Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #511 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post
The method you had recommended, swiping down while playing... Is there a better way?
That’s still the easiest, unless you use Xcode. Remind me how you redeemed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On Sony’s site - as per your post. Now it didn’t show up as 4K till later in the day. Not quite sure what is going on.
post #513 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Collection Sharing

Does Movies Anywhere offer any option for sharing your collection? Being able to share a collection with up to 5 other people (each with their own accounts) is one of my favorite features of the Ultraviolet system. It always made me feel netter about spending the money to buy a movie when I knew that 5 of my friends would also benefit. And of course I was always pleasantly surprised to see another movie added to my collection when when one of them decided to make a purchase. MA may prove to be superior to UV in other ways, but the loss of collection sharing seems like a major negative to me. Is there any way to avoid this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On Sony’s site - as per your post. Now it didn’t show up as 4K till later in the day. Not quite sure what is going on.
When you go into the MA app, under More, Transaction History - where does it show you redeemed District 9?
post #515 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
When you go into the MA app, under More, Transaction History - where does it show you redeemed District 9?
Strange... it says iTunes, though I redeemed it on Sony’s site. Now I am even more confused.
post #516 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Strange... it says iTunes, though I redeemed it on Sony’s site. Now I am even more confused.
Uh yeah that's kinda blowing my mind right now
post #517 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service

I purchased The Marian in HD from Vudu and through movies anywhere it shows up as an iTunes purchased movie. It plays back in HD (swipe down info). If I wanted to purchased this movie in iTunes in 4K, I am not able to do so. The movie has a cloud download icon but no “buy icon”. Since iTunes charges the same price for HD and 4K versions of a movie, and Apple upgraded movies originally purchased in HD from iTunes to 4k, I suppose there is no need to show a 4k “buy” button. However, with the arrival of the movies anywhere, there doesn’t seem to be a easy way to buy a 4K movie on iTunes that you previously bought in HD from any of the linked store.

I did try unlinking movies anywhere from iTunes, but the linked movies still show up in iTunes purchased movies section.

According to Apple “You can also disconnect from Movies Anywhere at any time. After you disconnect your Apple ID from your Movies Anywhere account, you can still watch movies that you bought from Movies Anywhere or the iTunes Store in either place, but you can only watch new movies that you buy in the application in which you purchase them.”

Maybe Apple and movies anywhere will find a way in the future to allow the purchase of 4K movies on iTunes that are already present in HD in movies anywhere.
post #518 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
On VUDU, if so that’s a known and acknowledged issue.

I want to know if a UHD code on MA comes into iTunes with UHD rights? Maybe I’ll buy one and try it myself.
I can't speak for iTunes, however I redeemed Starship Troopers UHD (A Sony title) directly on the MA site and I got UHD in Google Play. So, I would assume the same would hold true for iTunes if iTunes has the title in UHD.
post #519 of 772 Old 10-19-2017, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekjewel View Post
I purchased The Marian in HD from Vudu and through movies anywhere it shows up as an iTunes purchased movie. It plays back in HD (swipe down info). If I wanted to purchased this movie in iTunes in 4K, I am not able to do so. The movie has a cloud download icon but no “buy icon”. Since iTunes charges the same price for HD and 4K versions of a movie, and Apple upgraded movies originally purchased in HD from iTunes to 4k, I suppose there is no need to show a 4k “buy” button. However, with the arrival of the movies anywhere, there doesn’t seem to be a easy way to buy a 4K movie on iTunes that you previously bought in HD from any of the linked store.

I did try unlinking movies anywhere from iTunes, but the linked movies still show up in iTunes purchased movies section.

According to Apple “You can also disconnect from Movies Anywhere at any time. After you disconnect your Apple ID from your Movies Anywhere account, you can still watch movies that you bought from Movies Anywhere or the iTunes Store in either place, but you can only watch new movies that you buy in the application in which you purchase them.”

Maybe Apple and movies anywhere will find a way in the future to allow the purchase of 4K movies on iTunes that are already present in HD in movies anywhere.
Well there have been numerous reports of movies that are known to be 4k, HDR, or DV on iTunes temporarily showing up as HD, so I would attribute your problem with iTunes to that “glitch” rather than a “rights” or “ownership” issue.

System I | Sony 75Z9D | Oppo BDP-203 and 103D | ATV5 | Energy Veritas 1.8 (LR) | 2.0 (C) | 2.0R (S+SB) | Mirage OMD-5 (FH, RH)
Yamaha CX-A5100 | MX-A5000 x 2 | Dayton UM18-22 Sealed x2 w/ iNuke 6000DSP | Panamax Power 360 Strip
System II | Sony 75Z9D | ATV5 | Yamaha RX-A1070 | NAD T973 | Mirage OMD-28, OMD C2, OMD-5 | SVS PB12+/2
post #520 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Recent MA redeems not porting to UV

Seems as of right now, MA redeems are not giving you UV rights through Vudu. No concrete reason right now and no word from Vudu, but if you redeem on MA, Vudu is not sending UV rights once it hits your account.

This obviously impacts those that have sub-account and share their movies with family friends and those MA redeems won't make it to a Vudu sub-account since they aren't giving UV rights.

Last edited by kbmb; 10-20-2017 at 04:57 AM.
post #521 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekjewel View Post

Indeed, that does seem ass-backwards. There's no way to purchase a 4K upgrade, and when I tried to contact Apple Support, they seemed to be just as mystified. I hope that over time they will iron out the bugs and give us a clear answer, both in the UI (so that we don't need to swipe down to find out), and for code redemption.
post #522 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Indeed, that does seem ass-backwards. There's no way to purchase a 4K upgrade, and when I tried to contact Apple Support, they seemed to be just as mystified. I hope that over time they will iron out the bugs and give us a clear answer, both in the UI (so that we don't need to swipe down to find out), and for code redemption.
For iTunes, apparently you can "gift" a title, and just send it to your own iTunes email address. I personally haven't tried this, however.

@timdafweak Do you have all 4 retailers linked to your MA account (iTunes, VUDU, Amazon, Google)?

I'm still trying to figure out how to replicate your District 9 4K redemption/playback in iTunes. I was thinking if you didn't have VUDU, maybe iTunes would pull the entitlement some other way?

In other strange news, I purchased the UHD of Silence of The Lambs (currently on sale for $4.99). The redemption showed up right away in VUDU, but no other services. Is this normal? Looks like this title was available for a while at 4K via iTunes, but is now just SD. I was kinda hoping that my 4K rights would transfer over to iTunes, assuming they get it back as 4K, one day.
post #523 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For iTunes, apparently you can "gift" a title, and just send it to your own iTunes email address. I personally haven't tried this, however.

@timdafweak Do you have all 4 retailers linked to your MA account (iTunes, VUDU, Amazon, Google)?

I'm still trying to figure out how to replicate your District 9 4K redemption/playback in iTunes. I was thinking if you didn't have VUDU, maybe iTunes would pull the entitlement some other way?

In other strange news, I purchased the UHD of Silence of The Lambs (currently on sale for $4.99). The redemption showed up right away in VUDU, but no other services. Is this normal? Looks like this title was available for a while at 4K via iTunes, but is now just SD. I was kinda hoping that my 4K rights would transfer over to iTunes, assuming they get it back as 4K, one day.
Silence of the Lambs is not MA.....it's an MGM title so it won't port anywhere.
post #524 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Recent MA redeems not porting to UV

Seems as of right now, MA redeems are not giving you UV rights through Vudu. No concrete reason right now and no word from Vudu, but if you redeem on MA, Vudu is not sending UV rights once it hits your account.

This obviously impacts those that have sub-account and share their movies with family friends and those MA redeems won't make it to a Vudu sub-account since they aren't giving UV rights.
This is how I assumed it would work regarding ultraviolet (Disney anywhere never gave UV copies, and I wouldn't expect an iTunes or amazon purchases to either as they aren't in Ultraviolet system). Because of this, I don't currently see a value in redeeming directly in MA, but rather Vudu or iTunes directly and let MA populate to rest of ecosystem.
Also, MA has there own sub-account system but I haven't investigated how it works yet.

JVC RS-440 | SI Slate 1.2 120" Zero Edge 16x9 screen | Fusion Lagoon Seating
Denon x4300H | Revel 5.1.4 F206/C205/W893/C763 | Dayton
Sealed 18-HO | Behringer EP4000
Tivo Bolt | Oppo 203 | Apple TV 4K | PS4 Pro | Nvidia Shield TV
post #525 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Sam, you may be on to something. When I redeemed D9, I had momentarily disconnected my Vudu account, because a number of my movies weren't porting over to MA, and iTunes. I have since reconnected Vudu. :/ Not sure if that did the trick. But yes, normally I do have all four connected to MA.

I tried to redeem Pacific Rim last night. This title is in 4K on iTunes and Vudu. MyUV would not accept the code, so I redeemed via MA, and Vudu now shows the 4K flair on the movie. iTunes will only play it back in HD. UGH.

I would experiment much, much more, but it seems the wife's patience with my spending on digital titles is wearing thin.

Where did you redeem Silence of the Lambs? MA or iTunes?
post #526 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
This is how I assumed it would work regarding ultraviolet (Disney anywhere never gave UV copies, and I wouldn't expect an iTunes or amazon purchases to either as they aren't in Ultraviolet system). Because of this, I don't currently see a value in redeeming directly in MA, but rather Vudu or iTunes directly and let MA populate to rest of ecosystem.
Also, MA has there own sub-account system but I haven't investigated how it works yet.
It wan't that MA was supposed to give UV copies, it was because the title ported into Vudu it would then flow to UV (if available). Seems someone (guessing the studios) didn't want to see this happen, unless it's a glitch, because prior to yesterday MA redeems did flow into UV.

I think the entire thing is a mess. We are almost no better off than before. As for redeeming in iTunes directly, that's fine if you primarily use iTunes.....but for Fox titles, that's sending SD to Vudu. Why?

MA doesn't have sub-accounts.....they have profiles. As far as I can tell, these are like the Netflix/Hulu profiles where it's still a single login, you can just switch and lock the MA app into one of the these profiles....for kids for example. As I understand it, in the MA apps, once you switch profiles, you have to logout and back in to switch again.
curtisb and shoeboo like this.
post #527 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As @Sam S said......there are two ways to upgrade the title at iTunes:

1) Gift it to yourself.
2) If there are iTunes codes (so not Sony or WB), you can buy another HD code and redeem directly on iTunes.
timdafweak likes this.
post #528 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Silence of the Lambs is not MA.....it's an MGM title so it won't port anywhere.
Crap. I should have know that. Oh well, a failed $5 experiment.

Quote:
Sam, you may be on to something. When I redeemed D9, I had momentarily disconnected my Vudu account, because a number of my movies weren't porting over to MA, and iTunes. I have since reconnected Vudu. :/ Not sure if that did the trick. But yes, normally I do have all four connected to MA.

I tried to redeem Pacific Rim last night. This title is in 4K on iTunes and Vudu. MyUV would not accept the code, so I redeemed via MA, and Vudu now shows the 4K flair on the movie. iTunes will only play it back in HD. UGH.

I would experiment much, much more, but it seems the wife's patience with my spending on digital titles is wearing thin.

Where did you redeem Silence of the Lambs? MA or iTunes?
Silence of the Lambs was a direct purchase from VUDU, no code redeemed.

Re: Pacific Rim - I already have the HD version of this in my VUDU, which just plays in HD via iTunes. I have the 4K Blu-ray arriving today, now I'm not so sure how to redeem the code to push 4K across everything. One thing is for sure - I'm never going to redeem titles via MA, except for Disney.

I am considering purchasing District 9 and doing the experiment of disconnecting VUDU before I redeem on the Sony site.
post #529 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Crap. I should have know that. Oh well, a failed $5 experiment.

Silence of the Lambs was a direct purchase from VUDU, no code redeemed.

Re: Pacific Rim - I already have the HD version of this in my VUDU, which just plays in HD via iTunes. I have the 4K Blu-ray arriving today, now I'm not so sure how to redeem the code to push 4K across everything. One thing is for sure - I'm never going to redeem titles via MA, except for Disney.

I am considering purchasing District 9 and doing the experiment of disconnecting VUDU before I redeem on the Sony site.
You should be able to redeem Pacific Rim directly on Vudu to get UHD there. Then you may have to disconnect/reconnect to get it to port with the upgrade to MA and iTunes. Now all of this may have changed since MA was launched, but my Pacific Rim redeem of UHD in Vudu does play 4K in iTunes (but again this was before MA).
post #530 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You should be able to redeem Pacific Rim directly on Vudu to get UHD there. Then you may have to disconnect/reconnect to get it to port with the upgrade to MA and iTunes. Now all of this may have changed since MA was launched, but my Pacific Rim redeem of UHD in Vudu does play 4K in iTunes (but again this was before MA).
You don't think it's a little risky, considering I already own the HDX of Pacific Rim, originally redeemed via VUDU? I'm most concerned about iTunes picking up the 4K entitlement.
post #531 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't think it's a little risky, considering I already own the HDX of Pacific Rim, originally redeemed via VUDU? I'm most concerned about iTunes picking up the 4K entitlement.
Everything is risky now with MA

As far as Vudu and upgrading titles, that's what I have done for over a dozen titles. I owned each already in Vudu in HDX and I would buy a 4K code, redeem it and it would upgrade in Vudu. That part has worked perfectly for me. It will even send the UHD rights to UV. So unless Vudu changed something in the last few days, I'm confident that will work. It has to be a direct redeem at Vudu though, which Pacific Rim is.

As for porting to iTunes......all of mine did, but again, they were all done before MA was released. I have read where it's still working like that, however, you'll have to disconnect and reconnect to get everything to notice the change.
Sam S likes this.
post #532 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked: 795
So I redeemed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on VUDU. I bought the UHD disc version but this code did not redeem in UHD. Is there a way to get UHD unlocked without buying the movie again? I called VUDU and they said it's not their issue. Any suggestions where to start, or can I just not get this in UHD?
post #533 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So unless Vudu changed something in the last few days, I'm confident that will work. It has to be a direct redeem at Vudu though, which Pacific Rim is.
When you say "direct redeem" at Vudu, should I be using the option for "Redeem Vudu codes" or "Redeem digital copies" on the Vudu site? I kinda assume the latter, but these days I really can't make many assumptions
post #534 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
So I redeemed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on VUDU. I bought the UHD disc version but this code did not redeem in UHD. Is there a way to get UHD unlocked without buying the movie again? I called VUDU and they said it's not their issue. Any suggestions where to start, or can I just not get this in UHD?
Disney is telling people that they don't do UHD redeems at all. So it's likely you'd have to buy directly on Vudu to get it UHD digitally.

Quote:
When you say "direct redeem" at Vudu, should I be using the option for "Redeem Vudu codes" or "Redeem digital copies" on the Vudu site? I kinda assume the latter, but these days I really can't make many assumptions
I always check that Google doc for the correct link. In this case for Pacific Rim it's listed as:
https://my.vudu.com/redeem.html?pdefid=10:1057

Pretty sure if you chose the Redeem digital copies and selected Pacific Rim that would work to. Sometimes if you already own the movie in Vudu, they won't have the Redeem link on the movie page. In those cases search for the movie in another browser to get the redeem link and copy it back into your browser where you are signed into Vudu.
Sam S likes this.
post #535 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I just bought the Blomkamp BD trilogy, and will try to replicate your success of getting District 9 and Chappie (I think I hated this movie ha) to redeem in iTunes in 4K.

Can you tell me any other steps you did, besides unlinking VUDU from MA? Did you have myuv.com linked back to SonyPicturesStore.com?

The way I think it normally flows: 1) Redeem at Sony 2) Sony sends the correct (i.e. SD, HD, UHD) entitlement to your UV locker 3) VUDU picks up your entitlement from UV, but if VUDU only has it in HDX, it's stuck like that 4) iTunes checks your entitlement from VUDU via MA. Since VUDU is only showing HDX, iTunes will only playback HD, even though they offer it in 4K.

If I unlink VUDU from MA, then redeem via Sony site, how is iTunes picking up your entitlement? Via Ultraviolet?
post #536 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I just bought the Blomkamp BD trilogy, and will try to replicate your success of getting District 9 and Chappie (I think I hated this movie ha) to redeem in iTunes in 4K.

Can you tell me any other steps you did, besides unlinking VUDU from MA? Did you have myuv.com linked back to SonyPicturesStore.com?

The way I think it normally flows: 1) Redeem at Sony 2) Sony sends the correct (i.e. SD, HD, UHD) entitlement to your UV locker 3) VUDU picks up your entitlement from UV, but if VUDU only has it in HDX, it's stuck like that 4) iTunes checks your entitlement from VUDU via MA. Since VUDU is only showing HDX, iTunes will only playback HD, even though they offer it in 4K.

If I unlink VUDU from MA, then redeem via Sony site, how is iTunes picking up your entitlement? Via Ultraviolet?
There were reports yesterday that MA was finally recognizing Sony redeems of 4K on MA....in that you'll get 4K in iTunes. Side effect again is SD going to Vudu
post #537 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Disney is telling people that they don't do UHD redeems at all. So it's likely you'd have to buy directly on Vudu to get it UHD digitally.
well that sucks
post #538 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There were reports yesterday that MA was finally recognizing Sony redeems of 4K on MA....in that you'll get 4K in iTunes. Side effect again is SD going to Vudu
Oh really, which titles? Last night, I unlinked VUDU from MA, and tried 1984 Ghostbusters, but it still came across as HD on Apple TV 4K.

Yeah the SD on VUDU is still a real mystery. But I definitely consider VUDU a very secondary viewing platform for me, but I can see where it's frustrating for those with Roku TVs, etc.
post #539 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
well that sucks
Tell me about it!! Seems while Movies Anywhere took a few steps forward.....at the same time we took like 12 steps back!!
aaronwt likes this.
post #540 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh really, which titles? Last night, I unlinked VUDU from MA, and tried 1984 Ghostbusters, but it still came across as HD on Apple TV 4K.

Yeah the SD on VUDU is still a real mystery. But I definitely consider VUDU a very secondary viewing platform for me, but I can see where it's frustrating for those with Roku TVs, etc.
Here's one of the posts:
https://plus.google.com/104808036111...ts/cJQUhZZC9Xt

He did it with 5 Spiderman Collection and then again with Passengers. Note again the SD in Vudu.

I'd like to take that lady in charge of MA and have a nice long chat with her to find out why/how they could mess this all up so badly!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page