Official 2017 (new) Amazon HDR FireTV Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #61 of 547 Old 10-12-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I have one of these on preorder.
Has anyone had success in sideloading Vudu on the previous model since it is not offered as an app?
If so, are there any limitations or drawbacks as compared to the native app.
Thanks

Perhaps I misremembered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 547 Old 10-12-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
I have one of these on preorder.
Has anyone had success in sideloading Vudu on the previous model since it is not offered as an app?
If so, are there any limitations or drawbacks as compared to the native app.
Thanks
You could probably ask on the old FireTV forum, but the bigger question is if you sideload it will you get Atmos on the new FireTV 3? Guess we will find out Oct 25.
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #63 of 547 Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Talking of Atmos presumably Prime titles that are currently DD+ will stay that way and Atmos will only be available on select new titles?

7.2 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Intel NUC6CAYH, Sony X700, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
5.1 Denon X7200WA, Focal Dome, LG OLED (E6V)
In both Setups "Virgin Tivo V6, Zappiti 4K HDR, FireTV Stick 4K, Harmony Elite"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 547 Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Any specs on the higher end flagship model? The one that is suppose to look like a dot. Ive only been able to get info on the dongle/stick replacement.

I was planning on picking up a 2nd FireTV Gen 2 for our living room TV but if there is new one coming out I can wait.

Ethernet and ability to use IR are a must.

I see some refurb Gen 2 Fire TVs on Amazon.......may just go that route.
dan4081 likes this.
post #65 of 547 Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Any specs on the higher end flagship model? The one that is suppose to look like a dot. Ive only been able to get info on the dongle/stick replacement.

I was planning on picking up a 2nd FireTV Gen 2 for our living room TV but if there is new one coming out I can wait.

Nothing firm. If you want 4K HDR and an ethernet port, the Roku Ultra is probably a better option at this time.
post #66 of 547 Old 10-13-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:

None of the FTV models allow IR control.
Apparently the new dongle allows an Ethernet over USB attachment.
post #67 of 547 Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
None of the FTV models allow IR control.
Apparently the new dongle allows an Ethernet over USB attachment.
Yeah, I need to be able to use something like a Flirc. Which is why the dongle would not work. I need something like the current Fire TV box that has ethernet port and USB port. My assumption is that the new flagship model will have that but have not seen any info on it yet.

If the PSVue app was not so bad on Roku I would probably ditch Amazon and go with Roku. My new bedroom TV is a TCL Roku TV so it would not even need a separate box.
post #68 of 547 Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I need to be able to use something like a Flirc. Which is why the dongle would not work. I need something like the current Fire TV box that has ethernet port and USB port. My assumption is that the new flagship model will have that but have not seen any info on it yet.

If the PSVue app was not so bad on Roku I would probably ditch Amazon and go with Roku. My new bedroom TV is a TCL Roku TV so it would not even need a separate box.

I have an existing Gen Two which is going into the bedroom when the Gen Three arrives. I'm hoping to use Harmony to control both, the Gen Two via Flirc and the Gen Three via standard bluetooth. I don't know if that will be possible but would be great if it is.

7.2 Yamaha RX-A3080, Monitor Audio (Apex & Silver), Seismic 110, XBOX, Intel NUC6CAYH, Sony X700, Panasonic TX65GZ950B
post #69 of 547 Old 10-17-2017, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Hopefully sideloading Vudu or the Google Play store will no longer be necessary now that both of them (and iTunes for that matter) have joined Amazon as part of the "Movies Anywhere" app, and movies you bought on those services will now (or soon) show up in your Amazon library.

This should also get UltraViolet copies of discs you've bought into your Amazon library through Vudu.
Chuck Ebby and I WANT MORE like this.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #70 of 547 Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Hopefully sideloading Vudu or the Google Play store will no longer be necessary now that both of them (and iTunes for that matter) have joined Amazon as part of the "Movies Anywhere" app, and movies you bought on those services will now (or soon) show up in your Amazon library.

This should also get UltraViolet copies of discs you've bought into your Amazon library through Vudu.
The Movies Anywhere (MA) App is available now for the current Fire TVs. Guess I'll download it and check it out. I have heard on the Roku HDR forum, that Vudu is not currently putting UHD content on MA but hopefully that is just a startup hiccup.
post #71 of 547 Old 10-18-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
I have an existing Gen Two which is going into the bedroom when the Gen Three arrives. I'm hoping to use Harmony to control both, the Gen Two via Flirc and the Gen Three via standard bluetooth. I don't know if that will be possible but would be great if it is.
I recently got a 55" TCL P605 Roku TV for the bedroom...and moved the Vizio 70 that was in the bedroom out to living room. I was using a Fire TV G2 box in the bedroom and had hoped to move it out with the old TV and just use the new TV's built in Roku APPs....but after using the Roku version of the PS Vue app which is just bad....i find myself needing to keep the Fire TV in the bedroom and get something for the living room. Why apps for things like PS Vue differ so much between devices annoys me.

Harmony remote in both locations is just a regular IR model so no support for bluetooth....need IR. Both locations have Ethernet available.

I think ill just forget the newer Fire TV since there is no info or release date for the "box" version and try to find a 2nd refurb or used Gen 2. Another option would be Shield TV since its PS Vue App is pretty close to the one on Fire TV...but that seems overkill.
post #72 of 547 Old 10-23-2017, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Two more days.... When the FireTV 3 gets here I may try an extender cable, that dongle looks pretty short.

edit: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B01D5H8ZI8

Last edited by naustin; 10-23-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #73 of 547 Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Two more days.... When the FireTV 3 gets here I may try an extender cable, that dongle looks pretty short.

edit: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B01D5H8ZI8
Since it works via bluetooth I intend to connect it directly to my receiver and it will sit in the devil's tangled nest of wires behind my unit. I'm not anticipating any problem connecting to it since line of sight is not required.

post #74 of 547 Old 10-24-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered the dongle the same day as the unit.
Unit will arrive tomorrow and the dongle Nov. 10th.
WTF?

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #75 of 547 Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
I ordered the dongle the same day as the unit.
Unit will arrive tomorrow and the dongle Nov. 10th.
WTF?
You mean the ethernet adapter is shipping in Nov?
post #76 of 547 Old 10-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
Since it works via bluetooth I intend to connect it directly to my receiver and it will sit in the devil's tangled nest of wires behind my unit. I'm not anticipating any problem connecting to it since line of sight is not required.
I'm doing the same. Mine is expected to arrive tomorrow

LG C865 // Xfinity X1 // AFTV 4K
Harmony Elite // WII // Switch
Denon X4300H
KEF-RDM2 x4, KEF-100 Center
Velodyne HGS-10
post #77 of 547 Old 10-24-2017, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #78 of 547 Old 10-24-2017, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

An interesting excerpt from Cnet review...

It is worth mentioning that Movies Anywhere films from non-Amazon sources (Vudu, iTunes and Google Play) won't appear in HDR or 4K, even when played from the Your Library section on Fire TV. Roku doesn't have a huge advantage there, however, since its native Vudu and Google Play apps don't support HDR (yet), although people with large Vudu collections might want to go Roku since its app supports 4K and Dolby Atmos.

Speaking of Atmos, unlike Apple TV the Fire TV can support Dolby's best in-home audio format, but no apps on Fire TV actually support Atmos yet at the moment. Vudu's app on Roku offers Atmos however, so again people with large Vudu libraries (and an Atmos system) might want to go Roku.
post #79 of 547 Old 10-24-2017, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
To those getting this, could you please report back if this can now play Netflix films in 24p.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
post #80 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
You mean the ethernet adapter is shipping in Nov?
Correct.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #81 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Bummer. Ordered my AFTV3 from BB; they shipped it on the 24th so I get it the 26th.
post #82 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Good news and not so good news...
I was in my local Best Buy this morning. Saw they had 1 of the new AFTV HDR's. Grabbed it!

During lunch. I set it up.
I have a Denon X2200W that I plug all my devices into - an NVidia Shield TV and Roku Ultra and now the AFTV HDR.
The Denon feeds a Samsung UN65JS8500 4K UHD TV that supports HDR.
I had a Fire TV 4K in the same chain and moved that to my basement TV. I plugged the new AFTV HDR into the same HDMI input as the orginal AFTV

Ok, started it up, let it update, signed in and off the the races.
First, under Settings -> Display and Sound there are some new setttings. I left the resolution to 4K Auto (I am hoping/assuming this implies auto frame rate switching). Under Depth there is 8 bit, 10 bit and 12 bit. 8 was the default so I changed it to 10 bit. Under Color Space it lets to select RGB (default) or YCbCr. I selected YCbCr.

First test - started Netflix and started to watch a movie that had the HDR badge. The AFTV HDR went into HDR mode (as did the TV) and it played the movie. Looked ok.
Stopped playing and exited Netflix.... HDR still ON!!!
Home screen is all blown out. So, went back into Netflix and tried playing a non HDR 4K movie. HDR stayed on...
Exited Netflix - HDR still on - home screen blown out.
Reset AFTV HDR - all back to normal.

Experiment #2
This time went into Amazon Video. Played Grand Tour. HDR mode goes on and Grand Tour looks great.
Stop playing video and exit to home screen.
HDR still on.... home screen and images are all blown out, over saturated...
Went back into Amazon Video and tried a non-HDR movie. HDR still enabled - move is not looking good ;-)
Reset AFTV HDR - back to normal.

Last experiment - Go into Amazon Video - play Grand Tour. HDR kicks in, looks good. Exit video and HDR still enabled.
This time, I changed the input on the Denon AVR from the AFTV HDR to any other input (in this case the Roku). Then, went back and selected the input the AFTV HDR is plugged into.
Interesting, HDR is now off and everything is back to normal.

As a side, the NVidia Shield is a good example of switching back and forth correctly. The Netflix app only switches into HDR mode when the source is HDR and exits as soon as you exit the movie. Kodi/SPMC (on the NVidia Shield) also handle gracefully going in and out of HDR mode when appropriate.

So, long story short - if you get one the next few days keep an eye out on the AFTV HDR getting stuck in HDR mode when it shouldn't. If it gets stuck you will either need to reset the box or try switching HDMI inputs - maybe the HDMI handshake gets things back to normal.

I would think a software update with clear this issue up.
post #83 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 128
just to double check - my AFTV2 can't do HDR, but this one can. Also the new one has Atmos compatibility. Are those the only upgrades?
post #84 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
Under Depth there is 8 bit, 10 bit and 12 bit. 8 was the default so I changed it to 10 bit.
First test - started Netflix and started to watch a movie that had the HDR badge. The AFTV HDR went into HDR mode (as did the TV) and it played the movie. Looked ok.
Home screen is all blown out. So, went back into Netflix and tried playing a non HDR 4K movie. HDR stayed on...
You should try different bit depth settings for the FTV. Stick with "auto" whenever possible in setup. Don't assume that anything works the way it *should*.
post #85 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
+1 to having the HDR Always On issue. After I exit any type of HDR programming the HDR settings seem to stay on and everything looks really bad (anything that's not HDR, at least). I have tried both the auto display, and setting it to 10Bit. Doesn't make a difference.

My other problem I am having is audio, and I've flipped between auto and forced Dolby and Dolby Plus, same thing. Netflix and Amazon seem to be handling my 5.1 setup fine, but YouTube and Plex are not, it seems like it is only using two channels. I'm at a loss, it almost seems like it's an app issue? I did not have any issue with my Fire TV Gen 2.

Edit: The audio with Plex might be a Plex app issue it looks like.. hmm. Still doesn't explain YouTube, though.
Edit 2: OK, with Plex, disabling the audio passthru that popped up when I opened the app the first time seems to have fixed that. Whew.

Last edited by jglonek; 10-25-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #86 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You should try different bit depth settings for the FTV. Stick with "auto" whenever possible in setup. Don't assume that anything works the way it *should*.
Yes, I changed the bit depth from 10 bit to 12 bit. Same issue - HDR stays on after being enabled once.

I have posted this issue in the Amazon Digital and Device forum and had a quick chat with Amazon customer support - he was going to pass this on to Amazon engineering.

New device, new software - have to expect a few bumps. I would think this is a pretty easy fix.
post #87 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was in my local Best Buy this morning. Saw they had 1 of the new AFTV HDR's. Grabbed it!

I have a Denon X2200W that I plug all my devices into - an NVidia Shield TV and Roku Ultra and now the AFTV HDR.
I had a Fire TV 4K in the same chain and moved that to my basement TV. I plugged the new AFTV HDR into the same HDMI input as the orginal AFTV

First, under Settings -> Display and Sound there are some new setttings. I left the resolution to 4K Auto (I am hoping/assuming this implies auto frame rate switching). Under Depth there is 8 bit, 10 bit and 12 bit. 8 was the default so I changed it to 10 bit. Under Color Space it lets to select RGB (default) or YCbCr. I selected YCbCr.....

So, long story short - if you get one the next few days keep an eye out on the AFTV HDR getting stuck in HDR mode when it shouldn't. If it gets stuck you will either need to reset the box or try switching HDMI inputs - maybe the HDMI handshake gets things back to normal.

YCbCr? I'd suggest keeping it on RGB (default) and trying again. Thanks for the testing.

Edit: Sorry, my bad. I'm surprised they don't have an Auto setting for Color space rather than either YCbCr or RGB. Still the default is probably the safest for now.

Last edited by naustin; 10-25-2017 at 12:03 PM.
post #88 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Yes, I changed the bit depth from 10 bit to 12 bit. Same issue - HDR stays on after being enabled once.

I have posted this issue in the Amazon Digital and Device forum and had a quick chat with Amazon customer support - he was going to pass this on to Amazon engineering.

New device, new software - have to expect a few bumps. I would think this is a pretty easy fix.
Not sure what OS you are on, I have Fire OS 6.2.1.0. I was just talking to Amazon and apparently there is a 6.2.1.1. My Fire TV isn't finding it yet. I guess we can see if that fixes it!
post #89 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

First, under Settings -> Display and Sound there are some new setttings. I left the resolution to 4K Auto (I am hoping/assuming this implies auto frame rate switching). Under Depth there is 8 bit, 10 bit and 12 bit. 8 was the default so I changed it to 10 bit. Under Color Space it lets to select RGB (default) or YCbCr. I selected YCbCr.

Experiment #2
This time went into Amazon Video. Played Grand Tour. HDR mode goes on and Grand Tour looks great.
Stop playing video and exit to home screen.
HDR still on.... home screen and images are all blown out, over saturated...
Went back into Amazon Video and tried a non-HDR movie. HDR still enabled - move is not looking good ;-)
Reset AFTV HDR - back to normal.

Last experiment - Go into Amazon Video - play Grand Tour. HDR kicks in, looks good. Exit video and HDR still enabled.
This time, I changed the input on the Denon AVR from the AFTV HDR to any other input (in this case the Roku). Then, went back and selected the input the AFTV HDR is plugged into.
Interesting, HDR is now off and everything is back to normal.

As a side, the NVidia Shield is a good example of switching back and forth correctly. The Netflix app only switches into HDR mode when the source is HDR and exits as soon as you exit the movie. Kodi/SPMC (on the NVidia Shield) also handle gracefully going in and out of HDR mode when appropriate.

I have the X2200W also. did you try any DTS-HD videos? Using kodi i get no sound, so i was wondering if it was working via amazon movies if any exists. This is the main reason i bought the new HDR Firetv and was also was hoping the the ethernet would be 1gb, but it still looks to be 100 just like the old fire tv was...
post #90 of 547 Old 10-25-2017, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmproductions View Post
I have the X2200W also. did you try any DTS-HD videos? Using kodi i get no sound, so i was wondering if it was working via amazon movies if any exists. This is the main reason i bought the new HDR Firetv and was also was hoping the the ethernet would be 1gb, but it still looks to be 100 just like the old fire tv was...
There is a new version of Kodi http://www.aftvnews.com/kodi-version...droid-devices/
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page