Youtube TV streaming service - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 541Likes

post #1621 of 1677 Old 02-08-2020, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Is there anyway to check the info of a show using the ATV remote? Like with the corded guys, you simply hit the info button to get a quick synopsis of a given show.
Their are different ways depending on what you are doing and what part of the UI you are using. For one example, if you are watching a live show, click down twice then highlight the “+” and you will see a synopsis of the show you are currently watching. If you want more info highlight and click on “MORE INFO” then on the next screen highlight “ABOUT”.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1677 Old 02-08-2020, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
It for sure operates a bit differently. I for one don’t miss any of the 100 channels on directv that has crap on them 24/7 that no one cares about or ever watches.

For recorded programs you can skip commercials just like it and for on demand content you mostly can’t just like current directv. At least they give us an ad timer for YouTube TV. It’s very easy to skip commercials on DVR stuff on the Apple TV you literally just drag and seek via the touch pad on the remote. If you’re limited to 10-15 second chunks it’s because of the device your streaming on and not the service itself.

There’s pros and cons to all services pretty much. By far the biggest con with directv is price and weather related signal issues. The biggest con with YouTube TV so far for me is that it consumes data if you leave it on like we do. Fortunately our ISP soft cap is 5TB per month. Biggest pro of directv for me is it’s easier to get per episode information and things of that nature. Biggest pro of YouTube TV is it saves me a bundle and pretty much has all the same features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Just for reference for others reading this. You can do the video "scrub" on just about any streaming device that runs YTTV (and you don't need to use the Apple remote even on the ATV 4k to do it). We use Harmony Elite remotes and all you need to do is press and hold down the left/right direction on the d-pad to "scrub" REW/FF. It is very accurate and stops as soon as you release the key. At least it works that way with YTTV on all the streaming devices we run the YTTV app on - FireTV (various types), ATV 4k, and Nvidia Shield (don't know about Roku as we don't do Roku).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Will look into this today on the Roku Ultra.. This of course would be for recorded shows only (not released ie vod)?
Thanks, Gerry
I can't recall which device I was using? Maybe it doesn't matter but commercial skip I preferred while doing the 3 week YTTV trial last December was using a right directional arrow with Harmony or Roku remote. Watching the small pop-up box, each click would advance the content (without playing- maybe I paused or clicked select first?) and just continue clicking forward until I saw my show's resumption point. Click too far forward? Click back left until frame in pop-up is just before the show resuming (no playback going on, just watching the pop-up box). So no ad dialogue or distractions. Not so time consuming either compared to jumping around with less precision.

A small learning curve. But like riding a bike; I had this, likely I can pick it up again. Back on DirecTV until my discounts expire- likely April now- due to billing errors corrected for next statement. New retention tactic? Neither bill was high.

I'm missing that type of commercial skip with my DirecTV HR54 and no more native mode. Sure I can skip 30 seconds at a time (30skip is a search in DirecTV DVR that slips, not slips) but still there's the playback resumption each skip. Stack skips; it's less annoying. Count em and it's guess work; somewhat annoying- skip back jumps are very small, requiring more. But the skips with YTTV were more precise at landing at and less guesswork.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #1623 of 1677 Old 02-08-2020, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 7448 Post(s)
Liked: 16928
Quote:
Their are different ways depending on what you are doing and what part of the UI you are using. For one example, if you are watching a live show, click down twice then highlight the “+” and you will see a synopsis of the show you are currently watching. If you want more info highlight and click on “MORE INFO” then on the next screen highlight “ABOUT”.
Say if I'm scrolling thru the guide and I see, for example, Triple D is on the Food Network. Is there a way I can highlight that and get a quick synopsis of what the episode is about without actually having to click on the channel?

Also, is there a way to set up a recording for first run shows only? I don't need everything from season 1 I've already seen. Just want the new shows.

Advertisement

post #1624 of 1677 Old 02-09-2020, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Say if I'm scrolling thru the guide and I see, for example, Triple D is on the Food Network. Is there a way I can highlight that and get a quick synopsis of what the episode is about without actually having to click on the channel?

Also, is there a way to set up a recording for first run shows only? I don't need everything from season 1 I've already seen. Just want the new shows.

There is not a way, from the live guide, to click and get info on live programs. You can click on future programs and bring up info. For live, you must select then read info from down-arrow menu.

There is no option for only first run episodes. Personally, I'd like to at least see a toggle for showing 'DVR only' in the library.
post #1625 of 1677 Old 02-09-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Regarding recording only new shows, you just have to get used to a new paradigm. Well, actually not new. It's just like Netflix or regular Hulu in which any shows in your queue or library include all the episodes. YouTube TV tracks which ones are new and highlights the show in the New category in your library.
What I dislike about recordings is that if I happen to miss the first episodes of a new show, then add the show to my library, only future episodes appear in my library. There is no way I can watch past episodes that I missed.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #1626 of 1677 Old 02-09-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 2053
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
What I dislike about recordings is that if I happen to miss the first episodes of a new show, then add the show to my library, only future episodes appear in my library. There is no way I can watch past episodes that I missed.
If it's just the first episode or two, when you add a new show to your library, you should see the on-demand version listed. And of course if the first episode you missed re-airs it will be recorded.
m_snow likes this.
post #1627 of 1677 Old 02-09-2020, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3194 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
This is not my experience at all. I get the on-demand version or a recording if it airs again.

Is there some other DVR that can record things that aired in the past?
post #1628 of 1677 Old 02-09-2020, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
This is not my experience at all. I get the on-demand version or a recording if it airs again.

Is there some other DVR that can record things that aired in the past?

My experience with new shows is that recently aired episodes typically show up as VOD, but for older series with multiple seasons, its hit or miss what will show as VOD. I suppose it depends on the content owners calling the shots.

You can only 'save' things that will be showed live. If repeat episodes are aired, they'll show as DVR.
post #1629 of 1677 Old 02-10-2020, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For some odd reason, today when I view YTTV using my laptop and the Chrome or FIrefox browsers, my Live Guide is only showing a fraction of the channels that I usually see. Anyone else experience this issue?
post #1630 of 1677 Old 02-10-2020, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
For some odd reason, today when I view YTTV using my laptop and the Chrome or FIrefox browsers, my Live Guide is only showing a fraction of the channels that I usually see. Anyone else experience this issue?
I'm not seeing my locals the rest seem to be there.
post #1631 of 1677 Old 02-10-2020, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I see that periodically on my ROKU. Either reboot the device (clears cache) and/or log out of YTTV and log back in. At least that works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
post #1632 of 1677 Old 02-10-2020, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm only seeing 18 channels in my Live guide on Chrome and the YTTV Windows app. Weird. Normal on Roku.
post #1633 of 1677 Old 02-11-2020, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 7448 Post(s)
Liked: 16928
Since we use Comcast internet we're eligible for their new and free (which is a rarity with Comcast) Flex streaming box. Anyone here have any experience or opinions on it? Not sure if it's worth the hassle. Then again, free...

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/flex?pc=1

post #1634 of 1677 Old 02-11-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Does YTTV provide the CW affiliate in most markets or does it depend on who in that market owns the affiliate? In Phoenix, they don't seem to offer the CW affiliate (channel 61 - KASW), but they do provide some of the shows as VoD.
post #1635 of 1677 Old 02-11-2020, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3194 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Anecdotal evidence is that they offer CW on demand in most markets, but live affiliate in very few. I haven't figured out how ownership factors in.
post #1636 of 1677 Old 02-11-2020, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm pretty sure YouTube TV offers CW on demand in every market, which gives you all the current prime-time shows, though usually just the last four or five episodes. Otherwise, it's pretty hit-and-miss as to whether YouTube TV will carry your local CW affiliate. There really wasn't much advantage to having my local CW affiliate until YouTube TV finally lifted the lock on recordings when a VOD version is available.
post #1637 of 1677 Old 02-13-2020, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Stiil no PBS channel in Jacksonville,Fl. I tried to call the station,but no one seem to know anything.
post #1638 of 1677 Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Anyone notice slight hiccups in the video on FoxSports North and Big Ten Network. It happens only on these two channels, on multiple Roku devices and Chromecast so I don't think it is hardware or network on my end. It occurs about every 10 seconds, almost like a dropped frame but the stats show no drops.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #1639 of 1677 Old 02-15-2020, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5638 Post(s)
Liked: 4049
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Anyone notice slight hiccups in the video on FoxSports North and Big Ten Network. It happens only on these two channels, on multiple Roku devices and Chromecast so I don't think it is hardware or network on my end. It occurs about every 10 seconds, almost like a dropped frame but the stats show no drops.

I see no hiccups on my ATV4K or my Amazon Fire Cube 2 with those 2 channels via YTTV.
post #1640 of 1677 Old 02-16-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I see no hiccups on my ATV4K or my Amazon Fire Cube 2 with those 2 channels via YTTV.
Interesting. I'll check FS1 today when watching a game but pretty sure it happens on that channel as well. Essentially all of the FS related channels.

It is very slight but one of those things where once you see it you can't unsee it. :-) And this has been going on since Dec. I send a report every time I'm watching a game but zero response so far.
post #1641 of 1677 Old 02-16-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. I'll check FS1 today when watching a game but pretty sure it happens on that channel as well. Essentially all of the FS related channels.

It is very slight but one of those things where once you see it you can't unsee it. :-) And this has been going on since Dec. I send a report every time I'm watching a game but zero response so far.
It is happening on FS1 as expected. Has to be something with the fees for the fox sports channels. It does not happen on the regular FOX channel.

post #1642 of 1677 Old 02-16-2020, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
It is happening on FS1 as expected. Has to be something with the fees for the fox sports channels. It does not happen on the regular FOX channel.

No issues here with FS1.

post #1643 of 1677 Old 02-16-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No issues here with FS1.

Very odd. Watch super close.

I don't see how this can be anything on my end. Happens on 3 TVs, two with Roku ultras, 1 Roku TV, and also Chromecast on one of the TVs. Only these 3 channels.

post #1644 of 1677 Old 02-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Youtube TV streaming service

Quote:
Very odd. Watch super close.

I don't see how this can be anything on my end. Happens on 3 TVs, two with Roku ultras, 1 Roku TV, and also Chromecast on one of the TVs. Only these 3 channels.

Not sure if FS1 is regional or not but if it is it could be your region’s broadcast at fault. If YouTube TV has different servers which seems likely it could be the one you’re connected to. I’ve had it on for the past 10 min or so (Iowa at Minnesota) and its nice and smooth. I’m watching via Apple TV 4K. Perhaps it’s possible the issue is with the app on all those devices and for whatever reason the Apple TV app is fine.

Either way seems you’ll have to reach out to YouTube TV since you’re sure it’s not on your end anywhere.

post #1645 of 1677 Old 02-16-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure if FS1 is regional or not but if it is it could be your region’s broadcast at fault. If YouTube TV has different servers which seems likely it could be the one you’re connected to. I’ve had it on for the past 10 min or so (Iowa at Minnesota) and its nice and smooth. I’m watching via Apple TV 4K. Perhaps it’s possible the issue is with the app on all those devices and for whatever reason the Apple TV app is fine.

Either way seems you’ll have to reach out to YouTube TV since you’re sure it’s not on your end anywhere.

Thanks for checking. Hopefully someone with one of the same devices can check.

post #1646 of 1677 Old 02-16-2020, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5638 Post(s)
Liked: 4049
Quote:
Thanks for checking. Hopefully someone with one of the same devices can check.

Try watching the same shows via the fox sports app and fox sports go app on your roku. Download them on your roku and log in with your YTTV credentials. Generally the feed via those apps are better than watching via the YTTV app.
primetimeguy likes this.
post #1647 of 1677 Old 02-16-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Try watching the same shows via the fox sports app and fox sports go app on your roku. Download them on your roku and log in with your YTTV credentials. Generally the feed via those apps are better than watching via the YTTV app.
Great idea and I just tried that. No issues with fox sports app. Now I have some more info to pass along to support. Thanks for the suggestion.

post #1648 of 1677 Old 02-17-2020, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have a question that I haven't seen on here or tried before. Been with YTTV for 2 years.

Today I read on the "Hot of the Press" in the HDTV threads, that there is a new series, What's Eating America With Andrew Zimmern on MSNBC on Sunday nights. I don't have MSNBC in my custom guide, so I go in, add it, search for the series and add to my Library. It shows last nights recording, and able to watch, (on demand version).

Then I went in and removed MSNBC, from my custom guide. The recording still there, and the check mark that shows its set to record is still there, (not X).

So my question is, do you need to have a channel in your guide to be able to record from that channel? Seems to me, you don't.

Dave

Sharp Aquos LC-70C6400U Marantz SR-7009 Marantz MM-7025 Audio Technica AT-LP60SPBT-BK Polk Monitor 70 fronts, Monitor 50 Rears, CS2 Center HTD HD-R80 Top center (X2) HTD HD-W80 Tops (X6) Sunfire HRS-10 Yamaha YST-SW215
post #1649 of 1677 Old 02-17-2020, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First Other User Login

Quote:
One additional clarification. 1 user can be logged into as many devices as they want. For instance, my ID is logged into over 15 devices (mostly streaming devices but also a iPhone, iPad, and a PC). You can only start up a live stream on up to 3 of them though.
An additional question on Other Users...

My son and daughter live in San Diego. Can I create one of them as a new user here in AZ on a different computer (avoiding cookie) so that they can use in San Diego (subject to the 6 month limitation), without bringing one of their devices here?

Thanks
post #1650 of 1677 Old 02-17-2020, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGR32276 View Post
I have a question that I haven't seen on here or tried before. Been with YTTV for 2 years.

Today I read on the "Hot of the Press" in the HDTV threads, that there is a new series, What's Eating America With Andrew Zimmern on MSNBC on Sunday nights. I don't have MSNBC in my custom guide, so I go in, add it, search for the series and add to my Library. It shows last nights recording, and able to watch, (on demand version).

Then I went in and removed MSNBC, from my custom guide. The recording still there, and the check mark that shows its set to record is still there, (not X).

So my question is, do you need to have a channel in your guide to be able to record from that channel? Seems to me, you don't.

Dave

Your custom guide won't restrict recording, those channels will still be available on your standard guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page