Youtube TV streaming service - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1295 Old 11-28-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 5035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
And when they do brother, I'm coming right over. Actually one more price increase for AT&T TV Now and I'm coming over with or without DD 5.1.
And you know I was the biggest fan of DtvNow AT&T TV Now! Just couldn't take the constant price increases!
Had they kept it around $60 a month, I'd probably still be there because of the incredible picture quality and 5.1
But $90 a month...Yeah...no thanks! Lol
xiaNaix likes this.
subacabra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1295 Old 11-28-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
And you know I was the biggest fan of DtvNow AT&T TV Now! Just couldn't take the constant price increases!
Had they kept it around $60 a month, I'd probably still be there because of the incredible picture quality and 5.1
But $90 a month...Yeah...no thanks! Lol
Could not agree more.
subacabra likes this.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #1263 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 01:42 PM
JGM
Senior Member
 
JGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
The second agent on Sunday admitted it was a YTTV problem, confirmed that it was widespread, and indicated they were working on a fix but had no ETA for it. They put me on a list of people having the problem and promised an e-mail letting me know when it is resolved.
To follow up -- I have seen no problems since at least mid-week (3 days after the conversation referenced above).

On the other hand downdetector still seems to be getting plenty of reports in the same (Spectrum-heavy) geographic areas.

No sign of the promised e-mail either, so either the problem is still considered open on their end or that promise was empty. . .
JGM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1264 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Member
 
dlflannery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Englewood, Ohio
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I don't usually believe in conspiracies but maybe these cable companies are screwing with the internet when it comes to TV streaming services?
Or could it be the stampede of exiting PSVue customers overloading YTTV servers?
dlflannery is offline  
post #1265 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,748
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
... and AT&T customers ;-)
mdavej is online now  
post #1266 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
... and AT&T customers ;-)
I wish I was one of them but not till 5.1 comes to YTTV.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #1267 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlflannery View Post
Or could it be the stampede of exiting PSVue customers overloading YTTV servers?
Hopefully they will have it all worked by the time I move at the end of January...I’m getting my free month of PSVue dang it...LOL
m_snow likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1268 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I don't usually believe in conspiracies but maybe these cable companies are screwing with the internet when it comes to TV streaming services?
Black Friday/Early holiday shopping/People being home at not at work..Netflix ? Pick one, pick all. The internet is still the wild west in many ways, and sometime it just bogs down. Part of having a live streaming service/cloud dvrs is just rolling with the servers at the other end. Roll in all the internet of things devices too, things are going to have to be ramped more as more demands are put on the system.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
post #1269 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Hopefully they will have it all worked by the time I move at the end of January...I’m getting my free month of PSVue dang it...LOL
You should be fine then, December and early January will be the worst for internet traffic.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
post #1270 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,212
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Black Friday/Early holiday shopping/People being home at not at work..Netflix ? Pick one, pick all. The internet is still the wild west in many ways, and sometime it just bogs down. Part of having a live streaming service/cloud dvrs is just rolling with the servers at the other end. Roll in all the internet of things devices too, things are going to have to be ramped more as more demands are put on the system.
Bogs down for now until we get 5G going. Blazingly fast speeds and choice of service to break away from the cable companies internet service.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #1271 of 1295 Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Bogs down for now until we get 5G going. Blazingly fast speeds and choice of service to break away from the cable companies internet service.
And it won't be cheap, and fixed 5G doesn't penetrate buildings well. Many people will need an outdoor antennae to get to work, once again for renters it's a no go. Wait aaah low orbit satellites , still need an outdoor antennae. 5G isn't going to help a lot of people in urban areas. As usual it's the suburbs that get all the choice.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
post #1272 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,733
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
I can confirm that the 4K FireTV Stick isn't capable of 5.1 audio on select YTTV on demand comment as had been reported elsewhere. It puts the two-channel audio in a 5.1 wrapper, which may be the source of the confusion. Unfortunately, that also means you can't use your AVR to process the two-channel audio for surround sound. I tried every audio setting in the 4K stick (and my AVR) to no avail.

The good news is, the 4K Fire TV stick is much faster than my 2016 Roku Ultra and Premiere+, and if I connect it directly into my old Panny plasma, which only sends two-channel audio via optical to my AVR, I can process it for surround sound. The 4K stick's remote is even compatible with my AVR to control volume and mute (which I wasn't expecting). But the best feature of all is the voice remote that allows me to simply say "Skip Forward 3 minutes" at commercial breaks. I'm hoping more voice controls get added soon to the YTTV FireTV app.

The bad news is, I'll have to switch back to my Roku to watch any other streaming app (Netflix, Prime, etc.) if I want 5.1 DD+ audio. First World problems.
Zookster is offline  
post #1273 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Member
 
scottb8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Apple TV Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I’m sure you know this already but you can use any IR based remote with the ATV4K. I programmed our old DirecTV remote (which my wife was more comfortable with) and she uses it. You can skip through YTTV commercials by hitting the right directional button.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was trying to use multiple Apple TV remotes and only one can be paired at a time. How can you get other remotes to work with the Apple TV besides iPhones?
scottb8888 is offline  
post #1274 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,748
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb8888 View Post
I was trying to use multiple Apple TV remotes and only one can be paired at a time. How can you get other remotes to work with the Apple TV besides iPhones?
Any universal IR remote with ATV codes will control any Apple TV. There's really nothing to do besides pick the right code. With IR, there is no pairing involved.
m_snow likes this.
mdavej is online now  
post #1275 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 6,483
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I can confirm that the 4K FireTV Stick isn't capable of 5.1 audio on select YTTV on demand comment as had been reported elsewhere. It puts the two-channel audio in a 5.1 wrapper, which may be the source of the confusion. Unfortunately, that also means you can't use your AVR to process the two-channel audio for surround sound. I tried every audio setting in the 4K stick (and my AVR) to no avail.

The good news is, the 4K Fire TV stick is much faster than my 2016 Roku Ultra and Premiere+, and if I connect it directly into my old Panny plasma, which only sends two-channel audio via optical to my AVR, I can process it for surround sound. The 4K stick's remote is even compatible with my AVR to control volume and mute (which I wasn't expecting). But the best feature of all is the voice remote that allows me to simply say "Skip Forward 3 minutes" at commercial breaks. I'm hoping more voice controls get added soon to the YTTV FireTV app.

The bad news is, I'll have to switch back to my Roku to watch any other streaming app (Netflix, Prime, etc.) if I want 5.1 DD+ audio. First World problems.
True, we should be grateful that we don't have to haul water back to the village.
Zookster likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
post #1276 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,748
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
The bad news is, I'll have to switch back to my Roku to watch any other streaming app (Netflix, Prime, etc.) if I want 5.1 DD+ audio. First World problems.
Something is wrong with your setup. I've always gotten 5.1 DD+ on Netflix, etc. on Fire Stick. Is your stick plugged into your AVR or directly to your TV. If the latter, that's the problem. Your TV isn't passing through DD+ from its HDMI inputs (ARC?). You need to plug the stick directly into your AVR.
DanPackMan likes this.
mdavej is online now  
post #1277 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,733
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Something is wrong with your setup. I've always gotten 5.1 DD+ on Netflix, etc. on Fire Stick. Is your stick plugged into your AVR or directly to your TV. If the latter, that's the problem. Your TV isn't passing through DD+ from its HDMI inputs (ARC?). You need to plug the stick directly into your AVR.
Sorry if my explanation wasn't clear. The point I was trying to make is if I plug my 4K Stick into my TV, which passes 2-channel audio from YouTube TV in a way that can be processed for surround, then I won't get 5.1 DD/DD+ from other sources, meaning I'll need to switch to a different device to watch Netflix, Prime, etc. The 4K Stick works as normal for 5.1 sources when plugged directly into an AVR. But that's not why I bought it necessarily. I bought it for the improved YouTube TV experience (faster speed, voice command, etc.).

By the way, this is quite an oversight on Amazon's part with the 4K Stick even if you aren't watching a two-channel live TV app. Plenty of other apps, including regular YouTube, PBS, etc., are primarily two-channel. And even Netflix and Prime have content that's only two-channel (like an older documentary or comedy show). So if you are using it plugged into a AVR to get 5.1 DD+ audio for certain content, you'll be stuck with two-speaker stereo for everything else.

EDIT: There's actually a discussion on this in Amazon's community forums: Amazon 4k hdr fire tv is making all two channel audio into DD+ preventing surround sound processing

Last edited by Zookster; 12-02-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Zookster is offline  
post #1278 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,748
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
That makes more sense. However, I'm not seeing it on my Fire TV. If I get stereo, I can just push a button on my AVR remote to switch to PLII and another button to switch back to stereo. And DD or DD+ get passed through unmolested.
mdavej is online now  
post #1279 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,733
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That makes more sense. However, I'm not seeing it on my Fire TV. If I get stereo, I can just push a button on my AVR remote to switch to PLII and another button to switch back to stereo. And DD or DD+ get passed through unmolested.
It's a quirk of the 4K FireTV Stick, apparently. My 2nd-gen stick works as expected, passing a two-channel signal my AVR can process for surround. Unfortunately, the 2nd-gen stick isn't as fast, and its volume controls don't work with AVRs like the 4K Stick's do. I've also heard the 4K Stick is one of the 5.1 capable devices for regular Hulu (I don't subscribe ATM, so I can't test it).
mdavej likes this.
Zookster is offline  
post #1280 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,733
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
All CBS, CW, Smithsonian, and Pop recordings are no longer locked while there's a VOD version available. I've just confirmed that my CBS and CW recordings are unlocked. Here's the announcement on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YouTubeTV/status...47444863438849

Good times!
brotony likes this.
Zookster is offline  
post #1281 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
All CBS, CW, Smithsonian, and Pop recordings are no longer locked while there's a VOD version available. I've just confirmed that my CBS and CW recordings are unlocked. Here's the announcement on Twitter: https://twitter.com/YouTubeTV/status...47444863438849



Good times!


This is great! Thanks for sharing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zookster likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #1282 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,733
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
There's also news of a three-week trial today.
Ph8te and m_snow like this.
Zookster is offline  
post #1283 of 1295 Old 12-02-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,534
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
There's also news of a three-week trial today.


Three months of YouTube Premium is also available if you have an account that hasn’t used a promo before.
Ph8te is online now  
post #1284 of 1295 Old 12-03-2019, 07:24 AM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Anyone have the odd stuttering issue with YTTV on occasion? It usually occurs during the NFL games on CBS. It's not my connection as i am hardwired in on 1gbps. This is on ATV.

The fix is to close the app and restart it.
ChicagoChris is offline  
post #1285 of 1295 Old 12-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Three months of YouTube Premium is also available if you have an account that hasn’t used a promo before.

I used a promo in the past, so I only get one month YTPrem. trial. Why can't they (YT) use their account data to only send this promo e-mail to people who are eligible?
Tfid is offline  
post #1286 of 1295 Old 12-05-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I used a promo in the past, so I only get one month YTPrem. trial. Why can't they (YT) use their account data to only send this promo e-mail to people who are eligible?
I don’t think I used any promo in the past but not sure. Is their some way to tell? I don’t want to sign up for a trial yet if I can’t get the 3 weeks.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1287 of 1295 Old 12-05-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
I don’t think I used any promo in the past but not sure. Is their some way to tell? I don’t want to sign up for a trial yet if I can’t get the 3 weeks.
Never mind, it’s only the YTpremium 3 month promo that is the question and I don’t care about that...

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #1288 of 1295 Old 12-05-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Patsfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Randolph, MA
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Anyone have the odd stuttering issue with YTTV on occasion? It usually occurs during the NFL games on CBS. It's not my connection as i am hardwired in on 1gbps. This is on ATV.

The fix is to close the app and restart it.
Can you describe it more? It could be an issue with your local affiliate since CBS will be different for every market.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
Patsfan123 is offline  
post #1289 of 1295 Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Member
 
dlflannery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Englewood, Ohio
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone else start seeing that some recent YTTV recordings simply won't play, just a spinning circle forever? This started last night on my Cube, Gen 1, and happened again this morning on a different show. Last night's show finally was able to play this morning, i.e. 12 hours after being recorded. These same recordings played fine on my iPad from the start.

Other recordings, live and VOD play OK on my Cube.

I've chatted with YTTV support and they have escalated it. Just wondered if anyone else is seeing this. BTW, they already had me restart everything, verified software versions, re-installed app, and checked internet speed (so no need to suggest those).
dlflannery is offline  
post #1290 of 1295 Old 12-06-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,748
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3117 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
I only have one recording made since yesterday. It played fine on my Fire TV. I haven't had any other problems with playback.
mdavej is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off