Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #451 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post
Really, I wanted to thank you for compiling that list. I found your post on SD, which prompted me to look here. I am about to test with a redemption code for District 9.

EDIT: just redeemed Elysium and District 9 on Sony's site. Waiting patiently for them to show up in iTunes. Hopefully they come over as 4K. It didn't happen with "The Nice Guys", which I made the mistake of redeeming on Movies Anywhere (before reading this thread). iTunes has the 4K version, but it came over to iTunes in HD.
Did you get that 3 BD set for Elysium/D9/Chappie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
Correct. But at least you're guaranteed those rights via Sony, any maybe down the road iTunes (and others?) can pull entitlements directly from Sony?

Don’t bank on Sony “down the road”. Of the 44 Sony titles I have on Vudu, 10 have UHD disks available, but only 1 is in UHD on Vudu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #453 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Don’t bank on Sony “down the road”. Of the 44 Sony titles I have on Vudu, 10 have UHD disks available, but only 1 is in UHD on Vudu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So is there really no way to redeem Sony UHD codes for 4K playback on AppleTV? What is the 1 UHD title on VUDU?

Quote:
Actually District 9 is available in 4K, and it just showed up in my list. Elysium on the other hand, you're right isn't in 4K (yet).
Actually, I just realized that none of those titles are UHD via VUDU, so there is no chance they'll show up as 4K for Apple TV 4K. They might say 4K on the overview screen, but if you start playing them and use the 'swipe down on remote' method, you'll see they're only HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Did you get that 3 BD set for Elysium/D9/Chappie?
Yeah this was for the Elysium/District 9 BD set.

Quote:
So is there really no way to redeem Sony UHD codes for 4K playback on AppleTV? What is the 1 UHD title on VUDU?

Actually, I just realized that none of those titles are UHD via VUDU, so there is no chance they'll show up as 4K for Apple TV 4K. They might say 4K on the overview screen, but if you start playing them and use the 'swipe down on remote' method, you'll see they're only HD.
Aw shucks. Just so many exceptions to the rule. :/ back to the drawing board.
post #455 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Aw shucks. Just so many exceptions to the rule. :/ back to the drawing board.

Might want to bookmark my post, as even I have to remind myself what I confirmed works, and where.
post #456 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Redeemed code for Apollo 13 through iTunes, should be getting UHD, HD & SD from Universal - only getting HD on ATV4K.
post #457 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Can you redeem Sony codes directly on MA now? WIll that give UHD rights in iTunes when it ports in?

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #458 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
Redeemed code for Apollo 13 through iTunes, should be getting UHD, HD & SD from Universal - only getting HD on ATV4K.

There is no UHD/4K version of Apollo 13 available on any service right now.
post #459 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic4tKnight View Post
FandangoNow has UHD for Apollo 13. Redeems on FandangoNow should give you UHD in UV locker.

Last edited by kbmb; 10-19-2017 at 08:27 AM.
post #460 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
The Universal site shows UHD, HD and SD versions for Apollo 13.
post #461 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Can you redeem Sony codes directly on MA now? WIll that give UHD rights in iTunes when it ports in?
I don't recommend redeeming Sony codes via MA. My Underworld UHD code came in as SD
post #462 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
FandangoNow has UHD for Apollo 13.
Thanks when I redeemed the code I had two options - Fandango or iTunes (chose iTunes).
post #463 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
FandangoNow has UHD for Apollo 13. Redeems on FandangoNow should give you UHD in UV locker.
Yep, but it’s not UHD yet on any Movies Anywhere service (iTunes, vudu, etc.)
post #464 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks when I redeemed the code I had two options - Fandango or iTunes (chose iTunes).
What a pain this all is. FandangoNow has been adding quite a few UHD titles that Vudu doesn't have yet (guessing mainly because they don't do HDR10 yet). So far FN redeems will send UHD rights to UV locker (I redeemed Serenity 4K on FN this morning for UHD in UV locker (only HDX on Vudu).
post #465 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What does your iTunes purchase history show? I'm guessing only HD since iTunes doesn't have it in 4K.

Quote:
Yep, but it’s not UHD yet on any Movies Anywhere service (iTunes, vudu, etc.)
Correct. But FN is the only way to get "something" to show UHD rights. Movies Anywhere itself really needed to be setup to accept all codes AND show the quality - so you could have a record of what you own.
post #466 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just redeemed the code and it was accepted via Fandango Now (I hadn't joined till today). It will hopefully migrate.
Duh.....should have remember it's a dual redeem! Nice! Congrats!
post #467 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What a pain this all is. FandangoNow has been adding quite a few UHD titles that Vudu doesn't have yet (guessing mainly because they don't do HDR10 yet). So far FN redeems will send UHD rights to UV locker (I redeemed Serenity 4K on FN this morning for UHD in UV locker (only HDX on Vudu).
So FandangoNow might be a bust, too. Regardless if it transfers 4K rights to UV (which is the same behavior as redeeming via Sony 4K codes via SonyPicturesStore.com), the 4K entitlement won't show up for iTunes unless it makes it's way to VUDU in UHD.
post #468 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So Fandango now might be a bust, too. Regardless if it transfers 4K rights to UV, the 4K entitlement won't show up for iTunes unless it makes it's way to VUDU in UHD.
Correct, since MA only talks to Vudu. It's the same as redeeming on Sony if Vudu doesn't have the UHD yet. You are basically waiting for Vudu to get UHD in hopes that it transfers in the future based on the UV record.

In this case though, because he redeemed directly on iTunes as well, if iTunes adds the 4K, he'll be able to view it because it's not a "second session".
post #469 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Correct, since MA only talks to Vudu. It's the same as redeeming on Sony if Vudu doesn't have the UHD yet. You are basically waiting for Vudu to get UHD in hopes that it transfers in the future based on the UV record.

In this case though, because he redeemed directly on iTunes as well, if iTunes adds the 4K, he'll be able to view it because it's not a "second session".
Yup, which is why my plan is to redeem directly in iTunes everything I possibly can: Warner Bros, Fox, Universal.
post #470 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
I don't recommend redeeming Sony codes via MA. My Underworld UHD code came in as SD
On VUDU, if so that’s a known and acknowledged issue.

I want to know if a UHD code on MA comes into iTunes with UHD rights? Maybe I’ll buy one and try it myself.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #471 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
What does your iTunes purchase history show? I'm guessing only HD since iTunes doesn't have it in 4K.

Correct. But FN is the only way to get "something" to show UHD rights. Movies Anywhere itself really needed to be setup to accept all codes AND show the quality - so you could have a record of what you own.
It shows HD only. I contacted Apple via chat and got this response from them: "I spoke with a Senior Advisor about this and it looks like the HD 4K version is not in the iTunes Store which is why it didn’t download".
post #472 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It shows HD only. I contacted Apple via chat and got this response from them: "I spoke with a Senior Advisor about this and it looks like the HD 4K version is not in the iTunes Store which is why it didn’t download".
Correct that it's currently only HD. What I was saying before was that IF it goes 4K in iTunes, you'll get the free "upgrade" based on the code was redeemed directly on iTunes.
post #473 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Correct that it's currently only HD. What I was saying before was that IF it goes 4K in iTunes, you'll get the free "upgrade" based on the code was redeemed directly on iTunes.
I hope so, it is one of my favorite all time movies. The launch scene where the astronaut says there is going to be a little jolt is classic (Helmets jerk down, then violently up). I own the original DVD but want the upgrade to higher definition.
post #474 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
On VUDU, if so that’s a known and acknowledged issue.

I want to know if a UHD code on MA comes into iTunes with UHD rights? Maybe I’ll buy one and try it myself.
If iTunes currently has them in 4K, I understand you can redeem via MA, and retain your 4K entitlement. It would be great if someone could check with 1984 Ghostbusters UHD, redeemed via MA. Because redeeming through Sony only gets it as far as VUDU, which has no 4K version, as such is just HD on iTunes.
post #475 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Duh.....should have remember it's a dual redeem! Nice! Congrats!

Can you explain how dual redeem works, and which platforms/studios it applies to?
post #476 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Correction- Spiderman Homecoming is the only UHD labeled and owned title I have in my Vudu Library when I sort by studio and choose Sony Pictures. When you look at the details for Spiderman, it shows the studio as Marvel, so I'm not sure if that's a Vudu error. When I go to my library on Sony Pictures Store and myuv.com, the only Sony movies I have that show Ultraviolet UHD rights are: Angry Birds, The Shallows, Life, Ghostbusters (2016) and The Magnificent Seven. Spiderman I redeemed via Google Play Store (MA), so it only shows as HD in the Sony Pictures Store. The Magnificent Seven is also labeled UHD and owned in my Vudu library, but the details page shows that studio as MGM (which means it's not MA and not in my iTunes Library). So zero Sony Pictures Store UHD movies in Vudu have UHD labels or rights when sorted by Sony Pictures studio. Confused yet?
Now to bring that back around to MA, here are the labels I see in iTunes today for the movies I have UHD rights for in the Sony Pictures Store-

Angry Birds (4K Dolbyvision)
The Shallows (HD)
Life (HD)
Ghostbusters 2016-Extended Edition (HD)

Geez, this is a mess. And you wonder why none of this is working the way we expect across all of these services.

In Conclusion- Spiderman: Homecoming (4K Dolbyvision) in iTunes, UHD in Vudu, HD in the Sony Pictures Store library.
post #477 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you explain how dual redeem works, and which platforms/studios it applies to?
This was/is how it works when you don't factor in Movies Anywhere. I'm still not 100% sure how MA changes this, although I have heard that MA will burn the UV side.

Warner and Sony are UV only
Fox is UV -or- iTunes
Universal is UV -and- iTunes
Paramount is UV -and- iTunes
Lionsgate is sometimes UV -and- iTunes and other times not.

Usually you want to redeem the UV side first and then iTunes just to be safe. This is why on the groups/boards you will see people sell split codes.

When talking about the redeems above, it's generally where you redeem directly on Vudu and iTunes, not using something like MYUV or studio sites.

This can all change at anytime now that we have MA - but so far current codes still act this way.
Sam S, CarpeNoctem and wxchaser like this.
post #478 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Correction- Spiderman Homecoming is the only UHD labeled and owned title I have in my Vudu Library when I sort by studio and choose Sony Pictures. When you look at the details for Spiderman, it shows the studio as Marvel, so I'm not sure if that's a Vudu error. When I go to my library on Sony Pictures Store and myuv.com, the only Sony movies I have that show Ultraviolet UHD rights are: Angry Birds, The Shallows, Life, Ghostbusters (2016) and The Magnificent Seven. Spiderman I redeemed via Google Play Store (MA), so it only shows as HD in the Sony Pictures Store. The Magnificent Seven is also labeled UHD and owned in my Vudu library, but the details page shows that studio as MGM (which means it's not MA and not in my iTunes Library). So zero Sony Pictures Store UHD movies in Vudu have UHD labels or rights when sorted by Sony Pictures studio. Confused yet?
Now to bring that back around to MA, here are the labels I see in iTunes today for the movies I have UHD rights for in the Sony Pictures Store-

The Shallows (HD)
Life (HD)

Geez, this is a mess. And you wonder why none of this is working the way we expect across all of these services.

In Conclusion- Spiderman: Homecoming (4K Dolbyvision) in iTunes, UHD in Vudu, HD in the Sony Pictures Store library.
I could not agree more with you about Geez, this is a mess! How much more confusing can they make it at this point? I'm linking the Federal Reserve to all my streaming accounts, lol
post #479 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Shallows (HD)
Life (HD)

Other than Spiderman Homecoming, and Magnificent Seven (which is technically MGM but kinda Sony), the only other UHD title Vudu has is Baby Driver.

And yes....it's an awful mess that MA should have solved by being the GO-TO place to redeem and manage movies. Instead it continues to be a glorified connection between retailers.
post #480 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Shallows (HD)
Life (HD)

How did you redeem Spiderman: HC?

Does Angry Birds actually playback in 4K, even though it is labeled as such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page