Sling TV the Good and the BAD - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 102 Old 08-08-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
From https://tv.youtube.com/welcome

One question is how they determine that you are a household. I would guess that if any account is used all the time far away from your listed home addresses, they could notice, investigate, and attempt to retroactively charge you for such sharing, for as long as you have had that account.

Also, if you use the SAME account simultaneously (the stated is that each person will have a separate account), that might be a clue that you were cheating.

Will they ever do these things? I have no idea.

I suppose you could get clever, and occasionally use every account from the home address, being careful that it isn't used twice at different locations that are too far away for reasonable travel time.

What it boils down to is that if you cheat, or even look like you might be cheating, they could try to do something. Is that paranoia? Of course it is, but occasionally paranoia is right. These companies know that account sharing is a big potential income loss, and from an economic perspective, they SHOULD be doing things to prevent it.

It was so much simpler when most TV was advertiser-paid, or guilt-paid (i.e., contributions solicited, by religious organizations and PBS affiliates). Then all watching was completely legit.
We only have one account. Normally, we both are usually in the same location at the same time. They do say, if you are not in your home location for more than 90 days, you will need to reregister (change) your “home” location.
There probably would not be 20 hours a year where the service is used in separate locations at the same time. In fact, I can see that is a fairly common use. Wife is out of town on business and uses the service, and the husband is at home and uses the service. I don’t see how that would be different than my wife at home watching the news, while I’m at home watching a baseball game.
MRG1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Until streaming tv becomes more mainstream, there will always be a compromise. First compromise is that NONE of the services have ALL of the channels you can get on cable or satellite. And no matter what you think is all you want or need, there will always be one channel you wish you could get.

Sling, I can’t get the fox channels, or the others they own like nat geo. Directv, I can’t get locals at all. I can only get on demand abc and nbc. Fox is partially available on a separate app. YouTube isn’t available at all in my town, and if I lied and used my parent’s or in-laws address, I could do it, but they are missing the discovery channel series and some others. Vue is a close second to Directv, but it doesn’t have the history channel and some others. Hulu is missing a lot. For streaming tv comparison of channels, directvNow is the standard to compare the others to.

The other compromise are features. Some, like directvNow has the best picture quality, but dvr and customer service is in the toilet. Sling is pretty good is this regard, but god help you if you want ALL their channels. You’ll pay as much as cable and Directv satellite, with lower quality and number of channels.

The list goes one. Sling is good, but what a person has to do is determine their #1 priority. And determine how important that priority is. If the most channels available is what’s important, then directvNow is going to win every time. But if other things like dvr, live customer support (which if things are working right, you shouldn’t need), price, etc. are more important, then the others can be an option.

Obviously, AT&T has the most money. They have the best contracts. That’s why they can offer hbo for $5 compared to everyone else at $15. If they get their channel guide, dvr, and customer service straightened out, they can be the total package for cutting the cord. But for now, there is still a niche market for sling, vue, Hulu, YouTube, Philo, and fubo.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

post #63 of 102 Old 08-11-2018, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
Obviously, AT&T has the most money. They have the best contracts. That’s why they can offer hbo for $5 compared to everyone else at $15. If they get their channel guide, dvr, and customer service straightened out, they can be the total package for cutting the cord. But for now, there is still a niche market for sling, vue, Hulu, YouTube, Philo, and fubo.
AFAIK, within the U.S., the Comcast/XFinity/Universal/Hulu/NBC/etc. consortium has the most money, and that company owns a huge part of the TV content provider, broadcast & Internet worlds. But for the moment, although Hulu is good for some things, they apparently feel it isn't in their best interest to offer a full featured on demand service like Sling, DirecTV Now, Playstation Vue, or Hulu+Live TV, or Youtube TV to the general public. Unfortunately, if you don't subscribe to XFinity Internet service, Xfinity Instant TV isn't available, and is in any event quite limited. They are still trying to drive people to pay the cost of XFinity TV and Internet service, whereas AT&T is willing to sell reasonably full featured packages to people who don't subscribe to AT&T Internet or phone service.

OTOH, most of my programs are on Sling Blue, which is cheaper. I looked at some of the even cheaper offerings, like Philo, but they don't have a lot of what I watch. I also considered just buying series individually, through whichever service sells the program cheapest (which varies, series to series), and concluded that was too much work, and may not always be worth it.

BTW, from an economic perspective, it clearly makes the most sense to switch subscriptions continually between services, and binge watch on demand each program you like that the service you are currently subscribed to offers, with a few weeks in between, during which you only watch freely available content. E.g., I will mostly use Sling Blue, but will occasionally switch to DirecTV Now and very occasionally to CBS All Access, as well as watching free on demand services from various networks and such, and maybe occasionally switch to Hulu or Netflix. (Of course, at first, it also makes sense to try all the major provider free trials, and/or to obtain one or more streaming boxes at introductory rates.) Plus, if you can put up an antenna where you live (I can't), record and watch OTA programs.

To me, it simply doesn't make sense to stay long-term with any one provider at this time. Switching is a pain, but is currently best. However, if I could put up a satellite antenna, I would pick Dish or DirecTV, with a hardware DVR that can skip ads.

Last edited by MRG1; 08-11-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 102 Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not one for wanting to switch providers every couple months or so. But as I mentioned in another thread, if for some reason you don't like DirectvNow, but like their channel selection, you can practically duplicate it, for about the same price, if you combine services. Hulu TV + Philo; or Vue + Philo will give you pretty much what DirectvNow gives for channels. It might be a pain to have 2 services that you bounce between, but if for some reason DirectvNow doesn't satisfy you, there are options.

For me, I've determined that Sling is fine if you want the very most basic of tv watching, and you supplement with netflix, hulu, prime, pluto, etc. But if you had, and want a replacement for expanded/large cable or satellite plans, than Sling is not the best choice. To get the equivalent with sling that I got with satellite, I wouldn't be saving much at all. I'd be around $120-$125 a month with sling. I've negotiated deals with directv satellite for my complete package for around that price. But if you're not too much into the prime channels like hbo, max, showtime, starz, then sling $40 is comparable to the other providers for a basic plan.
MRG1 likes this.

Michael

post #65 of 102 Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
if for some reason you don't like DirectvNow, but like their channel selection, you can practically duplicate it, for about the same price, if you combine services. Hulu TV + Philo; or Vue + Philo will give you pretty much what DirectvNow gives for channels.
We are in different economic and channel expectation universes. The lowest level DTVN service ($40/month) has, at my location, all the channels I currently watch programs on (CBS, SyFy, TVLand), except CW (which is free on its own website, though it has a lot of ads), and also has channels I have recently watched and/or plan to watch in the foreseeable future (ABC, AMC, BBC America, Fox, Freeform, NBC, Sundance), so combining services would be more expensive - for me.

(Nonetheless, that is $10/month more than Sling Blue+DVR service, which has ALMOST everything I want. Plus Sling is more reliable.)

But, each to his/her own.

Last edited by MRG1; 08-16-2018 at 07:48 PM.
post #66 of 102 Old 08-17-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Is there any way to sort Channels in the guide alphabetically?
post #67 of 102 Old 08-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We are in different economic and channel expectation universes. The lowest level DTVN service ($40/month) has, at my location, all the channels I currently watch programs on (CBS, SyFy, TVLand), except CW (which is free on its own website, though it has a lot of ads), and also has channels I have recently watched and/or plan to watch in the foreseeable future (ABC, AMC, BBC America, Fox, Freeform, NBC, Sundance), so combining services would be more expensive - for me.

(Nonetheless, that is $10/month more than Sling Blue+DVR service, which has ALMOST everything I want. Plus Sling is more reliable.)

But, each to his/her own.
It's not a "To each their own" things. I already mentioned a number of times, that Sling is the perfect solution for someone; like yourself; who is looking for a "Basic Cable" replacement. You're doing just fine. That's what Sling is for and good at.

For the person who wants the "Expanded Cable/Satellite" replacement; including premium channels; Sling is not the answer. Example: DirectvNow, largest package, with HBO, Max, Showtime, and Starz is $91-$93. Depending on HOW you bundle it. Sling, to get ALL the same channels, is OVER $120. For that price, you might as well stay with cable or satellite.

Sling is definitely a good service. It's just not an extensive replacement for Cable and Satellite. But, when people look at and realize what you can do by COMBINING more than one service, your options and choices go up tremendously. But for the "Basic Cable" person, Sling is fine.

Michael

post #68 of 102 Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Depending on HOW you bundle it. Sling, to get ALL the same channels, is OVER $120.
Of course, who watches "All the same channels" as cable or satellite? I would guess that most people only watch programs on a few. I think it makes sense to look at the list of programs YOU watch, and figure out the cheapest way to get them, including the possibility of buying individual program subscriptions through Amazon, iTunes, Vudu, Google Play, etc. Honestly, the movie channels like HBO mostly don't provide anything that interests me that I can't get through Redbox, or maybe a video rental store. Maybe because I've already seen the old stuff that interested me - and frankly, most movies aren't very well made or interesting to me.

Many of the major IPTV providers are independents - they are all also associated with Cable, Satellite, and/or with major content providers. (E.g., Sling comes from Dish, DirecTV Now Comes from DirecTV, and Comcast/Universal/NBC/Hulu/etc. is one of the biggest content providers and content distributors in the world). Thus, they are not strongly motivated to underprice themselves in every possible respect.

That said, at least in the case of Comcast (which now mostly calls its TV and Internet services XFinity), over a period of several years, they increased our costs from about $40/month to $250/month (with Internet and 3 DVR boxes, but still...). They usually start off reasonable, then start creeping upwards. In fact, they don't offer neighbors the same deals - from what I've been able to figure out, they try to figure out how much you can pay, and charge that. Though sometimes you can bargain with them over the phone. I'd heard similar things about Verizon. None of the IPTV providers that I know of are anywhere near that cost. Nor are they creeping upwards in price quite as fast as Cable and Phone companies do.

I LIKE it that the several major IPTV providers are competing with each other. I hope it will slow down the rate at which prices will go up. Unless, of course, they keep buying each other out to kill the competition.

But it remains to be seen how the IPTV market will develop. I think they are in a fairly early stage of development.

BTW, I did used to find Comcast/XFinity cable extremely convenient. I would just look through the guide, and schedule my DVR to watch what interested me. None of the IPTV providers I've looked at have as well organized or reliable a system, partly because they are so slow and their websites keep crashing. Comcast/XFinity also offered a great on-demand streaming system, which worked extremely well. Not sure about now, but if money were no object, I would probably go with them. (However, that is based on our experience of several years ago.)
post #69 of 102 Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Me personally, I wanted as many channels I could get that were similar to my Directv satellite. The directvNow go big, with hbo and Starz added, is what I’m looking for. This also gives me all the apps associated with what I’m getting in directvNow for on demand and to catch up on something I missed. (I don’t do DVR). So, directvNow with what I get, is $78 a month. Depending on customer retention bribes, that averages anywhere between $50 and $100 a month savings. For me, that’s significant.

For some others, they want the basic cable experience. And for that, slingtv definitely is better than directvNow. Philo is also another excellent choice in the $16-$20 per month price range. It’s all depending on what you want. My point was, sling is excellent, as long as you’re not trying to replace expanded cable or satellite. It would cost a lot more than the others, and almost as much as you’re paying currently for cable or satellite.
MRG1 likes this.

Michael

post #70 of 102 Old 08-19-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Me personally, I wanted as many channels I could get that were similar to my Directv satellite. The directvNow go big, with hbo and Starz added, is what I’m looking for. This also gives me all the apps associated with what I’m getting in directvNow for on demand and to catch up on something I missed. (I don’t do DVR). So, directvNow with what I get, is $78 a month. Depending on customer retention bribes, that averages anywhere between $50 and $100 a month savings. For me, that’s significant.

For some others, they want the basic cable experience. And for that, slingtv definitely is better than directvNow. Philo is also another excellent choice in the $16-$20 per month price range. It’s all depending on what you want. My point was, sling is excellent, as long as you’re not trying to replace expanded cable or satellite. It would cost a lot more than the others, and almost as much as you’re paying currently for cable or satellite.
I'm not sure if I have this right, because the rules are extremely complicated legalese, and keep changing, but I think Satellite TV is allowed to retransmit distant broadcast channels without paying a retransmission fee, or making a special deal with broadcasters. I don't think cable or OTT streaming providers can do that. So in principle, a satellite service could be cheaper - except that the satellites themselves cost a fair bit of money to build, launch and run.

According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multic..._United_States

DirecTV (satellite) is almost as big as Comcast, and much bigger than anyone else, especially the OTT streaming services. So they must be doing something right.
post #71 of 102 Old 08-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if I have this right, because the rules are extremely complicated legalese, and keep changing, but I think Satellite TV is allowed to retransmit distant broadcast channels without paying a retransmission fee, or making a special deal with broadcasters. I don't think cable or OTT streaming providers can do that. So in principle, a satellite service could be cheaper - except that the satellites themselves cost a fair bit of money to build, launch and run.

According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multic..._United_States

DirecTV (satellite) is almost as big as Comcast, and much bigger than anyone else, especially the OTT streaming services. So they must be doing something right.
Well, all I know, is that for their largest package; including hbo, max, showtime, and starz, it's costing me about $175 a month. Most times, I could talk them into a discount by threatening to cancel. So I'd normally pay between $125 and $145. I also couldn't get Local Channels; but they were able to give me new york and Los Angeles ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX. With directvNow, I realized i didn't need Max or Showtime, but I basically get everything else I had with Directv Satellite, and it's only costing me $78 a month. Of course, Satellite misleads by saying how many channels they have, but a large chunk of them are MUSIC channels; which I have absolutely no need of. Also, most of their channels have an EAST and WEST feed; which while convenient if you missed something, counted towards their misleading channels.

I looked into Sling, but they just didn't have the number of channels I wanted without going much more expensive. But if I wanted basic cable, sling definitely would have been a good choice.

Michael

post #72 of 102 Old 11-12-2018, 09:40 PM

Walmart and others offer a number of Roku devices that come with a "$35 Credit towards Sling TV".

Does anyone know if you have to be a "new" subscriber to Sling to qualify?

I'm thinking about getting a Roku Ultra to replace my Roku Express, because I want to be able to search using a keyboard - which Roku's description says is possible on the Roku Ultra, and because I prefer Ethernet to WiFi.

I contacted Sling about their own deal - that if you sign up for 3 months of Sling, you can buy a discounted Roku Ultra. But Roku says they only offer one streaming device bundle / customer / lifetime, so I'm ineligible, even though I haven't been subscribed to Sling for about a year - I've been using other services. But If I bought an Ultra, it would be worth returning to Sling if I could get this deal.

It strikes me that it is possible that Walmart is only re-marketing a Sling-sponsored deal, which would mean it would only apply to people who are "new" Sling subscribers - i.e., not me.

So, anyone know?
post #73 of 102 Old 12-16-2018, 10:01 PM

What an interesting discovery: On some streaming platforms on some channels Sling won't let me fast-forward or rewind through the ads. On other streaming platforms I can. I've decided to use the devices that I can do that on those channels.

(Also, though this has nothing to do with Sling, Firefox lets me display CW channel full screen, but Chrome doesn't. Not only that, but if I put a Chrome window displaying CW in the background, the ad pauses, and waits for me to put it back in the foreground. Meanies. So much for Chrome.)
post #74 of 102 Old 12-17-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
What an interesting discovery: On some streaming platforms on some channels Sling won't let me fast-forward or rewind through the ads. On other streaming platforms I can. I've decided to use the devices that I can do that on those channels.

(Also, though this has nothing to do with Sling, Firefox lets me display CW channel full screen, but Chrome doesn't. Not only that, but if I put a Chrome window displaying CW in the background, the ad pauses, and waits for me to put it back in the foreground. Meanies. So much for Chrome.)

I also found that even if you can fast-forward ads on a channel, if you try to go too far it will stop and force ads for a few minutes than allow it again.
post #75 of 102 Old 12-17-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I also found that even if you can fast-forward ads on a channel, if you try to go too far it will stop and force ads for a few minutes than allow it again.
You can skip through the networks ads but the ones Sling drops in you can't most of the time. If you have recorded the show on Roku you can skip through anything. It's only the live, and channels that let you go back to previous programs/days and some of the VOD does the ad skipping limitations apply.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #76 of 102 Old 12-17-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
You can skip through the networks ads but the ones Sling drops in you can't most of the time. If you have recorded the show on Roku you can skip through anything. It's only the live, and channels that let you go back to previous programs/days and some of the VOD does the ad skipping limitations apply.
I was thinking of VOD available from CW's own website, not from Sling, which, at least in my case, doesn't include CW. On the Roku I can skip through the ads, from their own website, except for one short ad at the start of each show. Not only that, but the interface is rather nice - as I am skipping, it shows me images of what I am skipping through.

I hope I haven't spoiled this very nice feature by posting this!

In contrast, if I watch VOD from their website through a PC based browser, I can't skip through the ads, or for that matter, through the program.

(I may also check whether my other streaming platforms and browsers ever handle ad skipping better, on any channels.)

This kind of distinction makes no sense to me at all. If a content provider wants you to watch ads, you would think they would implement the same ad-skipping policy across all platforms. Ads pay the piper, so if I were truly "good", I would gladly and cheerfully embrace them. Is it entirely evil to avoid them if I easily can?
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by MRG1; 12-17-2018 at 09:12 PM.
post #77 of 102 Old 12-17-2018, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking of VOD available from CW's own website, not from Sling, which, at least in my case, doesn't include CW. On the Roku I can skip through the ads, from their own website, except for one short ad at the start of each show. Not only that, but the interface is rather nice - as I am skipping, it shows me images of what I am skipping through.

I hope I haven't spoiled this very nice feature by posting this!

In contrast, if I watch VOD from their website through a PC based browser, I can't skip through the ads, or for that matter, through the program.

(I may also check whether my other streaming platforms and browsers ever handle ad skipping better, on any channels.)

This kind of distinction makes no sense to me at all. If a content provider wants you to watch ads, you would think they would implement the same ad-skipping policy across all platforms. Ads pay the piper, so if I were truly "good", I would gladly and cheerfully embrace them. Is it entirely evil to avoid them if I easily can?
That's a lot of platforms, for a free site that's expensive, in time ad skipping probably won't be allowed on all platforms but it could take awhile.

post #78 of 102 Old 12-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Sling has really improved its PQ, now I'd say it's one of the best out there. I'd admit I've always bashed Sling, but for the money it can't be beat.
post #79 of 102 Old 12-22-2018, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I don't fully understand Sling's relationship with local channels. When I first signed up, I didn't expect any local channels, because I understood Sling to be a "fill-in" service for folks who were switching from cable/satellite to OTA (antenna) television, but wanted to keep the most popular cable/satellite-only channels such as ESPN.

ESPN itself wasn't a biggie for me, so when I signed up, I went the other direction with the Sling Blue lineup - it had more of the "cable" channels my wife & I wanted. But once I activated the service, I discovered four of my local channels - the local Fox, NBC, Univision, y Unimas affiliates - on my lineup along with those "cable" channels.

Even weirder, when I signed onto my Sling account from out of town, I got the affiliates of the same networks from that market instead of my "home" market! Apparently Sling geolocates your market based on the IP address you're using and provides the network affiliates from that market. If you use a VPN, Sling might give you some very strange "local" stations - or they may recognize the VPN's IP address as such, and just fall back to your home market.

I think they were there because Fox and NBC Universal sell their offerings as a package - if Sling wants anything, they get everything - so we consumers get a small bonus of a few local stations. (But oddly, NBC-owned Telemundo wasn't included, so I still don't have it completely figured out.) I think ABC/Disney/ESPN do the same thing on Sling Orange, so if I'd gone that route, I probably would've seen my local ABC affiliate in my lineup.
Yes, when you sign in out of town, you get the locals from that town in most cases. For example, it has NBC and Fox from Philly, and if I take my device and connect in Dallas, I get NBC and Fox out of there. However, in some markets, there is no coverage. If I go to Baltimore, the local NBC and Fox do not appear, although I wonder what happens with recorded local shows if I use the $5/mo cloud DVR service and then watch the recorded local news out of market.

I have to try Sling on VPN.

Now, what is interesting is using AirTV with Sling. AirTV allows one stream out of home and it doesn't geolocate restrict! So, you can really fly across the country and continue watching your local stations.

I was looking at YouTube's $40 package and it has locals including FOX, NBC ABC and CBS, sports channels (ESPN, NBA TV) and channels like Turner Classic Movies. It is missing the Viacom networks but YouTube's price point and inclusion of the most expensive channels, cloud DVR included, makes me wonder how they make money at that price. (According to reports, they don't). I've heard people doing YouTube TV and Philo together - the latter for the missing channels not on YouTubeTV.

But I have yet to try YouTubeTV, but like that it has a lot of Starz/Encore channels, more than Sling actually. I don't care for sports on TV, so I'm fine with Sling Blue $25/mo, and adding Hollywood Extra $5, Epix $5 and Starz! and Showtime. Sling has HDNet and a few other channels not on YouTubeTV.

I did try Philo and I think the app is more sophisticated on Roku than Sling's app, but I think the channel selection is too limited. I wish there were more choices.

Last edited by ravi132; 12-22-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #80 of 102 Old 12-22-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked: 1301
Quote:
Obviously, AT&T has the most money. They have the best contracts. That’s why they can offer hbo for $5 compared to everyone else at $15.
I think the reason is far simpler. AT&T owns HBO. (Actually they own Time-Warner, which owns HBO.)
Quote:
AT&T owns DirecTV too.

There are basically five companies that own pretty much all US television networks. Comcast/AT&T also happen to be/own major ISPs and TV program distributors:

1. Comcast/NBC Universal (Telemundo)
  2. ABC/Disney (ESPN)
  3. AT&T/DirecTV/Time-Warner (HBO, Cinemax)
  4. I think Viacom still owns CBS (& Showtime)
  5. And of course, News Corp. (Fox)
beerhunt likes this.
post #81 of 102 Old 12-22-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi132 View Post
Now, what is interesting is using AirTV with Sling. AirTV allows one stream out of home and it doesn't geolocate restrict! So, you can really fly across the country and continue watching your local stations.
Yes, AirTV changes how local channels work. It's basically a pair of TV tuners with a built-in Slingbox (a DVR too, if you add storage), so you're watching your own home-town TV stations (live or recorded) with your own antenna. When watching local channels with an AirTV, the Sling service merely relays the stream from your home to wherever you're signed in.

My understanding is, you can watch any channel you want from anywhere, and Sling doesn't have to pay any retransmission fees, as long as you receive the broadcast using your own antenna. So with the AirTV, you always get your home-town NBC and Fox affiliates (and everything else your antenna picks up) instead of the ones where you happen to be at the moment.
post #82 of 102 Old 12-22-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yes, AirTV changes how local channels work. It's basically a pair of TV tuners with a built-in Slingbox (a DVR too, if you add storage), so you're watching your own home-town TV stations (live or recorded) with your own antenna. When watching local channels with an AirTV, the Sling service merely relays the stream from your home to wherever you're signed in.

My understanding is, you can watch any channel you want from anywhere, and Sling doesn't have to pay any retransmission fees, as long as you receive the broadcast using your own antenna. So with the AirTV, you always get your home-town NBC and Fox affiliates (and everything else your antenna picks up) instead of the ones where you happen to be at the moment.
That's correct. The limitation is only one stream is permitted away from home from what AirTV's customer service said. My friend is able to watch different NFL games from his local market using my account (in a different market). I have to add that AirTV has excellent customer service. Anytime I call, I get answered relatively quickly from someone in the US.

In general, with these Over the Air solutions, one really needs an outside antenna mounted to get all the stations reliably. The good thing with AirTV and even Amazon's new Fire TV Recast is that the connection to the main device box can be in one place of the house where it's not necessarily the living room. TiVo Roamio however didn't work that way. The over the air connection needed to plug directly into the TiVo, which one would most likely put in his/her living room. From what I read about Amazon's Fire TV Recast, it doesn't allow out of home network viewing. It must be all within the house where the network is location, where AirTV allows one stream outside of home.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by ravi132; 12-22-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #83 of 102 Old 12-24-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I did try Philo and I think the app is more sophisticated on Roku than Sling's app, but I think the channel selection is too limited. I wish there were more choices.
There are lots of other packages available -To avoid violating board rules, I will send you a link to a list in a private message. But what they all have in common is that you can't buy each conglomerate's channels separately which is what some of us would like- you get channels from most of the major conglomerates.
post #84 of 102 Old 12-26-2018, 07:07 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8773 Post(s)
Liked: 5548
Quote:
Yes, when you sign in out of town, you get the locals from that town in most cases. For example, it has NBC and Fox from Philly, and if I take my device and connect in Dallas, I get NBC and Fox out of there. However, in some markets, there is no coverage. If I go to Baltimore, the local NBC and Fox do not appear, although I wonder what happens with recorded local shows if I use the $5/mo cloud DVR service and then watch the recorded local news out of market.

I have to try Sling on VPN.

I was looking at YouTube's $40 package and it has locals including FOX, NBC ABC and CBS, sports channels (ESPN, NBA TV) and channels like Turner Classic Movies. It is missing the Viacom networks but YouTube's price point and inclusion of the most expensive channels, cloud DVR included, makes me wonder how they make money at that price. (According to reports, they don't). I've heard people doing YouTube TV and Philo together - the latter for the missing channels not on YouTubeTV.

But I have yet to try YouTubeTV, but like that it has a lot of Starz/Encore channels, more than Sling actually. I don't care for sports on TV, so I'm fine with Sling Blue $25/mo, and adding Hollywood Extra $5, Epix $5 and Starz! and Showtime. Sling has HDNet and a few other channels not on YouTubeTV.

I recently tried Philo, Hulu TV, Youtube TV and SLing TV Blue.
I was looking for a service that had the DIscovery cHannel and locals.
But in the end I really needed to just use a combination of streaming and my FIoS and OTA recordings.
Because Philo really sucked. That was the worst and had the worst interface. Not to mention commericals. Youtube worked well but for some of the network content you had to see commercials. Like from Fox and the CW in my area. Hulu seemed the best but it would have cost me over $60 for what I needed.

So I settled for Sling TV Blue. Which gets me NBC and Fox in my area with the ability to not watch commercials. Then I will watch ABC content from either my FIOS and OTA reocrdings or my Hulu subscription. And watch CBS from either my CBS All access subscription or FIOS and OTA.

Last week I dropped my FiOS Ultimate HD tier down to the Custom TV package. And decided to go the streaming route. Because the local OTA quality in the DC area has become terrible. As well as the FiOS video quality. I would have liked to have a service that gave me everything I wanted. And not have to watch commercials, but I just didn't see. The closest thing I saw to what I wanted was Hulu TV, but the price was over $60. Way more than I wanted to pay.

I've been happy with Sling Blue for the last week. That combined with the Custom TV package from FiOS and OTA gives me what I need. And then I can subscribe to HBO, Starz, CBS All Access etc. as I need when the shows I watch are on.

I do wish SLing TV had 100 hours for their DVR instead of 50. That was one thing that was nice about Youtube TV. It had unlimited DVR storage and you could keep the recordings for nine months.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-26-2018 at 07:11 PM.
post #85 of 102 Old 12-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I recently tried Philo, Hulu TV, Youtube TV and SLing TV Blue.
I was looking for a service that had the DIscovery cHannel and locals.
But in the end I really needed to just use a combination of streaming and my FIoS and OTA recordings.
Because Philo really sucked. That was the worst and had the worst interface. Not to mention commericals. Youtube worked well but for some of the network content you had to see commercials. Like from Fox and the CW in my area. Hulu seemed the best but it would have cost me over $60 for what I needed.

So I settled for Sling TV Blue. Which gets me NBC and Fox in my area with the ability to not watch commercials. Then I will watch ABC content from either my FIOS and OTA reocrdings or my Hulu subscription. And watch CBS from either my CBS All access subscription or FIOS and OTA.

Last week I dropped my FiOS Ultimate HD tier down to the Custom TV package. And decided to go the streaming route. Because the local OTA quality in the DC area has become terrible. As well as the FiOS video quality. I would have liked to have a service that gave me everything I wanted. And not have to watch commercials, but I just didn't see. The closest thing I saw to what I wanted was Hulu TV, but the price was over $60. Way more than I wanted to pay.

I've been happy with Sling Blue for the last week. That combined with the Custom TV package from FiOS and OTA gives me what I need. And then I can subscribe to HBO, Starz, CBS All Access etc. as I need when the shows I watch are on.

I do wish SLing TV had 100 hours for their DVR instead of 50. That was one thing that was nice about Youtube TV. It had unlimited DVR storage and you could keep the recordings for nine months.
Sling now has the Discovery channels, although I think Animal Planet is missing. I have Sling Blue as well and a few Extras, but I'm trying Philo as a trial and maybe one month afterwards. I also downloaded Pluto TV which is free.

What's the difference in the commercials (between Sling and Philo)? I think it is with Viacom's channels. For example, I'm watching 'Three's Company' on Logo, and have to see a skanky commercial for Lindsay Lohan's upcoming reality series on MTV. But it's probably still not as bad as Antenna TV's commercials (Cash Net USA is one of the most annoying ones) but at least Antenna TV is free, a subchannel from one of my local stations.
post #86 of 102 Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I tried Sling today and found the video quality to be behind DTV Now and YTTV that I tried last week. Why is that?

Jack
post #87 of 102 Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I tried Sling today and found the video quality to be behind DTV Now and YTTV that I tried last week. Why is that?
720p Direct TV Now can do 1080p. Every bit helps.

post #88 of 102 Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
720p Direct TV Now can do 1080p. Every bit helps.
Thanks for the confirmation. As I recall, YTTV was as good as DTV Now. Puzzling. Why would one stay with Sling with such a major deficiency?

Jack
post #89 of 102 Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 8773 Post(s)
Liked: 5548
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. As I recall, YTTV was as good as DTV Now. Puzzling. Why would one stay with Sling with such a major deficiency?
The DVR is a major factor. Price could be too. Either way both have better quality than FiOS or Comcast in my area has.

For me, a streaming service without a decent a amount of storage for their DVR is useless. The bare minimum I needed was 50 hours. And then if I'm going to solely rely on the streaming service for content. Instead of other services like Hulu or direct purchasing, then 100 hours of DVR storage would be the minimum. SInce I need to avoid commercials.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 02-11-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #90 of 102 Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Because it's advantages (for me) outweigh it's deficiencies:

DTV Now doesn't have an Android TV app, and YTTV includes local networks that I use an antenna for and don't want to pay for as part of my streaming package. Also I use an AirTV player with a USB tuner on my other TV that integrates the OTA guide and Sling guide into the same grid. It uses Android TV OS and allows free DVR for OTA on a USB storage device.

Does that complete your puzzle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page