Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #391 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
EDIT: also, what happens if you try to redeem a UHD code for a HD title you already have in your MA? If I redeem (for example) Pacific Rim UHD via MA, will it override the HDX version that MA sees in VUDU?
It should, but I haven't been able to test that specific use case yet since I don't have any movies that fall under this.

However, I have seen the reverse happen just fine. I already owned Lego Movie in UHD from a disc redemption in Vudu. When I first linked the accounts, Vudu was having issues so it didn't get linked until later. So, at first I only had itunes, amazon, and Google Play linked to MA. At that time, Lego Movie would only play in HD from google play since that's the copy they gifted. After my Vudu account got linked up, it updated MA with UHD rights and my google Play copy of Lego Movie became 4k HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
MA won't allow you to redeem a code for a movie you own. iTunes will though, and it's a way to upgrade HD to 4K in iTunes.
That's not the case in my experience.

I already owned Close Encounters of the Third Kind in HD before I redeemed the UHD code and the UHD redeemed without issue on MA.
Sam S and curtisb like this.
post #393 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post
That's not the case in my experience.

I already owned Close Encounters of the Third Kind in HD before I redeemed the UHD code and the UHD redeemed without issue on MA.
Was the UHD code for a different version of the movie? I know there are like 3 versions of Close Encounters in Vudu.

I bought a couple iTunes codes to test trying to get higher quality. Each time I tried to redeem on MA, it complained I already owned the movie. I needed to redeem in iTunes for them to take.

Curious, did you get the 4K version of that MA redeem in iTunes? And does it play in 4K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Was the UHD code for a different version of the movie? I know there are like 3 versions of Close Encounters in Vudu.
It redeemed all three (one of which I already had).

I can't comment on iTunes as I own zero Apple products and have no plans on owning any. I have an iTunes account that's linked, but that's the extent of it.
post #395 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It redeemed all three (one of which I already had).

I can't comment on iTunes as I own zero Apple products and have no plans on owning any. I have an iTunes account that's linked, but that's the extent of it.
Maybe that's why it let you redeem, since it gave other copies. I'll have to find a cheap code and test at some point again to see if things changed.

MA sounds like at some point it might be the place to redeem codes, unless they are HD codes and you want 4K in iTunes.
post #396 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can actually try out The Fifth Element tonight as I own it in UHD and never redeemed the code but I already own the Fifth Element in HD.
nathan_h likes this.
post #397 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
That is going to be my strategy because from where I'm sitting I'll never have access to the Ultra app.

If Vudu ever adds the title in UHD in the future, MA should grant UHD access and UHD UV rights will push through to UV (assuming UV is still a thing at that point.) UHD rights in UV are essentially useless to me without Vudu supporting UHD. UHD rights in MA, on the other hand, have proven to redeem 4k HDR in iTunes and Google Play if available. I also know Google is constantly upgrading titles. When I first bought ST:II TWOK in 4k from Google Play many months ago, it was only 4k at the time. They later added HDR to it. Now, that's Paramount, so no MA, but it shows that Google is updating their older titles with 4k HDR in at least some cases. If UHD rights are in MA, titles should upgrade automatically when the newer versions show up in the other services.
What do you plan on doing for Fox UHD titles? If you redeem via Fox Connect, you get the option of redeeming via iTunes, which does give you 4K for Apple. But of course the VUDU version is chopped down to SD. I don't really care about that part.... I guess I'm just asking if we think using MA to redeem Fox titles will guarantee 4K for iTunes.
post #398 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 432
All the talk is Sony. But should we also take WB and other UHD codes to redeem on MA?

Does a Wonder Woman UHD code redeem in MA and give uhd on vudu and iTunes, for example?

For Fox, Universal, Lionsgate, and Paramount, seems we want to buy just cheaper HD codes and redeem on iTunes directly, if what we care about is uhd on iTunes more than anything.

What about Disney? If I redeem a GOG uhd code on MA, do I get uhd in vudu and iTunes?

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #399 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
All the talk is Sony. But should we also take WB and other UHD codes to redeem on MA?

Does a Wonder Woman UHD code redeem in MA and give uhd on vudu and iTunes, for example?

For Fox, Universal, Lionsgate, and Paramount, seems we want to buy just cheaper HD codes and redeem on iTunes directly, if what we care about is uhd on iTunes more than anything.

What about Disney? If I redeem a GOG uhd code on MA, do I get uhd in vudu and iTunes?
Honestly, it seems right now this is down to each movie being different, as well as where exactly you want the UHD rights.

I think safest bet for Wonder Woman would be direct Vudu redeem. This has been proven to give UHD on iTunes because MA sees you have UHD on Vudu.
Disney is another story. Seems in all this MA they screwed up their UHD redeems. I have seen reports of people redeeming Pirates 5 UHD on MA and only getting HD. EDIT: People also saying Disney telling them they don't do UHD codes. UHD codes mean you got the code on a UHD, not that it redeems in UHD. What a mess.

There were also reports that if it's a movie you do NOT own yet.....and it's UHD on Vudu and 4K on iTunes, you can redeem a 4K iTunes code and the UHD will get pushed to Vudu (assuming it's a studio that gives iTunes redeems).

Last edited by kbmb; 10-18-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #400 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I think safest bet for Wonder Woman would be direct Vudu redeem. This has been proven to give UHD on iTunes because MA sees you have UHD on Vudu.
I need to redeem my WW UHD code too. You think VUDU is safer than just via MA app?
post #401 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I need to redeem my WW UHD code too. You think VUDU is safer than just via MA app?
It's been confirmed that WW UHD redeems UHD directly on Vudu. (I did this, but it was before MA was rolled out)
It's been confirmed that having WW UHD in Vudu will port to iTunes as 4K. (Mine did)

Don't think I've read any confirmation on a WW MA redeem.

MA has told people if they redeem UHD on MA you are supposed to get 4K everywhere that has it. I just haven't done it yet.
Sam S likes this.
post #402 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What do you plan on doing for Fox UHD titles?
Don't really know yet. I'm not really likely to own an AppleTV, but at the same time I don't know if there are any cons with redeeming through iTunes. I still may hold off on them.

Quote:

There's no choice for Disney, you pretty much have to redeem on MA. But yes, it grants access to UHD where appropriate. Apple doesn't carry UHD Disney titles, so for GOTG2, it will be UHD on Vudu and Google Play only.

According to the master list of redemptions, it seems that people are having successful redemptions with the other participating studios.

I have the opportunity to try out Serenity since I just got the disc yesterday which is a Universal title. I already own it in HD, it's in 4k HDR on Google Play. So, I should be able to redeem and get Google Play upgraded to UHD and be able to see the result.
post #403 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So I redeemed the 4k blu-ray Spiderman: Homecoming digital copy last night on Sony Pictures as per the instructions; the film appears on my Vudu account as UHD and includes a Movies Anywhere icon next to the Ultraviolet icon, but after 18 hours the movie has yet to appear on my Movies Anywhere or iTunes account. What does one do in this situation? Thanks!
post #404 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post
So I redeemed the 4k blu-ray Spiderman: Homecoming digital copy last night on Sony Pictures as per the instructions; the film appears on my Vudu account as UHD and includes a Movies Anywhere icon next to the Ultraviolet icon, but after 18 hours the movie has yet to appear on my Movies Anywhere or iTunes account. What does one do in this situation? Thanks!
Disconnect and reconnect Vudu from MA. Seems that when you redeem on a studio site, it doesn't always send the ping out to trigger the port. Same thing happened to me with Resident Evil. Note after relinking, it did take 30 minutes or so last night before showing up.
post #405 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Disconnect and reconnect Vudu from MA. Seems that when you redeem on a studio site, it doesn't always send the ping out to trigger the port. Same thing happened to me with Resident Evil. Note after relinking, it did take 30 minutes or so last night before showing up.
Thanks, that did it! So has the conclusion become that the best place to redeem digital codes is on the Movies Anywhere site? And there's no risk of losing out on a UHD copy from iTunes or Vudu by doing so?
post #406 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Actually, unless it's UHD in Vudu, it won't be 4K iTunes (even if iTunes has it in 4K) - since MA is looking at your Vudu library, not Sony UV.
This is correct as I just got this response from VUDU support that MA is just looking at your VUDU account and not your UV library. There is no connection between MA and UV.
Sam S likes this.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #407 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing that's cool is this finally unified my Star Wars movies across providers.

I bought the full collection of the first six movies from Google Play awhile ago because I had a discount code. Everything but A New Hope is distributed by Disney now, so everything but A New Hope also went into my Google, Vudu, and Amazon accounts last year when I bought it. A New Hope was only available on Google Play, where I originally purchased it.

Since Fox participates in MA now, A New Hope got replicated across all the remaining services and wasn't stuck just on Google Play anymore. Finally, I can watch the full collection on any service.
post #408 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
This is correct as I just got this response from VUDU support that MA is just looking at your VUDU account and not your UV library. There is no connection between MA and UV.
So if a movie is flagged as UHD in Vudu, it should play back as true UHD in iTunes as well, correct? With the exception of Disney titles which aren't yet available in UHD on iTunes at all.
post #409 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, that did it! So has the conclusion become that the best place to redeem digital codes is on the Movies Anywhere site? And there's no risk of losing out on a UHD copy from iTunes or Vudu by doing so?
If the code is UHD, it should be safe to redeem on MA. If it's HD and you are looking to get the free iTunes upgrade, then those have to be redeemed on iTunes,

Edit: might not be safe to redeem on MA for fear of getting SD on Vudu.

Quote:
So if a movie is flagged as UHD in Vudu, it should play back as true UHD in iTunes as well, correct? With the exception of Disney titles which aren't yet available in UHD on iTunes at all.
Correct.

Last edited by kbmb; 10-18-2017 at 07:15 PM.
post #410 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
This I really can not answer as I am avoiding the whole UHD thing like the plague as there is not one set standard for HDR. I think this is at least one of the issues some of you are having with UHD right now. The other thing is what rules the studio is actually applying to the code redemption. It is solely up to each studio to how their codes will be redeemed. The cloud libraries will then apply these rules that are attached to the codes.
It might be best to hold off on the UHD code redemption until the studios figure out what they are doing as regards to DV, HD10, HD10+, HLG, and whatever other HDR standard pops up.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #411 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I made the mistake of redeeming my first UHD, Deadpool, on iTunes a few weeks before the 4kATV announcement, so I did not get a digital 4K version. I didn't have a VUDU account at the time, but I figured out the mistake and registered my other UHD codes on VUDU or whatever UV-compatible site was permitted. Hoping this fixes that problem.

I only saw a way to link Disney studio accounts. Are there other studio accounts to link? I also have at least a WB account, though maybe UV/VUDU account will take care of those.

I also have old FOX digital versions that came with a disc-based file transfer that I could never transfer because it was coded for an outdated version of itunes. Anyone have hints of those?
post #412 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post

I also have old FOX digital versions that came with a disc-based file transfer that I could never transfer because it was coded for an outdated version of itunes. Anyone have hints of those?
My approach was to pay Vudu $2 to do a 'disc to digital' of such movies. Annoying to pay again, but at least it's a small amount.
post #413 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post

Nathan's idea is good and probably the easiest.

You could also contact Fox, and after proving proof of ownership, they might send you a working code.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #414 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
VUDU and OAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinclair View Post
I didn't know about the OAR, thanks for pointing that out. Do you know of a couple of titles where this is an issue so I can see the difference myself?
Late reply to this question, but there's a thread on the VUDU forums dedicated to this: https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...io-quot-Thread
post #415 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can confirm that the transfers coming directly from MA can be better than your original redemption place.

I bought the first Independence Day on Google play in a flash sale for under $5 awhile ago. It was HD, but not a really pristine transfer.

The copy that the MA app streams is very clearly sourced from the newer transfer they did when they restored the movie for UHD. Color timing is much better and detail is far better.

Another one is Moon. I have it in HD on Vudu, but the transfer there is messed up with elevated blacks and smudged detail. The MA streamed copy looks almost on par with the blu-ray.

The MA app on Roku is now pretty much my go-to app for anything I previously upgraded to HD through Vudu's disc to digital program. The streaming is better for anything HD than Vudu as far as I can tell.
post #416 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
In all my tests, the movies that are showing HD HDR have shown the line at the top with video-range: either HDR10 or DolbyVision. I then tested a known SDR movie (Thor) and that line showed only SDR. So it seems like on those 4K titles that they are only sending in HD, do have HDR.

For your Thor SDR movie, what does it say for video-range for the third line that begins with Display Resolution?
post #417 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrForza79 View Post
For your Thor SDR movie, what does it say for video-range for the third line that begins with Display Resolution?
For me it says HDR10 because I can't do Dolby Vision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 6.30.54 PM.png
Views:	138
Size:	581.5 KB
ID:	2300666  
post #418 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I redeemed "Starship Troopers" UHD code on MA on Vudu it is showing up as SD and 4K on Apple TV 4K.

Last edited by powertoburn; 10-18-2017 at 04:29 PM.
post #419 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
For me it says HDR10 because I can't do Dolby Vision.
Thanks for posting.

The first line represents the source gamma, in this case SDR.

The third line represents what your TV is capable of, in this case HDR.

The fourth line, natural-size value shows that this is streaming from/as HD.

(The ATV is upscaling from SDR to HDR if your TV is reporting this and displaying this as HDR.)

post #420 of 772 Old 10-18-2017, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Quote:
Disney is another story. Seems in all this MA they screwed up their UHD redeems. I have seen reports of people redeeming Pirates 5 UHD on MA and only getting HD. EDIT: People also saying Disney telling them they don't do UHD codes. UHD codes mean you got the code on a UHD, not that it redeems in UHD. What a mess.
Quote:
There's no choice for Disney, you pretty much have to redeem on MA. But yes, it grants access to UHD where appropriate. Apple doesn't carry UHD Disney titles, so for GOTG2, it will be UHD on Vudu and Google Play only.
GotG2 redeeming in UHD disc codes isn't an assured thing (it only did HD for me). I can confirm that Disney support is giving the BS answer that their codes only redeem in HD, at least they did in regards to GotG2 which has been reported here as showing as UHD on VUDU for those who didn't redeem when the disc first came out and another response from support for a different user saying they are correcting it (though it is still showing as HD in VUDU and VUDU support is simply pointing the finger at Disney).
After they denied my first request for GotG2 correction I sent them back a nastyrgram re-highlighting the facts of other users reporting having it and the letter from support, asking for escalation. Got a response that they are looking into it and I'm still waiting.

My recommendation on Disney UHD Blu-ray code redemptions would be to not do them now. To wait at least a few more weeks (if not a few months) to let this settle down and them to figure things out.

Here are the initial two response I got from them regarding my GotG2 showing as HD, not UHD in VUDU, and at the bottom, the response another user got prior (which I used for escalation):

Hello Curtis,
Thank you for your email.
The Digital Copy codes included in the 4K UHD Combo Packs unlock an HD version of the movie through your preferred provider. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with a UHD Digital Movie code.
We appreciate your comments and will share your request for a 4K UHD Digital Copy with the rest of our team.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email. You may also contact us at 1-800-723-4763 (US)/1-888-877-2843 (Canada) Monday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.
Thank you,
Iray
The Technical Support Team

---

Thank you for the email. 4K code redemption is currently not available. We appreciate that you are a 4K fan and took the time to contact us. Please leave a survey to be forwarded to Disney's marketing team and let your voice be heard. With feedback like yours, Disney is able to improve our programs for our guests.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email. You may also contact us at 1-800-723-4763 (US)/1-888-877-2843 (Canada) Monday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.
Thank you,

Ashcroft
The Technical Support Team

---
(Response to another user where they said they corrected it to be UHD)
Hello Philip,

Thank you for your email. We're happy to let you know that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K UHD format has now been added to your account!
At this time, the 4K UHD format of this title is only available at VUDU. This title will sync to Disney Movies Anywhere and other participating providers in HD format.
If there is anything else we can do to help, please reply to this email or contact us at (855) 347-3722 and a cast member will gladly assist you!

Thank you,

Maria
Disney Movies Anywhere Support

Last edited by curtisb; 10-18-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page