AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Poll: Are You Cutting the Cord on July 7, 2017? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2888049-poll-you-cutting-cord-july-7-2017-a.html)

imagic 07-05-2017 10:56 AM

Poll: Are You Cutting the Cord on July 7, 2017?

In the last year, cutting the cord has grown from a trickle to a stream. Soon, it will become a flood! Are you planning on cutting the cord this July 7, aka "Cut the Cord Day"?

Read more about the cord-cutting trend by clicking here, or just take the poll!

spencer777 07-05-2017 11:10 AM

Cut the Cord 7 yrs ago. So happy services like Vue and Sling came about. They have all the good of cable without the b.s. fees and contracts.

KSpan 07-05-2017 11:15 AM

Had and enjoyed DirecTv for 5 years and had an overall great experience with them, but realized in 2014 that we simply didn't watch it enough to justify the rapidly-increasing cost. Been Netflix/Amazon Prime-only ever since and other than the Sunday Ticket (favorite team isn't local) we haven't felt like we're missing anything at all. I'd gladly pay a couple hundred to be able to stream NFL games but they don't seem to want to go that route yet, so until they do I'll get by.

Mattopotamus 07-05-2017 11:41 AM

I just care about sports too much to cut the cord (NFL is a must). Also, the wife always seems to have it on for background noise. Without getting too deep into the cost, you get pretty close to the same cost cutting the cord because you lose that excellent internet price. I pay $70 for gigabyte speeds. It would cost significantly more without TV.

gkdiamond 07-05-2017 11:42 AM

"Another issue with cable TV is cost. Simply put, the monthly packages continue to get more expensive. Customers are forced to buy “bundles” of channels to gain access to the shows they want. Add to that the extraordinarily poor reputation that cable company customer service has earned, and the rigidity of cable company contracts, and it’s clear that consumers would eventually flock to a superior alternative." - That pretty much says it all.

I cut the cord a long time ago. All you need is OTA, a Roku (or similar device) and Internet service.

Fizban19 07-05-2017 11:47 AM

I've had Verizon Fios for the last 5-6 years. Never had a problem with their internet or TV. Everything works....but they are getting expensive, however, I'm not sure if getting everything separate would be that much cheaper. I have their triple play (phone, internet, TV). The problem for me is I'm into just about every major sport. Some guys are only into say football and may get the "Season Ticket", etc., so it might be worth it for them. I'm into baseball, hockey, basketball, football......only football has local coverage on Fox or CBS. All other sports I would need some kind of package to watch my local teams play, especially hockey and basketball. The NY teams are almost always on cable only, no local broadcast, unless they are playing in the "game of the week".

So, i'm pretty much screwed. I priced some stuff out. I can get 100/100mbps internet for $49.99/mo plus taxes and fees, so lets say that's $65 just for that. Then I can get cheap phone service (always kept a landline in case of emergencies) for $10/mo plus taxes and fees, so say $15. Right there is $80/mo and I haven't even looked into TV programming options/sports packages, etc.

It's the sports that is my downfall!! LOL

afrogt 07-05-2017 11:51 AM

What is the significance of July 7, 2017?

wxman 07-05-2017 11:59 AM

If one does not prefer to pay the high price of DirecTV via satellite, one can always stream DirecTV for a lot less. I wouldnt be surprised if in 5 years , DirecTV drops the satellite service and is just a streaming service. You provide your own equipment.

imagic 07-05-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrogt (Post 54067625)

It's an excuse to talk about cord cutting, helped along by TCL's sponsorship.

burton14e7 07-05-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering the same thing.

Mattopotamus 07-05-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

more of a timestamp would be my guess.

WVZR1 07-05-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Don't know but maybe the "poll guy" is a Friday "kind-a-guy" Tomorrow will be 7/6/17 - Had he mentioned SOON maybe he suspected we all might be takers and it influence the poll. BY Friday? Not me! Soon - maybe!

OTA is a larger influence for the masses I believe than some suspect. If OTA was easy - I'd be gone - DVR capability I believe right now influences many.

imagic 07-05-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burton14e7 (Post 54067873)
I'm wondering the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattopotamus (Post 54067937)
more of a timestamp would be my guess.

Yeah basically. Something similar has been tried on different dates in years past, but before now it was not picked up by any sort of sponsor. And now we have a poll that we can compare to future polls. So timestamp is about right!

Blitzdog 07-05-2017 12:11 PM

Cut the cord in 2011

Bill-99 07-05-2017 12:19 PM

While we've dabbled from time to time with cable and satellite, we mostly haven't had either. OTA broadcast, library disk loans, and Amazon Prime seem to be enough for now.

chirpie 07-05-2017 12:30 PM

I only have basic cable because it was a cheaper package to have cable + internet than just internet. I don't try to understand the logic, I just play the game.

rramacha 07-05-2017 12:46 PM

I finally went to Hulu Live TV and cut the cord a month ago.

Bull_Auger 07-05-2017 01:00 PM

I cut the cord about 4 years ago. I have three stations that are OTA and the rest is my entertainment is Plex & Netflix. Wish there were more OTA Stations locally.

WOKNROX 07-05-2017 01:02 PM

Not all of us live in an area that can receive OTA and fast internet.
For those of us we still need Dtv

cybertec 07-05-2017 01:11 PM

I cut the cord over a year ago, I get my local channels in HD over the air antenna, no problem watching the NFL on Sunday, every city carries their local team over the air, I have Verizon Fios, cut the cable TV and only kept the internet service for $58 a month which includes all the taxes, no need to pay for nothing but garbage they are feeding the masses.

dlkuhn1974 07-05-2017 01:11 PM

I cut the cord on Monday. While I liked having U-Verse, it was just getting too expensive. I went OTA, but also subscribed to PlayStation Vue, mainly for HBO and live sports.

dnoonie 07-05-2017 01:11 PM

Cut in 2013. I watch most TV on BD from Netflix. I purchase a few shows on BD. A couple shows I'm willing to buy streaming so I can participate on social media.

Viewing habits drove the disconnect, since my work is seasonal I was binge watching anyway so I might as well watch in higher quality for less money. I was also finding shows to watch that I hadn't recorded and watching on BD from Netflix anyway so I might as well save the money.

Cheers,

afrogt 07-05-2017 01:20 PM

I'm a huge sports fan so won't be cutting the cord any time soon. When they can put all the MLB, NFL, College Football, NBA, golf, tennis and whatever else on Amazon Prime or Netflix then I'll make the switch. Until then I'll stick with Direct TV.

airkitty 07-05-2017 01:27 PM

Cut cord four years ago when I moved into my house. Roof antenna (17 channels), new Apple TV, LG tv with lots of apps and Xumo, Oppo for disc. Way more content options than needed.

mttpalmer 07-05-2017 01:28 PM

Can't get OTA due to geographic interference and can't get reliable, fast internet other than through the cable company.

I did cut the (phone) cord back in 2004 though.

kohlgren 07-05-2017 01:38 PM

never had a cord to cut, why pay for commercials?
early adopter of roku "netflix" player, on my 4th roku box, just got the roku premire

Mattopotamus 07-05-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrogt (Post 54069801)
I'm a huge sports fan so won't be cutting the cord any time soon. When they can put all the MLB, NFL, College Football, NBA, golf, tennis and whatever else on Amazon Prime or Netflix then I'll make the switch. Until then I'll stick with Direct TV.

Exact boat I am in. If I was to cut the cord, I would probably end up spending more money due to having to go to a bar to watch the games.

thunderbird1100 07-05-2017 01:45 PM

When I priced cutting the cord, it made no sense to me. I pay around $160/month for Charter for internet, every single channel tv and phone. Pretty much any streaming service I cant get ALL the channels like I have now, I make sacrifices here and there and the top packages on those streaming service get very pricey, with some of them not having DVR which is a MUST for me. I priced out playstation vue which has DVR, which for me would be $75/month...which is basically what I'm paying for cable right now...and still is missing some channels i have now. Like CBS which is a huge pain because football season is huge for CBS with me. I dont want to have OTA antenna everything just to get CBS. Among other channels.

It's just too much of a pain with no cost benefit to my personal situation right now. I almost jumped on that initial $35/month DirecTV deal for their top package, then add $5 for HBO/Showtime each...but no DVR just killed it for me.

Things are getting better and better with more and more competition in this space, so i will wait this out a bit longer until another deal like the one above comes out and maybe jump on that once the experience gets better overall.

I will say I recently had to switch from xfinity to spectrum(charter) and it was like dialing back my cable tv experience a decade. Holy blue menu guides and original DVR services again. I was mortified to find out we had to record a show one EVERY tv box if we wanted to watch it that location, couldnt just do it on 1 and watch anywhere. Also can only record 2 shows at once, and if you do that, cant watch anything but one of those 2 shows (2 tuners....ugh).

DavidK442 07-05-2017 01:55 PM

We have been a cable and satellite free family since 1999. Slim pickings in Canada for streaming services, but at least Netflix.ca is catching up to its American counterpart.
Amazon still hasn't launched here and the Best Buy service (whatever it was called), sputtered and died almost at inception.
This year I broke down and paid Fox their $40 to stream the Superbowl, but otherwise we're not professional sports fanatics so the network's stranglehold on ball and puck chasing doesn't impact us.

Fizban19 07-05-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54069585)
I cut the cord over a year ago, I get my local channels in HD over the air antenna, no problem watching the NFL on Sunday, every city carries their local team over the air, I have Verizon Fios, cut the cable TV and only kept the internet service for $58 a month which includes all the taxes, no need to pay for nothing but garbage they are feeding the masses.

So what do you do when you want to watch hockey, baseball and basketball? Go to a bar or friends house?

I am unfortunately a fan of all the major sports, so can't cut Fios TV......

losservatore 07-05-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattopotamus (Post 54067441)
I just care about sports too much to cut the cord (NFL is a must).

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrogt (Post 54069801)
I'm a huge sports fan so won't be cutting the cord any time soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizban19 (Post 54071017)

The reason on why many peope still have cable. (Sports)...

khackshaw 07-05-2017 02:19 PM

I cut the cord back in 2016 and ended up coming back in 2017 because there still is no easy way to get everything I want via cord-cutting. I had direct TV and gigabit fiber from AT&T, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime, but figured I'd save the $70/mth of Directv by going to Sling. Great service and they even had all the sports I wanted via ESPN and some other channels, but the issue for me was during College Football season, I want to flick back and forth and watch a bunch of games at once. While it's doable, it's a bit of a PITA to do so as I'm switching from Sling to locals on the antenna and back again. Simply a smoother experience on Uverse.

Plus, having my cable, wireless and TV with one provider gave me some GREAT pricing, and to be honest, I haven't had any issues with AT&T re their service (Now Comcast on the other hand...)

Until I can cut the cord and have the same level of convenience that I currently enjoy with the big boys, then I'm staying corded.

cybertec 07-05-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khackshaw (Post 54071217)
I cut the cord back in 2016 and ended up coming back in 2017 because there still is no easy way to get everything I want via cord-cutting. I had direct TV and gigabit fiber from AT&T, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime, but figured I'd save the $70/mth of Directv by going to Sling. Great service and they even had all the sports I wanted via ESPN and some other channels, but the issue for me was during College Football season, I want to flick back and forth and watch a bunch of games at once. While it's doable, it's a bit of a PITA to do so as I'm switching from Sling to locals on the antenna and back again. Simply a smoother experience on Uverse.

Plus, having my cable, wireless and TV with one provider gave me some GREAT pricing, and to be honest, I haven't had any issues with AT&T re their service (Now Comcast on the other hand...)

Until I can cut the cord and have the same level of convenience that I currently enjoy with the big boys, then I'm staying corded.

How about removing your face from the TV, there is many things you can do instead of becoming a vegetable glued to the tube.

cybertec 07-05-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54069585)

So what do you do when you want to watch hockey, baseball and basketball? Go to a bar or friends house?

I am not a sports fanatic, I have a life, these overpaid athletes could care less about you, so you are paying all that money to watch a handful of channels, really, do you think the score would be different if you did not watch, you do know you can catch ALL your local teams on the radio, the radio is free. Once you cut the cord and get over your addiction you will be glad that you did.

habe 07-05-2017 02:29 PM

Like the article mentioned, I'm stuck because cable/Dish/Direct is the only way I can get Root Sports PIT and watch Penguins hockey games (majority of them are on Root). To compound the situation, I'm forced on all 3 to buy a package three tiers up, on average, in order to get Root otherwise, I would either cut the cord or go with a base package.

macgeek2371 07-05-2017 03:35 PM

I really enjoyed my DirecTV service and I recently cut the cord back in June. I got tired of paying for channels that I wasn't watching. Now I just use Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu for everything. I save about $50 per month.

eljr 07-05-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencer777 (Post 54066793)
Cut the Cord 7 yrs ago. So happy services like Vue and Sling came about. They have all the good of cable without the b.s. fees and contracts.

i agree but even Sling upsets me as they do the package thing too. I use 1 channel regularly. Another occasionally. The rest never.

Tony~M 07-05-2017 03:46 PM

Silly Poll

This poll is silly.

Nobody is cutting their cord, they are just adjusting what they use it for.

If you switch from Cable TV to Netflix, you are just changing what you do over the same providers bandwidth that you already have. For instance I have Cox Digital Telephone and 100Mbps internet, but don't have Cable TV with them. I use OTA for network television to save a few dollars.

If enough people cancel their TV service the internet providers, most of which are cable companies, will raise their rates for internet service to compensate for their loss in Cable TV revenue. These companies still have a monopoly on our connection to the internet. Most areas only have one, or two, companies that provide high speed internet in their area. We truly have no choice in how we connect to the internet, you need your cord, or satellite internet in remote locations, to enjoy Netflix or other streaming services.

How many of you have truly cut your cord and live without the internet?

May be possible if you linked your laptop through your mobile phone hot spot if you are a very light internet user. However, you are not going to stream Netflix through a mobile hot spot!

I am afraid you still need your cord...

Later,

Tony

eljr 07-05-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54071361)
I am not a sports fanatic, I have a life, these overpaid athletes could care less about you, so you are paying all that money to watch a handful of channels, really, do you think the score would be different if you did not watch, you do know you can catch ALL your local teams on the radio, the radio is free. Once you cut the cord and get over your addiction you will be glad that you did.

how does one determine this?

cybertec 07-05-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljr (Post 54073297)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54071361)

how does one determine this?

determine what.

chichorico 07-05-2017 04:00 PM

I don't remember the last time I paid for Cable, about a year ago when I moved into a new state I needed to find a new ISP lo and behold only Xfinity (comcast) was in my area. They had a pretty good bundle deal that gave me 100Mbps plus TV and HBO it was basically the same price I was paying before only for internet. God what a mistake that was, the shameless fees for TV piled up and they wanted extra fees for HDTV, called them up on it and got all my money back. Ended up with only internet, never again comcast!!!!! never again!

robsis 07-05-2017 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOKNROX (Post 54069361)
Not all of us live in an area that can receive OTA and fast internet.
For those of us we still need Dtv

Or, in my case, I switched from a bundle that included Verizon/CLink/DTV, and went to VZ on it's own (with their discount for paperless billing), and Suddenlink Cable (no OTA where I live...) and saved over 120 per month, and increased my internet speed from 6ish Mbps to 200 Mbps. Win win for me!

I'd love to cut it completely; however, like others have said, the 'bundle' I got (for TV/internet/phone) was less than internet alone...

stef2 07-05-2017 04:30 PM

I will cut the cord on july 7th 2017. Overpaid athletes will have to suffer :wink:

Bozzmonster 07-05-2017 04:58 PM

Cut the cord the first time in 2008. Moved households in 2012 and tried cable again for a short time. Got rid of it for good in 2014. Currently have an antenna in the attic for OTA reception - here in metro Detroit, that is an easy catch. Went with DirectTV Now for the cable channels for $35 a month and have internet only from the local cable provider. Dish DTVPal allows me to record OTA programs. I am am a happy camper!

eljr 07-05-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54073409)
determine what.

that athletes are over paid

Blitzdog 07-05-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

My response is Canadian so perhaps not applicable. NFL and MLB offer paid streaming service where I can catch any game that I please.

eljr 07-05-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stef2 (Post 54074281)
I will cut the cord on july 7th 2017. Overpaid athletes will have to suffer :wink:

I am still not sure what they have to do with the thread or how one determines that they are over paid.

blue 72 07-05-2017 05:06 PM

What in the world does cord-never mean? If it's like me, someone who has never had cable or satellite TV, then I could vote in that grouping.

Tom Riddle 07-05-2017 05:24 PM

Once the sports world catches on with full streaming content, that isn't horrible, I will cut the cord. I'm a sports fanatic and have over 300 dedicated sports channels - yeah, I'm that guy that watched Division III football, lol. Until then, it's DirecTV. Netflix is our primary for shows, with the exception of a few.

cybertec 07-05-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljr (Post 54074977)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stef2 (Post 54074281)
I will cut the cord on july 7th 2017. Overpaid athletes will have to suffer https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images..._face_wink.png

I am still not sure what they have to do with the thread or how one determines that they are over paid.

Yes it does, why does it bother you that I said they are overpaid, the point I was making is, do you think these clowns give a crap about any of you, sell they are is overpaid entertainers, reason is because people buy their overpriced product, and treat them like they are some type of God, people in today's society have completely lost touch with reality. All they are doing to you on TV is nothing more than all you their products, and the zombiefied population goes along with their BS, reason is they have become zombies.

imagic 07-05-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue 72 (Post 54075065)
What in the world does cord-never mean? If it's like me, someone who has never had cable or satellite TV, then I could vote in that grouping.

Yes that's what cord-never means!

dukemc 07-05-2017 05:52 PM

I cut the cord about 6 months ago and happy I did. I have a Roku 3 & 4 along with PSVue & Amazon prime. I wanted to cut the cord a cpl yrs ago but no local tv news. Vue now has one of my local CBS stations plus other apps on Roku has every tv station (7) in my state on just for news only so no prob there. I get 90% of programs I watched on Direct tv at 1/3 the cost. Direct tv has stated that they hope to be 100% streaming in 3 years. I think PSVue is probably the best of the choices available now.

reallynotnick 07-05-2017 05:55 PM

I literally turned down saving $5 a month by getting cable bundled with my internet. I didn't want to bother with storing a box in my home unplugged and returning it. Not to mention last time when my old roommate did this, they ended up turning off our internet for 4 days when we discontinued cable, but not internet. It's way too much of a hassle even when Comcast pays me to have the freaking thing. :)

kleenex 07-05-2017 05:55 PM

Cord Cutting is only going to get worse over time. 2-3 million a year in cord cutting adds up over time. I want as much of it as possible, but that will lead to some new problems.

audioguy 07-05-2017 05:58 PM

I was ready to pull the plug but realized I could not get (live) all of the major networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, ABC). Except for sports, I would not care but I am a college football addict and have no interest in watching them delayed by a day. Every other channel we watch is available on Hulu Live.

When they figure that part out, I will jump ship. We pay about $130 a month (DirecTV) and we watch about 11 channels (if I count correctly). I can't wait for the streaming companies to crush the satellite and cable companies since that is what they have done to us for the last 40 years.

NetGod 07-05-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony~M (Post 54073217)
This poll is silly.

If you switch from Cable TV to Netflix, you are just changing what you do over the same providers bandwidth that you already have. For instance I have Cox Digital Telephone and 100Mbps internet, but don't have Cable TV with them. I use OTA for network television to save a few dollars.

If enough people cancel their TV service the internet providers, most of which are cable companies, will raise their rates for internet service to compensate for their loss in Cable TV revenue. These companies still have a monopoly on our connection to the internet. Most areas only have one, or two, companies that provide high speed internet in their area. We truly have no choice in how we connect to the internet, you need your cord, or satellite internet in remote locations, to enjoy Netflix or other streaming services.

May be possible if you linked your laptop through your mobile phone hot spot if you are a very light internet user. However, you are not going to stream Netflix through a mobile hot spot!

Later,

Tony

This!
You can't cut the cord. It's a non-option.
You can stop paying for cable tv/satellite tv, but then you will pay double that amount to watch half the programming through the internet.
Oh, and if you think cable/satellite programing is bad, try Hulu, Amazon or Netflix, ACK!!!! What a f***ing joke!
How do I know? Because I did just that, (for about a week). And guess what? My internet bill almost tripled over night.
The only way to cut the cord is to cancel EVERYTHING!
Cancel your cable, your satellite, your internet, and trade in that data hog in your pocket for a good old fashioned flip phone from the year 2002, (i still have mine and it works great. $10 a month!).
The only people who really cut the cord are people who don't watch/interact with any content whatsoever,
or people who are so poor, so miserable, that they promote cord cutting so you can be miserable too!
Whats the old saying? Misery loves company!
No thanks. I'll stay over here on the happy side.

imagic 07-05-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

This poll is silly.

Later,

Tony

It's just called cord-cutting, not meant to be taken literally, and I suspect most people get what it really means. Similar to how they understand that MTV Unplugged did not mean that the microphone itself is unplugged. :D

If you take this too seriously, and semantics too literally, then you run the risk of taking the whole Internet literally and seriously!!!!!

If you have two choices for Internet, then there's no monopoly. Only folks who have no choice.... just one provider for everything.... have the monopoly issue.

Sure, arguable true cord-cutting is going back to OTA. But the reality of Internet service is most people get considerable added value out of it, unlike TV.

Anyhow, the poll may seem silly to you but it's really about starting a conversation. Judging by the number of responses, it succeeded.

Garman 07-05-2017 08:12 PM

Well if they start doing live TV via the Internet with decent feed then yes! I have DTV at two homes on same account and when I split the total cost it doesn't seem so bad... I go over to a buddies house who cut the cord and the damn Amazon TV has buffering issues because he doesn't have fast enough internet speeds, so you pay one way or another. But since most of us pay for internet, I would assume it would be logical to go that route, eventually. When I add up going with boxes to view my TV and all the shows I watch it ends up being the same or similar in price.

https://www.cutcabletoday.com/what-is-sling-tv/

If you take Sling Orange/Blue and add on Movie Channels and Sports your getting to almost the same cost as a full package as DTV, and then you need devices to watch them with, unless you have a Roku like I have but then you need one of those units or some thing else.

bootymonger 07-05-2017 08:36 PM

Cord-never, w00t!

aerodynamics 07-05-2017 08:53 PM

I've looked into the various streaming services and found that a) in order to get the channels I want, I usually have to select the higher tier package and b) they are always missing one of the networks (ie Viacom, CBS, ABC, etc) that the other competitors have. So when you consider the cost of the higher tier package + paying for stand alone internet service which costs more when it isn't bundled with TV, the cost isn't much different.

blazer26 07-05-2017 08:58 PM

I cut the cord 8 years ago, due to rising Directv cost, and the switch over OTA from Analog to Digital TV. Have lots of channels and subchannels. 4 years ago bought an Insignia 32" Roku Ready LED TV to replace my old tube TV, bought Roku Ready Stick model 3400X (Purple stick). Have not used much on streaming except YouTube. Used lots of YouTube and Twit.TV was using SBC Global DSL now AT&T DSL never has problems. Currently, have ATT Uverse Phone/Internet Modem/Router with VoIP, never have problems streaming. Now it's called AT&T Phone/Internet, they dropped Uverse name. I used more OTA and Streaming! Last year I won a TCL Roku 4K 55" TV and still streaming big screen! I also have Samsung 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray player! I also have a Tivo Roamio OTA 500GB DVR. I also have Tivo HD series 3. TCL Roku 4K 55" and Roamio OTA in the living room, Insignia 32" Roku Ready and Tivo HD series 3 in the master bedroom.

clarkss12 07-05-2017 08:59 PM

Quote:

This poll is silly.

Later,

Tony

That is so true.

Kressilac 07-05-2017 09:14 PM

Signed up for Hulu Live, HBO Now, Netflix and Amazon Prime. The occasional Vudu movie thrown in for good measure. Not looking back. MLB.TV gives me what I want for Red Sox baseball. I'll watch the Patriots, Celtics and Bruins at a bar or a friends house.

Price for the combined services is about $50 per month cheaper. Did it because my Media Center PC died and I was staring at set-top box fees that would increase my cable bill about $40 per month. Instead went the other way. Will find a few Xbox One S devices to power my non-smart TVs and we're good. When 4x4 or 2x4 HDMI 2.0a switch can be had for under a grand, I'll add one of those to my rack and be done with the change.

audacious nick 07-05-2017 09:19 PM

Never started to begin with, so nothing to cut.

Dendk 07-05-2017 09:22 PM

Cut the cord over a year ago, would not go back to Sattilite as there is no need especially at the price point of streaming services like PlayStation Vue at less then $45 a month. I currently enjoy NBA, MLB, ESPN, NBC SPORTS, FOX Sports with FS1, FS2, Regional affiliates, Big Ten etc, NFL Network and Red zone and 85 channels of entertainment...and no commitment, Almost forgot DVR service works great.

clarkss12 07-05-2017 09:25 PM

I stopped using cable TV several years ago, and started using OTA. In my area, I receive around 35 channels using a roof mounted antenna. Unfortunately, acquiring internet, can be costly, since there are only two providers in my area, I pay almost $70 for 80 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up.

Been using VOIP phone service for around 12 years now, and that uses my internet, but not intensive. Most of our internet media usage is thru Netflix, or especially YouTube. My experience is that younger kids, prefer YouTube, so in a few years, live TV will go the way of the dodo bird.

Since I detest watching commercials, I either record the shows or sports that I wish to watch, or use the pause/play function. I created my own inexpensive whole home DVR solution, 3 or 4 years ago, using my roof top antenna and a couple of HDHomeRun tuners. Using a $40 device, and a subscription to Schedules Direct, I used TVHeadend server as my 14 day DVR which runs on my network.

Recently, I have been using Emby as my media server/streamer for my networked DVR solution. Emby will run on very low powered, very inexpensive hardware and provides a very nice media experience. One advantage, I can watch live or recorded TV from my inexpensive system anywhere in the world. In other words, if I am in another state, or country, I can watch TV from my home using my antenna on my roof. I can use cellular data or anyone's WiFi. My son that lives in another state, can not receive my local sports teams, in his location, so he can watch my live local channels using his Apple products.

So, yes, I am a cord shaver, but the cable companies will just keep raising the internet cost.

gtgray 07-05-2017 09:32 PM

I am under contract with Comcast. Price for 85 mbs internet and the Premier Digital Tier is $125. I watch tons of Rockets and Astros games. I have a cablecard and don't rent any equipment. If I can get what I get now for less than great. But with some long ago amortized HD Homerun gear which gives me TV everywhere in the houseit will be hard to beat.

Tanquen 07-05-2017 09:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There's a lot of missing value in this thread without a simple I cut the cord when and I currently pay X and for what speed of internet.

After you factor in the increase in your internet price because you're losing out on the bundle is it really worth the hassle?

rekbones 07-05-2017 10:01 PM

Cut the cord a year ago and don't regret it. Although on the fringe area for OTA I can get the 4 networks most of the time with an HD prime and WMS for DVR. Netflix and Hulu commercial free make up the difference saving me about $80 a month over my frontier service. I am sure as the cable providers loose more to streaming they will just up the ISP price to make up the difference but at least its cheaper as of now.

clarkss12 07-05-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekbones (Post 54080761)
Cut the cord a year ago and don't regret it. Although on the fringe area for OTA I can get the 4 networks most of the time with an HD prime and WMS for DVR. Netflix and Hulu commercial free make up the difference saving me about $80 a month over my frontier service. I am sure as the cable providers loose more to streaming they will just up the ISP price to make up the difference but at least its cheaper as of now.

How do you receive OTA channels with the Prime?

techguru34 07-05-2017 10:49 PM

I love sports and my Tivo DVR, so unfortunately it's not worth it to me yet. Once streaming offers something equal to what I have now with sports and Tivo, then I will get out the scissors!

Hyrax 07-05-2017 10:50 PM

The problem I find with getting cable is that they bundle too much crap together. I want to watch Turner Classic Movies, so have to get all sorts of stuff I could care less about. I should also mention the fees. $7.00 for rebroadcasting the local networks is crazy. $5.00 for sports that I don't watch is more crazy.

The final straw for me is that Comcast really ruined the quality of the video when they recently switched to bit-starved, 720P, MP4 video. I guess the video looks OK on a small screen, but too many shows look just awful now on larger TVs. I guess Comcast is preparing for a future when all TV is watched on a phone?

Anyway, I am investigating getting all my TV from and antenna and all my movies and old TV shows from Inter-Library Loan. I do have Amazon Prime because of the shipping and other perks. I will probably keep streaming NetFlix, although it is tempting to drop it. I'm not sure of the benefit of cutting the cord and then paying money to Hulu, Vue, Sling, and/or DTV Now to stream the same stuff.

What I am worried about is what others have mentioned. Comcast will keep on increasing the cost of getting the Internet, so cord cutting will save no money.

Garman 07-05-2017 10:55 PM

How many people switched from one chord to another chord should be the title of this thread! LOL As your basically having to increase your speed and bandwidth in order to stream effectively especially if your viewing via 4K... Can some one please provide a cost Analysis of switching from Cable/DTV/Dish over to SlingTV etc.. I mean no matter how you slice it, not sure if anyone really is saving a ton of money switching from one to another...

Worf 07-05-2017 11:44 PM

Two way cable companies are battling cord cutting - raising internet prices (thanks FCC!) and implementing usage caps and overage fees, because they know all those streamers and less-than-legit methods will consume their caps. And those fees are high, forcing you to upgrade your service...

And the caps are tailored such that unless you're loving alone, once you add another adult, kids, you are going to exceed it. (Heck, what was once the domain of the less-legal users of the internet, has been pushed aside by perfectly legal content providers).

Heck, once you have a few people doing it, 25Mbps service starts being close to the minimum required just to have everyone watching.

TMcG 07-06-2017 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chirpie (Post 54068609)
I only have basic cable because it was a cheaper package to have cable + internet than just internet. I don't try to understand the logic, I just play the game.

Re-quoted for truth. I have a home office and my company pays for monthly high speed internet and landline phone (through their cable modem). Adding a basic cable TV package for two rooms with dual tuner HD DVR was only an extra $25 per month I personally had to pay because of the bundle deal. Before their deal came along, I cut the cord (DirecTV satellite) in 2010.

AlanAbby 07-06-2017 12:32 AM

I hate the tag line of these thing's. No one is cutting any cord. Bits come over CATV or IP there is still a cord. Companies lose enough CATV subscribers watch your IP bill begin to rise :-) they will get their money one way or another. I like to archive a lot of TV so streaming just doesn't work for me.

thehun 07-06-2017 01:24 AM

Cut it 6 years ago never looked back. Not a sports fan but if I wanna see some games I'll go to Hooters they have as many flat screen tv's as T&A and the wings they serve. :p

dnoonie 07-06-2017 03:10 AM

Quote:

Later,

Tony

Uhhhhummmm. Not sure why not!? When my Centurylink went down I streamed VUDU via mobile hot spot through my OPPO HDX with DD5.1 and it worked great (much better than Clink)!. I have much faster service through my cellular connection than I had through Centurylink. 7.89Mb/s down and 27ms ping with Clink, 91.6Mb/s and 27ms ping with my cellular connection. VUDU had no problems with that.

I believe cellular will be giving hard line service a hard time when 5G wireless comes out in a few years...maybe sooner.

Cheers,

mightyhuhn 07-06-2017 04:13 AM

i haven't watched cable TV in about ten years.

i have cable i-net so cutting the cord is a bad idea.

eljr 07-06-2017 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue 72 (Post 54075065)
What in the world does cord-never mean? .

it means someone who has never had cable or satellite TV,

lovswr 07-06-2017 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyrax (Post 54081289)
The problem I find with getting cable is that they bundle too much crap together. I want to watch Turner Classic Movies, so have to get all sorts of stuff I could care less about. I should also mention the fees. $7.00 for rebroadcasting the local networks is crazy. $5.00 for sports that I don't watch is more crazy.

The final straw for me is that Comcast really ruined the quality of the video when they recently switched to bit-starved, 720P, MP4 video. I guess the video looks OK on a small screen, but too many shows look just awful now on larger TVs. I guess Comcast is preparing for a future when all TV is watched on a phone?

Anyway, I am investigating getting all my TV from and antenna and all my movies and old TV shows from Inter-Library Loan. I do have Amazon Prime because of the shipping and other perks. I will probably keep streaming NetFlix, although it is tempting to drop it. I'm not sure of the benefit of cutting the cord and then paying money to Hulu, Vue, Sling, and/or DTV Now to stream the same stuff.

What I am worried about is what others have mentioned. Comcast will keep on increasing the cost of getting the Internet, so cord cutting will save no money.

Three pages in & yours is the first post to mention quality. To me, streaming, especially of the 4K variety, can give great quality but I like the 100% (of quality at level X) of linear video. Also I like browsing. Who here that is 50 or over remember the days of the 25 foot-tethered cable box & just going up & down the channels one at a time? :p I'm a huge football fan, both college & pro, & my wife even more so. We have Brighthouse/Spectrum through our HOA & also for internet. We also maintain 1 D* DVR subscription which gets expanded to 4 tuners during football season. I even told her that since the AT&T mothership consumed D* that there would be less of a Sunday Ticket discount & she responded that even at full price, we would still subscribe this year. Even though we are empty nesters, we have a total of 7 HDTV's & my understanding that most of the streaming options do not allow logging into more than 2 devices at the same time.

I have 2 Apple TV's, apps on my Blu-ray players & even a Roku stick thingy in one of the USB ports of my OPPO & while all these devices can deliver the same content as D* & Spectrum, I just don't like that interface. IT feels like I'm "locked in" when I use the IP devices. I know that is silly but it is what it is. Eventually we will be cutting the cord, but hopefully the quality will be more consistent. What I'm really afraid of is 150 basic internet bill with huge caps. :eek:

Tony~M 07-06-2017 05:49 AM

Bandwidth Limits and Cost

Hello Dnoonie,

Hope you are well.

Ah...I was not very clear there. I meant it was not financially feasible.

Mobile data plans are very expensive with data limits that are much lower than the limits on a cord based ISP, therefore you would reach your caps very quickly streaming HD or 4k with HDR over your mobile hot spot.

I have a 25gb 4g LTE data limit with T-Mobile, however, my Hot Spot limit is only 10gb per month. Cox cable limits land lines to 250gb per month, although they don't appear to enforce the stated limit I go over consistently per month.

4k with HDR takes up 11.25 Gigabytes per hour, so my Hot Spot can't even stream 1 hour of that content without running out of data on my plan. Luckily T-Mobile just throttles your data rate after exceeding your limit, instead of charging more for overages.

Wow that Centurylink connection is too slow for 4k with HDR, minimum is a 25 megabit per second connection for 4k HDR. So, yes your speed is much faster with your mobile device. In my area Gigabit internet is available from Fios and Cox Cable, however I find that 100 megabit per second is fast enough for us. The cost of Gigabit is expensive.

Hope I cleared up my thoughts on that.

Later,

Tony

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnoonie (Post 54082737)
Uhhhhummmm. Not sure why not!? When my Centurylink went down I streamed VUDU via mobile hot spot through my OPPO HDX with DD5.1 and it worked great (much better than Clink)!. I have much faster service through my cellular connection than I had through Centurylink. 7.89Mb/s down and 27ms ping with Clink, 91.6Mb/s and 27ms ping with my cellular connection. VUDU had no problems with that.

I believe cellular will be giving hard line service a hard time when 5G wireless comes out in a few years...maybe sooner.

Cheers,

Tony~M 07-06-2017 06:07 AM

Antenna

Hello Lovswr,

Hope you are well.

Lol, cable box? Anyone over a certain age remembers Black and White TV with a 25 foot pole mounted 10 foot outdoor antenna with a rotor. When the rotor failed my Father had to turn the pole with a pipe wrench to tune in the 3 channels we could receive, it was very fast flipping through channels back then. Of course all 3 channels were in different directions....so flip channel, go outside with pipe wrench, yell in window to see if it was tuned in, go back inside, Mmm...nothing good on that channel, forgot to buy TV guide magazine, crap...., turn channel, back outside, turn pole, yell through window...repeat....Remember to buy TV Guide next time.....LOL.

I agree quality is a huge factor. Friends come over to watch football and they are like, "Why is your picture better than mine?" Watching OTA that is why, that compressed crap that they call HD over cable or D* TV is crappy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovswr (Post 54083713)
Who here that is 50 or over remember the days of the 25 foot-tethered cable box & just going up & down the channels one at a time? :p

Later,

Tony

thunderbird1100 07-06-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54071337)
How about removing your face from the TV, there is many things you can do instead of becoming a vegetable glued to the tube.

Guy talks about about "Getting a life", watching sports being stupid and staying away from the tv on an A/V message board. You might want to check where you are posting and be aware SOME people might enjoy things you don't. Everyone has their own way of finding entertainment, if you enjoy taking long walks in the park that's great, some would still rather watch the super bowl. If you are telling people to stay away from their A/V equipment on a A/V message board, might be time to find a new message board then. Different strokes for different folks.

cybertec 07-06-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 (Post 54084625)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54071337)

Guy talks about about "Getting a life", watching sports being stupid and staying away from the tv on an A/V message board. You might want to check where you are posting and be aware SOME people might enjoy things you don't. Everyone has their own way of finding entertainment, if you enjoy taking long walks in the park that's great, some would still rather watch the super bowl. If you are telling people to stay away from their A/V equipment on a A/V message board, might be time to find a new message board then. Different strokes for different folks.

The SB is on FREE TV.

thunderbird1100 07-06-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54084681)
The SB is on FREE TV.

...and way to completely miss the point.

Squirrel! 07-06-2017 06:56 AM

Cut the cord back in 2006 just before football season began. Never looked back, couldn't be happier without the added expense. No need for DVR, with streaming, basically watch whatever, whenever. :cool:

cybertec 07-06-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 (Post 54084801)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54084681)
The SB is on FREE TV.

...and way to completely miss the point.

And your point is. The point is that you are paying for channels that you never watch when you buy a cable TV package, most people watch only a handful of channels and pay for hundreds that show nothing but GARBAGE, this is A HUGE reason people are cutting the cord, especially with the broadband choices that are available today.

itallushrt 07-06-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

What is the significance of July 7...?

A lot! On that day in 1975 a stubborn, lousy SOB entered this world.....me.

On a side note I cut the cord about 7 years ago and don't really miss anything.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thunderbird1100 07-06-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertec (Post 54084905)
And your point is. The point is that you are paying for channels that you never watch when you buy a cable TV package, most people watch only a handful of channels and pay for hundreds that show nothing but GARBAGE, this is A HUGE reason people are cutting the cord, especially with the broadband choices that are available today.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I priced out cutting the cord and save practically no money, so considering it's also more of a hassle to deal with, I did not do it.

I have a lot of channels because I watch a large variety of channels, sports included. Streaming just isn't quite there to match up with that yet especially from a value standpoint. Sure, if I only watched 4 channels then some $20 a month sling package might be great. It doesn't work for me, and clearly doesn't work for a lot of people in this thread still. Cable/Satellite still have a lot of use for people like us, and I'll more than happily pay for the better user experience and selection for now.

Again, just because something works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone.

TuteTibiImperes 07-06-2017 07:10 AM

I've been getting more and more tempted. There are some shows that I like to watch first-run, but more and more I'm enjoying the original content on Netflix and Amazon, as well as their back catalogs of older shows I never watched.

I'm betting that even if I bought season passes on Amazon for the shows I do enjoy watching as they air, I'd still save a bunch of money per month over the $210 or so I shell out to Dish every month. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, I could add HBO Now and Hulu and still end up well ahead.

Rgb 07-06-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chirpie (Post 54068609)

Yes, the standard practice of bundle discounts for TV+internet continues to prohibit reasonable internet-only costs. Don't know why attorney's haven't had a class action field day on that one nationwide.

OTOH, trying to a-la-carte the channels you want always results in same or greater cost than just getting a cable tier channel bundle- the Comcasts and Wow's of the world have teams of accountants and MBA's that do nothing but slice and dice and analyze the crap out of viewing consumption patterns, in order to construct the most profitable groups of channels that consumers will pay for.

My wife wants the Food/A&E/History/MSNBC/CNN/TCM's/etc of the world, which we get with the 80+ channel "Basic SD digital" cable TV + Internet for ~$80 month on WoW (no contract).

I throw WoW a bone because (1) They are not Comcast (2) They continue to send digital cable (SD + HD OTA channels) unencrypted, making recording to hard drive DVR/PC/DVD set top recorder trivial (wife is a teacher and sometimes wants a DVD to use in class), plus can split to any number of QAM tuner TV's and recorders with no box needed.

Also, my recently acquired open box Roku Express for $25 has apps for most of the channels we are interested in, and the pay cable channels like A&E can be linked to the cable provider with a code/website activation combo, so we have access to the cable channels out of town/lake home. You need to subscribe to a cable TV provider/tier in order to link channels to a Roku/tablet/PC browser.

lovswr 07-06-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony~M (Post 54084017)
Hello Lovswr,

Hope you are well.

Lol, cable box? Anyone over a certain age remembers Black and White TV with a 25 foot pole mounted 10 foot outdoor antenna with a rotor. When the rotor failed my Father had to turn the pole with a pipe wrench to tune in the 3 channels we could receive, it was very fast flipping through channels back then. Of course all 3 channels were in different directions....so flip channel, go outside with pipe wrench, yell in window to see if it was tuned in, go back inside, Mmm...nothing good on that channel, forgot to buy TV guide magazine, crap...., turn channel, back outside, turn pole, yell through window...repeat....Remember to buy TV Guide next time.....LOL.

I agree quality is a huge factor. Friends come over to watch football and they are like, "Why is your picture better than mine?" Watching OTA that is why, that compressed crap that they call HD over cable or D* TV is crappy.

Later,

Tony

Touche, Tony, touche. :D

rekbones 07-06-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkss12 (Post 54080801)
How do you receive OTA channels with the Prime?

Sorry it's two tuner HD homerun not the prime.

Kimeran 07-06-2017 08:11 AM

At first I was afraid that I would not have enough to watch.

However, ever since I cut the cord I can't say I have ever run out of things to watch.

I would also say that I probably watch less TV since I just leave it off while I am doing other things, like cleaning the house, since I know my shows will be available when I am done.

Sibuna 07-06-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

This poll is silly.

Later,

Tony

there are some of us like myself who literally don't watch TV. be it cable, OTA or something like netflix. i cut the cord years ago. i have a basic package to make internet cheaper because logic. i don't watch it. i don't have a netflix account or a hulu account or any of those. Sure i have internet for gaming and watching rando crap on youtube. most of it gaming or tech related which aren't on "normal" TV anyway.

also as someone who has a decent LTE signal at their house and unlimited data i can stream whatever i want on my phone. this is extremely common, and easy to do for those that want to do it

kleenex 07-06-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljr (Post 54074977)

The thing here is that ESPN has the highest cost per subscriber of any network. As the big TV package looses 2-3 Million subscribers per year that will easily cut into revenue that ESPN gets per month. Less revenue each month along with fewer viewers next decade will have to force a drop in the TV deal for a sport such as the NBA and the NFL.

That will then have to force lower pay at the top end for people playing sports.

Even this year lower revenue at ESPN caused a whole bunch of on-air talent to get fired.

MikeekiM01 07-06-2017 08:35 AM

I cancelled paid television last month... After looking through my TiVo recordings, I realized that 90% of my recordings were standard network programming (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC and CW). The other 10% was original programming on AMC (e.g., Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, etc...) or the games from my local NBA basketball team on CSN. I bought a TiVo Roamio OTA (to replace my cable-only TiVo Roamio Pro). As a result, I get the same TiVo experience, only with OTA content.

I will absolutely miss the 10% that requires paid television, but it's not worth the incremental cost. I completely understand the bundled pricing phenomenon. And while there are some here who have reported that you can get paid TV bundled for a lower cost than internet only service, this is not my experience. I am sure such a beast exists...I just haven't seen it myself (I haven't seen Elvis, Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster either). :)

It's true that cancelling paid television is not the big money saver that it once was. I was told that my internet only service would be $74.99/mo for 100mbps service, and that I could get a double play bundle with a medium sized (150 channel) television package for $89.99/mo (only $15.00 more). They told me that I would not be eligible for a single service pricing promotion because I was already on a double play and they don't provide promotions for people reducing their service.

So $15/mo adds up to $180/year... Not much, right? The problem is that the internet service is not taxed (at least not in my area). So $74.99 is $74.99. Television has the additional taxes and surcharges. On last month's bill (before my cancellation), I had to pay an additional $11.88 broken down like this:
  • Broadcast TV Fee: $5.00
  • Regional Sports Fee: $3.00
  • Franchise Fee: $2.77
  • PEG Access Support Fee: $0.90
  • FCC User Fee: $0.08
  • State Sales Tax: $0.13

So very quickly, my $89.99 promotional pricing becomes $101.87! Compare that to the $74.99 internet only service, and my savings increase from $15/mo to $26.88/mo (or $322.56).

But wait...there's more :D

I didn't take their word that I could not get a promotional price on internet only service, so I went down to my local bricks & mortar Comcast office and asked to speak to a customer service representative. Of course she tried to get me to keep my double play (she wouldn't be a good Comcast employee if she didn't at least give it the college try, right?). But in the end, she offered me a 12 month promotional price on internet only service for $59.99. That's an additional $15.00/mo savings from the standard $74.99/mo pricing.

So by cancelling paid television, what at first looked like a $15.00/mo savings turns into a $41.88/mo (or $502.56/year) in savings.

Of course, there is the longer term question of whether I can continue receiving the internet only promotional pricing. However, there's also the question of whether I can continue the double play promotional pricing. There will always be the game you need to play at the end of the promotional period where you need to speak to retention to see if you can optimize your pricing... It's standard operating procedure at this point...

By the way, do you notice that I hadn't used the words "cut the cord" in any of the above? I agree with others that cutting the cord in 2017 has a completely different meaning than it did a decade ago... I prefer to say that I cancelled paid television service. :)

imagic 07-06-2017 09:37 AM

In 2017, "cut the cord" means to rejecting the bundles and contracts of cable/satellite, more so than a physical act of disconnecting and relying on OTA.

Tony~M 07-06-2017 09:46 AM

Unlimited 4g LTE?

Hello Sibuna,

Hope you are well.

What digital phone carrier are you using that has unlimited 4g LTE? Most carriers in my area have a max cap of 30gb before throttling to 2g speeds, or you pay for overages through the nose with other companies.

Mine has unlimited data, but only 25gb per month of 4g LTE speed. After I get to the 25gb cap my data is limited to 2g speeds which is useless for streaming anything.

Streaming HD is around 3gb per hour, which is only 8.3 hours per month before it is useless for even internet at throttled 2g speeds. Therefore, I must monitor how much video I consume on mobile. If I use my Hot Spot I am limited to 10gb per month 4g LTE, then throttled to 2g speed thereafter. This is T-Mobile.

I want your plan, my Kids always exceed their 25gb limit by the end of the month and have to wait for the next cycle to do anything.

How much is it, and what company?

Thanks,

Tony

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibuna (Post 54086825)
There are some of us, like myself, who literally don't watch TV. Be it cable, OTA or something like Netflix. I cut the cord years ago. I have a basic package to make internet cheaper because logic. I don't watch it. I don't have a Netflix account or a Hulu account or any of those. Sure I have internet for gaming and watching random crap on YouTube, most of it gaming or tech related, which aren't on "normal" TV anyway.

Also, as someone who has a decent LTE signal at their house and unlimited data, I can stream whatever I want on my phone. This is extremely common, and easy to do for those that want to do it.