Youtube TV streaming service - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 341Likes

post #991 of 1068 Old 09-21-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thanks. My only sticking point now is they don't support 5.1 audio. And according to the YTTV C/S rep I spoke to, there is no timeline for it to be delivered. We don't watch much TV but we do watch college football and when we do that in our theater, listening in 2.0 would be a big bummer.

We shall see.

Many of the stand alone apps that you get access to do support multichannel but the important thing is the picture is better by most accounts and measured resolution, frame rate and bitrate. But even more important for me is I have unlimited DVR at a cost of $50 per month (no contract, no equipment rental fee) versus my former DirectTV satellite sub which was $167 per month with a two year commitment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sparky7 and Zookster like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1068 Old 09-21-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Thanks. My only sticking point now is they don't support 5.1 audio. And according to the YTTV C/S rep I spoke to, there is no timeline for it to be delivered. We don't watch much TV but we do watch college football and when we do that in our theater, listening in 2.0 would be a big bummer.

We shall see.
Dolby PLIIx or Surround does good enough for the low quality audio of broadcast tv I feel. That was an initial concern for me as well but I don't even notice now for the handful of things I actually watch.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
rakstr likes this.
post #993 of 1068 Old 09-21-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am currently using Dish but my contract has expired so have signed up for the 5 day trial on YouTube TV.

I am currently watching the Michigan vs Wisconsin game (not a fan of either) and the image seems a bit less clean/softer on YouTube than on Dish as I switch back and forth.

Is that to be expected? If so, I won't be signing up.

I could not find The Weather Channel. Local Now supposedly has Weather but when I went there, and clicked on the weather, nothing happened.

Also, how can I talk to a human in YouTube TV support?
I came over from Dish as well. In my comparisons YTTV was better or at least as good as Dish and we'll worth the cost savings.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1068 Old 09-21-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 4998 Post(s)
Liked: 3835
Is there a way while watching a program to record it without having to find my iPhone and use the YouTube TV to record it?
post #995 of 1068 Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Is there a way while watching a program to record it without having to find my iPhone and use the YouTube TV to record it?
Arrow down and select the "+" icon to add whatever you are currently watching to your library. It won't capture the part of the show you missed (before tuning to the channel), but the recording should include what's in the buffer. And then if it's a show that re-airs, it will record that instance in its entirety and add the on demand version to your library, if applicable.
post #996 of 1068 Old 09-22-2019, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
No, the picture quality should be the same or better than Dish.

Don’t know about weather.

In the app, go to your profile (upper right hand corner) then Help then your options. For you Request Call to speak to someone or Chat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is vrtually no ait time to tak w. CS either via chat or voice. Chat is very effective.
post #997 of 1068 Old 09-22-2019, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Youtube TV streaming service

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
There is vrtually no ait time to tak w. CS either via chat or voice. Chat is very effective.

I have had them call me back on a few occasions too and it worked fine. They do have very good customer service.
primetimeguy likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite

Last edited by m_snow; 09-22-2019 at 05:37 AM.
post #998 of 1068 Old 09-22-2019, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I am currently using Dish but my contract has expired so have signed up for the 5 day trial on YouTube TV.

I am currently watching the Michigan vs Wisconsin game (not a fan of either) and the image seems a bit less clean/softer on YouTube than on Dish as I switch back and forth.

I could not find The Weather Channel. Local Now supposedly has Weather but when I went there, and clicked on the weather, nothing happened.

The WI-MI seemed abnormally soft to me. This is the first time I have noticed that and have been on YTTV for several months.

The Weather Channel is not included.

Go Badgers!!
post #999 of 1068 Old 09-22-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
As others have said, for some reason that game was "not up to par" in video quality yesterday. Take it as an outlier.

Quote:

post #1000 of 1068 Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched college football all day and night and the rest looked great. Now if they would only support 5.1 audio. I'm investigating DirecTV Now since they do support 5.1, but have their own set of issues.

Given the pricing for most regular other TV options (DirecTV, Dish, and our local internet provider) I'm not sure how they expect to stay in business since they are typically at least twice the price - and apparently have no interest in either keeping me as a customers (Dish) or getting me as a new customer (DirecTV).

They all must be using the same "how to go out of business" model!
post #1001 of 1068 Old 09-22-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Signed up for YTTV 3 weeks ago. I was unaware it doesn't support 5.1. Kinda sucks, but I really only got it for college football & a few shows I enjoy watching from time to time. The bulk of our watching is Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Videos. Hopefully YTTV will add 5.1 soon. Dumped DirecTV because of the pricing. Pretty much the same story as everybody else. They'd rather get a new customer than keep a customer. Seems like none of the cable TV providers have figured out a way to do both.

Kevin T
post #1002 of 1068 Old 09-22-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure I understand the benefits of watching college football or any sports in 5.1 audio. Oftentimes, I don't even use the simulated surround options on my AVR when watching sports or news via YouTube TV. Right now, I'm watching the Kansas City - Baltimore NFL game OTA and getting 5.1 audio (though that's not the reason I'm watching it OTA), and other than hearing some crowd noise when I place my ear against a rear speaker, I'm not getting any better sound experience from it. I do wish there was 5.1 for certain high-concept sci-fi/fantasy/action TV dramas and movies, but not really a big deal using simulated surround and saving $50-$100/month. And I say that as someone who used to care a very great deal about such things.
post #1003 of 1068 Old 09-22-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We have pretty much decided to go with YTTV. As for 5.1 on sports broadcasts, It does add something to the viewing experience but for now, I will have to forego that. If something better comes along, easy to switch.
m_snow likes this.
post #1004 of 1068 Old 09-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Sampling the various services, I think AT&T Now is unmatched when it comes to picture and sound (5.1), BUT (and this is a big 'but') they only give you a 20 hour DVR and you can't pause and rewind live TV. A deal-breaker there.

Youtube TV is good and it's DVR is excellent. Sometimes I do notice some softness and our CBS affiliate pixelates at times. Hopefully we can get a service one day that has the picture and sound of AT&T now with the DVR of Youtube TV.
beerhunt likes this.

Last edited by MikeKlim; 09-23-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #1005 of 1068 Old 09-23-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post
Sampling the various services, I think AT&T Now is unmatched when it comes to picture and sound (5.1), .

And price. To match what I will get for $50 from YTTV, I have to pay more than I am now paying to Dish.
MikeKlim likes this.
post #1006 of 1068 Old 09-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
I watched college football all day and night and the rest looked great. Now if they would only support 5.1 audio. I'm investigating DirecTV Now since they do support 5.1, but have their own set of issues.

Given the pricing for most regular other TV options (DirecTV, Dish, and our local internet provider) I'm not sure how they expect to stay in business since they are typically at least twice the price - and apparently have no interest in either keeping me as a customers (Dish) or getting me as a new customer (DirecTV).

They all must be using the same "how to go out of business" model!

I’ve been trying to cancel my Directv for the past few years and every year they keep giving me large discounts and free or heavily discounted Sunday Ticket. I’m currently paying a bit less for Directv than I would be for YouTube TV.

I tested several live TV services last time and was set on YouTube TV. It was between Hulu Live TV, PS Vue and YouTube TV for me. Unfortunately for me, only YouTube TV has all of my locals so that won me over else I’d probably be going with PS Vue.

I don’t expect directv to keep feeding me these heavy discounts year after year but I’ll keep biting when they do. I expect to be joining the live TV streaming crowd someday and I’m hoping they’ll have basic 5.1 audio by then. I have heard that most streaming services offer 5.1 audio for on demand content but didn’t test that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1007 of 1068 Old 09-25-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The best offer Dish made was to ONLY raise my price ( for a new 2 yr agreement) was about $15, which would be more than twice the price of YTTV. I called DirecTV and they wanted even more???
post #1008 of 1068 Old 09-25-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I swear the PQ has declined over the last few months since I switched from Dish. I just checked stats for nerds and noticed all 1080i broadcast channels now show as 720p. The YouTubeTV app/channel shows the max resolution setting as 720p. Weren't channels deinterlaced to 1080p before? Is this just a Roku 3 issue and maybe they limited the app/channel on Roku? The Roku is still sending 1080p to the TV but I'm thinking the app content is only 720p now.
post #1009 of 1068 Old 09-25-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I swear the PQ has declined over the last few months since I switched from Dish. I just checked stats for nerds and noticed all 1080i broadcast channels now show as 720p. The YouTubeTV app/channel shows the max resolution setting as 720p. Weren't channels deinterlaced to 1080p before? Is this just a Roku 3 issue and maybe they limited the app/channel on Roku? The Roku is still sending 1080p to the TV but I'm thinking the app content is only 720p now.

Except for ABC and Fox channels mine are still 1080p @ 60fps.

Mike
post #1010 of 1068 Old 09-25-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Except for ABC and Fox channels mine are still 1080p @ 60fps.

Thanks for checking. I'm thinking it is a change/update to the Roku 3 channel.
m_snow likes this.
post #1011 of 1068 Old 09-25-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is definitely the Roku 3 as I tested with Chromecast and all is good. I will be upgrading to the new model when they come out next month.
post #1012 of 1068 Old 09-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Youtube TV streaming service

Quote:
The best offer Dish made was to ONLY raise my price ( for a new 2 yr agreement) was about $15, which would be more than twice the price of YTTV. I called DirecTV and they wanted even more???

When I called to cancel directv they offered me $60 off a month for a year with no contract and I said throw in Sunday Ticket this season and I’m in. They agreed. I won’t be making my yearly cancellation call again until sometime next April or May. I have their third highest tier with Sunday Ticket with a whole home DVR for 2 TVs and my bill is less than YouTube TV. Who knows by then maybe they’ll just let me leave lol. I’m hoping 5.1 becomes common by then for streaming services.

Thursday night football games are being broadcast by directv in 4K HDR starting this Thursday and I can’t wait to check it out.

post #1013 of 1068 Old 09-25-2019, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I still get 1080p on channels that support that with the Roku YouTubeTV app on my Roku Ultra and also my Roku Stick+ (both are capable of up to 4Kwith other apps)
post #1014 of 1068 Old 09-26-2019, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
When I called to cancel directv they offered me $60 off a month for a year with no contract and I said throw in Sunday Ticket this season and I’m in. They agreed. I won’t be making my yearly cancellation call again until sometime next April or May. I have their third highest tier with Sunday Ticket with a whole home DVR for 2 TVs and my bill is less than YouTube TV. Who knows by then maybe they’ll just let me leave lol. I’m hoping 5.1 becomes common by then for streaming services.

Thursday night football games are being broadcast by directv in 4K HDR starting this Thursday and I can’t wait to check it out.

FYI, you might already know this but you can watch the Thursday NFL games in 4K by using the Fox Sports app and using your YTTV login info.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #1015 of 1068 Old 09-26-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Roku 3 is a 2015 model? Google does decertify devices if they can't keep up with 1080p/60 without dropping frames. Unfortunately this could be related to the new UI which could overtax the Roku 3.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #1016 of 1068 Old 09-28-2019, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Has anyone verified ESPN3 TV provider access is back for YouTube TV subscribers? Old news?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #1017 of 1068 Old 09-29-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
I've not had any problems using ESPN3 streaming with YTTV as a provide.
post #1018 of 1068 Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 424
How often do these 3 week trials come about? As far as I'm concerned a 7 day trial is not long enough to fully evaluate the service. Still not liking the fact that there are commercials on DVR'd content .
Gerry
aaronwt likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #1019 of 1068 Old 09-29-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
How often do these 3 week trials come about? As far as I'm concerned a 7 day trial is not long enough to fully evaluate the service. Still not liking the fact that there are commercials on DVR'd content .

Gerry

AFAIK rarely. I agree a 7 day trial is not enough which, for me, meant having to use a second email address to make my decision. Yes, commercials on recorded non VOD shows but you can skip (FF) through them quickly.

Mike
post #1020 of 1068 Old 09-29-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Gerry
During a short trial period, you may not actually have recorded live airings of the shows in your DVR list. There are forced commercials an on-demand content, which will also appear in your DVR list for that show. You can always fast-forward through commercials in recordings of live airings. However, for the CBS and CW Networks, your recordings will be locked while an on-demand version is available, usually four to five weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page