Sling TV the Good and the BAD - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #121 of 137 Old 12-24-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3675
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
The changes I see: (If there are others catch me up.)

$30 instead of $25
Fox News on Sling Blue (Big whoop)
10 hours of free DVR.

Still a good deal. If we weren't tied to Dish TV I would (re-) sign up. 10 hours is enough for me. You can easily switch back and forth between Orange and Blue, so sports fans like myself can Get ESPN on Orange when needed and get more variety on Blue when it's not.
At $30 Sling is still a bargain compared to other similar services IF you can get locals via antenna and have some way to DVR them (I have a DVR+).
The only thing you can’t get on Sling that some people would want would are the Fox regional sports networks ( soon to be owned by Sinclair) as of now Dish/Sling and Disney can’t come to an agreement. If your local RSN is a NBC one you should find it’s available. Recently some former Fox now Disney channels have become available. Also there is no time limit on keeping recordings as long there is room left for recordings.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 Old 12-29-2019, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
After watching the Disney+ app with great sounding DD+ 5.1 I have to question why can’t Sling do the same thing? I watched the CFP last night on ESPN, 2.0 stereo sound, disappointing. Forget adding useless channels and take the $5/month price increase and add DD+!

I love this HD stuff!
post #123 of 137 Old 12-29-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Sling moved Nat Geo wild to Heartland and FXX to Hollywood. With the $ 5 increase, it's now $40 compared to $25. See ya Sling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 137 Old 12-29-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Sling moved Nat Geo wild to Heartland and FXX to Hollywood. With the $ 5 increase, it's now $40 compared to $25. See ya Sling
If they had kept Nat Geo Wild and FXX in Sling Blue, would the price have gone higher?
My guess is that Sling thought these channels didn't have that many watchers, and a price hike could be minimized.
foghorn2 likes this.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #125 of 137 Old 12-31-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a weird problem with Sling TV, hoping someone can help. I have Sling installed on 4 Apple TV's. The problem exists on only one of the Apple TV's. The problem is that quite frequently when I turn it on (on that one Apple TV) it has forgotten my credentials. I have tried doing a software reset on the Apple TV, and also delete the cache files with the Sling TV App. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I have the Apple TV connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A2060 receiver, and the Samsung 4K TV is also connected to the receiver via HDMI.
post #126 of 137 Old 01-02-2020, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidrj View Post
I have a weird problem with Sling TV, hoping someone can help. I have Sling installed on 4 Apple TV's. The problem exists on only one of the Apple TV's. The problem is that quite frequently when I turn it on (on that one Apple TV) it has forgotten my credentials. I have tried doing a software reset on the Apple TV, and also delete the cache files with the Sling TV App. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I have the Apple TV connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A2060 receiver, and the Samsung 4K TV is also connected to the receiver via HDMI.
Been looking into Sling as a backup to FuboTV that I now am using: Here's what I saw in the fine print:

If you subscribe to our Sling Orange service, you can enjoy one stream at a time. Any extras you add to your Sling Orange service will be included in your single stream. If you subscribe to our Sling Blue service, you can enjoy up to three streams of these channels at the same time. Any extras you add to your Sling Blue service will be included in your three streams. If you subscribe to both services in Sling Orange + Sling Blue, you can enjoy up to four streams at the same time. Because you are purchasing two separate services in Sling Orange + Sling Blue, you can get the total number of streams included on each separate service—one stream for any channel on the single-stream Sling Orange service and three streams for channels on the multi-stream Sling Blue service. To get up to four streams, go to the My Account page and make sure that the “show me only Sling Blue versions of channels in both services” box is not checked.

maybe that answers your problem.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1; JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, TIVO Edge OTA; Apple TV 4K. Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #127 of 137 Old 01-08-2020, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have had Sling for several years.,
I went back in Dec.17 2019. I had Blue wanted Orange it would not change as much as tried.
No longer a phone number with them.

1-8-2020

Can't change it no matter what i do.
It use to be easy to do. I looked at my past billing and i could see changes i would make going back to 2015.
Thanks for any help you might have.

MarkB49
post #128 of 137 Old 01-08-2020, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB64 View Post
I have had Sling for several years.,
I went back in Dec.17 2019. I had Blue wanted Orange it would not change as much as tried.
No longer a phone number with them.

1-8-2020

Can't change it no matter what i do.
It use to be easy to do. I looked at my past billing and i could see changes i would make going back to 2015.
Thanks for any help you might have.

MarkB49
What?
I dont get it.
post #129 of 137 Old 01-09-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sling TV: The Good And The Bad

I want to learn more about Sling TV before I make the switch. Are there any other forums or websites that people here would recommend that will help me learn more about it?
post #130 of 137 Old 01-09-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I want to learn more about Sling TV before I make the switch. Are there any other forums or websites that people here would recommend that will help me learn more about it?
This topic is good. Of course, Sling's web page will tell you if it offers channels that you want.
I personally think Sling is a good deal (even at the new price) IF you have access to local channels (through an antenna) and have a way to record OTA (if you have a desire to do that).
That being said, Sling (as well as many others) offers (at least) a 7 day free "test drive". Give it a spin and see if it meets your needs.
foghorn2 likes this.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #131 of 137 Old 01-18-2020, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I was thinking of coming back to Sling Blue, so I could watch The Magicians on SyFy, Doctor Who on BBC America, and Vikings on History.

But Sling Blue has gone up to $30/month, plus $5 extra for DVR. And they stopped carrying local broadcast networks a long time ago. (Where I live, OTA reception is terrible.)

That's comparable to what the local cable company charges to new customers - and their DVR service is better. It's simply too high.

I think it's time for me to drop watching those programs. Maybe they will eventually be available on Hulu or Netflix (the older episodes are), and I can sign up there for a month to binge watch. But for now, I just don't see spending that much for three TV shows. More will be available later in the season - but I think it's just time to kick the paid TV habbit.

Part of what has happened is that I find I like the freely available escapist SciFi/Fantasy programming from CW and NBC.

I'm just one person. But if prices keep going up, maybe more people will leave. Price matters.
post #132 of 137 Old 01-20-2020, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
I was thinking of coming back to Sling Blue, so I could watch The Magicians on SyFy, Doctor Who on BBC America, and Vikings on History.

But Sling Blue has gone up to $30/month, plus $5 extra for DVR....(Where I live, OTA reception is terrible.)

That's comparable to what the local cable company charges to new customers - and their DVR service is better. It's simply too high.... but I think it's just time to kick the paid TV habbit.

I'm just one person. But if prices keep going up, maybe more people will leave. Price matters.
If OTA reception in your area is terrible, are you going to give up TV entirely?
Cable/Satellite companies charge attractive prices to new customers...but then hike up their rates once the introductory period is over.
Sling now gives 10 hours of cloud DVR free. Not much, admittedly, but plenty if you are just timeshifting.
There are other streaming services that include local channels (YouTube TV looks likes the best). But they are more expensive.
Rising prices are fueling the cord-cutter movement.
Why is OTA reception terrible where you are? Would a good outdoor antenna and/or an amplifier help?
Another choice might be Philo. $20 a month and a better DVRthan Sling. No FX but they do have BBC America and the History channel.
MRG1 likes this.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #133 of 137 Old 01-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Cable/Satellite companies charge attractive prices to new customers...but then hike up their rates once the introductory period is over.
I know. Where I used to live they escalated from $40/month to $250/month. Which is why people often switched periodically between cable, the phone company, and sometimes one of the satellite dish companies (which I can't use, because I'd need an antenna).

Quote:
Sling now gives 10 hours of cloud DVR free. Not much, admittedly, but plenty if you are just timeshifting.
Great! I didn't know that. But it's still high.

Quote:
Rising prices are fueling the cord-cutter movement.
Which is why it is too bad that all the main streaming services are rising their prices too. No big surprise though - they are mostly owned by the same conglomerates as cable and satellite. Still, I hoped the low streaming prices would last.

Quote:
Why is OTA reception terrible where you are? Would a good outdoor antenna and/or an amplifier help?
Because I live in a basement. I've tried a good outdoor antenna and amplifier there, but it isn't enough. My landlord wouldn't let me set up an outdoor antenna. And I am soon moving to a place in a valley, where no one gets OTA TV.

Quote:
Another choice might be Philo.
But I want SyFy. And, later in the season, there will be a couple other SyFy shows I watch.

I seriously considered cheating (because I live in the U.S.) with USTVnow, using the $19/month for 3 month intro deal. But they don't get History. AFAICT, there is no service, or combination of services, delivers those three channels for less than Sling.

I could also buy some of the individual programs, from places like Vudu, Amazon, Roku, Google Play, iTunes, Microsoft store, and/or Justwatch (for some reason, you have to look at all of those to find the cheapest prices). I'm not sure if that will come out cheaper in the end, if I watch other shows later in the season too. I might be wrong, especially since some of the broadcasters may try to run their own subscription services.

If I wait long enough they will all probably get on Hulu or Netflix, and stay there for at least a year - so I can subscribe for a month and binge watch. That's the cheapest option.

I wish I could just buy the individual episodes or show seasons at reasonable prices. $2 to $3 / 30-60 minute episode seems pretty high, and so is $20 - $30 / season, which is the prices they are available at.

It's almost enough to make me consider the pirate streaming route. Almost. Anyway, people I've corresponded with say that over the past several weeks, all the Kodi pirate apps they were using stopped working - maybe the media companies have gotten wiser, and are sabotaging the pirates. I wonder why it took them so long...

Anyway, in the larger scheme of things, to Sling and the others, I don't matter. The question is at what point in the escalating price race will many more people start to bail.

I long for the days when free OTA ruled, every home had an antenna on the roof, and VCRs worked.
post #134 of 137 Old 01-20-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I remember OTA not working at the bottom of a hill, and people getting reception without ghosts was the exception not the norm. OTA was a suburban thing, urban/ city dwellers had horrid reception for years, some students at a college couldn't get anything at all. Cable was orginally invented to fix reception problems. Most programs were crap on OTA in those days too. And landlords didn't allow antennas on tons of apartment buildings. I miss that s__ not.

post #135 of 137 Old 01-21-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I remember OTA not working at the bottom of a hill, and people getting reception without ghosts was the exception not the norm. OTA was a suburban thing, urban/ city dwellers had horrid reception for years, some students at a college couldn't get anything at all. Cable was orginally invented to fix reception problems. Most programs were crap on OTA in those days too. And landlords didn't allow antennas on tons of apartment buildings. I miss that s__ not.
I'm well aware that where I am about to move, in a part of upstate NY, there is no OTA available, due to terrain blockage, and it is basically unusable where I currently live, in a basement.

But you don't seem to understand normal social conventions: When we fondly remember "the good olde days", we are only expected to recall the good parts.

Think of it this way: If you wanted to fondly dream about what it was like when people rode horses and buggies instead of cars and buses, you wouldn't dream about the awful smell of horse poo the cities must have once had, or about dealing with sick and wounded horses. In your mind, you would hold to a very romantic vision of the way things were. No need to spoil it with the messy parts.

post #136 of 137 Old 01-21-2020, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2306 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
"the good olde days" is an urban myth.
tenthplanet likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #137 of 137 Old 01-22-2020, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
"the good olde days" is an urban myth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement