Youtube TV streaming service - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 810Likes

post #1921 of 2219 Old 05-21-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 91
We made use of CBS All Access to watch Picard. Paid for a month - couldn't binge watch it all at once. I guess "Peacock" is NBC's version of CBS's pay channel. Can't think of anything we've watched on NBC except Blacklist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2219 Old 05-22-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7795 Post(s)
Liked: 17696
Every now and then I ask YTTV when they will get 5.1 audio. They always reply with a general “thanks for asking we don’t have any info on 5.1 surround.” They suggested this; “you can share your in-app suggestions by tapping your profile icon > Send feedback. This will help us prioritize requests and improve your experience.” Since they’re prioritizing maybe if we submit enough requests for 5.1 audio the fire will get lit.

post #1923 of 2219 Old 05-22-2020, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Every now and then I ask YTTV when they will get 5.1 audio. They always reply with a general “thanks for asking we don’t have any info on 5.1 surround.” They suggested this; “you can share your in-app suggestions by tapping your profile icon > Send feedback. This will help us prioritize requests and improve your experience.” Since they’re prioritizing maybe if we submit enough requests for 5.1 audio the fire will get lit.
I asked them several times through Twitter and they always give that same response they gave you. They did say though that when they add it they will let every know they are adding it. Whatever that means.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Zookster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 2219 Old 05-22-2020, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
I should provide feedback to make sure YouTube TV knows that while enjoying their extended free trials for premiums (like Showtime last summer and Epix last month), when I actually subscribe and pay cash money for those services, I do so through Amazon Channels or the service's Roku app in order to get 5.1 audio. I certainly would never sub to HBO Max through YTTV. The live HBO channels are worthless to me without 5.1 audio.
post #1925 of 2219 Old 05-22-2020, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7795 Post(s)
Liked: 17696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I asked them several times through Twitter and they always give that same response they gave you. They did say though that when they add it they will let every know they are adding it. Whatever that means.

Still puzzles me how a global tech giant only offers antiquated 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I should provide feedback to make sure YouTube TV knows that while enjoying their extended free trials for premiums (like Showtime last summer and Epix last month), when I actually subscribe and pay cash money for those services, I do so through Amazon Channels or the service's Roku app in order to get 5.1 audio. I certainly would never sub to HBO Max through YTTV. The live HBO channels are worthless to me without 5.1 audio.
Do you find it more beneficial to subscribe thru Amazon vs the channels directly?

For example you can subscribe directly thru HBOMax and get a deal for the first year.

https://www.hbomax.com
scottb8888 and Hetfieldjames like this.

Last edited by Waboman; 05-22-2020 at 08:58 PM.
post #1926 of 2219 Old 05-22-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Still puzzles me how a global tech giant only offers antiquated 2.0.

Do you find it more beneficial to subscribe thru Amazon vs the channels directly?
Yeah me too, exactly. It really boggles my mind. They should know the importance of this feature more than most.

scottb8888 likes this.
post #1927 of 2219 Old 05-23-2020, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I rarely watch movies on TV cap because there are no conditions. So I often watch movies on the internet
post #1928 of 2219 Old 05-23-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 2422
Quote:

It depends on the service and the deal I can get. I don't mind hopping around to take advantage of a free month offer I can get from Amazon, the Roku Channel, or directly through the service's app/website. However, in the case of Epix, the Roku app doesn't offer 5.1 audio, so I go to Amazon for that. I'm about to sign up for a free month of Showtime, but I'll go through Amazon, because last summer when I used the Showtime Anytime app (in conjunction with 3 free months I got through YTTV), I had numerous issues that never got resolved after contacting Showtime's tech support multiple times. On the flip side, the Prime Video app just got a much-needed upgrade on Roku, which resolved some minor issues I had with it. For Starz, I'm constantly getting good deals directly from Starz, so I'll use their app for that (which works fine for me).

Quote:
For example you can subscribe directly thru HBOMax and get a deal for the first year.

https://www.hbomax.com
A few months ago, I took advantage of a deal for HBO ($10/mo for 3 months) through Amazon Channels. Now that the deal has expired, I'll wait until I can get a free month somewhere for HBO Max. I've honestly run out of stuff I want to watch on HBO, so I won't be taking advantage of the current $11.99/mo deal directly through HBO Max.
post #1929 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I'm trying to find more information about this issue I'm having - but only found one unresolved Reddit thread.

I'm using the YTTV app on my Sony A9G. I have no issues with picture quality with the exception of a horizontal static line that sometimes flashes at the very top right of the screen. It can completely ruin the viewing experience. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it happens occasionally, and sometimes it happens constantly. While watching something, at the very top right of the screen, there's a quick static-like white line that flashes for a split second and then will do it again repeatedly at unexpected times. It's incredibly annoying.

I reached out to customer support, but they aren't really much help about what could be causing it. I just get the usual troubleshooting steps. Restart the TV. Make sure you have the latest firmware. Uninstall and reinstall the app. Nothing seems to help.

Has anyone else experienced this before? If I can't get it resolved, I don't feel the service is worth the cost.

- Sony 65A9G OLED
- Panasonic UB-820 4K BD Player/Apple 4K TV
- Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 AVR/Outlaw Model 5000 AMP
- SVS Prime Towers (2)/Prime Center/SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer 12"
- Polk MC80 In-Ceiling 8" Speakers (2)
post #1930 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I'm trying to find more information about this issue I'm having - but only found one unresolved Reddit thread.

I'm using the YTTV app on my Sony A9G. I have no issues with picture quality with the exception of a horizontal static line that sometimes flashes at the very top right of the screen. It can completely ruin the viewing experience. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it happens occasionally, and sometimes it happens constantly. While watching something, at the very top right of the screen, there's a quick static-like white line that flashes for a split second and then will do it again repeatedly at unexpected times. It's incredibly annoying.

I reached out to customer support, but they aren't really much help about what could be causing it. I just get the usual troubleshooting steps. Restart the TV. Make sure you have the latest firmware. Uninstall and reinstall the app. Nothing seems to help.

Has anyone else experienced this before? If I can't get it resolved, I don't feel the service is worth the cost.

I usually run YTTV on the ATV4K or Nvidia Shield but I just tried it again on my Sony 930E. I haven’t had that issue on any device but it does sound like a TV issue which might be why the troubleshooting went in that direction but who knows.
It doesn’t sound like an app or service issue though. Never heard of that in this thread before now. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1931 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I usually run YTTV on the ATV4K or Nvidia Shield but I just tried it again on my Sony 930E. I haven’t had that issue on any device but it does sound like a TV issue which might be why the troubleshooting went in that direction but who knows.
It doesn’t sound like an app or service issue though. Never heard of that in this thread before now. Good luck.

Yeah, I suppose I could just get a separate streaming device, but the Netflix and Amazon apps work perfectly fine on the TV. As do most apps. I see no reason to drop a few hundred dollars just for one app. But I hope it's not the TV itself, because if it's a software bug connected to the TV then it will never get resolved.

- Sony 65A9G OLED
post #1932 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose I could just get a separate streaming device, but the Netflix and Amazon apps work perfectly fine on the TV. As do most apps. I see no reason to drop a few hundred dollars just for one app. But I hope it's not the TV itself, because if it's a software bug connected to the TV then it will never get resolved.

There’s a “Feedback” link under you profile on the app. It would make sense to let YT know about this in any case. I agree it’s not worth buying another streaming device just for one app. If it’s the TV maybe a Sony update would fix it or you could go the “reset” option. Write down your picture settings first.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1933 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:

Possibly station related and even momentary? TV picture sizing set to "fit to screen" or maybe Sony calls this something similar like pixel 1 to 1 ratio, do you have this enabled? Personally I think it's best to use this feature but you may find exceptions where you see those lines.

It's annoying but sometimes I can't use fit to screen or 1:1 pixel ratio. Maybe it's your TV settings that can push the screen left, right, up down to adjust. However, I just saw a series of lines top of my screen on Fox local feed through Hulu Live TV. Watch the news and see breaks and whole segments with a line at top.

Ultimately, overscan setting could avoid it altogether. But in the digital age, this shouldn't be necessary if TV is setup and everyone else does their part. That's not always the case. Enabling overscan would be turning off the pixel 1:1 ratio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixe...o#Introduction

post #1934 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Possibly station related and even momentary? TV picture sizing set to "fit to screen" or maybe Sony calls this something similar like pixel 1 to 1 ratio, do you have this enabled? Personally I think it's best to use this feature but you may find exceptions where you see those lines.

It's annoying but sometimes I can't use fit to screen or 1:1 pixel ratio. Maybe it's your TV settings that can push the screen left, right, up down to adjust. However, I just saw a series of lines top of my screen on Fox local feed through Hulu Live TV. Watch the news and see breaks and whole segments with a line at top.

Ultimately, overscan setting could avoid it altogether. But in the digital age, this shouldn't be necessary if TV is setup and everyone else does their part. That's not always the case. Enabling overscan would be turning off the pixel 1:1 ratio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixe...o#Introduction

Pic adjust is locked on the Sony. It has always been locked, or else I would have made an adjustment.

If I mirror YTTV on my iPhone, the static flashes are gone. But mirroring has its own bugginess. I think it’s an issue with the Android TV app. Here is an example. These are quick flashes.

- Sony 65A9G OLED
post #1935 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Pic adjust is locked on the Sony. It has always been locked, or else I would have made an adjustment.

If I mirror YTTV on my iPhone, the static flashes are gone. But mirroring has its own bugginess. I think it’s an issue with the Android TV app. Here is an example. These are quick flashes.

Locked? I'm not familiar with Sony. Does that mean you're using overscan or 1:1 pixel ratio? Shouldn't see it with overscan enabled.

That snapshot? Letterbox? That shouldn't be there. YouTube TV support should take a look at that, IMO.

post #1936 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Locked? I'm not familiar with Sony. Does that mean you're using overscan or 1:1 pixel ratio? Shouldn't see it with overscan enabled.

That snapshot? Letterbox? That shouldn't be there. YouTube TV support should take a look at that, IMO.

It was a golf channel old golf game. I only showed it on that channel because it makes it easier to see versus a full screen channel. It’s still there though.

- Sony 65A9G OLED
post #1937 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that does look like a screen position problem (Settings/Picture & Display) mines locked too. It keeps switching to HDMI2 on mine but from the screenshot it looks like it’s low.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
post #1938 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It was a golf channel old golf game. I only showed it on that channel because it makes it easier to see versus a full screen channel. It’s still there though.

That may be the reason. 4:3 format and prior to digital broadcasting age. I had hopes those raster lines would be behind us going forward. Not nope. See it rarely though.

post #1939 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That may be the reason. 4:3 format and prior to digital broadcasting age. I had hopes those raster lines would be behind us going forward. Not nope. See it rarely though.

But it does not happen if I use YTTV on my phone. 4:3 often does funny stuff, even on OTA I remember - but that flashing static line is present on an ESPN HD broadcast, NBC, or pretty much anything and everything.

- Sony 65A9G OLED
post #1940 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But it does not happen if I use YTTV on my phone. 4:3 often does funny stuff, even on OTA I remember - but that flashing static line is present on an ESPN HD broadcast, NBC, or pretty much anything and everything.

If you could move it up just about a pixel or two.

Mike
post #1941 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you could move it up just about a pixel or two.

Pic adjustments are locked on the Sony while using apps. Someone suggested turning off the pixel shift, but that didn’t help either.

Some channels seem to do it more frequently than others. I am in communications with Google, but I don’t see myself getting anywhere because research has showed me that this issue is not common enough to really concern them.

I uploaded a video to YouTube - this was on CBS during Titanic.

- Sony 65A9G OLED

Last edited by alettiere; 05-24-2020 at 06:22 PM.
post #1942 of 2219 Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Have had YTTV almost 3 years. Never a problem streaming to 2 diff. Panny Plasmas, a Vizio via Chromecast or Roku. No trouble using PC connected to a 24" HP monitor.
post #1943 of 2219 Old 05-25-2020, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pic adjustments are locked on the Sony while using apps. Someone suggested turning off the pixel shift, but that didn’t help either.

Some channels seem to do it more frequently than others. I am in communications with Google, but I don’t see myself getting anywhere because research has showed me that this issue is not common enough to really concern them.

I uploaded a video to YouTube - this was on CBS during Titanic.

https://youtu.be/JZ4PUvhhg_A

How come the video is labeled “Apple TV on A9G? I thought you were running YTTV on the A9G directly.

Mike
post #1944 of 2219 Old 05-25-2020, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How come the video is labeled “Apple TV on A9G? I thought you were running YTTV on the A9G directly.

It's the native app. I just made a typo. Fixed.
m_snow likes this.

- Sony 65A9G OLED
post #1945 of 2219 Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I asked them again, I actually pleaded with them, I basically groveled to them to add 5.1 sound so I can leave AT&T TV Now. I'm gonna do this once a week till they hate me or bar me from even becoming a customer. 1 of the 3 is gonna happen, hate me, bar me from being a customer or add 5.1 sound. Maybe all 3.

post #1946 of 2219 Old 05-25-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Honest, I'm not trying to be snarky nor stir up a controversy here.

I made the switch from DirecTV more than 2 years ago, after 22 years. In my main viewing room I've got a 5.2 setup. In the bedrooms I just rely on the TV for sound.

First thought is when using the TV for sound, I can't understand at all how 5.1 output through the TV speakers is any different than 2.0 from YTTV.

Second is when using an AVR, what is there on YTTV where you'll actually notice a huge difference when the AVR simulates 5.X for you??? I'll be the first to admit I'm no audiophile but I don't really notice any difference. I've heard some say there's more surround effect for live sports and I've switched back and forth between OTA and YTTV to experience it. I can at times hear more "stadium noises" but frankly find it more annoying than enjoyable and not sure if I'm hearing because I believe I should or not

Again, I'm just curious and want to understand exactly what folks think 5.1 is going to give them given the actual content being carried. I'm not trying to diminish you're desire to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Well I asked them again, I actually pleaded with them, I basically groveled to them to add 5.1 sound so I can leave AT&T TV Now. I'm gonna do this once a week till they hate me or bar me from even becoming a customer. 1 of the 3 is gonna happen, hate me, bar me from being a customer or add 5.1 sound. Maybe all 3.

post #1947 of 2219 Old 05-25-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

I made the switch from DirecTV more than 2 years ago, after 22 years. In my main viewing room I've got a 5.2 setup. In the bedrooms I just rely on the TV for sound.

First thought is when using the TV for sound, I can't understand at all how 5.1 output through the TV speakers is any different than 2.0 from YTTV.

Second is when using an AVR, what is there on YTTV where you'll actually notice a huge difference when the AVR simulates 5.X for you??? I'll be the first to admit I'm no audiophile but I don't really notice any diference. I've heard some say there's more surround effect for live sports and I've switch back and forth between OTA and YTTV to experience it. I can at times here more "stadium noises" but frankly find it more annoying than enjoyable.

Again, I'm just curious and want to understand exactly what folks think 5.1 is going to give them given the actual content being carried. I'm not trying to diminish you're desire to have it.
I don't use TV speakers and haven't for 25 years. Sound goes through my home theater system. Who in God's name use TV speakers anymore and why? 5.1 is an enormous deal, enormous. They are one there moist technological companies in the world and they are still farting around with sound from the 80s.

post #1948 of 2219 Old 05-25-2020, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Roku devices are as low as $20, if you wanted to buy something to test with. If it's not a problem on your phone, it really seems to be an issue with the TV or the TV's app - probably the latter.
post #1949 of 2219 Old 05-25-2020, 08:34 AM
JGM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Second is when using an AVR, what is there on YTTV where you'll actually notice a huge difference when the AVR simulates 5.X for you??? I'll be the first to admit I'm no audiophile but I don't really notice any difference. I've heard some say there's more surround effect for live sports and I've switched back and forth between OTA and YTTV to experience it. I can at times hear more "stadium noises" but frankly find it more annoying than enjoyable and not sure if I'm hearing because I believe I should or not

It's all reasonable to question.

Actually for TV speakers (or a stereo soundbar or receiver setup) 2.0 sound coming in is theoretically better than 5.1 as there is one less conversion step to be done in the chain. (I must suggest that you consider at least a soundbar for the bedroom sets, however, as current TV speakers are so terrible. I guarantee if you make that leap you'll wish you had done it sooner.)

Your second point is basically a re-visiting of the 20+ year-old-discussions on the relative merits of "matrix" (e.g. early Dolby) 2-channel encoded surround vs. discrete (5.1 etc.) surround. Of course there are some scenarios where 5.1 has benefits -- 2.0 can't carry "directional" surround, for example, and frequencies can be limited. Some program mixes make great use of full-range directional surround setups, and if the signal is available and you have the equipment there's no reason not to use a muilti-channel signal. However it's also true that there are several layers of diminishing returns or "80/20" rules in play there and, as you note, for things like live sports or casual TV watching (which is, after all, the whole point of YTTV) the ambient surround provided by a receiver is more than fine.
rakstr likes this.
post #1950 of 2219 Old 05-25-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Ya, I get all the technical discussion and I know improvements can be made but my question was slightly different.

Given how people actually watch things and given the actual content broadcast, what precisely do people think they're missing out on to make it so important. Again, we all have our wants and needs and I'm not attacking them.

I just don't personally see that there will be any huge difference in listening in "real world" use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
It's all reasonable to question.

Actually for TV speakers (or a stereo soundbar or receiver setup) 2.0 sound coming in is theoretically better than 5.1 as there is one less conversion step to be done in the chain. (I must suggest that you consider at least a soundbar for the bedroom sets, however, as current TV speakers are so terrible. I guarantee if you make that leap you'll wish you had done it sooner.)

Your second point is basically a re-visiting of the 20+ year-old-discussions on the relative merits of "matrix" (e.g. early Dolby) 2-channel encoded surround vs. discrete (5.1 etc.) surround. Of course there are some scenarios where 5.1 has benefits -- 2.0 can't carry "directional" surround, for example, and frequencies can be limited. Some program mixes make great use of full-range directional surround setups, and if the signal is available and you have the equipment there's no reason not to use a muilti-channel signal. However it's also true that there are several layers of diminishing returns or "80/20" rules in play there and, as you note, for things like live sports or casual TV watching (which is, after all, the whole point of YTTV) the ambient surround provided by a receiver is more than fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page