AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/)
-   -   Next-Gen Apple TV to Support 4K and HDR (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2915448-next-gen-apple-tv-support-4k-hdr.html)

Scott Wilkinson 08-27-2017 10:35 PM

Next-Gen Apple TV to Support 4K and HDR

Will Apple finally get on the 4K/HDR bandwagon with the next generation of Apple TV set-top box? An official announcement is expected next month.

https://www.avsforum.com/next-gen-app...upport-4k-hdr/

tenthplanet 08-27-2017 10:55 PM

If The ATV 5 actually gets Dolby Vision, maybe it will put a little pressure on Roku to update it's 4K boxes. The ATV 5 may be coming at just the right time, 4k streaming is still in it's infancy.

Dave-T 08-27-2017 10:56 PM

This is great news if it is true. I hope they also fix the issue that The current gen 4 has which highly compresses the sound when playing through home theater speakers.

blurule 08-28-2017 01:03 AM

If this is true this would be awesome.

Skunkbeard 08-28-2017 01:24 AM

9 Attachment(s)
If the Vudu and Netflix app gets Dolby Vision with Atmos over DD+ on the Apple TV, I'm in.

At the same time, it's a little embarrassing that their current streamer isn't even 4k. I wouldn't hype a future release at a later date...just announce and release the same day.

wxman 08-28-2017 02:00 AM

Hopefully ATV 5 will also stream 24hz material in 24hz, not converted automatically to 60hz.

Noah Moore 08-28-2017 02:46 AM

Awesome news!:cool:

Supermans 08-28-2017 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wxman (Post 54703610)
Hopefully ATV 5 will also stream 24hz material in 24hz, not converted automatically to 60hz.

This is apple we are talking about here. Everything will be automatically converted to 60hz. However hopefully one of their developers is an avsforum member. ;)

Quicksilv3r 08-28-2017 04:57 AM

What would be awesome is if they could do Lossless audio besides their own file formats.

Supermans 08-28-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r (Post 54703906)
What would be awesome is if they could do Lossless audio besides their own file formats.

Now you're asking for too much ;)

Balthazar2k4 08-28-2017 06:54 AM

I think the addition of 4K/HDR capability is great, but without any type of object oriented sound support this is a non-starter for me. I'll cross my fingers, but Apple will most likely disappoint me.

Al Leong 08-28-2017 07:32 AM

Apple are years behind now on just baseline products, I can't believe people still accept this innovation latency as still being "special" because Apple is doing it...

I can't think of a thing Apple is doing today in products that isn't at least 2 years behind someone else.

CosmoNut 08-28-2017 07:36 AM

I'm ready to just rely on one streamer. Right now our Fire TV is the go-to, but it doesn't support Apple stuff. If an ATV with HDR and 4K can support all of the services I want AND can AirPlay ... it wins in my book.

robnix 08-28-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Leong (Post 54704444)
Apple are years behind now on just baseline products, I can't believe people still accept this innovation latency as still being "special" because Apple is doing it...

I can't think of a thing Apple is doing today in products that isn't at least 2 years behind someone else.

I can, the UX is leaps and bounds better than any competitor. Just the fact that the buttons on my Harmony control all the apps in the same way is a step above the rest.

I've tried a Roku, Nvidia Shield, FireTV, Xbox One, the apps on my 940E, and a PS4. There's always something just wrong somewhere with the UX that make them unpleasant devices to use.

anthonymoody 08-28-2017 10:30 AM

Finally! I can have all my content in one (streaming) place and in 4K: Apple/iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, and Vudu, each of which is on or coming soon to ATV. Thank the maker!

Jish9 08-28-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 54705244)
I can, the UX is leaps and bounds better than any competitor. Just the fact that the buttons on my Harmony control all the apps in the same way is a step above the rest.

I've tried a Roku, Nvidia Shield, FireTV, Xbox One, the apps on my 940E, and a PS4. There's always something just wrong somewhere with the UX that make them unpleasant devices to use.

From looking at the UX online, it does not seem to be able to stream 4K content; I don't know about HD audio pass through. I too went with all the options you listed above and eventually steered away from Apple TV because of its' inability to bitstream HD audio to my AVR. I settled on a 2017 shield and am loving the interface and KODI for my movies. It will be interesting to see how Apple plans on handling the licensing for DOLBY as they did not want to deal with it on their ATV4 hence you got DD 5.1 on a DTSHD-MA disk!

Phrehdd 08-28-2017 11:57 AM

I guess everyone has a different need of a streamer box. For me this is my checklist includes a lot of things that I wont get with ATV other than a nice interface.

My needs include - able to play local network media files of various formats beyond what ATV offers now (such as VOB files, ts or m2tv files, flac files and mkv files as examples). Apple chose to be limited enough to lock people into iTunes.

As for movie/tv show rentals, I do quite well with both Vudu and Amazon offerings. I will say that my past rental/purchases from iTunes sit between Vudu and Amazon (to my eye) in quality and I have no complaint in general about how they looked on my TV.

I will just say I find nothing really exciting when Apple boasts about new features which translates to nothing more than catching up and nothing really innovative. This is not the same Apple of yore. If promotion was honest it might look like this -

Apple - we're just another company

tenthplanet 08-28-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Apple goes in when there is money to be made, innovation alone is no guarantee of making money. It's turning into a Samsung and Apple world.

tenthplanet 08-28-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunkbeard (Post 54703576)
If the Vudu and Netflix app gets Dolby Vision with Atmos over DD+ on the Apple TV, I'm in.

At the same time, it's a little embarrassing that their current streamer isn't even 4k. I wouldn't hype a future release at a later date...just announce and release the same day.

Most people's internet can't stream 4k, would you market an electric car where there is no place to charge it.

darknite9099 08-28-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Never thought of TV as being 2 years behind. More like waiting until 4K standards were actually in place.
It was a smart thing to do. How many AVS members got ripped off when AVRs purchased late last year or even this Q1 2017 didn't fully support 4K/HDR, and even though the receiver was under a year old (or way newer) would never get a Dolby Vision update?

Glad Apple waited until the HDR part of the equation was solidly in place.

If you want to talk about being behind lets kvetch about Amazon Prime video not being on TV yet...

mdsjedi44 08-28-2017 12:17 PM

I might be asking too much, but I wonder if it will have a separate audio-out in order to connect video directly to your tv and audio to the AVRs that don't have Dolby Vision pass-through.

robnix 08-28-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jish9 (Post 54705870)
From looking at the UX online, it does not seem to be able to stream 4K content; I don't know about HD audio pass through. I too went with all the options you listed above and eventually steered away from Apple TV because of its' inability to bitstream HD audio to my AVR. I settled on a 2017 shield and am loving the interface and KODI for my movies. It will be interesting to see how Apple plans on handling the licensing for DOLBY as they did not want to deal with it on their ATV4 hence you got DD 5.1 on a DTSHD-MA disk!

Irrelevant for me, I use a Dune Solo for my BR Collection. However, since you bring it up, The Infuse app will pass Dolby-HD and DTS-HD to your AVR via 7.1 LPCM on an ATV4. No support for Atmos and DTS:X though.

https://firecore.com/infuse

Glad your Shield is working for you, I hated the terrible interface and the poor 3rd party remote integration. Yes, I had a flirc adapter, no not all apps used the same buttons on my Harmony for the same action.

Scott Wilkinson 08-28-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darknite9099 (Post 54706154)
If you want to talk about being behind lets kvetch about Amazon Prime video not being on TV yet...

Apparently, Apple TV will get Amazon Prime Video later this year...

vipervick 08-28-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson (Post 54707020)
Apparently, Apple TV will get Amazon Prime Video later this year...

And that's why I got rid of my Apple TV's... I have a Fire TV with Kodi for casual watching downstairs and the PS4 Pro connected to my HT.

JohnAV 08-28-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 54703354)
If The ATV 5 actually gets Dolby Vision, maybe it will put a little pressure on Roku to update it's 4K boxes. The ATV 5 may be coming at just the right time, 4k streaming is still in it's infancy.

Yes it only very recently you have other devices (smartphones, UHD players, 4K displays) being updated to not only support HDR10, but Dolby Vision, and HDR HLG. The audio outputs is also something to ponder about. The ATV4 has both HDMI and Optical, but will the ATV5 also? How about DD+ support? :)

Date expected is Sept 12 per Wall Street Review article. All the tvOS, iOS version 11 beta's are now on their 8th release, pretty close! :cool:

JohnAV 08-28-2017 03:18 PM

May be of interest

lockdown571 08-28-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

There is some hope given that the new iPad Pros are able to switch refresh rate between 24 hz and 120 hz. Still probably a long shot though.

tjcinnamon 08-28-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

+100000

Heck, if they have "sync display frame rate to content framerate" that would be unheard of! Currently I use Plex Media Player for Windows for that functionality alone. Video plays so much smoother that way.

So again.... +1000000

tjcinnamon 08-28-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-T (Post 54703356)
This is great news if it is true. I hope they also fix the issue that The current gen 4 has which highly compresses the sound when playing through home theater speakers.

Perhaps if they allow bitstreaming this will fix that issue

tjcinnamon 08-28-2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnix (Post 54705244)

100%

The Roku interface is terrible. The shield is unstable with android Os and the Android app support is generally behind for big ticket apps.

The xbone can keep up stability-wise l but it's cluttered. I have no experience with the PS4

Generally the iOS apps are best and first supported by vendors.

I've returned a Roku ultra (interface), Xbox one (due to bitstreaming Atmos), and nVidia shield (instability and an out of date UFC.tv app)