Youtube TV streaming service - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 367Likes

post #1051 of 1175 Old 10-11-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Right... that's the argument.

What are the services you are getting with your package? In my case I dumped TV, the landline and only kept the Internet ($45 p/month) and am saving over $140 per month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1175 Old 10-11-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 1788
Quote:
Well, if I could get a robust channel package, including almost all the sports networks and RSNs, an unlimited storage space DVR with the ability to access all my channels and recordings in full HD on any monitor and streaming device in my house, along with 100+ Mbps internet service, for less than $100/mo. (as the regular cost, not just a 12-month promo), then I would certainly stick with what I had. In my service area, such a package would run me well north of $200. Just the DVR access (not even unlimited) and equipment rentals would cost me ~$50/mo for three TVs.
post #1053 of 1175 Old 10-11-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:

That argument fails wide open for me, I can't get any comparable cable and internet service bundle for less than my internet +YTTV. And cable company actual charges are always more than advertised rates, charging you for cable boxes, DVR service, and even charges for digital channel guide services in some cases. None of that BS with YTTV.

And then there is the benefit of using ROKU/FireStick devices which eliminate the need for cable drops wherever I want a TV. And I can also get TV on my tablet/phone when on the go.. AND everyone in the family can customize their own profile, favorite channels, and recordings.

I'm happier and saving about $75/mo, and that is with higher tier internet speed than I had before I switched.
Zookster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1175 Old 10-12-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5087 Post(s)
Liked: 3944
I've had YTTV for about a month. Doesn't have some of the capabilities of Dish but for the monthly savings (~$70), it is more than worth it, and works fine. When I was thinking about cancelling Dish, I called them, and out of the "goodness of their heart", they agreed that if I signed up for another 2 years, they would only raise my rates about $30/month instead of the "normal" $50/month. Seriously? Other than losing multi-channel audio output, it gives me everything we need.
Zookster likes this.

Mark 10:45 ][ Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #1055 of 1175 Old 10-12-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 452
If anyone spots a 3 week trial of YTTV, please post.. 5 day trial isn't going to hack it and I told them just that in emails back and forth.
Thanks, Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #1056 of 1175 Old 10-12-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
If anyone spots a 3 week trial of YTTV, please post.. 5 day trial isn't going to hack it and I told them just that in emails back and forth.

Thanks, Gerry

Gerry, I have a redeem code for a 14 day trial. PM me with your email and I’ll forward it to you.

brotony likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1057 of 1175 Old 10-12-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Gerry, I have a redeem code for a 14 day trial. PM me with your email and I’ll forward it to you.

PM sent- thanks in advance!! That would work great and a lot better than 5 days...
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #1058 of 1175 Old 10-13-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I was looking at getting YTTV this time last year as my DTV package was ending in Dec 2018. I found a thread on SlickDeals that people were getting good discounts through the Loyalty office. I called and got the Xtra package with HBO for $36 per month! So obviously no need to get the YTTV last year.

I don't know if I'll be that lucky again when I call in December, I saw there are referral offers for 2 week trials, if anyone would like to share so I can get used to YTTV.

Thanks
post #1059 of 1175 Old 10-13-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post
I was looking at getting YTTV this time last year as my DTV package was ending in Dec 2018. I found a thread on SlickDeals that people were getting good discounts through the Loyalty office. I called and got the Xtra package with HBO for $36 per month! So obviously no need to get the YTTV last year.

I don't know if I'll be that lucky again when I call in December, I saw there are referral offers for 2 week trials, if anyone would like to share so I can get used to YTTV.

Thanks
I already shared mine with @ggw2000 above but others may have gotten the same "friends and family" sharing email I got. Agree, 5 days is not enough to decide. I had to use a couple of different email accounts just to get 10 days when I first started.

Mike
post #1060 of 1175 Old 10-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post

Too late for me. but it doesn't matter. I signed up for a 7 day trial (not 5) with YTTV and I knew within a couple days I was going with them and cancel my Direct TV account. I am going from $140/month to $50 per month. And getting all the channels I want/need and unlimited PVR storage.

When I called Direct TV they immediately, predictably, asked why I was cancelling. I told them "because you always tell me my monthly charge is going to be $80/month and every month I get a bill for $140-$150. Then I call up, complain, and you get me a credit. I'm tired of it". I can't remember his exact words but it was to the affect, "I don't blame you". I suspect they are getting a lot of these calls!

I am going to stay with YTTV through the football season. I need it for Big10, ESPN and Fox Sports. Then cancel it and go with either Sling or Philo and that is going to save me even more.

My only regret is I didn't start looking for an alternative to Satellite months ago when my wife first complained about the monthly expense.
Zookster and m_snow like this.

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #1061 of 1175 Old 10-14-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
....I am going to stay with YTTV through the football season. I need it for Big10, ESPN and Fox Sports. Then cancel it and go with either Sling or Philo and that is going to save me even more. ...
I tried YTTV and liked it but it offers neither Comedy Central or Hallmark M&M (for my gf). Deal breakers, both.

Keep in mind when you switch to Sling or Philo you will lose locals. If you have an antenna you may not need to get locals thru streaming TV, but you won't have DVR for locals.

I personally like Sling (even though they charge extra for DVR) and I want to switch to them when our commitment to Dish is up. I get locals well from my Antenna and have a DVR+ to record them.

Indirectly Outta Compton

Last edited by crabboy; 10-14-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Extra info
post #1062 of 1175 Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
I tried YTTV and liked it but it offers neither Comedy Central or Hallmark M&M (for my gf). Deal breakers, both.

Keep in mind when you switch to Sling or Philo you will lose locals. If you have an antenna you may not need to get locals thru streaming TV, but you won't have DVR for locals.

I personally like Sling (even though they charge extra for DVR) and I want to switch to them when our commitment to Dish is up. I get locals well from my Antenna and have a DVR+ to record them.

I don't care about Hallmark. But I really like the Daily Show. So that will be nice when I go to Sling.

And I have a DVR for locals. I'm already recording some things, like my wife's soaps and Nebraska football, redundantly! It's just going to be a matter of training my wife on the OTA DVR when we lose the locals on streaming. I didn't realize that Sling charges extra for the DVR. Thanks for that. I'll have to look into the cost difference then with the extra charge for that.

Chubby, old guy in Omaha, Nebraska
post #1063 of 1175 Old 10-14-2019, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
....I really like the Daily Show. So that will be nice when I go to Sling....I'll have to look into the cost difference then with the extra charge for that.
In the meantime, if you have a Roku device, the Comedy Central app shows the Daily Show the day after it airs, for free.
The cloud DVR from Sling is $5 a month. Still a good deal.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #1064 of 1175 Old 10-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I saw 2 codes here last night, I entered one on my iPad and saw the 2 weeks trial ending on the 28th or so, was asking for the last 4 of my CC on Google Pay. I was in bed an thought I could go back to that page when I woke up, but I can't find it anywhere. And the 2 codes have been deleted. I don't believe there is a one use limit to the codes.

If whoever it was doesn't want to post them publicly (or anyone else) PM me please.
post #1065 of 1175 Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Anyone noticed a large decrease in audio volume on certain devices but not others? YTTV is now much quieter on my Mii Box S compared to other apps and system sounds. No issues on my Shield TV Pro or eMatic Jetstream in other rooms. I've tried force closing, clearing cache, and clearing data. Haven't tried re-installing yet.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #1066 of 1175 Old 10-15-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Anyone noticed a large decrease in audio volume on certain devices but not others? YTTV is now much quieter on my Mii Box S compared to other apps and system sounds. No issues on my Shield TV Pro or eMatic Jetstream in other rooms. I've tried force closing, clearing cache, and clearing data. Haven't tried re-installing yet.

Same/normal volume on my ATV4K, Shield, Sony Android TV app and FireTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
post #1067 of 1175 Old 10-15-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
In the meantime, if you have a Roku device, the Comedy Central app shows the Daily Show the day after it airs, for free.
The cloud DVR from Sling is $5 a month. Still a good deal.
That's how we watch the Daily Show. On the west coast we get it the same night about 10PM Pac Time.
YTTV is our main provider.

Last edited by snidely; 10-19-2019 at 01:20 AM.
post #1068 of 1175 Old 10-18-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
That's how we watch the Daily Show. On the west coast we get it the same night about 10OM Pac Time.
YTTV is our main provider.
Pluto TV also has a lot of CC content for free, but mostly older stuff.
post #1069 of 1175 Old 10-25-2019, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I tried Youtube TV with a free trial a few weeks ago. The channel selection was ok for the price. But I wasn't to keen on the setup. The channel guide was too cumbersome to use. I'm just used to the old style scroll < > ^ V guide. The suggested shows also add to the mess. I typically know what I want to watch and the channel/time. The service suggests shows too fast. IE: The first time I used the service I was browsing through the channels.
I stopped onto a channel, I forget which one. I was checking the layout of the controls for a couple minutes. It suggested like 10-15 shows similar to what I left the service on. I could see getting a couple suggestions, only after I finished a show.

After a few frustrating days using Youtube TV, I cancelled it. Maybe it's too modern for me. Did I miss any settings I could have adjusted to have it work better for me? Dare I say, similar to AT&T Now?
Yes, I know they are different services. But is what I'm asking possible?
post #1070 of 1175 Old 10-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pretty happy with youtube tv since Sept 6th. It's $50 plus Florida's ridiculous 13% streaming taxes (called Florida communications service taxes) and it applies to many "internet" services like Amazon digital purchase downloads, Hulu. Kinda of weird I still don't get charged taxes on my iTunes purchases, Spotify.

Anyways my total bill is $56.70 cents give or tax.

I counted 79 youtube tv total channels. It's obviously missing Viacom and A and E networks. But I have ATT unlimited premium and more so have 41 ATT watch TV (1 stream at a time only allowed) channels as well. There are about 15 overlapping channels on ATT watch TV and YouTube TV. So total channels I have is 105.

I came from grandfathered Direct TV satellite choice (more channels than regular Choice). But the channels I know have are very similar to between directv choice and xtra.

My wife hates the Apple TV 4k remotes (we have 3 Apple TV ) but she doesn't like change to began with. When using DVR on YouTube TV. The Amazon fire TV box and stick 4k remote are easier to fast forward. But that's a device problem and not a youtube tv problem.

I just wanted to keep my combined internet/cable bill around $150. We have ATT fiber 1000mpbs ($70 unlimited with zero taxes). So my combined bill is $126 for TV and internet now.

My directv satellite promo was expiring and I was gonna to be paying $112/month with choice with 3 boxes plus $50 for ATT fiber 1000mpbs. So my total bill would have been $162. All directv retentions would have given me was $5 off a month.

We did try spectrum "silver" package with HBO/Showtime internet 400mpbs. It's very sneaky they advertise $59.99 for their mid tier but add $11 for local TV packagage, add, $12 for one DVR box (no whole house DVR), so I would have to get 3 DVR boxes ($36) plus $13 in misc taxes plus $40 for internet. So we were looking at $90 plus for just one DVR or $114 for 3 DVR. I would not be saving a single cent with Spectrum vs DirectV satellite even with their 2 year promo package. So we canceled Spectrum after 29 days and got our money back.
post #1071 of 1175 Old 10-25-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuclas View Post
Pretty happy with youtube tv since Sept 6th. It's $50 plus Florida's ridiculous 13% streaming taxes (called Florida communications service taxes) and it applies to many "internet" services like Amazon digital purchase downloads, Hulu. Kinda of weird I still don't get charged taxes on my iTunes purchases, Spotify.

Anyways my total bill is $56.70 cents give or tax.

I counted 79 youtube tv total channels. It's obviously missing Viacom and A and E networks. But I have ATT unlimited premium and more so have 41 ATT watch TV (1 stream at a time only allowed) channels as well. There are about 15 overlapping channels on ATT watch TV and YouTube TV. So total channels I have is 105.

I came from grandfathered Direct TV satellite choice (more channels than regular Choice). But the channels I know have are very similar to between directv choice and xtra.

My wife hates the Apple TV 4k remotes (we have 3 Apple TV ) but she doesn't like change to began with. When using DVR on YouTube TV. The Amazon fire TV box and stick 4k remote are easier to fast forward. But that's a device problem and not a youtube tv problem.

I just wanted to keep my combined internet/cable bill around $150. We have ATT fiber 1000mpbs ($70 unlimited with zero taxes). So my combined bill is $126 for TV and internet now.

My directv satellite promo was expiring and I was gonna to be paying $112/month with choice with 3 boxes plus $50 for ATT fiber 1000mpbs. So my total bill would have been $162. All directv retentions would have given me was $5 off a month.

We did try spectrum "silver" package with HBO/Showtime internet 400mpbs. It's very sneaky they advertise $59.99 for their mid tier but add $11 for local TV packagage, add, $12 for one DVR box (no whole house DVR), so I would have to get 3 DVR boxes ($36) plus $13 in misc taxes plus $40 for internet. So we were looking at $90 plus for just one DVR or $114 for 3 DVR. I would not be saving a single cent with Spectrum vs DirectV satellite even with their 2 year promo package. So we canceled Spectrum after 29 days and got our money back.

I’m sure you know this already but you can use any IR based remote with the ATV4K. I programmed our old DirecTV remote (which my wife was more comfortable with) and she uses it. You can skip through YTTV commercials by hitting the right directional button.

Mike
post #1072 of 1175 Old 10-25-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
I tried Youtube TV with a free trial a few weeks ago. The channel selection was ok for the price. But I wasn't to keen on the setup. The channel guide was too cumbersome to use. I'm just used to the old style scroll < > ^ V guide.

Did I miss any settings I could have adjusted to have it work better for me? Dare I say, similar to AT&T Now?
The channel guide is already exactly like AT&T Now, a simple grid you can navigate by going up, down and across. Not sure what you were looking at. But there are three headings across the top of the screen - Library, Home and Live. For the guide, go to Live. This is true on a streaming device (Fire, ATV, Roku).

The guide on a mobile device or the web only shows listings for the current time.
post #1073 of 1175 Old 10-25-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried Youtube TV with a free trial a few weeks ago. The channel selection was ok for the price. But I wasn't to keen on the setup. The channel guide was too cumbersome to use. :
You can set up the "Live" guide in any order you want. You can even "block" channels from even showing on the guide.
post #1074 of 1175 Old 10-26-2019, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The channel guide is already exactly like AT&T Now, a simple grid you can navigate by going up, down and across. Not sure what you were looking at. But there are three headings across the top of the screen - Library, Home and Live. For the guide, go to Live. This is true on a streaming device (Fire, ATV, Roku).

The guide on a mobile device or the web only shows listings for the current time.
On the outside it "looked similar". But the controls were more scatter for my & my families taste. IE: With AT&TN I could click on the guide, then scroll easily to the desired time/channel I wanted. But TYtv it was not so simple. It only provides a two hour window on the grid. Any more information is obtained by clicking on each individual channel. Which is too time consuming.

Quote:
You can set up the "Live" guide in any order you want. You can even "block" channels from even showing on the guide.
That was the only thing I did figure out to do. It was nice to have, but not enough to stick with YTtv.
post #1075 of 1175 Old 10-26-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
On the outside it "looked similar". But the controls were more scatter for my & my families taste. IE: With AT&TN I could click on the guide, then scroll easily to the desired time/channel I wanted. But TYtv it was not so simple. It only provides a two hour window on the grid. Any more information is obtained by clicking on each individual channel. Which is too time consuming.

That was the only thing I did figure out to do. It was nice to have, but not enough to stick with YTtv.

On Roku, I can scroll the entire grid to the right for about the next 8 hours.

YTTV is different from traditional, takes some getting used to. At first I had my doubts, but now I don't miss old style cable at all.
sparky7 likes this.
post #1076 of 1175 Old 10-26-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuclas View Post

Not sure it would be worth your trouble.
We are "bi-coastal". Oakland/Miami. Back and forth 4-6 times a year. Our YTTV subscription was set up and mainly used in Oakland. Although Florida condo includes Comcast - we make use of YTTV when in Miami - mainly on large tablet in kitchen. (When not in Oakland we get whatever the locals get where we are.) Just get billed flat $50, even if in Miami 2 months at a stretch.
Next time you are in another state, see if you can change your home base.
post #1077 of 1175 Old 10-26-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I agree! The guide is the main "fault" w. YTTV. Only going out 2 hours is ridiculous.
post #1078 of 1175 Old 10-26-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I agree! The guide is the main "fault" w. YTTV. Only going out 2 hours is ridiculous.
It's hard to please everybody. If they went to a 3 hr window, people would complain that it's too small to read. My Tivo and Recast are also 2 hours. Some cable/satellite boxes I've used only had an hour and a half. 3 hrs is kind of rare. The only ones that come to mind are Dish and Windows Media Center (hacked). DirecTV NOW's guide is only 2.5 hours. But I agree DTVN's guide is better in terms of show info.
post #1079 of 1175 Old 10-26-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast lets you scroll to the right for at least 7 days. Don't know about other services
post #1080 of 1175 Old 10-26-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Comcast lets you scroll to the right for at least 7 days. Don't know about other services
I thought we we're talking about the window of time you see on the screen at a given moment. Yes, most services can scroll a week or two. Youtube is also several days, not just 2 hours. That really would be ridiculous. How can you have Youtube TV and not know how the guide works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page