Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #361 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:33 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9312 Post(s)
Liked: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post
Sitrep.

I redeemed the UHD code for Starship Troopers on MA rather than SonyPictures.com. This is a movie that's available in UHD on Amazon, UHD on Google Play (with HDR) and HDX on Vudu.

Vudu, as expected, was only SD. Support ticket is open with that.
Amazon did HD, but so far I haven't seen any UHD redemptions with Amazon as they keep their UHD titles under different headings. I intend to take that up with support at some point.
Google Play was a smashing success. 4k HDR from my Chromecast Ultra.

So, this is confirmation that MA recognizes that the codes from older Sony Discs are UHD and will grant access when appropriate.

It makes me annoyed at the number of Sony discs I already redeemed on UV. Great, I have UHD rights in that locker but I'll never ever get to use them unless Vudu adds those movies in UHD or unless Sony opens up its Ultra service to more devices. A number of those movies ARE in 4k and HDR on Google Play, so by redeeming the codes I screwed myself out of getting those copies. I'm going to contact MA to see if there's anything at all that can be done, but likely not. What makes matters worse is Google doesn't allow you to buy a higher version if you already own another version.

If the movie is UHD on Vudu as well, I'm still probably going to redeem on Sony Picture's site for the UV rights because UHD will push through to other services. But if a Sony movie doesn't have a UHD Vudu copy, then I'm better off at this point redeeming directly on MA.
When you redeemed the Starship Troopers code, did it show up on the Sony site too?

I just redeemed that code this morning from the Ultra app. It showed up right away in my UV locker with the UHD streaming rights, and in HDX on Vudu. But so far it has not shown up in Movies Anywhere.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
How do you contact MA? Having trouble finding their phone number or online chat resources this morning.
Disregard I found the info I needed:

https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/e...Customer-Care-
post #363 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
How does one check the MA resolution rights?

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Sony is slowly removing 4k option from iTunes. Baby Driver, Prometheus and others are no londer 4k, only hd.
I'm not sure this is true, are you talking about removing 4k completely from iTunes or just removing 4k MA rights? I don't own Baby Driver but, I just checked the iTunes store and it is still listed as 4k/DV. Also, Prometheus is not a Sony movie, it's Fox. Honestly, I just think it is a bug/error that some people are not seeing 4k on some eligible titles and I think it will get worked overtime (hopefully).

I'm frustrated that I can't get X-Men Origins to port from iTunes to MA. It is the only title that hasn't ported which means it is my last SD title that hasn't upgraded to HD. The MA site list it as eligible but doesn't detect it in iTunes. MA CS just gives me a can response and doesn't address my specific question.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus

Last edited by rolltide1017; 10-18-2017 at 07:00 AM.
post #365 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
I'm not sure this is true, are you talking about removing 4k completely from iTunes or just removing 4k MA rights? I don't own Baby Driver but, I just checked the iTunes store and it is still listed as 4k/DV. Also, Prometheus is not a Sony movie, it's Fox. Honestly, I just think it is a bug/error that some people are not seeing 4k on some eligible titles and I think it will get worked overtime (hopefully).
I know for Baby Driver it dropped to HD for last couple days but now back at 4K/DV so not sure what is going on.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #366 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
confusion seems to be a common thread since the Apple4k tv was released. So what I'm reading now is if the movie is labeled as 4k HDR or Dolby Vision you may not necessarily be getting the 4k HDR signal on your 4k apple tv? one thing i did notice which i posted about earlier is the movie hacksaw ridge is now labeled as HD in itunes when previously it was labeled as DV HDR. Not sure if my digital copy was downgraded from HDR to HD or if Apple just no longer owns the HDR version of this movie. Can anyone confirm what HD label they see on Hacksaw Ridge, HD or HDR?
did you figure this out? i'm trying to figure out where to redeem my code in the UHD disc box so i can get UHD quality stream.
post #367 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
My bad about Prometheus, don't know why I was thinking it was Sony. But I own it in iTunes (not MA). It was in 4k and now just regular HD (including movie store page). So as multiple other movies including the ones that got ported from MA got downgraded to HD. I do hope this is just a bug and not some rights dispute between movie companies and Apple.
post #368 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked: 6165
Quote:
My bad about Prometheus, don't know why I was thinking it was Sony. But I own it in iTunes (not MA). It was in 4k and now just regular HD (including movie store page). So as multiple other movies including the ones that got ported from MA got downgraded to HD. I do hope this is just a bug and not some rights dispute between movie companies and Apple.

Baby Driver had reverted to HD for days and was just back to 4k this am.

Prometheus was 4k, then HD, then 4k and now HD again. Who knows what’s going on. A number of titles are stuck in this loop but numbers have been fixed as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #369 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Movies purchased at iTunes (cash or code) should allow streaming in 4k when Apple has the 4k available. But they created a nice loophole with that. You are technically just buying the HD rights, and they are only charging you for HD rights, and if they come or go in 4k, well, you didn't buy the 4k rights...... That said, I would open a ticket with Apple any time something disappears.

--

Separately, if you have a HD movie via MA, it shouldn't and won't get the complimentary "if it's available upgrade" to 4k on iTunes/ATV streaming. That appears to be by design. It's not clear if that is a choice by Apple or a requirement of their licensing agreements with the studios, or MA, or some combination. Not a bug. A "feature".

(Trust me, I wish this wasn't true since I have a lot of HD movies on Vudu that are available as 4k streams on iTunes but they only ported over from MA as HD and Apple is not letting the stream ramp up to 4k. They were, for a while at least, allowing the HD stream to contain HDR metadata, which hopefully was real. Fro the developer HUD is sure looks like it was.)
post #370 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since this is an MA topic and the Mods have asked that we discuss MA stuff in the MA thread, continuing this here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I am aware. It's also showing 4k on developer tools. People have posted the screen shots posted above with the stats and even on the same movie people are getting different results. They're all getting HDR which is part of the UHD streams but the resolution from person to person varies.
In a thread over at Mac rumors someone posted a shot of pacific rim in full 4k from vudu on the atv.
Quote:
It's not the main news story. It's in the forums. There are many threads on the MA topic. I'll have to dig through it later to find what I'm talking about.
I look forward to learning more. We've seen a dozen tests here showing that if one had as HD copy of a movie on another service, like Vudu, that it ports over to iTunes fine BUT will not play back at 4k even if Apple has a 4k version.
post #371 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 AM

I was able to contact MA via chat support this morning and they are escalating my ticket.

They had me disconnect & reconnect the Vudu account but the content did not change.

I also checked the Vudu app and MA app from the ATV4K for them and no content changes there either.

Here are a few snippets from the chat conversation if they happen to help anyone else:

So right now Movies Anywhere does not support 4K streaming

Eligible UHD Digital Copy codes will flow to your connected Digital Retailers, some of which support UHD!

This being said, we have heard of some cases where this isn't happening, and the team is actively looking into this further as we speak

Okay, it's looking like they should all be the HD format on your account

You can try disconnecting your VUDU account, force closing the apps/closing the browsers and then reconnecting it to see if it pulls over the right version

Alrighty. Do not worry, I'll be escalating this with our team as we've had a couple similar reports
post #372 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
I am seeing the content in 4K HDR in iTunes on ATV4K while MA shows SD only.
How are you determining MA is SD only? MA doesn't show the resolution of the redemption. Are you playing it back in the MA app and only getting SD?

I just want to make sure you are talking about MA and not Vudu or UV. If it's Vudu/UV, it's a known issue with vudu at this time and being worked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When you redeemed the Starship Troopers code, did it show up on the Sony site too?

I just redeemed that code this morning from the Ultra app. It showed up right away in my UV locker with the UHD streaming rights, and in HDX on Vudu. But so far it has not shown up in Movies Anywhere.
Currently, it only shows up on the Sony site as SD until Vudu sorts out the SD issues they are having. It won't ever show up on Sony's site as UHD unless Vudu adds it in UHD.

Really, here's where we are.

1) Redeem Sony title on MA, you get UHD rights in MA which should port to any of the connected services in the highest quality they have.

2) Redeem Sony title in UV, you get UHD rights in UV but it only ports to any of the connected MA services at the highest quality Vudu has.

With #1 , you won't get UHD rights in UV (and therefore Ultra) unless Vudu carries it in UHD.

With #2 , you won't get UHD rights in MA (and therefore Google Play or iTunes) unless Vudu carries it in UHD.

So, if you have your egg's in Ultra's basket and/or have hope that Vudu will add all the current UHD Sony titles, UV redemption makes the most sense.

If you don't expect to ever get access to Ultra due to its low availability and don't want to count on Vudu ever adding those titles. You are better off redeeming on MA.

I'm actually not really all that bothered about the current SD issue in Vudu because I still have it in HD or higher in Amazon, Google Play, and the MA app directly. I want the SD issue in Vudu to be resolved for completeness sake, but it's not impacting me in any meaningful way as all the places I'm likely to play the digital copy runs the other three services better than Vudu anyways.

Noticed I've left Amazon out of the whole UHD redemption debate because they currently have major issues with title mapping since they keep UHD and HD movies under separate titles. At some point I'll get up enough energy to open up a support ticket about it with them, but for now I've gotten enough confirmation though Google Play that UHD is being redeemed properly that I'm not worrying about it.

At the end of the day, my digital copies are mostly about mobile and about playback on other screens in the house that are not UHD. So, playback of UHD isn't strictly necessary. I just want to be sure I'm positioning myself the best way I can moving forward though.

Best case scenario would be for Sony to link Ultra (Sony Pictures Store) to MA and then all the rights will cross pollinate. I just don't know if that's feasible since Sony only has Sony movies through their service and we don't know the terms of MA linking membership.
aaronwt and hollandjw like this.

Last edited by bull3964; 10-18-2017 at 08:01 AM.
post #373 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Movies purchased at iTunes (cash or code) should allow streaming in 4k when Apple has the 4k available. But they created a nice loophole with that. You are technically just buying the HD rights, and they are only charging you for HD rights, and if they come or go in 4k, well, you didn't buy the 4k rights...... That said, I would open a ticket with Apple any time something disappears.
And we should all prefix these statements as speculation because we still don’t know what’s actually going on. Evidence is if you look in your purchase history you will see 4K HDR as the purchase type. So maybe we have rights and bugs and features?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #374 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked: 6165
Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service

More info in a bit in some other titles.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #375 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
And we should all prefix these statements as speculation because we still don’t know what’s actually going on. Evidence is if you look in your purchase history you will see 4K HDR as the purchase type. So maybe we have rights and bugs and features?

Unless you bought Guardians on iTunes or with an iTunes code, this is just the normal confusion that Apple is creating in iTunes. If you play that back on iTunes and you only have a copy on iTunes because you acquired an HD copy at some other MA retailer or MA itself, it will only play back as HD on iTunes.

This appears to be by design and Apple's interface is the "bug".

But I would love to be wrong or see this change and opening a ticket with Apple saying "Hey, see, it should be playing in 4k but it's not" might get things to change in a positive direction.

TL;DR the bug here is what Apple is reporting in your iTunes history.
post #376 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just signed up for the MA and it went pretty smoothly. In the MA app I have almost all the titles from all my connected services. When I go into iTunes some of the titles are showing but some are not. I guess it may take some time to sync? I'd rather just use iTunes instead of using the MA app but we shall see how the sync goes.

This is a big game changer and it seems that MA is only in the first phase. Once all the studios get onboard and the UHD/HDR/4K etc issues get ironed out it will make life so much easier. For the casual consumer this is great.

75" Samsung UN75MU6300, Yamaha TSR-5810, BA CR7 fronts, BA CR1 Center, BA micros surrounds, ELAC A4 presence, Samsung UBD-M9500, Directv HR-54 system, Apple TV 4K
post #377 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
gotcha. i still have the code from the UHD disc, maybe better off redeeming in itunes to get 4k DV. it's no longer showing DV available in Vudu.
I don't have direct experience yet but others are reporting pretty consistently that redeeming the UHD code on the MA site is the best way to ensure that UHD copies show up on the services that support it.
post #378 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I have the 3 Spiderman movies on Amazon in 4k. They are available in iTunes in 4k but they didn't port over in 4k even though Amazon is a Movies Anywhere retailer. Anyone know why this is or who I should contact, Movies Anywhere?

Also, anyone know if the 4k titles that you own on the Sony Ultra app are porting over to any retailers in 4k?
I redeemed a couple of Sony UHD codes on the Sony site before the MA system rolled out. Those are showing up in UHD on Vudu, but just as HD on iTunes, but Apple doesn't have UHD versions of them (yet?) so this may be consistent and expected and if/when Apple has UHD copies of Crouching Tiger and The Shallows, I would expect to be able to stream them in UHD on iTunes.
post #379 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallFaulk28 View Post
Wow, I've read several pages of this thread trying to understand the 4K/non-4K stuff with movies not purchased/redeemed in iTunes. So confusing. I agree Apple needs to streamline this experience. I'll give them a pass for now since this is new for them, but I hope this is fixed in the future.

I checked all my content last night, and it seems to be consistent with what's said here. The stuff coming in from MA all shows "HD" when swiping down. There is one odd exception though. My Ghost In the Shell which is an HDX copy redeemed at Vudu shows 4K Dolby Vision on Apple. I don't have these developer tools to really confirm that, but that's what the swipe down menu says. Is this a glitch?

On a separate note, for HD titles, are we actually getting HDR despite not getting 4K? This I cannot tell. None of mine are labeled as such anyway.
For a while such content was playing back at HD resolution but ALSO with genuine HDR (as confirmed in the developers HUD on ATV) but now they appear to be SDR HD on iTunes. Not sure what happened, but that is an unfortunate change.
post #380 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Unless you bought Guardians on iTunes or with an iTunes code, this is just the normal confusion that Apple is creating in iTunes. If you play that back on iTunes and you only have a copy on iTunes because you acquired an HD copy at some other MA retailer or MA itself, it will only play back as HD on iTunes.

This appears to be by design and Apple's interface is the "bug".

But I would love to be wrong or see this change and opening a ticket with Apple saying "Hey, see, it should be playing in 4k but it's not" might get things to change in a positive direction.

TL;DR the bug here is what Apple is reporting in your iTunes history.
I think it’s a deliberate decision they put rights your purchase history, so you can refer back to that. Nevertheless there is a bug somewhere. I’ve never seen this movie show up as 4K HDR. That’s what I’m hoping will happen.

post #381 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I redeemed a couple of Sony UHD codes on the Sony site before the MA system rolled out. Those are showing up in UHD on Vudu, but just as HD on iTunes, but Apple doesn't have UHD versions of them (yet?) so this may be consistent and expected and if/when Apple has UHD copies of Crouching Tiger and The Shallows, I would expect to be able to stream them in UHD on iTunes.
Which Sony movies are you seeing in UHD on Vudu? AFAIK, Baby Driver and Spiderman Homecoming are the only two Sony UHD titles on Vudu and they are very recent.
post #382 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
How are you determining MA is SD only? MA doesn't show the resolution of the redemption. Are you playing it back in the MA app and only getting SD?

I just want to make sure you are talking about MA and not Vudu or UV. If it's Vudu/UV, it's a known issue with vudu at this time and being worked on.

Currently, it only shows up on the Sony site as SD until Vudu sorts out the SD issues they are having. It won't ever show up on Sony's site as UHD unless Vudu adds it in UHD.

1) Redeem Sony title on MA, you get UHD rights in MA which should port to any of the connected services in the highest quality they have.

2) Redeem Sony title in UV, you get UHD rights in UV but it only ports to any of the connected MA services at the highest quality Vudu has.

With #1 , you won't get UHD rights in UV (and therefore Ultra) unless Vudu carries it in UHD.

With #2 , you won't get UHD rights in MA (and therefore Google Play or iTunes) unless Vudu carries it in UHD.

So, if you have your egg's in Ultra's basket and/or have hope that Vudu will add all the current UHD Sony titles, UV redemption makes the most sense.

If you don't expect to ever get access to Ultra due to its low availability and don't want to count on Vudu ever adding those titles. You are better off redeeming on MA.

I'm actually not really all that bothered about the current SD issue in Vudu because I still have it in HD or higher in Amazon, Google Play, and the MA app directly. I want the SD issue in Vudu to be resolved for completeness sake, but it's not impacting me in any meaningful way as all the places I'm likely to play the digital copy runs the other three services better than Vudu anyways.

Noticed I've left Amazon out of the whole UHD redemption debate because they currently have major issues with title mapping since they keep UHD and HD movies under separate titles. At some point I'll get up enough energy to open up a support ticket about it with them, but for now I've gotten enough confirmation though Google Play that UHD is being redeemed properly that I'm not worrying about it.

At the end of the day, my digital copies are mostly about mobile and about playback on other screens in the house that are not UHD. So, playback of UHD isn't strictly necessary. I just want to be sure I'm positioning myself the best way I can moving forward though.

Best case scenario would be for Sony to link Ultra (Sony Pictures Store) to MA and then all the rights will cross pollinate. I just don't know if that's feasible since Sony only has Sony movies through their service and we don't know the terms of MA linking membership.
MA was only playing back in SD and confirmed that with MA customer support. I was running debug through Xcode off an iMac, while using the ATV4K (they had me test in MA app and Vudu app).

Just received an email from MA support:

I have collected your information and passed this along to our team. You should notice the change to your account in the next 24-72 hours, or if we hear back I will send you another message.

By the way @bull3964 - I really appreciate you researching all this and posting it so we all are aware of this information. It is a huge asset to the site, thank you.
post #383 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

This is brilliant, thanks for the summary. I've been having a real headache the past 2 days trying to outline this, as I had the same situation with Ghostbusters 1984 UHD code, redeemed via SonyPicturesStore.com. Mine's exactly as you're describing: Sony and UV show UHD entitlement, and VUDU only shows HDX. MA must be getting the 4K entitlement info from VUDU, and as such, Ghostbusters only plays back in HD on the Apple TV 4K. Arrgh...

I'm an Apple TV 4K user, and will probably never leave that platform. With that in mind, do you recommend that going forward I redeem all Sony UHD codes via MA?

EDIT: also, what happens if you try to redeem a UHD code for a HD title you already have in your MA? If I redeem (for example) Pacific Rim UHD via MA, will it override the HDX version that MA sees in VUDU?

Last edited by Sam S; 10-18-2017 at 08:49 AM.
post #384 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One thread disucssing the issues with both itunes purchased and ported to itunes:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...re-hd.2076039/

Pages of discussion if anyone cares:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-live.2077159/
Thanks. Yep, I went through every page of those threads and they are confirming:

UHD on Vudu ports over and plays as 4k on iTunes
HD on Vudu ports over and plays as 2k on iTunes

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-25213870
wxchaser and ZephyrForza79 like this.
post #385 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which Sony movies are you seeing in UHD on Vudu? AFAIK, Baby Driver and Spiderman Homecoming are the only two Sony UHD titles on Vudu and they are very recent.
Sorry about that, I was confused. I thought I saw SALT and The Shallows in UHD there, but must have had a brain fart since I just went and looked and neither were in UHD.
post #386 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
I'm an Apple TV 4K user, and will probably never leave that platform. With that in mind, do you recommend that going forward I redeem all Sony UHD codes via MA?
That is going to be my strategy because from where I'm sitting I'll never have access to the Ultra app.

If Vudu ever adds the title in UHD in the future, MA should grant UHD access and UHD UV rights will push through to UV (assuming UV is still a thing at that point.) UHD rights in UV are essentially useless to me without Vudu supporting UHD. UHD rights in MA, on the other hand, have proven to redeem 4k HDR in iTunes and Google Play if available. I also know Google is constantly upgrading titles. When I first bought ST:II TWOK in 4k from Google Play many months ago, it was only 4k at the time. They later added HDR to it. Now, that's Paramount, so no MA, but it shows that Google is updating their older titles with 4k HDR in at least some cases. If UHD rights are in MA, titles should upgrade automatically when the newer versions show up in the other services.
post #387 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
This is brilliant, thanks for the summary. I've been having a real headache the past 2 days trying to outline this, as I had the same situation with Ghostbusters 1984 UHD code, redeemed via SonyPicturesStore.com. Mine's exactly as you're describing: Sony and UV show UHD entitlement, and VUDU only shows HDX. MA must be getting the 4K entitlement info from VUDU, and as such, Ghostbusters only plays back in HD on the Apple TV 4K. Arrgh...

EDIT: also, what happens if you try to redeem a UHD code for a HD title you already have in your MA? If I redeem (for example) Pacific Rim UHD via MA, will it override the HDX version that MA sees in VUDU?
Sony is tough. I thought I heard that MA Sony redeems where going to iTunes in HD because those weren't direct iTunes redeems?

MA won't allow you to redeem a code for a movie you own. iTunes will though, and it's a way to upgrade HD to 4K in iTunes.

The sooner the movie studios and retailers agree to just simply sell a "Digital Movie" the better huh? Let's the customers device/internet determine the quality. It would have saved so much of this confusion. I know it'll never happen....but a man can dream right?
post #388 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think my Sony UHD redeems are showing up as 4k on playback in ATV iTunes because the movies don't exist as 4k options in iTunes (The Shallows and Salt) but I would expect, based on all the available evidence, that they SHOULD play as 4k if/when Apple gets them.

But I agree it's all a bit of an unclear mess!
post #389 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
I don't think my Sony UHD redeems are showing up as 4k on playback in ATV iTunes because the movies don't exist as 4k options in iTunes (The Shallows and Salt) but I would expect, based on all the available evidence, that they SHOULD play as 4k if/when Apple gets them.

But I agree it's all a bit of an unclear mess!
Actually, unless it's UHD in Vudu, it won't be 4K iTunes (even if iTunes has it in 4K) - since MA is looking at your Vudu library, not Sony UV.
post #390 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
For a while such content was playing back at HD resolution but ALSO with genuine HDR (as confirmed in the developers HUD on ATV) but now they appear to be SDR HD on iTunes. Not sure what happened, but that is an unfortunate change.
Ah, that is an unfortunate change. HDR even with the HD copy would have been nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page