Hulu Live TV Streaming Service Launched in Beta - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 90 Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4915
Hulu Live TV Streaming Service Launched in Beta

The Hulu Live TV streaming service offers more than 50 live-TV channels and cloud-based DVR recording on certain platforms, with more to come.

https://www.avsforum.com/hulu-live-tv...launched-beta/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5586 Post(s)
Liked: 3993
Kind of disappointing that you can only have 2 devices streaming at one time per account.
post #3 of 90 Old 05-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Very dissapointed that Dolby Digital audio is still not available with this service. I can't wrap my head around why that is.
djenzo likes this.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 Old 05-05-2017, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So, no DD and I'm assuming no 4k, all for only 40 bucks a month!
djenzo likes this.

---
LG OLED65C6P
Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Denon X4300H + Outlaw 2200 (Center)
Klipsch RP-250F, RP-450C - Dual PB-1000 Subs - Onkyo Satellites
post #5 of 90 Old 05-06-2017, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgrin View Post
Sounds like PS Vue is still a better overall deal, plus their platform is stable. Not crazy about paying Hulu extra for their DVR service in order to skip commercials.
post #6 of 90 Old 05-06-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Walking Dead !

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #7 of 90 Old 05-06-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgrin View Post
What networks broadcast in 4k
post #8 of 90 Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hulu live is no different than cable. Charging $15 a month for a Dvr= renting a cable box. I'll stick with Vue.
post #9 of 90 Old 05-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I thought I was getting HULU and TV package for $40 I'm in THEN!! I pay $55 now for my basic Dish which I only use to watch NBA and UFC in HD with DVR that's not buggy like when I tried VUE. Everything looks better on BLU!!

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
post #10 of 90 Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 863
What I'm really looking for is a hybrid of the current model for Hulu. Basically a full On Demand library of all content.....with no commercials. I'd pay for that assuming it was a reduced cost. I don't want/need any of the Live TV or DVR right now as we have Comcast for that.

-Kevin
post #11 of 90 Old 06-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
What I'm really looking for is a hybrid of the current model for Hulu. Basically a full On Demand library of all content.....with no commercials. I'd pay for that assuming it was a reduced cost. I don't want/need any of the Live TV or DVR right now as we have Comcast for that.

-Kevin
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Hulu does offer a commercial free subscription. I believe it's $11.99/month.

post #12 of 90 Old 06-01-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Hulu does offer a commercial free subscription. I believe it's $11.99/month.
The $11.99 non TV plan doesn't have access to all the same on demand library as when you subscribe to the TV plan. For example, you can watch the entire season of The Americans with the TV plan, but it's not available on the non TV plan.

I'd like on demand access for everything, no commercials with no TV or DvR.

-Kevin
post #13 of 90 Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The $11.99 non TV plan doesn't have access to all the same on demand library as when you subscribe to the TV plan. For example, you can watch the entire season of The Americans with the TV plan, but it's not available on the non TV plan.

-Kevin
Got it. That would be a nice offering. Thank you for the clarification.

post #14 of 90 Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Kind of disappointing that you can only have 2 devices streaming at one time per account.
You can pay extra (14.98) to have unlimited at home and up to 3 mobile devices
post #15 of 90 Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Sounds like PS Vue is still a better overall deal, plus their platform is stable. Not crazy about paying Hulu extra for their DVR service in order to skip commercials.
We watch very little live.
I'll start watching a sporting event 30-60 minutes after it starts -FF thru commercials and be caught up live before the end of the event.
For favorite network programs, we will watch when it is convenient. We like the ability to be able to pause if the phone rings, need a bathroom break etc.
post #16 of 90 Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just went to the HULU website. There are only a few devices that now support their live TV service. The most requested item that users are posting is support for Roku.
Among the few devices that are now supported, is chromecast. It would seem you would need another device to cast to the chrome cast.
post #17 of 90 Old 11-28-2017, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been on for a week now - I had to upgrade both my Roku's . Anyways I really only wanted a couple local stations so I could drop my Cable's $40 a month charge for basic. I already had Hulu+ so I save a bit and get some additional channels. I was pleasantly surprised to get CBS shows now - I used to have to rip them from the CBS website. Also don't have to hunt in "dark" places anymore for the Syfy shows. DVR service works but is poorly implemented - fills up with watched shows and crap I never wanted.

Anyways is there a better place to discuss this service? Hulu shut down their user forums in 2014 I think :/ . I did find this official suggestion board: https://hulu.uservoice.com/
post #18 of 90 Old 11-28-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkimball View Post
I've been on for a week now - I had to upgrade both my Roku's . Anyways I really only wanted a couple local stations so I could drop my Cable's $40 a month charge for basic. I already had Hulu+ so I save a bit and get some additional channels. I was pleasantly surprised to get CBS shows now - I used to have to rip them from the CBS website. Also don't have to hunt in "dark" places anymore for the Syfy shows. DVR service works but is poorly implemented - fills up with watched shows and crap I never wanted.

Anyways is there a better place to discuss this service? Hulu shut down their user forums in 2014 I think :/ . I did find this official suggestion board: https://hulu.uservoice.com/
Curious.....I'm pretty sure that the Hulu Live TV is still only 30fps? Whereas their OnDemand content is 1080p60. With CBS, do you have to DVR a show to have OnDemand access? Or is the CBS onDemand catalog fully available after a show airs? We only subscribe to Hulu+ and are really missing CBS OnDemand.
post #19 of 90 Old 11-28-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Curious.....I'm pretty sure that the Hulu Live TV is still only 30fps? Whereas their OnDemand content is 1080p60. With CBS, do you have to DVR a show to have OnDemand access? Or is the CBS onDemand catalog fully available after a show airs? We only subscribe to Hulu+ and are really missing CBS OnDemand.
To tell you the truth 480p30 is fine for me. I wish Hulu had some way to set it down to that. My old Roku's could be set to 480P but the new ones only go down to 720p .

There is no CBS "on Demand" but if you add a CBS show to "MyStuff" it automagically records future shows (plus any repeats on other channels ). The way that works is quite wonky and confusticating but it does work (assuming you get a local CBS channel in Hulu Live). There is ZERO documentation about any of this even now . Not for the faint of heart. OTOH I was an early adopter of Hulu (and the Roku before that) so will see if I can survive it LOL.
post #20 of 90 Old 11-28-2017, 03:52 PM

BTW "live" TV seems to have about a one minute lag. Doesn't bother me though.
post #21 of 90 Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Been an early adopter of Hulu Live TV when I got rid of Sling. The Sling model that doesn't include ESPN and Fox in the same package just didn't work eventually, and the app was hella buggy on my devices. Had a Hulu paid subscription for years.

I'm wavering about ditching Hulu for Youtube TV. I like a lot about Hulu...mainly the value proposition. I'm paying like $43 for Live TV + Hulu no commercials. I like some of their original content, and my daughter heavily uses the on-demand regular Hulu to watch network shows after the fact.

I don't like the interface, but I can lump it, it's not a deal breaker. But the 30fps is just about getting to me, with the amount of sports I watch. I'd like to start seeing 60fps on some channels. I end up getting the most value out of simply using my Hulu subscription to activate the native channels for ESPN, etc.

I'm also pretty disappointed in the way the DVR works, as someone mentioned.

Vue and DTVN would be $10+ more expensive to get the channels I'm looking for, if I hold the Hulu basic subscription, which I would. Which means only $35 Youtube might be a substitute without paying more.
post #22 of 90 Old 05-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

-Kevin
Awesome idea, but no. Affordability doesn't factor either when having to compound commercial free options for on-demand and enhanced DVR and still have to endure some ads, even when delayed in live buffer. This introduces an undesired situation where the user feels like they're paying for ads. For clarification, please read and vote for my idea just posted on voice of Hulu below:
https://hulu.uservoice.com/forums/59...fer-delay-rewi

Quote:

-Kevin
Hulu may only have the current season for many TV shows not included in on-demand.

It should be noted that if recording to skip commercials, you may not get best resolution on first run episodes. As you pointed out, CBS may be an outlier here.

Disappointing that there's no all inclusive plan out there. If Hulu was more affordable, maybe combining Hulu Live TV with Netflix and CBS All Access comes close but costs of premium add-ons and missing channels are hindering even that possibility. I wish there was a better option.

Quote:
Just this weekend, I noticed a recording had recorded in 60p noted by my TV INFO button (ATV4K with framerate matching works in Hulu- the only SDR app I'm aware of that natively framerate matches with Apple TV). I'm not sure if it was 1080p though. This recording was NASCAR Monster energy Cup race recorded on local FOX network. Strange that I had to "move" to login when travelling and viewing on my AFTV3.

The race also recorded in Phoenix where I traveled; used one of my 4 home add changes to do so. Having said that, Hulu says they'll change home address back to your home without incurring a charge against the 4 possible annual moves. I told Hulu support that the day I cannot watch Hulu whether home or away is the day I cancel service.

All current issues may have me canceling before my billing on May 17th. May go back to Hulu on-demand commercial free option only and try other free trials.

I have yet to trial PSVue or Sling. Currently testing DTVN beta for DVR but I wish that would just go public because DTVN didn't plan to beta test the pause live feature until after beta. Hard to tell what experience the DVR add-on would offer, testing without pause live TV.

To ALL still following or reading this thread, please visit my Hulu suggestion posted above and vote and add comments. There seems to be a recent policy change impacting my viewing experience right now... I thought it was manageable but was requiring CSR support to periodically fix my issue. Now I'm being told there's no fix; works as intended. That would be a deal breaker for me. I had hoped for stability in recording live events but it's been a week to week calamity that still needs remedy.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #23 of 90 Old 05-01-2018, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

^^^ I hope I haven't used too many words ^^^ to explain the shortcomings I'm experiencing. To me they're complex so I wanted to convey them in detail to Hulu.

CSR and tier 2 support have corresponded together on many of my calls to Hulu.

I think Hulu knows my complaints but the up votes may also help to make the point I'm expressing. Please read.

post #24 of 90 Old 05-01-2018, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Awesome idea, but no. Affordability doesn't factor either when having to compound commercial free options for on-demand and enhanced DVR and still have to endure some ads, even when delayed in live buffer. This introduces an undesired situation where the user feels like they're paying for ads. For clarification, please read and vote for my idea just posted on voice of Hulu below:

Hulu may only have the current season for many TV shows not included in on-demand.

It should be noted that if recording to skip commercials, you may not get best resolution on first run episodes. As you pointed out, CBS may be an outlier here.

Disappointing that there's no all inclusive plan out there. If Hulu was more affordable, maybe combining Hulu Live TV with Netflix and CBS All Access comes close but costs of premium add-ons and missing channels are hindering even that possibility. I wish there was a better option.

Just this weekend, I noticed a recording had recorded in 60p noted by my TV INFO button (ATV4K with framerate matching works in Hulu- the only SDR app I'm aware of that natively framerate matches with Apple TV). I'm not sure if it was 1080p though. This recording was NASCAR Monster energy Cup race recorded on local FOX network. Strange that I had to "move" to login when travelling and viewing on my AFTV3.

The race also recorded in Phoenix where I traveled; used one of my 4 home add changes to do so. Having said that, Hulu says they'll change home address back to your home without incurring a charge against the 4 possible annual moves. I told Hulu support that the day I cannot watch Hulu whether home or away is the day I cancel service.

All current issues may have me canceling before my billing on May 17th. May go back to Hulu on-demand commercial free option only and try other free trials.

I have yet to trial PSVue or Sling. Currently testing DTVN beta for DVR but I wish that would just go public because DTVN didn't plan to beta test the pause live feature until after beta. Hard to tell what experience the DVR add-on would offer, testing without pause live TV.

To ALL still following or reading this thread, please visit my Hulu suggestion posted above and vote and add comments. There seems to be a recent policy change impacting my viewing experience right now... I thought it was manageable but was requiring CSR support to periodically fix my issue. Now I'm being told there's no fix; works as intended. That would be a deal breaker for me. I had hoped for stability in recording live events but it's been a week to week calamity that still needs remedy.

Nice writeup, thanks for posting. I did read your idea and voted for it. Seems they are really inconsistent at this point. Hulu has also had some big outages for us the last few months......lots of people take to twitter to blast them for that.

We are still with Comcast cable and have the Hulu No Commercial plan for everything but CBS, TBS, etc. I figure I probably won't make any big cuts until the end of this year when our contract runs out. Really wish Comcast would just up the quality of channels.....they really do look like garbage on a 4K set.
brotony likes this.
post #25 of 90 Old 05-01-2018, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nice writeup, thanks for posting. I did read your idea and voted for it. Seems they are really inconsistent at this point. Hulu has also had some big outages for us the last few months......lots of people take to twitter to blast them for that.

We are still with Comcast cable and have the Hulu No Commercial plan for everything but CBS, TBS, etc. I figure I probably won't make any big cuts until the end of this year when our contract runs out. Really wish Comcast would just up the quality of channels.....they really do look like garbage on a 4K set.
Thanks for voting!

post #26 of 90 Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

The suggestion I posted below is no longer public accessible. I call this censorship but if what I was getting told at the time by Hulu tier 2 support that encouraged my entry was incorrect, maybe it's easier to accept the move to private tech forum.

I asked, shouldn't this have been denoted as working on it rather than being pulled from viewers' view? Answer: tech team pulls from DVR | record entries regularly. This is normal; not censorship, possibly votes or comments would compel this action.

I have mixed feelings about this but thought I'd explain why the link no longer gets to my suggestion.

Thanks to any or all that voted or commented. I'm under the impression it didn't remain in public view long enough to get many votes or comments.

post #27 of 90 Old 05-06-2018, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

^^^ Link still broke but appears the bad behavior I was complaining about got resolved. ^^^

An update:

At least this weekend the commercials in delayed live buffer while recording live NASCAR race were in fact skipable as previous weeks I noted before last weekend.

Saturday's xfinity race didn't record. Hulu says it was a FS1 channel momentary outage that caused that but like before, the missed recording also included sports tab clearing out of all added series in the my stuff sports tab. I had to add those back again and yet again when a recording started, it didn't show red and recording status until I added to my stuff (again) and exited view to see status change. This is trickier than it should be.

Like I said before, there's no clear way to watch what's actually being recorded but I can fumble through the UI and manage with NASCAR recordings. And not all sporting events allow restart to beginning of live events but NASCAR again is an exception. I still think these are bugs in need of a remedy. From reading the voice of Hulu entries, these issues are still ongoing.

post #28 of 90 Old 06-14-2018, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

I cancelled my voice of Hulu notifications and placed my Hulu account on indefinite hold until things improve.

I was told that NASCAR had to be added to DVR as record everything. Individual recordings of live events shouldn't be expected to be recorded. That's fine but I dislike managing unwanted recordings since there's a cloud storage limit. With PSVue, no DVR management of watched or unwanted recordings is required.

The Hulu Live TV enhanced DVR is too expensive if there's an economical alternative. Actually, I can name 3: PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV and Fubo TV. Outside of terms, the first two are virtually unlimited DVR capacity. Fubo is 30 hours included in base plans and a premium extended capacity DVR that isn't too unreasonable but falls short of unlimited.

Quality and remote interface is very good with Hulu but overall UI and vision for live TV is lacking. I understand there's now a more universal guide but unsure of what platforms and apps are seeing a guide right now. That isn't as important as the premium cost of enhanced DVR cost with limited storage.

I switched to PlayStation Vue but also did a Fubo TV trial. Both are nicer regarding recordings without premium add-ons with similar channel lineup. For me, I noticed Fubo had History Channel, PSVue did not. PSVue has Discovery Science channel in all plans but many don't offer or place that channel in a higher tier. Bonus for PSVue and Science channel fans.

If Hulu Live improves standard DVR or adjusts pricing more competitively, I'd like to know about it. I just feel the ad strategy, hiding recordings in progress, cost of enhanced DVR, saying some commercials cannot be skipped (everyone including CSRs seem confused about ads and skipping) and channel lineup vs overall cost is too much to ask for continued patronage at this time.

A recent reorg article mentioned something about premium ads? Previous reports mentioned ad opportunities and emphasized ad experience (maybe ad experience was YouTube TV?). And what is customer journey? That may have been a focus on user retention so maybe not a bad intent description. But honestly, it's not repetitive ads but multiple ads that ruin TV; don't go ruining DVR function too. I think it's selfish for corp execs to try to spin ads as an opportunity when DVR should ffw on user demand.

I was also under the impression that all channels could restart current program but that appears to be PSVue unless I missed another. I think Fubo allowed it but unsure now. Anyway, if the restart of current show won't allow commercial skip and DVR capacity is limited- that's a problem too. Another advantage to PSVue for many reasons. For now, I've moved on.

post #29 of 90 Old 06-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I pay for the enhanced DVR since I like to keep some shows until the season is over and then binge. There seems to be a DVR bug where older shows won't play for the DVR. Hulu support has opened a ticket on it but it has been over a week without a fix.

I chose Hulu because no other service gives a decent DVR. DirectTV has too little space. Sling won't record ESPN and some other channels. YouTubeTV replaces recording with OnDeman and no commercial skip, PS Vue's time limit is to short and doesn't have HGTV. Fubo doesn't have ESPN, CNN or commercial skip so Hulu is my only realistic choice. I hope the fix it.
post #30 of 90 Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post
I pay for the enhanced DVR since I like to keep some shows until the season is over and then binge. There seems to be a DVR bug where older shows won't play for the DVR. Hulu support has opened a ticket on it but it has been over a week without a fix.

I chose Hulu because no other service gives a decent DVR. DirectTV has too little space. Sling won't record ESPN and some other channels. YouTubeTV replaces recording with OnDeman and no commercial skip, PS Vue's time limit is to short and doesn't have HGTV. Fubo doesn't have ESPN, CNN or commercial skip so Hulu is my only realistic choice. I hope the fix it.
On YTTV some (most?) shows to go to an on-demand status almost a few hours after you record them. TBS does not and I don't think TCM does either. Even though we have unlimited recording, I would pay extra to be able to FF when I want.
I had my first glitch, today, in the seven months that I have had YTTV. Was watching MSNBC live and an error message popped up on the screen. There was a message on the screen that asks that I report the error code that was on the screen. I was immediately able to reload YTTV. I then reported the error.
Maybe Trump did not like that particular segment and blocked it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
cloud dvr , Hulu , live tv , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page