Youtube TV streaming service - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 341Likes

post #691 of 1068 Old 03-28-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
The guide looking forward isn’t my most important things. So I’ll be able to evaluate the rest of the two services to get an idea. I wish either Hulu or yttv had a complete lineup of channels. Then I wouldn’t have to add a Philo to the mix. It’s not the additional cost, it’s flipping back and forth between 2 apps to watch what I want. It’s easy when you want to watch something specific. It sucks when you’re simply channel surfing wanting to see what interests you.
I hear people say that but what's so hard and switching app? One routinely change apps to get to other services. What's the difference here. And with YTTV and Philo the differences in the kinds of programming are really night and say.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1068 Old 03-28-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
YouTube TV now says it's officially in every US market: https://twitter.com/YouTubeTV/status...54900698333184
post #693 of 1068 Old 03-28-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the "garbage" channels. YTTV has a great guide customization feature that allows you to set up your guide with only the channels you want and in the order you want them listed.
They're not an issue, my point was that if you get too many garbage channels, it drives the cost of the package up, which is where DTVN is at, and then Hulu and a few others are sort of haphazard, with some of the news/Olympics/sports channels missing. YTTV hit the nail on the head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 1068 Old 03-29-2019, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
I hear people say that but what's so hard and switching app? One routinely change apps to get to other services. What's the difference here. And with YTTV and Philo the differences in the kinds of programming are really night and say.

Normally, a person as well as myself, would switch apps for a specific purpose. i.e. Watch DirectvNow, or Hulu TV, or YTTV, or Playstation vue, or slingtv, etc. SPECIFICALLY to watch "TV'. Which MANY times, means "Channel SURFING". Meaning, you don't know what's on, but you're looking for something to catch your interests.

You switch to the Netflix, or Prime, or HBO, etc. app SPECIFICALLY to watch a particular show/movie/etc. These apps I, and many people don't go to, to "SURF". I'm in the mood for something and don't know what........ No, that's not why I, and many others go there. We have a specific series or movie in mind. TV is totally different.

BUT.... because ONLY DirectvNow HAD all of the channels pretty much available, it was the only service you could get away with just ONE service. For those who didn't use DirectvNow, their choice was to COMPROMISE the channels they got; OR add a 2nd service like Philo to the list to get the channels they were missing. That is where CONTINUALLY switching apps come in. For MANY people, they spend the majority of their time "Watching TV". They go to the OTHER apps for the occasions when they want to watch something specific. But for the majority of the time, having to continually bounce back and forth between 2 apps to WATCH TV can be a PITA.
dan4081 likes this.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #695 of 1068 Old 03-30-2019, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Normally, a person as well as myself, would switch apps for a specific purpose. i.e. Watch DirectvNow, or Hulu TV, or YTTV, or Playstation vue, or slingtv, etc. SPECIFICALLY to watch "TV'. Which MANY times, means "Channel SURFING". Meaning, you don't know what's on, but you're looking for something to catch your interests.

You switch to the Netflix, or Prime, or HBO, etc. app SPECIFICALLY to watch a particular show/movie/etc. These apps I, and many people don't go to, to "SURF". I'm in the mood for something and don't know what........ No, that's not why I, and many others go there. We have a specific series or movie in mind. TV is totally different.

BUT.... because ONLY DirectvNow HAD all of the channels pretty much available, it was the only service you could get away with just ONE service. For those who didn't use DirectvNow, their choice was to COMPROMISE the channels they got; OR add a 2nd service like Philo to the list to get the channels they were missing. That is where CONTINUALLY switching apps come in. For MANY people, they spend the majority of their time "Watching TV". They go to the OTHER apps for the occasions when they want to watch something specific. But for the majority of the time, having to continually bounce back and forth between 2 apps to WATCH TV can be a PITA.
It's all TV. Switching apps is just pressing buttons on a remote. One can make it harder than what it actually is is they like. The real compromise is accepting an inferior, service to keep from pressing what turns out to be a couple of different buttons.

Somebody can convince themselves something is a pain in the ass all day long and it becomes so. I will admit I no longer channel surf which probably keeps me from understanding that mentality in a world where I have hundreds of hours of curated programming at my fingertips.

post #696 of 1068 Old 03-30-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Normally, a person as well as myself, would switch apps for a specific purpose. i.e. Watch DirectvNow, or Hulu TV, or YTTV, or Playstation vue, or slingtv, etc. SPECIFICALLY to watch "TV'. Which MANY times, means "Channel SURFING". Meaning, you don't know what's on, but you're looking for something to catch your interests.....
Two different approaches. My (92 year old) Mother channel-surfs CONSTANTLY. She's better off with cable/satellite, which provides her with many choices to catch her attention (if only for a few seconds). On the other hand my girlfriend and I rarely channel-surf. We are currently committed to Dish till the end of the year. but I am looking at OTT solutions for after that. Channel line-ups are the focus of my research. I won't rule out multiple providers - switching on the Roku is not too much work. But if I can find a lineup that combines the channels we watch regularly with a reasonable price, I'll go that route.
Much more important than channel-surfing ease.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #697 of 1068 Old 03-30-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
The channel surfing paradigm is obsolete at this point. A decade or more ago, we switched to guide surfing, and now content discovery is through the Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc apps that display many show options that you can start whenever you want, have trailers, etc. Most people never really utilized DVRs properly, i.e. knowing what you're going to watch a week ahead of when it airs, having all your scheduling set up, and then watching stuff completely asynchronously from when it was aired. Now, everyone is picking what they want to watch and when they want to watch it, only because it's now the easiest/laziest way to consume TV.
post #698 of 1068 Old 03-31-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Two different approaches. My (92 year old) Mother channel-surfs CONSTANTLY. She's better off with cable/satellite, which provides her with many choices to catch her attention (if only for a few seconds). On the other hand my girlfriend and I rarely channel-surf. We are currently committed to Dish till the end of the year. but I am looking at OTT solutions for after that. Channel line-ups are the focus of my research. I won't rule out multiple providers - switching on the Roku is not too much work. But if I can find a lineup that combines the channels we watch regularly with a reasonable price, I'll go that route.
Much more important than channel-surfing ease.

I was kind of a surfer before I got YTTV (and Philo). I didn't really like the YTTV interface when I got started. But the YTTV home view throws up the shows you are likely to watch and has reduced my surfing. But you can still do it from the guide, for me I wind up clicking on the same shows the home screen had layed out for me. I actually have started liking this YTTV approach better.

And I would like to see YTTV pick up Philo channels, the Philo interface is OK but I prefer YTTV. Also, Philo doesn't have the individual family member profiles, an awesome feature for YTTV. Browsing for something to watch over two apps certainly isn't ideal.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 03-31-2019 at 04:04 AM.
post #699 of 1068 Old 03-31-2019, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked: 4344
Thread rolled back to the most recent remotely on-topic post.

Stay on topic, please.
HDMI Guy and Sammy2 like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #700 of 1068 Old 04-05-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Anybody checked out YTTV in the Fitzy AndroidTV App yet?

I have YTTV and Philo which is also in there too.

I'm going to give it a go and see if Fitzy will give me an integrated guide worth using..
dan4081 likes this.

post #701 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Just made a bold move...

https://9to5google.com/2019/04/10/yo...rice-increase/

"Starting today, YouTube TV costs $49.99 per month for new members that sign-up on the web or Android. Users that are billed through Apple will be charged $54.99 to account for the App Store in-app purchase fee.

The last price increase of $5 to $40 took place in February 2018, and accompanied the addition of more channels. However, existing users were grandfathered into a $35/month rate.

That is not the case with today’s pricing increase and all existing subscribers will be charged $49.99 starting May 13th. Like before, YouTube TV is adding new channels, namely the Discover network: Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend."
post #702 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Just made a bold move...

"Starting today, YouTube TV costs $49.99 per month for new members that sign-up on the web or Android. Users that are billed through Apple will be charged $54.99 to account for the App Store in-app purchase fee.

The last price increase of $5 to $40 took place in February 2018, and accompanied the addition of more channels. However, existing users were grandfathered into a $35/month rate.

That is not the case with today’s pricing increase and all existing subscribers will be charged $49.99 starting May 13th. Like before, YouTube TV is adding new channels, namely the Discover network: Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend."
Interesting. I know some people who are using Philo separately just to get HGTV and Food Network, so they could get rid of Philo and still save with the price increase
Sepen, Ph8te and Ben23 like this.

Cheers
post #703 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Kind of pisses me off that I don't have an option to keep what I have. It was already perfect at $35/mos with the existing channels. I don't need all these extra channels. That was the whole point of going through all this. Even if they changed my $35 to $40 I'd be happier.

This is the channel and price creep many of us have been worried about. In a couple years the Cableco Humpty Dumpty will be back in full force

NOT good news from my perspective......

Quote:
Just made a bold move...

Ben23 likes this.
post #704 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Interesting. I know some people who are using Philo separately just to get HGTV and Food Network, so they could get rid of Philo and still save with the price increase
Yep. I'm sure that's exactly how the execs at YTTV framed it. With unlimited cloud DVR, YTTV is incredibly attractive now. If I didn't get my DirecTV satellite bill dramatically lowered ($27/month), I know YTTV would be the first thing I'd try out now.
post #705 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Kind of pisses me off that I don't have an option to keep what I have. It was already perfect at $35/mos with the existing channels. I don't need all these extra channels. That was the whole point of going through all this. Even if they changed my $35 to $40 I'd be happier.

This is the channel and price creep many of us have been worried about. In a couple years the Cableco Humpty Dumpty will be back in full force

NOT good news from my perspective......
And conversely, your point is perfectly valid as well. I'm sure their discussions involved an analysis of customers that this would anger versus potential growth moving forward, and they chose the latter. As long as the pricing doesn't get out of hand, I can definitely see their position from a business POV. $50 will hopefully be seen as the sweet spot for a while, and hopefully the competition will do its job to keep the pressure on each other. Of course, who am I kidding right? I just hope it doesn't completely devolve into a scenario similar to current cell phone plans where they don't really compete with one another, and the consumer ultimately gets screwed. Ugh...
post #706 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I'll take screwed consumer for $500 Alex!

Quote:
And conversely, your point is perfectly valid as well. I'm sure their discussions involved an analysis of customers that this would anger versus potential growth moving forward, and they chose the latter. As long as the pricing doesn't get out of hand, I can definitely see their position from a business POV. $50 will hopefully be seen as the sweet spot for a while, and hopefully the competition will do its job to keep the pressure on each other. Of course, who am I kidding right? I just hope it doesn't completely devolve into a scenario similar to current cell phone plans where they don't really compete with one another, and the consumer ultimately gets screwed. Ugh...
aaronwt and Ben23 like this.
post #707 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I didnt quite expect this amount of an increase,and no History channel.
claw and DERG like this.
post #708 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
THAT is exactly the situation we are on. So essentially the price increase will save us money.

Ultimately though, the percentage increase is way too large. I am afraid this is a portent of things to come.

Last edited by Tool Belt; 04-10-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #709 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
YTTV couldn't have handled this worse for grandfathered customers. A 42% price increase for 8 channels most of us don't really need (or we wouldn't be with YTTV in the first place) and not even a $5 discount or extended grace period? Nothing to stop me from shopping around and going back to PS Vue for a while (until they raise prices again or fold). If it wasn't for sports, I'd drop live TV altogether at this point.
rakstr, stevealtman21 and Ben23 like this.
post #710 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Though I will probably stay as its still in an OK price range, much higher and I will be leaving. One thing that is keeping me is the ability to stream to my Google Home devices. If it wasn't for that, I might have left already. They should have included Comedy Central as well.
post #711 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
I don't mind price increases. DirectvNow just raised theirs. Hulu raised theirs last month. Fubo raised theirs in February. A lot is based on what the programmers and distributors are charging for the programming.

I also have Philo to supplement missing channels. Unfortunately, even with adding the few channels like discovery, they don't have any of the A&E family of channels like A&E, History channel, Lifetime, FYI, viceland. And they are also missing some others. So I still need Philo. It would be nice to have one provider that has all the channels I want.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #712 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Looking this over it is nothing but a price INCREASE being as they are missing quite a few channels that are available on Philo. Now to re-consider what is really a necessity to watch to see if keeping Philo is, in fact, worth it.

post #713 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Call YouTube TV and ask for original plan. 35 for original plan with same channels. 40 for the initial price increase with same channels. And whatever they're asking now.

Fair? I think Google marketing should consider the price increases were AT&T bait to help repay debt and compete later. Also makes it comfortable for newcomers to enter market at higher price. Keep pricing low for cord cutters so we're not thinking prices meet cable in very short time.

Edit: I spoke with YTTV customer support today, elaying adding a few channels on par less than Philo is not justifying price increase. The agent said he's heard the suggestion repeated numerous times today and has been forwarding these to YTTV marketing team. I echoed the same with warning that breaking up channels to higher tiers may increase churn. No one likes having the one important bumped to a higher tier just to justify paying the highest tier. The original plans should be offered, same channels in original plans.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by brotony; 04-10-2019 at 04:30 PM.
post #714 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3250
Quote:
Competition won't lower content acquisition costs, but scale can minimize cost increases for services that have ads. Services need to have enough channels that most people want, or there is no scale to be had. Every service will have channels that not all of us want. Wait till Philo has a price increase, the trolls in the CCN comment sections who lose their s____ big time.
Ben23 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."

Last edited by tenthplanet; 04-10-2019 at 07:02 PM.
post #715 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Just got the email, saw the amount in the Price increase. I'm disconnecting the service. I'm fine with my OTA Antenna, and Plex DVR.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #716 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
They (like DTVN and others in the future) have decided it is better to shed some customers and lose less money than keep it at the current price and keep losing money. None of these streamers were making a dime given the cost of channels. I will admit I'm surprised Google was the next to do a price raise. I actually thought with their deep pockets that they could afford to lose more money than the other players in the game and hold out the longest on a price increase.

For me, I can't be surprised that replacing pay-TV in it's current model with pay-TV using the same model (with only the delivery method being changed) results in eventually the same costs. Until we can convince the older, traditional viewer that the model is broken (and that just changing the delivery method doesn't make you a 'cordcutter') - the current stakeholders invested in the current model will still try to invent new ways to present that model. Fortunately, the younger the consumer, the less likely they appear to be interested in the various pay-TV offerings so hopefully the current model is entering senior citizen status and is relegated to a nice rest home within 10 years. :-)
post #717 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4752 Post(s)
Liked: 4269
these Live TV streaming services are becoming less and less of a deal with all these price increases...the whole point of people cutting the cord was to save $$...if they're going to pay close to the same amount then most people will just stick with traditional cable TV...
post #718 of 1068 Old 04-10-2019, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
YTTV couldn't have handled this worse for grandfathered customers. A 42% price increase for 8 channels most of us don't really need (or we wouldn't be with YTTV in the first place) and not even a $5 discount or extended grace period? Nothing to stop me from shopping around and going back to PS Vue for a while (until they raise prices again or fold). If it wasn't for sports, I'd drop live TV altogether at this point.
That's almost exactly what I told them when I verified the increase was really closer to 43%. We will never watch any of those extra channels. They should've set up tiered system and let people pay extra if they wanted for the extra channels. Although I do watch ESPN on occasion, I would even drop the Disney/ESPN channels which costs YTTV lots of money. The A's Warriors, Giants all have free streaming.
PlasmaHiDef and Keithian like this.
post #719 of 1068 Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
That's almost exactly what I told them when I verified the increase was really closer to 43%. We will never watch any of those extra channels. They should've set up tiered system and let people pay extra if they wanted for the extra channels. Although I do watch ESPN on occasion, I would even drop the Disney/ESPN channels which costs YTTV lots of money. The A's Warriors, Giants all have free streaming.
Exactly! Even with the price increase, I am still saving $60 over my internet/cable package I had with FIOS. I just dropped them for YTTV a couple of weeks ago. BUT, that is not the point. I was happy with the channel line up for $40. If I wanted these new Discovery studio channels, I would have stuck with cable or went with DTV Now.

They should have added it to the a la carte option like they do for STARS and Showtime.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #720 of 1068 Old 04-11-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 325
There is no arbitrage in pay TV. $35 for what you got was highway robbery. We were told they were losing money at $40, so it was not sustainable to subsidize both prices forever. I think that the Scripps channels per user cost were probably not $10 so they probably reset their pricing model to be slightly better than break even.

And no matter how much people complain and say they should tier only new channels, that's not how it works. You cannot add Discovery channel as a tier only, the network would never allow it. Now they would allow it for their sub-channels but never the main ones. It's pretty clear to me that the 8 channels that were added were all must carry in the basic tier. I wouldn't be surprised if YTTV would soon offer an upgrade tier for $5 for all the networks that missing compared to Philo's top tier.

Even at $50, their price point blows everyone else away for the RSNs and major network sports channels which all the other services either cost more or don't carry at all.

Compared to cable, you aren't paying a DVR fee ($10), HD technology fee ($10), RSN fee($8.25), broadcast TV fee ($10), per outlet fee ($10), random fees ($10), tax (in my state). With 2 TVs and a DVR on Comcast those fees all added up to $50 on their own.
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page