Poll: Are You Cutting the Cord on July 7, 2017? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Are you planning to cut the cord on July 7 2017?
I have already cut the cord 248 50.30%
It's the perfect day to cut the cord 12 2.43%
Too soon for me, but I plan on doing it eventually 122 24.75%
I like pay-TV service and plan to keep it 81 16.43%
I'm a cord-never! 30 6.09%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 160Likes

post #151 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am with YT TV
I just love the unlimited DVR
But still they need to add new channels or new tier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
Like I said earlier in the thread, I priced out cutting the cord and save practically no money, so considering it's also more of a hassle to deal with, I did not do it.

I have a lot of channels because I watch a large variety of channels, sports included. Streaming just isn't quite there to match up with that yet especially from a value standpoint. Sure, if I only watched 4 channels then some $20 a month sling package might be great. It doesn't work for me, and clearly doesn't work for a lot of people in this thread still. Cable/Satellite still have a lot of use for people like us, and I'll more than happily pay for the better user experience and selection for now.

Again, just because something works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone.
+1

As I posted earlier, if you like/want just a few cable channels (A&E, Food, HGTV, TCM, ESPNx, etc), it's still cheaper to get the basic tier and then link the channels to your phone/tablet/laptop/Roku with channel apps and/or Chrome browser on the device.

As others commented, there will be a "cord" (fiber or copper) for years to come, until wireless data (LTE/xG data and/or local utility wifi) becomes affordable in the data bandwidth/caps needed for typical households.

Just replacing QAM signals with IP packets, that's all.
eljr likes this.
post #153 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
People mention the high cost of renting cable boxes, but I checked out the prices and I would rather rent. For example, I use 2 DVRs. The DVRs each cost $20/month to rent, but when I started using them, they cost $600 to purchase online. Plus you had to pay $10/month for the menu software supplied by a 3rd party. It would take me 5 years to break even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
It all started with the home phone....

We hardly used the home phone anymore and relied on cell for 95% of our calls. Basically only got calls from my mom and telemarketers. But we did use the phone as the default "account" setup for everything. So we didn't want the $45/month bill but wanted to keep the number. The solution was Google Voice. We ported the number to our wireless carrier and once it was a mobile number I transferred it to Google Voice where is now sits as a sort of second number on my cell. Works like a charm. First cord cut with zero loss. Sure, some say the whole 911 issue but I counter that with "which phone is closer in an emergency?".

So this year we decided to take the next step. We had DirecTV for 15 years and were satisfied with service and features but price kept climbing. DVR? Extra cost. HD? Extra cost. Multiple rooms? Extra cost. Our bill was finally $178/month and we didn't watch anything but a fraction of the channels. They were kinda there as "just in case" something decent showed up on someone's radar. But we mostly watched but maybe 20 channels.

We already also subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime. We also had a couple of Apple TV boxes, a couple of Roku boxes, a Playstation 4 and a smart Blu-Ray player (Netflix and Amazon Prime). We found ourselves watching those more than DTV. For internet we use Comcast (75mbps) for $70/month. So all told (phone/internet/TV/entertainment) we were spending about $3,800 a year.

The key features we didn't want to lose was local channels, ability to DVR and the popular channels where our favorites shows live. Here's what we put together:
Since we already had a bunch of streaming capability it was easy to subscribe to one of the skinny bundle services. We did trials of Sling, PS Vue and DTV Now and settled on PS Vue for the channel selection and DVR capabilities. Even though for us PS Vue had some locals, I wanted to make sure we had some fallback and ABC as PS Vue only had them on demand. I looked at several solutions and went with a Tablo 2 tuner OTA device with a 2 TB drive. It works wonderfully and since it gets delivered to all my devices via an app on my streamer boxes I can watch it from all my TVs. I installed a ViewTV amplified antenna in the attic and tuned it with info from antennaweb.org and the compass on my phone. I didn't need to use the amplifier as I'm lucky enough to live close enough that the main broadcast locations are within 50 miles. Using the amplifier boosts the range up to 150 miles which wasn't necessary in my case. I tune in over 40 channels with about 15 in HD. We actually end up watching the Tablo more often as all the main shows, news and locals sports are on there.

So after laying out $300 for the Tablo, hard drive and antenna we were now getting all local channels, PS Vue channels, Netflix and Prime shows, I set my sights on Comcast. After suggesting I'd leave they dropped my service to $40/month and threw in their Stream package with HBO. Not as a special promotion but as my regular service.

So my new annual cost for everything is down to around $1,500 including internet. There are also quite a few features that I never had before such as watching the Tablo from outside my home with full access to my DVR recordings. PS Vue also lets me watch most of the channels outside the home.

I suggest that everyone considering cutting the cord take their time, evaluate the options. Read the reviews, find the hardware and services that make sense for them. Take advantage of the trial periods from the various providers. Be prepared to switch or try other services as they come online. This space is evolving and picking up steam. More players are showing up and the old PAY TV players are feeling the pinch which will drive them to be more competitive as well. Find what works for you. Ask questions of those who've already learned from their mistakes and successes.
eljr and Khahhsounds like this.

Last edited by aaverhoff; 07-07-2017 at 09:38 AM.
post #155 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 11916
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
No such thing as cutting the cord.

I haven't paid for cable TV or Sat TV is several years....but I still pay the very same cable company for my internet service which I need to use stuff like Amazon, VUE, etc....so in the end the "cord" wins.

The more and more people switch to streaming......the higher/more restrictive our ISP bills will get........again in the end the "cord" wins =P

"Cutting the Cord" is nothing more than semantics we all use to make ourselves feel better.
I believe the OP used the term "cutting the cord" in reference to Cable television not to internet access.
JaredB and DAB like this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #156 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
People mention the high cost of renting cable boxes, but I checked out the prices and I would rather rent. For example, I use 2 DVRs. The DVRs each cost $20/month to rent, but when I started using them, they cost $600 to purchase online. Plus you had to pay $10/month for the menu software supplied by a 3rd party. It would take me 5 years to break even.
it cost $10 to rent a cable box. I can stream the content without a box.

But

I am not allowed to. HDMI out is disabled on the feed.

so

You missed the point. There should be no box needed, I am obliged to pay for something I do not want nor need.

Your example is for a DVR (not the same) that you want.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

Last edited by eljr; 07-07-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #157 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khahhsounds View Post
Ok. How many folks feel that cutting the cord is a misnomer?

Its not quite cutting the cord if you are still getting broadband from a cable company. Cutting the cord is when the adult has allowed the child to live off on their own. No longer responsible for everything. Its more like "child support". Cutting the cord should be renamed "Childsupport"."Child support", is a better way to look at the reality of where the cash goes. You are still paying the cable companies, you just dont have access for all that they do. You pay their bottom line, you just dont have access to it all.

If I get the time I will start a momentum to rename "cutting the cord" to "child support" payments. Unless a person is no longer paying a cable company for what comes into their homes, they are not "cutting the cord".

Ok this may be a bit overreaching but its a personal peeve when if I ask someone if they have cut the cord and then I ask them what your cable bill is, they say its much less. Huh! So you really didnt cut the cord, you are just paying once removed. Childsupport!

As far as my situation, I have a bit of both. Cable bill pays for the broadband<few channels> but OTA and streaming fills in the rest. Child support with visitation rights.

What do yall think
I thought it clear that the term cutting the cord refereed to Cable television not to internet or electric (as that comes through a cord as well)

Goes to show, we all have our own perspective which is in large part why people generally disagree, about everything.

post #158 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post
I get that.

What we do for those kinds of things is put on a show that we know we like and has lots of rewatchability.

For example: How I Met Your Mother, 3rd Rock from the Sun, That 70s Show, Big Bang Theory, etc.

All sitcom comedies usually but we put those shows in the "don't want to pay attention but good to watch" category.

You did say you don't like to rewatch things and I have to agree with you, most things are not worth watching twice. Breaking Bad, Dexter, etc. were all loved shows by myself but I don't care to see them again, at least not for a LONG time.
sometimes i'll rewatch good shows like that, but i still feel like i almost need somebody else to pick it. i end up wasting time because i have the choice. let's say i've decided to toss on an episode of big bang, which one? do i start from the beginning? do i skip episodes i didn't enjoy as much? i honestly need a program with a 'random' option. just tosses on any episode of any show i've 'added to my collection'.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #159 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 132
@fierce_gt , that's a good point, I wonder if there is anyone developing something that has any sort of "random/suggestion" option for hulu/ netflix or something.

I just throw it on and don't care but I can get wanting it to jump around.

Back when I had Tivo I really liked how it would record things randomly as suggestions and I found some really great shows that way.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #160 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FIOS used to offer where you could select particular packages like sports, news, local channels, ... . Problem is each package was very expensive per channel. Unless you only wanted one or two packages, you were better off getting everything. It works better when everyone pays a little for everything. You may only watch a few channels, but others who never watch your channels help pay for them and vice versa so it all evens out in the end.
pretty sure in canada it's now mandated that providers allow ordering of individual channels. but all the 'good' channels are virtually the same price as the packages they are included in(maybe a buck cheaper). at least that's what i remember from when i checked last, i honestly haven't looked recently. we were all so thrilled when this was announced, but i guess most of us never realized there was nothing about what they could charge included in that legislature.

post #161 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
it cost $10 to rent a cable box. I can stream the content without a box.

But

I am not allowed to. HDMI out is disabled on the feed.

so

You missed the point. There should be no box needed, I am obliged to pay for something I do not want nor need.

Your example is for a DVR (not the same) that you want.
my parents have been with Shaw for ages. not a terrible company, but pretty typical of a cable company with a near monopoly. they do what they want, and you're expected to accept it... anyway, years ago they made the switch to all-digital, which of course was to 'improve our experience'. it meant that every tv needed one of their decoder boxes now. my HTPC could no longer decode and display the channels we paid for, and this is what i was using as a pvr as well. it WAS awesome, but now completely useless(even though it had a digital tuner, shaw just used that as an opportunity to start encoding all their channels). so, we looked around, but my parents didn't want the hassle of switching to the other provider, and we managed to get buy some boxes pretty cheap on sale. they recently(like a week ago) got an email stating that all those old boxes will no longer work and they have to upgrade to the new ones. i haven't seen the email, so i'm not sure what their justification was, but it's pretty brutal imo. the only reason they have those boxes is so they can encode the signal. and they encode the signal so that people won't steal cable. so once again, the people who end up paying for it, are the honest ones. box rentals would come out to probably another 20bux a month. 240bux a year just to pay for the companies security that in no way whatsoever improves the service. if they want to force those boxes on you, then at least make them all pvr's, or add SOMETHING to the consumers experience.
eljr likes this.

post #162 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I cut the cord 5+ years ago. Today I watch TV either through OTA antenna or subscription services, Netflix, Amazon Prime & Hulu. Use a MythTV DVR for OTA, and various Rokus or Amazon Fire TV devices.

I don't subscribe to any of the streaming cable channel services, and don't miss them at all. If there is a show that I want to watch that I can't get from the above, I'll just buy a season pass from Amazon video.
post #163 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Most of the post's and discussions so far have been about utilizing streaming services to reduce costs.

For several years now I have found for me at least that:

"Thinking outside the box."

I have reduced my monthly cable tv bill by 75.00/month by canceling it.

$75.00 x 12 months =$900.00/year

$900.00 x 10 years=$9,000.00

X 20 years is $18,000.00

That's not even including the yearly potential price increases and additional fees that they keep adding on to the monthly bill.

Can you imagine or realize the tv, projector, AVR, speakers, bluray player, physical media like bluray/dvd movies, concerts, tv shows, documentaries you could have purchased with not even spending that $9,000 total in potential savings ( or TIPS as I call em.)

I can imagine and have continued to realize that if i take the monthly savings of 75/month and put it into my home entertainment savings fund. Instead of giving away my hard earned money to the cable tv company. For mostly IMHO, the luxury of watching tv commercials.

By re investing the savings it has allowed me to purchase a new Atmos and DTS X AVR and new speakers over the last two years. To complete a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS X system. That with each movie that I am experiencing makes my jaw drop.

By re investing the savings it has allowed me to add to my media library. New movies, tv shows, concerts and documentaries. That I want to enjoy. Not the programing that the cable tv company selects for us.

The entire media library titles are cataloged and are all searchable on a free app. By title, decade, action, adventure, comedy, audio, etc. you can even keep track of when you watched it last.

The media library provides the best picture and audio quality available at the time. For me I have more than enough content between my media library. Which also includes a CD collection that I have accumulated throughout many years.

I have an OTA antenna with three Home worx STB models 180 and 130 with DVR capabilities built in. The three STB boxes were 65 for all three. Just plug in a 2TB external hard drive and you can automagically watch your favorite shows at a later time and date.

I do not stream any content using the internet. I have positioned myself in a manor that I would not be effected by any vast price increases or caps that may be used to offset the cost of the declining subscription to cable like tv services. Or subscription services or one time viewing of content costs of streaming services.

I own all my media. I can enjoy them anytime and as many time as I want too.

I find it very enjoyable to make selections from my media library based on what I feel I want to watch at that moment. Sometimes a movie, tv show, concert or documentary.

I also found that my enjoyment of experiencing a movie. The magic or illusion of disappearing into a film for two hours why the world's troubles slowly fades away for a short time has returned.

I find that being able to enjoy a movie as the director intended. Uninterrupted by commercials every 8 minutes and a bunch of them at that. Viewing a movie in it intended and entire original length. Without scenes being removed to stuff in more commercials or fit within a time slot. Has fully returned as I haven't seen a commercial in several years now.

YMMV, it takes a commitment, dedication and willingness to change to ultimately harvest the savings potential.

Future planning for me is to eventually purchase a projector to replace my DLP tv and a potential 120" screen. I have to patiently wait while my TIPS build up in my home theater savings account. Approximately two years or less. Depends on if I go with a screen or painted wall. Leaning toward the wall. Read allot of good things and [email protected]@king at many posted pictures throughout the forum with very impressive results.

My media library contains many different Original aspect ratios from every decade. Including many films from the 1930's-1950's. A painted wall wouldn't confine me to any particular screen aspect ratio.

This is what has worked for me. If you are [email protected]@king at reducing your cable tv monthly bill. You may find this post enlightening. YMMV.......

Good luck to all
Khahhsounds and macgeek2371 like this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #164 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Seems like $75 goes much further for you than for I.

For $75 a months you could never buy yourself all the options streaming could.

post #165 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Was with DirecTV from 1995 till March 2013. Cut the cord because of steady price increases and my usage of non OTA stations did not justify the monthly expense. Went OTA with NExtPVR for DVR. Supplemented with VUDU for the few cable shows I wanted to pay for, till this year. Been a user of NextFlix DVD since 1996 (take care of my Movie Fix.). Just a few titles short of 1800 titles. I sign up for NextFlix streaming (last 4 years) for 3 months in the summer and binge view 6 nights a week. No regrets and at this point in time see no reason to try an OTT internet package.
post #166 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Seems like $75 goes much further for you than for I.

For $75 a months you could never buy yourself all the options streaming could.
right, but do you USE all the options streaming provides???

there's probably 10 tv shows i legitimately watch. say 20bux per BD, that's 200bux a year i'd spend on tv. as for movies, it's almost not worth counting, since i'd buy them regardless of cable package(although streaming DOES save me from buying a lot of them), but let's say it's another 10-12 movies, so 240 a year. so for under 500bux, i could cover the bulk of my 'serious' viewing. and for simply wasting time, there's a lot of 'free' services like youtube that shouldn't force you into a more expensive internet package.

i had the same issue when i moved out on my own grocery shopping. i can get that jumbo size container that's 4x as much for only double the price, way better value! but i can't eat it all before it goes bad, and i actually end up spending more and simply throwing out the extra. it's difficult to accept less, but sometimes less is still enough.
clarkss12 likes this.

post #167 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec View Post
How about removing your face from the TV, there is many things you can do instead of becoming a vegetable glued to the tube.
Your lack of self-awareness and holier-than-thou attitude is astonishing for someone with almost 1400 posts on a forum dedicated to A/V.

Sony XBR-55X900E (My Calibration Settings)
Denon AVR-X2200W
Klipsch RP-260F | RP-450C | RP-250F | R-110SW | RP-140SA
post #168 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
The only cord ill be cutting is the new speaker wire im installing in my theater while I wait for upgraded surrounds to show up
tenthplanet likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #169 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I cut the cord on June 30, 2006 (11+ years ago) when I moved into my current house. However, I technically cut it in 2001, but the cable guy that came to turn on the high speed internet forgot to "cut" the cord for me, so it was free for 5 years. So I haven't paid for a cable TV package since July 2001.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #170 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
first off, they are often on sale much cheaper. when we bought, they were under 100bux each. so it took less than a year to 'break even'

but more importantly, why should the customer HAVE to pay for one at all? even the biggest rip-off artists of all will toss a free 'device' your way with basically any contract(talking about cell phones here). i mean, i still think it's BS that they can encode their signal, then force you to pay for a box to decode that signal, but if they offered 2 or 3 basic boxes for free, and only charged for extras or upgraded models with pvr features or whatever, i could at least over look it.

my ISP gives me a free modem/router(even replaced it for free no questions asked when it got water damage), or allows me to use my own router hooked up to their modem without any restrictions.

the cable company however, not only forces you to use their boxes, and makes sure they are incompatible with any 3rd party products(so you can't buy your own pvr), they also routinely stop supporting their own boxes so even if you've bought their box at their inflated price, it eventually becomes a useless piece of junk anyway.

for me, it's not so much the cost of it, it's the fact there's ANY additional cost whatsoever. Cause the only reason i'd ever pay it, is because they don't allow alternatives. like having to pay 10bux for a small drink at the movie theater. that only works because they don't allow outside food. and why don't they allow outside food? so they can rip you off. free market is supposed to be about providing a better service, and EARNING your business. these clowns spend all their time avoiding competition instead beating the competition with a better value.
PanzerIV likes this.

post #171 of 205 Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
So what do you do when you want to watch hockey, baseball and basketball? Go to a bar or friends house?

I am unfortunately a fan of all the major sports, so can't cut Fios TV......
Sadly I'm in the same boat. How can I watch my Rangers hockey if I cancel FiOS? Perhaps I'm missing an option, but I haven't found any other way to watch MSG Network outside of cable TV. Maybe some day.
eljr likes this.
post #172 of 205 Old 07-08-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
right, but do you USE all the options streaming provides???

My post was more about $75 a month not going very far, for me. You had indicated all the equipment and hard copies of film, TVyou could buy with the savings. I was just saying, I could not.

Quote:
there's probably 10 tv shows i legitimately watch. say 20bux per BD, that's 200bux a year i'd spend on tv.
I am not familiar with the prices of BD TV shows. The 10 TV shows are buying one season of each?

I watch no TV shows.

Quote:
as for movies, it's almost not worth counting, since i'd buy them regardless of cable package(although streaming DOES save me from buying a lot of them), but let's say it's another 10-12 movies, so 240 a year. so for under 500bux, i could cover the bulk of my 'serious' viewing. and for simply wasting time, there's a lot of 'free' services like youtube that shouldn't force you into a more expensive internet package.
Well, between TV and movies, you just used most the money you saved! Not enough left for much equipment. This was my point!
So now you have 12 movies and 10 TV shows, that is not much viewing. One movie a month, no news, no sports, educational TV.
Anyway, that is your preference, it's all good. I too cut the cord and save about the same amount of money as you but instead of buying 12 movies and 10 tv shows I buy Sling and NetFlix. The $400 a year we both save is just not enough for all that equipment you mentioned... for me. Come to think about it, I only spend $25 a month, $20 Sling, $5 NetFlix. So I save more money saved than you with more choices.
Again, I see you and I having different preferences, not you or I saving big bucks.

Now, what I need help with is my music consumption. I spend $60 a month on music streaming services and buy about a CD a day.

Quote:
i had the same issue when i moved out on my own grocery shopping. i can get that jumbo size container that's 4x as much for only double the price, way better value! but i can't eat it all before it goes bad, and i actually end up spending more and simply throwing out the extra. it's difficult to accept less, but sometimes less is still enough.
My daughter and son-in-law prefer to buy in bulk and throw out the other half when it goes bad. Makes me nuts.

post #173 of 205 Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sadly I'm in the same boat. How can I watch my Rangers hockey if I cancel FiOS? Perhaps I'm missing an option, but I haven't found any other way to watch MSG Network outside of cable TV. Maybe some day.
Bam!

they got you by the short hairs

post #174 of 205 Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I have Comcast cable and aside from some PQ gripes, it's great

However, having all the premium channels with cable allows me access to a HUGE library of movies and in HD.

So... nope. Not me. I prefer keeping the cable.
I felt the same way until Comcast decided to down convert everything (except locals) to 720P. It is part of their MP4 conversion. They also have dropped the bit rates to around 4 Mbps. For example before the switch (which occurred in May in this part of the country) a football game would be sent at 1080i and at 14 Mbps. ESPN would be at 720P, but the bit rate would be 17 Mbps. NFL Network is rebroadcasting classic games, and they are all shown at 720P and 4 Mbps. HBO, Showtime, and everything else is also at 720P and 4 Mbps.

What's the big deal, you might ask. MP4 allows better compression and Comcast is taking advantage of it. The problem is that they are over compressing the signal. The problem is that down converting from 1080i to 720p does not look anywhere as good as filming in 720p. It doesn't make a huge difference in football games, except the players faces are a bit harder to recognize. I like seeing the concentration in a player's eyes as they catch a ball, and it is harder to see now. In other words, a lot of the little details are missing.

It is even worse in movies and TV shows. I was watching an older movie the other night on a premium channel and it just looked wrong. The faces were too smooth and the effect reminded me of claymation. I could not watch the movie after a few minutes. This doesn't always happen, but I have seen it a few times. What happens a lot more often is that shadows seem too dark - which I attribute to a lack of detail.

The odd thing is that Netflix does not have these problems. Perhaps it is because they are not down converting or perhaps it is because they do a better job compressing their shows.
post #175 of 205 Old 07-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I felt the same way until Comcast decided to down convert everything (except locals) to 720P. It is part of their MP4 conversion. They also have dropped the bit rates to around 4 Mbps. For example before the switch (which occurred in May in this part of the country) a football game would be sent at 1080i and at 14 Mbps. ESPN would be at 720P, but the bit rate would be 17 Mbps. NFL Network is rebroadcasting classic games, and they are all shown at 720P and 4 Mbps. HBO, Showtime, and everything else is also at 720P and 4 Mbps.

What's the big deal, you might ask. MP4 allows better compression and Comcast is taking advantage of it. The problem is that they are over compressing the signal. The problem is that down converting from 1080i to 720p does not look anywhere as good as filming in 720p. It doesn't make a huge difference in football games, except the players faces are a bit harder to recognize. I like seeing the concentration in a player's eyes as they catch a ball, and it is harder to see now. In other words, a lot of the little details are missing.

It is even worse in movies and TV shows. I was watching an older movie the other night on a premium channel and it just looked wrong. The faces were too smooth and the effect reminded me of claymation. I could not watch the movie after a few minutes. This doesn't always happen, but I have seen it a few times. What happens a lot more often is that shadows seem too dark - which I attribute to a lack of detail.

The odd thing is that Netflix does not have these problems. Perhaps it is because they are not down converting or perhaps it is because they do a better job compressing their shows.
Yes. 100% with you on this.

My main complaint is the PQ. It is not.... very good. Yes, overcompressed is right! I actually don't really watch sports but I was trying to get into Formula 1 a year or two ago and omg....

I'd drop too but .... this is my best choice all things considered.

This is also why I don't watch "TV" in my theater room. Picture does not hold up on 126" @10F t away.
post #176 of 205 Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My post was more about $75 a month not going very far, for me. You had indicated all the equipment and hard copies of film, TVyou could buy with the savings. I was just saying, I could not.

I am not familiar with the prices of BD TV shows. The 10 TV shows are buying one season of each?

I watch no TV shows.

Well, between TV and movies, you just used most the money you saved! Not enough left for much equipment. This was my point!
So now you have 12 movies and 10 TV shows, that is not much viewing. One movie a month, no news, no sports, educational TV.
Anyway, that is your preference, it's all good. I too cut the cord and save about the same amount of money as you but instead of buying 12 movies and 10 tv shows I buy Sling and NetFlix. The $400 a year we both save is just not enough for all that equipment you mentioned... for me. Come to think about it, I only spend $25 a month, $20 Sling, $5 NetFlix. So I save more money saved than you with more choices.
Again, I see you and I having different preferences, not you or I saving big bucks.

Now, what I need help with is my music consumption. I spend $60 a month on music streaming services and buy about a CD a day.

My daughter and son-in-law prefer to buy in bulk and throw out the other half when it goes bad. Makes me nuts.
i think i get ya. i'd agree that it's not like cutting the cord will magically get me this phenomenal theater makeover every 5 years. but even if there's 10bux left over, that's still a win in my books.

10 full seasons of NEW tv shows a year, is about as much as i watch anyway. after a few years, i'll still have all those re-runs to fill any extra time, which is what i'd end up with cable. there's a surprising number of 'filler' shows available through free media as well.
a NEW movie every month is about as fast as GOOD movies are produced. I feel this covers every movie i'd ever want to watch for as long as i'm doing this(so 10yrs from now, i'll have every movie in the last 10 years i could want)
youtube is full of educational tv shows. i watch a documentary just about every night. although sometimes it turns out to be a 'documentary' instead...
news is available everywhere for free
sports can be tricky, and if you're a huge sports fan, i will concede there is not awesome replacement. i only care about stuff like the olympics, world juniors, etc, non of the pro sports interest me. and those things have far better coverage online than on cable networks anyway.

not that this is a competition, but these were only suggestions to a 'worst-case' scenario. it would be very easy to get all this content at half price or less by simply waiting. for clarification, i am not buying my media this way, it was just an example to support the other poster's comment. as for content options, that's debatable. on one hand you have instant access to a lot of stuff with netflix. on the other hand, you don't have access to as much stuff with netflix. not that there is anything stopping you from buying media with netflix, but if you shop for physical media you have virtually unlimited options. you can only play what you buy, but you can buy anything you want.

in the end, the key is, as i've always stated, simply eliminating EVERYTHING you don't use. i like the idea of netflix, but i hate the selection of programming it offers here. it's super limited. i would love for there to be a 15/month streaming service that can supply my needs, but there isn't, unfortunately. i also think you have mistaken me for the OP. I simply agreed with him, that 75bux a month offered a lot of alternative ways to get media(with money left over for 'upgrades'). as somebody who recently moved into a new house, i can assure you that all the money i save by not paying for cable is getting used up in renos and not buying more gear, haha. i actually don't even know how much a basic cable package would cost out here, i never even looked into it. i might be saving less than 75 a month, if you can consider it "saving" even though i never paid it to begin with...

anyway, in the spirit of this thread, i'm sure we can agree that there are cheaper alternatives to cable packages, and the money saved can be spent on whatever we want, even a/v gear
eljr likes this.

Last edited by fierce_gt; 07-08-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #177 of 205 Old 07-08-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
What my dad said was right, unlike what Directv would have you believe ..."You can only watch one channel at a time".
Wrong. We often watch 2 at a time - mainly news. Will watch CNN until commercil comes on or a segment we have no interest in -hit pause and switch to MSNBC, and do same thing. When back at CNN, FF til something of interest comes on. etc.
eljr likes this.
post #178 of 205 Old 07-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Wrong. We often watch 2 at a time - mainly news. Will watch CNN until commercil comes on or a segment we have no interest in -hit pause and switch to MSNBC, and do same thing. When back at CNN, FF til something of interest comes on. etc.
This would make me crazy...

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #179 of 205 Old 07-09-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Not there yet for me. I watch mainly movies and sports, along with a select few TV series. The non-sports content would easily be covered by streaming services. Sports is coming along as PS Vue and YouTube TV are offering the sports channels I want. But right now it doesn't really save me any money and I'd have to buy new hardware for the best streaming experience. I have 2 HTPCs using Kodi and 7MC along with an HDHR Prime, so all I rent from Verizon is a CableCard. I'd be replacing my ~$50 TV package with a ~$40 streaming service but lose my bundled discount so my internet cost would go up and pretty much eliminate that savings. Plus in the end it's just not that much money, I'm probably among the minority who consider it a pretty decent value for what you get.

Now once my Win7 HTPCs bite the dust or some other changes render them obsolete then I'll probably take another look. I'm anticipating there will be more options then and I'll probably make the move to whatever fits my needs at that point.
PanzerIV likes this.
post #180 of 205 Old 07-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
One thing to keep in mind is that cable prices are all local, so the savings one person may realize may not be available to another in a different locale. I have FIOS double play -- 25mbps Internet + digital voice land line -- for $75/month. The phone service is basically "free" because were I to cut it and only use my cell phones, the unbundled Internet service alone would be $75/month. I think that's pretty steep for Internet service, but that's what it costs here once you get past the initial teaser rates you find on the websites.

We've never had pay-TV. We are fortunate to live 20mi line-of-sight from the Philly OTA transmission towers so a 35 yr old antenna, protected in the attic, is all we've ever needed. I like local team sports but I'm not a fanatic so the number of local games that appear OTA are more than enough to satisfy me. This is especially true since the Philly metro area is a football mecca and all the Eagles games are broadcast OTA. Since we've never had cable there are a ton of cable shows we have never seen that we would love to watch. So, we have Netflix and Amazon Prime for streaming them -- the two are largely complimentary in the selection of TV shows they carry. I really don't count Amazon Prime as part of the entertainment budget because we got Prime for the shipping and perks -- the streaming came along with it. We also have a Netflix BD disk subscription for all movies and those TV shows that are not in the Netflix/Prime catalog. We don't stream movies -- I want the highest quality video and audio for films. This yields us a tremendous amount of content -- far more than we could ever watch, which means we are never without something to watch. It is often difficult to decide what to watch next.

Convenience and uniformity rank high on the list, so tying all this together is a couple 4-tuner TiVo Roamio's to DVR anything we might possibly want to watch OTA and which integrate the Netflix and Prime streaming catalogs into the TiVo interface. It's pretty cool to decide you want to start watching a series you've previously ignored and that may be starting its 4th season. So you set a season pass on the TiVo to record the current season and all the back episodes that may be on Netflix or Prime appear in the TiVo playlist so you can start watching the series from the beginning.
clarkss12 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page