Sling TV the Good and the BAD - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 118 Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Angry DVR not supported on Windows 7, some other devices

I re-enrolled in Sling, using my Windows 7 PC. Added the $5/month CloudDVR option - also from that PC.

Oops! The DVR does not work on Windows 7. (Maybe because they don't have a Windows 7 app anymore? You are supposed to use the Chrome browser - but there are no "record" options on the screen.)

It DOES work on my Roku... But I LIKE my PC, because it has a real keyboard. Searching on the Roku remote, using arrow and OK keys to select fake keys on a fake keyboard is like pulling teeth, and is more than an orders of magnitude slower than using a real keyboard.

In fact, it doesn't work on some other devices:

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US...getParentName=

Once again, Sling makes it hard to figure out what you are paying for until you have paid for it...

Oh, come on, Sling: It would be so easy to fix these types of mis-impression problems, that cause lots of annoyance from Sling's customers: Just make the home page clearer. Say, in clear text, exactly what is included at what cost, and what devices everything, including the DVR, works on.

I've been recommend Sling to people, because of price, and because it works well on the platforms I like to use, unlike some others. No more! I'll use it, but I won't be as happy or recommend it any more.

Last edited by MRG1; 02-23-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 Old 03-04-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
I re-enrolled in Sling, using my Windows 7 PC. Added the $5/month CloudDVR option - also from that PC.

Oops! The DVR does not work on Windows 7. (Maybe because they don't have a Windows 7 app anymore? You are supposed to use the Chrome browser - but there are no "record" options on the screen.)

It DOES work on my Roku... But I LIKE my PC, because it has a real keyboard. Searching on the Roku remote, using arrow and OK keys to select fake keys on a fake keyboard is like pulling teeth, and is more than an orders of magnitude slower than using a real keyboard.

In fact, it doesn't work on some other devices:

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US...getParentName=

Once again, Sling makes it hard to figure out what you are paying for until you have paid for it...

Oh, come on, Sling: It would be so easy to fix these types of mis-impression problems, that cause lots of annoyance from Sling's customers: Just make the home page clearer. Say, in clear text, exactly what is included at what cost, and what devices everything, including the DVR, works on.

I've been recommend Sling to people, because of price, and because it works well on the platforms I like to use, unlike some others. No more! I'll use it, but I won't be as happy or recommend it any more.
Eeks. Sling just forgot ALL my favorite channels and shows - on both the PC and the Roku.

Huh?
post #33 of 118 Old 03-05-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2048 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
Quote:
Eeks. Sling just forgot ALL my favorite channels and shows - on both the PC and the Roku.

Huh?
Server problems, they will be back in a few hours, had similar problem about eight months ago.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 118 Old 03-06-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Server problems, they will be back in a few hours, had similar problem about eight months ago.
Well, the problem still exists.

It's a good thing I keep track of the shows and episodes I have watched.

Is anyone else seeing this problem, or is it just me?
post #35 of 118 Old 04-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,

I see this thread is not quite dead yet so thought I would add my two cents.

I just started a trial subscription because they have added the French Channels (TV5) for $15 a month and I have Dish at close to $60 for a similar package.

Problem is their cloud DVR system I cannot get to work, so I cannot record what I what to see. Also a lot of buffering problems. I guess this is just not a viable solution for a potential cord cutter.

Has anyone got the DVR to work right. I cannot get a reliable interface to adjust recording of various shows.
I have tried W10, iPhone, Android and XBOX1 interfaces.....

Cheers

JY
post #36 of 118 Old 04-06-2018, 12:06 PM

News flash... they just cancelled my subscription... I guess for complaining....
post #37 of 118 Old 04-06-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
Hello,

I see this thread is not quite dead yet so thought I would add my two cents.

I just started a trial subscription because they have added the French Channels (TV5) for $15 a month and I have Dish at close to $60 for a similar package.

Problem is their cloud DVR system I cannot get to work, so I cannot record what I what to see. Also a lot of buffering problems. I guess this is just not a viable solution for a potential cord cutter.

Has anyone got the DVR to work right. I cannot get a reliable interface to adjust recording of various shows.
I have tried W10, iPhone, Android and XBOX1 interfaces.....

Cheers

JY
Roku is the way to go. It was one of the original streaming devices for Sling and it works most of the time.
jerryyyyy likes this.

post #38 of 118 Old 04-06-2018, 02:27 PM

OK, will renew my cancelled subscription and try that tonight. I have a Roku stick in my Oppo BR player and the quality of the images is fine.

What is weird is that the presentations on the different platforms of the same materials just looks wrong or incomplete.

Thanks for the encouragement.

PS So this works fine for you?
post #39 of 118 Old 04-08-2018, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
With any Service distributing Live TV, it's not as simple as which platform to run the app on. SlingTV uses more than 50 distribution centers that integrate local TV and Cloud DVR services and need additional infrastructure to keep up with demand and added features. One day service could be lagging in the Chicago DMA, while perfect in Ft Lauderdale. The "last mile" is another factor that they have no control over.

I had better overall quality with the Android TV platform, with Apple TV following close second. Entry level FireTV, and Roku couldn't keep up, and required changing to a lower quality setting keeping all other factors the same.

I'm unfamiliar with the new International Add on packages, but assume there is more of pre-buffer delay than national streams, and local streams. There is at least a full minute delay between OTA local vs SlingTV local, and 30-45 second delay between Xfinity cable TNT, USA, etc and SlingTV TNT, USA.

Not all channels can be recorded to Cloud DVR, do they mention that the International Add Ons are supported? Disney and ESPN aren't supported, as well as Fox local in some markets.
post #40 of 118 Old 04-10-2018, 11:06 AM

CloudDVR works on windows 7 now too

CloudDVR didn't used to work AT ALL on Windows 7 (there wasn't even an on-screen icon) - I had to use my Roku - which did work.

I just tried playing again on Windows 7 (using the Chrome browser), though only briefly. It worked! And it still works on a Roku Express.

I love Roku in general, because I think it handles slow connections and dropped packets better, and many channels are available under Roku but nowhere else, but if the PC works long term, that will be a huge improvement for using Sling, because the PC has a physical keyboard, and a mouse, and the Roku doesn't, which makes searching for things, and selecting things, and selecting where you want to FF to, an order of magnitude or more easier and faster. Roku should offer a box that takes a physical keyboard and mouse!

Anyway, it seems that Sling does get better. Sometimes a bit slowly, but it does improve. Compared to DirecTV, which when I tried it in December 2017 - early January 2018, hardly worked at all on Windows 7 or Roku, Sling is pretty reliable. Though I wish I could get CBS.

Though - it would be nice if Sling would let me FF through the ads on ALL programs. Maybe that is one of the things you have to sometimes drop on a service that underprices cable - where FF always DOES work through ads (last I checked, for Comcast/Xfinity and Time Warner. (Cable was also completely reliable - you never had to wait for buffering, as you still occasionally do with Sling and the other streaming services I tried. But, if you keep it too long, Comcast/Infinity becomes much, much too expensive.)

(Incidentally, I just did the free trial week on the CBS All Access service - not through Sling. At the end of the week, when I cancelled, after binge watching all of Star Trek Discovery, and briefly trying out a couple other shows, it gave me a month free, presumably to entice me to stay. Nice [though that series is over for the season] - but CBS All Access is still too expensive for one show that I like on one channel. NBC, ABC, CW, & Bravo think ads are enough to pay to watch everything, but unfortunately CBS does not. SyFy, the reason I subscribe to Sling, doesn't either - but I like several SyFy shows.)

Last edited by MRG1; 04-10-2018 at 11:10 AM.
post #41 of 118 Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So I noticed something interesting:

Whenever I use Sling on my Xbox One I get no commercials for On-demand content, but when I watch it on my LG WebOS I do get commercials. Any idea why?

Blurays: 115
HD-DVD: 12- YES I will be keeping them so I can own a piece of history
post #42 of 118 Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
For our household, Sling TV has eventually overcome all of the issues we were having, except one. Now, Comcast/Xfinity must be aware of the vast exodus of Cable customers, and is offering competitive service, so we are considering the options.

One member of the household is a big CNN watcher, and there is a verified issue of CNN on SlingTV glitching, and repeating the previous hours program until, or unless, the channel is changed, then returned, at which time the currently airing program is viewable. We questioned her about this but eventually we all concurred this happened on every device, Apple TV, Roku, Android TV etc. Also, CNN on SlingTV has a reoccurring audio drop out and loss of sync.

Other than this issue, we have no complaints with our Sling TV Blue/Cloud DVR service as it is today. All devices are connected by Ethernet directly to modem, or by MOCA 2.0 bonded via modem. The Ethernet connections contribute to the consistent streams, as early on there were a few issues with one user over wifi.

In our particular neighborhood, Comcast/xfinity is the only broadband provider. We have an open contract 150 Mbps package at $79.99 plus $11.00 modem rental. With applicable taxes & fees, our total bill is consistently under $100 Add in the Sling TV Blue with DVR, ($30), our entertainment costs are $130.

There are other streaming apps we pay for, but we will continue to use them so I'm not factoring them into the costs for comparison.

In each months Comcast bill, they have included offers, ( deceptive offers), to come back to the family. The fine print also has the important info, "in addition to the advertised Offer Cost these fees apply; $8 per month Broadcast TV fee, $6.75 Regional Sports fee, HD Technology fee $15.00 , X1 box required for offer, rental fees of $15.00. This offer only valid for 1 outlet. Other fees may apply".

I don't have an issue with fine print when discussing options, or add Ons, but at least in my case, none of the small print fees are optional, they are a requirement.

Anyway, this month's offer was better, and suggested to come to the xfinity local store for a personal offer. So, I did, and I have a printed offer open for 30 days. For 69.99 I receive same internet service tier I'm using, plus 220 channel package. They are waiving the X1 requirement in exchange for Cable Card. They are waiving the HD Technology Fee as that is related to X1 device. My previously purchased HDHomerun Prime will handle the Cable Card and has 3 tuners.
I will not have access to Xfinity On Demand Services, as that is X1 or TiVo CableCard only.

It does require a 2 year commitment but the prices are guaranteed. It's $69.99 for months 1-12, and $79.99 for 13-24.
I still have the $11.00 a month modem rental, and couldn't get out of the Broadcast TV fee or Regional Sports fee or taxes, but for first year it's actually less than what I was paying for Broadband by itself, and second year $10 more, plus I save the entire $30 I was spending on SlingTV.

I have 2 weeks to pull the trigger. I really like the no commitment to SlingTV, and the idea of being tied up with Comcast/Xfinity again, and for 2 years isn't settling well. But saving money, and getting great service is everyone's goal.

I guess I'm trusting that this will in fact be what was agreed upon.
beerhunt likes this.
post #43 of 118 Old 07-19-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
In our particular neighborhood, Comcast/xfinity is the only broadband provider.
Comcast/XFinity aren't the only "unlimited" broadband option in most of the U.S. E.g., there is always satellite, like Viasat (https://broadbandnow.com/Exede-Internet) which at least sounds like it is competitively priced, though I know nothing about them. Of course, satellite has a high latency (effectively, how fast they respond to button clicks), due to speed-of-light travel times, but most of the time that won't matter. Not sure about your neighborhood, but most phone companies offer broadband Internet too.

For everything EXCEPT price, Comcast/XFinity used to provide us with excellent service. Their highest level techs know their stuff - they have to, because they are a very attractive target for hackers. if you get dual broadband/TV service, they had incredibly good VOD. I really can't say anything bad about them technically. If they made sure their ads and their local affiliates were all honest, they could virtually get the whole market - and from a purely technical perspective, they deserve to

You may be able to bring down price by buying your own modem and wireless router. As with most ISPs, it may help to use an alternate DNS, like Google's https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns, rather than Xfinity's, which sometimes goes down.

But watch the equipment rental fees, and read EVERY bill in detail. From personal experience, some of their local affiliates love to charge you for equipment you bought yourself, or that you never got from them. After a while, they often start charging for stuff they didn't originally, like remotes, boxes and DVRs, and extra service fees. When you pick up your equipment, video it, so you can document what equipment they actually give you. Keep a copy of the contracts - take pictures of them with your phone if they take them away. If you can, avoid paperless billing - you want proof. Make sure the price is locked in for your whole 2 year contract period! It might not hurt to contact your local better business bureau, and ask your friends and neighbors, to investigate your particular local affiliate, before you jump.
Primestar31 likes this.
post #44 of 118 Old 07-26-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post
So I noticed something interesting:

Whenever I use Sling on my Xbox One I get no commercials for On-demand content, but when I watch it on my LG WebOS I do get commercials. Any idea why?
When I first subscribed, Sling had a Win 7 app and a Channel Master DVR+ app, and I noticed the same thing: I got commercials on the Win 7 app but not the DVR+ app. So it seems to depend on the specific Sling app.

Eventually Sling blocked both apps, so I had to buy a Roku. I get commercials on the Roku.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-26-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Fix typo
post #45 of 118 Old 07-26-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I've read that Sling has bumped the price of Sling Orange by $5/mo. to $25/mo., but have left the price the same ($40/mo) if you have both Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Also, they've added a few a la carte channels (most notably Showtime) for viewers without a "base" subscription of either Orange or Blue.

The article didn't mention whether Sling Blue alone went up. Does anyone know? Edit: Just answered my own question. Blue hasn't gone up; it's still $25/mo. (It was my base package when I was a Sling customer.) So Sling actually simplified things with that price increase: either base package is $25; both together are $40.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-26-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #46 of 118 Old 07-30-2018, 12:59 AM

If any of you are still having trouble using CloudDVR on a browser (like Chrome) on a PC (I used a Windows 7 PC, with Chrome), here is what you do:

1. Click on the search box near the upper right.
2. Search for the series (e.g., type in the name of the series) you want to record.
3. Select the image for the proper series
4. Click on the Heart - it fills in red to indicate that you want to record it.
5. It will no "record" future airings. They will show up under the "My TV" tab.
6. After step 3, you can also play the episodes of that series on demand - but "recorded" episodes show up many days before on demand episodes.
7. You should "delete" the episode after you have played it, because you have a limited # of hours for recordings. If the delete button doesn't come up when you select the episode, click on the "information" button - and it will.

BTW, Recordings work perfectly, when you use the chrome browser on a Windows 7 PC, and perhaps on other PCs and computers as well. However, if your Internet connection is a bit flakey, a Roku box can handle playback a bit better than a PC, even though the Roku remote push button interface is a lot clumsier than the PC keyboard/mouse interface. In particular, Chrome sometimes crashes if your Internet connection is flakey. (I have also played with Firefox, Opera and Internet explorer browsers - for the most part, they have somewhat more problems playing video, for me - though there are certain video sites that only work with one browser, and, depending on the site, it isn't always Chrome.)

Some people may have been confused because there is no button marked "record". Also, you can probably do something similar from the Guide tab, selecting a future program, and selecting to record it - but I don't do that, and haven't tested it.

Hope that helps.

BTW, I wrote this from memory, because I've temporarily cancelled Sling. I am switching to a Playstation Vue trial, and will then try DirecTV Now for a month, to binge watch some shows on channels I can't see on Sling. In about 2 months, I will switch back to Sling again.

Switching back and forth between services, with a few weeks of no service in between, and binge watching on-demand episodes, seems like the cheapest way to get service from the IPTV marketplace, and the best way to get more channels! I love Sling's reliability and simplicity, but the lowest service level of DirecTV Now has all the channels I watch (e.g., Sling incorrectly thinks I only should have 3 local broadcast channels - if I could put up an antenna, there are more than 40, but DirecTV Now thinks I have more than Sling. Like DirecTV Now says ABC, CBS and CW are all local, whereas Sling says no.) OTOH, if you look at their forum here, it looks like DirecTV Now is still remarkably unreliable for many people. (Sole exception - some people, in some parts of the U.S., say DirecTV Now is reliable, if and only if they use the expensive Apple 4K device to view it. Maybe it also depends on their ISP.)

I'm sure the IPTV providers don't like what I am doing, because they would prefer me to stay signed up continuously, but it makes economic sense.

Last edited by MRG1; 07-30-2018 at 08:23 AM.
post #47 of 118 Old 07-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
SlingTV is NOT a replacement for expanded cable or satellite

I've been shopping through the various streaming tv services; looking for a replacement for satellite. I have a pretty complete package for directv satellite. Their highest package. It includes all the premium channels too.

Looking to sling as an option, but dang, not much of an option. If I DON'T get dvr, international, or spanish; BUT GET EVERYTHING ELSE; the price is going to be $124 a month. And that's not even all of the channels I want. I expect them to have less channels than satellite and cable, but quite a few major channels they don't get. And for $124 a month for what I do get, it isn't saving any money at all. To get everything DirectvNow has to offer, which is also a lot more channels, the very most is only $93 total price.

Sorry; but I don't know why Slingtv seems to have so many followers. Even with the basic packages from Vue and DirectvNow, the same exact price, you can get a whole lot more.

What is the appeal of Slingtv? Am I missing something important here. I haven't made a decision yet, but price and channel selection doesn't seem to be in their favor. Maybe I'm missing something.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Last edited by Christcorp; 07-30-2018 at 10:52 AM.
post #48 of 118 Old 07-30-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
I've been shopping through the various streaming tv services; looking for a replacement for satellite. I have a pretty complete package for directv satellite. Their highest package. It includes all the premium channels too.

Looking to sling as an option, but dang, not much of an option. If I DON'T get dvr, international, or spanish; BUT GET EVERYTHING ELSE; the price is going to be $124 a month. And that's not even all of the channels I want. I expect them to have less channels than satellite and cable, but quite a few major channels they don't get. And for $124 a month for what I do get, it isn't saving any money at all. To get everything DirectvNow has to offer, which is also a lot more channels, the very most is only $93 total price.

Sorry; but I don't know why Slingtv seems to have so many followers. Even with the basic packages from Vue and DirectvNow, the same exact price, you can get a whole lot more.

What is the appeal of Slingtv? Am I missing something important here. I haven't made a decision yet, but price and channel selection doesn't seem to be in their favor. Maybe I'm missing something.
Sling is very modular, most of the channels fall under 50 dollars all in and the dvr is reliable and has no expiration date, also those who got in the on the ground floor have some grandfathered deals. DirectTVNow offers more channels but the DVR needs work. If you want a lot of channels, cable and satellite bundles may still work better for you and both use hardware dvr's ( cloud dvr's not quite there yet).
I got ground floor deals on both Sling and DirectTVNow, but my advice to you if you like a turnkey experience ott tv streaming service is not for you, it least not yet.
You might want to look into Level 3 also, it uses the internet and a hardware dvr/set top box. If it's available in your area and you have high speed internet it may be worth looking into.

post #49 of 118 Old 07-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sling is very modular, most of the channels fall under 50 dollars all in and the dvr is reliable and has no expiration date, also those who got in the on the ground floor have some grandfathered deals. DirectTVNow offers more channels but the DVR needs work. If you want a lot of channels, cable and satellite bundles may still work better for you and both use hardware dvr's ( cloud dvr's not quite there yet).
I got ground floor deals on both Sling and DirectTVNow, but my advice to you if you like a turnkey experience ott tv streaming service is not for you, it least not yet.
You might want to look into Level 3 also, it uses the internet and a hardware dvr/set top box. If it's available in your area and you have high speed internet it may be worth looking into.
Thanks for the reply. You kept mentioning in your reply, one thing that I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever (DVR). There's nothing about recording tv that appeals to me. I don't care about skipping commercials; and my lifestyle is such, that if I don't have time to watch it now...... I definitely don't have time to watch it later. So that's not an issue.

When I take that part out of your reply, I look at the channels and price. I noticed that yes, you can get the orange+blue for $40, but the directv basic $40 package has more channels. As for the extras, I believe that the appeal with Sling, is everything is an extra at extra cost. This allows you you choose less if you want to. PS vue, directvnow, and hulu can provide most/all of the channels that satellite gets me, and for about $50-$70 less. (Directv satellite is very misleading on their "Channels" because of all the useless music channels).

I was just curious what the appeal to sling was. And I understand that they have a very basic package and you can add to it as you like. I was simply pointing out, that if you want to get rid of expanded satellite or expanded cable, and looking for a streaming replacement, that Slingtv is definitely not the right answer. It will cost you more than all of the other streaming services, and you'll get less. But if you only want a basic cable type package, slingtv can be a decent deal.

Michael

post #50 of 118 Old 07-31-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
(e.g., Sling incorrectly thinks I only should have 3 local broadcast channels - if I could put up an antenna, there are more than 40....)
I don't fully understand Sling's relationship with local channels. When I first signed up, I didn't expect any local channels, because I understood Sling to be a "fill-in" service for folks who were switching from cable/satellite to OTA (antenna) television, but wanted to keep the most popular cable/satellite-only channels such as ESPN.

ESPN itself wasn't a biggie for me, so when I signed up, I went the other direction with the Sling Blue lineup - it had more of the "cable" channels my wife & I wanted. But once I activated the service, I discovered four of my local channels - the local Fox, NBC, Univision, y Unimas affiliates - on my lineup along with those "cable" channels.

Even weirder, when I signed onto my Sling account from out of town, I got the affiliates of the same networks from that market instead of my "home" market! Apparently Sling geolocates your market based on the IP address you're using and provides the network affiliates from that market. If you use a VPN, Sling might give you some very strange "local" stations - or they may recognize the VPN's IP address as such, and just fall back to your home market.

I think they were there because Fox and NBC Universal sell their offerings as a package - if Sling wants anything, they get everything - so we consumers get a small bonus of a few local stations. (But oddly, NBC-owned Telemundo wasn't included, so I still don't have it completely figured out.) I think ABC/Disney/ESPN do the same thing on Sling Orange, so if I'd gone that route, I probably would've seen my local ABC affiliate in my lineup.
post #51 of 118 Old 08-01-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. You kept mentioning in your reply, one thing that I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever (DVR). There's nothing about recording tv that appeals to me. I don't care about skipping commercials; and my lifestyle is such, that if I don't have time to watch it now...... I definitely don't have time to watch it later. So that's not an issue.

When I take that part out of your reply, I look at the channels and price. I noticed that yes, you can get the orange+blue for $40, but the directv basic $40 package has more channels. As for the extras, I believe that the appeal with Sling, is everything is an extra at extra cost. This allows you you choose less if you want to. PS vue, directvnow, and hulu can provide most/all of the channels that satellite gets me, and for about $50-$70 less. (Directv satellite is very misleading on their "Channels" because of all the useless music channels).

I was just curious what the appeal to sling was. And I understand that they have a very basic package and you can add to it as you like. I was simply pointing out, that if you want to get rid of expanded satellite or expanded cable, and looking for a streaming replacement, that Slingtv is definitely not the right answer. It will cost you more than all of the other streaming services, and you'll get less. But if you only want a basic cable type package, slingtv can be a decent deal.
Directv now doesn't have an Android TV app or a Windows 10 app. My Sony x900e and my set top boxes (Nvidia Shield, Dish AirTV Player) are all Android TV. DTVnow on a computer requires the use of Chrome while I use Firefox. SlingTV has apps on everything.
post #52 of 118 Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Do you mean Layer 3?

(https://layer3tv.com)

They want to be your ISP too, but if you ask, they will also sell you service that you get through other ISPs. Last I checked, their cheapest plan was $75/month.

DirecTV has been talking about adding another layer beyond DirecTV Now, that will give you about the same number of channels as DirecTV satellite service, though at an added cost.

BTW, one advantage of Sling is that it is very reliable, even on relatively modest streaming devices and computers. A lot of people don't find that true for DirecTV Now, although some people who have high and Apple TV 4K streaming devices, and very good high bandwidth Internet connections, say it works well for them.

Another advantage of Sling is that they have a fairly easy to figure out user interface.

BTW, Youtube+Live TV is another streaming service to be considered - but they don't offer as many channels as some or satellite services either.

If most of the programs you watch are on Sling Blue, you could occasionally switch for a month to a more expensive service to see the other shows, and binge watch, or buy the other programs through services like Vudu, Google Play, Amazon, or iTunes (they vary by program as to which is cheapest). That said, I agree that cable, phone, and satellite services, with hardware DVR boxes, are a lot easier to use than any streaming service I have tried, and you can generally skip through the ads, a huge convenience, which is only true of some channels on services like Sling. Unfortunately, that convenience costs money, and most of the cable, phone and satellite companies also price deceptively - you may end up paying a lot more than you expected, especially after 6 months to a year have passed.

So it is a trade-off, like a lot of things in life.
post #53 of 118 Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=MRG1;56577236]Do you mean Layer 3?

(https://layer3tv.com)

They want to be your ISP too, but if you ask, they will also sell you service that you get through other ISPs. Last I checked, their cheapest plan was $75/month.

DirecTV has been talking about adding another layer beyond DirecTV Now, that will give you about the same number of channels as DirecTV satellite service, though at an added cost.

BTW, one advantage of Sling is that it is very reliable, even on relatively modest streaming devices and computers. A lot of people don't find that true for DirecTV Now, although some people who have high and Apple TV 4K streaming devices, and very good high bandwidth Internet connections, say it works well for them.

Another advantage of Sling is that they have a fairly easy to figure out user interface.

BTW, Youtube+Live TV is another streaming service to be considered - but they don't offer as many channels as some or satellite services either.

If most of the programs you watch are on Sling Blue, you could occasionally switch for a month to a more expensive service to see the other shows, and binge watch, or buy the other programs through services like Vudu, Google Play, Amazon, or iTunes (they vary by program as to which is cheapest). That said, I agree that cable, phone, and satellite services, with hardware DVR boxes, are a lot easier to use than any streaming service I have tried, and you can generally skip through the ads, a huge convenience, which is only true of some channels on services like Sling. Unfortunately, that convenience costs money, and most of the cable, phone and satellite companies also price deceptively - you may end up paying a lot more than you expected, especially after 6 months to a year have passed.

So it is a trade-off, like a lot of things in life.[/QUOTE
Oops you're right that was supposed to be Level 3, (AVS was a little sticky that day). So much of this depends on broadband service, what you have vs. what you may need. DVR's are necessity as much as a convenience, VOD doesn't cover everything or sometimes just doesn't work.

post #54 of 118 Old 08-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
Directv now doesn't have an Android TV app or a Windows 10 app. My Sony x900e and my set top boxes (Nvidia Shield, Dish AirTV Player) are all Android TV. DTVnow on a computer requires the use of Chrome while I use Firefox. SlingTV has apps on everything.
I can appreciate that. For me personally, I don't prefer using built in TV apps or apps built into a blu ray player. I prefer Apple tv or Roku. (Actually, I use BOTH). I use an AVR, so I get me audio directly to the AVR via bitstream HDMI. I don't have to use toslink/optical, and don't have to rely on my tv and ARC. Then, it doesn't matter what type of tv I connect to. So an android tv doesn't matter if you're using roku or apple tv.

I did just read on another site, that Directvnow, earlier this month (July) became available on Nvidia shield. I also use the DirectvNow on my wife's android tablet and my Ipad.

The few times I've used it on my PC, a browser isn't an issue. I would never have just one browser. Too many things that require different browsers. I use waterfox mainly; but I do a lot of work using a google drive, so chrome works best for me for those tasks between home and work. I go to a lot of government sites, and quite a few of them prefer explorer/edge. I have a banking app that totally hates water/fire fox. Point is, I haven't had just one browser on my computer in MORE than 20 years. I didn't know there are people who only have one browser. I guess in that case, DirectvNow wouldn't be an option.

So none of this was a factor when I was looking at Slingtv. Again; I think slingtv is great for someone looking for basic cable. it's just that if you start adding on all the add on channels, you can easily be back at what you were paying for cable or satellite. $120+. If I'm going to pay that, I'll stay with satellite.

Michael

post #55 of 118 Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I can appreciate that. For me personally, I don't prefer using built in TV apps or apps built into a blu ray player. I prefer Apple tv or Roku. (Actually, I use BOTH). I use an AVR, so I get me audio directly to the AVR via bitstream HDMI. I don't have to use toslink/optical, and don't have to rely on my tv and ARC. Then, it doesn't matter what type of tv I connect to. So an android tv doesn't matter if you're using roku or apple tv.

I did just read on another site, that Directvnow, earlier this month (July) became available on Nvidia shield. I also use the DirectvNow on my wife's android tablet and my Ipad.

The few times I've used it on my PC, a browser isn't an issue. I would never have just one browser. Too many things that require different browsers. I use waterfox mainly; but I do a lot of work using a google drive, so chrome works best for me for those tasks between home and work. I go to a lot of government sites, and quite a few of them prefer explorer/edge. I have a banking app that totally hates water/fire fox. Point is, I haven't had just one browser on my computer in MORE than 20 years. I didn't know there are people who only have one browser. I guess in that case, DirectvNow wouldn't be an option.

So none of this was a factor when I was looking at Slingtv. Again; I think slingtv is great for someone looking for basic cable. it's just that if you start adding on all the add on channels, you can easily be back at what you were paying for cable or satellite. $120+. If I'm going to pay that, I'll stay with satellite.
I do want to switch to DirectvNow because they have everything in one place. ESPN, ESPNU, BTN, Discovery and Velocity are all included in the middle package tier that you don't get with SlingTV. I do have other browsers on my PC, just not Chrome as I don't want Google's 'claws' on my Windows PC. The Shield TV doesn't have a DTVN app, but people are sideloading the FireTV version and it runs better on the STV because it's faster than any other STB.
Also don't forget that with SlingTV Blue you get 3 devices at the same time so I can share my account. Does DirectvNow allow that?
I don't use Apple, Roku or Amazon (fire) boxes on my TV.

Last edited by Tfid; 08-02-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #56 of 118 Old 08-06-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I do have other browsers on my PC, just not Chrome as I don't want Google's 'claws' on my Windows PC... SlingTV Blue you get 3 devices at the same time so I can share my account.
I THINK DirecTV says something about 2 simultaneous streams, but I don't recall if they support multiple profiles.

You may want to stay away from Youtube+Live TV, because Youtube is owned by Google. Though if I remember right, they work well, and let you set up many subaccounts, with separate profiles, at no extra charge - and you can make it so only one of them has financial control.

If you worry a lot about letting Google inside in Your Precious PC, buy a used PC that you dedicate to TV. If it has a Core 2 Duo CPU, or an I3, or above, and at least 4G memory, it can probably handle video. At a used computer store, it might cost $100 - $150, or less if you get a desktop. Incidentally, if you are worried about the "Google Demon" - did you know they drive through neighborhoods for Google StreetView, and I think they also scan for wireless routers and test routing, to help identify router locations? Google owns you.

But I admit that I use multiple browsers on my main PC instead - including Chrome. When Internet streaming is slow or erratic, I use a cheap Roku.

I think Playstation Vue lets you set up 10 different profiles.

The thing is, for all these services, sharing is only allowed within a "household". If any user (as identified by their devices, which can be detected remotely) never or hardly ever uses it from your address - and routing can be used to estimate your location - they might figure out you are cheating them, and retroactively charge you for multiple accounts. Also, except for Youtube+Live TV, I think you have to trust all the users not to charge extra things to you.

Last edited by MRG1; 08-06-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #57 of 118 Old 08-07-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I THINK DirecTV says something about 2 simultaneous streams, but I don't recall if they support multiple profiles.

You may want to stay away from Youtube+Live TV, because Youtube is owned by Google. Though if I remember right, they work well, and let you set up many subaccounts, with separate profiles, at no extra charge - and you can make it so only one of them has financial control.

If you worry a lot about letting Google inside in Your Precious PC, buy a used PC that you dedicate to TV. If it has a Core 2 Duo CPU, or an I3, or above, and at least 4G memory, it can probably handle video. At a used computer store, it might cost $100 - $150, or less if you get a desktop. Incidentally, if you are worried about the "Google Demon" - did you know they drive through neighborhoods for Google StreetView, and I think they also scan for wireless routers and test routing, to help identify router locations? Google owns you.

But I admit that I use multiple browsers on my main PC instead - including Chrome. When Internet streaming is slow or erratic, I use a cheap Roku.

I think Playstation Vue lets you set up 10 different profiles.

The thing is, for all these services, sharing is only allowed within a "household". If any user (as identified by their devices, which can be detected remotely) never or hardly ever uses it from your address - and routing can be used to estimate your location - they might figure out you are cheating them, and retroactively charge you for multiple accounts. Also, except for Youtube+Live TV, I think you have to trust all the users not to charge extra things to you.
Ooorr, I could just stay with Sling on an Android TV interface with an antenna for locals for now and forgo BTN and Discovery until a DirectTVNow app is available for Android TV.
post #58 of 118 Old 08-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ooorr, I could just stay with Sling on an Android TV interface with an antenna for locals for now and forgo BTN and Discovery until a DirectTVNow app is available for Android TV.
Or, if you really care that much about privacy on your computers, then take the next step. Doesn't matter what streaming tv service you look at, you should be looking at Firewalls, Proxy's, VPN's, and other security measures. With a VPN, you can use Youtube TV easily. They don't use your billing address, they use your IP address. So, even though google owns youtube, a vpn can route you to a different location and it can keep your pc mostly private.

Michael

post #59 of 118 Old 08-08-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I TH

You are wrong - at least YTTV allows three streams AND you can use them (at least two of them) in two different locations at the same time. YTTV is our only service in Oakland, and my wife uses it at the same time in Miami. We have done this numerous times since we subscribed a year ago. It will record any programs you have set up when you were in your home area on your local channels. When in Miami, we get the local Miami channels along with all the other "cable" channels.
post #60 of 118 Old 08-08-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
You are wrong - at least YTTV allows three streams AND you can use them (at least two of them) in two different locations at the same time. YTTV is our only service in Oakland, and my wife uses it at the same time in Miami. We have done this numerous times since we subscribed a year ago. It will record any programs you have set up when you were in your home area on your local channels. When in Miami, we get the local Miami channels along with all the other "cable" channels.
From https://tv.youtube.com/welcome

Quote:
down arrow - expand FAQ
your YouTube TV membership comes with 6 accounts to share with roommates or family members in your household. (Ages 13 and up.) Everyone gets their own login and personal DVR library. Up to 3 simultaneous streams are allowed per membership.
One question is how they determine that you are a household. I would guess that if any account is used all the time far away from your listed home addresses, they could notice, investigate, and attempt to retroactively charge you for such sharing, for as long as you have had that account.

Also, if you use the SAME account simultaneously (the stated is that each person will have a separate account), that might be a clue that you were cheating.

Will they ever do these things? I have no idea.

I suppose you could get clever, and occasionally use every account from the home address, being careful that it isn't used twice at different locations that are too far away for reasonable travel time.

But remember - if you watch through a cell phone, and don't block the camera, or let your voice be heard through a microphone, or make a phone call, they can identify you that way. If you type on a keyboard - typing rhythms are individual characteristics too. So are a number of other things. So they might realize you were using both accounts.

What it boils down to is that if you cheat, or even look like you might be cheating, they could try to do something. Is that paranoia? Of course it is, but occasionally paranoia is right. These companies know that account sharing is a big potential income loss, and from an economic perspective, they SHOULD be doing things to prevent it.

They probably assume some illicit sharing will occur, and charge accordingly. I wish they would instead charge less for watching tied to a single specific device, so I could get a discount as an honest sole user.

I have thought about advertising for co-sharers through craigslist, to share costs, or wherever - but that would be a really, really obvious sign of intention to cheat.

It was so much simpler when most TV was advertiser-paid, or guilt-paid (i.e., contributions solicited, by religious organizations and PBS affiliates). Then all watching was completely legit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page