Youtube TV streaming service - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 369Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 190
LOL
Bold move, G.
From $35 to $40 to $50. Still no NFL Networks channel.

I'm sure this move won't make a lot of their customers happy.

Here's what I think
At some points, they will break up the channels and create many different tier.
For $35, it's around 35 channels
For $30, a little more
For $50, around 70 channels
Sooner or later, it will be $70-tier then $100-tier with more channels added.
By the time they add NFL channel, it might be tier-whatever#itis.
Exactly what Comcrap are doing now.
tinhvo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,451
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6581 Post(s)
Liked: 6349
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Exactly! Even with the price increase, I am still saving $60 over my internet/cable package I had with FIOS. I just dropped them for YTTV a couple of weeks ago. BUT, that is not the point. I was happy with the channel line up for $40. If I wanted these new Discovery studio channels, I would have stuck with cable or went with DTV Now.



They should have added it to the a la carte option like they do for STARS and Showtime.


And adding them to a tiered service or separate package is something Discovery/Scripts would probably not allow.
Ph8te is online now  
post #723 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I have another idea.
Why can't we create our own tier by picking certain channels that we want/watch?
If I only need about 20 channels that fit my needs, I don't want to spend $50 for extra 50 channels that I never watch.
Love the idea but for sure it will never be implemented by providers.
tinhvo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #724 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
spencer777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
That's almost exactly what I told them when I verified the increase was really closer to 43%. We will never watch any of those extra channels. They should've set up tiered system and let people pay extra if they wanted for the extra channels. Although I do watch ESPN on occasion, I would even drop the Disney/ESPN channels which costs YTTV lots of money. The A's Warriors, Giants all have free streaming.
Exactly! Even with the price increase, I am still saving $60 over my internet/cable package I had with FIOS. I just dropped them for YTTV a couple of weeks ago. BUT, that is not the point. I was happy with the channel line up for $40. If I wanted these new Discovery studio channels, I would have stuck with cable or went with DTV Now.

They should have added it to the a la carte option like they do for STARS and Showtime.
Well, Discovery wouldn't signed on as an add-on
spencer777 is offline  
post #725 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
these Live TV streaming services are becoming less and less of a deal with all these price increases...the whole point of people cutting the cord was to save $$...if they're going to pay close to the same amount then most people will just stick with traditional cable TV...
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Before going with streaming, I had Directv Satellite. I was paying on average, (Depending how much whining I did every couple months); about $150 per month. A good month of whining and I'd pay $130. I bad month of no whining, I'd pay $170. That included many of the premiums like HBO, starz, etc.

Even today, to get what I had with Directv Satellite, it would be $49.99 for youtube, $23.99 for HBO and Starz, and $20 for Philo (because NO OTHER provider, youtube, hulu, vue, etc. have ALL the channels I want). The total price would be about $94.00. That's still a savings of $40-$60 depending on the whining to Directv Satellite.

So for me, I'm still saving money. Plus, I don't have to knock snow off the dish during snow storms which I've had to do every year for the past 20 years. This year has been great. As long as the internet is up. So I'm happy with streaming. Would I prefer that prices remained low? Sure, who wouldn't. But I am very knowledgeable in business and economics. I understand what's happening.

What many don't understand, is the reason streaming was cheaper than cable and satellite, wasn't because of the technology; but because cable and satellite had a captive audience and customer base. They charged a lot, because they could. Their infrastructure has been paid off for decades. Now, with streaming in the mix, cable and satellite have been forced to lower their prices. As such, that is hurting people going to streaming. It's not worth just saving $10-$20 a month. Eventually, streaming will be the norm. But not because of cable/satellite and their prices. But because most people (Especially the younger generation) is mobile. How many people under $30 have a HOME PHONE. It's mobility that's going to make streaming tv the norm. BUT, it's going to cost what cable does eventually. The thing keeping cable and the phone companies alive is "INTERNET". Cellular simply can't handle the bandwidth requirements most people have for streaming video and music. Maybe 5G will improve that, but for now, a hard line cable or DSL or Fiber internet is needed to get the consistent 100mb (NO DATA CAP).

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Christcorp is offline  
post #726 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
I have another idea.
Why can't we create our own tier by picking certain channels that we want/watch?
If I only need about 20 channels that fit my needs, I don't want to spend $50 for extra 50 channels that I never watch.
Love the idea but for sure it will never be implemented by providers.
Because all the different channels cost different amounts, plus the channels are owned in groups by different companies. Discover owns the group that's been added, and they wouldn't permit you or YouTube or any other provider to break up that block. If they permitted you to truly do a la carte, each channel you wanted would probably cost $10 or some exorbitant amount. That's why you're getting eight new channels for "only" $10 more a month.

I also think that these networks, and their advertisers, know that most of us aren't watching the ads, so the ad-supported content is going to eventually move to us paying for the content, like Netflix.
DanPackMan, Ph8te and tenthplanet like this.

Last edited by Evildad; 04-11-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Evildad is offline  
post #727 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
One thing I'm not sure we are factoring in is the cost of our internet connection. I increased my internet (Suddenlink) to the lowest tier that gave me unlimited bandwidth, and decent streaming for 4K, when I decided to add Netflix and Amazon to my TV. So the same would be true for anyone switching from cable/satellite to streaming list DTVNow, YTTV etc. If you upped your speed in order to stream your TV watching, you kind of need to factor that into the cost of your "cord cutting" to compare the cost of YTTV to cable or satellite TV.
Evildad is offline  
post #728 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildad View Post
Because all the different channels cost different amounts, plus the channels are owned in groups by different companies. Discover owns the group that's been added, and they wouldn't permit you or YouTube or any other provider to break up that block. If they permitted you to truly do a la carte, each channel you wanted would probably cost $10 or some exorbitant amount. That's why you're getting eight new channels for "only" $10 more a month.

I also think that these networks, and their advertisers, know that most of us aren't watching the ads, so the ad-supported content is going to eventually move to use paying for the content, like Netflix.
I understood that, that's why I said "If"
But anyway, if ones don't need those 8 channels, there is no reason to force them to pay $10 more.
Whoever wants those, yeap, pay to get service but if ones don't, they shouldn't have to.

Last edited by tinhvo; 04-11-2019 at 09:04 AM.
tinhvo is offline  
post #729 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildad View Post
One thing I'm not sure we are factoring in is the cost of our internet connection. I increased my internet (Suddenlink) to the lowest tier that gave me unlimited bandwidth, and decent streaming for 4K, when I decided to add Netflix and Amazon to my TV. So the same would be true for anyone switching from cable/satellite to streaming list DTVNow, YTTV etc. If you upped your speed in order to stream your TV watching, you kind of need to factor that into the cost of your "cord cutting" to compare the cost of YTTV to cable or satellite TV.
Sooner or later, providers such Comcrap will force their customers to get their double-play or even triple-play package in order to get high-speed internet OR have to pay $100/month for 25Mb, $200/month for higher speed if only choose internet package.
tinhvo is offline  
post #730 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
And adding them to a tiered service or separate package is something Discovery/Scripts would probably not allow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Well, Discovery wouldn't signed on as an add-on
It would have been nice but you are correct, they would not let that happen.

It just ruined the niche YTTV had as far as price/content. Even with this increase, I am sticking with them because as I mentioned earlier, I am saving $60 over my old FIOS internet/tv bundle. I still have them for internet. I will reevaluate after the next YTTV increase, which will come....

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
post #731 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Member
 
blu ray boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
With this increase in charges, I am wondering "why did I cut the cord again?" I looked around and the charges are the same for other providers. If not, they don't have the channels I want. So now I am stuck with paying more. The only advantage I see is no STB. Except I do have one cause I use an nVidia Shield TV. OTA is not a substitute. It's a supplement.
blu ray boy is offline  
post #732 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Patsfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu ray boy View Post
With this increase in charges, I am wondering "why did I cut the cord again?" I looked around and the charges are the same for other providers. If not, they don't have the channels I want. So now I am stuck with paying more. The only advantage I see is no STB. Except I do have one cause I use an nVidia Shield TV. OTA is not a substitute. It's a supplement.
Why, because
- you dont sign a 2 contract to get the advertised cable price
- cable doesn't advertise the mandatory fees that will add (at least) $40 to your advertised price
- you don't need to pay for STB on every TV
- you have an unlimited cloud DVR
- you take the service with you so you have live TV outside of your home
- you get 1080p picture quality when cable gives you 720p
ChicagoChris and Onetrack97 like this.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Patsfan123 is offline  
post #733 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Member
 
blu ray boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Why, because
- you dont sign a 2 contract to get the advertised cable price
- cable doesn't advertise the mandatory fees that will add (at least) $40 to your advertised price
- you don't need to pay for STB on every TV
- you have an unlimited cloud DVR
- you take the service with you so you have live TV outside of your home
- you get 1080p picture quality when cable gives you 720p
Oh yeah...
blu ray boy is offline  
post #734 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I'm in no way justifying nor supporting the "Cablecos" as I terminated my DirecTV after 22 years. However, I think your analysis has flaws and I like to not overlook details in comparisons.

See embedded comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Why, because
- you dont sign a 2 contract to get the advertised cable price
Not always true, DISH many times offered 2 year fixed price contracts
- cable doesn't advertise the mandatory fees that will add (at least) $40 to your advertised price
- you don't need to pay for STB on every TV
Unclear here on your point but I had to purchase a streaming device for each TV ($100ish per). Also some Cablecos like Spectrum offer apps for those devices in lieu of extra hardware and charges
- you have an unlimited cloud DVR
Yes but I had virtually unlimited DVR via external drives and no expiration
- you take the service with you so you have live TV outside of your home
You can do that with things like DirecTV2Go and other solutions
- you get 1080p picture quality when cable gives you 720p
Not true across the board for on-demand and *D had high res solutions
rakstr is offline  
post #735 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 10:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I'm in no way justifying nor supporting the "Cablecos" as I terminated my DirecTV after 22 years. However, I think your analysis has flaws and I like to not overlook details in comparisons.

See embedded comments
I think you're mixing some apples in with your oranges.

Quote:
- you dont sign a 2 contract to get the advertised cable price
Not always true, DISH many times offered 2 year fixed price contracts
Cable companies typically don't require a contract. Satellite companies typically give you half price for one year, full price second year of the required two-year contract, and that second year hit is pretty horrible.

Quote:
Unclear here on your point but I had to purchase a streaming device for each TV ($100ish per).
What streaming device did you buy that was $100? Do you have older TVs?

Quote:
- you have an unlimited cloud DVR
Yes but I had virtually unlimited DVR via external drives and no expiration
You are atypical, and I'd like to know how you hooked up a hard drive to record satellite shows. A link to a how-to is fine.

Quote:
- you take the service with you so you have live TV outside of your home
You can do that with things like DirecTV2Go and other solutions
Is DTV2go an extra cost? Is it for DirecTV or for DirecTVNow?

Quote:
- you get 1080p picture quality when cable gives you 720p
Not true across the board for on-demand and *D had high res solutions
Pretty much true for most solutions. DirecTV has no 1080p channels that I've found, and the 4K is pretty limited.

You are right, the devil is in the details and there's no 100% answer to any of the questions. It's up to each user to decide what's available to them where they live, and figure out the best bang for buck.
Evildad is offline  
post #736 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Patsfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I don't know about other cable companies but every single advertised price on Comcast, Verizon and DirecTV (sat) require a 2 year contract (with ETF for cancelling early) to get the advertised price. On Comcast you can opt no not do that but the price goes up $10 a month from day 1.

I don't anything about dish but a 2 yr fixed price contract sounds exactly what I mentioned above and want to avoid.

I left Dish and DirecTV out of my comparison because I have never had those, being an urban dweller for past 10 years, I couldn't have a dish which is true for many on the board.

I didn't include the price of a streaming box on my comparison because I already have many but anyone can get a $40-$50 Roku that will play YTTV without restriction. If you get 1 extra box at $10 a month for 2 yrs thats $240 you've spent and got nothing in return for. If you hate YTTV and go to DTV Now, you can use that same Roku

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Patsfan123 is offline  
post #737 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
Sooner or later, providers such Comcrap will force their customers to get their double-play or even triple-play package in order to get high-speed internet OR have to pay $100/month for 25Mb, $200/month for higher speed if only choose internet package.
I have Charter for my internet. I DON'T bundle tv, phone or anything else. So it costs me around $65 a month for my 100mb internet. I would have that no matter what. I had that when I had Directv Satellite. So for me, I'm still saving $40-$60 a month with streaming tv than with Directv Satellite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu ray boy View Post
With this increase in charges, I am wondering "why did I cut the cord again?" I looked around and the charges are the same for other providers. If not, they don't have the channels I want. So now I am stuck with paying more. The only advantage I see is no STB. Except I do have one cause I use an nVidia Shield TV. OTA is not a substitute. It's a supplement.
There is no ONE PROVIDER that gives me all of the channels I had with Directv Satellite. But when I combine 2 streaming live tv services; e.g. youtube tv + Philo (And the premiums I want); I'm still saving money.

The only people who can really legitimately say that cable "might" be cheaper than streaming, are those who had the very most BASIC of cable tv service; or they are looking at a "Special". I.e. new subscriber $29 for 12 months, a bundle discount. But after the 12 months, the real price kicks in. So each person is a little different. But when you get into the LARGE TV packages; and add premiums to it; streaming is still the better deal. Especially if it's important to you to be able to go mobile. For me, a BUNDLED cable package for tv, phone and internet, with the channels I want, would be about $120 for the first 12 months. After that, it would go up to around $150-$170. Which means, if I take off the internet portion I'm paying now for stand-a-lone internet; $65; it's going to be equal to $85-$105 a month for the TV portion. So for me, streaming tv is still better than cable.

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+


Last edited by Christcorp; 04-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Christcorp is offline  
post #738 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Not surprised by the price increase. All of these services are going up and the price of YTTV is MUCH lower than what i was paying for DTV Sat with.

Anyone, know how i transfer my service out of iTunes and just pay YouTube? With the extra $5/mo, i'd rather pocket the $60 per year.
ChicagoChris is offline  
post #739 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
spencer777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
And adding them to a tiered service or separate package is something Discovery/Scripts would probably not allow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Well, Discovery wouldn't signed on as an add-on
It would have been nice but you are correct, they would not let that happen.

It just ruined the niche YTTV had as far as price/content. Even with this increase, I am sticking with them because as I mentioned earlier, I am saving $60 over my old FIOS internet/tv bundle. I still have them for internet. I will reevaluate after the next YTTV increase, which will come....
I would have liked them working out a deal linking with Philo apps,and keeping the same plans. Kinda indirectly making add-ons
spencer777 is offline  
post #740 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Not surprised by the price increase. All of these services are going up and the price of YTTV is MUCH lower than what i was paying for DTV Sat with.



Anyone, know how i transfer my service out of iTunes and just pay YouTube? With the extra $5/mo, i'd rather pocket the $60 per year.


I’m interested to find this out too. All I know is Apple will ask me if I want to continue subscribing but unclear what I do if I answer “no”. We could just cancel the day before the billing date but that might have consequences.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #741 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I’m interested to find this out too. All I know is Apple will ask me if I want to continue subscribing but unclear what I do if I answer “no”. We could just cancel the day before the billing date but that might have consequences.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can't you just change the billing method in the app or at tv.youtube.com ?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sammy2 is offline  
post #742 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Can't you just change the billing method in the app or at tv.youtube.com ?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk


From what I can see the app only allows for cancellations. Same with the Apple TV. The blog says Apple will notify us and ask before the next billing date.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #743 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
From what I can see the app only allows for cancellations. Same with the Apple TV. The blog says Apple will notify us and ask before the next billing date.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I cancelled my service through iOS and I still get access through my renewal date of 4/23. The instructions Google gave me was to then sign back up after 4/23 using a Chrome browser with the same email address using a credit card. I was told as long as you do it within 21 days of cancelling then all dvr programming, live guides, and family account will all be saved. Sure hope so but I’ll find out in about 2 weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m_snow likes this.
Bigmizzoufan is offline  
post #744 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmizzoufan View Post
I cancelled my service through iOS and I still get access through my renewal date of 4/23. The instructions Google gave me was to then sign back up after 4/23 using a Chrome browser with the same email address using a credit card. I was told as long as you do it within 21 days of cancelling then all dvr programming, live guides, and family account will all be saved. Sure hope so but I’ll find out in about 2 weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That makes sense. I thought I read that the old pricing goes for 30 days after your next billing date, not sure though. So for me my billing date is 5/5/2019 and I’ll be out of the country and not thinking about this. Sounds like I might have to pay extra for one month or cancel now like you did and sign back up when I come back on 5/12. From what you said my DVR stuff will still be available. Thanks again.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is offline  
post #745 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
crabboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 196
What happens when....

I am sure the Cablecos , Satellite companies, and streaming companies live in fear....
What happens when consumers realize that they can live without the channels they formerly couldn't live without? When free broadcast TV plus Netflix and/or Amazon Prime and/or Philo provides more than enough entertainment?
We wanted to drop Dish and go to streaming TV. We were told that we had almost a year of commitment left on our contract (they have yet to prove this). We cut back to their "welcome" pack. We gave up a number of channels that we were sure we were going to miss.
Guess what? We didn't miss them, The "welcome" pack included our local channels, which we could get OTA. Most of what we watch is on the locals, I have a DVR+, so I need no other DVR.
As I understand, this is already happening with younger viewers. We are in our sixties.
Is it just a matter of time before those companies price themselves out of business?

Indirectly Outta Compton
crabboy is online now  
post #746 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
eherberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I'm hoping that it goes even further ... that consumers not just realize they can live without some channels ... but that they start thinking about content and not networks. You don't need the Weather Channel with Weather Nation. Want news geared towards your particular philosophy? That can be found. What young people already know is that YouTube is not just for funny animal clips now. There are creator-produced programs that look very polished with seasons and episodes within those seasons. We've found home improvement/DIY programs that we watch now that are just as good as anything we used to watch on HGTV. The whole pay-TV shift to convince people that the model is different because it is streamed is appealing to those who are locked into that model already. It doesn't have a great adoption rate the younger you skew. Fortunately even though my wife and I are in our 50's, we're a bit more open to these changes and cord-cut more than 10 years ago when that phrase meant more than it does now. Between my Plex and/or Emby server, OTA, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and various streaming apps - we haven't missed a thing. We don't have exact content -- but we have the same type of content. If there is a series that we absolutely have to have - we just get that season through a provider. We've found that we are now more discriminating viewers ... not just watching something because it's 'on'. But rather watching something because we truly want to see a particular program ... not the network that it happens to be on.
LDBetaGuy likes this.

Last edited by eherberg; 04-11-2019 at 08:11 PM.
eherberg is offline  
post #747 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 6,373
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
I am sure the Cablecos , Satellite companies, and streaming companies live in fear....
What happens when consumers realize that they can live without the channels they formerly couldn't live without? When free broadcast TV plus Netflix and/or Amazon Prime and/or Philo provides more than enough entertainment?
We wanted to drop Dish and go to streaming TV. We were told that we had almost a year of commitment left on our contract (they have yet to prove this). We cut back to their "welcome" pack. We gave up a number of channels that we were sure we were going to miss.
Guess what? We didn't miss them, The "welcome" pack included our local channels, which we could get OTA. Most of what we watch is on the locals, I have a DVR+, so I need no other DVR.
As I understand, this is already happening with younger viewers. We are in our sixties.
Is it just a matter of time before those companies price themselves out of business?
No. But the unprofitable services might fold, most streaming is unprofitable, if anything you'll have less choices than you do now.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is offline  
post #748 of 1182 Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,081
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked: 624
So it's been one day since I unsubscribed to Youtube TV. I've been on Spring Break from work all week so I've been keeping busy. Realizing how non-essential this service really is for me makes me not miss this service at all. I'll see what happens when College Football comes back. As of now my OTA channels will allow me to watch College Football on CBS, ABC, and FOX, (Plus Notre Dame on NBC..). I may try out ESPN's streaming service for additional games.

I'm also a Spotify Premium subscriber, which gives me access to Hulu (With Ads) for no additional Charge.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #749 of 1182 Old 04-12-2019, 07:21 AM
Senior Member
 
PlasmaHiDef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Not surprised by the price increase. All of these services are going up and the price of YTTV is MUCH lower than what i was paying for DTV Sat with.

Anyone, know how i transfer my service out of iTunes and just pay YouTube? With the extra $5/mo, i'd rather pocket the $60 per year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I’m interested to find this out too. All I know is Apple will ask me if I want to continue subscribing but unclear what I do if I answer “no”. We could just cancel the day before the billing date but that might have consequences.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
First, log into your account https://support.google.com/youtubetv...#topic=7071745

Then, in the top right hand corner, select "Contact Us". From there you can open a chat or request a call back. Customer service has always been great on the numerous occasions I have spoken to them using either method.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
PlasmaHiDef is offline  
post #750 of 1182 Old 04-12-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,391
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
First, log into your account https://support.google.com/youtubetv...#topic=7071745

Then, in the top right hand corner, select "Contact Us". From there you can open a chat or request a call back. Customer service has always been great on the numerous occasions I have spoken to them using either method.
So have you done this?

What are they going to do other than tell you the price is going up?

Sammy2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off