Bluesound Node 2 Network Audio Player Hands-On - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Overall, how would the Node 2 compare to the Sonos connect in terms of sound - everything else being equal? (Using Tidal)

It depends on how you evaluate the Node 2: In isolation or as part of a multiroom system.

I currently have both Sonos (Connect, Play 5 and One) and Bluesound (Node 2 and Flex). I use Bluesound with Roon primarily for both lossless and some high res files. I have the Node 2 feeding the power stage of my amp (variable volume on rca). The Sonos connect feeds digital coax into a Rega Dac and then the line in of the amplifier. Comparing Node 2 as pre vs Sonos Connect + Rega Dac, the sound quality is quite comparable to my ears. Obviously I can only compare using 16bit lossless.

The Node 2 (as preamp) has a slightly darker sound flavour (to my ears).

The Sonos Connect as a preamp (variable out via RCA) falls a bit behind the Node 2 but not a night and day difference. I can live with both as pre amplifiers.

The Sonos wins over Bluesound when used as multiroom system. Bluesound units (Flex and Node 2 in my case) are a lot more sensitive to WiFi. Sonos is bulletproof comparatively (stable, fast, no dropouts, scales really well.

When using Roon and my main HiFi I tend to primarily stream to the Node 2 (in isolation). However, when using multiroom music playback I will always use Sonos.

The Bluesound app is not great (in my opinion) and I have also failed to create an index of my local music (MacBook pro). I do not mind as I use Roon exclusively but I would not be happy if I had to use Bluesound alone.

Hope this helps a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-28-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannis_K View Post
It depends on how you evaluate the Node 2: In isolation or as part of a multiroom system.

I currently have both Sonos (Connect, Play 5 and One) and Bluesound (Node 2 and Flex). I use Bluesound with Roon primarily for both lossless and some high res files. I have the Node 2 feeding the power stage of my amp (variable volume on rca). The Sonos connect feeds digital coax into a Rega Dac and then the line in of the amplifier. Comparing Node 2 as pre vs Sonos Connect + Rega Dac, the sound quality is quite comparable to my ears. Obviously I can only compare using 16bit lossless.

The Node 2 (as preamp) has a slightly darker sound flavour (to my ears).

The Sonos Connect as a preamp (variable out via RCA) falls a bit behind the Node 2 but not a night and day difference. I can live with both as pre amplifiers.

The Sonos wins over Bluesound when used as multiroom system. Bluesound units (Flex and Node 2 in my case) are a lot more sensitive to WiFi. Sonos is bulletproof comparatively (stable, fast, no dropouts, scales really well.

When using Roon and my main HiFi I tend to primarily stream to the Node 2 (in isolation). However, when using multiroom music playback I will always use Sonos.

The Bluesound app is not great (in my opinion) and I have also failed to create an index of my local music (MacBook pro). I do not mind as I use Roon exclusively but I would not be happy if I had to use Bluesound alone.

Hope this helps a bit

That is great feedback. Thanks for the insights. I agree that the Sonos system and architecture is very solid - including the app. I just recently began using Roon - with Sonos - and love it. I'm in my trial period but I think I will be purchasing it when my trial is up. I find myself getting lost in Roon researching bands and albums. Very cool.

Question - do you know if you can "pair" two Bluesound speakers to make a stereo pair as you can with Sonos? I just recently paired two Sonos Play 5's in my living room and am very pleased with the stereo result.
post #33 of 37 Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Hello all,
I have a question about the analog outs on the Node 2. I have an Anthem MRX 1120 and it does have a pass through mode for stereo inputs, but the sub does not function in this mode. I see there is a sub out also. Is there anyway I can add my Sub to my 2 channel audio using this output? Also if I use the optical out to my anthems internal DAC will I be able to utilize the MQA from the Tidal App?

Regards,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just bought a Node 2 as an alternative to my Yamaha WXC-50. The Yamaha works well, but this Node 2 is a much better execution. The App especially is vastly better than Yamaha's MusicCast Controller, and its available on the PC which is awesome. The only things I'll really miss from the Yamaha is bluetooth transmitter , which really came in handy. The Node 2 only receives bluetooth (correct?) Also the Yamaha has more outputs and inputs which can be convenient.

My current setup has the Node 2 connected via ethernet and analog rca to my Parasound HINT. The sound is great!
The initial setup was a little challenging and took some time. The Node 2 just comes with a quick guide with not a lot of information. I initially just hooked it up with Ethernet and turned it on. Then it start blinking different colors red and green or would stay solid red. I didn't know what was wrong, its not in the quick guide, so I disconnected and reconnected it few times. It wasn't until I did some digging online that I found that it was attempting to do a firmware update! \(0o0)/And having unplugged it a few times I thought for sure I bricked it. Bluesound ought to include a more in depth documentation. But After letting sit there and go through the process it finally completed the update after about 15 mins. Then I had to figure out how to had the music from my WD mycloud, which again theres no specific documentation on how to do it. The indexing process took about an hour for 14500 songs. The online faq says it should index 1200 songs every minute over ethernet. But in my reality it added about 500 songs every 2-3 mins. But once its was done, it was much faster just doing incremental updates. Oh and is it true you have to manual reindex when you added new music to your collection? I can't find away for it to auto reindex when new content is added.
So far though I'm pleased with the purchase and will be selling off my Yamaha MusicCast.

Last edited by Leroy Bad; 02-28-2018 at 09:07 PM.
post #35 of 37 Old 03-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My Node 2 updated to 2.16.1 today. Anybody know anything about this update?

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Nvidea Shield Pro / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD/
post #36 of 37 Old 03-06-2019, 07:05 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I wanted to get into the Bluesound ecosystem inexpensively, so I stopped at a dealer on the way to my vacation home, where I planned to use it. I wanted to get the Pulse Mini, but they didn't have it in stock, so I bought the Pulse Flex and saved a few bucks. However, it's sound isn't very good - somewhat muddy. I later spoke with a salesman at another store who also sells this and he said the Pulse Flex doesn't have very good sound. But it does have a headphone jack. Do you think connecting an amp to that jack would give me as good sound as any other Blusound device? My plan is to get the Nad 368 with the BlueOS module. The module, at $399, is $100 more than the Pulse Flex was and if the streaming electronics is the same, then getting the module for the Nad 368 is really only a matter of convenience/looks.

People on this and other threads complain about the Bluesound interface, but I don't think it's a problem, relative to the Sonos interface.
post #37 of 37 Old 05-31-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I added a Bluesound Node 2i to my home theater system. I have Tidal and a Buffalo Network Drive. I have about 300 CD's on Network Drive that I converted to AIFF with Apple Music using a $79 dollar Apple CD/DVD burner. The music sounds good but I wonder if I would be better off buying a Vault 2i and doing the CD conversion with the Vault rather than my cheap Apple burner. My understanding is that AIFF and FLAC files are identical but I have also read that it is better to convert to FLAC.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
bluesound , bluos , multi-room audio , node 2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page