Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #481 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
How did you redeem Spiderman: HC?

Does Angry Birds actually playback in 4K, even though it is labeled as such?

Google Play redeem for Spiderman. No idea how either play today. I’m not home to check. Someone near an AppleTV 4k right now want to test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Google Play redeem for Spiderman. No idea how either play today. I’m not home to check. Someone near an AppleTV 4k right now want to test?
I don't have either. But I would not expect Angry Birds to play back in 4K, as iTunes is grabbing the playback entitlement from VUDU, which only has HDX of this title. But somehow iTunes "sees" the ownership entitlement of 4K via myuv.com, which is why the general info screen via AppleTV 4K shows 4K, but the Info-swipe-down should only show HD.
post #483 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
I don't have either. But I would not expect Angry Birds to play back in 4K, as iTunes is grabbing the playback entitlement from VUDU, which only has HDX of this title. But somehow iTunes "sees" the ownership entitlement of 4K via myuv.com, which is why the general info screen via AppleTV 4K shows 4K, but the Info-swipe-down should only show HD.
Just to be clear, the info Apple displays on the title screen has nothing to do with your ownership of the movie. Apple is basically saying, this title is available in 4K. No where in the Apple system yet, will it dynamically change or show what you own (like what Vudu does). This is what has lead to all this confusion from people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Just to be clear, the info Apple displays on the title screen has nothing to do with your ownership of the movie. Apple is basically saying, this title is available in 4K. No where in the Apple system yet, will it dynamically change or show what you own (like what Vudu does). This is what has lead to all this confusion from people.
Yep your right and that makes more sense. I was trying to find an example of a iTunes 4K movie that I clearly only own in HD, that reflected only HD on the main info screen, but could not. They all reflect 4K on the main screen, regardless if I own it in 4K or not.
post #485 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep your right and that makes more sense. I was trying to find an example of a iTunes 4K movie that I clearly only own in HD, that reflected only HD on the main info screen, but could not. They all reflect 4K on the main screen, regardless if I own it in 4K or not.
Apple has confused it all with the "free upgrades" as well. Since you can redeem a HD code in iTunes and if Apple has the movie in 4K, you'll get it in 4K. I applaud them for trying to blur the lines between HD and UHD - problem is with MA, since they can't give the free upgrades it just confuses everything.
post #486 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apple has confused it all with the "free upgrades" as well. Since you can redeem a HD code in iTunes and if Apple has the movie in 4K, you'll get it in 4K. I applaud them for trying to blur the lines between HD and UHD - problem is with MA, since they can't give the free upgrades it just confuses everything.
Yes, that's kind of a bright spot in all of this. Several retailers/resellers are selling iTunes HD codes for $4-$6+ which redeem as full 4K. That's made me invest in a few movies (Hidden Figures) that I haven't seen yet, but don't want to blind buy the 4K disc at $20+. Normally I always buy physical discs. But for $4 or $5, I'll take lot of risk if I get to own it in 4K, as I consider it more of a rental at that price.
post #487 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that's kind of a bright spot in all of this. Several retailers/resellers are selling iTunes HD codes for $4-$6+ which redeem as full 4K. That's made me invest in a few movies (Hidden Figures) that I haven't seen yet, but don't want to blind buy the 4K disc at $20+. Normally I always buy physical discs. But for $4 or $5, I'll take lot of risk if I get to own it in 4K, as I consider it more of a rental at that price.
Absolutely. You can get some iTunes codes in the $1-$2 dollar range and you'll get 4K in iTunes. And technically those HD redeems will go into your history as 4K.

I really wish the industry would follow this and just dump the tiers. No more SD/HD/UHD please. Just buy/redeem a digital code and you get the best available at that retailer.....plain and simple. Afterall, these are digital streams. They aren't yet at the same level as buying physical.
ZephyrForza79 likes this.
post #488 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Absolutely. You can get some iTunes codes in the $1-$2 dollar range and you'll get 4K in iTunes. And technically those HD redeems will go into your history as 4K.
Examples of iTunes movies (available via code resellers) at those prices?

Quote:
I really wish the industry would follow this and just dump the tiers. No more SD/HD/UHD please. Just buy/redeem a digital code and you get the best available at that retailer.....plain and simple. Afterall, these are digital streams. They aren't yet at the same level as buying physical.
Yup. But maybe this is a baby step, and we just need a few more years.
post #489 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Examples of iTunes movies (available via code resellers) at those prices?
Check the Blu-ray.com buying forum:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220953

Lots of lower prices there.

Here's an example of one seller that just posted these:

Spoiler!
Sam S likes this.

Last edited by kbmb; 10-19-2017 at 11:02 AM.
post #490 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And Apple has finally clarified via: http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/5242...sanywhere.html

Quote:
UPDATE 10/1717 DIRECTLY FROM APPLE:

Apple is ONLY upgrading **iTunes Store purchases** to 4K. Everything else will stay at the original purchase or redemption resolution, be it 4K or HD.

To clarify...

If you PURCHASED a movie or REDEEMED a Digital Copy IN iTunes AND it's available in iTunes in 4K, you get a free 4K upgrade and will be able to play that back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

If you PURCHASED a digital movie in 4K somewhere else, like VUDU, AND it's available in iTunes in 4K, you'll be able to play this title back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

If you REDEEMED a Digital Copy code from a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray somewhere else AND it's available in iTunes in 4K AND that specific movie studio allows for 4K redemption on this specific title, you'll be able to play that back in 4K on the Apple TV 4K.

But...

If you PURCHASED an HD version of a movie on VUDU, or one of the other streaming services, it will only playback in HD even when there is a 4K copy available in iTunes.

If you REDEEMED a Digital Copy from an HD Blu-ray in Movies Anywhere or VUDU or Ultraviolet, it will playback in HD even when there is a 4K copy available in iTunes. Please also note that some studios sell 4K Blu-rays with "HD" Digital Copies included.
nathan_h, Sujay and ZephyrForza79 like this.
post #491 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
And Apple has finally clarified via: http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/5242...sanywhere.html
so does this mean that Guardians 2 and Pirates 5 will only redeem the 1080P versions? Even though I purcahsed the 4k versions?

Last edited by RonAlam; 10-19-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: missed additional info
post #492 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
This has all gotten quite confusing but it is good Apple clarified. My question is: do all digital redemptions now redeem directly from Apple or is it still limited to only codes that come from certain studios like 20th Century Fox?
post #493 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post
so does this mean that Guardians 2 and Pirates 5 will only redeem the 1080P versions? Even though I purcahsed the 4k versions?
Disney movies are tricky right now as multiple people have only received HD from the 4K codes. Disney keeps telling people that since DMA is no more, they don't do 4K redeems. I would hold onto the code until things settle down.
post #494 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbo14 View Post
This has all gotten quite confusing but it is good Apple clarified. My question is: do all digital redemptions now redeem directly from Apple or is it still limited to only codes that come from certain studios like 20th Century Fox?
As far as I know, you still can't redeem directly on iTunes for Sony or Warner Bros (maybe that will change in the future). But those will redeem on Movies Anywhere, and if it's a 4K code, then you should get 4K in iTunes. However, if it's an HD code, then you'd have to hope that Vudu has it in UHD to redeem there first, then have that port to iTunes in 4K. This is easier for WB codes, but Sony is lacking on Vudu.

EDIT: Regarding Sony code redeems on MA - it's supposed to work based on what MA and Apple have said. However, I believe people are reporting that they aren't working, even if they are 4K codes.
jacbo14 and ZephyrForza79 like this.

Last edited by kbmb; 10-19-2017 at 11:52 AM.
post #495 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacbo14 View Post
You can't redeem Sony 4K codes directly through Apple. And I still can't come up with a way to redeem a Sony code, and get it to play in 4K on AppleTV 4K. Other than Spiderman: Homecoming, because VUDU offers the UHD version.
post #496 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Disney movies are tricky right now as multiple people have only received HD from the 4K codes. Disney keeps telling people that since DMA is no more, they don't do 4K redeems. I would hold onto the code until things settle down.
problem is I had the 4k digital version unlocked in Vudu, then when I migrated to MA, the 4K version vanished.
post #497 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
problem is I had the 4k digital version unlocked in Vudu, then when I migrated to MA, the 4K version vanished.
That's a new one. I would find the UHD line in your Vudu account page and then chat with MA. See if they can help at all. If not, you might have to contact Vudu (which can be painful).
post #498 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Thanks for posting that link kbmb!

After all this confusion, I just subscribed to High-Def & Dumb Digest for further edification (j/k).
post #499 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
Thanks for posting that link kbmb!

After all this confusion, I just subscribed to High-Def & Dumb Digest for further edification (j/k).
Me too

Honestly at this point, moving forward people should simply check around and make sure they know how/where to redeem EACH MOVIE to get what you need. MA has taken redeems and complicated the hell out of them even more than before!! It's like we need a flow-chart everytime we go to redeem a code to understand where it will all go.
post #500 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's a new one. I would find the UHD line in your Vudu account page and then chat with MA. See if they can help at all. If not, you might have to contact Vudu (which can be painful).
Did that, have open tickets with DMA, MA and Vudu...its been about 4 days now with no response...
post #501 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did that, have open tickets with DMA, MA and Vudu...its been about 4 days now with no response...
Where did you originally redeem it? DMA? If so I wonder if when they transitioned DMA to MA, they removed the UHD history.

I know I purchased directly from Vudu and it's still UHD. But this is starting to jive with what people are saying Disney is telling them....right now if you want a UHD digital Disney, you have to buy it from a retailer that has UHD.
post #502 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Where did you originally redeem it? DMA? If so I wonder if when they transitioned DMA to MA, they removed the UHD history.

I know I purchased directly from Vudu and it's still UHD. But this is starting to jive with what people are saying Disney is telling them....right now if you want a UHD digital Disney, you have to buy it from a retailer that has UHD.
Originally on DMA. They can see the record of me having the 4K version, but why its now gone has them baffled. I held off activating Pirates 5, but did it after they said it was safe to do so...guess what...it wasnt.
post #503 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Me too

Honestly at this point, moving forward people should simply check around and make sure they know how/where to redeem EACH MOVIE to get what you need. MA has taken redeems and complicated the hell out of them even more than before!! It's like we need a flow-chart everytime we go to redeem a code to understand where it will all go.
The only problem with your idea, is that the flow chart would require constant updating.

I think from a consumer viewpoint, customers want to get the content they are purchasing without compromise.

How many of us just on this forum alone have spent time on the phone already with Vudu, MA, DMA, Apple, etc.?

The process needs to be uncomplicated quickly so the consumer benefits, instead of playing hop scotch all over the studio playing field.
ZephyrForza79 likes this.
post #504 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Couple of quick questions:

1) What's the status with Fandango and MA? I have a few titles in Fandango that I would like to get into Movies Anywhere.
2) I thought that if I had a UV movie and I had UV linked to VUDU, that movie should show up in MA. This doesn't seem to be the case with Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Is this because it's a Paramount movie?

EDIT: I just logged into UV and there I'm seeing all the movies I have in MA.
post #505 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 02:15 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9312 Post(s)
Liked: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post

1) What's the status with Fandango and MA? I have a few titles in Fandango that I would like to get into Movies Anywhere.
2) I thought that if I had a UV movie and I had UV linked to VUDU, that movie should show up in MA. This doesn't seem to be the case with Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Is this because it's a Paramount movie?

Ghost protocol isn't listed as an available title at the MA site. So there is no way for it to show up.

In my library I do see Ghost Protocol in my Fandango, Vudu, and UV libraries.
tmdorsey likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #506 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdorsey View Post

Only UV titles in FandangoNow that are also MA will port.

And you are correct on Mission Impossible, it won’t port right now because it’s Paramont. Paramount and Lionsgate aren’t in MA
tmdorsey likes this.
post #507 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Ghost protocol isn't listed as an available title at the MA site. So there is no way for it to show up.

In my library I do see Ghost Protocol in my Fandango, Vudu, and UV libraries.
Quote:
Only UV titles in FandangoNow that are also MA will port.

And you are correct on Mission Impossible, it won’t port right now because it’s Paramont. Paramount and Lionsgate aren’t in MA
Thanks for the quick responses.

I doubled checked and the movies I have are FandangoNow/VIDITY movies. I'm guessing these movies will never port over to MA.
post #508 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Might want to bookmark my post, as even I have to remind myself what I confirmed works, and where.
A quick update. The Apple TV 4K arrived and I set it up. The first movie I watched was District 9, via the Movies app. It is definitely playing in 4K. In gorgeous 4K! Not sure how that happened, but I’ll take it.
post #509 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post
A quick update. The Apple TV 4K arrived and I set it up. The first movie I watched was District 9, via the Movies app. It is definitely playing in 4K. In gorgeous 4K! Not sure how that happened, but I’ll take it.
How did you confirm you were viewing in 4K?
post #510 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
How did you confirm you were viewing in 4K?
The method you had recommended, swiping down while playing... Is there a better way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page