PH A-500, Will not Decode AC3 So what are some options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Whitfield

post #1 of 12 Old 08-13-2017, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PH A-500, Will not Decode AC3 So what are some options

Hi Guys, I have been trying to figure out my best course of action...

If I were to purchase a Ph A-500 or a Dune Solo Lite they will not decode AC3 DD 5.1) it will only allow "Passthrough" mode- and unless your TV can decode AC3 (DD 5.1) directly you will get no sound on your AC3 (DD 5.1) titles. My Tv does not Do this...

So my questions are

1. is there a device I can Purchase that will decode the Audio without having to by an AMP? Plug in Hdmi into it then to my TV?
2. Would I be able to Purchase a low cost Amp and have it decode then send it Via Hdmi to my TV? I really dont want the speakers etc... If so suggestions?

3. If I were to purchase a new TV, Not something I want to do (Love My Pioneer Kudro) is there any out there that will decode on the TV Side?

I am Very Picky about PQ and not found anything I like nearly as well as the Sigma Chipset players.

Any Ideas Appreciated. Thanks!! I an Odroid as my backup player and it works great just not the same PQ.. Ps have tried a dozen other players and I always come back to the Sigma chip based players..

"Very Important note:
If you connect the A-500 directly to your TV or feed your HDMI sources into your TV The American firmware on the A-500 will not decode AC3 (DD 5.1) it will only allow "Passthrough" mode- and unless your TV can decode AC3 (DD 5.1) directly you will get no sound on your AC3 (DD 5.1) titles. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-13-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 331
You are a little wrong. AC3 will decode on both devices to stereo. What wont decode down to stereo is Truehd tracks.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 81
This used to be true for the US version of the PCH. A few months ago, the AC3 patent expired and the feature to decode it was added. You should be good so the documentation you read must be outdated.

I have the VTEN and agree that nothing beats a Sigma SOC device for playback and PQ.

Vizio P55-C1 | Denon AVR-X1200W
[5] DefTech ProMonitor 1000s | ProCenter 2000 | SR-8040BPs [.1] SVS PB1000 [.2] Micca R-8C
Nvidia Shield | Zidoo X9S | Popcorn Hour VTEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by movd View Post
This used to be true for the US version of the PCH. A few months ago, the AC3 patent expired and the feature to decode it was added. You should be good so the documentation you read must be outdated.

I have the VTEN and agree that nothing beats a Sigma SOC device for playback and PQ.
Thank you for the Reply Guys! So If I understand correctly, Are All The PH A-500 using the same Code? Is there still a difference in the US version vs Non US.

Probably a stupid question but where would I run into True HD tracks..
post #5 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
where would I run into True HD tracks
On BluRay titles. Those typically have a TrueHD, DTS-HD or Dolby Atmos audio track in addition to the DD5.1 or DTS track.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by smockb View Post
Thank you for the Reply Guys! So If I understand correctly, Are All The PH A-500 using the same Code? Is there still a difference in the US version vs Non US.
No, there is no difference anymore.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by smockb View Post

Probably a stupid question but where would I run into True HD tracks..
If you download movies from the internet. You will encounter mkv files with just a truehd track. If you make your own MKV files some programs do not include the AC3 track with the truehd track.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

How are the true HD Files identified?

Thank you the picture is getting clearer now So if I happened across an Mkv file and opened it up with MkvToolNix, How are the true HD Files identified? What would the Ac3 tracks look like vs the True Hd tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
If you download movies from the internet. You will encounter mkv files with just a truehd track. If you make your own MKV files some programs do not include the AC3 track with the truehd track.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
You can see the difference in the codecs list on the main input tab.

Dolby TrueHD will be stated as TrueHD.
Dolby AC-3 will be stated as AC-3/E-AC-3.

FYI there's a difference between a TrueHD track as you'll find them on BD movie-discs, and one in a mkv container.

On a bluray moviedisc the TrueHD track also carries an independent AC3 track for legacy equipment. Eventhough this AC3 track is often referred to as the AC3 core, this is not the case. Both tracks are independent. Since BD movies are authored differently than mkv, both streams can exist within one "audio-track", so to say.

To be more complete, and for getting a better understanding of the word "core", DTS-HD MA is different in it's build-up. Such a stream really carries a dts core (such you'll find on a movie dvd) for - again - legacy reasons. Next to that core there is additional, dependent audio-data. Now these two combined will give the DTS-MA audio.

Within a mkv container it is not possible to mux both the TrueHD stream and the AC-3 stream as one track. You can, of course, mux the legacy AC3 audio as an extra audio-track with mkvtoolnix.

DTS-MA can be muxed as one track within mkv.

Should you encounter a file with only a TrueHD stream (which you cannot playback), you can convert this audio yourself with eac3to. It's a bit of a learning curve, but it's capable of decompressing the TrueHD track to the given number of channels in uncompressed PCM --> if need be downmix it to 5.1 with the proper settings --> and compress it to a legacy 5.1 AC-3 stream which you can directly import in mkvtoolnix.

A lot of people will have no sound during TrueHD/mkv playback and wonder why there is sound when playing the BD (or ISO) with "the same audio"? When playing the BD itself, often players auto-pick the embedded AC-3 track, which can be processed by the tv/amp/etc.

Hope this helps.
halfelite and Briguy65 like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out and explain everything. I have my new A-500 on the way.

The Odroid C2 will be for the wife and kids and occasional watching and the A-500 will be for Movie night..
post #11 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
You can see the difference in the codecs list on the main input tab.

Dolby TrueHD will be stated as TrueHD.
Dolby AC-3 will be stated as AC-3/E-AC-3.

FYI there's a difference between a TrueHD track as you'll find them on BD movie-discs, and one in a mkv container.

On a bluray moviedisc the TrueHD track also carries an independent AC3 track for legacy equipment. Eventhough this AC3 track is often referred to as the AC3 core, this is not the case. Both tracks are independent. Since BD movies are authored differently than mkv, both streams can exist within one "audio-track", so to say.

To be more complete, and for getting a better understanding of the word "core", DTS-HD MA is different in it's build-up. Such a stream really carries a dts core (such you'll find on a movie dvd) for - again - legacy reasons. Next to that core there is additional, dependent audio-data. Now these two combined will give the DTS-MA audio.

Within a mkv container it is not possible to mux both the TrueHD stream and the AC-3 stream as one track. You can, of course, mux the legacy AC3 audio as an extra audio-track with mkvtoolnix.

DTS-MA can be muxed as one track within mkv.

Should you encounter a file with only a TrueHD stream (which you cannot playback), you can convert this audio yourself with eac3to. It's a bit of a learning curve, but it's capable of decompressing the TrueHD track to the given number of channels in uncompressed PCM --> if need be downmix it to 5.1 with the proper settings --> and compress it to a legacy 5.1 AC-3 stream which you can directly import in mkvtoolnix.

A lot of people will have no sound during TrueHD/mkv playback and wonder why there is sound when playing the BD (or ISO) with "the same audio"? When playing the BD itself, often players auto-pick the embedded AC-3 track, which can be processed by the tv/amp/etc.

Hope this helps.
Interesting information regarding how to play different files. Of course most of us do not really care about decoding AC-3 because we use an AVR in the chain, and allow it to do all of that heavy lifting if necessary, and of course by the same token, with DTS-MA and TrueHD.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
...most of us do not really care about decoding AC-3 because we use an AVR in the chain...
Ever so true of course, but there's still a lot of people having an AVR that can't handle the newest HD audioformats. When you feed the TrueHD-only track you're left with no sound.
Even with the newest AVRs, also people sometimes want to be able to compare TrueHD vs AC-3 on their AVR. Also sometimes someone wants to leave the AVR off (because for that moment it can be "to much" or whatever) and just wants to listen to the sound of their tv-speakers. For that matter - and in general anyways - it's good to know that you can make a legacy AC-3 track from a TrueHD track. Also FLAC, dts or DTS-HD can be recoded to AC-3. There are tv's (and other devices) that simply don't output sound when fed these formats, but can handle AC-3 perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page