Poll: Are You Cutting the Cord on July 7, 2017? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Are you planning to cut the cord on July 7 2017?
I have already cut the cord 248 50.30%
It's the perfect day to cut the cord 12 2.43%
Too soon for me, but I plan on doing it eventually 122 24.75%
I like pay-TV service and plan to keep it 81 16.43%
I'm a cord-never! 30 6.09%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 160Likes

post #91 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
I've been getting more and more tempted. There are some shows that I like to watch first-run, but more and more I'm enjoying the original content on Netflix and Amazon, as well as their back catalogs of older shows I never watched.

I'm betting that even if I bought season passes on Amazon for the shows I do enjoy watching as they air, I'd still save a bunch of money per month over the $210 or so I shell out to Dish every month. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, I could add HBO Now and Hulu and still end up well ahead.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
I only have basic cable because it was a cheaper package to have cable + internet than just internet. I don't try to understand the logic, I just play the game.
Yes, the standard practice of bundle discounts for TV+internet continues to prohibit reasonable internet-only costs. Don't know why attorney's haven't had a class action field day on that one nationwide.

OTOH, trying to a-la-carte the channels you want always results in same or greater cost than just getting a cable tier channel bundle- the Comcasts and Wow's of the world have teams of accountants and MBA's that do nothing but slice and dice and analyze the crap out of viewing consumption patterns, in order to construct the most profitable groups of channels that consumers will pay for.

My wife wants the Food/A&E/History/MSNBC/CNN/TCM's/etc of the world, which we get with the 80+ channel "Basic SD digital" cable TV + Internet for ~$80 month on WoW (no contract).

I throw WoW a bone because (1) They are not Comcast (2) They continue to send digital cable (SD + HD OTA channels) unencrypted, making recording to hard drive DVR/PC/DVD set top recorder trivial (wife is a teacher and sometimes wants a DVD to use in class), plus can split to any number of QAM tuner TV's and recorders with no box needed.

Also, my recently acquired open box Roku Express for $25 has apps for most of the channels we are interested in, and the pay cable channels like A&E can be linked to the cable provider with a code/website activation combo, so we have access to the cable channels out of town/lake home. You need to subscribe to a cable TV provider/tier in order to link channels to a Roku/tablet/PC browser.
clarkss12 likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 07-07-2017 at 07:39 AM.
post #93 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony~M View Post
Hello Lovswr,

Hope you are well.

Lol, cable box? Anyone over a certain age remembers Black and White TV with a 25 foot pole mounted 10 foot outdoor antenna with a rotor. When the rotor failed my Father had to turn the pole with a pipe wrench to tune in the 3 channels we could receive, it was very fast flipping through channels back then. Of course all 3 channels were in different directions....so flip channel, go outside with pipe wrench, yell in window to see if it was tuned in, go back inside, Mmm...nothing good on that channel, forgot to buy TV guide magazine, crap...., turn channel, back outside, turn pole, yell through window...repeat....Remember to buy TV Guide next time.....LOL.

I agree quality is a huge factor. Friends come over to watch football and they are like, "Why is your picture better than mine?" Watching OTA that is why, that compressed crap that they call HD over cable or D* TV is crappy.

Later,

Tony

Touche, Tony, touche.

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
How do you receive OTA channels with the Prime?
Sorry it's two tuner HD homerun not the prime.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #95 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 132
At first I was afraid that I would not have enough to watch.

However, ever since I cut the cord I can't say I have ever run out of things to watch.

I would also say that I probably watch less TV since I just leave it off while I am doing other things, like cleaning the house, since I know my shows will be available when I am done.
khackshaw and Squirrel! like this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #96 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
This poll is silly.

Nobody is cutting their cord, they are just adjusting what they use it for.

If you switch from Cable TV to Netflix, you are just changing what you do over the same providers bandwidth that you already have. For instance I have Cox Digital Telephone and 100Mbps internet, but don't have Cable TV with them. I use OTA for network television to save a few dollars.

If enough people cancel their TV service the internet providers, most of which are cable companies, will raise their rates for internet service to compensate for their loss in Cable TV revenue. These companies still have a monopoly on our connection to the internet. Most areas only have one, or two, companies that provide high speed internet in their area. We truly have no choice in how we connect to the internet, you need your cord, or satellite internet in remote locations, to enjoy Netflix or other streaming services.

How many of you have truly cut your cord and live without the internet?

May be possible if you linked your laptop through your mobile phone hot spot if you are a very light internet user. However, you are not going to stream Netflix through a mobile hot spot!

I am afraid you still need your cord...

Later,

Tony
there are some of us like myself who literally don't watch TV. be it cable, OTA or something like netflix. i cut the cord years ago. i have a basic package to make internet cheaper because logic. i don't watch it. i don't have a netflix account or a hulu account or any of those. Sure i have internet for gaming and watching rando crap on youtube. most of it gaming or tech related which aren't on "normal" TV anyway.

also as someone who has a decent LTE signal at their house and unlimited data i can stream whatever i want on my phone. this is extremely common, and easy to do for those that want to do it

Last edited by Sibuna; 07-06-2017 at 08:30 AM.
post #97 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
I am still not sure what they have to do with the thread or how one determines that they are over paid.

The thing here is that ESPN has the highest cost per subscriber of any network. As the big TV package looses 2-3 Million subscribers per year that will easily cut into revenue that ESPN gets per month. Less revenue each month along with fewer viewers next decade will have to force a drop in the TV deal for a sport such as the NBA and the NFL.

That will then have to force lower pay at the top end for people playing sports.

Even this year lower revenue at ESPN caused a whole bunch of on-air talent to get fired.
morbidcorpse likes this.
post #98 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I cancelled paid television last month... After looking through my TiVo recordings, I realized that 90% of my recordings were standard network programming (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC and CW). The other 10% was original programming on AMC (e.g., Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, etc...) or the games from my local NBA basketball team on CSN. I bought a TiVo Roamio OTA (to replace my cable-only TiVo Roamio Pro). As a result, I get the same TiVo experience, only with OTA content.

I will absolutely miss the 10% that requires paid television, but it's not worth the incremental cost. I completely understand the bundled pricing phenomenon. And while there are some here who have reported that you can get paid TV bundled for a lower cost than internet only service, this is not my experience. I am sure such a beast exists...I just haven't seen it myself (I haven't seen Elvis, Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster either).

It's true that cancelling paid television is not the big money saver that it once was. I was told that my internet only service would be $74.99/mo for 100mbps service, and that I could get a double play bundle with a medium sized (150 channel) television package for $89.99/mo (only $15.00 more). They told me that I would not be eligible for a single service pricing promotion because I was already on a double play and they don't provide promotions for people reducing their service.

So $15/mo adds up to $180/year... Not much, right? The problem is that the internet service is not taxed (at least not in my area). So $74.99 is $74.99. Television has the additional taxes and surcharges. On last month's bill (before my cancellation), I had to pay an additional $11.88 broken down like this:
  • Broadcast TV Fee: $5.00
  • Regional Sports Fee: $3.00
  • Franchise Fee: $2.77
  • PEG Access Support Fee: $0.90
  • FCC User Fee: $0.08
  • State Sales Tax: $0.13

So very quickly, my $89.99 promotional pricing becomes $101.87! Compare that to the $74.99 internet only service, and my savings increase from $15/mo to $26.88/mo (or $322.56).

But wait...there's more

I didn't take their word that I could not get a promotional price on internet only service, so I went down to my local bricks & mortar Comcast office and asked to speak to a customer service representative. Of course she tried to get me to keep my double play (she wouldn't be a good Comcast employee if she didn't at least give it the college try, right?). But in the end, she offered me a 12 month promotional price on internet only service for $59.99. That's an additional $15.00/mo savings from the standard $74.99/mo pricing.

So by cancelling paid television, what at first looked like a $15.00/mo savings turns into a $41.88/mo (or $502.56/year) in savings.

Of course, there is the longer term question of whether I can continue receiving the internet only promotional pricing. However, there's also the question of whether I can continue the double play promotional pricing. There will always be the game you need to play at the end of the promotional period where you need to speak to retention to see if you can optimize your pricing... It's standard operating procedure at this point...

By the way, do you notice that I hadn't used the words "cut the cord" in any of the above? I agree with others that cutting the cord in 2017 has a completely different meaning than it did a decade ago... I prefer to say that I cancelled paid television service.

Last edited by MikeekiM01; 07-06-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #99 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16170
In 2017, "cut the cord" means to rejecting the bundles and contracts of cable/satellite, more so than a physical act of disconnecting and relying on OTA.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #100 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Unlimited 4g LTE?

Hello Sibuna,

Hope you are well.

What digital phone carrier are you using that has unlimited 4g LTE? Most carriers in my area have a max cap of 30gb before throttling to 2g speeds, or you pay for overages through the nose with other companies.

Mine has unlimited data, but only 25gb per month of 4g LTE speed. After I get to the 25gb cap my data is limited to 2g speeds which is useless for streaming anything.

Streaming HD is around 3gb per hour, which is only 8.3 hours per month before it is useless for even internet at throttled 2g speeds. Therefore, I must monitor how much video I consume on mobile. If I use my Hot Spot I am limited to 10gb per month 4g LTE, then throttled to 2g speed thereafter. This is T-Mobile.

I want your plan, my Kids always exceed their 25gb limit by the end of the month and have to wait for the next cycle to do anything.

How much is it, and what company?

Thanks,

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
There are some of us, like myself, who literally don't watch TV. Be it cable, OTA or something like Netflix. I cut the cord years ago. I have a basic package to make internet cheaper because logic. I don't watch it. I don't have a Netflix account or a Hulu account or any of those. Sure I have internet for gaming and watching random crap on YouTube, most of it gaming or tech related, which aren't on "normal" TV anyway.

Also, as someone who has a decent LTE signal at their house and unlimited data, I can stream whatever I want on my phone. This is extremely common, and easy to do for those that want to do it.

post #101 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Hello Sibuna,

Hope you are well.

What digital phone carrier are you using that has unlimited 4g LTE? Most carriers in my area have a max cap of 30gb before throttling to 2g speeds, or you pay for overages through the nose with other companies.

Mine has unlimited data, but only 25gb per month of 4g LTE speed. After I get to the 25gb cap my data is limited to 2g speeds which is useless for streaming anything.

Streaming HD is around 3gb per hour, which is only 8.3 hours per month before it is useless for even internet at throttled 2g speeds. Therefore, I must monitor how much video I consume on mobile. If I use my Hot Spot I am limited to 10gb per month 4g LTE, then throttled to 2g speed thereafter. This is T-Mobile.

I want your plan, my Kids always exceed their 25gb limit by the end of the month and have to wait for the next cycle to do anything.

How much is it, and what company?

Thanks,

Tony
Verizon. ~85$ a month. . prob should be noted that i'm on a grandfathered plan so i dont get throttled
post #102 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm interested in 'cutting the cord' - but the problem in my area is that Comcast is the sole provider of cable/internet. In my current bundle, I receive 220+ channels in standard and HD (though as others have mentioned its 720P- not the best) + all of the movie channels (HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc) + 100MB download and 15 upload. Everything all together comes to $145 a month, including taxes.

The issue becomes if I were to only do internet, to get only 85MB down and 10 up - would cost me $84.99 plus taxes / fees. Once you then add in services like Hulu Live or PS Vue, maybe Prime or Netflix .. you get near identical to what I'm already paying or more depending on what I add and those services have drawbacks in terms of live TV and sports (as others have mentioned).

It's a bummer.
post #103 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 140
We cut cord 5 years ago and couldn't be happier! Saving over $150.00 a month on DTV. & DISH alone. We use Netflix & Amazon Prime and we have a collection of over 2.5K Blu-ray & UHD 4k discs to choose from! YouTube also provides my news fix.
post #104 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
One word..............KODI
MCaugusto and ingramba like this.
post #105 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles View Post
One word..............KODI
I didn't want to mention it! Jayhawk, Jayhawk, Jayhawk!
post #106 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
I pay $245/mo for a Verizon triple play. I get every channel and premium movie channel along with 3 boxes. 2 of which are DVRs. I don't know what my internet speed is, but it's fast enough for everything I need to do.

I paid $20k for my home theater setup and no way am I not going to enjoy it trying to save $150/mo. I looked into cancelling phone since we all have cell phones, but it only costs an extra $10/mo and my wife would be very angry with me.

I watch TV every night and watch a lot of sports. As do my wife and 3 kids. I more than get my moneys worth IMO, so I'm not cancelling anything.

Also, my kids love watching documentaries on TV and youtube, so they learn a lot. Maybe more than school since they're learning about something they're interested in.
post #107 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
i've already ditched cable. when i moved in late 2015 i never bothered to get cable installed.

the reasons are pretty simple. steaming services offered convenience and a far better value. cable responded by raising their prices and continues to send 4:3 format images(but it's a digital signal that can't be decoded by an analog 4:3 tv anyway...) for their SD channels basically forcing you to double the already ludicrous prices. but when you get the HD channels, half of them are just upscaled versions of the 4:3 SD channel, complete with letterbox bars top and bottom, and you end up with an image on screen completely surrounded by black space

it might be different if i needed to pay an extra 100bux a month on better internet, but where i live i literally only have one option for internet, but it still works. Streaming saves me about 100bux a month. I get better service for less money. I really don't understand how the cable company expects to survive around here. imo, the only way cable survives is by dramatically lowering prices. when you look at similar services(radio for example) it's free because advertising pays for it. to me, it's makes no sense that i can stream something, commercial-free, in better quality, at a fraction of the price. If cable companies aren't making 90% profit, then that delivery system just doesn't make sense anymore.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 07-06-2017 at 10:55 AM.
post #108 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5116
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Are you planning on cutting the cord this July 7, aka "Cut the Cord Day"?

Uhh..no. Hopefully never. I have Comcast cable and aside from some PQ gripes, it's great.

I get the appeal of cutting the cord but it doesn't work for me. I've had Netflix streaming since the beginning. It was cool years ago but I don't like it now and haven't liked the programming for years. Nothing (that I want...) to watch. Hulu is even worse. Amazon I get with Prime, so no complaints about the lack of programming and good movies. That's the thing. Having a trifecta of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon... I could never find any good movies to watch. Either seen em, a lot or don't want to. And the quality is at best acceptable but nothing compared to a proper Blu-ray.

However, having all the premium channels with cable allows me access to a HUGE library of movies and in HD.

Anyway... I know you guys are into it. Just depends on what you want. I get A LOT more content (that I want) with cable. Cutting the cord saves me money, yes but it also significantly cuts my entertainment value and choices.

So... nope. Not me. I prefer keeping the cable.
post #109 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Ah...

Hello Sibuna,

Hope you are well.

Ah...that is nice then. I pay $200 a month for 4 lines of so called 'unlimited data', really just 25gb of 4g LTE and then crawl speed after that. At least each of my 4 lines has its own 25gb of data, not shared. It is a good plan, still a lot of data for each line. Many of my friends only have 2gb or 5gb plans, my Wife and kids would blow through that very quickly. One guy has Verizon and his kid went over and they had a $550 phone bill that month...that is crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
Verizon. ~85$ a month. . prob should be noted that i'm on a grandfathered plan so i dont get throttled
Later,

Tony

post #110 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 AM

Apology

Hello Mark,

Hope you are well.

I apologize. I actually like the poll itself. I hate the term 'cutting the cord', the term is silly, the poll is not.

Later,

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
In 2017, "cut the cord" means to rejecting the bundles and contracts of cable/satellite, more so than a physical act of disconnecting and relying on OTA.

post #111 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
it means someone who has never had cable or satellite TV,
Umm read it again. It says "I'm a cord-never" which I interpret as meaning I have no plans to cut the cord.

I am not going to cut the cord at anytime in the foreseeable future. Yes, my cable package is my most expensive utility, but it provides me internet access and cable TV for entertainment. I know many people who have complained about the cost of cable and looked to cut the cord and find some other solution. But all of those people have the latest and greatest smart phones and are paying a substantial fee each month for their phone + data. So I look at them and think they're still paying for it, just not to a cable company.

I have looked at other cable TV delivery options (satellite or AT&T U-verse) but they lock you into a contract, none of them have all the channels I routinely watch, and in the end I don't think I would really save any money when the initial discount rate expires and I spend the remainder of the contract paying regular rates. My local cable company does not have contracts - it's basically month to month, they have all the channels I enjoy watching, and I have no complaints about their service; so I really have no incentive to cut the cord.
Scott Simonian likes this.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
post #112 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingramba View Post
I didn't want to mention it! Jayhawk, Jayhawk, Jayhawk!
When firestick's are sold out at three Best Buy's for months on end, KODI definitely is part of "cutting the cord".
post #113 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
I'm interested in 'cutting the cord' - but the problem in my area is that Comcast is the sole provider of cable/internet. In my current bundle, I receive 220+ channels in standard and HD (though as others have mentioned its 720P- not the best) + all of the movie channels (HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc) + 100MB download and 15 upload. Everything all together comes to $145 a month, including taxes.

The issue becomes if I were to only do internet, to get only 85MB down and 10 up - would cost me $84.99 plus taxes / fees. Once you then add in services like Hulu Live or PS Vue, maybe Prime or Netflix .. you get near identical to what I'm already paying or more depending on what I add and those services have drawbacks in terms of live TV and sports (as others have mentioned).

It's a bummer.
that's definitely how it used to be around here too. well, the upload/download numbers were a little different, but in order to save 75bux by ditching the cable, you had to spend 50 more by upgrading the internet(because the basic was no where fast enough, or included enough bandwidth to support full time streaming). but since then, internet speeds have come up to the point even the slowest can handle streaming, and cable prices have gone up to a point that is now does make financial sense.

but i totally understand your frustration, because i went through that with my parents for years. trying to figure out how to reduce their cable bill, since none of us really watched anything, but the bundle discounts were so huge, it just didn't work out at the time
AudioNewGuy likes this.

post #114 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
Umm read it again. It says "I'm a cord-never" which I interpret as meaning I have no plans to cut the cord.

I am not going to cut the cord at anytime in the foreseeable future. Yes, my cable package is my most expensive utility, but it provides me internet access and cable TV for entertainment. I know many people who have complained about the cost of cable and looked to cut the cord and find some other solution. But all of those people have the latest and greatest smart phones and are paying a substantial fee each month for their phone + data. So I look at them and think they're still paying for it, just not to a cable company.

I have looked at other cable TV delivery options (satellite or AT&T U-verse) but they lock you into a contract, none of them have all the channels I routinely watch, and in the end I don't think I would really save any money when the initial discount rate expires and I spend the remainder of the contract paying regular rates. My local cable company does not have contracts - it's basically month to month, they have all the channels I enjoy watching, and I have no complaints about their service; so I really have no incentive to cut the cord.
the important thing is being able to pay for what you want/need and NOT have to pay for extras. cable companies are well known for bundling garbage with high value products to squeeze more money from you. it varies by location of course, but it seems like what we see is either the package offered by cable works(and then it makes no sense to cut the cord) or it doesn't(and then it's about the worst option you have). Since there is very little control, there's seldom much in-between those two extremes.

fwiw, i have no cable, no home phone, the cheapest internet(only one available here), and my cell phone is talk and text only, no data. I use everything i pay for(perhaps the cell phone could be cheaper on a pay as you go plan) and everything is month to month, no contracts. keep in mind i live in canada, where technology is twice the price, but my monthly expenses for all of this is under 110/month. I have everything I need, but trimmed almost all of what I don't
AudioNewGuy likes this.

post #115 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post
At first I was afraid that I would not have enough to watch.

However, ever since I cut the cord I can't say I have ever run out of things to watch.

I would also say that I probably watch less TV since I just leave it off while I am doing other things, like cleaning the house, since I know my shows will be available when I am done.
i've found this as both a pro and a con, depending on how you look at it.

with cable, i'd turn it on, find something, and then not really pay attention to it as i did some paper work, or some other medial task. i find these tasks go by faster with a little distraction in the background.
with streaming, i find it difficult to turn something on that i'm not going to pay attention to. i rarely re-watch anything, and i don't want to put on something new if i'm not going to pay attention to it.

so, not sure how you want to score that, but it's a difference.

some days, it takes longer to figure out what to watch... watching tv feels like more of a commitment now. like i need to finish whatever i start in one sitting. which is dumb, cause i can obviously continue it whenever i want, but as a kid/teenager, i just got used to turning on the tv and letting it play whenever i didn't need to concentrate on what i was doing. instead of radio in the background, i'd have tv in the background. and i just can't use it that way(i could, i just find it odd picking out a show to NOT pay attention to it). what i often do now is toss on some youtube documentary or something, and let autoplay take care of the rest.

post #116 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post
This!
You can't cut the cord. It's a non-option.
You can stop paying for cable tv/satellite tv, but then you will pay double that amount to watch half the programming through the internet.
Oh, and if you think cable/satellite programing is bad, try Hulu, Amazon or Netflix, ACK!!!! What a f***ing joke!
How do I know? Because I did just that, (for about a week). And guess what? My internet bill almost tripled over night.
The only way to cut the cord is to cancel EVERYTHING!
Cancel your cable, your satellite, your internet, and trade in that data hog in your pocket for a good old fashioned flip phone from the year 2002, (i still have mine and it works great. $10 a month!).
The only people who really cut the cord are people who don't watch/interact with any content whatsoever,
or people who are so poor, so miserable, that they promote cord cutting so you can be miserable too!
Whats the old saying? Misery loves company!
No thanks. I'll stay over here on the happy side.
You absolutely CAN cut the cord, and it absolutely IS an option. First off, I am using the term 'cut the cord' in the commonly understood way - that cutting the cord means getting rid of your cable bill. No one is using 'cut the cord' to mean getting rid of cable, internet, and the electricity to your house and living off the grid. Even if they were, you could still technically keep the data plan on your phone because it's wireless - cord free! Good luck charging it without a cord or electricity, but I digress. The whole point of this thread, as most seem to understand it, is getting rid of your cable bill every month. Which means either doing without, or finding alternate (prefereably cheaper) methods of consuming your media. I haven't had cable TV since I moved away from home - that was 1992. I've never missed it. I rented or bought the movies I wanted to watch. Nowadays I have Netflix, and I watch it from time to time but not often. So that's me. I have no plans to cut the cord since I have no cord to cut. Easy decision. For others, it's a lot more difficult since they enjoy watching a lot more media than I do, and are willing to pay the high prices of cable to get the channels they watch - even tho they realize they are being bent over the couch by the cable companies.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box

Last edited by rboster; 07-07-2017 at 07:20 AM.
post #117 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Lol, cable box? Anyone over a certain age remembers Black and White TV with a 25 foot pole mounted 10 foot outdoor antenna with a rotor.

Tony
We had the rabbit ears on our TV back in the day. I would get up and adjust the ears as my dad would comment if the picture was getting better or worse. Sometimes if I took my hand off the antenna, the picture would get worse, so I would stand there touching the antenna so we could get a clear picture. Other times my dad would just smack the hell out of the TV and once in a while the picture would stop jumping all around and be semi watchable. Ah, the good ole days.....
whatever_gong82 likes this.
post #118 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i've found this as both a pro and a con, depending on how you look at it.

with cable, i'd turn it on, find something, and then not really pay attention to it as i did some paper work, or some other medial task. i find these tasks go by faster with a little distraction in the background.
with streaming, i find it difficult to turn something on that i'm not going to pay attention to. i rarely re-watch anything, and i don't want to put on something new if i'm not going to pay attention to it.

so, not sure how you want to score that, but it's a difference.

some days, it takes longer to figure out what to watch... watching tv feels like more of a commitment now. like i need to finish whatever i start in one sitting. which is dumb, cause i can obviously continue it whenever i want, but as a kid/teenager, i just got used to turning on the tv and letting it play whenever i didn't need to concentrate on what i was doing. instead of radio in the background, i'd have tv in the background. and i just can't use it that way(i could, i just find it odd picking out a show to NOT pay attention to it). what i often do now is toss on some youtube documentary or something, and let autoplay take care of the rest.
I get that.

What we do for those kinds of things is put on a show that we know we like and has lots of rewatchability.

For example: How I Met Your Mother, 3rd Rock from the Sun, That 70s Show, Big Bang Theory, etc.

All sitcom comedies usually but we put those shows in the "don't want to pay attention but good to watch" category.

You did say you don't like to rewatch things and I have to agree with you, most things are not worth watching twice. Breaking Bad, Dexter, etc. were all loved shows by myself but I don't care to see them again, at least not for a LONG time.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #119 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
DirecTV - Gone
DishNet - Gone
ExpressVU - They'd better get their act together - sooner than later.
Eastlink - Internet provider. I'm at the end of the line, with interruptions, despite 300gbps, but getting better.
FTA - Only one local channel. Promised - a conversion from Analogue to Digital for the second local channel. (Cheap owner - may be awhile yet.)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #120 of 205 Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
the important thing is being able to pay for what you want/need and NOT have to pay for extras. cable companies are well known for bundling garbage with high value products to squeeze more money from you.
FIOS used to offer where you could select particular packages like sports, news, local channels, ... . Problem is each package was very expensive per channel. Unless you only wanted one or two packages, you were better off getting everything. It works better when everyone pays a little for everything. You may only watch a few channels, but others who never watch your channels help pay for them and vice versa so it all evens out in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page