The Google-YouTube Live TV Streaming Service Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 08-03-2017, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The Google-YouTube Live TV Streaming Service Thread

I have seen no comments or reviews of this service. It started about six months ago in five cities including San Francisco and LA. In the last week they added 10 more cities.
Washington, D.C., Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Charlotte, and Dallas-Fort Worth. + original L.A., New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, and the San Francisco Bay area.
All cities have all 4 major Networks except Dallas which lacks ABC.

Picture quality is outstanding. Unlimited storage for up to nine months. Customer service is OUTstanding. In the 4 or 5 times I've had quick questions in the 6 weeks we've had service, the chat line responds within 30 to 60 seconds. Then they follow up with an email and ask if everything is working okay. Every contact seeks suggestions for improvement.

The major downside is, they do not have CNN (yet) or any other Turner/Time Warner stations. They do not work with Roku or Fire Stick - but say they are working on it. Free trial is 30 days. Cost is $35 a month.
Access now is using your PC, tablet, or phone with the ability to easily chrome cast to your TV screen.

After a couple of decades of using Comcast, and a month of using this service, we took all of our equipment back to Comcast last week. This is obviously a work in progress. There does not seem to be a built-in guide. You can set up your own for this particular service via loading the Titan TV app on your browser. We rarely made use of the Comcast guide.

Oh - You can have 5 separate "sub" accounts under your main account each with their own library. We tested running 3 streams at once w. no problem.
Buckeye911 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 08-04-2017, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 92
post #3 of 58 Old 08-04-2017, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
I wanted to indicate that the service is owned/run by Google. The "online" access from a computer is: tv.youtube.com/live.
CS is given by Google people. Does "conventional" youtube even have CS?
Anyway, it is important to know who is behind the service. DirecTV Now is a partnership w. ATT. DISH owns Sling.
The worst name in the live streaming business is "Playstation Vue". I had always thought it was just an online gaming system. (I'm not the only one who has mentioned that in posts) S/b called "Sony Vue" as it's wholly owned by Sony. I think the only independent streaming service is Hulu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old 08-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
I wanted to indicate that the service is owned/run by Google. The "online" access from a computer is: tv.youtube.com/live.
CS is given by Google people. Does "conventional" youtube even have CS?
Anyway, it is important to know who is behind the service. DirecTV Now is a partnership w. ATT. DISH owns Sling.
The worst name in the live streaming business is "Playstation Vue". I had always thought it was just an online gaming system. (I'm not the only one who has mentioned that in posts) S/b called "Sony Vue" as it's wholly owned by Sony. I think the only independent streaming service is Hulu.

Ok, did you understand that I simply provided YOU with a hyperlink to the forums already existing thread on this service since you claimed you couldn't find it? I didn't create that thread, nor the title.

Last edited by Primestar31; 08-04-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #5 of 58 Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Ok, did you understand that I simply provided YOU with a hyperlink to the forums already existing thread on this service since you claimed you couldn't find it? I didn't create that thread, nor the title.
SORRY. I did not understand you were pointing me to an existing thread. I tried doing a search and didn't find it. Thanks.
Primestar31 likes this.
post #6 of 58 Old 08-26-2017, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Google/YouTube Live has added more cities

Cities w. service are: [Most have all 4 major local networks (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC)
They have the best DVR function. They still lack CNN (and other TimeWarner channels). No device (Roku, Fire Stick) service --You have to use computer, tablet, or phone to cast to TV. Excellent pic. Best CS in business.

Atlanta
Baltimore
Boston
Charlotte
Chicago
Cincinnati
Columbus
Dallas-Fort Worth
Detroit
Houston
Jacksonville
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Louisville
Memphis
Miami-Fort Lauderdale
Minneapolis-Saint Paul
Nashville
New York City
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
San Antonio
San Francisco Bay Area
Seattle
Tampa
Washington DC
West Palm Beach
post #7 of 58 Old 09-04-2017, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There is virtually no discussion on AVS about this service. Even though they are now 40+ cities, I can see why they may be having a tough time recruiting customers.
They only have one package and that lacks many of the basic cable channels-like CNN etc.
We have used it now for 2 1/2 months. The DVR function is excellent. Picture quality is excellent. We are able to make use of it because we have access to a Comcast account, which gives us access to the various "Go" channels like HBOGo, Watch TBS, TNN, CNN et al.
We were paying $84 a month to Comcast - now pay $35 a month to Google.

The customer service is the best I've seen from any company of any type! You get a response on their chat line and 30 seconds. They follow up each contact (I've had four or five) with an email asking how things went and seeking suggestions for improvement.

Google has been at this for barely 5 months. I assume they will be making a serious attempt to provide a first-class operation. Right now, for most people, it would not suffice to be a replacement for cable.
post #8 of 58 Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I added the service in the St. Louis area a few days ago. I was really surprised that there are no apps. I don't own a Chromecast, so iPad it is for now. We won't be using it much for this reason.

They said they'd send a fee Chromecast AFTER the free trial, which is dumb. Send it now, bill early for the first month, whatever.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One X
post #9 of 58 Old 09-05-2017, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 3249
Quote:
There is virtually no discussion on AVS about this service. Even though they are now 40+ cities, I can see why they may be having a tough time recruiting customers.
They only have one package and that lacks many of the basic cable channels-like CNN etc.
We have used it now for 2 1/2 months. The DVR function is excellent. Picture quality is excellent. We are able to make use of it because we have access to a Comcast account, which gives us access to the various "Go" channels like HBOGo, Watch TBS, TNN, CNN et al.
We were paying $84 a month to Comcast - now pay $35 a month to Google.

The customer service is the best I've seen from any company of any type! You get a response on their chat line and 30 seconds. They follow up each contact (I've had four or five) with an email asking how things went and seeking suggestions for improvement.

Google has been at this for barely 5 months. I assume they will be making a serious attempt to provide a first-class operation. Right now, for most people, it would not suffice to be a replacement for cable.
Word has it they are losing money on every subscription at this point, the theory is they will make it up in advertising. If they don't pick up some channels they are missing they'll be gone in two years. OTT market is still not that big.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #10 of 58 Old 09-05-2017, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I added the service in the St. Louis area a few days ago. I was really surprised that there are no apps. I don't own a Chromecast, so iPad it is for now. We won't be using it much for this reason.

They said they'd send a fee Chromecast AFTER the free trial, which is dumb. Send it now, bill early for the first month, whatever.
You can pay for your next month now. I had a CCast but it was ver. 1 and took 30 seconds to connect to a channel. Ver. 2 connects instantly. It arrived in less than 5 days.

BTW - How long is your trial period? When I signed up a couple months ago, it was 30 days.
post #11 of 58 Old 09-06-2017, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can pay for your next month now. I had a CCast but it was ver. 1 and took 30 seconds to connect to a channel. Ver. 2 connects instantly. It arrived in less than 5 days.

BTW - How long is your trial period? When I signed up a couple months ago, it was 30 days.
2 weeks

I tried to pay now and they said no. Prob just cancel it.. plenty of streaming services around.

Last edited by brentsg; 09-06-2017 at 03:00 AM.
post #12 of 58 Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Tried it for a month, watched it maybe twice. Missing 6 out of the top ten and 12 out of the 20 cable channels. Casting is a terrible way to watch tv. Can't see this making it if they are losing money, just to get add revenue.
post #13 of 58 Old 10-24-2017, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just thought I would mention that you can now give many voice commands to your YTTV service IF you have a Google Home device. Am out of town and haven't tried it yet.
post #14 of 58 Old 11-01-2017, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New Nvidia Shield TV adds YouTube TV support in a new update that just released.

post #15 of 58 Old 11-02-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Youtube TV was heavily advertised during the World Series last night. I use Playstation Vue currently, but I may try a free Trial of this new service on the Shield.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #16 of 58 Old 11-02-2017, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Looks like it's live for Sony Bravia, Shield TV and Nexus Player.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...be.tvunplugged
post #17 of 58 Old 11-03-2017, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 107
PSVue user: I started a free trial this morning and was surprised that it had some semi-local TV stations (none on PSV) as I live in the sticks. So far video quality seems OK but I’m a little disappointed with no surround sound. I’ll try it for seven days and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 58 Old 11-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
PSVue user: I started a free trial this morning and was surprised that it had some semi-local TV stations (none on PSV) as I live in the sticks. So far video quality seems OK but I’m a little disappointed with no surround sound. I’ll try it for seven days and see.

During the trial what are you using to view the YouTube TV programs?

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #19 of 58 Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
During the trial what are you using to view the YouTube TV programs?

My apologies for not stating that. I’m using the Nvidia Shield.

post #20 of 58 Old 11-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post
My apologies for not stating that. I’m using the Nvidia Shield.

Thanks for the reply.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #21 of 58 Old 11-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Just thought I would mention that you can now give many voice commands to your YTTV service IF you have a Google Home device. Am out of town and haven't tried it yet.
I sent you a pm and I'm interested in picking your brain about setup issues. We have an iMax, iPhone, iPad, and a Win10 PC. I'm assuming that we could watch YouTube TV on all four devices and that we could cast from the iPhone and the iPad for sure.

We route everything through our AVR. Do you know if it's possible to connect the Chromecast to the AVR and cast through the AVR/Chromecast to our non-smart TV? The Kuro TV is old enough that it doesn't have an HDMI ARC connection.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #22 of 58 Old 11-07-2017, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I sent you a pm and I'm interested in picking your brain about setup issues. We have an iMax, iPhone, iPad, and a Win10 PC. I'm assuming that we could watch YouTube TV on all four devices and that we could cast from the iPhone and the iPad for sure.

We route everything through our AVR. Do you know if it's possible to connect the Chromecast to the AVR and cast through the AVR/Chromecast to our non-smart TV? The Kuro TV is old enough that it doesn't have an HDMI ARC connection.
The set up here in Miami is:
Have an AVR that is connected to:
Chromecast video
Cgromecast audio
Roku
Blu-ray
Comcast
The display is an 7 or 8 year old 50" Panny Plasma

When I want to watch a game via YTTV - I use laptop to bring up YTTV and hit the "cast" icon to send it to Chromecast video. I have to click the AVR remote (or use Marantz app on phone) to select the Chromecast input on the AVR.
Sure would be easier if YTTV worked w. Roku.
The only Apple device we have is a medium old ipad wife sometimes uses. She often uses an Android tablet set up on a stand to watch YTTV while cooking. She hasn't put the YTTV app on her Apple.

In Oakland - simply send YTTV to 3 y.o. plasma to input on the Panny w. Chromecast plugged in. No AVR. Don't have to manually change inputs on the screen. Changes automatically.

I posted here - rather than PM - because others might want to see how users make use of the service.

mike
post #23 of 58 Old 11-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
The set up here in Miami is:
Have an AVR that is connected to:
Chromecast video
Cgromecast audio
Roku
Blu-ray
Comcast
The display is an 7 or 8 year old 50" Panny Plasma

When I want to watch a game via YTTV - I use laptop to bring up YTTV and hit the "cast" icon to send it to Chromecast video. I have to click the AVR remote (or use Marantz app on phone) to select the Chromecast input on the AVR.
Sure would be easier if YTTV worked w. Roku.
The only Apple device we have is a medium old ipad wife sometimes uses. She often uses an Android tablet set up on a stand to watch YTTV while cooking. She hasn't put the YTTV app on her Apple.

In Oakland - simply send YTTV to 3 y.o. plasma to input on the Panny w. Chromecast plugged in. No AVR. Don't have to manually change inputs on the screen. Changes automatically.

I posted here - rather than PM - because others might want to see how users make use of the service.

mike
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I'm using a wall mounted Pioneer Kuro plasma with everything going through the AVR. I'm not familiar with Chromecast video and Chromecast Audio. Is that one device or two, and is it part of Googles streaming service. Or is it the same as the Chromecast device that comes with a paid YTTV service? I'm going to sign up for the trial and go at least one month into the paid service. I'll start as soon as the Motorola modem arrives from Amazon. The plan is to get rid of the xfinity modem, test YTTV, and then possibly get rid of the xfinity TV service and their DVR.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #24 of 58 Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I'm using a wall mounted Pioneer Kuro plasma with everything going through the AVR. I'm not familiar with Chromecast video and Chromecast Audio. Is that one device or two, and is it part of Googles streaming service. Or is it the same as the Chromecast device that comes with a paid YTTV service? I'm going to sign up for the trial and go at least one month into the paid service. I'll start as soon as the Motorola modem arrives from Amazon. The plan is to get rid of the xfinity modem, test YTTV, and then possibly get rid of the xfinity TV service and their DVR.
CC Video and CC audio are two diff. devices. CC video is mostly used to cast any almost any screen you want from a Chrome browser or cast videos with the CC icon (like on regular youtube etc. CC audio is used to stream music from like Pandora, YouTube, Spotify etc.
Until last week, I don't think there was any other way to get the YTTV pic to the big screen from your PC, tablet etc. - other than using CC. Although they still don't support Roku, YTTV does now make use of a couple other devices (mentioned in an above post) I know nothing about.
The CC devices have been around since before YTTV came out this past April.
CC video came out w. a new version about a year ago. I had to make use of my old version 1 until my "free" version 2 came. The new version works w. YTTV almost instantly. Mostly chromecast (video) is used by people who have never heard about "streaming".
post #25 of 58 Old 11-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
CC video came out w. a new version about a year ago. I had to make use of my old version 1 until my "free" version 2 came. The new version works w. YTTV almost instantly. Mostly chromecast (video) is used by people who have never heard about "streaming".
OK. Let's see if I understand.

You've got the free Chromecast version 2 connected via HDMI to your AVR, and the AVR's HDMI connection feeds the selection to the TV via HDMI along with all your other sources. I assume that the when a selection is made in the YTTV app, the URL for that selection is sent via WiFi (provided by your router) to the Chromecast device which then uses that URL toobtain the desired stream and inputs that steam to the AVR like any other HDMI source.

If I'm on track, that also means that your audio (Florida setup) from all your sources connected to your AVR are fed to your stand alone speakers.

I hope this confusing understanding is close and not just what I want it to be.

Thanks again for the help.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:

Last edited by htwaits; 11-08-2017 at 12:59 AM.
post #26 of 58 Old 11-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
They made such a nice push for it during the MLB world series it is a bit of a joke that they didn't work with more television partners to have the App ready. Using the phone as a remote is less than ideal...

Just for giggles, I called LG to see when they will add it to their content store and the expected response was "youtube is already there". Google may have picked an unfortunate name for their new service.
post #27 of 58 Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK. Let's see if I understand.

You've got the free Chromecast version 2 connected via HDMI to your AVR, and the AVR's HDMI connection feeds the selection to the TV via HDMI along with all your other sources. I assume that the when a selection is made in the YTTV app, the URL for that selection is sent via WiFi (provided by your router) to the Chromecast device which then uses that URL toobtain the desired stream and inputs that steam to the AVR like any other HDMI source.

If I'm on track, that also means that your audio (Florida setup) from all your sources connected to your AVR are fed to your stand alone speakers.

I hope this confusing understanding is close and not just what I want it to be.

Thanks again for the help.
You have our HDMI connections stated correctly. We usually use the AVR remote to select "source" - Roku, audio streaming, Chromecast video etc. We choose the YTTV channel to send via app on PC- sometimes from phone or tablet.
For audio - there is a casting icon on Pandora and Spotify (and maybe others) that when you click on it a list of all possible casting end points (speakers) are listed. You can choose just one - or form groups so that all speakers in a group are getting audio signal. We have 1. AVR 2. speaker set up next to computer (have an a/b switch to choose between computer as source or the audio as the source 3. bedroom (CC audio plugged into small sound bar) 4. Google Home device in kitchen area. We formed a group w. all four in the group.
We also splurged at this point and got a Google wifi system. No breakups or weak signal problems. Sound comes thru steadily for hours. Had an extenstion booster for wifi before - but definiely didn't work to well for us when I set up audio system.
post #28 of 58 Old 11-10-2017, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I wonder if they will ever make YTTV a channel source for Live Channels in Android TV. It would be nice to have YTTV and OTA all in one interface. It would make sense since it's all Google, but then again, it will probably never happen because it makes too much sense.
post #29 of 58 Old 11-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Started my free week of YTV on the Shield last night.

Wow, the picture quality is very solid.

Watched some soccer, hockey, basketball and SNL and all looked at least as good as regular cable.

Not sure we watch enough TV to justify even the $35/mo though. We have a healthy backlog of Amazon/Netflix. This seems like a very good fit for a lot of cable cutters though.
post #30 of 58 Old 11-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot6 View Post
Started my free week of YTV on the Shield last night.

Wow, the picture quality is very solid.

Watched some soccer, hockey, basketball and SNL and all looked at least as good as regular cable.

Not sure we watch enough TV to justify even the $35/mo though. We have a healthy backlog of Amazon/Netflix. This seems like a very good fit for a lot of cable cutters though.
What are you watching on?

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page