AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Youtube TV streaming service

It's available in certain areas.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gcli...FU99YgodHwAJcQ

Looks like one tier, with a channel list comparable to what I had when I did a 3-month trial of DirecTV Now.

So anyone give this a go?

Sounds like they may have some kind of DVR feature. No access to HBO but you can add Showtime for an additional $11 a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 773 Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am trying it out at the moment. I had a spare first generation Chromecast lying around so I am using that display to my TV and controlling the video with a spare cellphone.

Initial impressions are

1. slow to cast but a messages does pop saying you are using a 1st generation Chromecast so it might take 30s or so show a picture. Once it shows the PQ is pretty good - 720P at least I would say which is fine for broadcast TV. But tht same 30s delay occurs when you change channel also.
2. No background channels like CNN, Cooking etc. which are my go to channels when there is nothing else on to be used a background TV
3. 2.0 audio. I tried both into the TV and into my AVR and it's 2.0 audio and that was confirmed with Google tech support. Since Google Play movies supports 5.1 audio as well as Netflix, how hard can it be to stream 5.1 audio for TV?
4. WAF is probably low. If I go all into this I will probably find a cheap tablet as the controller and mount it near the TV or near the couch

Like the DVR facility. I am recording anything remotely interesting since there are no space constraints and shows stay up for 9 months.

I will probably watch out the free trial, pay for one month and get the free Chromecast and then see what developments have occurred since then such as more channels and better audio. Also the newer Chromecast should perform better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chromecast .JPG
Views:	245
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	2095481  
post #3 of 773 Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm, CNN is a pretty big omission as well as HBO. So they have to cut a deal with Time-Warner.

But AT&T is trying to acquire TW so once that happens, it may be less likely they cut a deal with Google, since they have DirecTV Now and D*.

However the more TV streaming services the better, if it keeps the package prices down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 773 Old 06-22-2017, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Nome of the TV competitors apps support 5.1 audi0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
I am trying it out at the moment. I had a spare first generation Chromecast lying around so I am using that display to my TV and controlling the video with a spare cellphone.

Initial impressions are

1. slow to cast but a messages does pop saying you are using a 1st generation Chromecast so it might take 30s or so show a picture. Once it shows the PQ is pretty good - 720P at least I would say which is fine for broadcast TV. But tht same 30s delay occurs when you change channel also.
2. No background channels like CNN, Cooking etc. which are my go to channels when there is nothing else on to be used a background TV
3. 2.0 audio. I tried both into the TV and into my AVR and it's 2.0 audio and that was confirmed with Google tech support. Since Google Play movies supports 5.1 audio as well as Netflix, how hard can it be to stream 5.1 audio for TV?
4. WAF is probably low. If I go all into this I will probably find a cheap tablet as the controller and mount it near the TV or near the couch

Like the DVR facility. I am recording anything remotely interesting since there are no space constraints and shows stay up for 9 months.

I will probably watch out the free trial, pay for one month and get the free Chromecast and then see what developments have occurred since then such as more channels and better audio. Also the newer Chromecast should perform better.
I have checked out each and every TV streaming service and nearly all of them only support 2.0 audio. I find it really insulting that these companies think this is acceptable because the majority of people are watching some of this content on a phone or tablet with barely stero capability. I have a 7.1 audio setup at home and I find it very telling that illegal downloads have better sound quality than the official streaming apps made by the content holders. THIS IS WHY!!!! They need to step up their game if they want to bitch about how they are getting ripped off, they spend how much on law firms that put a stop to Kodi boxes and addons but they can't be bothered to add 5.1 audio to their apps? Pathetic.

"This is my BOOMSTICK!!!"
Ash, AOD
post #5 of 773 Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_tringle View Post
I have checked out each and every TV streaming service and nearly all of them only support 2.0 audio. I find it really insulting that these companies think this is acceptable because the majority of people are watching some of this content on a phone or tablet with barely stero capability. I have a 7.1 audio setup at home and I find it very telling that illegal downloads have better sound quality than the official streaming apps made by the content holders. THIS IS WHY!!!! They need to step up their game if they want to bitch about how they are getting ripped off, they spend how much on law firms that put a stop to Kodi boxes and addons but they can't be bothered to add 5.1 audio to their apps? Pathetic.
Write the companies telling them you want dolby digital 5.1, a guy over at Hulu said nobody seems to fighting for it. Companies don't read internet forums, be vocal where it counts. Paper is power! and it can't be deleted by a key press.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 773 Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Write the companies telling them you want dolby digital 5.1, a guy over at Hulu said nobody seems to fighting for it. Companies don't read internet forums, be vocal where it counts. Paper is power! and it can't be deleted by a key press.
What I find interesting is that 5.1 audio is available via streaming if yo use a device like a Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, PS3 etc.

I regularly watch shows in 5.1 audio streaming from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu (and they actually tend to be DD+ in 5.1)

It's just the 2.0 if you are watching on a browser or Chromecast.
cyberized39 likes this.
post #7 of 773 Old 06-23-2017, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
What I find interesting is that 5.1 audio is available via streaming if yo use a device like a Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, PS3 etc.

I regularly watch shows in 5.1 audio streaming from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu (and they actually tend to be DD+ in 5.1)

It's just the 2.0 if you are watching on a browser or Chromecast.
I didn't get 5.1 with DirecTV Now nor Hulu on Apple TV.

I don't think Hulu does 5.1 but one of the Hulu Originals is apparently streamed in Canada, by another provider, at 5.1 and maybe 1080p instead of 720p.
post #8 of 773 Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Looks like its in some new markets now.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/23/yo...be-red-series/

Dallas-Fort Worth
Washington, D.C.
Houston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Detroit
Minneapolis
St. Paul
Miami
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando
Daytona Beach
Melbourne
Charlotte
post #9 of 773 Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_tringle View Post
I have checked out each and every TV streaming service and nearly all of them only support 2.0 audio. I find it really insulting that these companies think this is acceptable...
Agreed 100%. Youtube TV support claims 5.1 is "coming", but doesn't say when, fwiw.
post #10 of 773 Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
Agreed 100%. Youtube TV support claims 5.1 is "coming", but doesn't say when, fwiw.
5.1 on a live stream is tricky because you're doing it on the fly., Vod not so much so. Direct TV Now tried it with HBO on a live stream for awhile but now it's just on demand. Hulu has it the works. Live streaming is very young and still has things to work out.

Last edited by tenthplanet; 07-25-2017 at 01:39 AM. Reason: key bounce
post #11 of 773 Old 12-30-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, I can confirm that as of 12/30/2017, YouTube TV still does not support 5.1 audio. This sucks. Does anyone know if HULU live has it yet?
post #12 of 773 Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
Well, I can confirm that as of 12/30/2017, YouTube TV still does not support 5.1 audio. This sucks. Does anyone know if HULU live has it yet?
NO streaming service has it for live tv, and probably won't get it. Hulu doesn't have it for on demand. Just simulate it, you won't know the difference.
post #13 of 773 Old 01-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Trying the 7 day trail and bummed they don’t have a roku app yet... kinda glitch casting form my phone without the tv app... think when they get the app for roku, this may be a great service. Like he unlimited recording capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 773 Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Daily driver on our shields, replaced cable tv for our household
post #15 of 773 Old 01-03-2018, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post
Trying the 7 day trail and bummed they don’t have a roku app yet... kinda glitch casting form my phone without the tv app... think when they get the app for roku, this may be a great service. Like he unlimited recording capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 and 2017 models of Samsung and LG sets. Not sure about the ETA on other brands....
post #16 of 773 Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Daily driver on our shields, replaced cable tv for our household
What is Daily driver? Googled it but didn't see anything that could be related...sorry if I missed it!
Primestar31 likes this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #17 of 773 Old 01-06-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
NO streaming service has it for live tv, and probably won't get it. Hulu doesn't have it for on demand. Just simulate it, you won't know the difference.
I'm getting 5.1 surround on some channels with DirecTV Now using a first gen Fire TV stick, the same channels are in stereo with a 4K ATV. Both are connected to an Anthem D2 preamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
What is Daily driver? Googled it but didn't see anything that could be related...sorry if I missed it!
I'll go out on a limb and say he's referring to YouTube TV, you know, the subject of this thread.

Sony 65A1E
post #18 of 773 Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Anyone else having problems with FF/RR on recordings?

I've had this happen several times over the past week where you FF or RR and it just gets stuck, no data transfer. You FF or RR a few seconds and hit play again and it works.

Tonight during the Rams/Falcons game I recorded the game, stopped watching. Came back and it goes to Live TV so I know to mute it and just hit RR. No matter what I did I could not go back an hour and play.

Ended up having to change the channel off/back to NBC and missed the recording.

This is on a '17 Samsung 62xx series 4K with the native app.
post #19 of 773 Old 01-06-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post

I've had this happen several times over the past week where you FF or RR and it just gets stuck, no data transfer. You FF or RR a few seconds and hit play again and it works.

Tonight during the Rams/Falcons game I recorded the game, stopped watching. Came back and it goes to Live TV so I know to mute it and just hit RR. No matter what I did I could not go back an hour and play.

Ended up having to change the channel off/back to NBC and missed the recording.

This is on a '17 Samsung 62xx series 4K with the native app.
Never had that happen. Did have minor glitch today when I wanted to start watching a game on NBC sports an hour after recording started. I hit the "go to start of recording icon" then wanted to skip ahead 10 minutes to start of actual game. Screen froze but it did keep recording. After a few tries did get it going. Was able to skip thru commercials as usual.

Like using Google Home mini to say "Hey Google, Fast Forward TV 2 and half minutes".
post #20 of 773 Old 01-06-2018, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
I'll go out on a limb and say he's referring to YouTube TV, you know, the subject of this thread.
Considering my question was not addressed towards you, is there a reason you felt the need to reply with a sarcastic answer?

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #21 of 773 Old 01-09-2018, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post

There are several Dolby Atmos videos on YouTube. Does YouTube support Dolby Atmos playback, let's say streamed on a Roku through a Atmos capable receiver?

post #22 of 773 Old 01-09-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Just forum speak for "We are using the YoutubeTV app as our daily TV consumption app in our household"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
The youtube app and youtubeTV app both have what I consider very strange controls. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not, but when you press left/right to skip through the recording, live tv, etc the frame will be displayed but the playback will be instantly paused. You don't have to press play (though that would work) to resume you can also press "down" and the cursor will jump down to the "play" button on screen and resume
post #23 of 773 Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Daily driver is car enthusiast speak(lingo) for the car you own to get you to work and back everyday vs. a sports car you only use for fun. Automotive writers have used this term for years. It's assumed every one knows car lingo these days (A false assumption to be sure)... OK guys no more lingo

post #24 of 773 Old 01-09-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Just forum speak for "We are using the YoutubeTV app as our daily TV consumption app in our household"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Daily driver is car enthusiast speak(lingo) for the car you own to get you to work and back everyday vs. a sports car you only use for fun. Automotive writers have used this term for years. It's assumed every one knows car lingo these days (A false assumption to be sure)... OK guys no more lingo
Thanks guys, all clear now!
tenthplanet likes this.

post #25 of 773 Old 01-10-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Saw this thread and figured I'd add my 2¢. I was excited to see the YT app come to the xbox1. I tried the 30 day trial and then cancelled. I also tried the 30 day trial on the Chromecast when it first came to my area of Long Island, NY.

on the xbox it was much easier to browse but it suffered from severe lip-sync problems on several channels. The picture quality was a bit sub par as compared to Optimum cable. Not drastic but enough to notice. It was a bit blurry and I found it distracting.

I would love to cut the cord, and if I had to, I think YT is the best to date, but I have WAF & CAF (child) considerations, and since my ISpP will likely jack my internet to about $50 a month if I dismember my "triple-plan" (phone, internet, cable), I'm not so sure I see the value yet.
post #26 of 773 Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

I would love to cut the cord, and if I had to, I think YT is the best to date, but I have WAF & CAF (child) considerations, and since my ISpP will likely jack my internet to about $50 a month if I dismember my "triple-plan" (phone, internet, cable), I'm not so sure I see the value yet.
Your kids could likely care less about cable tv, work on the wife. There is life on the other side of reality TV.

We cut the cord a few years ago, not to save money, but because we hadnt switched the HDMI input over to DISH in about a year. Once you start streaming TV you realize quickly that network tv is just crap.
post #27 of 773 Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Your kids could likely care less about cable tv, work on the wife. There is life on the other side of reality TV.

We cut the cord a few years ago, not to save money, but because we hadnt switched the HDMI input over to DISH in about a year. Once you start streaming TV you realize quickly that network tv is just crap.
no worries, YT has bravo If the lip sync and pq were up to par I would probably do it.
old corps likes this.
post #28 of 773 Old 01-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
no worries, YT has bravo If the lip sync and pq were up to par I would probably do it.
My big problem with YTTV is this...the authorization for WatchESPN doesn't hold, at least on Apple TV and Android TV. I tried the service, I liked it a ton, but I'm a heavy WatchESPN user, and I simply can't deal with having to reauthorize WatchESPN daily, if not hourly. Deal breaker for me, and a google search shows that its been a problem for months.

Maybe a nich problem, but a very serious one for those who rely on WatchESPN.
post #29 of 773 Old 01-12-2018, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1816
CNN does that too on my FireTV. Drives me insane! I actually hate CNN but CBSN quit working on FireTVs weeks ago and I gotta watch something once in a while thats not local news. Sure as heck cant watch foxnews. Eww.
cyberized39 likes this.
post #30 of 773 Old 01-12-2018, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
CNN does that too on my FireTV. Drives me insane! I actually hate CNN but CBSN quit working on FireTVs weeks ago and I gotta watch something once in a while thats not local news. Sure as heck cant watch foxnews. Eww.
I see posts on reddit and elsewhere that indicates this is a problem that's been around for months. Why would this not be fixed by now? It's not like app authorization is a new thing, or many providers have the same problem.

I guess it's just not even a little bit of a priority? Not enough people use the apps to become squeaky wheels? It's just really perplexing to me that this doesn't seem to be on their radar at all. Is there some reason they WANT it this way, to keep viewers on their native programming for advertising purposes? That almost is a better explanation than anything for the continued issue, that they see it as a feature and not a bug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page