Disney Departing Netflix in 2019 and Will Launch ESPN, Movie Streaming Services - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I am hopeful things will get better, but with the loss of 3D in most 2017 TV's, and them being released only overseas for the newer titles, it is going to be a long wait for me until Avatar 2 and 8K HDTV's usher in the Passive 4K 3D era or perhaps better yet, glasses free 4K 3D coming from an 8K set. That will be the only thing to get me to upgrade at this point from my current LG OLED set.
I'm assuming I will not buy, or see the need to buy, another TV until at least 2020. The industry needs to settle down and the prices of flagship models need to come down. At least by a third. Optimistically, technology always gets better and cheaper so I'm hopeful for a fundamentally improved home theater experience at a lower cost in the near future.

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post
Saw this coming miles away. Just had a conversation the other day and said any time now, if they can, Disney will pull out of the Netflix deal and make their own service. I don't know why they ever made the deal in the first place.
Easy answer: Your own service isn't ready yet and might as well make millions more in the interim.
wiyosaya likes this.
post #33 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
All the fragmentation is going to hurt the elderly the most. They just need to be able to turn on the tv and change channels. If you are under 40, chord cutting is easy and understandable. However I do agree with your assessment that it is getting to be just as expensive subscribing to each individual program tier you want from all these different streaming companies.

Disney knows it can have its own streaming channel and by excluding every other streaming service from showing its content can quickly force people to add or switch and many will. This is a purely strategic and well thought out move by Disney. I wouldn't be surprised if they become bigger than Netflix from one month to the next after release as you will have many simply leaving Netflix for cost reasons. How much did Netflix lose after raising their price a couple dollars? For me, I have Comcast, Hulu, Netflix and am considering cutting Comcast Cable (keeping just their internet and upgrading to unlimited which will ad more cost) as soon as my contract is up and getting Sling instead. Now being an AVS enthusiast, I have to consider 4K Ultra streaming in the mix etc.

Having now an OLED65G6P with WebOs is making things easier switching between services so at least I can be thankful for that. However it is still confusing to my wife how to use it and I'm sure I am not alone. She definitely prefers the old channel flipping method for finding programs. I just honestly don't think any of these companies care for the elderly demographic anymore so it is a non-issue for them which is very sad. I am hopeful things will get better, but with the loss of 3D in most 2017 TV's, and them being released only overseas for the newer titles, it is going to be a long wait for me until Avatar 2 and 8K HDTV's usher in the Passive 4K 3D era or perhaps better yet, glasses free 4K 3D coming from an 8K set. That will be the only thing to get me to upgrade at this point from my current LG OLED set.
I wouldn't be surprised if they become bigger than Netflix from one month to the next after release as you will have many simply leaving Netflix for cost reasons

This won't happen netflix is already so deep it's ridiculous, read that 1/3 of North America internet traffic is Netflix. People aren't going to go back to put down the cell phones and go back to rotarys because a company exclusively licenses super hero movies and star wars films. For the people who can't live without Disney kids films they will probably buy them on disc. Now, if Discs stopped tomorrow I could see families stealing a small percentage of market share...
Timobkg likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Reference Bleedingcool.com article
This is not the only site commenting that Marvel and Lucasfilm could remain exclusive to Netflix and hasn't decided what to do with those films yet.
According to this article:
Quote:
A Netflix rep said the news doesn’t affect the deal it has with Disney for the Marvel TV shows such as Luke Cage, Daredevil, and The Defenders. It will remain in place indefinitely.

The fact that all these streaming services are popping up like weeds is, as I see it, an artifact of the cord-cutting phenomena. It is a last-ditch effort by services like these to keep themselves permanently attached to the bank accounts of their subscribers. Personally, I think Disney only has themselves to blame for this since their contracts with subscription services have required those same services to carry ESPN at enormous expense or get nothing at all. What did Disney expect?

I will rent Blu-ray from Redbox before I subscribe. As far as sports goes, I would rather directly subscribe to the NHL Network as opposed to subscribing to the NHL Network through Disney. IMO, Netflix still provides the best deal for streaming.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #35 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
This announcement from Disney, could very well be a Negotiation tactic. We are leaving and going it alone, unless you wish to sweeten the pot to keep us!

Disney already has a streaming service right? How is that working for them now? This sounds like positioning to me. Contract renegotiations. Just a guess. Will they also be pulling their programming from Cable providers ? Lots of questions

Nothing lasts forever and the Streaming Market is reacting to the inflow of large Customer markets (Asia). People who "Cut the Cord" and then just plug in a different cord
In the UK.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/08/di...huge/?ncid=rss

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #36 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I guess there's not absolute clarity on that topic, because the actual press release does not discuss the fate of those properties, and I was using other news sources. I'm going to edit my article, see how this develops. I'm guessing some reporters have better contacts at Disney than I do (I have precisely none) so I'll leave it to them to clarify.
The main confusion with this bantered about news is that Disney is hugely complex, they are more like a group of companies that one studio.

For example:
Netflix has partnerships with Marvel studio, where they like Fox have a certain content production occurring.
They also have streaming rights for ABC Television. The strictly Disney broadcast and film rights might have only a limited effect with Netflix.

You also still have the strong relationship with Apple and the upcoming ATV5 rumors that discuss 4K, HDR10, HDR DV, along with multiple apps supporting many of Disney's content. Yes they have a multiple app search engine also.

That last paragraph related to the two sides of streaming content the news you added here concerning Disney's own movie streaming service and also what will Disney support with their streaming apps? I haven't reviewed how Disney is situated on all the various digital streaming receivers, that also needs to be followed.

Oppo Beta Group
post #37 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some additional news bytes to muddy the business conspiracy theories!

Marvel and Star Wars standalone streaming services are still being considered, says Disney - TechCrunch
Netflix May Have Lost Disney, but Its First-Ever Acquisition Might Just Help It Succeed - Inc

Quote:
Netflix just made a deal with the creative mind behind blockbuster movies including Captain America: Civil War and Logan.

On Monday, the streaming service announced its first-ever acquisition: Comic book publisher Millarworld.

You may not be familiar with Millarworld, but you've likely heard of founder Mark Millar's work. Before he created Millarworld, Millar wrote a number of comic books for Marvel including Old Man Logan and Civil War, which were brought to the silver screen as the blockbuster hits Logan and Captain America: Civil War. He also authored the comic book series Kick-Ass and Kingsman: The Secret Service, both of which have been turned into successful feature films.

Oppo Beta Group
post #38 of 52 Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
The funny thing here is Disney's current service 'Anywhere' isn't available hardly anywhere.

Netflix has gone global already and holds a stronger position right now. Disney won't be going global anytime soon due to encumbered rights deals already in play.

Amazon Prime Video has overseas distribution and so does HBO but that's about as far as it goes for global.

All this will do is provide more of an incentive to pirate content that is inaccessible to viewers.
post #39 of 52 Old 08-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Even with all their channels there is no way they are going to have enough content for people to justify spending whatever amount they are going to charge.

I imagine they struggle with their tier release system and it comes off as a greedy push. Like a contract negotiation went bad and they walked out and ran their mouths on Twitter that they are just going to start their own service, even though they have next to nothing worked out or infrastructure in place.

The streaming movement is good, but not if it's going to cost you $70 a month to have multiple streaming services just to satisfy what you can get now for $20-30. They are going to cut the pie so much that it will take someone consolidating it again to make it viable.

So what will end up happening is everybody goes a la carte and the consumer goes insane trying to manage all the different individual streams and starts clamoring for some grouping of the channels they want. That, shockingly, sounds a lot like cable again

They're going to separate everything out to where you'll still end up spending $75-$100 per month for "cable" and the annoyance of having to jump from app to app. Then in 5 years everyone will be jumping back to cable if they ever come down at all from their prices. It's too easy to see...

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm CC-190/Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ JBL Studio L8400P 12-Inch Sub
post #40 of 52 Old 08-10-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 5797
Instead, I wish they'd focus their attention and revenue on releasing their existing content in 4K UHD!
JohnAV likes this.
post #41 of 52 Old 08-10-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Not surprised at all. Now that the fallacy of "cord cutting" is the cool thing to do ....everyone and their brother wants in on it....so we are getting all these PPV streaming services.

AS for ala-carte .....my idea was always a service where I could pay something like 15 bucks to pick 10 channels, etc.....I know that will never happen.

PSVue cost me $40 so I can watch the five or six channels i care about, because they are being subsidized by crap I don't ever watch like ESPN and Disney.

Its been this way forever and will never change.

Before too long "cord cutting" will amount to replacing that $150 cable bill with several "smaller" bills adding up to $300 =P Not too mention paying that very same cable company for the internet access to access those services.
post #42 of 52 Old 08-10-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats View Post
Even with all their channels there is no way they are going to have enough content for people to justify spending whatever amount they are going to charge.
I imagine they struggle with their tier release system and it comes off as a greedy push. Like a contract negotiation went bad and they walked out and ran their mouths on Twitter that they are just going to start their own service, even though they have next to nothing worked out or infrastructure in place.
The streaming movement is good, but not if it's going to cost you $70 a month to have multiple streaming services just to satisfy what you can get now for $20-30. They are going to cut the pie so much that it will take someone consolidating it again to make it viable.
So what will end up happening is everybody goes a la carte and the consumer goes insane trying to manage all the different individual streams and starts clamoring for some grouping of the channels they want. That, shockingly, sounds a lot like cable again
They're going to separate everything out to where you'll still end up spending $75-$100 per month for "cable" and the annoyance of having to jump from app to app. Then in 5 years everyone will be jumping back to cable if they ever come down at all from their prices. It's too easy to see...
if you check this CNN article they concur
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/09/pf/d...ing/index.html
Quote:
Streaming services are appealing to young viewers because they're so cheap compared to traditional cable and satellite bundles.
"It's such a low cost, it's almost overlooked," said Nick Barber, an analyst with technology research and advisory firm Forrester.
But they add up quickly. $10 for Netflix, $10 for Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) Prime, $12 for Hulu, $7 for CBS, and however much Disney or ESPN's service will cost ... it could one day cost consumers more to get the content that they want than by buying cable.
Media analysts don't expect people to empty their wallets for more than a few subscription services, though.
barryecohen likes this.

Oppo Beta Group
post #43 of 52 Old 08-10-2017, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The Evil Empire strikes again.... Sad, I hate Disney.

We don't want a rag tag collection of $10 per month streaming services. DirecTV Now does look close to something I'd had in mind, but if ESPN will now be separate, its a no go. Next FOX Sports will copy and so on.

Pulling content from Netflix is a big mistake also. I will NEVER pay for a Disney owned stand alone. Wish they would sell ESPN.

LG 65B6 OLED 4K HDR| Pioneer ELITE VSX-52 | Samsung K8500 4K Blu Ray | Polk Audio RTi and CS2 5.1 | Video cables by Monoprice! Audio cables by Audioquest
PS4 Pro| Apple TV | Sonos | Amazon Echo
post #44 of 52 Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There's a way that this could work, but I don't expect they will take it. Disney obviously has a quite extensive media collection. The Netflix deal was primary to put new movies onto Netflix. Classics were to remain digital purchase or optical disc only. So Disney needs to make a subscription service that gives consumers access to the vast Disney Vault. General categories that would need to be included are classic animated features, classic live action, Disney nature (including modern HD Earth Day pics), new (computer) animated features +/- Pixar, MCU, Star Wars, modern live action movies, classic cartoon shorts (Mickey etc. with all the holiday specials etc.), TV library from all Disney properties (ABC, kids shows etc) with short/no delay from original broadcast, and ESPN with it can offer. I don't see how a subscription service can be viable long-term if is lacks any of these segments. This would be enough content that a user wouldn't be at risk of exhausting his subscription, have enough range of content to target most consumer groups, and provide a mechanism for continual content additions apart from 2-3 new movies each year that are worth watching.

Will they do this? I remain very skeptical that Disney will ever provide a means of watching anything from their animation vault for less than $20 a pop. Will certain movies be limited time engagements, then back to the vault? They have enough in their IP catalogue to essentially offer an entire streaming service worth of content, but I don't know if they are ready to give up retail sales. Heck, we're only here because they completely mismanaged ESPN. They've shown no signs that they've learned from that and are ready to do things how consumers want them too.
post #45 of 52 Old 08-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
All the fragmentation is going to hurt the elderly the most. They just need to be able to turn on the tv and change channels. If you are under 40, chord cutting is easy and understandable. However I do agree with your assessment that it is getting to be just as expensive subscribing to each individual program tier you want from all these different streaming companies.

Disney knows it can have its own streaming channel and by excluding every other streaming service from showing its content can quickly force people to add or switch and many will. This is a purely strategic and well thought out move by Disney. I wouldn't be surprised if they become bigger than Netflix from one month to the next after release as you will have many simply leaving Netflix for cost reasons. How much did Netflix lose after raising their price a couple dollars? For me, I have Comcast, Hulu, Netflix and am considering cutting Comcast Cable (keeping just their internet and upgrading to unlimited which will ad more cost) as soon as my contract is up and getting Sling instead. Now being an AVS enthusiast, I have to consider 4K Ultra streaming in the mix etc.

Having now an OLED65G6P with WebOs is making things easier switching between services so at least I can be thankful for that. However it is still confusing to my wife how to use it and I'm sure I am not alone. She definitely prefers the old channel flipping method for finding programs. I just honestly don't think any of these companies care for the elderly demographic anymore so it is a non-issue for them which is very sad. I am hopeful things will get better, but with the loss of 3D in most 2017 TV's, and them being released only overseas for the newer titles, it is going to be a long wait for me until Avatar 2 and 8K HDTV's usher in the Passive 4K 3D era or perhaps better yet, glasses free 4K 3D coming from an 8K set. That will be the only thing to get me to upgrade at this point from my current LG OLED set.
As the Average age of the US population continues to rise those that ignore the elderly will be financially damaged.
post #46 of 52 Old 08-11-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Netflix is a la carte, you watch only the content you want to watch and you're not forced to buy things you don't want.
If you want to watch Disney movies and shows you now have the option to pay for just those. You now have the option to pay just for ESPN. That's a la carte. With netflix, Im paying for shows I don't want to watch. Who do you think is paying for all those shows and movies on Netflix?
It sounds like you want to rent individual shows or episodes. Apple originally let you rent TV shows in addition to movies. They soon got rid of it. Make of that what you will, but the monetary model clearly wasn't working for them or they wouldn't have ditched the option. It wasn't exactly cheap compared to Netflix either nor is renting movies (whether with iTunes or Vudu or whatever). The great thing about Netflix is not choice (their movie selection gas always sucked) but the cheap price for so many commercial free TV shows compared to paying cable over $100 a month and getting hammered with commercials anyway you have to fast forward through to watch.

Splitting streaming up to every little content maker will destroy streaming. To hell with Disney. Don't use their service and they will return when it fails like Zune and others fail. Use it and we are stuck with it.

I agree with what someone said above that ala carte should mean pay a flat price and pick x amount of stations or TV shows per month, not subscribe to every company that makes shows and still have to pay for crap they make you don't want. PS Vue? They still pick the packaged channels. It's no different than cable in that regard. I want to pick what I will actually watch not pay for crap like QVC or some religious or soccer channel I'll never watch.

Last edited by MagnumX; 08-11-2017 at 12:52 PM.
post #47 of 52 Old 08-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I have no idea how a separate Disney streaming service will "play out", nor do I care. I have reached the point where I just scoff when yet another video subscription plan is introduced on the market. It is as if these companies now believe that every person will gladly sign over all their discretionary income to be mesmerized by their media playing on our screens. No thanks. I haven't yet cut the cord, but my only aim is to find ways for spending less on the select media I want, not more.

Routinely stumbling down rabbit holes...
post #48 of 52 Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by telon175 View Post
PS VUE has all that I need that Comcast Dish or DirecTV offers for a much lower cost. Base content is like 25 dollars.
Uhh... $25? How. The cheapest package on the PS Vue site is $40 per month. Are you grandfathered?

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
Samsung UN75HU8550 + SEK-3500U OCB, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Blu-Ray
Martin Logan LX16 (x5), Klipsch RP-140SA (x4)
Elemental Designs A5-350 15-inch downfiring sub (x2)
Denon AVR-x4200w + Carver M-1.0t driving a 5.2.4 configuration
post #49 of 52 Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post
Uhh... $25? How. The cheapest package on the PS Vue site is $40 per month. Are you grandfathered?
The Price for PS VUE depends on your zip code that is kinda like comcast use to do not sure if they still do. I lived in the same town as my mother Law and she had more to whatch than i did and was still 10 dollars cheaper than me. I called and they said the price depened on your zip code. I lived 10 min's from her.

The 24 or 25 dollars I was spending on PS Vue was the lowest cost one they had you could get more but it would cost more the lowest cost on had all me and my Wife needed.

I have not checked what it cost now about I have had video from comcast for about 6 months. 1 year and 6 months from now I will probley be looking for somthing else because i am sure the cost will be to much.
I just checked and it is 40 dollars for for the cheapest one. that is still much cheaper than Comcast direct tv and Dish even there most expense one is 80 dollars and that includes HBO and Show Time
post #50 of 52 Old 08-16-2017, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
For homes with kids I can see how a Disney stream would be beneficial. Especially if you can get the Disney/Disney Jr. channel programming through the stream as well.

Im not convinced Netflix is the golden standard of streaming anymore. All they have is their 30 or so odd "Originals" most of which are crap. Then they have the same ol'e tired old movies they have had for a long time. They have lost so many of the major name brand studios I barely use it anymore since I cant find anything I want to watch on it.
post #51 of 52 Old 08-16-2017, 10:18 AM
DAB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 88
One item that hasn't been brought up is that NF is building a world wide platform .. If Dis.. want to have international presents.. it better get going. It will take years to get that up and running. USA members can/might be able to afford multi- streaming services- the rest of the world not so much- just different cultures...
post #52 of 52 Old 08-17-2017, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix has created a fully scalable model using AWS , their app is on nearly every streaming devices , they produce top content.. yes the competition will be agressive but they have built an incredible competitive advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , Netflix , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page