a few from Disney that got crammed in with ESPN, but otherwise, it's a clean, lean channel lineup that is extremely well targeted to cover all the areas where live tv excels with very little of the garbage that makes 400 channel lineups.
Zookster likes this.
post #690 of 781 Old 03-28-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
YTTV is by far the best targeted CoIP/vMVPD service out there. I'm a cord cutting right now, but I'm thinking about getting a CoIP/virtual cord service like YTTV for the debates and the 2020 Olympics/election supercycle, and I've looked at all of the channel lineups, and they're all a mess except for YTTV. YTTV has ALL the Olympics, ALL the news/debates, and ALL of the sports channels for Connecticut sports (some other markets aren't as good). There are only a few channels of garbage, like a few from Disney that got crammed in with ESPN, but otherwise, it's a clean, lean channel lineup that is extremely well targeted to cover all the areas where live tv excels with very little of the garbage that makes 400 channel lineups.
I wouldn't worry too much about the "garbage" channels. YTTV has a great guide customization feature that allows you to set up your guide with only the channels you want and in the order you want them listed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page