AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Poll: Are You Cutting the Cord on July 7, 2017? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2888049-poll-you-cutting-cord-july-7-2017-a.html)

imagic 07-05-2017 10:56 AM

Poll: Are You Cutting the Cord on July 7, 2017?

In the last year, cutting the cord has grown from a trickle to a stream. Soon, it will become a flood! Are you planning on cutting the cord this July 7, aka "Cut the Cord Day"?

Read more about the cord-cutting trend by clicking here, or just take the poll!

spencer777 07-05-2017 11:10 AM

Cut the Cord 7 yrs ago. So happy services like Vue and Sling came about. They have all the good of cable without the b.s. fees and contracts.

KSpan 07-05-2017 11:15 AM

Had and enjoyed DirecTv for 5 years and had an overall great experience with them, but realized in 2014 that we simply didn't watch it enough to justify the rapidly-increasing cost. Been Netflix/Amazon Prime-only ever since and other than the Sunday Ticket (favorite team isn't local) we haven't felt like we're missing anything at all. I'd gladly pay a couple hundred to be able to stream NFL games but they don't seem to want to go that route yet, so until they do I'll get by.

Mattopotamus 07-05-2017 11:41 AM

I just care about sports too much to cut the cord (NFL is a must). Also, the wife always seems to have it on for background noise. Without getting too deep into the cost, you get pretty close to the same cost cutting the cord because you lose that excellent internet price. I pay $70 for gigabyte speeds. It would cost significantly more without TV.

gkdiamond 07-05-2017 11:42 AM

"Another issue with cable TV is cost. Simply put, the monthly packages continue to get more expensive. Customers are forced to buy “bundles” of channels to gain access to the shows they want. Add to that the extraordinarily poor reputation that cable company customer service has earned, and the rigidity of cable company contracts, and it’s clear that consumers would eventually flock to a superior alternative." - That pretty much says it all.

I cut the cord a long time ago. All you need is OTA, a Roku (or similar device) and Internet service.

Fizban19 07-05-2017 11:47 AM

I've had Verizon Fios for the last 5-6 years. Never had a problem with their internet or TV. Everything works....but they are getting expensive, however, I'm not sure if getting everything separate would be that much cheaper. I have their triple play (phone, internet, TV). The problem for me is I'm into just about every major sport. Some guys are only into say football and may get the "Season Ticket", etc., so it might be worth it for them. I'm into baseball, hockey, basketball, football......only football has local coverage on Fox or CBS. All other sports I would need some kind of package to watch my local teams play, especially hockey and basketball. The NY teams are almost always on cable only, no local broadcast, unless they are playing in the "game of the week".

So, i'm pretty much screwed. I priced some stuff out. I can get 100/100mbps internet for $49.99/mo plus taxes and fees, so lets say that's $65 just for that. Then I can get cheap phone service (always kept a landline in case of emergencies) for $10/mo plus taxes and fees, so say $15. Right there is $80/mo and I haven't even looked into TV programming options/sports packages, etc.

It's the sports that is my downfall!! LOL

afrogt 07-05-2017 11:51 AM

What is the significance of July 7, 2017?

wxman 07-05-2017 11:59 AM

If one does not prefer to pay the high price of DirecTV via satellite, one can always stream DirecTV for a lot less. I wouldnt be surprised if in 5 years , DirecTV drops the satellite service and is just a streaming service. You provide your own equipment.

imagic 07-05-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrogt (Post 54067625)

It's an excuse to talk about cord cutting, helped along by TCL's sponsorship.

burton14e7 07-05-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering the same thing.

Mattopotamus 07-05-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

more of a timestamp would be my guess.

WVZR1 07-05-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Don't know but maybe the "poll guy" is a Friday "kind-a-guy" Tomorrow will be 7/6/17 - Had he mentioned SOON maybe he suspected we all might be takers and it influence the poll. BY Friday? Not me! Soon - maybe!

OTA is a larger influence for the masses I believe than some suspect. If OTA was easy - I'd be gone - DVR capability I believe right now influences many.

imagic 07-05-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burton14e7 (Post 54067873)
I'm wondering the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattopotamus (Post 54067937)
more of a timestamp would be my guess.

Yeah basically. Something similar has been tried on different dates in years past, but before now it was not picked up by any sort of sponsor. And now we have a poll that we can compare to future polls. So timestamp is about right!

Blitzdog 07-05-2017 12:11 PM

Cut the cord in 2011

Bill-99 07-05-2017 12:19 PM

While we've dabbled from time to time with cable and satellite, we mostly haven't had either. OTA broadcast, library disk loans, and Amazon Prime seem to be enough for now.

chirpie 07-05-2017 12:30 PM

I only have basic cable because it was a cheaper package to have cable + internet than just internet. I don't try to understand the logic, I just play the game.

rramacha 07-05-2017 12:46 PM

I finally went to Hulu Live TV and cut the cord a month ago.

Bull_Auger 07-05-2017 01:00 PM

I cut the cord about 4 years ago. I have three stations that are OTA and the rest is my entertainment is Plex & Netflix. Wish there were more OTA Stations locally.

WOKNROX 07-05-2017 01:02 PM

Not all of us live in an area that can receive OTA and fast internet.
For those of us we still need Dtv

cybertec 07-05-2017 01:11 PM

I cut the cord over a year ago, I get my local channels in HD over the air antenna, no problem watching the NFL on Sunday, every city carries their local team over the air, I have Verizon Fios, cut the cable TV and only kept the internet service for $58 a month which includes all the taxes, no need to pay for nothing but garbage they are feeding the masses.

dlkuhn1974 07-05-2017 01:11 PM

I cut the cord on Monday. While I liked having U-Verse, it was just getting too expensive. I went OTA, but also subscribed to PlayStation Vue, mainly for HBO and live sports.

dnoonie 07-05-2017 01:11 PM

Cut in 2013. I watch most TV on BD from Netflix. I purchase a few shows on BD. A couple shows I'm willing to buy streaming so I can participate on social media.

Viewing habits drove the disconnect, since my work is seasonal I was binge watching anyway so I might as well watch in higher quality for less money. I was also finding shows to watch that I hadn't recorded and watching on BD from Netflix anyway so I might as well save the money.

Cheers,

afrogt 07-05-2017 01:20 PM

I'm a huge sports fan so won't be cutting the cord any time soon. When they can put all the MLB, NFL, College Football, NBA, golf, tennis and whatever else on Amazon Prime or Netflix then I'll make the switch. Until then I'll stick with Direct TV.

airkitty 07-05-2017 01:27 PM

Cut cord four years ago when I moved into my house. Roof antenna (17 channels), new Apple TV, LG tv with lots of apps and Xumo, Oppo for disc. Way more content options than needed.

mttpalmer 07-05-2017 01:28 PM

Can't get OTA due to geographic interference and can't get reliable, fast internet other than through the cable company.

I did cut the (phone) cord back in 2004 though.

kohlgren 07-05-2017 01:38 PM

never had a cord to cut, why pay for commercials?
early adopter of roku "netflix" player, on my 4th roku box, just got the roku premire

Mattopotamus 07-05-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrogt (Post 54069801)
I'm a huge sports fan so won't be cutting the cord any time soon. When they can put all the MLB, NFL, College Football, NBA, golf, tennis and whatever else on Amazon Prime or Netflix then I'll make the switch. Until then I'll stick with Direct TV.

Exact boat I am in. If I was to cut the cord, I would probably end up spending more money due to having to go to a bar to watch the games.

thunderbird1100 07-05-2017 01:45 PM

When I priced cutting the cord, it made no sense to me. I pay around $160/month for Charter for internet, every single channel tv and phone. Pretty much any streaming service I cant get ALL the channels like I have now, I make sacrifices here and there and the top packages on those streaming service get very pricey, with some of them not having DVR which is a MUST for me. I priced out playstation vue which has DVR, which for me would be $75/month...which is basically what I'm paying for cable right now...and still is missing some channels i have now. Like CBS which is a huge pain because football season is huge for CBS with me. I dont want to have OTA antenna everything just to get CBS. Among other channels.

It's just too much of a pain with no cost benefit to my personal situation right now. I almost jumped on that initial $35/month DirecTV deal for their top package, then add $5 for HBO/Showtime each...but no DVR just killed it for me.

Things are getting better and better with more and more competition in this space, so i will wait this out a bit longer until another deal like the one above comes out and maybe jump on that once the experience gets better overall.

I will say I recently had to switch from xfinity to spectrum(charter) and it was like dialing back my cable tv experience a decade. Holy blue menu guides and original DVR services again. I was mortified to find out we had to record a show one EVERY tv box if we wanted to watch it that location, couldnt just do it on 1 and watch anywhere. Also can only record 2 shows at once, and if you do that, cant watch anything but one of those 2 shows (2 tuners....ugh).

DavidK442 07-05-2017 01:55 PM

We have been a cable and satellite free family since 1999. Slim pickings in Canada for streaming services, but at least Netflix.ca is catching up to its American counterpart.
Amazon still hasn't launched here and the Best Buy service (whatever it was called), sputtered and died almost at inception.
This year I broke down and paid Fox their $40 to stream the Superbowl, but otherwise we're not professional sports fanatics so the network's stranglehold on ball and puck chasing doesn't impact us.

Fizban19 07-05-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54069585)
I cut the cord over a year ago, I get my local channels in HD over the air antenna, no problem watching the NFL on Sunday, every city carries their local team over the air, I have Verizon Fios, cut the cable TV and only kept the internet service for $58 a month which includes all the taxes, no need to pay for nothing but garbage they are feeding the masses.

So what do you do when you want to watch hockey, baseball and basketball? Go to a bar or friends house?

I am unfortunately a fan of all the major sports, so can't cut Fios TV......