Hulu Live TV Streaming Service Launched in Beta - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 90 Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post
I pay for the enhanced DVR since I like to keep some shows until the season is over and then binge...

...I chose Hulu because no other service gives a decent DVR.PS Vue's time limit is too short and doesn't have HGTV...
I have news... (pardon the edited quote)

Not that these could sway you for your other reasons given above... but HGTV is on PlayStation Vue, all plans. And days of PlayStation promo has Core plan discounted to $34.99 for 2 months until the 18th.

I had some differences between Hulu Live and PSV to add but I'll post those in the PSV thread.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 Old 12-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Couldn't find another Hulu streaming service thread. If there is one, please point me to it.

Question is for those who use Hulu. Is their $5.99 version pretty much their ON-Demand service? If I got Hulu streaming, how does it compare to Directv NOW. DirectvNow has an excellent On-Demand section. basically, ALL of the channels I subscribe to, and some I don't subscribe to, are in their On-Demand section. Even the networks of abc, cbs, nbc, and fox. You don't have to go to an external 3rd part app for most things. Does Hulu's On-Demand have pretty much ALL of the channels that their streaming live tv service has?

Thanks. Mike

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #33 of 90 Old 12-07-2018, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Couldn't find another Hulu streaming service thread. If there is one, please point me to it.

Question is for those who use Hulu. Is their $5.99 version pretty much their ON-Demand service? If I got Hulu streaming, how does it compare to Directv NOW. DirectvNow has an excellent On-Demand section. basically, ALL of the channels I subscribe to, and some I don't subscribe to, are in their On-Demand section. Even the networks of abc, cbs, nbc, and fox. You don't have to go to an external 3rd part app for most things. Does Hulu's On-Demand have pretty much ALL of the channels that their streaming live tv service has?

Thanks. Mike
Surprised no one has chimed in here. Not many Hulu people out there? I find that Hulu On Demand is very good. I have the Hulu Live TV service. I have had DirectvNow, PS Vue, and YouTube TV. None are perfect, DirectvNow was the worst because it frequently did not work. PSVue the best. I only left there because of the price. It depends alot on what channels you like the best. Yes, you may have to use a 3rd party app occasionally. I moved to Hulu when they added the Discovery channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 90 Old 12-07-2018, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I too use Hulu for live TV on my ATV4K. I also have Netflix, Prime, HBO, PBS, Britbox, Acorn, and probably 1 or 2 other streaming services I can't think of right now, but Hulu is the way I watch the news and local TV. I have been very happy with their live TV service. The only problem I had was that I had a dynamic IP address and every few weeks Hulu would inform me that I have moved 5 times in the last few weeks and locked our my account. Fixing that took a phone call and the issue was resolved, as least for another few weeks. Hulu said that they we working on a better solution than the IP address to know my home location, which they obviously need to make sure I am not sharing my login. After being locked out 10 times or so, I gave up and paid an extra $1.99 for a static IP address. No problems ever since.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #35 of 90 Old 01-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post
Surprised no one has chimed in here. Not many Hulu people out there? I find that Hulu On Demand is very good. I have the Hulu Live TV service. I have had DirectvNow, PS Vue, and YouTube TV. None are perfect, DirectvNow was the worst because it frequently did not work. PSVue the best. I only left there because of the price. It depends alot on what channels you like the best. Yes, you may have to use a 3rd party app occasionally. I moved to Hulu when they added the Discovery channels.
Are you still liking Hulu Live? I am trying to decide between it and YouTubeTV (YTTV). My main concerns are DVR performance/capacity/time held and channel lineup. YouTubeTV arguably has the best DVR service, but their lack of Viacom channels is quite a miss IMO. This led me to consider Hulu live with the $15 up charge for the premium DVR (how long will it store recordings?).

Other suggested YTTV + Philo, but a single source would be preferable...

Either way, I need to kick DirecTV to the curb before much longer...
post #36 of 90 Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Are you still liking Hulu Live? I am trying to decide between it and YouTubeTV (YTTV). My main concerns are DVR performance/capacity/time held and channel lineup. YouTubeTV arguably has the best DVR service, but their lack of Viacom channels is quite a miss IMO. This led me to consider Hulu live with the $15 up charge for the premium DVR (how long will it store recordings?).

Other suggested YTTV + Philo, but a single source would be preferable...

Either way, I need to kick DirecTV to the curb before much longer...
I went from psvue to hulu live. I'm liking it a lot more. While I pay for the extended DVR, I haven't come close to filling it, and a vast majority of the shows have commercials removed.

Far less 'no skip' on demand then any of the other services I tried. Yttv drove me crazy with almost everything switching to no skip within a day.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
tenthplanet and Ben23 like this.

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #37 of 90 Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinningbull View Post
I went from psvue to hulu live. I'm liking it a lot more. While I pay for the extended DVR, I haven't come close to filling it, and a vast majority of the shows have commercials removed.

Far less 'no skip' on demand then any of the other services I tried. Yttv drove me crazy with almost everything switching to no skip within a day.

Thanks for the feedback. This definitely helps!
post #38 of 90 Old 01-23-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. This definitely helps!
Another point is that many shows become available on-demand right after they are broadcast, so you can potentially be more selective as to what belongs on the DVR in the first place.
post #39 of 90 Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2311 Post(s)
Liked: 3663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
Another point is that many shows become available on-demand right after they are broadcast, so you can potentially be more selective as to what belongs on the DVR in the first place.
When in doubt record, then when the VOD is verified as working, you can delete the recording. There are some shows that Hulu doesn't have rights to, so there won't be VOD. Blacklist and The Good Place on NBC would be an example.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #40 of 90 Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Any Updated Opinions?

Basically, I'm wondering if Hulu live tv users have any opinions on Hulu live tv and their expectations to add channels. Currently, I am using DirectvNow. I must be one of the very lucky subscribers. Actually; I'm probably part of the MAJORITY. People only post on Facebook, Twitter, and many forums, when they're looking for solutions to problems. Most people apparently are quite happy with the service. They simply watch tv and are happy with it. Overall, I probably wouldn't look to switch, but DirectvNow doesn't offer me locals, and probably won't for quite a while. I am using an OTA antenna, but it makes it difficult to get all my locals, and being it's OTA, there's no guide that I can use instantly on the tv (Roku, Apple, etc). I'd have to use the internet for a guide.

I've looked at Vue, Youtube tv, and Hulu Live TV. All 3 give me locals, but they are all missing channels. Vue has the most extensive channel lineup of the 3, but they are missing the A&E family of channels. For me, that's a problem. I like the History Channel, Lifetime, and some others.

Youtube is even worse. They don't have the A&E family of channels. Youtube is also missing the Hallmark Channels. And mostly, they are missing the Discovery Family of channels. That's a LOT of channels missing. Discovery, science channel. TLC, and many others.

Hulu has the A&E Family, and the Discovery Family, but they are missing the AMC family of channels. And the wife, has to have her walking dead. (As well as others). Hulu is also missing Hallmark.

Hallmark channels is the only channel that you can actually buy ala carte from Hallmark. All the others, like A&E family and AMC Family require you to have a tv provider. NONE of them allow you to buy their programming ala carte. Hulu however, if I add the network add ons, HBO, and Starz; and separately added Hallmark, I'd be paying about the same as I do for DirectvNow. I gain the locals, but I'd lose the AMC channels.

The only way to get them all, like with DirectvNow, would be to combine any of those with Philo. The good thing is, Philo does include the Hallmark channels, so I wouldn't have to pay that $6. So if I got Hulu and added Philo, I'd only be paying a couple more dollars per month. Of course, I'd have to switch between 2 different apps to see "What's on tv". Hulu for most, but then I'd have to go to Philo to look at AMC, BBC America, Sundance, BBC News, Animal Planet, CMT, Comedy Channel, Paramount, and a number of others. Just not sure if it's worth the inconvenience of bouncing between 2 different apps.

So, I'm curious if any of the current Hulu subscribers, know of or have heard of Hulu adding more channels. Specifically the AMC family of channels. If they had the AMC channels, I'd still be missing some channels, but it wouldn't be many that I'd miss too badly. And I could get the Hallmark separately. So, has anyone heard of anything about new channels. Specifically the AMC channel and it's family of channels.

On a side note, is anyone here really disappointed with Hulu Live TV? As I said, I'm one of the very happy DirectvNow customers; but i really would like to have local channels. I can live without them, because of OTA, but it would be enough to make me switch. If the other provider had all the channels I'm wanting.Hulu is close, but they need the AMC channels.
beerhunt likes this.

Michael

post #41 of 90 Old 02-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

WOW!!! I guess there aren't a lot of Hulu Live TV subscribers on Avsforum. Almost never get anyone to reply to Hulu threads.

Michael

post #42 of 90 Old 02-14-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
WOW!!! I guess there aren't a lot of Hulu Live TV subscribers on Avsforum. Almost never get anyone to reply to Hulu threads.
We switched to hulu live from psvue, like it alot better for the most part. Only negative is it doesn't work on the shield, and the aftv has trouble with some of the channels (jitter).

But with the extras - no ads and extended DVR - it's working a lot better for us.

other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #43 of 90 Old 02-15-2019, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Cool Sideloading onto the ShieldTV

@Spinningbull ...I wonder if you can side load HuluLIVE onto the ShieldTV? Many of us here in AVS are doing just that with DirectTV Now onto our Shield's. This works fantastic (for me) using the Harmony smart remote w/hub!
post #44 of 90 Old 02-15-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunt View Post
@Spinningbull ...I wonder if you can side load HuluLIVE onto the ShieldTV? Many of us here in AVS are doing just that with DirectTV Now onto our Shield's. This works fantastic (for me) using the Harmony smart remote w/hub!
I looked on aptoid... didn't see the right one, and gave up. Its probably there somewhere if I ever get over my extreme laziness.

post #45 of 90 Old 02-15-2019, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sideloading Hulu Live TV onto ShieldTV

@Spinningbull : hahaha!...I am also afflicted with laziness at times! I went into Google chrome and typing in search 'Hulu Live TV apk'., I found a link for Apkpure.I was able to navigate to the FREE Trial sign in page using my Harmony Smart remote w/hub. I am not interested at this time in the trial...I need to sober up...LOL

YMMV!...
post #46 of 90 Old 02-15-2019, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2311 Post(s)
Liked: 3663
Quote:
There was a lot of flack on the internet about what channels they weren't carrying earlier on but other than that..Hulu has a 200 hour dvr available and more on-demand than any other service because Hulu Live comes with regular Hulu at it's core. You may want to check the r/hulu subreddit on reddit for more users opinions. If they had the channels I wanted I'd try it.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #47 of 90 Old 02-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
There was a lot of flack on the internet about what channels they weren't carrying earlier on but other than that..Hulu has a 200 hour dvr available and more on-demand than any other service because Hulu Live comes with regular Hulu at it's core. You may want to check the r/hulu subreddit on reddit for more users opinions. If they had the channels I wanted I'd try it.
A lot of good info; and thanks for the feedback.

Getting Hulu for free with live tv is a nice bonus. (I already get hulu separately). As for on-demand, DirectvNow On-Demand is actually pretty good. Every channel that you subscribe to (Plus the ones you don't subscribe to) they have their own On-Demand for. That's really nice. Plus, you have free log in capabilities for most of all the 3rd party apps for those channels.

DVR...... well, as I mentioned previously, that's a non-issue for me. I have absolutely no need for DVR. Not dogging those who do, but anything I can't watch when it's scheduled to air, or I miss it, is usually on On-Demand in less than 24 hours. No need for me to record it.

My biggest reason for looking into Hulu Live tv "Was" for the ability to get locals. It's not a deal breaker not having them with DirectvNow, but it would be nice. Most people do get locals with DirectvNow. If Hulu had the AMC family of channels, I'd have already signed up and tried them by now. Probably would have gone with them initially and saved the extra monthly charge for the Hulu on-demand which is already included. But alas; without the AMC channels, it's not really an option. That's why I was posting/asking if any current customers have heard from Hulu or any of their emails about adding the AMC family of channels. The only other option is to get Hulu and ADD Philo to it. But honestly; having to switch between 2 or more apps to see what's on tv is a bit inconvenient. I've tried using Locast for network channels. It works, but having to switch between apps is a PITA. I guess I'll keep checking to see when Hulu adds the AMC channels.

Thanks. Mike

Michael

post #48 of 90 Old 02-19-2019, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I have a trial going right now. Absolutely fluid on my Apple TV 4K without issues. Problem is locals. I want local channels and with Hulu I only get CBS and FOX. If they added my NBC I’d be set. I can watch ABC stuff on demand, but need the other 3 live for sports.

I tried YouTube TV which has all of my locals, but, my wife would miss HGTV and some other channels. I’ll be picking between the two when I call directv to cancel if they don’t offer me a reason to stay in a few months. Those are the only two I’m considering. The rest have one or zero locals and I’m not in range to get them OTA.
post #49 of 90 Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
One thing I keep coming back to is the idea that none of the mainstream live TV streaming services are perfect, but if you load up on one and compliment it with another you might have every channel and feature that you want. When I switched from Xfinity triple play to gigabit Internet only plus Hulu with lots of extras, I’m still $75 ahead of where I was before. I could potentially add DTVN or Sling to get the few things I find missing from Hulu and still be ahead of where I was.

I feel like we are still a few years away from where the state of streaming TV needs to be, especially considering the dearth of 4K content which is really a problem with the networks and not so much the aggregators and distributors.
post #50 of 90 Old 03-02-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Question on the live TV service. It looks like this service does not come with an add free option when watching Hulus library, which I currently subscribe to. For example, I am now able to watch The Goldbergs, next day mind you, add free. Can anyone tell me if I would lose this option if I subscribed to Hulu live TV? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #51 of 90 Old 03-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
Question on the live TV service. It looks like this service does not come with an add free option when watching Hulus library, which I currently subscribe to. For example, I am now able to watch The Goldbergs, next day mind you, add free. Can anyone tell me if I would lose this option if I subscribed to Hulu live TV? Thank you!

I had the no commercial version of on-demand for my trial. Can't recall how I set that up but I believe I called and paid the difference for the trial. But they may have walked me through it or edited while on chat or phone. Also paid extra for enhanced DVR for trial too. Minor cost but valuable for evaluating the actual services Hulu would ask me to pay month to month for. (My prior posts in this thread may shed some light on that.)

Good thing I added those to my trial! Hulu extended my free trial more than once for issues and concerns I expressed.

Mind you this was back in February, 2018. I didn't like that new series coming on Hulu would clue me in to best to record or not. I'd happily watch ad free next day on-demand if I had a clue. It's not just record capacity that would prompt you to record or not record when adding to my stuff; it's the ad experience or lack thereof. And also tapping watch now from main menus would serve up ad laden episodes; no shortcuts, best drill into episodes directly next day for those ad free opportunities. Hulu is less frustrating for on-demand patrons, IMO. Nothing seemed compelling to keep me subscribed to live TV and on-demand. I kept the on-demand and tried other streaming TV services. Eventually went back to DirecTV for discounts offered to win me back.

Unsure about now, but time shifting with cloud DVR wasn't near as convenient as I was accustomed to physical DVR. But then, what's recording now was only available in guide, not my stuff (DVR) unless I waited until will after it was over. I can recall trouble with live sports events not always showing the red status on my ATV4K to indicate I could watch from beginning; meanwhile Roku seemed most apt to show correct status so I could watch it. Hulu's most recommended troubleshooting option was sign out and reboot all devices. Unacceptable. Another complaint was catching up to live of sporting events recording on progress, ads were skipable until live or scheduled end of event. I'd still be delayed but suddenly all ads are forced. I may have to wait for the recording to be added to my DVR to watch the end unless I endured the commercials.

Hopefully the service is improved in the past year. But my trial extensions kept me patiently around until they weren't extended and nothing had improved.

I found less hiding of ad skipable content with PS Vue. Now YouTube TV is appealing since getting more channel providers to agree to not supplant recordings with on-demand that has unskippable ads. For YouTube TV, CBS and The CW are the exceptions for the above.

Other than paying PS Vue, DirecTV Now or Sling extra for missing channels, should you find Hulu or YouTube TV lacking favorite channels, consider Philo. Philo doesn't have sports or locals but many other lacking channels with unlimited capacity DVR for 30 days, each recording.

Can't go wrong with a trial though. Maybe you could post/update the experience to keep it relevant?

post #52 of 90 Old 03-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

To clarify, if you already have on-demand no commercial option, you have the choice of adding live TV to it or opening new account with an unused email to get the package as a trial.

I get those free one month trial offers on my other email account that I've never subscribed with... I never checked to see if that interval applies to live TV?

If opening a new account, keep the old one long enough to jot down your on-demand series so you'll know to opt to not record when adding those to your stuff. Actually record those that return live only option when searching in account with on-demand only option. By doing it this way, you should still find your on-demand commercial free content watchable the next day. And not waste recording capacity on those.

If things are still like they were, keeping the on-demand only account open for just a bit can reveal some hints that aren't so obvious. When I had the live TV account, my wife kept her on-demand account open because she knew how temporary my trials were going to be. I can appreciate the contract free option to trial them all, if that's what it takes to know which is best for me.

post #53 of 90 Old 03-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input and clarification. I've had the on demand for a long time now. I just wanted to be sure that the commercial free option didn't go away.

It makes sense now that any program that is not offered via on demand would have commercials and on demand would remain as is.

I really mostly care about getting the local channels as I live in a rural area and my OTA antenna reception can be spotty at times. Having a DVR for programming that is not local would be kind of nice but the $44/ month on top of the commercial free subscription of 12.99 seems super expensive. If it was $44 total I'd be more interested.

I actually did the trial for live TV a while back, but didn't have much time to dive into it to really digest its offerings.

post #54 of 90 Old 03-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input and clarification. I've had the on demand for a long time now. I just wanted to be sure that the commercial free option didn't go away.

It makes sense now that any program that is not offered via on demand would have commercials and on demand would remain as is.

I really mostly care about getting the local channels as I live in a rural area and my OTA antenna reception can be spotty at times. Having a DVR for programming that is not local would be kind of nice but the $44/ month on top of the commercial free subscription of 12.99 seems super expensive. If it was $44 total I'd be more interested.

I actually did the trial for live TV a while back, but didn't have much time to dive into it to really digest its offerings.

Actually, that's $50.99 after free one week trial for no ads (on-demand) plus live TV. That would get you 50 hours of recording capacity and 2 simultaneous streams. The bundle is slightly less. Bundling with ads ads ads is even less.

Additional $14.98 add-on gets you the enhanced DVR with commercial skip for recordings and 200 hours recording capacity plus more streams after 1 month free.

Don't need but 2 streams? The enhanced DVR alone is $9.99 after 1 month free.

But I suppose after you reach $65.97 for both no ad options and extra streams, it's more than you bargained for, as you say, anyway. Compare to $40 + $16 for YouTube TV and Philo, you get more channels and almost enough difference to add the Hulu no ad on-demand subscription, if still wanting to keep it. This was my point with Hulu, directly, about their pricing. What's the incentive to truly remain with Hulu Live TV if Hulu's add-ons that others don't charge, net a better deal cobbling other providers that may actually be better? IMO, there's truly no one stop shopping for entertainment; live TV is just too expensive to pay one provider for if cobbling gets something more rather than settling for less or inconvenience. Changing apps on a streamer is almost as easy as navigating guide or DVR and selecting another show or recording.

I'm still under the impression that Hulu benefits greatly by serving ads. To hear their CEO offer there's opportunities for their ad sponsors can't mean their subscribers will see that as an opportunity to pursue; I think I expanded on those opportunities and they're annoying for some. The add-ons and work arounds aren't convenient or sustainable for me. But Hulu is doing well despite this; I've read that Hulu and YouTube TV have grown the most in subscriber count in the past year. Go figure; maybe YouTube TV does better now that it's available to more viewers.

post #55 of 90 Old 03-03-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

This screen shot for no ads pricing is exactly what I had been looking for on the Hulu site. I never came across it, which is the reason for my original question.

It's unfortunate that there is no one size fits all with these services and not one of them have pricing attractive enough to really compete with cable or satellite. The only real upside that I can see is that there is no contract.

post #56 of 90 Old 03-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This screen shot for no ads pricing is exactly what I had been looking for on the Hulu site. I never came across it, which is the reason for my original question.

It's unfortunate that there is no one size fits all with these services and not one of them have pricing attractive enough to really compete with cable or satellite. The only real upside that I can see is that there is no contract.

I logged into account on mobile device, click [Manage] Hulu Base Plan (in Your Subscription)>>expand [View additional plans].

Scroll for add-ons.

post #57 of 90 Old 05-07-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I recently ended my Dish subscription and been very happy with Hulu plus Amazon, HBO, Netflix and Funimation. Wish I had an easy way to combine locals and NFL Redzone but that won’t be a problem for a few months.
post #58 of 90 Old 05-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

HULU Live TV + Roku Hint:

The only problem I've had with Hulu + Live tv, is with using it with my Roku. When using the channel guide, you can't hold the arrow down/up button and fast scroll the channel guide. You CAN do this with an Apple tv 4k. It's nice. You can scroll from top to bottom in less than 2-3 seconds. But with the Roku, it's push the down/up button one click for one line entry.

However; if INSTEAD of clicking on the live guide, if you click on BROWSE, then Networks, then LIVE; you'll get all of the channels listed, with a description of the program. And your roku remote WILL LET YOU scroll Down/up fast. The only drawback is you can't see what's on NEXT. But at least it's a good work around for scrolling the channel guide. I only use the Roku for Hulu + Live tv for about an hour a night, before going to sleep. On my main tv, I use the apple tv 4k and it lets you fast scroll the regular channel guide.

Also with Apple tv 4k; the app is updated; possibly beta; but it lets you see up to 24 hours into the future on the channel guide. With Roku, you can only see what is on NEXT.

Michael

post #59 of 90 Old 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was interested in Hulu live TV until I heard that the Hulu live app does not work on my Sony OLED 2018 model TV. I want to be able to stream TV directly thru my hardwired TV instead of another device. Does anyone know if this is still the case with Sony OLED TV's and the Hulu app?
post #60 of 90 Old 05-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitsone View Post
I was interested in Hulu live TV until I heard that the Hulu live app does not work on my Sony OLED 2018 model TV. I want to be able to stream TV directly thru my hardwired TV instead of another device. Does anyone know if this is still the case with Sony OLED TV's and the Hulu app?
Not sure if the app is good on the Sony or not; but why wouldn't you want to use an external device like Roku or apple tv. An external device is ALWAYS BETTER than an internal tv or dvd player app. I know there's people out there that say they want just the one device, but with today's home video/audio, most people use a universal remote control to run everything anyway. This makes "Simplicity" a non factor for using an internal app like hulu.

An external device like roku or apple tv has better flexibility, better quality, easier to troubleshoot, you can easily reboot it if needed. (TV, you have to unplug the tv's power to do a 100% complete reboot of anything). External streamers are small; can even be hidden; don't require extra cables if you don't want them; more reliable; very inexpensive; plus you get the added benefit of literally THOUSANDS of other apps to watch. e.g. Roku has MORE than 8,000 apps you can watch. THOUSANDS of them are FREE.

I never liked or wanted an "ALL IN ONE TV/DVD/VCR Player" or all in one CABLE/DSL MODEM/ROUTER; or all in one "STEREO/CASSETTE/CD/TURNTABLE", etc. and I definitely don't want an all in one tv with streaming apps. I have 4 tv's in my house that we watch regularly. ALL 4 have built in apps. And 3 of the 4 I have external streaming devices connected to them. Roku Ultra, Roku Stick, and Apple tv 4k. The 4th tv in the kitchen, we only watch OTA Local Stations on. It CAN run apps, but we wouldn't even consider it. TOO SLOW; Poor Quality; etc.

Sorry I don't have an answer about your sony and hulu live tv; but those serious about tv would never use the internal apps if they have a choice. OH, and for what it's worth, ONLY consider a Roku or Apple tv. Don't go with a Firestick. WAY TOO MANY Problems. There are other choices too; but if you knew about those, and their capabilities, then you wouldn't even be considering using a tv's internal apps. You'd already know the benefits of an external device "If you were looking at Nvidia Shield or Chromecasting. But a good external device is a Roku Stick for HD; Roku Stick+ for HD/HDR/4k. Or if you're into itunes/iphones/apple, then nothing is better than the apple tv 4k.

Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
cloud dvr , Hulu , live tv , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page