Youtube TV streaming service - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 514Likes

post #1201 of 1520 Old 11-20-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Isn't live TV archaic?

Only purpose I see for live TV is news and sports events, or other live performance that has value watching live.

For any scripted drama or other non-time-sensitive recorded program, I would rather view it at my liesure from a stream source.

Even routine news can be viewed via summaries or clips from a stream source- or even better, read from site(s)/feeds you prefer/trust.

Synchronous, scheduled broadcast is dead for anything but live entertainment/sports or world events.

I prefer asynchronous viewing

Think of it as someone else creating a 'play list' and a 'schedule' for viewing that playlist for you.
I don't see anything wrong with that. Sometimes I want to relieve myself from the stress of making those decisions. What if I have OCD and end up watching the same thing over and over without realizing it? :-)

You also forgot the concept of 'reruns' vs first time viewing. What if I want to see something the first time anyone is allowed to see it.
A lot of South Park episodes (and some Simpsons) were only allowed to air once without censoring then had stuff cut or blurred out after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1520 Old 11-20-2019, 12:14 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
Think of it as someone else creating a 'play list' and a 'schedule' for viewing that playlist for you.
I don't see anything wrong with that. Sometimes I want to relieve myself from the stress of making those decisions. What if I have OCD and end up watching the same thing over and over without realizing it? :-)

You also forgot the concept of 'reruns' vs first time viewing. What if I want to see something the first time anyone is allowed to see it.
A lot of South Park episodes (and some Simpsons) were only allowed to air once without censoring then had stuff cut or blurred out after that.
Reruns? If new seasons of South Park or similar sophomoric shows (many Netflix series for example) went right to a stream provider like NF or Amazon, they would be unedited and no ads (for now).

Ahhh, we will pine for the days of having 2-4 good quality VCR's in the house from an unencrypted analog cable feed (split to as many displays and recorders as you want) and recording to S-VHS tapes in EP mode on all 4 for all the programs you watch, then FF thru commercials as you watch.
post #1203 of 1520 Old 11-20-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
With many people cutting the cord and resorting to hooking up an antenna as their sole or primary source for TV, any rumors of the demise of live TV are greatly exaggerated: https://www.latimes.com/business/hol...228-story.html
Rgb and rakstr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1520 Old 11-20-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
YouTube TV seems like the best streaming TV option by far...
IF you can do without Comedy Central (me) or Hallmark Movies & Mysteries (my lady). If money was no option I would have YTTV (for locals and PBS (soon) and an otherwise good selection) and Philo (for CC and HMM), But that would put me in the $70 range which starts to compete with cable/satellite.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #1205 of 1520 Old 11-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Reruns? If new seasons of South Park or similar sophomoric shows (many Netflix series for example) went right to a stream provider like NF or Amazon, they would be unedited and no ads (for now).

Ahhh, we will pine for the days of having 2-4 good quality VCR's in the house from an unencrypted analog cable feed (split to as many displays and recorders as you want) and recording to S-VHS tapes in EP mode on all 4 for all the programs you watch, then FF thru commercials as you watch.

That was just an example of an advantage to watching a first run 'show' (not having to worry about 'spoiler alerts' would be another). The show's content (sophomoric or not) isn't relevant. Don't you mean they would be pre-edited? What do ads have to do with anything?

As for the 2nd comment - GFYS.
post #1206 of 1520 Old 11-21-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
IF you can do without Comedy Central (me) or Hallmark Movies & Mysteries (my lady). If money was no option I would have YTTV (for locals and PBS (soon) and an otherwise good selection) and Philo (for CC and HMM), But that would put me in the $70 range which starts to compete with cable/satellite.
$70 is only half what I would be paying for cable if I went back (after any 12-month promo deals expire). And that's for one DVR receiver - no access on any other TVs in my house, like I get with YTTV, without adding $20-$30 more to my bill for extra box rentals and add'l DVR-related fees.
rakstr likes this.
post #1207 of 1520 Old 11-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

I like sophomoric content as well as the next guy
Was implying that stream providers have unedited, more edgy, R-rated content when added, as well as no ads on the Netflix/Amazon video streamers vs liveTV streaming.

"GFYS" for the VCR comment!?
post #1208 of 1520 Old 11-22-2019, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 8
If you live, in a reasonably sized market, OTA offers almost as much variety as cable, but fro free. In many cases, most OTA sub channels are showing niche programming similar to to early days of cable.

Fro example:

Comet - The is the SciFi channel, as it was 20 years ago.
Retro, MeTV, COZI, Antenna TV, Light TV (sort of like Hallmark), Decades - Think "Nick at Nite"
Qubo - Kids channel like Nick Jr.\
H&I, Ion Plus, ThisTV, GetTV, GRIT, Charge - Drama programming
Stadium, which is like ESPN News, and does have some live sports.
REVN - Think MotorTrend
TDB - Viceland
Movies! - TCM with commercials

This is just a few examples. H&I for example, runs each of the "Star Trek" series each night, except Saturday, during prime time.

YouTube Tv helps fill in the gaps, and provides live sports. Though there is

In Denver there are well over 80 main and sub channels. About 50 or so of them are not religious, shopping and Spanish channels.

Couple OTA, with YouTube TV and Pluto you get all the scheduled and streaming that you want. By the way, with a Tablo or whole house TV, you can stream OTA to all your Tvs with a Roku, ro an app.

This is why cord cutting has accelerated. People are discovering what it being broadcast for free. And what is being sent OTA, is better than what is on cable.

Finally, new channels keep popping up, And, the NTSC 3.0 broadcast standard and G5, may put an end to traditional cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
With many people cutting the cord and resorting to hooking up a
antenna as their sole or primary source for TV, any rumors of the demise of live TV are greatly exaggerated: https://www.latimes.com/business/hol...228-story.html
Rgb and beerhunt like this.
post #1209 of 1520 Old 11-22-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
$70 is only half what I would be paying for cable if I went back (after any 12-month promo deals expire). And that's for one DVR receiver - no access on any other TVs in my house, like I get with YTTV, without adding $20-$30 more to my bill for extra box rentals and add'l DVR-related fees.
By threatening Dish with leaving, we got their "Welcome Pack" for $37+ (Although the year is almost up - we'll see if they continue that price). We get Dish on 2 TVs although we do 99%+ of our viewing in the living room. I have antennas hooked up to the upstairs TVs along with Rokus, so plenty of entertainment is available on our other TVs.
HOWEVER, the "Welcome Pack" does not include ESPN or TNT. If Dish does not continue their price we may switch to Sling. We are near an antenna farm so I can get locals (and record them with my DVR+). Sling offers all the extras we desire (including CC and HMM with their "lifestyle" pack). Even with $5 extra for cloud DVR and $5 extra for the "lifestyle pack I would only pay $35 a month.
If you do not have access to locals, YTTV is the best bet, channels missing notwithstanding.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #1210 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3675
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
If you live, in a reasonably sized market, OTA offers almost as much variety as cable, but fro free. In many cases, most OTA sub channels are showing niche programming similar to to early days of cable.

Fro example:

Retro, MeTV, COZI, Antenna TV, Light TV (sort of like Hallmark), Decades - Think "Nick at Nite"
REVN - Think MotorTrend
TDB - Viceland

This is just a few examples. H&I for example, runs each of the "Star Trek" series each night, except Saturday, during prime time.

In Denver there are well over 80 main and sub channels. About 50 or so of them are not religious, shopping and Spanish channels.

Couple OTA, with YouTube TV and Pluto you get all the scheduled and streaming that you want. By the way, with a Tablo or whole house TV, you can stream OTA to all your Tvs with a Roku, ro an app.

This is why cord cutting has accelerated. People are discovering what it being broadcast for free. And what is being sent OTA, is better than what is on cable.

Finally, new channels keep popping up, And, the NTSC 3.0 broadcast standard and G5, may put an end to traditional cable.
Much of that programming is running of SD subchannels, a lot of them don't look that good . Most of the live TV usage are competition type of shows of the big networks, those will be in HD. (Watercooler shows) OTA has a lot of stuff you won't want if you're younger. Don't put any money into a DVR till you know if you get reception, and if you want anything beyond the main nets. Don't be surprised if streaming fills more of your needs, there are lots of non-OTA cord cutters. NTSC 3.0 signals won't change the laws of physics, if a mountain is in your way, it always will be. The future is the internet...

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #1211 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So, wouldn't you know it:
Just finished my YTTV free trial and really liked it -- just got the first charge to my credit card. So I cut cable, converted my TiVo to OTA, and returned my CableCARD and Tuning Adapter to Spectrum.

Immediately my YTTV glitch (freezing, spinning circles) rate went from negligible to bothersome! Am I being paranoic or could this sudden degradation be related to the fact that they know I'm past the free-trial stage?
post #1212 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Was your internet bundled with your TV? Did the package/speed change as a result of cancelling one and not the other?
Regardless they may have had to make profile changes and botched something. That's where I'd look first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlflannery View Post
Just finished my YTTV free trial and really liked it -- just got the first charge to my credit card. So I cut cable, converted my TiVo to OTA, and returned my CableCARD and Tuning Adapter to Spectrum.

Immediately my YTTV glitch (freezing, spinning circles) rate went from negligible to bothersome! Am I being paranoic or could this sudden degradation be related to the fact that they know I'm past the free-trial stage?
post #1213 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:

When I cut my Spectrum cable and just kept internet, they changed by internet plan, which was OK plan-wise but when I got home I had no connection. Had to call customer service because for some reason they also took my router off the plan. Once they re-connected I was good. So check your internet speed and latency. Maybe even reboot your modem.

I highly doubt your issues have anything to do with YTTV. That would not make sense since so may customers have no issues.
post #1214 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Was your internet bundled with your TV? Did the package/speed change as a result of cancelling one and not the other?
Regardless they may have had to make profile changes and botched something. That's where I'd look first.
Yeah, that was one of the first things I suspected. However my internet plan was not changed and it tests the same as before: 100 down, 10 up, 30 msec ping on a PC. I can even test it with an app on my Fire TV Cube (Analiti) and that yields 90 to 95 Mbps. My Cube is ethernet connected BTW.

Not sure about a "profile" change? What would that be and how would I check for it beyond speed tests? I run my own router so I know that hasn't changed.

I wish I could get details on how to interpret the "Stats for Nerds" stats. I've searched but descriptions I've found don't go into enough detail. I did notice a post on Reddit from someone who claimed to work for Google saying the connection speeds shown in the Apple TV YTTV App can't be trusted because the app doesn't report accurate info to YTTV. Wouldn't surprise me if similar issues applied to my Fire TV YTTV app. I've noticed the connection speed varying from 13,000+ (Kbps) down to 1000. I think this variation happens only on live programs. I also see the resolution dropping down (e.g., 1080 drops to 720) then back up during a program. This may be associated with commercial breaks and doesn't seem to correlate with the lower connection speeds. The "buffer health" is almost always in the 15 to 30 seconds range and dropped frames are very few. The viewing is acceptable even during these fluctuations although I will get a spinning circle for a few seconds perhaps once or twice per hour on some programs.

I don't expect perfection but it bothers me these glitches became more frequent right after I finished my 2-week trial.

Last edited by dlflannery; 11-23-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #1215 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 07:52 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Fro example:

REVN - Think MotorTrend
TDB - Viceland

Nice rundown of the Renaissance in OTA broadcast the past few years. Positive counterpoint to the doom and gloom posts of mine and others

Seeing all the Trek, Stargate and others OTA so readily is like the 70's and 80's again

In the very long run (10+ yrs), ATSC 3.0 may improve some things, make other things worse for consumers.

OTOH, 5G+ cell, new sat tech and new stream business models will keep things interesting. Just have to reevaluate at least once a year and adjust your strategy to balance content and costs.

Last edited by Rgb; 11-23-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #1216 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 08:14 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Much of that programming is running of SD subchannels, a lot of them don't look that good . Most of the live TV usage are competition type of shows of the big networks, those will be in HD. (Watercooler shows) OTA has a lot of stuff you won't want if you're younger. Don't put any money into a DVR till you know if you get reception, and if you want anything beyond the main nets. Don't be surprised if streaming fills more of your needs, there are lots of non-OTA cord cutters. NTSC 3.0 signals won't change the laws of physics, if a mountain is in your way, it always will be. The future is the internet...
Yep, subchannels can be low bitrate and over compressed with MPEG artifacts, etc.

But for the target audience who remembers OTA with rabbit ears and snowy, horizontally and vertically rolling pic, it just adds to the nostalgia

Also, technically, a lot of those older programs from the 70's, 80s, 9-s are 4x3 480i receorded programs anyways.
post #1217 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 08:28 AM

Considering I live in a hilly/mountainous region, and I am 30+ miles from the Denver towers, DTV actually has not been bad receiving here. New antenna technology has a lot to do with it. The picture quality, even on 480i channels, looks great. The Tablo and Roku doing up convert to 720p certainly helps. I will say the picture quality exceeds cable and satellite, as the providers, I used, tend to send out grainy local channels. And, they were usually 45 seconds to a minute behind the live broadcast.

Also, OTA really depends on your market. Denver has a number of channels. I am surprised I can receive a number of the low power stations. This, with hills and mesas in the way.

OTA sub channels are not perfect, many are 480i, but content wise at least it offers more variety than cable's reality programming which has taken over most of the channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Chuck Ebby likes this.
post #1218 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Provisioning profiles in the various equipment that determine your service(s). Have you tried a complete power off and wait of your modem/router? Also with my FIOS I sometimes have to log into the modem/router and release/renew my network address. In extreme cases I'll reset the ONT but I try to leave that until the absolute last thing before having to call Frontier.

Quote:
Yeah, that was one of the first things I suspected. However my internet plan was not changed and it tests the same as before: 100 down, 10 up, 30 msec ping on a PC. I can even test it with an app on my Fire TV Cube (Analiti) and that yields 90 to 95 Mbps. My Cube is ethernet connected BTW.

Not sure about a "profile" change? What would that be and how would I check for it beyond speed tests? I run my own router so I know that hasn't changed.

I wish I could get details on how to interpret the "Stats for Nerds" stats. I've searched but descriptions I've found don't go into enough detail. I did notice a post on Reddit from someone who claimed to work for Google saying the connection speeds shown in the Apple TV YTTV App can't be trusted because the app doesn't report accurate info to YTTV. Wouldn't surprise me if similar issues applied to my Fire TV YTTV app. I've noticed the connection speed varying from 13,000+ (Kbps) down to 1000. I think this variation happens only on live programs. I also see the resolution dropping down (e.g., 1080 drops to 720) then back up during a program. This may be associated with commercial breaks and doesn't seem to correlate with the lower connection speeds. The "buffer health" is almost always in the 15 to 30 seconds range and dropped frames are very few. The viewing is acceptable even during these fluctuations although I will get a spinning circle for a few seconds perhaps once or twice per hour on some programs.

I don't expect perfection but it bothers me these glitches became more frequent right after I finished my 2-week trial.
post #1219 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Just tried to catch up on this thread by reading back to page 30.

It is great not to be locked into a contract with Directv anymore. I tried Hulu Live, Fubo, Directv Now (or whatever the new AT&t name is for it) and YouTube TV is currently the one I've settled into. It's main competitor for me was Fubo. I miss the NFL network on YouTube TV as well as Hallmark. Fubo has really made strides since I tried it a year ago. But it just doesn't compete with the number of channels 1080p and 60fps on YouTube.

I'm doing most of my viewing using a 4k/hdr Fire TV which I generally prefer now after years of having preferred various generations of Roku.

Enjoyed reading and getting insights from the posts on this thread. Really seems we are on the verge of great things for streaming in general.

post #1220 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, subchannels can be low bitrate and over compressed with MPEG artifacts, etc.

But for the target audience who remembers OTA with rabbit ears and snowy, horizontally and vertically rolling pic, it just adds to the nostalgia

Also, technically, a lot of those older programs from the 70's, 80s, 9-s are 4x3 480i receorded programs anyways.
So all of that messing around in the beginning of the original 'The Outer Limits' is addressing those people..Now I get it

post #1221 of 1520 Old 11-23-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post

And factor in the rise of unpredictable reruns. If you missed an episode of a program you can no longer count on it rerunning, nor can you count on watching it on a streaming service later on. You can usually buy an episode of most programs now. (Conspiracy theorists, they are trying to get you to BUY everything ) Consider live tv feeding a dvr, you now have a level of control limited only by your hard drive space and what ever time you have to watch. Keep what you want and ditch the rest.

post #1222 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 10:35 AM

So, I was watching TCM this morning, and the same thing happened yesterday morning, at precisely noon, I get a message "this movie is not available for streaming on the Internet". Yesterday, "The Maltese Falcon", today "Annie Get Your Gun". Neither are recent movies; 1941 and 1950 respectively. So, I went over to the TCM web site to check if YouTube TV was listed as any of its providers; it isn't. Nor, are other providers like Hulu, Fubo, et al. listed either. Though, all advertise they carry TCM.

I have had YouTube TV for a couple days, and one of the reasons I subscribed to it was for TCM. In addition the various sports networks. I do not mind dealing with sports black outs; that is expected. But, black outs for movies from a channel which owns pretty much most of the movies it airs? Because, some other channel on YouTube TV has first rights? Again, we are talking a 1941 and 1950 movie here.

So, what other channels, besides TCM, get blocked in this manner, that are not sports channels?

Also, who is doing the blocking YouTube TV or the provider?

Yes, I am new to Live TV streaming, but I expect to get the non-sports channels I pay for 24/7.
post #1223 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
So, I was watching TCM this morning, and the same thing happened yesterday morning, at precisely noon, I get a message "this movie is not available for streaming on the Internet". Yesterday, "The Maltese Falcon", today "Annie Get Your Gun". Neither are recent movies; 1941 and 1950 respectively. So, I went over to the TCM web site to check if YouTube TV was listed as any of its providers; it isn't. Nor, are other providers like Hulu, Fubo, et al. listed either. Though, all advertise they carry TCM.

I have had YouTube TV for a couple days, and one of the reasons I subscribed to it was for TCM. In addition the various sports networks. I do not mind dealing with sports black outs; that is expected. But, black outs for movies from a channel which owns pretty much most of the movies it airs? Because, some other channel on YouTube TV has first rights? Again, we are talking a 1941 and 1950 movie here.

So, what other channels, besides TCM, get blocked in this manner, that are not sports channels?

Yes, I am new to Live TV streaming, but I expect to get the non-sports channels I pay for 24/7.

Evidently, TCM never purchased the streaming rights to those movies. So they can show them over cable, but not streaming. I know that's crazy. Legacy contracting I suppose. TCM should at least put something in its place and show that on the guide.
post #1224 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I just tried to get the live feed of "Annie get your gun" on TCM and got the not available message. I think it's false advertising by YTTV to include that channel in their lineup, and will tell them so.
post #1225 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 11:34 AM

TCM is a cable channel, like just about everything YouTube TV carries. Yet, they may not have full carriage agreements for all their channels. By the way, the movies I mentioned, were not available for On Demand or anywhere else on their system.

The two movies have one thing in common, they are owned by Turner.. Any Warner Brothers film, before widescreen started in 1953, is owned by Turner. As are RKO and MGM filmes. One of the reasons why AMC dropped classic movies, was Turned bought much of what AMC was showing on their channel. Yes, the channel of "The Walking Dead" and "Ad Men", was once like TCM during the 1980s, until 1995.

While some think otherwise, TCM is one of the best of basic cable channels. Mainly because of its array of films, and that it is commercial free. But, they do not offer a separate streaming ability; it is tied in with cables and satellite companies. So, unless you get Sling or what was DirectTv Now, TCM on legal live streaming services may also be blocked. My guess blocking is done at the TCM end, not the YouTube TV end.

Quote:
I just tried to get the live feed of "Annie get your gun" on TCM and got the not available message. I think it's false advertising by YTTV to include that channel in their lineup, and will tell them so.
post #1226 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Evidently, TCM never purchased the streaming rights to those movies. So they can show them over cable, but not streaming. I know that's crazy. Legacy contracting I suppose. TCM should at least put something in its place and show that on the guide.
I just browsed to the YTTV channels advertised for my zipcode. Down at the bottom of the page, in very tiny print, it says "Subject to availability". Not cool. But they do offer the 2-week free trial so you can discover for yourself.

It would be nice if they flagged the non-availability in the live guide, so you don't have to select the channel just to find out your can't view it.
post #1227 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Immediately my YTTV glitch (freezing, spinning circles) rate went from negligible to bothersome!..........
Quote:
Quote:
. .......... Have you tried a complete power off and wait of your modem/router? .........
Pretty sure the problem is YTTV itself, or the app on my Fire TV being updated. Facts:
1. I've rebooted and/or power-cycled every device that my packets go thru. (cable modem, router, switch, and Fire TV Cube.)
2. My internet tests 100/10 as always.
3. Other streaming sources (Netflix, Amazon, Acorn TV) stream totally glitch free as always.
4. The Fire TV app had an update on the very day the glitches started.

Another very interesting discovery: The glitches occur ONLY on live channels or recordings of live streams. VOD videos stream perfectly. This fits one idea a friend mentioned, which is that some content (e.g., VOD) may be hosted on separate servers (I think he said something like "content delivery" servers), which are usually located closer to your location and are used for streaming non-live content like Netflix.

I'm reporting a lot of glitches thru the feedback feature of the YTTV app.
post #1228 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Go get a ROKU The Stick+ is $29.99 right now for pre-BF at Walmart and other retailers.

Quote:
Pretty sure the problem is YTTV itself, or the app on my Fire TV being updated. Facts:
1. I've rebooted and/or power-cycled every device that my packets go thru. (cable modem, router, switch, and Fire TV Cube.)
2. My internet tests 100/10 as always.
3. Other streaming sources (Netflix, Amazon, Acorn TV) stream totally glitch free as always.
4. The Fire TV app had an update on the very day the glitches started.

Another very interesting discovery: The glitches occur ONLY on live channels or recordings of live streams. VOD videos stream perfectly. This fits one idea a friend mentioned, which is that some content (e.g., VOD) may be hosted on separate servers (I think he said something like "content delivery" servers), which are usually located closer to your location and are used for streaming non-live content like Netflix.

I'm reporting a lot of glitches thru the feedback feature of the YTTV app.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1229 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 02:37 PM

Yep, the Roku Stick $k HDR works great with YouTube TV. Much more stable than the app on Samsung TVs, by the way. If you have a great wireless, I use an Orbi Mesh Wifi Router with two satellites. The only time I have seen buffering, was the issues they were having yesterday morning. I have 1GB fiber, so nothing should buffer with that.

Rakstar, GO BUCKS! BEAT TTUN!

O-H!

Quote:
Go get a ROKU The Stick+ is $29.99 right now for pre-BF at Walmart and other retailers.
post #1230 of 1520 Old 11-24-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

In almost two years, I've never encountered any nonsports blocked content. In fact, the few blocked sports events I've encountered were always per the league and geography, not YTTV. Of course, my not encountering blocked content has to do to some degree with the kinds of things I watch (live sports, news, and new prime time shows on the broadcast networks and cable nets).

With that said, in addition to certain TCM content, I understand some syndicated shows on local affiliates are subject to blackout depending on whether your local affiliates have secured streaming rights. Stuff like game shows, talk shows, court room reality TV shows, etc. Again, I've never encountered it, but in other YTTV discussion forums, it does come up and is totally based on your market. I wouldn't say it's widespread, but it does come up. YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page