Youtube TV streaming service - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 341Likes

post #181 of 1068 Old 06-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Hi everyone. New to YouTube TV & like it very much so far. I'd like to play it on my 2015 Samsung UHD but there isn't an app for that year's model yet & I'm beginning to think it there never will be one. So, I purchased an nVidia Shield (2017) & have been using that. But, I do have questions & need other users support.

My internet service is connected to a wired router & is a newer type of DSL which is 25mbs. This service speed does fluctuate sometimes into the low teens but that's rare. But, even when my PC says it's at 20+mbs, the YouTube TV "for nerds" info is usually reads speeds capped at 12-13mbs. The picture is okay at that rate but every now & then the internet speed dips 8-10mbs to below & the YouTube TV "for nerds" reads 1 mbs or less. The picture falls to low quality SD at best. I usually have to reboot the Shield to get it to reset. The oddest thing is I have YouTube & YouTube TV on my PC & the "for nerds" speeds are a solid 20-22mbs & I can even stream UHD video.

So, why would the YouTube TV "for nerds" indicate speeds be lower than what the actual internet speeds are? Perhaps so setting within the Shield? Thanks!

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1068 Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
Hi everyone. New to YouTube TV & like it very much so far. I'd like to play it on my 2015 Samsung UHD but there isn't an app for that year's model yet & I'm beginning to think it there never will be one. So, I purchased an nVidia Shield (2017) & have been using that. But, I do have questions & need other users support.

My internet service is connected to a wired router & is a newer type of DSL which is 25mbs. This service speed does fluctuate sometimes into the low teens but that's rare. But, even when my PC says it's at 20+mbs, the YouTube TV "for nerds" info is usually reads speeds capped at 12-13mbs. The picture is okay at that rate but every now & then the internet speed dips 8-10mbs to below & the YouTube TV "for nerds" reads 1 mbs or less. The picture falls to low quality SD at best. I usually have to reboot the Shield to get it to reset. The oddest thing is I have YouTube & YouTube TV on my PC & the "for nerds" speeds are a solid 20-22mbs & I can even stream UHD video.

So, why would the YouTube TV "for nerds" indicate speeds be lower than what the actual internet speeds are? Perhaps so setting within the Shield? Thanks!

You’ll get the best performance with a wired (Ethernet) connection. There’s little if any fluctuation.
The stats for nerds may be measuring the speed from their server to your Shield not to your ISP. Try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #183 of 1068 Old 06-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
You’ll get the best performance with a wired (Ethernet) connection. There’s little if any fluctuation.
The stats for nerds may be measuring the speed from their server to your Shield not to your ISP. Try it.

Thanks, It's a wired (Ethernet) connection.

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 1068 Old 06-01-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, It's a wired (Ethernet) connection.

Okay good. To be honest you really need about 50 Mbps download speed to get decent quality.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 32GB 5th Gen | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #185 of 1068 Old 06-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay good. To be honest you really need about 50 Mbps download speed to get decent quality.

That seems to be the problem. We live in the country where internet is improving but still way behind what can be found in the cities. I can't blame the providers as the user population is small & fiber optic cable is expensive to replace outdated lines. Actually, 25mbs service is revolutionary out here!
m_snow likes this.

post #186 of 1068 Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
That seems to be the problem. We live in the country where internet is improving but still way behind what can be found in the cities. I can't blame the providers as the user population is small & fiber optic cable is expensive to replace outdated lines. Actually, 25mbs service is revolutionary out here!
25 mbps should be fine, as long as nobody else is streaming or playing games at the same time. I would do a speed test outside of the Youtube and Youtube app. Try the link here ->http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

If you are getting packet loss or low speeds, that's an issue for tech support. If speeds drop into the teens during peak times, your node is saturated. It will need additional capacity installed, which will take weeks for the DSL provider to resolve.

Make sure any QOS settings are off on your router. It may be prioritizing traffic for your laptop.
If you are using a wired connection, how long is the ethernet cord? Is it cat5 or cat5e? How long is the HDMI cable run? If you are using a 100 meter cord, you may want to shorten things up.

Last edited by move4ward; 06-05-2018 at 09:51 AM.
post #187 of 1068 Old 06-05-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Has anyone noticed the "Select Recording" feature for DVR recordings? This seems to address the issue of not being able to skip commercials on VOD once it replaces a DVR recording since now you can manually select the DVR version instead. I've noticed this on Roku (Premiere+ and Express+), haven't checked to see if it's on Android TV (ShieldTV Pro) yet.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #188 of 1068 Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Has anyone noticed the "Select Recording" feature for DVR recordings? This seems to address the issue of not being able to skip commercials on VOD once it replaces a DVR recording since now you can manually select the DVR version instead. I've noticed this on Roku (Premiere+ and Express+), haven't checked to see if it's on Android TV (ShieldTV Pro) yet.
I binged watched the first season of "Atlanta" last week and chose the "On Demand" service on my Nvidia Shield. Using this option allows for Multi-Channel audio, and only one ad per commercial break. The recordings are no different than any DVR recording, whereas I get multiple ads, and only 2.0 Audio.

I watched a few movies on using the On Demand service and also received Multi-Channel audio and one or two ads.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #189 of 1068 Old 06-05-2018, 12:53 PM
PMA

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Rather than go through this entire thread, can someone tell me if Youtube offers Dolby audio (minimum 5.1)? I've tried to compare the various streaming services and it seems that only Netflix offers consistent Dolby audio for its content. None of the others out there seem to do this. Can someone clarify for me?

Thanks,
Paul
post #190 of 1068 Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I binged watched the first season of "Atlanta" last week and chose the "On Demand" service on my Nvidia Shield. Using this option allows for Multi-Channel audio, and only one ad per commercial break. The recordings are no different than any DVR recording, whereas I get multiple ads, and only 2.0 Audio.

I watched a few movies on using the On Demand service and also received Multi-Channel audio and one or two ads.
True, and for a movie I'd probably pick VOD and deal with the minimal ads in exchange for multichannel audio. But for tv shows, I'll choose the DVR version and sacrifice multichannel audio for the ability fo FFW through commercials.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #191 of 1068 Old 06-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
25 mbps should be fine, as long as nobody else is streaming or playing games at the same time. I would do a speed test outside of the Youtube and Youtube app. Try the link here ->http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

If you are getting packet loss or low speeds, that's an issue for tech support. If speeds drop into the teens during peak times, your node is saturated. It will need additional capacity installed, which will take weeks for the DSL provider to resolve.

Make sure any QOS settings are off on your router. It may be prioritizing traffic for your laptop.
If you are using a wired connection, how long is the ethernet cord? Is it cat5 or cat5e? How long is the HDMI cable run? If you are using a 100 meter cord, you may want to shorten things up.
Hi
Just a follow-up; whild my internet speed checks @ 15-25Mbs (usually solid & constant @18Mbs) the Stats for Geeks on YouTube TV says it's much lower; like 2-7Mbs, max of 11Mbs. This morning I uninstalled / reinstalled my YouTube TV app on Shield & its performance has improved greatly. Stats for Geeks now reads similar to our usual internet speeds & the picture is sharp. Live TV is a whole new world streaming but worth it!

Thanks for your help! George
move4ward and m_snow like this.

post #192 of 1068 Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Rather than go through this entire thread, can someone tell me if Youtube offers Dolby audio (minimum 5.1)? I've tried to compare the various streaming services and it seems that only Netflix offers consistent Dolby audio for its content. None of the others out there seem to do this. Can someone clarify for me?

Thanks,
Paul
YouTube as a service only offers stereo sound. Applications built on top of the platform can support DD signals (Netflix, etc.). But just watching YouTube videos, you won't get anything better than stereo, sadly.
post #193 of 1068 Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM
PMA

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
YouTube as a service only offers stereo sound. Applications built on top of the platform can support DD signals (Netflix, etc.). But just watching YouTube videos, you won't get anything better than stereo, sadly.
Thanks. This is what I suspected. Seems odd to me that Hulu, YouTube and other streaming apps don't think about quality audio. To me, that's just as important as video quality.
post #194 of 1068 Old 06-08-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Thanks. This is what I suspected. Seems odd to me that Hulu, YouTube and other streaming apps don't think about quality audio. To me, that's just as important as video quality.
They are selling cheap cost, not quality.
post #195 of 1068 Old 06-08-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post
They are selling cheap cost, not quality.
But the picture quality blows away Dish, cable and all others. Just need multichannel audio.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #196 of 1068 Old 06-08-2018, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
But the picture quality blows away Dish, cable and all others. Just need multichannel audio.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Multi-channel audio is Available via the On Demand Service. On my Marantz Receiver, it displays Multi-Ch rather than Dolby Surround. I can't say that this is available for every program available via On Demand, but it is there.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #197 of 1068 Old 06-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi
Just a follow-up; whild my internet speed checks @ 15-25Mbs (usually solid & constant @18Mbs) the Stats for Geeks on YouTube TV says it's much lower; like 2-7Mbs, max of 11Mbs. This morning I uninstalled / reinstalled my YouTube TV app on Shield & its performance has improved greatly. Stats for Geeks now reads similar to our usual internet speeds & the picture is sharp. Live TV is a whole new world streaming but worth it!

Thanks for your help! George
Just one more follow up. We have 2 routers. The main router has only 4 wired connections so we have a 2nd router for extra wired internet needs. We have frequent power outages living in the country & that was my problem. Once power was restored we forgot to turn the 2nd route back on so the Shield unit switched to wireless internet as a backup. That was the problem as the wireless signal quality isn't strong enough for where the Shield is located. After checking & finding the problem YouTube TV now has a strong internet connection & looks great! Even 4k on YouTube streams without jitters.
move4ward likes this.

post #198 of 1068 Old 06-09-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just one more follow up. We have 2 routers. The main router has only 4 wired connections so we have a 2nd router for extra wired internet needs. We have frequent power outages living in the country & that was my problem. Once power was restored we forgot to turn the 2nd route back on so the Shield unit switched to wireless internet as a backup. That was the problem as the wireless signal quality isn't strong enough for where the Shield is located. After checking & finding the problem YouTube TV now has a strong internet connection & looks great! Even 4k on YouTube streams without jitters.

Couldn’t you just buy an 8 port gig switch (they don’t cost much) and attach it to your better router? Seems simpler than two routers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jimholcomb likes this.

Mike
post #199 of 1068 Old 06-12-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Is it just me or is anyone else having ridiculous buffering issues with YTTV of late? It is the only one giving me issues of all my streaming apps on my ShieldTV, Samsung Tizen TV's and my Roku's. It is the only live streaming service I subscribe too all the others are "on demand".. Hulu and Netflix basically. Is it me, YTTV or is Spectrum f'n with me because I dropped CableTV?

post #200 of 1068 Old 06-12-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else having ridiculous buffering issues with YTTV of late? It is the only one giving me issues of all my streaming apps on my ShieldTV, Samsung Tizen TV's and my Roku's. It is the only live streaming service I subscribe too all the others are "on demand".. Hulu and Netflix basically. Is it me, YTTV or is Spectrum f'n with me because I dropped CableTV?
Might want to call your cable company. The funny thing is, my internet was extremely slow for 2 weeks straight in May. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Instant were pretty bad on my end when it came to streaming. But YTTV and Youtube both chugged along with no issues. The resolution suffered because of the slow connection, but they were stable and I was able to stream Live TV with no major problems.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #201 of 1068 Old 06-12-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
My ShieldTV and one of my Samsung Tizen TV's are on an Ethernet Gig network. Other devices are on WiFi and I actively manage the channel to steer clear of my neighbors as well as use QoS on my RT-AC3100 to prioritize streaming.

Results are the same wired or wireless. I rebooted the modem but not the router last night. I'll do both tonight and if that doesn't fix it I'll call. I'm paying for 300/20 and have a pretty high end router using AiMesh so bandwith should not be an issue here.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

post #202 of 1068 Old 06-12-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
My ShieldTV and one of my Samsung Tizen TV's are on an Ethernet Gig network. Other devices are on WiFi and I actively manage the channel to steer clear of my neighbors as well as use QoS on my RT-AC3100 to prioritize streaming.

Results are the same wired or wireless. I rebooted the modem but not the router last night. I'll do both tonight and if that doesn't fix it I'll call. I'm paying for 300/20 and have a pretty high end router using AiMesh so bandwith should not be an issue here.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I honestly do not know how many updates have been available for this app, and I keep Auto Updates off on my Shield. Clearing ourtthe Cache, force Stopping, and Uninstalling/Reinstalling the app, which I'm more than positive you already know how to do, are the only suggestions I would have, considering the internet speeds more than support the stream.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #203 of 1068 Old 06-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I currently have DirectTV Now and I'm contemplating dumping it for the YouTubeTV. My kids don't watch a lot of live TV, they instead like to go into the apps (Nick, Cartnoon Network, Food Network). We can sign in with our DTVN password to use the apps but there does not appear to be any sign in for people with YouTubeTV.

Is that the case or am I missing something?
post #204 of 1068 Old 06-17-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Question for any YTTV subscriber: On the Decades channel, are you able to watch the Ed Sullivan shows?
I'm on PSVue, and the Ed Sullivan shows are always blocked on the Decades channel, reportedly due to licensing issues.

Please enter password to view this signature.
post #205 of 1068 Old 06-17-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassman623 View Post
So I currently have DirectTV Now and I'm contemplating dumping it for the YouTubeTV. My kids don't watch a lot of live TV, they instead like to go into the apps (Nick, Cartnoon Network, Food Network). We can sign in with our DTVN password to use the apps but there does not appear to be any sign in for people with YouTubeTV.

Is that the case or am I missing something?
we have had YTTV for eight months. As far as I know, you cannot sign in to any of the "go" channels because you have a YTTV subscription. (CNNGo, FxGo etc.) We have no trouble making use of the Comcast account that comes with a condo we have where every one has Comcast included in their HOA dues. I think DTVN is the only streaming service that allows this.
brassman623 likes this.
post #206 of 1068 Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
we have had YTTV for eight months. As far as I know, you cannot sign in to any of the "go" channels because you have a YTTV subscription. (CNNGo, FxGo etc.) We have no trouble making use of the Comcast account that comes with a condo we have where every one has Comcast included in their HOA dues. I think DTVN is the only streaming service that allows this.

No, many have this. PS Vue has the most followed by DTVN.

Mike
post #207 of 1068 Old 06-17-2018, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
No, many have this. PS Vue has the most followed by DTVN.

I made a mistake about YTTV, above. You CAN access most "Go" apps on channels carried by YTTV. CNN is a major exception. YTTV doesn't carry the "Decades" channel - so that wouldn't help "Sgooter", above. (I never heard of that channel.)
post #208 of 1068 Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
...YTTV doesn't carry the "Decades" channel - so that wouldn't help "Sgooter", above. (I never heard of that channel.)
snidely,
You may be correct, but on the YTTV sign-up site, the "DECADES" channel is in the list of channels included in their $40 pkg.
The Decades channel has old TV programs, such as the Ed Sullivan Show, Laugh-In, Dick Cavet, etc.

post #209 of 1068 Old 06-18-2018, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Youtube TV streaming service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Question for any YTTV subscriber: On the Decades channel, are you able to watch the Ed Sullivan shows?

I'm on PSVue, and the Ed Sullivan shows are always blocked on the Decades channel, reportedly due to licensing issues.

YTTV does include the Decades channel and Ed Sullivan is scheduled now between 7 and 7:30am ET but it is blocked.
post #210 of 1068 Old 06-18-2018, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimholcomb View Post
YTTV does include the Decades channel and Ed Sullivan is scheduled now between 7 and 7:30am ET but it is blocked.
Thanks for the info. As such, the Decades channel is a sad joke; what's the use of having the Ed Sullivan Show in your scheduled program lineup if no one has the license to view it?
These OTT streaming companies, YTTV, PSVue, DTVN, etc., certainly have some junk in their channel lineups, such as the Big Ten Network (BTN), Decades, Justice Central, TVG, and the world famous New England Cable News (NECN).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page