The Google-YouTube Live TV Streaming Service Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 Old 11-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
You have our HDMI connections stated correctly. We usually use the AVR remote to select "source" - Roku, audio streaming, Chromecast video etc. We choose the YTTV channel to send via app on PC- sometimes from phone or tablet.
For audio - there is a casting icon on Pandora and Spotify (and maybe others) that when you click on it a list of all possible casting end points (speakers) are listed. You can choose just one - or form groups so that all speakers in a group are getting audio signal. We have 1. AVR 2. speaker set up next to computer (have an a/b switch to choose between computer as source or the audio as the source 3. bedroom (CC audio plugged into small sound bar) 4. Google Home device in kitchen area. We formed a group w. all four in the group.
We also splurged at this point and got a Google wifi system. No breakups or weak signal problems. Sound comes thru steadily for hours. Had an extension booster for wifi before - but definitely didn't work to well for us when I set up audio system.
Thanks. I'm going to sign up after the weekend. I'll have to pay for at least one month to try the Chromecast devise.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 58 Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Thanks. I'm going to sign up after the weekend. I'll have to pay for at least one month to try the Chromecast devise.
We found the CC device useful long before YTTV came along. Watching plain YT videos on big screen, looking at videos from other sources, and home made video and pics. I think they still have the "free" CC device offer w. the first paid month.
snidely is online now  
post #33 of 58 Old 11-15-2017, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Thanks. I'm going to sign up after the weekend. I'll have to pay for at least one month to try the Chromecast devise.
I'm not sure what type of stuff you have, but when I signed up they convinced me that I needed a CC. Turns out I could Airplay it to my Apple TV, or CC it to my Nvidia Shield TV ( from iPhone or iPad) and I already owned all that stuff. They have since released a standalone client for the Nvidia Shield TV as well, and more are coming.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 58 Old 11-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I'm not sure what type of stuff you have, but when I signed up they convinced me that I needed a CC. Turns out I could Airplay it to my Apple TV, or CC it to my Nvidia Shield TV ( from iPhone or iPad) and I already owned all that stuff. They have since released a standalone client for the Nvidia Shield TV as well, and more are coming.
What is a CC?

I plan on going from the Chromecast, BlackRock Audio Adapter for Google Chromecast HDMI to HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + L/R Extractor), and then to my AVR.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.

Last edited by htwaits; 11-16-2017 at 12:35 AM.
htwaits is offline  
post #35 of 58 Old 11-16-2017, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
What is a CC?

I plan on going from the Chromecast, BlackRock Audio Adapter for Google Chromecast HDMI to HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + L/R Extractor), and then to my AVR.
Whoops sorry I might have invented an acronym for Chromecast. My new acronym is also used as both a proper noun and a verb.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
post #36 of 58 Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Whoops sorry I might have invented an acronym for Chromecast. My new acronym is also used as both a proper noun and a verb.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #37 of 58 Old 11-17-2017, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Couple issues so far using YouTube TV for Android TV (Shield TV)

1) Not entirely happy with them upscaling 720p content, they should just pass native. It ends up being worse than my local cable service for Hockey. Very juddery if that's a word

2) No easy ff and Rew controls

3). No 30 sec skip

4). No 15 sec back

5). No standard command to clear the menu and return to program. This is of particular importance because without it you can't create a reliable ff or rew macro.

6). When accessing a currently recording program it starts at the live(current) location rather than the beginning. Very annoying for sports.

It's almost like the developers never used a standard dvr before...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
reddice likes this.
Mike__P is offline  
post #38 of 58 Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike__P View Post
Couple issues so far using YouTube TV for Android TV (Shield TV)

1) Not entirely happy with them upscaling 720p content, they should just pass native. It ends up being worse than my local cable service for Hockey. Very juddery if that's a word

2) No easy ff and Rew controls

3). No 30 sec skip

4). No 15 sec back

5). No standard command to clear the menu and return to program. This is of particular importance because without it you can't create a reliable ff or rew macro.

6). When accessing a currently recording program it starts at the live(current) location rather than the beginning. Very annoying for sports.

It's almost like the developers never used a standard dvr before...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The judder is from the framerate (30 fps) not the resolution or upscaling. Hulu live TV is the same.

You can notice it on TV shows too but less noticable. On Hulu you can play back shows as live TV @ 30 fps or from the catalog at native framerate of 24fps. Huge difference. Unfortunately sports are only live and you get that judder on everything.

And it's not so much the framerate itself I don't think. At least for TV shows the content is 24 fps and usually with broadcast they send that down 720p60. TVs do a decent job with playback. However what it appears they are doing is just dropping half the frames to save bandwidth which screws up the cadence.
Mike__P likes this.
dwaleke is offline  
post #39 of 58 Old 11-17-2017, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks for the clarification, that is disappointing. I hope in the future they change this. Who do we contact to nip this in the bud,. Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Mike__P is offline  
post #40 of 58 Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike__P View Post
Thanks for the clarification, that is disappointing. I hope in the future they change this. Who do we contact to nip this in the bud,. Lol
I've been telling the "chat" reps to pass on defects to their development team. They seem happy to do that. The failure to provide a way to start watching a recording from the beginning before the game has finished is a big drawback for us. That one issue may be a deal killer for us. A "chat" rep suggested that we could watch games live and then go back and watch the game from the beginning using the recorded copy.

I'm in my fifth trial day and it seems clear the you can get better results with YouTube TV's "chat" if you do one topic per chat. I'll try one month with the Chromecast dongle and see if I can get around the problem with being late to watch a recording game from the beginning.

If anyone has found a list of problems that YouTube TV is working on, that would be a big help. My impression is that they have made choices to get "on the air" as quick as possible.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #41 of 58 Old 11-18-2017, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
We have had it for about 2 months.

Seems to be the PQ has reduced since we first signed up.

I tried FubuTV for about 10 minutes and it was horrible.

I read that YTV was 1080 content. Tried it out, looked great for most stuff. Then the past few weeks it has just gone downhill.

Service wise however it has been flawless. The not being able to start at a recording is a problem but I just turn down the volume and click the start of the timeline before I cast it.

I just installed it on my Shield TV and that may not work anymore. However the Shield app has a information display showing resolution, network speed, etc that is pretty nice.

Some channels come through at 1080 but the rest are 720 and it is a pretty poor 720 image oveall which has been disappointing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_134158 - Copy.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	661.8 KB
ID:	2317564  
reddice likes this.
Eric_Connelly is offline  
post #42 of 58 Old 11-18-2017, 02:18 PM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
We have had it for about 2 months.

Seems to be the PQ has reduced since we first signed up.

I read that YTV was 1080 content. Tried it out, looked great for most stuff. Then the past few weeks it has just gone downhill.

Service wise however it has been flawless. The not being able to start at a recording is a problem but I just turn down the volume and click the start of the timeline before I cast it.
Be sure to let YouTube TV know you want to start watching recordings at at the beginning when they are still being recording. The "Chat" techs seem to be happy to notify the development team of glitches like that. What do they say about your loss of image quality?

Is your Chromecast dongle attached to an AVR or to your TV? I'm assuming that their dongle is always on. Is that true?

I'm still in the trial period so I haven't had a chance to cast.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #43 of 58 Old 11-18-2017, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Be sure to let YouTube TV know you want to start watching recordings at at the beginning when they are still being recording. The "Chat" techs seem to be happy to notify the development team of glitches like that. What do they say about your loss of image quality?

Is your Chromecast dongle attached to an AVR or to your TV? I'm assuming that their dongle is always on. Is that true?

I'm still in the trial period so I haven't had a chance to cast.
Good point about starting recording at beginning. I don't want to know what the score is 45 minutes into game when I want to watch from beginning.
If you log on to YTTV on a PC and right click on your mouse when cursor is on pic - you get a box called "info for nerds". It usually shows 1080 resolution 30fps. Haven't checked ESPN to see if it's 60 fps during a game.
snidely is online now  
post #44 of 58 Old 11-18-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I've been telling the "chat" reps to pass on defects to their development team. They seem happy to do that. The failure to provide a way to start watching a recording from the beginning before the game has finished is a big drawback for us. That one issue may be a deal killer for us. A "chat" rep suggested that we could watch games live and then go back and watch the game from the beginning using the recorded copy.

I'm in my fifth trial day and it seems clear the you can get better results with YouTube TV's "chat" if you do one topic per chat. I'll try one month with the Chromecast dongle and see if I can get around the problem with being late to watch a recording game from the beginning.

If anyone has found a list of problems that YouTube TV is working on, that would be a big help. My impression is that they have made choices to get "on the air" as quick as possible.
Yeah I've used 3 different streaming TV services and the biggest takeaway is that none of the developers watch sports. It is nearly impossible to time delay sports without spoiling the outcome using these services.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
post #45 of 58 Old 11-19-2017, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Be sure to let YouTube TV know you want to start watching recordings at at the beginning when they are still being recording. The "Chat" techs seem to be happy to notify the development team of glitches like that. What do they say about your loss of image quality?

Is your Chromecast dongle attached to an AVR or to your TV? I'm assuming that their dongle is always on. Is that true?

I'm still in the trial period so I haven't had a chance to cast.
Both, we have 4 TV's and 3 are right in the TV, the other is in the AVR. Yes they are always on.

Now that the Shield has YTV I'll remove the CC from the AVR.

The image I posted was on a 120" screen so resolution degradation showed more easily.

So far it has been in PQ:

DirectTV
YTV
Comcast

I hear DTV's streaming service is now 1080p but no DVR.
Eric_Connelly is offline  
post #46 of 58 Old 11-19-2017, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Good point about starting recording at beginning. I don't want to know what the score is 45 minutes into game when I want to watch from beginning.
If you log on to YTTV on a PC and right click on your mouse when cursor is on pic - you get a box called "info for nerds". It usually shows 1080 resolution 30fps. Haven't checked ESPN to see if it's 60 fps during a game.
The Shield has that also, it is in the pic I posted and only shows 1280x720.
Eric_Connelly is offline  
post #47 of 58 Old 11-19-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Buckeye911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike__P View Post
They made such a nice push for it during the MLB world series it is a bit of a joke that they didn't work with more television partners to have the App ready. Using the phone as a remote is less than ideal...

Just for giggles, I called LG to see when they will add it to their content store and the expected response was "youtube is already there". Google may have picked an unfortunate name for their new service.
It's there now. I installed the app on my LG TV yesterday, I think it was added on the 16th of this month.
Mike__P likes this.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Buckeye911 is offline  
post #48 of 58 Old 11-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yeah, I saw that it's on the LG apps now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Buckeye911 likes this.
Mike__P is offline  
post #49 of 58 Old 11-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone who has an harmony hub you can create a fairly clunky sequence to ff 30 sec skip. Commands are ff, right, right, 1 sec delay, play, back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Mike__P is offline  
post #50 of 58 Old 11-19-2017, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wildwood, MO
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 320
On the LG TV app, go to the ... section to the right of the content you've viewing. There's a "stats for nerds" section that will display all the streaming statistics.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
brentsg is offline  
post #51 of 58 Old 11-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Member
 
HarryWild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The only advantage of YouTube TV is the storage. Other then that Direct TV Now and Sling TV are more available in more streaming boxes and have much more channels and plain content of every sort. Google needs to get their apps in more locations like built-in TV streaming by tv manufacturers and the other boxes and sticks. Google has the resources to do it fair quickly. Apple TV may not be so quick since Google is direct competitor with Apple TV and they both had been on feuds from time to time.
HarryWild is offline  
post #52 of 58 Old 11-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I am ready to switch today.

Their live transcoding is horrible. I'm watching Michigan/Ohio State and the live video is terrible but when they play a commercial, or some of the canned video's they play during the game it looks great.

It is not even motion artifacts, static text on the screen is fuzzy.
Eric_Connelly is offline  
post #53 of 58 Old 11-25-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
I am ready to switch today.

Their live transcoding is horrible. I'm watching Michigan/Ohio State and the live video is terrible but when they play a commercial, or some of the canned video's they play during the game it looks great.

It is not even motion artifacts, static text on the screen is fuzzy.
All live TV streaming providers suffer from this. I'm convinced the networks are handing off a crippled stream to not compete with cable providers.

On demand content doesn't seem to suffer the same way.
dwaleke is offline  
post #54 of 58 Old 11-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Eric_Connelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
All live TV streaming providers suffer from this. I'm convinced the networks are handing off a crippled stream to not compete with cable providers.

On demand content doesn't seem to suffer the same way.
I'm watching F1 Qualifying from this morning which they claim was live and it looks great.

World Series looked good but football in general has been poor.
Eric_Connelly is offline  
post #55 of 58 Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
I'm watching F1 Qualifying from this morning which they claim was live and it looks great.

World Series looked good but football in general has been poor.
My brother and I compared F1 and Nascar both from Youtube TV, Hulu Live TV, and his comcast connection. Even though you could tell the comcast signal was compressed the motion was by far better than the other two.

There's something odd with the LiveTV streams. They come over 30fps which by itself wouldn't be a big deal, but for TV shows that are originally 24fps they are doing something like 24->60 / 2 = 30fps. They just drop half the frames to save bandwidth (I assume) and they mess up the cadence. You'd think sports would be ok as I bet the source is actually 60fps (streamed at 30fps). But motion just isn't right.

1080i30 and 720p60 from a cable provider has better motion which is a shame.
dwaleke is offline  
post #56 of 58 Old 11-25-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I've been watching Oakland Warriors BB games on the NBCBayareasports channel. Quality is so-so at 30fps. Watched them via ESPN last week. ESPN and a few other sports are at 60fps. BIG improvement in quality.
snidely is online now  
post #57 of 58 Old 11-26-2017, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 5,820
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
All live TV streaming providers suffer from this. I'm convinced the networks are handing off a crippled stream to not compete with cable providers.

On demand content doesn't seem to suffer the same way.
The networks don't do the transcoding, the ott provider does, ott on the fly is very resource intensive. Every ott provider will have/ still does have issues. On demand doesn't need real time transcoding.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is offline  
post #58 of 58 Old 11-26-2017, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Giving Voice Commands

Altho it's been in existence for over a month - just tried using Google Home and new Google Mini to give commands to video we are watching (streaming) to big screen.
Works perfectly. Didn't realize it til now --- you can use the "Google Assistant" on your smart phone to automatically pick up and issue commands. Very handy to issue commands to skip any length of time you want thru commercials.

Just need them to add CNN and a few more channels.
snidely is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off