Sling TV the Good and the BAD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 102 Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sling TV the Good and the BAD

Just got Sling TV this week
Works great I have Orang with the Lifestyle Plus Extra very good programing.
It one of the better ones and the cost is not bad $25.00 per month.

This where it gets bad
The flyer I got in mail said I would get all the channel list including DYI, Cooking, FYI, and Hallmark for $20.00 per month with a Roku Sounds Like a great deal
NO I did not get the DYI, Cooking, FYI, and Hallmark This cost a extra $5.00 the help line said I email the flyer to them. The help sail you have pay $5.00 more a month no matter what the fly said. To this date I have had any calls or Emails fixing this or some other type fix. I do know if any one higher know any about this. They give ticket # 056 222 43 and was being forward to a Erick Guttierez
See Attachment below

I will let ever know if some calls, emails or it gets fixed

Over it works great

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sling tv add.jpg (149.2 KB, 133 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I see nothing on that flyer that says you get all those channels for $20, it simply says prices start at $20.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
HDMI Guy likes this.
post #3 of 102 Old 09-16-2017, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

I see as this what get for $20.00
FYI the Sling TV employs say same but you will have pay any way
It is miss leading add
I am paying the $5.00 more but I do not like a miss leading add

I will say Sling works great and is low cost over any I have found

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I see nothing on that flyer that says you get all those channels for $20, it simply says prices start at $20.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Update
My response from sling TV
I did email back and waiting for that response
I am paying the extra $5.00 be for this email

Hello DAVID

We understand your concern with this issue and in order to receive DIY, COOKING, and Hallmark channels you would need to have the Lifestyle Extra package added to your account. That package is $5 a month and you can view all the channels in includes using this link: https://www.sling.com/service

Your business is important to us and we encourage you to visit help.sling.com should you have any questions.

Thank you for choosing Sling TV — the #1 Live TV Streaming Service!*

Sincerely,
Sling TV Support
[email protected]
post #5 of 102 Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Just signed up for Sling blue after Vue eliminated Slim and charged for locals I don't need. The service seems ok, not as user friendly as Vue. My main gripe is falsely advertising Nat Geo Wild and Fxx . None of which are live.
post #6 of 102 Old 09-21-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

The service great and good price
There add people are not

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Just signed up for Sling blue after Vue eliminated Slim and charged for locals I don't need. The service seems ok, not as user friendly as Vue. My main gripe is falsely advertising Nat Geo Wild and Fxx . None of which are live.
post #7 of 102 Old 09-22-2017, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Here a good review on Sling TV
https://cordcutting.com/review-of-sling-tv/

Dave
post #8 of 102 Old 11-02-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Sling TV users using Roku units will notice something different today. If you're on the home page AKA My TV ,any tiles you have as favorite channels will now indicate what programming is running live at that time. Everything else seems to be the same. So you now have your recordings, favorites, and a mini guide on one screen.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #9 of 102 Old 11-02-2017, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Sling TV users using Roku units will notice something different today. If you're on the home page AKA My TV ,any tiles you have as favorite channels will now indicate what programming is running live at that time. Everything else seems to be the same. So you now have your recordings, favorites, and a mini guide on one screen.
This applies if you have been updated to Roku OS 8, a number of units were updated today.

post #10 of 102 Old 11-03-2017, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 12316 Post(s)
Liked: 11478
I switched from Sling TV to YouTube TV, wont be going back to Sling. User interface and Picture quality is noticeably better. also have access to all local channels. Though the cheapest package on Sling is cheaper, you don't get all channels, especially if youre a sports fan.

75Q9FN *Galaxy S9+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #11 of 102 Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
I switched from Sling TV to YouTube TV, wont be going back to Sling. User interface and Picture quality is noticeably better. also have access to all local channels. Though the cheapest package on Sling is cheaper, you don't get all channels, especially if youre a sports fan.
That why we need competing services. For example, Fubo is almost entirely sports, mainly soccer. Directv Now has the most complete small bundle at $35, but their performance is lacking with constant buffering on Roku and Fire Stick and out and out shutdowns when using a computer. It's too bad because they had all the "must haves" for this family in that package. I'm getting ready to switch to Sling, because it has more of those "must haves" than Hulu or Vue. I am having to sacrifice a channel or two however. I just hope Sling's delivery is steadier than Direct's was.

As far as locals go, I kept my outdoor antenna years ago, so they aren't a factor for me.

Criticism of Sling before we start. Two different services with different number of streams allowed is way too confusing.
post #12 of 102 Old 01-12-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
That why we need competing services. For example, Fubo is almost entirely sports, mainly soccer. Directv Now has the most complete small bundle at $35, but their performance is lacking with constant buffering on Roku and Fire Stick and out and out shutdowns when using a computer. It's too bad because they had all the "must haves" for this family in that package. I'm getting ready to switch to Sling, because it has more of those "must haves" than Hulu or Vue. I am having to sacrifice a channel or two however. I just hope Sling's delivery is steadier than Direct's was.

As far as locals go, I kept my outdoor antenna years ago, so they aren't a factor for me.

Criticism of Sling before we start. Two different services with different number of streams allowed is way too confusing.
I went back to Sling Orange, yes its bugy. l guess you get what you pay for, but I can get Netflix, Hulu and Sling for what I paid for Vue.
post #13 of 102 Old 01-13-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
I don't have SlingTV, but I'm interested in how the livestreaming "virtual MVPDs" grow.

The key to understanding Orange versus Blue is understanding that the decision to have two different packages was probably heavily influenced by three media conglomerates, Disney (including ESPN and ABC), Comcast (including the broadcast and cable channels from NBCUniversal and also including the Comcast regional sports networks), and 21st Century Fox (including FOX broadcasting, FOX regional sports networks, and some cable channels such as FS1, FS2, and FX).

It seems to me that, in order to keep costs down for its packages, Sling is playing DisneyESPN off against ComcastNBCU and 21stCentFox. (But Disney is in the process of buying some portions of 21stCentFox, so who knows whether Sling will stick with the orange-versus-blue strategy.)
post #14 of 102 Old 01-13-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I don't have SlingTV, but I'm interested in how the livestreaming "virtual MVPDs" grow.

The key to understanding Orange versus Blue is understanding that the decision to have two different packages was probably heavily influenced by three media conglomerates, Disney (including ESPN and ABC), Comcast (including the broadcast and cable channels from NBCUniversal and also including the Comcast regional sports networks), and 21st Century Fox (including FOX broadcasting, FOX regional sports networks, and some cable channels such as FS1, FS2, and FX).

It seems to me that, in order to keep costs down for its packages, Sling is playing DisneyESPN off against ComcastNBCU and 21stCentFox. (But Disney is in the process of buying some portions of 21stCentFox, so who knows whether Sling will stick with the orange-versus-blue strategy.)
You're close, different streaming contracts, Disney only allows one stream on their nets and you can't record them Fox is Ok with three streams and you can record most of their nets. So Orange and Blue, this is the quick simple version. It boils down to this, you want ESPN you have to have orange, and if you want Fox nets/Fox regional sports nets/NBC sportsnet/ NBC regional sports nets (formerly Comcast) you need have to have Blue. Some channels are in both packages like HGTV, so depending what you want you may not need orange and blue. The lists on Slings website makes this a little clearer.

post #15 of 102 Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Not confusing, the list of the website makes it clear. Streams are running well these days, Sling has passed through it's buggy stage. Use a streaming box with horsepower, I'm running a Roku Premiere Plus and it eliminated 99% of any problems I had. Don't stream with a computer, most OTT services don't work well with browsers, too much going in the background on a computer sucking up resources.

post #16 of 102 Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
You're close, different streaming contracts, Disney only allows one stream on their nets and you can't record them Fox is Ok with three streams and you can record most of their nets.
Is that decision by Disney, to allow only one stream and to prohibit recording, a prohibition that is separate from how much money Sling is willing to pay Disney, or is it a situation where Disney would be perfectly willing to permit multiple streams and recording, but only for so much money that Sling would have to raise its prices beyond what it considers bearable in its business model?

Does Disney impose the same restrictions on all streaming services (DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, etc.)? If not, then the decision to set up the Orange and Blue packages in the way that it has was a cost control decision by Sling.
post #17 of 102 Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have been using Sling TV blue ($25) plus News ($5) and DVR ($5). I did research on all competitors and options, before deciding. Requirements of my household members were CNN, and MSNBC, and native Apple TV App. Pretty much left Hulu Live and Sling TV.

I see many customers having issues with their own mis-understanding of offers, from channel availability to not realizing that retaining or subscribing to a Broadband service is required, yep seriously. It doesn't help when other customers inadvertently provide inaccurate details, ( No Streaming Service offers "All the Locals", possibly the majors). So far local PBS is not carried by any Streaming service, nor MHZ, ME TV, ION, Grit, or other sub-channels. In reality, my household is saving less than $30 a month, from our Xfinty service.

We subscribed in November, and just recently had first issue with Sling TV. I setup a series recording of The X Files, and the 3rd episode this season won't load from the DVR, error code 10-402. Ran through all troubleshooting, then called Customer Service, who had one extra step, then issued a support request ticket #, and said to call back in 24 hours.

While waiting, I checked You Tube and a few customers have had this issue on Apple TV. I decided to check on other devices I had retired, and sure enough both Roku and Fire TV played the DVR'd episode with no issues.

Before I called Sling TV back, I received an email that this was a known issue to randomly occur on Apple TV, and, there is no workaround to load and watch the recorded program. Wow. Then I realized I had also received another email that the CS ticket/issue was now closed.

That is unacceptable to me, but, I'm not sure the other options for Streaming Service are any better.

Oh, one thing I thought was a bit unusual. I live in the DC tv market, and my local Fox affiliate is WTTG Fox 5. The episode that is recorded, and won't load on Apple TV is from WTFX Fox Philadelphia, and so are the local ads. I checked the other 2 episodes, and they are definitely WTTG Fox 5. I have no idea if that has anything to do with my issue, but I surely think it strange that what is supposed to be my local DVR recorded episode is from Philly. It would still be as unusual if it wasn't The X Files.
post #18 of 102 Old 02-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 40
1. Is the DVR currently reliable? (I can use a Windows 7 PC and Roku.)

2. Can it fast forward past commercials?

3. Which of these channels have programs available on demand? Which can be DVR'd? (They are all on Sling Blue in my geographic area.):

ABC
AMC
BBCAmerica
Bravo
CBS
Fox
FX
History
NBC
SyFy
TNT

Last edited by MRG1; 02-07-2018 at 01:12 PM.
post #19 of 102 Old 02-08-2018, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post

3. Which of these channels have programs available on demand? Which can be DVR'd? (They are all on Sling Blue in my geographic area.):

ABC
AMC
BBCAmerica
Bravo
CBS
Fox
FX
History
NBC
SyFy
TNT
ABC is actually considered to be Orange and can't be recorded, ABC does have extensive VOD offereings. CBS is not offered by Sling at this time. All the other channels can be recorded, I've done it. If you're using one of the recent Rokus's you should be fine. I've been using the DVR since the beta phase. Best to get a trial and see if this all works for you.
MRG1 likes this.

post #20 of 102 Old 02-08-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:

ABC
AMC
BBCAmerica
Bravo
CBS
Fox
FX
History
NBC
SyFy
TNT
ABC is actually considered to be Orange and can't be recorded, ABC does have extensive VOD offereings. CBS is not offered by Sling at this time. All the other channels can be recorded, I've done it. If you're using one of the recent Rokus's you should be fine. I've been using the DVR since the beta phase. Best to get a trial and see if this all works for you.
Plus you have to pay $5 extra for ABC. For the money you are better off with any other service
MRG1 likes this.
post #21 of 102 Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Thanks, guys!

Fortunately, ABC and CBS are free on demand on their own websites - though I'd have to watch ads. CBS All Access programs aren't free - but they aren't included on any of the other services I looked at either.

I used Sling a few months ago, so am not eligible for the the free trial. The parts that I tried worked well, but I don't remember the details, and I didn't try Cloud DVR. Didn't work with PlayOn.

I've looked over the ads for all the other available bundle options I can find, and tried two of them:

Philo $16/month - but doesn't have all my non-free channels.

FUBO ($20 / 1st month, then $40) Doesn't have all my non-free channels

USTVNow Complicated pricing, eventual price unspecified with DVR, doesn't have all my channels, not sure is legit.

YoutubeTV $35/month (doesn't have all my non-free channels; works well on my Roku; sometimes hangs my PC during FF). If someone else in my building wanted to share, this would be a good option, because of subaccounts, but no one does. Didn't work with PlayOn.

DirecTVNow $35/month. Worked erratically on both PC and Roku; episodes showed up several weeks later than Sling or YoutubeTV; in a timed test, there were almost twice as many minutes of ad as program! - AND some of my channels weren't available. Flashy but slow and clumsy interface. SOMETIMES worked with PlayON - but maybe not now that they've added their own reportedly unreliable DVR. Lots of bad rap on this forum, except for people who use Apple TV, which is expensive. Service not yet ready for prime time.)

PlayStation Vue $40/month. I should use the free trial - but may not bother at this price.

Hulu+Live TV $40/month. Can't do the free trial, because I used to use Hulu. Don't know of anything on Hulu I want now.

Layer3 $75/month. Too expensive.

Sling Blue+CloudDVR is $25+$5 / month, has all the non-free channels I watch, according to

https://www.sling.com/service

so it is the cheapest option with all MY non-free channels.

I think it would be cheaper to buy my current programs individually, by season, from VUDU, Google Play, and/or Microsoft Store (Amazon and Apple are more expensive for my programs) - but that is too much work, and I wouldn't be able to preview new shows.

I'd go with Comcast cable Internet+Xfinity WiFi hotspots+TV for $60/month - but my landlord already provides Verizon FIOS Internet for free. (Besides, from past experience, Comcast/Xfinity don't disclose all their fees.) He won't let me mount an OTA antenna - too bad, as most major networks are local.

Last edited by MRG1; 02-08-2018 at 02:10 PM.
post #22 of 102 Old 02-10-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks, guys!

Fortunately, ABC and CBS are free on demand on their own websites - though I'd have to watch ads. CBS All Access programs aren't free - but they aren't included on any of the other services I looked at either.

I used Sling a few months ago, so am not eligible for the the free trial. The parts that I tried worked well, but I don't remember the details, and I didn't try Cloud DVR. Didn't work with PlayOn.

I've looked over the ads for all the other available bundle options I can find, and tried two of them:

Philo $16/month - but doesn't have all my non-free channels.

FUBO ($20 / 1st month, then $40) Doesn't have all my non-free channels

USTVNow Complicated pricing, eventual price unspecified with DVR, doesn't have all my channels, not sure is legit.

YoutubeTV $35/month (doesn't have all my non-free channels; works well on my Roku; sometimes hangs my PC during FF). If someone else in my building wanted to share, this would be a good option, because of subaccounts, but no one does. Didn't work with PlayOn.

DirecTVNow $35/month. Worked erratically on both PC and Roku; episodes showed up several weeks later than Sling or YoutubeTV; in a timed test, there were almost twice as many minutes of ad as program! - AND some of my channels weren't available. Flashy but slow and clumsy interface. SOMETIMES worked with PlayON - but maybe not now that they've added their own reportedly unreliable DVR. Lots of bad rap on this forum, except for people who use Apple TV, which is expensive. Service not yet ready for prime time.)

PlayStation Vue $40/month. I should use the free trial - but may not bother at this price.

Hulu+Live TV $40/month. Can't do the free trial, because I used to use Hulu. Don't know of anything on Hulu I want now.

Sling Blue+CloudDVR is $25+$5 / month, has all the non-free channels I watch, according to

https://www.sling.com/service

so it is the cheapest option with all MY non-free channels.

I think it would be cheaper to buy my current programs individually, by season, from VUDU, Google Play, and/or Microsoft Store (Amazon and Apple are more expensive for my programs) - but that is too much work, and I wouldn't be able to preview new shows.

I'd go with Comcast cable Internet+Xfinity WiFi hotspots+TV for $60/month - but my landlord already provides Verizon FIOS Internet for free. (Besides, from past experience, Comcast/Xfinity don't disclose all their fees.) He won't let me mount an OTA antenna - too bad, as most major networks are local.
If you have Spectrum internet, they have a $22 plan. All locals including sub channels than pick any 10 cable channels. A Dvr is $11 A month, but that makes it regular cable.

Edit never mind I see you have Verizon
post #23 of 102 Old 02-10-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Thanks, guys!

Layer 3 is, now, a tiny company. HOWEVER, they were just taken over by T-Mobile. IF TM does what they did to/for
the cell industry - it will be interesting to see what they do here.
MRG1 likes this.
post #24 of 102 Old 02-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
As of yesterday YouTube TV added a bunch more channels, including all the Turner stations (TNT, TBS, etc.). They're also raising their rates to $40/month after March 13. So you can buy in now, be grandfathered in at $35, and get those channels. From what I saw of your list in an earlier post, I think they're all on YTTV now.
post #25 of 102 Old 02-15-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
As of yesterday YouTube TV added a bunch more channels, including all the Turner stations (TNT, TBS, etc.). They're also raising their rates to $40/month after March 13. So you can buy in now, be grandfathered in at $35, and get those channels. From what I saw of your list in an earlier post, I think they're all on YTTV now.
Too bad they don't have any food or HGTV/DIY channels. Wife won't like that.

post #26 of 102 Old 02-15-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Those channels is why I got Sling in the first place, I've stayed with them ever since. DIY is a dynamite channel for guys too.

post #27 of 102 Old 02-15-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Layer 3 is, now, a tiny company. HOWEVER, they were just taken over by T-Mobile. IF TM does what they did to/for
the cell industry - it will be interesting to see what they do here.
Read this...It's seems T-Mobile is not getting much of a return..
http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...aspx?id=840744
Stock Analyst Update

T-Mobile Acquisition Not Very 'Disruptive'

We don't think the no-moat telecom can offer a competitive video product profitably.

post #28 of 102 Old 02-15-2018, 07:44 PM

[Regarding Youtube TV]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Their own websites, http://www.hgtv.com and http://www.diynetwork.com, are free, from a quick look. But I don't know if their includes all of their respective channels' programs.

I will be saddened if Youtube TV raises their rates. I think that the various IPTV bundlers were cheaper than Cable and Satellite because there is much more competition. If Youtube TV doesn't believe they have to stay cheap, some of the others may raise their prices too.

However, while it has been reported elsewhere, I don't see anything on the Youtube TV website saying that they are raising their rates. Perhaps the announcement is a trial balloon.

I already decided that at current Sling is a better deal - FOR ME - than Youtube TV. Adding the extra channels, even if they don't raise rates, won't fix that. I don't think it is a good decision. But I'm not in charge of Google, which own Youtube. It remains to be seen how other people will respond, and how Google will respond in turn.
post #29 of 102 Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
[Regarding Youtube TV]

Their own websites, http://www.hgtv.com and http://www.diynetwork.com, are free, from a quick look. But I don't know if their includes all of their respective channels' programs.

I will be saddened if Youtube TV raises their rates. I think that the various IPTV bundlers were cheaper than Cable and Satellite because there is much more competition. If Youtube TV doesn't believe they have to stay cheap, some of the others may raise their prices too.

However, while it has been reported elsewhere, I don't see anything on the Youtube TV website saying that they are raising their rates. Perhaps the announcement is a trial balloon.

I already decided that at current Sling is a better deal - FOR ME - than Youtube TV. Adding the extra channels, even if they don't raise rates, won't fix that. I don't think it is a good decision. But I'm not in charge of Google, which own Youtube. It remains to be seen how other people will respond, and how Google will respond in turn.
The rate increase is posted at the top on the YouTube TV website. It says to lock in at $35 by March 13th. It doesn't exactly say it'll be $40, but I'm sure it will.

Those channels' website only has limited shows. I think in Canada they offer more online.

post #30 of 102 Old 02-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have not had the best experience with SlingTV Blue, on our Apple TV's. We have had several open cases since December regarding Apple TV specific DVR failures. Shows set up for Series recording aren't playing on Apple TV's but play fine on Fire TV or Roku. Single episode recordings have no problem playing at all.

Customer service over the phone was good, but don't expect resolution level service. I was sent an email after my first phone contact with service case number and instructed to select Debug Logging in support section of app for engineers access and to contact after 24 hours. When I called back I was informed service requests are not supported on individual basis, meaning, it either is resolved or not, but they don't respond.

I contacted them every week after my series recording would not play referring to my original case number, eventually receiving another email that my issue was escalated to top tier for resolution.

Today I began a free trial of YouTube TV on Apple TV and it is flawless so far. BTW, if you want to subscribe to YouTube TV for Apple TV do It on computer at tv.youtube.com, not iTunes. iTunes charges $5 more per month.

I will continue to keep checking Twitter to see if Sling TV issues with Apple TV is resolved, and will consider returning. That's the benefit of only committing for 30 days a pop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page