Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #331 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post
As for the Fire Tablet mentioned, why even bother with the MA app at that point? All of your movies should be in your Amazon library at that point which the tablet has native access to.

As far as I know, only Amazon content shows up in the library. Every search I've done about adding "external" movies to an Amazon tablet involved an app. Flixster had worked well until recently, but now doesn't seem to. If you know of a way to get redeemed movie codes to work on a Fire tablet, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
As far as I know, only Amazon content shows up in the library. Every search I've done about adding "external" movies to an Amazon tablet involved an app. Flixster had worked well until recently, but now doesn't seem to. If you know of a way to get redeemed movie codes to work on a Fire tablet, please let me know.
If you link your Amazon account to the Movies Anywhere account, all of your Movies Anywhere movies should show up in your video library on amazon.

I don't have a fire tablet, but I can open up the Amazon Prime Videos app on my android device and see all of my movies directly under my library. The same is true on my FireTV or the amazon app on any other platform.
Spidacat likes this.
post #333 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sitrep.

I redeemed the UHD code for Starship Troopers on MA rather than SonyPictures.com. This is a movie that's available in UHD on Amazon, UHD on Google Play (with HDR) and HDX on Vudu.

Vudu, as expected, was only SD. Support ticket is open with that.
Amazon did HD, but so far I haven't seen any UHD redemptions with Amazon as they keep their UHD titles under different headings. I intend to take that up with support at some point.
Google Play was a smashing success. 4k HDR from my Chromecast Ultra.

So, this is confirmation that MA recognizes that the codes from older Sony Discs are UHD and will grant access when appropriate.

It makes me annoyed at the number of Sony discs I already redeemed on UV. Great, I have UHD rights in that locker but I'll never ever get to use them unless Vudu adds those movies in UHD or unless Sony opens up its Ultra service to more devices. A number of those movies ARE in 4k and HDR on Google Play, so by redeeming the codes I screwed myself out of getting those copies. I'm going to contact MA to see if there's anything at all that can be done, but likely not. What makes matters worse is Google doesn't allow you to buy a higher version if you already own another version.

If the movie is UHD on Vudu as well, I'm still probably going to redeem on Sony Picture's site for the UV rights because UHD will push through to other services. But if a Sony movie doesn't have a UHD Vudu copy, then I'm better off at this point redeeming directly on MA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Sony is slowly removing 4k option from itunes. Baby Driver, Prometheus and others are no londer 4k, only hd.
post #335 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
If you link your Amazon account to the Movies Anywhere account, all of your Movies Anywhere movies should show up in your video library on amazon.

I don't have a fire tablet, but I can open up the Amazon Prime Videos app on my android device and see all of my movies directly under my library. The same is true on my FireTV or the amazon app on any other platform.

Thank you bull3964! At the time of my earlier reply I hadn't yet created a MA account yet thinking I would need the app. After creating the account and linking to the other retailers (and rebooting the tablet) I now have my movies (will have to check the number and quality). I never noticed any of the retailers linking to Amazon before, so I never even thought it could happen.
curtisb likes this.
post #336 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Sony is slowly removing 4k option from itunes. Baby Driver, Prometheus and others are no londer 4k, only hd.
Any idea why?
post #337 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by stetsonaw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
is this the "secret" link to redeem Hacksaw Ridge in 4K UHD on vudu?
https://my.vudu.com/redeem.html?pdefid=30:6108
What about it? Still need a code.
I have a code. But I read there was a hidden link to redeem in uhd instead of hd.
post #338 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichLB View Post
Same thing purchased blade runner uhd direct from vudu shows everywhere but itunes.

I bought Blade Runner the final cut in HD from vudu. It shows up in the movie anywhere app, google play, and Amazon Video, but not in iTunes.
post #339 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1166
Ok so I have my spiderman homecoming UHD disc and code. I want to have iTunes and Vudu UHD copies. Where should I redeem? If I go to Sony redeem site you have a choice of redeeming through MA, Vudu, or Sony pictures store (don't have an account but can create one).

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #340 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekjewel View Post
I bought Blade Runner the final cut in HD from vudu. It shows up in the movie anywhere app, google play, and Amazon Video, but not in iTunes.

Same here. And I don’t want to have to buy it in iTunes for $14.99, even though that’s not a bad price.
post #341 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
this movie is now appearing in other services :-) Overall I'm pretty happy with this service. Used movieseverywhere app on my phone without any issue. Yes there are some kinks and still some confusion as to the best way to redeem a movie. I have a another question regarding Spider-man homecoming. I ordered the UHD Blu-ray and want to use the code to upgrade my HDX copy from VUDU to UHD. This will be interesting if it works. I wonder what would be the best way to redeem.
Quote:
Sitrep.
I redeemed the UHD code for Starship Troopers on MA rather than SonyPictures.com. This is a movie that's available in UHD on Amazon, UHD on Google Play (with HDR) and HDX on Vudu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Ok so I have my spiderman homecoming UHD disc and code. I want to have iTunes and Vudu UHD copies. Where should I redeem? If I go to Sony redeem site you have a choice of redeeming through MA, Vudu, or Sony pictures store (don't have an account but can create one).
If you follow the directions on the UHD Blu-ray Spider-Man Homecoming redemption certificate it asks you to go to sonypictures.com/redeem. The default selection is to MoviesAnywhere to redeem if you fill out the code on the sonypictures.com/redeem site so they seem to be deprioritizing their own redemption site which they had seemed to have been prioritizing prior to MA. (edited this part as I noticed step one is a highlighted selection, not a link-out)

I followed the instructions and entered the code after it took me to moviesanywhere. It was successful so I immediately went to VUDU and saw it there registered as UHD. I then went to UVVU.com and saw it there registered as UHD. It shows up in Amazon and Google Play/YouTube but the web pages doesn't give us resolution information on UHD and I don't have a device that will tell me what they store it at. (I can't see iTunes yet due to bugs we are waiting on them to fix). The sonypicturesstore.com site also had the movie immediately (as I linked it to UV previously) but also didn't show the resolution though I'm not at all concerned since UVVU and VUDU showed UHD when redeeming via MA so it is registered correctly.

Last edited by curtisb; 10-18-2017 at 01:51 AM.
post #342 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good to hear.

That lends even more credence to my theory about Vudu's SD copies.

When you say it was UHD in UVVU, did it list all three resolutions in UVVU (SD, HD, UHD) or did it JUST show UHD?

I really wish I could go back in time and save all my Sony UHD codes to redeem on the MA site. There's a bunch of movies that are available in UHD on Google Play that I own and have UHD UV redemption on UVVU, but they won't even show up in Google Play unless Vudu adds the in UHD.
post #343 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
If you follow the directions on the redemption certificate, sonypictures.com/redeem takes you to moviesanywhere to redeem if you fill out the information there so they seem to be getting deprioritizing their own redemption site which they had seemed to have been prioritizing prior to MA.

I followed the instructions and entered the code after it took me to moviesanywhere. It was successful so I immediately went to VUDU and saw it there registered as UHD. I then went to UVVU.com and saw it there registered as UHD. It shows up in Amazon and Google Play/YouTube but the web pages doesn't give us resolution information on UHD and I don't have a device that will tell me what they store it at. The sonypicturesstore.com site also had the movie immediately (as I linked it to UV previously) but also didn't show the resolution though I'm not at all concerned since UVVU and VUDU showed UHD when redeeming via MA so it is registered correctly.
Thanks. I’m sure multiple methods may work but after reading some of the discussions on last couple pages I wound up redeeming through Sony store after creating an account and linking it to my UV account. Some feel this may better lock in the UHD rights. Well it did work. Immediately showed up in VUdu as uhd. Didn’t port initially to MA but I disconnected and reconnected my Vudu account then it showed up in MA and iTunes. iTunes is also playing 4K/DV. So all good.
curtisb and cydeweyz like this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #344 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Thanks. I’m sure multiple methods may work but after reading some of the discussions on last couple pages I wound up redeeming through Sony store after creating an account and linking it to my UV account. Some feel this may better lock in the UHD rights. Well it did work. Immediately showed up in VUdu as uhd. Didn’t port initially to MA but I disconnected and reconnected my Vudu account then it showed up in MA and iTunes. iTunes is also playing 4K/DV. So all good.
It was better/the only way to see UHD when discs like Ghostbusters (2016) was released as Sony was trying some irritating thing to get you to use their movie site by locking in UHD access. As you note, the UV link to the sonypicturesstore works for now but given my result, I'm going to be just doing any future title via the MA site, especially since Sony is now directing you there as the primary site.
It also gets rid of the possible concern bull3964 mentioned where you may not be syncing UHD to Amazon/Google/iTunes if VUDU doesn't have it as UHD (though that concern may not apply to any future titles).
post #345 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Good to hear.

That lends even more credence to my theory about Vudu's SD copies.

When you say it was UHD in UVVU, did it list all three resolutions in UVVU (SD, HD, UHD) or did it JUST show UHD?

I really wish I could go back in time and save all my Sony UHD codes to redeem on the MA site. There's a bunch of movies that are available in UHD on Google Play that I own and have UHD UV redemption on UVVU, but they won't even show up in Google Play unless Vudu adds the in UHD.
It shows as all resolutions available (see attached clip of VUDU site on top of UVVU site).

No idea why Sony hasn't worked out the UHD issues on those early titles with VUDU yet. At least it is in UVVU as UHD if you redeemed it on the Sony site so hopefully, now that they seem to have stopped trying to lock us into their site for UHD, the issue will be resolved soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spidey.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	2300164  
post #346 of 772 Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a feeling part of the issue with Vudu is being Dolby Vision only. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these missing UHD Sony movies would pop up in Vudu if/when they do HDR10.

Sony was pushing people to their Ultra service, but their strategy never made much sense there since they only made the service available on their own TVs and a very select cross section of intel processors on PC. That's really not the way to sell movies.
curtisb and cydeweyz like this.
post #347 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
It was better/the only way to see UHD when discs like Ghostbusters (2016) was released as Sony was trying some irritating thing to get you to use their movie site by locking in UHD access. As you note, the UV link to the sonypicturesstore works for now but given my result, I'm going to be just doing any future title via the MA site, especially since Sony is now directing you there as the primary site.
It also gets rid of the possible concern bull3964 mentioned where you may not be syncing UHD to Amazon/Google/iTunes if VUDU doesn't have it as UHD (though that concern may not apply to any future titles).
I certainly hope your way of going through MA will consistently get you access to the highest quality copy available (if using a uhd disc redeem) on all connected services. That’s how it should be. Guess the dust has to settle a bit and it will be a little messy before it gets simple.
curtisb and Spinningbull like this.

post #348 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling part of the issue with Vudu is being Dolby Vision only. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these missing UHD Sony movies would pop up in Vudu if/when they do HDR10.
Well crap. I don't recall being aware that they weren't support any HDR10-only content (I assume that will mean no HDR10+ either). It is a plausible explanation for the discrepancy for sure, though also a bad one in that it would mean that there isn't likely to be a near term VUDU fix. I doubt Sony is going to put the money into doing a DV version just for VUDU. If Sonystore were to link directly to Movies Anywhere as it does UV, that would resolve the issue on other services but I'm not betting on that happening.
post #349 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
@jasonmichaelh

Install Xcode on your Mac. Then choose on the ATV to connect to the Mac in the Remotes area of the settings menu on the ATV. Then accept the connnection request on the Mac. Then in the settings menu on the ATV in the Developer section enable the HUD.
can this be done on the apple tv 4 HD? I tried it and didnt see the option to connect to my MAC.
post #350 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
can this be done on the apple tv 4 HD? I tried it and didnt see the option to connect to my MAC.
With the older AppleTV you have to use a USB-C cable and physically connect your Mac to the device.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #351 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Color me confused! Yesterday morning I purchased Spider-Man 3 movie collection (Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 & Spider-Man 3 (4K Ultra HD).
The redemption code was supposed to be redeemed on sonypictures.com/redeem - but that just led to MA.
Registered the code but not seeing my content as UHD on Vudu, just HDX/HD. I am perplexed.

I will keep purchasing content on disc as I prefer the audio & video options much more than any streamer box has yet to offer.
As a consumer, I find the whole process frustrating in redeeming these codes then wondering what the heck you are going to get! Seems hit & miss.
post #352 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
Color me confused! Yesterday morning I purchased Spider-Man 3 movie collection (Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2 & Spider-Man 3 (4K Ultra HD).
The redemption code was supposed to be redeemed on sonypictures.com/redeem - but that just led to MA.
Registered the code but not seeing my content as UHD on Vudu, just HDX/HD. I am perplexed.

I will keep purchasing content on disc as I prefer the audio & video options much more than any streamer box has yet to offer.
As a consumer, I find the whole process frustrating in redeeming these codes then wondering what the heck you are going to get! Seems hit & miss.
Vudu doesn't carry those movies in UHD, that's why you would only see them in HDX on there. Wouldn't matter where you redeemed the code.

That said, your code redemption should be UHD in your account so if any of the services started offering those movies in 4k HDR, you should automatically get access to them.
post #353 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Vudu doesn't carry those movies in UHD, that's why you would only see them in HDX on there. Wouldn't matter where you redeemed the code.

That said, your code redemption should be UHD in your account so if any of the services started offering those movies in 4k HDR, you should automatically get access to them.
The code redemption not being UHD in my account is what bothers me - not sure how to even go about rectifying that issue.
post #354 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2802 Post(s)
Liked: 1990
Which account? MA or VUDU?

If you don't see UHD on MA, contact MA customer service. If you don't see it on Vudu, that's correct if Vudu doesn't carry the UHD version.
post #355 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2802 Post(s)
Liked: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post
Can someone with the developer hub enabled on the Apple TV check The Lego Movie that came free with the Movies Anywhere sign up and see if plays back in 4K?
Quote:
I have an:
  • ATV5 (aka 4k)
  • ATV4
  • ATV3

It works on ATV5 and 4 but not on the 3 for me. Exact same process.

Last edited by nathan_h; 10-18-2017 at 07:11 AM.
post #356 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
The code redemption not being UHD in my account is what bothers me - not sure how to even go about rectifying that issue.
As asked, which account?

You won't see UHD in your UVVU account unless Vudu adds it (which would then push UVVU rights through to UV.)

MA, there's no way to see the quality you redeemed at, but so far things look to be correct for Sony titles. It's almost certainly in your MA account as UHD, but the only digital service that carries it in UHD right now is iTunes. So, you can't actually verify unless you have a new AppleTV.

Technically, Google Play has Spiderman 3 in 4k (but not HDR) so even if you had a Chromecast ultra, there's not really a way to determine if your source stream is 4k or not. HDR is the giveaway there, but Spiderman 3 in Google Play doesn't have HDR. It's only 4k.

I would rest easy for now that you have UHD redeemed. If you later get a new AppleTV or vudu adds the titles in UHD and you don't have access, raise the support ticket with MA about it.
wxchaser likes this.
post #357 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Which account? MA or VUDU?

If you don't see UHD on MA, contact MA customer service. If you don't see it on Vudu, that's correct if Vudu doesn't carry the UHD version.
SD is all I see on MA, thanks for explaining why content not in UHD on Vudu. On iTunes, I get 4K HDR content for all 3 of the first 3 Spider-Man movies.

I will try to contact MA via phone or chat this morning - thanks Nathan.
post #358 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
As asked, which account?

You won't see UHD in your UVVU account unless Vudu adds it (which would then push UVVU rights through to UV.)

MA, there's no way to see the quality you redeemed at, but so far things look to be correct for Sony titles. It's almost certainly in your MA account as UHD, but the only digital service that carries it in UHD right now is iTunes. So, you can't actually verify unless you have a new AppleTV.

Technically, Google Play has Spiderman 3 in 4k (but not HDR) so even if you had a Chromecast ultra, there's not really a way to determine if your source stream is 4k or not. HDR is the giveaway there, but Spiderman 3 in Google Play doesn't have HDR. It's only 4k.

I would rest easy for now that you have UHD redeemed. If you later get a new AppleTV or vudu adds the titles in UHD and you don't have access, raise the support ticket with MA about it.
I am seeing the content in 4K HDR in iTunes on ATV4K while MA shows SD only.
post #359 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:27 AM

How do you contact MA? Having trouble finding their phone number or online chat resources this morning.
post #360 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekjewel View Post
I bought it on iTunes (it was on sale for $9.99 a little while ago) and it isn't showing up in MA so there must be mapping problem of some kind.

Steve Martin
former ISF Calibrator
If you can see my pixels, you are sitting too close.
Sony XBR75X940D, Sony XBR55X930D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo BDP-93,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page