Disney Departing Netflix in 2019 and Will Launch ESPN, Movie Streaming Services - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 446 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16189
Disney Departing Netflix in 2019 and Will Launch ESPN, Movie Streaming Services

Today, Disney has announced that it plans to launch its own movie streaming service sometime in the year 2019. And when this happens, the studio's popular movies will no longer be available to stream on Netflix. Click here to read more.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-08-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 423
That'll be interesting. If more companies follow suite I am not sure if I'm going to be someone that'll subscribe to 10 different streaming services for content.

As for ESPN, it's gotten too political and I don't need politics in my sports viewing.
post #3 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
The money-grab fragmentation of streaming into separate services with their own fees is going to kill the expansion of streaming in the long run. The golden goose is being strangled.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Reference Bleedingcool.com article
Quote:
The most interesting part of this announcement is how does it affect the Marvel properties. As you can see from the above screen shots, the initial CNBC report referred to Marvel as part of the movies being pulled, but the report was changed shortly after. Does Disney plan to include the Marvel Studios films on their streaming service? And what does that mean for the deal Marvel and Netflix have for Daredevil, Jessica Jones and the rest? The Netflix / Marvel shows are some of the most popular that the streaming service have to offer. Will Disney leave them where they are or play out the contract then move future series over to their own streaming service. Was the a correction on CNBC’s part or a request from Disney? Could the Marvel mention have been removed to give Netflix some time to prepare for the news and protect their stock value? I mean, Disney wouldn’t want to upset things while there is still a contract between Marvel and Netflix… right?
This is not the only site commenting that Marvel and Lucasfilm could remain exclusive to Netflix and hasn't decided what to do with those films yet.

Oppo Beta Group
post #5 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5543 Post(s)
Liked: 3946
People wanted a la carte, and now they are getting it. And they don't like it.
post #6 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Netflix is a la carte, you watch only the content you want to watch and you're not forced to buy things you don't want.
barryecohen and Timobkg like this.
post #7 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
The money-grab fragmentation of streaming into separate services with their own fees is going to kill the expansion of streaming in the long run. The golden goose is being strangled.
Netflix and Amazon have setup massive infrastructure for streaming and it will be interesting to see how Disney copes with that.
post #8 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Reference Bleedingcool.com article
This is not the only site commenting that Marvel and Lucasfilm could remain exclusive to Netflix and hasn't decided what to do with those films yet.
I guess there's not absolute clarity on that topic, because the actual press release does not discuss the fate of those properties, and I was using other news sources. I'm going to edit my article, see how this develops. I'm guessing some reporters have better contacts at Disney than I do (I have precisely none) so I'll leave it to them to clarify.
Sting82465 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Netflix is a la carte, you watch only the content you want to watch and you're not forced to buy things you don't want.
If you want to watch Disney movies and shows you now have the option to pay for just those. You now have the option to pay just for ESPN. That's a la carte. With netflix, Im paying for shows I don't want to watch. Who do you think is paying for all those shows and movies on Netflix?
post #10 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
You do make a strong marketing point with people really don't want to buy into multiple streaming providers just to entertain their families and there is no equivalent of a multi provider search engine for same content.

Oppo Beta Group
post #11 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Did anyone else note the lack of NFL in the sports package?
post #12 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
It's the same with the DirecTV streaming package. You can't get the NFL Sunday ticket unless you actually pay for their satellite service.
post #13 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
It was like it was printed in bold, such was the absence I felt.
qwho51 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #14 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you want to watch Disney movies and shows you now have the option to pay for just those. You now have the option to pay just for ESPN. That's a la carte. With netflix, Im paying for shows I don't want to watch. Who do you think is paying for all those shows and movies on Netflix?
Well if they do it per episode, season or movie I agree. For me, Netflix is still a la carte as far as viewing. They have tiers, but it's completely different than the model cable companies use. Plus there's no contract.
SuperFist, Timobkg and tjcinnamon like this.
post #15 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Saw this coming miles away. Just had a conversation the other day and said any time now, if they can, Disney will pull out of the Netflix deal and make their own service. I don't know why they ever made the deal in the first place.

Quote:
You do make a strong marketing point with people really don't want to buy into multiple streaming providers just to entertain their families and there is no equivalent of a multi provider search engine for same content.
I've thought for years, what we need is some kind of standard platform. We need to be able to have one account but subscribe to multiple content providers and make the monthly payment as a single bill. The big problem, from the provider side, is that content providers want to maintain control of their content and this would be the way how, you would still stream Provider A's content from Provider A's servers, but you have one account through some kind of third party billing system where you are subscribed to multiple Providers, each with its own content and features and server quality. But the billing service has some kind of front end where its hooked into all the Providers and presents it to you in a unified UI with universal search for all you are subscribed to.
post #16 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Terrible move IMO . Takes forever for companies to roll out apps etc. Doesn't sony own disney? I highly doubt TV manufactures will put a sony app on their Tv's. Netflix and Disney could have worked a deal, maybe even do a add on to the netflix subscription . Anything over 5.99 I won't even consider
post #17 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Netflix and Amazon have setup massive infrastructure for streaming and it will be interesting to see how Disney copes with that.
It's my understanding, https://arstechnica.com/information-...-amazon-cloud/, that Netflix uses Amazon Services for at least part (if not all by now) of it's streaming. Disney could too.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #18 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well if they do it per episode, season or movie I agree. For me, Netflix is still a la carte as far as viewing. They have tiers, but it's completely different than the model cable companies use. Plus there's no contract.
Netflix isn't any different than PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling tv, etc. You can cancel anytime. They are all a la carte by your definition.
post #19 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 63
So your going to take your lame bloated super hero movies and watered down Star wars Franchise and go away....SEE YA!!!!!
tjcinnamon and Prizm4 like this.

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
post #20 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Netflix isn't any different than PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling tv, etc. You can cancel anytime. They are all a la carte by your definition.
I'm not referring to any of those services, I'm referring to traditional cable and satellite model of bundles and packages. Please stop moving the goal posts to make your point, I get what you're saying, but what I commented on is from my point of view of traditional services versus what Netflix offers. From my understanding people wanted a la carte from Comcast, Dish and Direct TV that would not require bundles in order to get the channels they wanted to watch and not channels they didn't want to watch. Perhaps I'm wrong but that's the point of view I'm coming from and you've turned it into something completely different.
Timobkg likes this.
post #21 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Yeah, this is more fragmentation than a la carte, but I could see an argument calling it that. There are other potential problems for a la carte when it comes to traditional cable/sat services - it would kill a lot of niche and genre entertainment. Could channels like SyFy, AMC, BBC America, etc, survive or keep producing the kind of content they do only on direct opt-in subscriptions?
SuperFist and Timobkg like this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #22 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Yeah, this is more fragmentation than a la carte, but I could see an argument calling it that. There are other potential problems for a la carte when it comes to traditional cable/sat services - it would kill a lot of niche and genre entertainment. Could channels like SyFy, AMC, BBC America, etc, survive or keep producing the kind of content they do only on direct opt-in subscriptions?
That is a valid point. I don't know if they could survive on their own, but if they are not profitable, should they? I don't even know who owns those networks anymore. Most are just part of some major broadcasting conglomerate. Could they not roll the profitable shows on each one of those channels into one of their big networks?
post #23 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
No NBA either. So basically it's a "premium" sports streaming service, with two of the three major US sports not included. Strange.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #24 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Sure, why not? It works for current streaming services with their original content, which is quite good BTW.

Besides, it's channels like the ones you listed that draw people to cable anyway. That's why they keep upping the "tier" you need to buy to get them included. Recently I lost spike tv and the science channel, both of which I enjoy, to one of these reshufflings. The only reason they do stuff like that is because those channels are popular so they know they can squeeze you a bit to get them back.

Basic cable anymore means the Jewish Korean network and Mr. Ed reruns.

FWIW, I don't know if BBC America will ever recover from the Top Gear debacle. They screwed the pooch on that one, big time.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #25 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
. . . and there is no equivalent of a multi provider search engine for same content.
Something like this?
https://www.justwatch.com/us/provide...-instant-video

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #26 of 52 Old 08-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Cool This is the main reason I am *not* cutting the cord

I already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, as well as Spectrum cable TV. Every time I investigate cutting my ties with cable, the cost of all the stuff I want to watch already easily equals the cost of cable. Having to pay extra for Disney will just add to the pile. How much is enough before consumers go back to putting antennas on their TV sets??
swarm87 and Ftoast like this.

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #27 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Yeah, I hate the fragmentation. To my knowledge, Apple provides such a search on their Apple TVs. Therefore, you search for a show and it displays which provider offers it. You can also launch it straight from there. Provided the app supports that, of course.

Quote:
Although it’s kinda of topic I wouldn’t call Netflix ala carte, either. You pay to have access to all of their content or none. You can’t just add series/movies or channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denslayer View Post
Terrible move IMO . Takes forever for companies to roll out apps etc. Doesn't sony own disney? I highly doubt TV manufactures will put a sony app on their Tv's. Netflix and Disney could have worked a deal, maybe even do a add on to the netflix subscription . Anything over 5.99 I won't even consider
Sony doesn't own Disney. Disney is a public company, which is not owned by another company (at least no majority ownership).
In general, the subscription services such as Netflix provide the apps for the TV manufacturers. Therefore, Disney would have high incentives to publish those apps.
Maybe they tried to work out a deal. Often it’s very hard to come to an arrangement. We don’t know if they tried or not.
post #28 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Amazon prime is just something i would probably have with or without the video streaming. PS VUE has all that I need that Comcast Dish or DirecTV offers for a much lower cost. Base content is like 25 dollars. I was paying 130 for the same content with dish. This shows me that there was a huge profit made from companies like Comcast Dish and Directv. If they want to quit losing their subscribers. offer what PS vue and other streaming services have at a cost that is close to what they have.
I used a Tivo and PS vue for few years until i upgraded my Internet service and got there video service for a low cost for two years at the end of the two years i will probably go back to TIVO and PS VUE unless there is a better service at that time like maybe Youtube.
Timobkg likes this.
post #29 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
I already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, as well as Spectrum cable TV. Every time I investigate cutting my ties with cable, the cost of all the stuff I want to watch already easily equals the cost of cable. Having to pay extra for Disney will just add to the pile. How much is enough before consumers go back to putting antennas on their TV sets??

All the fragmentation is going to hurt the elderly the most. They just need to be able to turn on the tv and change channels. If you are under 40, chord cutting is easy and understandable. However I do agree with your assessment that it is getting to be just as expensive subscribing to each individual program tier you want from all these different streaming companies.

Disney knows it can have its own streaming channel and by excluding every other streaming service from showing its content can quickly force people to add or switch and many will. This is a purely strategic and well thought out move by Disney. I wouldn't be surprised if they become bigger than Netflix from one month to the next after release as you will have many simply leaving Netflix for cost reasons. How much did Netflix lose after raising their price a couple dollars? For me, I have Comcast, Hulu, Netflix and am considering cutting Comcast Cable (keeping just their internet and upgrading to unlimited which will ad more cost) as soon as my contract is up and getting Sling instead. Now being an AVS enthusiast, I have to consider 4K Ultra streaming in the mix etc.

Having now an OLED65G6P with WebOs is making things easier switching between services so at least I can be thankful for that. However it is still confusing to my wife how to use it and I'm sure I am not alone. She definitely prefers the old channel flipping method for finding programs. I just honestly don't think any of these companies care for the elderly demographic anymore so it is a non-issue for them which is very sad. I am hopeful things will get better, but with the loss of 3D in most 2017 TV's, and them being released only overseas for the newer titles, it is going to be a long wait for me until Avatar 2 and 8K HDTV's usher in the Passive 4K 3D era or perhaps better yet, glasses free 4K 3D coming from an 8K set. That will be the only thing to get me to upgrade at this point from my current LG OLED set.
newbe2 and Larry Rosenberg like this.
post #30 of 52 Old 08-09-2017, 08:07 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 2135
This announcement from Disney, could very well be a Negotiation tactic. We are leaving and going it alone, unless you wish to sweeten the pot to keep us!

Disney already has a streaming service right? How is that working for them now? This sounds like positioning to me. Contract renegotiations. Just a guess. Will they also be pulling their programming from Cable providers ? Lots of questions

Nothing lasts forever and the Streaming Market is reacting to the inflow of large Customer markets (Asia). People who "Cut the Cord" and then just plug in a different cord
wiyosaya likes this.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , Netflix , streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page