Hulu Live TV Streaming Service Launched in Beta - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #61 of 90 Old 05-12-2019, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I may get the Shield, I have heard that it streams things like YouTube TV and Netflix and other apps better than the TV's internal apps. I wanted to get something that I can load Android apps on so N Shield maybe my choice. I read that I can get every streaming app I need on it, except Hulu live TV, so I guess I maybe going with YouTube live TV so I can get rid of Direct TV finally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 05-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitsone View Post
I may get the Shield, I have heard that it streams things like YouTube TV and Netflix and other apps better than the TV's internal apps. I wanted to get something that I can load Android apps on so N Shield maybe my choice. I read that I can get every streaming app I need on it, except Hulu live TV, so I guess I maybe going with YouTube live TV so I can get rid of Direct TV finally.
EVERY external streaming device streams apps better than a tv's internal apps. That's a no brainer. People who visit forums, generally are not novices. Especially if they visit AVSforum. We go for the best video and audio that we can afford and physically install. AVR's are better than sound bars. OLED is better than LED. And external streaming devices are ALWAYS better than a built in tv or dvd player app.

As for the shield; it's great. But ONLY if you're really into Kodi, plex, PC gaming and you want to use the shield as a hub, etc. Different people have different requirements. If all I care about is streaming video, then I'm going to choose Roku or Apple tv. Both are great and both have their advantages. Actually, I use BOTH. On my main tv I even have BOTH connected. People who are really into streaming, use Roku and Apple tv. I don't like Android, Chrome, or Amazon. Therefor, shield, Chromecast/cube, Fire stick/cube, are NOT in my collection. I've tried them all. While all have their pros and cons; Roku and Apple tv have MORE Pros and LESS cons. Especially for compatibility.

But, if you have special needs, and you want android/Shield, go for it. It's definitely the best of the rest. But I'll take an ETHERNET Roku Ultra or Apple tv 4k over ANYTHING else. And definitely ethernet. Remember; WIFI is not there because it's BETTER. It's there for convenience. For people who don't know how to get an ethernet to work. WIFI is made for the Plug&PRAY generation. In the world of streaming; especially video; always use ethernet if you have the chance.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #63 of 90 Old 06-20-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I'm confused as I am seeing conflicting reports. When it came down to choosing a streaming service, we narrowed it to Hulu w/ Live TV vs PlayStation Vue. PS Vue won out because they had the NFL Network and with that the ability to get the Redzone channel. On Hulu's site, there is no mention of the NFL Network, yet when doing a search it is saying they do have it.

Which one is correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 90 Old 09-01-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I have a Roku 4640 Ultra and I subscribe to "Hulu +Live TV (with Enhanced DVR)" I find that with the Ultra I'm unable to Fast Forward (or commercial skip) an ongoing recording (chase play) but with my 2 Roku Expresses and the apps built into my TVs, I am able to. Any ideas?

Last edited by JimLely; 09-02-2019 at 09:10 AM.
post #65 of 90 Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Issues across the country with Hulu. Missing guide data and unable to tune into stations. Seems to have stabilized now.
post #66 of 90 Old 11-15-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Hulu Live is going up $10 in December. I just moved over from PSVue and really like it. Even with this cost hike it'll still be around the same cost as PSVue so I'm not going upset about it.
post #67 of 90 Old 11-15-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
Hulu Live is going up $10 in December. I just moved over from PSVue and really like it. Even with this cost hike it'll still be around the same cost as PSVue so I'm not going upset about it.

I received an e-mail from them also with the $10 price increase. I formerly had PS Vue and had Hulu (no Ads) + Live TV for a month for $50. Tried You Tube TV with their 2 week trial and found it better than Hulu TV (better DVR and much better picture quality). So in my case its bye bye Hulu Live TV and staying with You Tube TV.
Plager8 likes this.
post #68 of 90 Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3675
And when You Tube Live raises prices there will no place left to run. Google haters will have a field day.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #69 of 90 Old 11-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I got the email Friday regarding the price increase too. Needless to say, I was shocked at the level of the price increase. Today is my birthday and I just got a "Wishing You the Happiest of Birthdays From Your Friends at Hulu" email from Hulu. Forgive me for saying that it rings a little hollow.

On a more serious note, I have this Hulu Live account set up for my elderly Mom. I don't use it. I had her switch from basic non-DVR Dish to Hulu to save some money (she pays the bill) and she really likes Hulu now that she's had a chance to live with it for awhile. To me though, the price increase is extreme, going from $45 to $55. I've had Dish for many years and am used to the occasional (occasional being every few years or so) $3 to $5 price increase, but never $10 at one time! I wish I could have her drop the Live part of Hulu so she could save a bunch of money, but she wants her locals. Note that she can get locals over the air, but I literally cannot get her to understand that she needs to switch inputs on her TV to do this. I know it sounds crazy, but those of you who have elderly parents may understand. I may check out a free trial of Google TV to see if I think it's something she could do. $5 is $5.
post #70 of 90 Old 11-20-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Is any one using Hulu Live on Apple TV? I’m switching from Vue which had a rock solid app. Hulu has two major flaws for me that I’d like too confirm.

1.) at the end of every show the show info pops up and the video goes back a few seconds. It’s extremely annoying.

2.) choosing a show in the guide works about 50% of the time. It goes to a back screen and clocks like its loading but nothing happens. If I go choose another channel, it usually works. I can go back the first failed channel and it will be fine. It’s not bandwidth...I have gig internet confirmed at ATV. It’s also not just on 1 ATV, it’s all of them.
post #71 of 90 Old 01-05-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Recently switched to Hulu Live from PlayStation Vue as the latter is going away at the end of the month.

Quick question. I noticed during the commercials breaks on live TV the word Advertisement shows up in the upper left corner. What's that about? Is there a reason why that has to be visible?
post #72 of 90 Old 01-07-2020, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Recently switched to Hulu Live from PlayStation Vue as the latter is going away at the end of the month.

Quick question. I noticed during the commercials breaks on live TV the word Advertisement shows up in the upper left corner. What's that about? Is there a reason why that has to be visible?
It's just how their software flags it. If you watch a show on Hulu's VOD you get an advertising count down timer but with live the system doesn't know how long the ads are. In time you may not see advertisement on the screen with live material. Hulu's software is still considered to be in beta testing as is most of their competitors. In the meantime, let Hulu know what you don't like.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #73 of 90 Old 01-10-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hopefully you, or someone can help answer this next question about advertisements. It's in regards to the DVR.

I had programs recorded from ABC, CBS, and NBC. On the CBS & NBC recordings, there were no ads and I was able to FF through all the commercials. On ABC though, it was ads galore. Why is that? Does it have something to do with Disney owning ABC and Hulu, thus forcing their ads on us even through the DVR?

I'm not going to break down and do it, but I can see why some may pay that extra $12 for no ads. It's one thing to have them in the On Demand programs, but on a DVR recording is ridiculous.
post #74 of 90 Old 01-11-2020, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Hopefully you, or someone can help answer this next question about advertisements. It's in regards to the DVR.

I had programs recorded from ABC, CBS, and NBC. On the CBS & NBC recordings, there were no ads and I was able to FF through all the commercials. On ABC though, it was ads galore. Why is that? Does it have something to do with Disney owning ABC and Hulu, thus forcing their ads on us even through the DVR?

I'm not going to break down and do it, but I can see why some may pay that extra $12 for no ads. It's one thing to have them in the On Demand programs, but on a DVR recording is ridiculous.
I don't know how they decide what does and what doesn't, but it does probably depend on the network and whatever deal they have with Hulu. I have the no commercial plan with Hulu Live and anytime I record something on Bravo to watch the day after it aired I cannot fast forward through commercials and there is a countdown timer for them.
post #75 of 90 Old 01-11-2020, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Angry

I recently cut the cord. I have Netflix & Prime. Decided to try Hulu Live TV (No Commercial). All I get is commercials. All I want for live TV is Fox News, CNBC & Weather Channel in Dolby 5.1. Well what I got was NO WEATHER CHANNEL & and a bunch of $%^#&%# commercials. While local cable TV was crazy expensive I figured I could get those 4 things in a streaming. So far I have failed. I first looked at YouTube TV but everything was in stereo. I stream on ATVs and LG Tvs.

Any thoughts?

M
post #76 of 90 Old 01-11-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitechicguy View Post
I don't know how they decide what does and what doesn't, but it does probably depend on the network and whatever deal they have with Hulu. I have the no commercial plan with Hulu Live and anytime I record something on Bravo to watch the day after it aired I cannot fast forward through commercials and there is a countdown timer for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetX View Post
I recently cut the cord. I have Netflix & Prime. Decided to try Hulu Live TV (No Commercial). All I get is commercials. All I want for live TV is Fox News, CNBC & Weather Channel in Dolby 5.1. Well what I got was NO WEATHER CHANNEL & and a bunch of $%^#&%# commercials. While local cable TV was crazy expensive I figured I could get those 4 things in a streaming. So far I have failed. I first looked at YouTube TV but everything was in stereo. I stream on ATVs and LG Tvs.

Any thoughts?
How can they justify charging people then for this No Ads plan if they still show them?
post #77 of 90 Old 01-11-2020, 11:03 AM

I talked to Hulu and the no commercials applies to the normal content, not the Live TV. I did not ask them about the DVR no Commercials. If they just had the weather channel I would be happy. I say that as here in the south east a very sever storm system is moving by.

M
post #78 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
I talked to Hulu and the no commercials applies to the normal content, not the Live TV. I did not ask them about the DVR no Commercials. If they just had the weather channel I would be happy. I say that as here in the south east a very sever storm system is moving by.

M

In order to get Hulu live with no ads on your DVR programs you have to pay an extra $9.99/month. I’m making the switch to streamed live TV and I’ve tried them all except for FUBO because they don’t have my locals except for NBC. Hulu has mine except for ABC but the dealbreaker for me is the extra $9.99 for no ads on DVR shows. It’s already more expensive than YouTubeTV by $5.

So I’m rolling with YouTube TV on a two week trial before making a decision but I’m very confident that YouTubeTV is gonna be my choice. It has all of my locals and the unlimited fast forward enabled DVR by default. My only gripe with it is no Paramount or NFL Network. I really wish they’d sell a stand-alone NFL network. I need all locals for football season except for ABC. I just can’t justify paying Hulu more even though it comes with their base content then an extra $9.99 on top of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #79 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 04:14 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
In order to get Hulu live with no ads on your DVR programs you have to pay an extra $9.99/month. I’m making the switch to streamed live TV and I’ve tried them all except for FUBO because they don’t have my locals except for NBC. Hulu has mine except for ABC but the dealbreaker for me is the extra $9.99 for no ads on DVR shows. It’s already more expensive than YouTubeTV by $5.

So I’m rolling with YouTube TV on a two week trial before making a decision but I’m very confident that YouTubeTV is gonna be my choice. It has all of my locals and the unlimited fast forward enabled DVR by default. My only gripe with it is no Paramount or NFL Network. I really wish they’d sell a stand-alone NFL network. I need all locals for football season except for ABC. I just can’t justify paying Hulu more even though it comes with their base content then an extra $9.99 on top of it.

Youtube is great if you want "STEREO" audio

M
post #80 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Hulu Live TV Streaming Service Launched in Beta

Quote:
Youtube is great if you want "STEREO" audio

M

Hulu’s live TV channels all have 5.1 available? Not worth the extra $15 a month for that feature alone to me but makes it not as bad if so. If they picked up ABC local for me along with NFL Network then I’d strongly consider it but as it stands far too overpriced for me.

Sure the 5.1 is better but in reality if I’m just watching a TV show I don’t really care all that much. Anything I’m serous about watching I’m not watching on a broadcast unless it’s a live event. The live TV for me is just for sports mostly. Kids shows and HGTV and similar things. If I’m watching a movie it’s not on a live TV service. I’ll watch other network TV shows that I’m interested in via their own on demand apps that give out multi channel audio the day after they air so that’s not an issue for me.

For those of you that consume the bulk of your content on live TV then sure it makes sense to want the better audio. Just not worth the premium to me.

post #81 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Any thoughts?

M
FireTv stick has some of those news channels, and in DD, just have to set the sound in the stick, I watch Netflix and Prime in DD 5.1
And put up an outdoor antenna to you TV. All or most channels are in 5.1 DD.
Depending on where you are, we get 48 channels OTA. I run WMC for windows 10, and still can record all local channels.
Weather channel live. cant help with there as I dont know. I have watched it on their own website, when you select videos, it constantly plays all the clips.
post #82 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 05:55 AM

Unsure where you get $15 difference. Maybe $10, but if you have a decent theatre setup then it matters. IMHO

M
post #83 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unsure where you get $15 difference. Maybe $10, but if you have a decent theatre setup then it matters. IMHO

M

$5 more base for Hulu then another $10 for the decent DVR upgrade. I have a decent setup but for broadcast TV it really doesn’t matter to me. I’m just saying for me it’s not worth the extra money but for some that watch mostly broadcast TV it could be.

post #84 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
HULU LIVE+

How many 'users' at one time on a Roku device? Do all users share the single DVR or are there a couple available. They mention 1 'network' device but if a person selected an 'upstate' NY for local 'network' would another Roku device on a network connection in say DC get it all except the NY locals? FAQS hint it would need to be a 'mobile device'.

I've not tried it and I've no interest unless I can 'share' with a niece in upstate NY. Locals don't interest me - I'm interested in primarily another movie option.

Last edited by WVZR1; 01-14-2020 at 02:48 PM.
post #85 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 04:02 PM

I splurged and got Hulu unlimited & DVR upgrade. Cost me $70 a month. You get unlimited device in your home and up to 3 external devices. I run 5 ATVs & 2 LG Smart TVs and one Samsung Smart TV all 4K TVs. Hulu works really well on ATV and when I travel I usually take a ATV with me. Forgot about the Fire Stick 4K I will have to see if Hulu works well on it.

M
tenthplanet likes this.
post #86 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I splurged and got Hulu unlimited & DVR upgrade. Cost me $70 a month. You get unlimited device in your home and up to 3 external devices. I run 5 ATVs & 2 LG Smart TVs and one Samsung Smart TV all 4K TVs. Hulu works really well on ATV and when I travel I usually take a ATV with me. Forgot about the Fire Stick 4K I will have to see if Hulu works well on it.

M

You won’t be able to use the Apple TV with Hulu live when traveling because according to their policies it’s a living room device. You can basically only use phones and tablets when traveling. That’s another reason I decided on YouTube TV. I don’t know if you can cast from your phone to a TV when traveling with Hulu. If so that may work.

post #87 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
You won’t be able to use the Apple TV with Hulu live when traveling because according to their policies it’s a living room device. You can basically only use phones and tablets when traveling. That’s another reason I decided on YouTube TV. I don’t know if you can cast from your phone to a TV when traveling with Hulu. If so that may work.

I did try to travel with TV devices when subscribed to Hulu Live TV (Roku and Fire TV). Back in 2018, Hulu allowed 4 moves per year. One round trip was 2 moves though. Can't see taking Hulu on multiple trips though.

I complained about this and one Hulu agent told me it's not supposed to count as 2 moves if you're traveling and returning home; call and have it changed back to home before reconnecting TV devices. But also stressed there's no issue using a portable device like phone or tablet. Despite that, no one would credit the second move tallied against my 4 for the year. I didn't like the way Hulu was working then either. Hulu Live TV beta has improved a little since, I hear, but not as much as YouTube TV; friendlier terms now, than then. I did the YTTV 3 week trial in December and may switch to YouTube TV from DirecTV.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #88 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 416
And for $70 per month, I could have YTTV plus Philo. Unlimited DVR for every channel and show. I'm thinking of starting the Philo trial soon while deciding what to with DirecTV.

post #89 of 90 Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
And for $70 per month, I could have YTTV plus Philo. Unlimited DVR for every channel and show. I'm thinking of starting the Philo trial soon while deciding what to with DirecTV.

I myself am coming from directv. Was sampling Hulu, YouTube and Fubo. FUBO only has my NBC, Hulu is missing my ABC and YouTube has all of my locals. The only channels missing from YouTube TV for me are Paramount and NFL Network both of which FUBO has. If they had my locals that’s probably what I’d be using.

For the most part the channels are roughly the same with a few different. For me Hulu charges too much for what they offer compared to YouTube TV even if they have 5.1 sound. Maybe if they picked up NFL Network and ABC I’d reconsider. Who knows when if ever FUBO will get my locals.

I live too far away to get OTA from my local channels else I’d probably do that. I’ve been impressed with YouTube TV since trying it. It switches channels instantly, is well laid out and has far less restrictions than the others.

On the plus side, since none of these are contracted I’ll be able to revisit each one as they change and add new things.

post #90 of 90 Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 AM
dfp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've tried 3 other services and have some questions re Hulu Live TV:

1. Can you set the DVR to record only one episode of an upcoming show and not the entire series?

Coming from cable, it's nice to see only one New episode in our recordings, and not have to sort through dozens of reruns.

2. Can you fast forward thru commercials on a Live TV show you've recorded on the DVR, if you buy the "No commercials" option? Or does that option only apply to on demand content? If on demand only, how long is the wait until a Live show is on demand?

I've seen several different answers on what "no commercials" means regarding Hulu Live TV.

3. Is the new 2-week TV guide available on Roku, or just the web version? Can you set up an episode to record from the entry in the guide?

This is also a feature of cable services. I think that if streaming services would add these features, the general populace would flock to them. Watching TV should be easy.

Thank you.

Last edited by dfp; 01-22-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
cloud dvr , Hulu , live tv , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page