Unhappy with streaming audio quality with Amazon app, better HBO source? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jacksomkesoplenty
  • 1 Post By apexgrin

post #1 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Unhappy with streaming audio quality with Amazon app, better HBO source?

I've been using the Amazon app on my LG to watch GoT on HBO and the audio quality is getting pretty frustrating. The video isn't that great either but I think the audio is a compressed Dolby D stream.

Are there any ways to watch streaming HBO content with better audio?

---
LG OLED65C6P
Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Denon X4300H + Outlaw 2200 (Center)
Klipsch RP-250F, RP-450C - Dual PB-1000 Subs - Onkyo Satellites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgrin View Post
I've been using the Amazon app on my LG to watch GoT on HBO and the audio quality is getting pretty frustrating. The video isn't that great either but I think the audio is a compressed Dolby D stream.

Are there any ways to watch streaming HBO content with better audio?

HBO GO app, I use it and cast it, 1080p DD+ audio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
apexgrin likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Now I have to do the HBO subscription juggling again. I appreciate their efforts to get streaming directly to people but Amazon is a bit funky with their separate subscriptions.

---
LG OLED65C6P
Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-17-2017, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Just a followup on this: Casting to my Chromecast Ultra is far superior than using the built in app. Even the previews/previously on audio was only 2ch in the app, while casting it everything is in better quality surround sound and it seems like the video stream is better too.
Brian Hampton likes this.

---
LG OLED65C6P
Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
post #5 of 15 Old 08-23-2017, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Thanks! Now I have to do the HBO subscription juggling again. I appreciate their efforts to get streaming directly to people but Amazon is a bit funky with their separate subscriptions.
We've been using HBOGo for over a year at our 2nd home. It seems better than the pic we get at main home w. HBO via Comcast cable. It does have a good Marantz sound system - so hard to compare audio.. The 2nd home does have super fast inernet, (from Google) but a plain sound bar. The main home. I have decided to try HBO Go to see if it improves over Comcast cable. Unfortunately, Comcast is the only internet service available.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-24-2017, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
We've been using HBOGo for over a year at our 2nd home. It seems better than the pic we get at main home w. HBO via Comcast cable. It does have a good Marantz sound system - so hard to compare audio.. The 2nd home does have super fast inernet, (from Google) but a plain sound bar. The main home. I have decided to try HBO Go to see if it improves over Comcast cable. Unfortunately, Comcast is the only internet service available.
The provider doesn't matter (unless you're speaking morally) as long as your speed is good when it comes to internet so you should be fine.

---
LG OLED65C6P
Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
post #7 of 15 Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
The Amazon sub is the best image quality you will get, better than providers, HBO Now or Go.

Audio is great on my Sony X800.

XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-500SA / FV15HP(2)
post #8 of 15 Old 08-27-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
The provider doesn't matter (unless you're speaking morally) as long as your speed is good when it comes to internet so you should be fine.
As for me audio has been OK but recently video that used to stream reliably in 4K / HDR from Amazon Prime via Spectrum (formerly Time Warner) now throttles down every few minutes to 1080p even DVD resolution, then throttles back up to UHD 4K. Repeat every few minutes during the program. I had enjoyed two seasons of Man in the High Castle with UHD / HDR playing reliably for 2 years, but beginning this month, the image is down-throttling every few minutes to a blurry state, then resumes UHD. Seems only to do this dramatically with streamed HDR programs.

At about the time this problem started early this month, Spectrum had just taken over what had been Time Warner (Honolulu) as the internet cable supplier AND I swapped out the modem early this month. Not sure which change (if either) is the culprit.

I am supposed to get 200 mbs download speed (but tests on my LAPTOP at are crazy inconsistent at speedof.me and fast.com (results range from 40 mbs to 210 mbs). At speedof.me the chart of the tests, plotted in fractions of a second, consistently show an unsteady speed with about 5 brief sharp drops to as low as 1000 Kps (yes kilo per, not mega). I'm wondering if these sharp but brief drops are the cause of periodic downthrottling of the resolution. I haven't notice if Netflix is also downressing briefly, maybe they buffer without my notice, but with Amazon on HDR content it is miserably obviously, with a blurry image for about a minute until it throttles back up to UHD.

Could it be the newly swapped modem? It is an Arris TM1602A "Telephony Modem" (I don't recall the model I traded in) received at the local Spectrum office. If I buy my own modem, what models and specs do I need for 4k UHD / HDR streaming? I don't mind price, I have a router but it is old WNDR3700v2 that handles 300mbs, and it did the job reliably and is proven not the cause of the speed test variability (I tested bypassing the router plugging directly into the modem with same results of throttled Amazon Prime streaming and speedof.me sharp drops in speed).

Could it be the LG's Amazon App? I have the LG's 2015 OLED 65EF9500. Using the LG web browser on the TV, I only get 24-29 mbs download at fast.com, and Netflix settings "test your network connection" results max at about 7 mbs which is a puzzle since the LG's browser app tests at 24-28 mbs on fast.com at the same time. But I don't notice down-ressing on Netflix so far (but their 4k has never been quite as sharp - close, but not quite - as Amazon's).

Weird that all these speed tests vary so radically. Here's the summary:

Using laptop direct connect to router: range of 45 mbs - 210 mbs downloads at fast.com. Range of 140 mbs - 210 mbs at speedof.me with 5 sharp drops in speed in every test to around 1000 kps (yes, kilo).
Using LG's web browser, ranging from 24-28 mps on fast.com
Using LG's Netflix app settings: check your network connection: 6.6 - 7.2 mbs (oddly low).
Viewing Netflix UHD programming, appears subjectively to be UHD, haven't noticed sharp drops in reso but might be dropping without my notice to 1080p.
Viewing Amazon UHD / HDR content, the pause/progress bar verifies UHD resolution, until it drops down to 1080 then HD then not even HD, then back up to UHD every few minutes.

Frustrating that Amazon Prime UHD is throttling down when I pay for (and get from moment to moment...) 200mbs download speed. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Jess Sayin; 08-27-2017 at 02:27 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
The Amazon sub is the best image quality you will get, better than providers, HBO Now or Go.
Gadgt, do you know whether that is still true today? I'm circling around on a total change on how we access television at our house, and the devil (as always) is in the details. You'd think HBO would be motivated to deliver the best possible service to direct subscribers, rather than indirect ones (eg, through the Amazon channel) since the direct ones are HBO's most profitable subscribers. They have to share revenue on the indirect ones.

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Gadgt, do you know whether that is still true today? I'm circling around on a total change on how we access television at our house, and the devil (as always) is in the details. You'd think HBO would be motivated to deliver the best possible service to direct subscribers, rather than indirect ones (eg, through the Amazon channel) since the direct ones are HBO's most profitable subscribers. They have to share revenue on the indirect ones.
I have done quite a bit of testing with the different sources and I find that using Amazon (via my X800) yields by far the best image and sound quality.

Epson 6040ub
Denon AVR-X3400H + Mirage OMD-5 surrounds
Home-made Hybrid PCB Electrostatic Floorstanding L+R Speakers (with built-in DSP + amps)
Home-made sub with 15" Ultimax woofer, Dayton SA1000 Amp
Sony PS4, Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #11 of 15 Old 04-21-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt7272 View Post
I have done quite a bit of testing with the different sources and I find that using Amazon (via my X800) yields by far the best image and sound quality.
I'm using an Oppo 205, which unfortunately doesn't support apps. I'm using Apple TV 4K for that. Is using Amazon Prime with Apple TV 4K a good experience? Or should I connect my PC to my receiver directly?
post #12 of 15 Old 04-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Honestly I can't say anything about performance of the ATV. I don't own one.

Epson 6040ub
Home-made Hybrid PCB Electrostatic Floorstanding L+R Speakers (with built-in DSP + amps)
post #13 of 15 Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1271 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
I'm using an Oppo 205, which unfortunately doesn't support apps. I'm using Apple TV 4K for that. Is using Amazon Prime with Apple TV 4K a good experience? Or should I connect my PC to my receiver directly?
It is.

I think Amazon app may work even better on Roku tho.

I would use the ATV4K if something looks wrong try the laptop connection.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I've had a similarly frustrating experience with HBO Now for the last two episodes of GoT... locks into 1080p after a few seconds of the initial stream, but drops to 480p or even pauses/buffers every 4-5 min. I'm getting 300-400mbps at PC wired to the router, and 80-150mbps at all client devices through Luma Mesh. I've been streaming during peak times for GoT (starting within 30-60 minutes of release), so it's possible there's some back-end strain on HBO's end? I'm going to re-watch S8E2 today and see if it's any better, but I may also sign up for an Amazon HBO trial so I can do some testing/comparisons, along with some device comparisons with Shield (Now, Amazon, and Cast), X800, Roku Ultra (Amazon and Now), XBox One (Amazon and Now), and maybe Fire TV 4K (Amazon and Now) if I can dig it out of the junk drawer.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #15 of 15 Old 04-24-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
I've had a similarly frustrating experience with HBO Now for the last two episodes of GoT... locks into 1080p after a few seconds of the initial stream, but drops to 480p or even pauses/buffers every 4-5 min. I'm getting 300-400mbps at PC wired to the router, and 80-150mbps at all client devices through Luma Mesh. I've been streaming during peak times for GoT (starting within 30-60 minutes of release), so it's possible there's some back-end strain on HBO's end? I'm going to re-watch S8E2 today and see if it's any better, but I may also sign up for an Amazon HBO trial so I can do some testing/comparisons, along with some device comparisons with Shield (Now, Amazon, and Cast), X800, Roku Ultra (Amazon and Now), XBox One (Amazon and Now), and maybe Fire TV 4K (Amazon and Now) if I can dig it out of the junk drawer.
I have yet to notice much drop in bitrate/quality while watching episodes 1 and 2 (at release time, of course) via Amazon Prime. Definitely during episode 1 I saw a drop for a few minutes but that is all. Having gigabit fiber and everything hardwired with CAT6 helps to rule out the myriad of local network problems that muddy the waters for some...

There were of course other times through these episodes that I thought there was a drop in stream quality. After re-watches, though, it clearly is just the source material.

So, be aware that watching this on a very big display will yield some scenes that appear to be soft even if the stream is holding fine.

Epson 6040ub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page