Poll: Are You Cutting the Cord on July 7, 2017? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Are you planning to cut the cord on July 7 2017?
I have already cut the cord 248 50.30%
It's the perfect day to cut the cord 12 2.43%
Too soon for me, but I plan on doing it eventually 122 24.75%
I like pay-TV service and plan to keep it 81 16.43%
I'm a cord-never! 30 6.09%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 160Likes

post #31 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I just care about sports too much to cut the cord (NFL is a must).
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I'm a huge sports fan so won't be cutting the cord any time soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
I am unfortunately a fan of all the major sports, so can't cut Fios TV......

The reason on why many peope still have cable. (Sports)...

Last edited by losservatore; 07-05-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I cut the cord back in 2016 and ended up coming back in 2017 because there still is no easy way to get everything I want via cord-cutting. I had direct TV and gigabit fiber from AT&T, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime, but figured I'd save the $70/mth of Directv by going to Sling. Great service and they even had all the sports I wanted via ESPN and some other channels, but the issue for me was during College Football season, I want to flick back and forth and watch a bunch of games at once. While it's doable, it's a bit of a PITA to do so as I'm switching from Sling to locals on the antenna and back again. Simply a smoother experience on Uverse.

Plus, having my cable, wireless and TV with one provider gave me some GREAT pricing, and to be honest, I haven't had any issues with AT&T re their service (Now Comcast on the other hand...)

Until I can cut the cord and have the same level of convenience that I currently enjoy with the big boys, then I'm staying corded.

Sony XBR75940E/ Marantz SR7012/Apple TV 4k/PS4 Pro/PC RTX 2080Ti (SLI)/Harmony Ultimate
post #33 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by khackshaw View Post
I cut the cord back in 2016 and ended up coming back in 2017 because there still is no easy way to get everything I want via cord-cutting. I had direct TV and gigabit fiber from AT&T, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime, but figured I'd save the $70/mth of Directv by going to Sling. Great service and they even had all the sports I wanted via ESPN and some other channels, but the issue for me was during College Football season, I want to flick back and forth and watch a bunch of games at once. While it's doable, it's a bit of a PITA to do so as I'm switching from Sling to locals on the antenna and back again. Simply a smoother experience on Uverse.

Plus, having my cable, wireless and TV with one provider gave me some GREAT pricing, and to be honest, I haven't had any issues with AT&T re their service (Now Comcast on the other hand...)

Until I can cut the cord and have the same level of convenience that I currently enjoy with the big boys, then I'm staying corded.
How about removing your face from the TV, there is many things you can do instead of becoming a vegetable glued to the tube.
thehun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec View Post
I cut the cord over a year ago, I get my local channels in HD over the air antenna, no problem watching the NFL on Sunday, every city carries their local team over the air, I have Verizon Fios, cut the cable TV and only kept the internet service for $58 a month which includes all the taxes, no need to pay for nothing but garbage they are feeding the masses.
So what do you do when you want to watch hockey, baseball and basketball? Go to a bar or friends house?

I am not a sports fanatic, I have a life, these overpaid athletes could care less about you, so you are paying all that money to watch a handful of channels, really, do you think the score would be different if you did not watch, you do know you can catch ALL your local teams on the radio, the radio is free. Once you cut the cord and get over your addiction you will be glad that you did.
rx3, stef2, Steelman99 and 1 others like this.
post #35 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Like the article mentioned, I'm stuck because cable/Dish/Direct is the only way I can get Root Sports PIT and watch Penguins hockey games (majority of them are on Root). To compound the situation, I'm forced on all 3 to buy a package three tiers up, on average, in order to get Root otherwise, I would either cut the cord or go with a base package.
post #36 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I really enjoyed my DirecTV service and I recently cut the cord back in June. I got tired of paying for channels that I wasn't watching. Now I just use Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu for everything. I save about $50 per month.
eljr likes this.
post #37 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 11916
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Cut the Cord 7 yrs ago. So happy services like Vue and Sling came about. They have all the good of cable without the b.s. fees and contracts.
i agree but even Sling upsets me as they do the package thing too. I use 1 channel regularly. Another occasionally. The rest never.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #38 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Silly Poll

This poll is silly.

Nobody is cutting their cord, they are just adjusting what they use it for.

If you switch from Cable TV to Netflix, you are just changing what you do over the same providers bandwidth that you already have. For instance I have Cox Digital Telephone and 100Mbps internet, but don't have Cable TV with them. I use OTA for network television to save a few dollars.

If enough people cancel their TV service the internet providers, most of which are cable companies, will raise their rates for internet service to compensate for their loss in Cable TV revenue. These companies still have a monopoly on our connection to the internet. Most areas only have one, or two, companies that provide high speed internet in their area. We truly have no choice in how we connect to the internet, you need your cord, or satellite internet in remote locations, to enjoy Netflix or other streaming services.

How many of you have truly cut your cord and live without the internet?

May be possible if you linked your laptop through your mobile phone hot spot if you are a very light internet user. However, you are not going to stream Netflix through a mobile hot spot!

I am afraid you still need your cord...

Later,

Tony
KidHorn, clarkss12 and Fizban19 like this.

post #39 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I am not a sports fanatic, I have a life, these overpaid athletes could care less about you, so you are paying all that money to watch a handful of channels, really, do you think the score would be different if you did not watch, you do know you can catch ALL your local teams on the radio, the radio is free. Once you cut the cord and get over your addiction you will be glad that you did.
how does one determine this?
stef2 and whatever_gong82 like this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #40 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Quote:
how does one determine this?
determine what.
stef2 likes this.
post #41 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I don't remember the last time I paid for Cable, about a year ago when I moved into a new state I needed to find a new ISP lo and behold only Xfinity (comcast) was in my area. They had a pretty good bundle deal that gave me 100Mbps plus TV and HBO it was basically the same price I was paying before only for internet. God what a mistake that was, the shameless fees for TV piled up and they wanted extra fees for HDTV, called them up on it and got all my money back. Ended up with only internet, never again comcast!!!!! never again!
post #42 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Not all of us live in an area that can receive OTA and fast internet.
For those of us we still need Dtv
Or, in my case, I switched from a bundle that included Verizon/CLink/DTV, and went to VZ on it's own (with their discount for paperless billing), and Suddenlink Cable (no OTA where I live...) and saved over 120 per month, and increased my internet speed from 6ish Mbps to 200 Mbps. Win win for me!

I'd love to cut it completely; however, like others have said, the 'bundle' I got (for TV/internet/phone) was less than internet alone...

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #43 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I will cut the cord on july 7th 2017. Overpaid athletes will have to suffer
eljr likes this.
post #44 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cut the cord the first time in 2008. Moved households in 2012 and tried cable again for a short time. Got rid of it for good in 2014. Currently have an antenna in the attic for OTA reception - here in metro Detroit, that is an easy catch. Went with DirectTV Now for the cable channels for $35 a month and have internet only from the local cable provider. Dish DTVPal allows me to record OTA programs. I am am a happy camper!
post #45 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
determine what.
that athletes are over paid

post #46 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
So what do you do when you want to watch hockey, baseball and basketball? Go to a bar or friends house?
My response is Canadian so perhaps not applicable. NFL and MLB offer paid streaming service where I can catch any game that I please.

AVS Forum Marketing Solutions
m. 416-578-0769
e. [email protected]
post #47 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
I am still not sure what they have to do with the thread or how one determines that they are over paid.

post #48 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What in the world does cord-never mean? If it's like me, someone who has never had cable or satellite TV, then I could vote in that grouping.

TCL R615 | Sony UBP-X700 | Integra DTR-7.8 | Front = Klipsch KLF-20 | Center & Surrounds = Klipsch KG 5.5 | Subwoofers = 2x sealed Velodyne ULD-15 and 6x ported subs with miniDSP 2x4
Large JBL cinema horns under construction and testing.
"The more to the right it is turned, the greater the volume."
post #49 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Once the sports world catches on with full streaming content, that isn't horrible, I will cut the cord. I'm a sports fanatic and have over 300 dedicated sports channels - yeah, I'm that guy that watched Division III football, lol. Until then, it's DirecTV. Netflix is our primary for shows, with the exception of a few.
eljr and femi like this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #50 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
I am still not sure what they have to do with the thread or how one determines that they are over paid.
Yes it does, why does it bother you that I said they are overpaid, the point I was making is, do you think these clowns give a crap about any of you, sell they are is overpaid entertainers, reason is because people buy their overpriced product, and treat them like they are some type of God, people in today's society have completely lost touch with reality. All they are doing to you on TV is nothing more than all you their products, and the zombiefied population goes along with their BS, reason is they have become zombies.
rx3 likes this.
post #51 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16170
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 72 View Post
What in the world does cord-never mean? If it's like me, someone who has never had cable or satellite TV, then I could vote in that grouping.
Yes that's what cord-never means!
thehun and reallynotnick like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #52 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I cut the cord about 6 months ago and happy I did. I have a Roku 3 & 4 along with PSVue & Amazon prime. I wanted to cut the cord a cpl yrs ago but no local tv news. Vue now has one of my local CBS stations plus other apps on Roku has every tv station (7) in my state on just for news only so no prob there. I get 90% of programs I watched on Direct tv at 1/3 the cost. Direct tv has stated that they hope to be 100% streaming in 3 years. I think PSVue is probably the best of the choices available now.
whatever_gong82 likes this.
post #53 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I literally turned down saving $5 a month by getting cable bundled with my internet. I didn't want to bother with storing a box in my home unplugged and returning it. Not to mention last time when my old roommate did this, they ended up turning off our internet for 4 days when we discontinued cable, but not internet. It's way too much of a hassle even when Comcast pays me to have the freaking thing.
chirpie likes this.

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, 5.0.2 Elac Debut F5, C5, B4, and A4
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, and Nvidia Shield
post #54 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Cord Cutting is only going to get worse over time. 2-3 million a year in cord cutting adds up over time. I want as much of it as possible, but that will lead to some new problems.
post #55 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5082 Post(s)
Liked: 3930
I was ready to pull the plug but realized I could not get (live) all of the major networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, ABC). Except for sports, I would not care but I am a college football addict and have no interest in watching them delayed by a day. Every other channel we watch is available on Hulu Live.

When they figure that part out, I will jump ship. We pay about $130 a month (DirecTV) and we watch about 11 channels (if I count correctly). I can't wait for the streaming companies to crush the satellite and cable companies since that is what they have done to us for the last 40 years.

Mark 10:45 ][Home Theater of The Month: The Oconee Theater][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify ][
Isaiah 54:10
post #56 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
This poll is silly.

If you switch from Cable TV to Netflix, you are just changing what you do over the same providers bandwidth that you already have. For instance I have Cox Digital Telephone and 100Mbps internet, but don't have Cable TV with them. I use OTA for network television to save a few dollars.

If enough people cancel their TV service the internet providers, most of which are cable companies, will raise their rates for internet service to compensate for their loss in Cable TV revenue. These companies still have a monopoly on our connection to the internet. Most areas only have one, or two, companies that provide high speed internet in their area. We truly have no choice in how we connect to the internet, you need your cord, or satellite internet in remote locations, to enjoy Netflix or other streaming services.

May be possible if you linked your laptop through your mobile phone hot spot if you are a very light internet user. However, you are not going to stream Netflix through a mobile hot spot!

Later,

Tony

This!
You can't cut the cord. It's a non-option.
You can stop paying for cable tv/satellite tv, but then you will pay double that amount to watch half the programming through the internet.
Oh, and if you think cable/satellite programing is bad, try Hulu, Amazon or Netflix, ACK!!!! What a f***ing joke!
How do I know? Because I did just that, (for about a week). And guess what? My internet bill almost tripled over night.
The only way to cut the cord is to cancel EVERYTHING!
Cancel your cable, your satellite, your internet, and trade in that data hog in your pocket for a good old fashioned flip phone from the year 2002, (i still have mine and it works great. $10 a month!).
The only people who really cut the cord are people who don't watch/interact with any content whatsoever,
or people who are so poor, so miserable, that they promote cord cutting so you can be miserable too!
Whats the old saying? Misery loves company!
No thanks. I'll stay over here on the happy side.

Fizban19 likes this.

3 Hometheaters
Samsung 65" UHDTV (UN65KS8000)
Marantz SR5012 & KEF R Series Speakers
6 HDTV's. Desktop PC, XB360, XB1X & XB1
100+ Games. XBox Live GT: NetGod

Last edited by NetGod; 07-05-2017 at 06:06 PM.
post #57 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
This poll is silly.

Later,

Tony
It's just called cord-cutting, not meant to be taken literally, and I suspect most people get what it really means. Similar to how they understand that MTV Unplugged did not mean that the microphone itself is unplugged.

If you take this too seriously, and semantics too literally, then you run the risk of taking the whole Internet literally and seriously!!!!!

If you have two choices for Internet, then there's no monopoly. Only folks who have no choice.... just one provider for everything.... have the monopoly issue.

Sure, arguable true cord-cutting is going back to OTA. But the reality of Internet service is most people get considerable added value out of it, unlike TV.

Anyhow, the poll may seem silly to you but it's really about starting a conversation. Judging by the number of responses, it succeeded.
thxman, rx3 and femi like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-05-2017 at 08:23 PM.
post #58 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Well if they start doing live TV via the Internet with decent feed then yes! I have DTV at two homes on same account and when I split the total cost it doesn't seem so bad... I go over to a buddies house who cut the cord and the damn Amazon TV has buffering issues because he doesn't have fast enough internet speeds, so you pay one way or another. But since most of us pay for internet, I would assume it would be logical to go that route, eventually. When I add up going with boxes to view my TV and all the shows I watch it ends up being the same or similar in price.

https://www.cutcabletoday.com/what-is-sling-tv/

If you take Sling Orange/Blue and add on Movie Channels and Sports your getting to almost the same cost as a full package as DTV, and then you need devices to watch them with, unless you have a Roku like I have but then you need one of those units or some thing else.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #59 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Cord-never, w00t!
post #60 of 205 Old 07-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I've looked into the various streaming services and found that a) in order to get the channels I want, I usually have to select the higher tier package and b) they are always missing one of the networks (ie Viacom, CBS, ABC, etc) that the other competitors have. So when you consider the cost of the higher tier package + paying for stand alone internet service which costs more when it isn't bundled with TV, the cost isn't much different.

Viewsonic PX800HD | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | HDFury Diva | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page