Apple TV 5 Supports 4K/UHD HDR with Many Movies on iTunes - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280Likes

post #601 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I thought that DV contained the HDR10 metadata and there was no need for conversion....just extraction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Personally I think most 4kHDR titles are nearly indistinguishable from UHD, its that good

DolbyVision to HDR10 conversion has issues, and Apple is actively working on it.

And we need Atmos (and DTS:X, if that's parting of streaming offerings)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyice426 View Post
My comparisons of Apples 4k streams vs. disc aren’t as drastic of a difference as yours is. The disc is still better but not by much. In fact its so good that now I’ll only purchase a disc when I want pristine reference quality. Are you sure you’re getting enough bandwidth? I have Fios with 75 mbps up & down. I normally get about 86 mbps speeds with WiFi.

Well my connection is 100 mbps and as said before I had problems in the beginning with the apple service though everything else worked fine...even speedtest (ookla) gave good results at around 90 mbps effective. I was hoping that issues were over....the good side is that maybe I can still improve on the streaming quality!

I wouldn't know if those differences between the UHD and stream are still accountable to the connection.......or it's the actual compression!

If only Apple would allow to download or at least to buffer until you have the full data stream.......actually all streaming services I use (netflix, amazon) don't allow you to choose anything and most times even to not know anything about our stream.....we are treated like non sentient beings...only exception is youtube....

My TV is a C6 Oled from last year which is surely more picky in dark areas than LCD and 2017 Oleds. Bear in mind that those were phone pics but I surely notice the difference when watching.
In a brightly lit scene I see no difference while watching....I need to pause and compare!

Cheers...
post #603 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 AM

By the way in the video comparison just posted by Nathan there a lot of info in yellow text over the images.
Does anybody knows where it's coming from?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
I thought that DV contained the HDR10 metadata and there was no need for conversion....just extraction!
If you are talking about UHD BR, then that is the case.

If you are talking about ATV, then the jury is out. ATV uses a different profile of DV than what is used on UHD blu ray, and the specs for the profile of DV used on the ATV do NOT require an HDR10 base layer. It appears to be converting on the fly (and other than inserting bad meta data about things like MAXCLL) pretty well as long as you can defeat your display adjusting itself based on the MAXCLL meta data.

If you look in the main ATV thread here on AVS you'll see the docs from Dolby posted which go into the differences between the different profiles. You'll also see analysis of the content via the HUD, and devices that can display the meta data like the HDFury Linker, and a link to the YouTube review from HDTVTest that shows the meta data issues with the HDR10 output.
post #605 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint74 View Post
By the way in the video comparison just posted by Nathan there a lot of info in yellow text over the images.
Does anybody knows where it's coming from?

Thanks.

Search the ATV thread for "HUD" (if AVS will let you search for that small a word, otherwise try Heads Up Display). It can be enabled by installing a developer app (free) on your Mac, and then walking through a few steps to enable a Developer menu on your ATV, which gives you access. (Won't necessarily work if you are using beta firmware on the ATV, I am told.)
post #606 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
It appears to be converting on the fly (and other than inserting bad meta data about things like MAXCLL) pretty well as long as you can defeat your display adjusting itself based on the MAXCLL meta data.
What are some ways you can do the bolded? My Apple TV is connected to a 930E.
post #607 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Doesn't that Sony TV support DV? If so, you will be fine with DV content.

The issue arises with DV content converted in the ATV to HDR10, for devices that cannot handle DV. In those cases, the HDR10 meta data for MAXCLL is wrong and if the TV assumes the data is right, it clips some highlights. There is a video from HDTVTest showing how this happens on a LG OLED, but there is a setting which can help. I suppose it might also be possible to use something like an HDFury product to strip some of the metadata, but I don't know. In my case, my HDR10 display does not react to that meta data and just uses one tone map, regardless.
post #608 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Anyone with any tips? When I switch inputs to play Xbox for a while or whatever else and come back to the Apple TV, the slide down menu only reports 4K for Netflix and iTunes Movies in Dolby Vision. The TV will still switch to Dolby Vision mode but only report 4K playback. When I unplug the unit and plug it back in, the problem is fixed. The problem doesn’t get fixed if I go into settings and restart device either (which is weird). I know that if I am on the main menu and unplug and plug the HDMI cable back in it will report 4K only. Just frustrating that I have to unplug the Apple TV almost every time I go to use it after being on a different input. I can’t find a remedy. Can anyone else replicate this behavior and/or have any suggestions to help rid of the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #609 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Apple TV 5 Supports 4K/UHD HDR with Many Movies on iTunes

Quote:
Doesn't that Sony TV support DV? If so, you will be fine with DV content.

The issue arises with DV content converted in the ATV to HDR10, for devices that cannot handle DV. In those cases, the HDR10 meta data for MAXCLL is wrong and if the TV assumes the data is right, it clips some highlights. There is a video from HDTVTest showing how this happens on a LG OLED, but there is a setting which can help. I suppose it might also be possible to use something like an HDFury product to strip some of the metadata, but I don't know. In my case, my HDR10 display does not react to that meta data and just uses one tone map, regardless.

The update for DV hasn’t been released yet. The 930e does do it’s own dynamic tone mapping for HDR10 content if I understand correctly so maybe it’s not affected by the incorrect MAXCLL mappings.
post #610 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 PM

Liked: 13
Need help on setting up Apple 4k... Just pick up Apple TV 4k from bestbuy.
My intend was to replace WD media player with the latest 4k player from Apple. ATV is connect to the Synology nas via network cable.
Bestbuy sale person recommend download VLC from app store to stream from NAS. Problem is , only 2 channel pcm is pickup/decode by the receiver.
Question, what APP do you guys recommend for streaming mkv, and mp4 files, and still able to support all the audio format (from dolby and dts ). thanks..
Any help will be greatly appreciate.

wil
post #611 of 630 Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post
The update for DV hasn’t been released yet. The 930e does do it’s own dynamic tone mapping for HDR10 content if I understand correctly so maybe it’s not affected by the incorrect MAXCLL mappings.
I have no idea of the Sony TV looks at meta data to decide what tone curve to use. In theory, it "should" because that is supposed to be the best way to get the best tone curve but there may be enough sources (similar to the ATV) with unreliable meta data that it ignores it.

The one test I saw online was with a LG OLED display and it was respecting/responding to meta data.
post #612 of 630 Old 11-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Anybody know whether or not Planet Earth 2 is in 4K HDR on the new ATV?

Thanks,

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #613 of 630 Old 11-16-2017, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Anybody know whether or not Planet Earth 2 is in 4K HDR on the new ATV?

Thanks,
No.
arftech likes this.
post #614 of 630 Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Anyone with any tips? When I switch inputs to play Xbox for a while or whatever else and come back to the Apple TV, the slide down menu only reports 4K for Netflix and iTunes Movies in Dolby Vision. The TV will still switch to Dolby Vision mode but only report 4K playback. When I unplug the unit and plug it back in, the problem is fixed. The problem doesn?t get fixed if I go into settings and restart device either (which is weird). I know that if I am on the main menu and unplug and plug the HDMI cable back in it will report 4K only. Just frustrating that I have to unplug the Apple TV almost every time I go to use it after being on a different input. I can?t find a remedy. Can anyone else replicate this behavior and/or have any suggestions to help rid of the issue.

If it's not working u can temp fix by one of two ways (depending on your menu settings). Select either these in video settings:

1) Check Cable

Or

2) Enable HDR
post #615 of 630 Old 11-17-2017, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
If it's not working u can temp fix by one of two ways (depending on your menu settings). Select either these in video settings:

1) Check Cable

Or

2) Enable HDR

That will save me from unplugging then? I’ll try when I get home. I love the Auto Switch mode but still sucks that I have to restart or go into settings to fix quite a bit still. Oh well, it’s still a newer device and bugs will get worked out. I was just hoping mine wasn’t the only one that did it and that Apple is able to recognize the problem and come up with a fix.

post #616 of 630 Old 11-18-2017, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Apple TV 5 Supports 4K/UHD HDR with Many Movies on iTunes

Does anyone in here own Labyrinth from iTunes, and can you verify that it actually plays back in Dolby Vision on the Apple TV4K? (Assuming your copy is listed as Dolby Vision).

LG OLED55C7P
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Switch

Last edited by tylerk86; 11-18-2017 at 05:04 PM.
post #617 of 630 Old 11-19-2017, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk86 View Post
Does anyone in here own Labyrinth from iTunes, and can you verify that it actually plays back in Dolby Vision on the Apple TV4K? (Assuming your copy is listed as Dolby Vision).
The only way you'd get it in 4K right now on iTunes is:

Buying outright on iTunes or

Redeeming 4K code on MA or

Owning the 4K on Google and it porting

I'm stuck with HD for now, even though I redeemed the 4K code on Sony Store. I have to wait for Vudu to get it in 4K for it to port over in 4K at iTunes. Or if Sony Store joins MA.
post #618 of 630 Old 11-20-2017, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
The only way you'd get it in 4K right now on iTunes is:

Buying outright on iTunes or

Redeeming 4K code on MA or

Owning the 4K on Google and it porting

I'm stuck with HD for now, even though I redeemed the 4K code on Sony Store. I have to wait for Vudu to get it in 4K for it to port over in 4K at iTunes. Or if Sony Store joins MA.

Right, I’m good with how all that works. I’m just having a weird issue with my iTunes-purchased copy.

LG OLED55C7P
Apple TV 4K
Nintendo Switch
post #619 of 630 Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked: 5174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post
That's correct. The Sony's will ignore the HDR10 metadata and use it's own internally generated frame by frame.
tmdorsey and rlb like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #620 of 630 Old 11-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil1688 View Post
Need help on setting up Apple 4k... Just pick up Apple TV 4k from bestbuy.
My intend was to replace WD media player with the latest 4k player from Apple. ATV is connect to the Synology nas via network cable.
Bestbuy sale person recommend download VLC from app store to stream from NAS. Problem is , only 2 channel pcm is pickup/decode by the receiver.
Question, what APP do you guys recommend for streaming mkv, and mp4 files, and still able to support all the audio format (from dolby and dts ). thanks..
Any help will be greatly appreciate.

wil

Try Infuse Pro! Works fine with all my media including 4k and most 5.1 audio formats.
post #621 of 630 Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by highenduser View Post
Try Infuse Pro! Works fine with all my media including 4k and most 5.1 audio formats.
Infuse Pro seems to have a bug in way it retains contrast. Save this to video and play it back in both Infuse and Plex and you will see what I mean.
post #622 of 630 Old 12-05-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 296
FYI, MrMC testflight supports Dolby Vision playback. This is good news because it means it is now possible to play local Dolby Vision files in DV, not just DV titles from streaming services. From my testing though, it only seems to work for DV files with single layer composition. Dual layer DV composition (e.g., UHD rips), do not seem to work. It's not clear yet whether it will ever be possible to play these type of files in DV on the Apple TV. There also doesn't seem to be any information out there about converting between single and dual layer DV.

More info for those interested (PDF warning): https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...hite-paper.pdf
post #623 of 630 Old 12-08-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3464
A question about storage, 32GB vs 64GB. I'm guessing onboard storage is for downloaded films, TV shows, music, etc. along with some app storage. If the device is going to be used primarily for streaming, probably 90-95% of the time, is there any need to go with the 64GB model over the 32GB model? Would that be the only thing I'd be giving up, DL'ed content storage space?

Thanks
post #624 of 630 Old 12-08-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Storage is for games and similar content from aps. Near as anyone can tell, no movies are stored on the memory (other than buffering).
post #625 of 630 Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Storage is for games and similar content from aps. Near as anyone can tell, no movies are stored on the memory (other than buffering).
Thanks. So if one uses the device for apps such as Netflix, Amazon, etc. then the storage space is not a major concern then?
post #626 of 630 Old 12-08-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That has been my experience so far. I haven’t seen any reports from other users indicating otherwise, either.
post #627 of 630 Old 12-08-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
That has been my experience so far. I haven’t seen any reports from other users indicating otherwise, either.
Thanks!
post #628 of 630 Old 02-04-2018, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
If the highest the ATV can output is 4:2:2 24bit, how can Infuse then properly play HDR10 MKVs?

If the ATV displays colors only in 8bit, a lot of the quality is lost, right?
post #629 of 630 Old 02-04-2018, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I put 11.3 on my Apple TV now my music won’t play unless I completely reboot it each time. If I play Netflix I have to reboot it to get music to play....anyone having this problem?

Chuck
A1E 65
Yamaha 2060 Emotiva XPA Gen3,Klipsch RF-711,Klipsch RC-6411,Klipsch RP-250S Speedwoofer
Apple TV 4k,Amazon Fire TV
post #630 of 630 Old 02-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxvtx View Post
I put 11.3 on my Apple TV now my music won’t play unless I completely reboot it each time. If I play Netflix I have to reboot it to get music to play....anyone having this problem?

Yup. Same thing.

Sony 940D
Sony 940E
Anthem MRX 520
Oppo 203
Oppo 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
apple tv 5 , dolby vision , hdr , hdr10 , uhd