Youtube TV streaming service - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 811Likes

post #2131 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1986 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I personally like most of them, Comedy Central especially. Not sure if I $15 like them though.
Think of it as just a bonus because the price was going up anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
HDMI Guy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Not only the NFL Networks channel still missing, the price pumped $15 more.
Comcrap offers $39.99/mo no-contract for HSI (200Mbps) in my area.
Comcrap offers $69.99/mo no-contract for HSI (200Mbps) + 125+ channel (NFL Networks is not available in this package though).
$65 for YTTV alone isn't justifying.
I say NO
wxman likes this.
post #2133 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1588
They can lose 30% of their customer base and still come out ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I will put on pause before my increase starts. They should restore my Tampa rsn,which I lost due to YTTV not willing to pay for it in some Florida locations. I may come back if pro sports really do start back up.
post #2135 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I'll likely stay with YouTube TV. Whatever anyone says, $65 is still MUCH cheaper than cable or satellite (outside of a bare bones package, one non-DVR receiver, and/or a 12-mo. promo price with contract). YouTube TV includes in the base price a lot of channels, especially sports, that would require me to pay for extra premium tiers via my cable co. To return to cable would run me $130-$150/mo for the channels I need (and get from YTTV) and whole home DVR functionality and two additional outlets.

Unfortunately, Fubo is still not an option even with ESPN and ABC networks, as they've since dropped my Fox/Sinclair RSN. And no AMC channels on Hulu has always been a dealbreaker, and Sling's poor PQ and lack of Fox/Sinclair RSNs is also a nonstarter.

Ultimately it will come down to whether there's even anything to watch in the fall. With sports still iffy and most prime time shows not being able to film yet, the offerings will be slim. I can see myself pausing live TV service until things get back to normal.
YTTV is much cheaper than Spectrum Cable. I was paying about $155 for Spectrum with a DVR and two cable boxes plus a cable card. YTTV has everything I watched on Spectrum and is still half the price after the increase. No one likes a price increase but in my opinion YTTV is still the best option.
Zookster likes this.
post #2136 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
YTTV is much cheaper than Spectrum Cable. I was paying about $155 for Spectrum with a DVR and two cable boxes plus a cable card. YTTV has everything I watched on Spectrum and is still half the price after the increase. No one likes a price increase but in my opinion YTTV is still the best option.
I pay 120.00 for spectrum cable silver and 400 internet. Have been for the past two years. Sure, yttv is cheaper stand alone, but people still need internet. Without bundles 70.00 is about average for internet alone in the Raleigh NC area, ill just stick with my.bundle! Cheaper and more channels at that

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #2137 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

With Directv promo I was paying $50/month but after it ran out price shoots up to $110 or so. Sure I’m missing NFL Network but other than that I’m only missing 5.1 sound. Instead of calling every year to negotiate with Directv I no longer have to do that.

The channel feeds are worlds better than my local cable company (Sparklight) and on par or better than Directv and there’s no issues with the service or etc. The Genie2 is an awful piece of equipment I no longer have to deal with. Sparklight standard cable is $88 with NO DVR or equipment for other rooms.

I told everyone I knew that a price increase would come and here it is. I’m still staying with YouTube TV. Where is my limit? I don’t really know but what I do know is I’m okay with $65. Perhaps they have an NFL deal in the pipeline which is factored in to this increase and perhaps they’ll get rights to Sunday Ticket after this season. That alone will get me to keep it. I only ditched Directv because after a few years of dealing with their faulty equipment and subpar technicians.

If there wasn’t alternative methods of obtaining Sunday Ticket then I’d likely still have Directv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDMI Guy likes this.
post #2138 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Weren’t you getting about 175-200 channels for that price? I was happy paying $30 per month for 60 channels two years ago with YTTV.

YTTV may still be the best option but more research is required.

JD23 and NJDave like this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #2139 of 2220 Old 06-30-2020, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Weren’t you getting about 175-200 channels for that price? I was happy paying $30 per month for 60 channels two years ago with YTTV.

YTTV may still be the best option but more research is required.

I was getting 175-200 channels but I never watched any channels that are not included in You Tube TV. For me it is a better deal.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #2140 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Might be time to go back to some of the Kodi "options"
post #2141 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
Not only the NFL Networks channel still missing, the price pumped $15 more.
Comcrap offers $39.99/mo no-contract for HSI (200Mbps) in my area.
Comcrap offers $69.99/mo no-contract for HSI (200Mbps) + 125+ channel (NFL Networks is not available in this package though).
$65 for YTTV alone isn't justifying.
I say NO
Unfortunately in our area, the price Comcast quotes for those packages isn’t the price we end up paying. When we left then to go to our first streaming service they said “we can give you a package that is $60 a month for X channels”. I asked if that included all the taxes and fees and they said well no. What I was paying at the time for those with boxes for 3 TVs and DVR service added up to almost what I would pay for the streaming service at the time. The taxes and fees were almost $50. Box rental fees, DVR service fees, local sports service fee which was quite high, a number of different taxes. So far in our area these streaming services do not have to charge these which makes them the great price advantage for us as they start about $50 ahead before the package price kicks in. Not sure how I can get my local sports network on YouTube TV and not pay that crazy fee - it was like $6 or $7 a month if I remember correctly, but if I had Comcast I would have to pay that.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #2142 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
Unfortunately in our area, the price Comcast quotes for those packages isn’t the price we end up paying. When we left then to go to our first streaming service they said “we can give you a package that is $60 a month for X channels”. I asked if that included all the taxes and fees and they said well no. What I was paying at the time for those with boxes for 3 TVs and DVR service added up to almost what I would pay for the streaming service at the time. The taxes and fees were almost $50. Box rental fees, DVR service fees, local sports service fee which was quite high, a number of different taxes. So far in our area these streaming services do not have to charge these which makes them the great price advantage for us as they start about $50 ahead before the package price kicks in. Not sure how I can get my local sports network on YouTube TV and not pay that crazy fee - it was like $6 or $7 a month if I remember correctly, but if I had Comcast I would have to pay that.
I was paying Comcast $265/month for cable and internet. Now I have YTTV and Verizon FiOS gigabit, which are both $65/month. I'm saving $130/month, even with the increase. No brainer here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #2143 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I pay for $100 for ATT Gigabit internet and now $65 for YTTV, so I am within the realm of previous package deal prices. At least now I have better internet and don't need bulky cable boxes for every TV. However, I remember paying $90 for internet and $45 for PS Vue a couple of years ago. I can easily "afford" these services but I hate feeling like I am not getting value for my money.
post #2144 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 855
One hope is that COVID will substantially lessen the negotiating power of professional sports leagues and networks will be able to take the screws to the leagues in the next round of TV negotiations. Frankly, I have missed sports far less than I anticipated. With F1 starting back up and hopefully running until close to the end of the year, I care little if the rest of the leagues decide to resume their seasons.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2145 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
I was paying Comcast $265/month for cable and internet. Now I have YTTV and Verizon FiOS gigabit, which are both $65/month. I'm saving $130/month, even with the increase. No brainer here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Exactly, you really can't compare the two. It will always be a savings going this route.

biglen likes this.
post #2146 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
The hard part is finding a service with ESPN, FS1, FS2, and BTN without having to have multiple providers. This is why i subscribed to YTTV. Of course, we may be looking at the possibility of no college football or basketball until next year.

Fubo comes close, but you will need Disney+ for ESPN. Why no ESPN? It costs $16/subscriber, the reason why Fubo doesn't carry it.

See Fubo Family, Fubo Standard or Fubo Ultra: https://www.fubo.tv/welcome/channels
Fubo is getting Disney/ESPN effective August 1st. However, they are losing Turner networks and their prices are going up $5.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/2...isney-channels
post #2147 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As of early Wednesday morning, fuboTV is no longer carrying TNT, TBS, CNN, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, truTV, HLN, TCM, CNN Español and CNN International.

Sort of lessens Fubo, It gains Disney; dumps Turner, and raises the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
Fubo is getting Disney/ESPN effective August 1st. However, they are losing Turner networks and their prices are going up $5.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/2...isney-channels
post #2148 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
As of early Wednesday morning, fuboTV is no longer carrying TNT, TBS, CNN, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, truTV, HLN, TCM, CNN Español and CNN International.

Sort of lessens Fubo, It gains Disney; dumps Turner, and raises the price.
I personally would not be happy with this move if I were a Fubu customer.
I guess the bottom line is if you want these channels, depending on how many you need to pay for them. See my problem want the actually paying for channels, it was the extra crap on top that pissed me off. There were strange fees all over the bill that didn't make sense. I mean it's at least 20-30 bucks in fees no one could interest on a typical old cable bill. Renting fees really pissed be off. 10 bucks a box, and there is 30-40 bucks right here. I'm getting pissed off just writing this.

aaronwt likes this.
post #2149 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Oh boy I just subscribed two days ago. A $5 dollar increase I could stomach but $15 is way too much. I’ll be shopping around.
I agree. I got Philo about a month ago to get some of the channels that YTTV didn't have that we like to watch. Nickelodeon and Paramount were two. I wouldn't have a problem with this is if it also had the History, DIY, Hallmark, Discovery, A&E and others. They doing this because those other channels want more money. I was saving about $50 or more month, now it is it's going to be only $35. I wish there was a service where you could pick just the channel you want to see and not all the other crap.
aaronwt likes this.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #2150 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I wish there was a service where you could pick just the channel you want to see and not all the other crap.
I have really wanted this as well....but its never going to happen. The channel "conglomerates" are forced to bundle lesser/cheaper channels with the likes of ESPN, etc to subsidize them. For someone like me....that has no need for ESPN...but want a few of the little channels "tied" to ESPN is forced to basically pay the price for ESPN so I can get those. Not all channels are "equal"...they are far from it....in fact very few are actually considered the "big earners".

That said, I would love a pick 10 for $20 or something like that.

Perhaps they could tier the channels into groups....10 low tier for $20 or 5 high tier for $20, etc.

Again, never gonna happen....all that has changed with time is the avenue of delivery....everything else is still the same ol forced cable bundle crap it has always been....and rapidly even the cost savings will soon be a thing of the past.

If I were to stay with YTTV.....including my Gigabit ISP service....I am up around $180ish/month which is just shy of max i used to get with cable (which had every channel). So I have gone full circle....except getting less for basically the same $ i used to. No clue what tv bundle with my gigabit service would cost now...might actually be time to look into it.

For now, I cancel YTTV and am giving Philo a shot. So far TBS is really the only thing we are "missing".
post #2151 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Unfortunately, these "options" are grossly unreliable, and squeezed for bandwidth. Picture quality and sound can be mediocre or poor. And, then there is the "source" of their content, which can be construed as illegal distribution of copyrighted material.

These "options" have issues with picture freeze, blank channels, limited support (if any), audio issues, and access to content issues. That is, compromised distributor discovers the "option", shuts them down, and the "option" scrambles to find a new source, until shut they are shut down again.

Many of these "options" operate outside the US, and out of thee reach of the US government.There is risk of your financial, and possible personal, data being compromised. They use drop box US addresses, and US toll free phone numbers, to make them look like they operate in the US.

Their prices are appealing, one "option" costs $120/year for 2 devices, with hundreds of US and foreign channels, offered as "donations". But, be prepared for lots of frustration if one chooses this route. It is not worth it,

You get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Might be time to go back to some of the Kodi "options"
post #2152 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I've only had YTTV for two months. My girlfriend is a bigger TV watcher than I am, but she likes it particularly because of the local channels. I live in an area that has bad reception, so an outdoor antenna is doable, but I like the fact that I can record things that we can't watch at that particular point in time. Plus, it's nice if there's some show that we want to watch that's only some random channel that we wouldn't have access to otherwise.

This price increase sucks though and I would be even more annoyed if I were a long-time member that absorbed the previous increase as well. It's like they're basically turning into greedy cable companies. And despite the increase, we're still stuck with stereo sound only.

When seeking alternatives, I don't really see anything that's significantly better. You either lose local channels, or you have access to local channels, but the pricing is the same.

What I really wish YouTube would do is offered packages. Offer a smaller-sized package for those that don't necessarily need all of the channels. That would at least make it a bit easier to swallow.

I might keep it for a few months to see if they make any changes to their platform - but not sure how long I'll keep it around for.
JD23 likes this.

- Sony 65A9G OLED
- Panasonic UB-820 4K BD Player/Apple 4K TV
- Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 AVR/Outlaw Model 5000 AMP
- SVS Prime Towers (2)/Prime Center/SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer 12"
- Polk MC80 In-Ceiling 8" Speakers (2)
post #2153 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 09:52 AM

There is locast.org. That, combined with a VPN, and a device which supports VPN, you can probably get OTA from one of its markets.

They feed Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Puerto Rico, Rapid City, San Francisco, Seattle, Sioux City, Sioux Falls, Tampa Bay, and Washington, DC. Pay the $5 a month "donation", so you don't get bothered by asking for a donation. It feeds all main and sub channels, except for those that carry shopping or 24 hours of commercials.

See locast.org.

Oh yeah, the networks are suing them for distribution of contents, but because they are a non-profit, they have a good chance of winning the suit. The "donation" helps defray their costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I've only had YTTV for two months. My girlfriend is a bigger TV watcher than I am, but she likes it particularly because of the local channels. I live in an area that has bad reception, so an outdoor antenna is doable, but I like the fact that I can record things that we can't watch at that particular point in time. Plus, it's nice if there's some show that we want to watch that's only some random channel that we wouldn't have access to otherwise.

This price increase sucks though and I would be even more annoyed if I were a long-time member that absorbed the previous increase as well. It's like they're basically turning into greedy cable companies. And despite the increase, we're still stuck with stereo sound only.

When seeking alternatives, I don't really see anything that's significantly better. You either lose local channels, or you have access to local channels, but the pricing is the same.

What I really wish YouTube would do is offered packages. Offer a smaller-sized package for those that don't necessarily need all of the channels. That would at least make it a bit easier to swallow.

I might keep it for a few months to see if they make any changes to their platform - but not sure how long I'll keep it around for.
post #2154 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1461
I'm not happy with paying (this much) more and adding channels I don't watch. But I'll stick with YTTV for now. Two years till kids are off to college, then it'll be easier to switch around. I still can see my old $225 Time Warner bills in my nightmares.
post #2155 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I have really wanted this as well....but its never going to happen. The channel "conglomerates" are forced to bundle lesser/cheaper channels with the likes of ESPN, etc to subsidize them. For someone like me....that has no need for ESPN...but want a few of the little channels "tied" to ESPN is forced to basically pay the price for ESPN so I can get those. Not all channels are "equal"...they are far from it....in fact very few are actually considered the "big earners".

That said, I would love a pick 10 for $20 or something like that.

Perhaps they could tier the channels into groups....10 low tier for $20 or 5 high tier for $20, etc.

Again, never gonna happen....all that has changed with time is the avenue of delivery....everything else is still the same ol forced cable bundle crap it has always been....and rapidly even the cost savings will soon be a thing of the past.

If I were to stay with YTTV.....including my Gigabit ISP service....I am up around $180ish/month which is just shy of max i used to get with cable (which had every channel). So I have gone full circle....except getting less for basically the same $ i used to. No clue what tv bundle with my gigabit service would cost now...might actually be time to look into it.

For now, I cancel YTTV and am giving Philo a shot. So far TBS is really the only thing we are "missing".
I just changed my Version phone plan to unlimited so I am getting Desney+ for free and Hulu and ESPN+ for $6 a month. I don't use Hulu a lot, but am liking ESPN+. The thing I like about YTTV is the local channels. If YTTV gets Hallmark and the History channel I will be dropping Philo.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #2156 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just changed my Version phone plan to unlimited so I am getting Desney+ for free and Hulu and ESPN+ for $6 a month. I don't use Hulu a lot, but am liking ESPN+. The thing I like about YTTV is the local channels. If YTTV gets Hallmark and the History channel I will be dropping Philo.

No, they’re gonna saving those two for the next 30% price increase .

JD23 likes this.

Mike
post #2157 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't think the added changed are garbage?
Yes.
Ladeback likes this.
post #2158 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
OK I will consider this price increase a freebie for YTTV. These are in reality, "the cable tv cheap channels." But with the next increase, I will cancel. In fact, I may start looking around now. Definitely need the DVR service.
post #2159 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
I agree. I got Philo about a month ago to get some of the channels that YTTV didn't have that we like to watch. Nickelodeon and Paramount were two. I wouldn't have a problem with this is if it also had the History, DIY, Hallmark, Discovery, A&E and others. They doing this because those other channels want more money. I was saving about $50 or more month, now it is it's going to be only $35. I wish there was a service where you could pick just the channel you want to see and not all the other crap.
To be honest I only watch locals and some things on History and AMC. $50 was a perfect price that I could live with. $15 is the biggest one time increase I have ever experienced in paying a provider. In my few days of having YoutubeTv it seems like a pretty decent service. I am not sure what I’ll do at this point but I will shop around. Maybe just go back to OTA and Netflix.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2160 of 2220 Old 07-01-2020, 06:48 PM
TKO

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
To be honest I only watch locals and some things on History and AMC.

Sling Blue includes History and AMC for $30 and you might get your locals. YTTV was always the smoothest interface for me but maybe not at $65.
aaronwt likes this.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page