Youtube TV streaming service - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 436Likes

post #1171 of 1314 Old 11-15-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Scheduled next week.

Don't become like cable and force people to buy bundles. (Now they have one big bundle and raised cost from $35 to $50 when they added unwanted channels more than a year ago.)
I wasn't happy about the big price jump and addition of the Discovery channels I didn't want (which happened in April 2019, btw, not more than a year ago), but I understand YTTV trying to have a broader appeal to nonsports watchers (families).

To me Sling is more like cable in terms of "forcing you to buy bundles," because to get one must-watch channel, you have to pay for a $5 or $10 add-on bundle (like my last cable company did). I prefer how YTTV includes everything (except premium channels and services) in the base package.

Quote:

Don't force us to pay for ESPN. Included in bundle. We never watched Disney even when kids were home.
I'm sure the price YTTV pays Disney for its channels takes into account the entire suite of Disney-owned channels. If ESPN or Disney is removed from the equation, prices to carry the other channels may go up.

If you don't like ESPN or Disney, why don't you sign up for FuboTV? Or Sling Blue?

Quote:
Better guide.
According to reports, improvements are on the way. The PC browser guide has already been upgraded.

Quote:
Ability to delete recordings.
You can remove from your library anything you want, just not individual episodes of shows. With unlimited space I personally don't see what the need is. To me, it's like Netflix where you can't delete from shows in your queue individual seasons or episodes. If it's simply a matter of the episodes/seasons not being well organised, that's a different issue.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

If I were contacted to give feedback, here are my biggest pet peeves with YTTV:

Lack of 5.1 audio for live TV and on demand content on most devices.

No single-press button to return to live TV from wherever you are in the menus.

Forced VOD with commercials for recordings of CBS and CW shows.

Pushing on demand content in "Top Picks for You" row of the home menu. When I first signed up, that row mainly contained live channels I currently watched with suggestions for similar channels. As such, it used to be the best way for me to quickly see what live sports events were currently on, based on my viewing habits.

Full suite of voice controls for any device capable of receiving voice commands via remote (i.e., don't force me to set up a Google Home Hub or Alexa).

Ability to manually organize your library (at least certain categories like "Shows," "Movies" etc.)
brotony and dlflannery like this.

Last edited by Zookster; 11-15-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1314 Old 11-15-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I wasn't happy about the big price jump and addition of the Discovery channels I didn't want (which happened in April 2019, btw, not more than a year ago), but I understand YTTV trying to have a broader appeal to nonsports watchers (families).

To me Sling is more like cable in terms of "forcing you to buy bundles," because to get one must-watch channel, you have to pay for a $5 or $10 add-on bundle (like my last cable company did). I prefer how YTTV includes everything (except premium channels and services) in the base package.

I'm sure the price YTTV pays Disney for its channels takes into account the entire suite of Disney-owned channels. If ESPN or Disney is removed from the equation, prices to carry the other channels may go up.

If you don't like ESPN or Disney, why don't you sign up for FuboTV? Or Sling Blue?

According to reports, improvements are on the way. The PC browser guide has already been upgraded.

You can remove from your library anything you want, just not individual episodes of shows. With unlimited space I personally don't see what the need is. To me, it's like Netflix where you can't delete from shows in your queue individual seasons or episodes. If it's simply a matter of the episodes/seasons not being well organised, that's a different issue.

Pushing on demand content in "Top Picks for You" row of the home menu. When I first signed up, that row mainly contained live channels I currently watched with suggestions for similar channels. As such, it used to be the best way for me to quickly see what live sports events were currently on, based on my viewing habits.

Full suite of voice controls for any device capable of receiving voice commands via remote (i.e., don't force me to set up a Google Home Hub or Alexa).

Ability to manually organize your library (at least certain categories like "Shows," "Movies" etc.)

That’s a good list. I’d add a last channel button like PS Vue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mark62, Zookster and brotony like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1173 of 1314 Old 11-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:

Time to "say it like it is"

The media and stream owners/providers will ALWAYS rig the game in their favor, ie ever increasing rates, ever increasing ads, forced & ever changing bundles, etc etc.

There are finite number of hrs in a day. For mental and physical health, there really is a limit re: how many hours anyone ought to watch per day, putting an upper limit on hours/month. I think if most normal working, active people track and log their actual viewing hrs/day/week/month, it would be far cheaper to simply rent physical discs of TV series and films (going rate $2-$3/disc for 2 nights around here), or stream rentals/purchase when on sale.

We are past the point of comical madness, watching people feverishly subscribing to stream services, some they might not watch for months at a time, or at least not watch enough hrs/month to justify the sub, then foam at the mouth when content is removed, bundles change, ads increase, rates increase, while the stream churn motors on.

All that said, renting via streaming and the Amazon Video's of the world are very convenient assuming costs, ads and content are acceptable to you.

The takeaway for me is to not carry month-month subs indefinately, but rather sub for a month (or wait for free trial) when wife and I accumulate a backlog of enough content to watch in a month from that sub, then drop it.

Of course, moving forwards, the streamers will wise up and force longer duration subs and/or signup fees, etc- the cat & mouse game will never cease for IP owners vs consumers. Just have to keep changing your strategy, too

You think an antenna will save you? ATSC 3.0 will probably force payment of OTA TV too in the long run...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...l#post58829488

Last edited by Rgb; 11-17-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1314 Old 11-16-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3560
The revolution will not be televised, downloadable or streamed, Technology is collapsing, take your books and run while you can..
m_snow likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #1175 of 1314 Old 11-16-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
What would you tell YTTV if they interviewed you, in person?

Scheduled next week.
- ability to customize Library, Home or Live as the startup page
- user specified seconds for forward/back skip
- option for denser channel list with less white space
- text only, date ordered list of recorded shows - with folders for multiple episodes.
- limit recording to a single channel
- limit recording to new only
- limit recording to specified/current season
- skip to end of ads like TiVo

Obsession in moderation
post #1176 of 1314 Old 11-18-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I always wondered why people who develop software, and apps, force people to accept what teh developer wants, as opposed to was is best for the user.

Case, in point, YouTube TV. A very promising service. It has rave reviews. It offers an array of channels, of which most I watch, and eliminate the ones I never watch at all.

There is one major problem, though, if you happen to live in the Mountain Time Zone, YouTube TV uses the west coast feeds fro those cable channels which have an east and west coast feed (SyFy, USA, TBS, TNT, Free Form, Cartoon Network, to name a few) . That means, prime time runs from 9 PM - Midnight Mountain Time. National service providers (DISH, DirecTV) usually feed the east coast feeds to the Mountain Time Zone, for this reason. Yes, I could DVR what I want to watch, but that sort of defeats the purpose of paying for a live streaming service.

YouTube TV should allow subscribers to choose which feed they want, at least in the Mountain Time Zone. Right now, it determines the feed it wants to send, based on zip code. And, that zip code is forced located by Google.

I was just about to subscribe, until I noticed this issue. It is a real deal breaker.

Last edited by nmetro1; 11-18-2019 at 03:21 PM.
post #1177 of 1314 Old 11-18-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
I always wondered why people who develop software, and apps, force people to accept what teh developer wants, as opposed to was is best for the user.

Case, in point, YouTube TV. A very promising service. It has rave reviews. It offers an array of channels, of which most I watch, and eliminate the ones I never watch at all.

There is one major problem, though, if you happen to live in the Mountain Time Zone, YouTube TV uses the west coast feeds fro those cable channels which have an east and west coast feed (SyFy, USA, TBS, TNT, Free Form, Cartoon Network, to name a few) . That means, prime time runs from 9 PM - Midnight Mountain Time. National service providers (DISH, DirecTV) usually feed the east coast feeds to the Mountain Time Zone, for this reason. Yes, I could DVR what I want to watch, but that sort of defeats the purpose of paying for a live streaming service.

YouTube TV should allow subscribers to choose which feed they want, at least in the Mountain Time Zone. Right now, it determines the feed it wants to send, based on zip code. And, that zip code is forced located by Google.

I was just about to subscribe, until I noticed this issue. It is a real deal breaker.
That totally sucks, but getting west coast feeds doesn't affect the times that live news and sports start or your local network broadcasts. I know everyone has different priorities, but that for me is the only reason I subscribe to a live TV service. 90% of cable channel shows I watch the next day anyway. BTW, on the west coast, I get east coast feeds for the AMC channels. Go figure.
post #1178 of 1314 Old 11-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Before I logged in, I looked at the live schedule, it showed all east cost feeds. That was until I tried to login to my Google account.,Google Locator put my location about 10 miles east of here, in the wrong zip code. After I was logged in and looked at the guide a number of channels were now west coast feeds.

This was a little deceptive. Then, I found out there is no way to contact Google at all; let alone to ask to have some kind of exception, to get east cost feeds.

I understand location to be used for local channels, but it the subscriber should be given a choice if the want east or west feeds. We lose out on lots of so called "live" programming, because local TV delays network programming one hour, as it is.

Quote:
That totally sucks, but getting west coast feeds doesn't affect the times that live news and sports start or your local network broadcasts. I know everyone has different priorities, but that for me is the only reason I subscribe to a live TV service. 90% of cable channel shows I watch the next day anyway. BTW, on the west coast, I get east coast feeds for the AMC channels. Go figure.
post #1179 of 1314 Old 11-18-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
Before I logged in, I looked at the live schedule, it showed all east cost feeds. That was until I tried to login to my Google account.,Google Locator put my location about 10 miles east of here, in the wrong zip code. After I was logged in and looked at the guide a number of channels were now west coast feeds.

This was a little deceptive. Then, I found out there is no way to contact Google at all; let alone to ask to have some kind of exception, to get east cost feeds.

I understand location to be used for local channels, but it the subscriber should be given a choice if the want east or west feeds. We lose out on lots of so called "live" programming, because local TV delays network programming one hour, as it is.

Yes you can contact them. I’ve done it several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1180 of 1314 Old 11-18-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just came here to post the same thing as m_snow. Here's a screen shot of how to contact YouTube TV help in the PC browser app. They should be able to help give you your correct zip code. As for selecting your preferred feeds (east vs. west coast), I know of no TV provider that does that (though maybe that's common practice in "flyover" time zones and I've never encountered it on the west coast).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YTTV Help Contact.png
Views:	24
Size:	587.6 KB
ID:	2642782  
m_snow likes this.
post #1181 of 1314 Old 11-18-2019, 05:06 PM

I just did, even though a web site indicated that chat did not work.

There response. They are new at this, and that they will pass my feedback to the engineers. In the mean time, feeds are assigned based upon zip code. Right now there is no way to override feed assignment, nor a way for a customer to select which feeds they want.

Anyone with computer programming experience, and database knowledge, can easily come up with solution. A simple program which goes through their database, determine which zip codes are in the Mountain Time Zone, and change a flag setting from West to East. This is not difficult to do, if you know the database format, and have supporting data to determine which zip codes are in which timezone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Yes you can contact them. I’ve done it several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m_snow likes this.
post #1182 of 1314 Old 11-18-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5160 Post(s)
Liked: 4631
YouTube TV seems like the best streaming TV option by far...but they really need to add Dolby Digital 5.1 audio for Live programming...stereo is not going to cut it for me and probably a lot of other people...if they could add 4K capabilities then that would be icing on the cake
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #1183 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
YouTube TV seems like the best streaming TV option by far...but they really need to add Dolby Digital 5.1 audio for Live programming...stereo is not going to cut it for me and probably a lot of other people...if they could add 4K capabilities then that would be icing on the cake
A ton of people have been complaining about this for years. Seems most people listen through their TV speakers and these streaming sites just don't care.

I've had the best luck with 5.1 audio playing from the content library and casting to Chromecast Ultra.
post #1184 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
A ton of people have been complaining about this for years. Seems most people listen through their TV speakers and these streaming sites just don't care.

I've had the best luck with 5.1 audio playing from the content library and casting to Chromecast Ultra.
That puts me in a tough spot. I really want to dump AT&T TV Now but lack of 5.1 live TV on YTTV is holding me back. It can't cost them much to just allow 5.1 sound. I just don't get it.
post #1185 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5160 Post(s)
Liked: 4631
Quote:

I keep hearing rumors that they are working on adding 5.1 audio so hopefully it's not too far off
post #1186 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I personally would like to see a double blind study of adding 5.1 to the stream vs utilizing a decent AVR/suround setup to "synthesize it".

I thought I'd miss 5.1 when I kicked DirecTV to the curb in exchange for YTTV. Don't miss it a bit in rooms set up for surround. I'd like to note that YTTV is just my "TV watching" vehicle.

I definitely don't have audiophile setups but it's solid enough for my ear and use.

I've got 3 rooms in the house set up for surround using 2 Yamaha RX-A1020's and one with a TSR-7850.

In the theater I use 7.2 (1020, 4xPolk monitor 70 for front and surround, 2xmonitor 40 for rear, CS2 center, homebuilt PartsExpress MarkIII subs))

In the gameroom 5.1 (1020, 2xmonitor40 for surround, 2xmonitor 60 for front, CS2, PSW505).

In my daily room, the family room (7850, 5.2.2, 6xmonitor40 for front/surround/presence, CS2, PSW505)

IF it's going to cost more to add 5.1 I'd rather not have it and invest in better equipment at home and I'd rather see the "bits" go towards the picture

I'm sure many will disagree but that's what makes life great

Last edited by rakstr; 11-19-2019 at 11:26 AM.
post #1187 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I keep hearing rumors that they are working on adding 5.1 audio so hopefully it's not too far off
A YTTV engineer said in a Reddit thread last fall (2018) they were targeting first half of 2019 for 5.1, audio as they were working on other priorities first. Well, we've had two or three minor updates to the app interface over the past several months, including one this week, and still no 5.1, and no updates on a prognosis.

I'm losing hope.

Regular Hulu has gotten away for years with not implementing 5.1 on some of the most popular streaming platforms, including Roku. And that's an on demand service like Netflix and Amazon Prime. And as time marches on, more and more people settle for simpler soundbar setups. Last year, I inherited my dad's entire 5.1 set up (including JBL tower speakers) as he opted to go the soundbar route solely to "get rid of all the wires." (He had previously been an early adopter when it came to stereo and surround setups.)

So I can see there isn't much incentive to prioritize 5.1 for YTTV. We're becoming a niche consumer. In the Facebook YouTube TV group, I would guess way fewer than 10% of the regular contributors care about 5.1 audio, and of those (including me), we all have signed on and would continue with YouTube TV anyway.
rakstr and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #1188 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A YTTV engineer said in a Reddit thread last fall (2018) they were targeting first half of 2019 for 5.1, audio as they were working on other priorities first. Well, we've had two or three minor updates to the app interface over the past several months, including one this week, and still no 5.1, and no updates on a prognosis.

I'm losing hope.

Regular Hulu has gotten away for years with not implementing 5.1 on some of the most popular streaming platforms, including Roku. And that's an on demand service like Netflix and Amazon Prime. And as time marches on, more and more people settle for simpler soundbar setups. Last year, I inherited my dad's entire 5.1 set up (including JBL tower speakers) as he opted to go the soundbar route solely to "get rid of all the wires." (He had previously been an early adopter when it came to stereo and surround setups.)

So I can see there isn't much incentive to prioritize 5.1 for YTTV. We're becoming a niche consumer. In the Facebook YouTube TV group, I would guess way fewer than 10% of the regular contributors care about 5.1 audio, and of those (including me), we all have signed on and would continue with YouTube TV anyway.
I hit the "like" button on this post but I didn't want to because unfortunately you are right and that's sad no 5.1.
Mocs123 and Zookster like this.
post #1189 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 02:39 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9545 Post(s)
Liked: 6231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
And the crappy AT&T TV Now that AT&T could not give a crap about has 5.1 sound. What is stopping these services from having 5.1 sound? Crap, overpriced rip off regular cable has had 5.1 DD since the late 90s. Matter of fact I get DD+ with AT&T TV Now.
The problem is when they re-compress it. Services have typically dropped the DD audio when they re-compress recordings for storage in the cloud.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1190 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 02:42 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9545 Post(s)
Liked: 6231
Quote:
All the info that is in the 5.1 track is still there with the stereo audio. As long as your receiver is properly applying post processing, it will place the audio in the proper channels. At least Dolby Surround and Dolby Pro Logic IIx will anyway.

When I was trying out the streaming services last year, I compared my 5.1 FiOS recordings with the stereo cloud recordings. And the audio placement seemed to be the same. For instance,
sounds that came from the left rear channel in the 5.1 recording also came from the left rear with the stereo audio using the DOlby post processing.

Of course sometimes the stereo track can be borked, and in that case the post processing cannot place the audio properly. But fortunately that does not happen very often.
rakstr and LDBetaGuy like this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 11-19-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #1191 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sound quality is independent of the number of channels of audio. High quality two channel audio can process nicely with Dolby processing, it won't always have the most channel separation vs. a true surround mix but usually a pleasing sound field will result. But crappy sounding audio in 5.1 is locked in. Most recent TV programs have high quality audio.

post #1192 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 5048
I have both services currently, AT&T tv now and YTTV. I'm running a 5.1.4 through a Denon x6200w and even with the Neural: X upmixing applied to the YT stream I can still tell a difference in the sound quality.
The 5.1 on ATTVN just sounds better, more "full".
Hoping YTTV will eventually add 5.1 sound as my other service ends in a couple days.
I'll live with it though, it's not the end of the world.
tenthplanet and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #1193 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm losing hope.

And outside of AVS and few other forums and web sites, most people are mostly price driven/cheap vs. quality motivated. Of course a balance can be struck, but anywhere you go if you're willing to pay a little more you're fighting people you always think they pay too much.

I still have faith Hulu will get the 5.1 sound on the VOD part if not the Hulu Live, I think after Disney + has been going for awhile they'll get around to it. You never know with Disney.

post #1194 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
All the info that is in the 5.1 track is still there with the stereo audio. As long as your receiver is properly applying post processing, it will place the audio in the proper channels. At least Dolby Surround and Dolby Pro Logic IIx will anyway.

When I was trying out the streaming services last year, I compared my 5.1 FiOS recordings with the stereo cloud recordings. And the audio placement seemed to be the same. For instance,

sounds that came from the left rear channel in the 5.1 recording also came from the left rear with the stereo audio using the DOlby post processing.

Of course sometimes the stereo track can be borked, and in that case the post processing cannot place the audio properly. But fortunately that does not happen very often.
I find this to almost never be the case.

I DVR both OTA network shows and YTTV and flip between them.

Not only is audio stereo only the quality is often much lower on top of losing the center and surround channels.

Dolby Surround can only do so much to upmix the low quality audio.
post #1195 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The problem is when they re-compress it. Services have typically dropped the DD audio when they re-compress recordings for storage in the cloud.
Totally agree.

post #1196 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Not only is audio stereo only the quality is often much lower on top of losing the center and surround channels.

I agree, the simulated surround sound can only do too much and it's no where near the real thing. Some times it sounds ok, but it's just not the same as 5.1 sound.
post #1197 of 1314 Old 11-19-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

True, it's not like comparing stereo vs. surround on say Netflix shows and movies. Cloud dvr recordings can crunch the audio down even if the video looks quiet good. Even the ones that preserve 5.1 sound. It's not that it has to, the technology is not the problem.

post #1198 of 1314 Old 11-20-2019, 06:44 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Isn't live TV archaic?

Only purpose I see for live TV is news and sports events, or other live performance that has value watching live.

For any scripted drama or other non-time-sensitive recorded program, I would rather view it at my liesure from a stream source.

Even routine news can be viewed via summaries or clips from a stream source- or even better, read from site(s)/feeds you prefer/trust.

Synchronous, scheduled broadcast is dead for anything but live entertainment/sports or world events.

I prefer asynchronous viewing
LDBetaGuy likes this.
post #1199 of 1314 Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Agreed but when viewing from the content library you cannot skip time wasting commercials.

Many opt to watch the recorded live TV stream because of that and you lose out on the higher quality video (native frame rate) and multichannel audio stream.
post #1200 of 1314 Old 11-20-2019, 10:52 AM

I found there was a way around the west coast feed issue, in Denver, and it is called ExpressVPN. Not the best or perfect solution, but at least it works.

I have no idea what YouTube TV is going to do in February 17. I get a message that say something similar to: Please identify your location ,by February 17, or you will lose local content. As I am not reeceiving any local content; I guess it may not matter.

While ExpressVPN gives you a public IP in the eastern time zone, YoutubeTV provided local channels are still blocked.

While I do not get locals, that doe snot matter at all to me. I have a Tablo and I get OTA fro nearly 60 Denver main and sub channels. Also, YouTube TV doe snot carry AT&T SportNet Rocky Mountain or Altitude, soI gain nothing from having local content.

What is the perfect solution? YouTube TV should offer a national package with no locals. The customer can choose which feeds they want; east or west.

I am impressed with the picture quality and stability. I have a 1gb fiber connection, and this works perfectly. No freeze, no drops. I have an Orbi Wireless Mesh Network, and this works great on an Android tablet, as well as two Samsung 4k TVs.

While 5.1 surround would be nice; it sounds great through my Sony Home Theater System.

I am about to drop T-Mobiles TVision (formerly Layer3 TV), because it suffers from freezes, drops, etc. Everything is HD, where possible, and does have 5.1 sound, on those channels that offer it. In the end, I am saving about $30 a month by dropping them. I get elss channels, but 2/3 of them I never watch. YouTube TV, I get almost all the channels I do watch.

I added EPIX, Starz and Shudder so $71 is a savings, even with a $99/year subscription to ExpressVPN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page