Youtube TV streaming service - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 285Likes

post #61 of 895 Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
As much as I can say on cutting the reliance on cable products from what I have seen with hulu, and the ilk is a subsription based service to use so i don;t really see the point in cutting the cords becase you just end paying for another subscription which is metered by your internet connection..

at the moment you have unmetered cable connection vs a metered internet changing 1 for the other is dumb..

as much as i like hulu, youtube and the ilk on the tv the reality is eventually you are going to have to look at a media app storage device for use because you have very limited storage spave on the your tv, while it is nice to have the apps in the tv itself the reality is you have limited space in which to run the installed apps plus enough space to install secondary apps and console controls as this is what i've seen with my newest tv's at present..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 895 Old 02-11-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Howe View Post
As much as I can say on cutting the reliance on cable products from what I have seen with hulu, and the ilk is a subsription based service to use so i don;t really see the point in cutting the cords becase you just end paying for another subscription which is metered by your internet connection..

at the moment you have unmetered cable connection vs a metered internet changing 1 for the other is dumb..

as much as i like hulu, youtube and the ilk on the tv the reality is eventually you are going to have to look at a media app storage device for use because you have very limited storage spave on the your tv, while it is nice to have the apps in the tv itself the reality is you have limited space in which to run the installed apps plus enough space to install secondary apps and console controls as this is what i've seen with my newest tv's at present..
1. You can cancel at any time. With cable you are normally in a contract.
2. Not sure what you mean by a “metered Internet”. Mine isn’t metered and I already had internet service so no extra cost to me.
3. Storage for your recordings are in the cloud so you don’t need local storage. That’s the beauty of it.
4. The apps themselves take up very little space on your TV, plus you can always buy a streaming device like Apple TV, Roku, Amazon FireTV, Chromecast, etc..., which gets you many more features if you want them.

In the end you are saving lots and lots of $$$ for a better service with no long term obligation.
cyberized39 likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #63 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Understand the difference with metered content streaming services count against your download limit, verses having unmetered cable connection..

there is a big trade off with no cable access and a high dependence on using the net connection as a tv source not a wise idea unless your internet provider has unmetered data as part of streaming services..

understand this the hulu and other streaming services aren't covered under your isp data plan unless they have an agreement with them, which in most cases doesn't exist..

I would check with your ISP into which traffic is free and which is metered and counted towards your data usage,,

just because you subscribe to netflix, hulu, spotify and others doesn't mean you get a free ride from your ISP on their collective data usage..

this is something people fail to see when looking a streaming services you might subscribe too..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Understand the difference with metered content streaming services count against your download limit, verses having unmetered cable connection..

there is a big trade off with no cable access and a high dependence on using the net connection as a tv source not a wise idea unless your internet provider has unmetered data as part of streaming services..

understand this the hulu and other streaming services aren't covered under your isp data plan unless they have an agreement with them, which in most cases doesn't exist..

I would check with your ISP into which traffic is free and which is metered and counted towards your data usage,,

just because you subscribe to netflix, hulu, spotify and others doesn't mean you get a free ride from your ISP on their collective data usage..

this is something people fail to see when looking a streaming services you might subscribe too..
Maybe if you are tethering off a LTE plan but most U.S. based households have unlimited BW per month. Some ISP's have data caps that slow you down after X but majority don't and even some that do are really for excessive abuse users.

But all that cord cutting I agree is more of a marketing term vs being free of a cord which would imply complete reliance on a wireless carrier but I will leave that one alone for now. If I drop my DTV package which is $90 per month all in right now for another service like YT streaming service I am not get the same amount of channels as the same with all the other streaming services. It's not apples to oranges for sure but if I really need and watch all those other channels is another story but all "corded" providers offer a lower tier package that mimic the streaming services. So to me a true cord cutter is someone who doesn't pay for a sub service and watches free content only which many of the major networks actually provide via streaming from their own apps. Problem for me is that you really have have to work for your free content as it eliminate the ease of channel surfing, DVR etc. Same goes for my LG tv as they offer about 150 different streams of free content but majority of it is news or content that I could care less for.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #65 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

We have unlimited data here but I now understand your issue.
old corps likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #66 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
Maybe if you are tethering off a LTE plan but most U.S. based households have unlimited BW per month. Some ISP's have data caps that slow you down after X but majority don't and even some that do are really for excessive abuse users.

But all that cord cutting I agree is more of a marketing term vs being free of a cord which would imply complete reliance on a wireless carrier but I will leave that one alone for now. If I drop my DTV package which is $90 per month all in right now for another service like YT streaming service I am not get the same amount of channels as the same with all the other streaming services. It's not apples to oranges for sure but if I really need and watch all those other channels is another story but all "corded" providers offer a lower tier package that mimic the streaming services. So to me a true cord cutter is someone who doesn't pay for a sub service and watches free content only which many of the major networks actually provide via streaming from their own apps. Problem for me is that you really have have to work for your free content as it eliminate the ease of channel surfing, DVR etc. Same goes for my LG tv as they offer about 150 different streams of free content but majority of it is news or content that I could care less for.
I was an 18 year user of DTV and over the years (particularly after being acquired by AT&T) their rates went up. I was on their Total Choice plan which was mid tier. My cost after adding up the DVR rental, Genie rentals, various service charges and taxes was about $170 per month. I switched to Playstation Vue which had every channel I needed except for the Tennis Channel and my cost is now $39.95 per month. That’s a $130 per month savings or $1560 per year. More than enough to invest in top quality streaming devices which I own and don’t rent. Plus, the quality of the content is far superior and I have no long term obligations. So if Hulu, Youtube, DTVN or anyone else comes out with a better or cheaper service I can switch on a dime. To me it’s a no brainer unless you are metered by your ISP like the OP.

Mike
post #67 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Turns out it takes a little over 24 hours for the little thumbnails to be available when using FF/REW. I just checked some shows in my DVR that were recorded on or prior to 1/16 and now I get them. On anything that was recorded 1/17 or newer, not. And I like it better than the way PSVue does it. It might be time to say goodbye to PSVue.
Never realized that, thanks for the info
Quote:
Interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
To me it’s a no brainer unless you are metered by your ISP like the OP.
No brainer for me here as well. OP never mentioned metered ISP, this was just a general discussion thread about the service
post #68 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was an 18 year user of DTV and over the years (particularly after being acquired by AT&T) their rates went up. I was on their Total Choice plan which was mid tier. My cost after adding up the DVR rental, Genie rentals, various service charges and taxes was about $170 per month. I switched to Playstation Vue which had every channel I needed except for the Tennis Channel and my cost is now $39.95 per month. That’s a $130 per month savings or $1560 per year. More than enough to invest in top quality streaming devices which I own and don’t rent. Plus, the quality of the content is far superior and I have no long term obligations. So if Hulu, Youtube, DTVN or anyone else comes out with a better or cheaper service I can switch on a dime. To me it’s a no brainer unless you are metered by your ISP like the OP.
Don't doubt AT&T and other carriers love the folks who stay on for longer and take the full charge but another common practice today is the carrier hopper game. Leave one for the $39 - $79 all in deal and when that deal runs out move on etc. DTV loves that second year they try to get you full price on but on the DBS forums many folks have been successful in getting DTV to get the price close to what it was before it went up after threading to leave. Plus now the other carriers are even willing to pay your ETF's and get you over to their service. So many choices today that streaming will pave the way for in the future and most likely it will the only choice of service. How long that takes remains to be seen but I must note the even Vue with all the channels is $79 per month package and add $10 if you like sports. Many local carriers have similar packages at the $39 access rate plan they offer that give you more channels to choose from. I am not knocking it, just saying that you are just lowering your monthly bills, not truly cord cutting which is a lose term. However you are right as there is a shift going on and the carriers are seeing it (see link), however they are actually taking advantage of it because one needs more BW to accommodate those real time video services.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40521015...f-cord-cutting

But I am still with you, I would like to go all streaming but haven't found that perfect end client just yet to make that jump but I know it's coming.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
post #69 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Thanks. I have had service about 8 months and didn't know that.
No problem.

Web pages are often designed by graphic design artists who want stuff to look beautiful, for managers who think that is what matters most. Usability is of little concern.

But YoutubeTV is far from the worst at this type of thing.
post #70 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't doubt AT&T and other carriers love the folks who stay on for longer and take the full charge but another common practice today is the carrier hopper game. Leave one for the $39 - $79 all in deal and when that deal runs out move on etc. DTV loves that second year they try to get you full price on but on the DBS forums many folks have been successful in getting DTV to get the price close to what it was before it went up after threading to leave. Plus now the other carriers are even willing to pay your ETF's and get you over to their service. So many choices today that streaming will pave the way for in the future and most likely it will the only choice of service. How long that takes remains to be seen but I must note the even Vue with all the channels is $79 per month package and add $10 if you like sports. Many local carriers have similar packages at the $39 access rate plan they offer that give you more channels to choose from. I am not knocking it, just saying that you are just lowering your monthly bills, not truly cord cutting which is a lose term. However you are right as there is a shift going on and the carriers are seeing it (see link), however they are actually taking advantage of it because one needs more BW to accommodate those real time video services.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40521015...f-cord-cutting

But I am still with you, I would like to go all streaming but haven't found that perfect end client just yet to make that jump but I know it's coming.
I have tried virtually all of them and, for me, they go in this order although that can change at any moment:
1: PS Vue (been using for over a year). Highest picture quality picture, easy to use interface, good pricing. Only issue is with occasional buffering but I know they are always improving that.
2. YouTube - Very good PQ, best pricing, decent interface but no Turner stuff like CNN, TBS, TNT which was a deal breaker for me.
3. Hulu - great picture quality, high price but includes regular Hulu programing in 1080p, good programming but interface is complicated and terrible (but its still beta for now). Need to buy the extras to make it work right.
4. Sling - cheap, decent picture quality but mostly 30fps
5. Direct TV Now - lower quality picture, lots of TV stations, no DVR (deal breaker), company doesn't seem to move fast enough to improve it which is odd because it's AT&T.

Mike
post #71 of 895 Old 02-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
1. You can cancel at any time. With cable you are normally in a contract.
This is getting off-topic, but:

I have used Comcast/XFinity, and people I know have use Time-Warner/Spectrum) and one of the little guys, possibly Frontier.

In none of these cases was there a long term contract. It was month to month.

However, in all these cases, except the little guy, which hasn't been used by the person long enough to raise prices much, there was price creep, as well as undisclosed fees. If you don't switch carriers, they keep raising prices, and adding extra fees, just like cell phone and insurance companies.

So the best answer, like satboy implies, is shop around, and switch when prices go up or you see a better deal. And avoid long term contracts of any sort. Read the fine print.

In theory, I believe "unlimited" plans are bad economics, because they encourage waste - but I currently watch too much TV on Internet TV to be on a significantly limited Internet plan. At 3+ Mbit/sec for ordinary HD video, just 1 hour / day is about 40.5 GB/month. Builds up very fast. Even more for UHD. Families could easily exceed 1 TB/month. Apparently some gamers use even more - sometimes 25 - 50 Mbit/sec.

(And to think I used to be very happy with a dial-up email service...)

Comcast/Xfinity is the most reliable and easiest to use Internet and TV service I have so far seen. If they didn't climb for us from $40/month to many times that, they would have stayed great. They know their stuff very well, but the particular local affiliate we had loved to raise prices, to lie on the phone, and to charge for boxes they didn't provide. Nonetheless, if my landlord didn't provide me with unlimited FIOS Internet, I would go back to Comcast/Xfinity Internet and TV - for one year, until their prices went up. Then I would switch again. And again. And again.

If companies want long term loyalty, they should offer long term consistent prices! And not hide undisclosed fees.

A few months ago, Comcast/XFINITY offered one year of unlimited Internet/100 channel + Showtime TV/unlimited WiFi hotspot service for an Introductory $40/month, which would have been a great deal, for that year, though I didn't read the details, so that might be wrong. Even at $55/month current introductory price, they aren't all that bad. Oh, wait, read the fine print:

Quote:
Additional installation charges may apply. Equipment, installation, taxes and fees, including Broadcast TV Fee (up to $8/mo.), Regional Sports Fee (up to $6.75/mo.) and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change during and after the promo. Additional outlet service fee applies for multi-room viewing.
Ugh. Undisclosed fees. Which could raise the price of Xfinity to Infinity. Nope!

As for Internet/TV/Phone bundles, none of the ones I have seen are worth it. Since I don't make or take many calls, PagePlus Wireless prepaid standard plan is less expensive ($10 for 100 minutes for 120 days) than the bundled plans, has been stable in price long-term, offers excellent technical service, and is completely reliable in my area. (They use the Verizon network, which happens to work well here - though I'm sure that varies by location.) (However, PagePlus, like Verizon, stops supporting many old smartphones when they are only a few years old, a bloody nuisance.) For landlines, should you want one, MagicJack substantially underprices the phone bundles too - though they do have a problem - they don't transmit the first few seconds of every call. I've considered switching to Google Voice only instead, which is free - but I either need to leave my computer on all the time, or use Google Voice on a mobile device that I keep needing to recharge.

I would love to find a cheap wireless Internet plan... On my PagePlus Wireless account, data uses up a lot of "minutes" quickly. And if I wanted to watch TV over wireless, I can't find anything cheap.

Have any of you found a good deal on wireless Internet?
post #72 of 895 Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 152
According to this article, https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/yout...raising-price/, new channels from Time Warner will be added. Also the price is going up $5/month.
post #73 of 895 Old 02-13-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4HDTV View Post
According to this article, https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/yout...raising-price/, new channels from Time Warner will be added. Also the price is going up $5/month.
I am surprised no one brought up the fine print with YT only allowing 3 simultaneous streams at the same time. So if you are a household of larger this might limit your cord cutting. As per YT "Up to 3 simultaneous streams are allowed per membership"

post #74 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
I have tried virtually all of them and, for me, they go in this order although that can change at any moment:
1: PS Vue (been using for over a year). Highest picture quality picture, easy to use interface, good pricing. Only issue is with occasional buffering but I know they are always improving that.
2. YouTube - Very good PQ, best pricing, decent interface but no Turner stuff like CNN, TBS, TNT which was a deal breaker for me.
3. Hulu - great picture quality, high price but includes regular Hulu programing in 1080p, good programming but interface is complicated and terrible (but its still beta for now). Need to buy the extras to make it work right.
4. Sling - cheap, decent picture quality but mostly 30fps
5. Direct TV Now - lower quality picture, lots of TV stations, no DVR (deal breaker), company doesn't seem to move fast enough to improve it which is odd because it's AT&T.
Thanks! Great breakdown for a future "cord cutter" like myself. I am holding onto FIOS until DTV Now gets their beta DVR bugs worked out. Then I can do a real comparision to the other streaming options. Apparently, they are working coming out with 4K channels but if the HD channels are lower quality, that would cause me to pause.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 02-14-2018 at 06:29 AM.
post #75 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Thanks! Great breakdown for a future "cord cutter" like myself. I am holding onto FIOS until DTV Now gets their beta DVR bugs worked out. Then I can do a real comparision to the other streaming options. Apparently, they are working coming out with 4K channels but if the HD channels are lower quality, they would cause me to pause.
I heard today that YouTube TV is going to add the Turner stuff (CNN, TNT, TBS) later today as a “Valentines Day present” but they are going to raise their price from $35 to $40 per month. For existing customers the $35 will not be raised. If you haven’t signed up for a YT trial right now would be the time to do it and in seven days if you like it you’ll get it all, including unlimited DVR and these added stations, for $35.

Mike
post #76 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The price increase is effective on March 13th.
post #77 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The price increase is effective on March 13th.
Question will be if the current subs that signup today and prior will be grandfathered into the $35, I signed up to check out the service but encounter some issues that remind me why I am not a cord cutter just yet

Here is what I experienced

Primary watching of TV is via a TV in my household, not iPad, phone or desktop computer, those outlets might work better for this as all other providers are the same when it comes to watching via an app.

Now onto the TV which is an LG OLED65E7, downloaded the YT Live App and signed in, no issues there.

Here is what I ran into which would cut me short of cutting with YT "no pun intended"

When selecting from the guide a whole bunch of times I got an error page that the stream could not start (see attached)
Second issue which I find annoying is that all channels start at a lower resolution then bump up after about 15 seconds or so with a slight freeze. Still limited channels but as noted here they are adding more. Guide with no channels #'s would take time getting used to.

Plus is that LG TV's have an available app
Minus requires me to install Chrome on my MAC for watching there
Will test Apple TV later to see if it's a better platform but my goal is direct tv app not with a client and then an app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6339.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	727.1 KB
ID:	2361076  

Last edited by satboy; 02-14-2018 at 08:29 AM.
post #78 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Question will be if the current subs that signup today and prior will be grandfathered into the $35, I signed up to check out the service but didn't encounter some issues that remind me why I am not a cord cutter

Here is what I experienced

Primary watching of TV is via a TV in my household, not iPad, phone or desktop computer, those outlets might work better for this as all other providers are the same when it comes to watching via an app.

Now onto the TV which is an LG OLED65E7, downloaded the YT Live App and signed in, no issues there.

Here is what I ran into which would cut me short of cutting with YT "no pun intended"

When selecting from the guide a whole bunch of times I got an error page that the stream could not start (see attached)
Second issue which I find annoying is that all channels start a lower resolution then bump up after about 15 seconds or so with a slight freeze. Still limited channels but as noted here they are adding more. Guide with no channels #'s would take time getting used to.

Plus is that LG TV's have an available app
Minus requires me to install Chrome on my MAC
Will test Apple TV later to see if it's a better platform but my goal is direct tv app not with a client and then an app.
I’m a PlayStation Vue user and like you it’s mostly TV in 3 rooms and occasionally on my iPhone or iPad. I’ve tried YT a couple of times and never got that error just F.Y.I. YTTV has higher resolution than the others except for Netflix and Amazon of course and the 15 seconds is a common ramp up time due to the quality. Pick the one that has most of the channels you need but also has DVR. DTVN has the most potential but they are very far behind PS Vue, YTTV and Hulu for quality and services but they do have a lot of channels for a good price. I think they are probably 6 to 12 months away from being on top. Yeah, the only streaming service that has channel numbers is Sling but trust me, with a good grid guide you and your family will quickly get used to it.

Mike
post #79 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Question will be if the current subs that signup today and prior will be grandfathered into the $35, I signed up to check out the service but didn't encounter some issues that remind me why I am not a cord cutter
You should be grandfathered at the $35 price if you sign up before 3/13.
satboy and old corps like this.
post #80 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You should be grandfathered at the $35 price if you sign up before 3/13.
thanks

post #81 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Don't believe anything that comes from that site. They purposefully relay misinformation to steer you to sites they get kickback from.
post #82 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Don't believe anything that comes from that site. They purposefully relay misinformation to steer you to sites they get kickback from.
They are for sure adding channels and rising it 5 more per month but like you said the Internet is filled with redirects based on kickbacks, drives me crazy when searching for things. I have also stopped trusting reviews long ago too, again driven to direct you in a direction etc.

post #83 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How about this site?
https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Yep, it’s real.

Mike
post #84 of 895 Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How about this site?
https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Yep, it?s real.
Not saying it's not real. I'm saying you need to do your own research. He claimed that you needed to order by today to get grandfathered pricing which is wrong. And will often delete posts that correct him
post #85 of 895 Old 02-15-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Where did you get this mis-information from?

Quote:
What you say makes no sense. Why would Google (or anyone) pay someone to post info that was (for a few hours) slightly wrong info from a 3rd source?
He initially posted info (named the source)from a 3rd party stating that YTTV (owned by Google) was adding channels the next day and raising price. Some hours later, corrected the info about when the price increase would take effect. He was clear in stating this was not "official" and that the official announcement would probably be made the next day.
Again - Why would Google pay for mis-info about the date of the price increase?

The proprietor of Cordcutternews is a one man band. He worked out of his home til last month. Just moved to office and hired first employee. I don't expect perfection. I'm a recent (last July) cutter and find the info very useful. He obviously depends on advertising - just like this site right here. Ads do NOT seem to be from the services he is covering.
post #86 of 895 Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
[quote=spencer777;55696818]
Quote:
What you say makes no sense. Why would Google (or anyone) pay someone to post info that was (for a few hours) slightly wrong info from a 3rd source?
He initially posted info (named the source)from a 3rd party stating that YTTV (owned by Google) was adding channels the next day and raising price. Some hours later, corrected the info about when the price increase would take effect. He was clear in stating this was not "official" and that the official announcement would probably be made the next day.

The proprietor of Cordcutternews is a one man band. He worked out of his home til last month. Just moved to office and hired first employee. I don't expect perfection. I'm a recent (last July) cutter and find the info very useful. He obviously depends on advertising - just like this site right here. Ads do NOT seem to be from the services he

So being one person gives him the right to give misinformation? I see multiple posts that are incorrect and when brought to his attention. The comment was deleted and nothing. The site is not neutral, he pushes you to sites and products that he gets kickbacks without truthful information.
There are, maybe, 7 or 8 "cord cutting" services. A few don't offer very many channels. Which of these do you think he is steering people to? Seems to me he has pointed out defects in all of them.
Am a long time member of AVS. When looking for cord cutting info last summer - couldn't find anything here. Discovered his site. Went w. YTTV even tho he didn't have much info - not available service for him then.
Very few actual posts are from him - 99% are from users. News items are from him.
post #87 of 895 Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The proprietor of Cordcutternews is a one man band. He worked out of his home til last month. Just moved to office and hired first employee. I don't expect perfection. I'm a recent (last July) cutter and find the info very useful. He obviously depends on advertising - just like this site right here. Ads do NOT seem to be from the services he is covering.
No,but he links do. Information is skewed to steer to sites that give him kickbacks. Multiple posts get deleted when information he posts are incorrect. My suggestion is to do your own research.
post #88 of 895 Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 AM

[QUOTE=snidely;55696880]
Quote:
Quote:

The proprietor of Cordcutternews is a one man band. He worked out of his home til last month. Just moved to office and hired first employee. I don't expect perfection. I'm a recent (last July) cutter and find the info very useful. He obviously depends on advertising - just like this site right here. Ads do NOT seem to be from the services he

So being one person gives him the right to give misinformation? I see multiple posts that are incorrect and when brought to his attention. The comment was deleted and nothing. The site is not neutral, he pushes you to sites and products that he gets kickbacks without truthful information.
There are, maybe, 7 or 8 "cord cutting" services. A few don't offer very many channels. Which of these do you think he is steering people to? Seems to me he has pointed out defects in all of them.
Am a long time member of AVS. When looking for cord cutting info last summer - couldn't find anything here. Discovered his site. Went w. YTTV even tho he didn't have much info - not available service for him then.
Very few actual posts are from him - 99% are from users. News items are from him.
He pushes people to Sling, Direc tv now and Roku
post #89 of 895 Old 02-15-2018, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
[quote=spencer777;55696920]
Quote:

He pushes people to Sling, Direc tv now and Roku
FUD..the so called user content is mostly trolls,and agenda driven troublemakers. Just read the articles and avoid the comment sections. It's a free site so as always think when you read.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #90 of 895 Old 02-15-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Turns out it takes a little over 24 hours for the little thumbnails to be available when using FF/REW. I just checked some shows in my DVR that were recorded on or prior to 1/16 and now I get them. On anything that was recorded 1/17 or newer, not. And I like it better than the way PSVue does it. It might be time to say goodbye to PSVue.

Am I understanding this correctly? You can't FF or REW on anything recorded for at least 24 hours? I'm afraid that might be a killer for me. How about when you pause live TV? I also agree with the problem of not knowing where you are when FF or REW. I was getting kinda excited about YTTV, now I not sure.
Thanks!
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page