Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #541 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I was able to look at my Sony Pictures content by viewing the Sony content in my library:

https://www.sonypicturesstore.com/index.htm#/library

I could tell that many of the movies in my "library" are not being assigned the rights properly by directly comparing them to my iTunes library and others.

I'm glad a lot of you guys are looking into this and other rights assignment issues because it is helpful, if not confusing at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
OK, I just bought the Blomkamp BD trilogy, and will try to replicate your success of getting District 9 and Chappie (I think I hated this movie ha) to redeem in iTunes in 4K.

Can you tell me any other steps you did, besides unlinking VUDU from MA? Did you have myuv.com linked back to SonyPicturesStore.com?

The way I think it normally flows: 1) Redeem at Sony 2) Sony sends the correct (i.e. SD, HD, UHD) entitlement to your UV locker 3) VUDU picks up your entitlement from UV, but if VUDU only has it in HDX, it's stuck like that 4) iTunes checks your entitlement from VUDU via MA. Since VUDU is only showing HDX, iTunes will only playback HD, even though they offer it in 4K.

If I unlink VUDU from MA, then redeem via Sony site, how is iTunes picking up your entitlement? Via Ultraviolet?
Yes, I do have myuv connected to SonyPicturesStore.com as well as to Vudu. I disconnected Vudu from MA, but that's the extent of what I did. Really didn't know what or why, it just happened to be the case then.

Good luck! Let us know what happens if you do decide to take the plunge. BTW I really disliked Chappie too.
post #543 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Here's one of the posts:
https://plus.google.com/104808036111...ts/cJQUhZZC9Xt

He did it with 5 Spiderman Collection and then again with Passengers. Note again the SD in Vudu.

I'd like to take that lady in charge of MA and have a nice long chat with her to find out why/how they could mess this all up so badly!!
Very interesting, and encouraging! Unfortunately, I just spend 20 minutes on chat with a SonyPicturesStore agent (Joe V), and explained the scenario and my request to cancel/issue new codes. He refused! He said since UV does show my UHD entitlement, he it's a Movies Anywhere issue, and I need to contact them. Ugh Sony, I'm ready to give up

Last edited by Sam S; 10-20-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post
Yes, I do have myuv connected to SonyPicturesStore.com as well as to Vudu. I disconnected Vudu from MA, but that's the extent of what I did. Really didn't know what or why, it just happened to be the case then.

Good luck! Let us know what happens if you do decide to take the plunge. BTW I really disliked Chappie too.
Cool thanks. Yep, I'll will give it a shot later this afternoon and report back.
post #545 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 74
great, now Thor the Dark World is missing in my VUDU and MA library, but its in my Itunes library...wtf??
post #546 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 88
So here is my question. Assuming Apple's response in that High-Def Digest article is accurate and MA entitlements don't upgrade to 4K for playback on ATV, what happens if I do want to watch a movie from the MA collection in 4K on ATV. As far as I know iTunes/AppleTV do not have a way to pay to "upgrade" a movie from HD to UHD like Vudu does...
post #547 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
So here is my question. Assuming Apple's response in that High-Def Digest article is accurate and MA entitlements don't upgrade to 4K for playback on ATV, what happens if I do want to watch a movie from the MA collection in 4K on ATV. As far as I know iTunes/AppleTV do not have a way to pay to "upgrade" a movie from HD to UHD like Vudu does...
1) Gift it to yourself.
2) If there are iTunes codes (so not Sony or WB), you can buy another HD code and redeem directly on iTunes.
post #548 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmil View Post
@kbmb did a good job of explaining the options here.
post #549 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasen View Post
Does Movies Anywhere offer any option for sharing your collection? Being able to share a collection with up to 5 other people (each with their own accounts) is one of my favorite features of the Ultraviolet system. It always made me feel netter about spending the money to buy a movie when I knew that 5 of my friends would also benefit. And of course I was always pleasantly surprised to see another movie added to my collection when when one of them decided to make a purchase. MA may prove to be superior to UV in other ways, but the loss of collection sharing seems like a major negative to me. Is there any way to avoid this?
Movies Anywhere does not allow for account sharing per se. I share my collection of movies with family members through a conglomeration of streaming services including VUDU (UV), Google Play (Family Library) and iTunes (Family Sharing). It's cumbersome but it works.

Of the 4 services Amazon is the odd man out and does not allow for any sort of movie collection sharing, maybe that will change who knows.

Speaking of Amazon, I purchased The Rocketeer (1991) digital movie a few days ago and it propagated across to MA, VUDU and iTunes but it never made it to Google Play. I wrote MA about the issue and not surprisingly have heard nothing from them. I rarely buy digital movies on Amazon but was using money I received via gift certificate. I'll think twice about using them again.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #550 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now that Amazon is part of MA, I'd like to see them start to really get into movies and bring some nice competition. Amazon has always had really nice streams and high bandwidth. And they have the power and desire to be the best at something. Vudu even though it's owned by Walmart.....I'm not sure how much influence they have.

I think MA along with Apple's pricing and free upgrades will benefit Apple the most out of all the retailers.
post #551 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
So I redeemed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on VUDU. I bought the UHD disc version but this code did not redeem in UHD. Is there a way to get UHD unlocked without buying the movie again? I called VUDU and they said it's not their issue. Any suggestions where to start, or can I just not get this in UHD?
Read post #420

"(Response to another user where they said they corrected it to be UHD)
Hello Philip,

Thank you for your email. We're happy to let you know that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K UHD format has now been added to your account!
At this time, the 4K UHD format of this title is only available at VUDU. This title will sync to Disney Movies Anywhere and other participating providers in HD format.
If there is anything else we can do to help, please reply to this email or contact us at (855) 347-3722 and a cast member will gladly assist you!

Thank you,

Maria
Disney Movies Anywhere Support"

This what I did month ago or so I saw some where if you just had the HDX instead of UHD they would upgrade for you. It took a couple of weeks but did show in VUDU as UHD.

mark
post #552 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post
Read post #420

"(Response to another user where they said they corrected it to be UHD)
Hello Philip,

Thank you for your email. We're happy to let you know that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K UHD format has now been added to your account!
At this time, the 4K UHD format of this title is only available at VUDU. This title will sync to Disney Movies Anywhere and other participating providers in HD format.
If there is anything else we can do to help, please reply to this email or contact us at (855) 347-3722 and a cast member will gladly assist you!

Thank you,

Maria
Disney Movies Anywhere Support"

This what I did month ago or so I saw some where if you just had the HDX instead of UHD they would upgrade for you. It took a couple of weeks but did show in VUDU as UHD.

mark
Hopefully this works for him, but this was before Movies Anywhere. Seems Disney has changed their stance since moving from DMA to MA.
post #553 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hopefully this works for him, but this was before Movies Anywhere. Seems Disney has changed their stance since moving from DMA to MA.
Now that I think about it at that time they said going foreword all GOTG 2 UHD would add as UHD in VUDU. I wonder what happened to that?

mark
post #554 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Now that I think about it at that time they said going foreword all GOTG 2 UHD would add as UHD in VUDU. I wonder what happened to that?

mark
Read this scroll half way down to DISNEY-

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...n-4k-uhd/39456

mark
post #555 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Read this scroll half way down to DISNEY-

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...n-4k-uhd/39456

mark
Problem is that's all about DMA....and all that did happen. DMA wasn't ready for GOTG2 in UHD when it was released.

However, so far since MA has been rolled out and Disney has discontinued DMA, they have been telling people they don't redeem UHD. Here's a couple people talking about it:
https://plus.google.com/112973784609...ts/AJcoHWuNGLr

And throughout the G+ communities, right now it is listed as Disney UHD codes will not redeem anywhere to get UHD.

I just don't think people are having any luck right now with MA and Disney UHD. Hopefully it changes if/when iTunes adds these in 4K.
post #556 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic4tKnight View Post
There is no UHD/4K version of Apollo 13 available on any service right now.
Much to my amazement, this afternoon I was playing around on my Roku Ultra (still using ATV4K too) - and when I clicked on YouTube and signed in - in my movie library lo & behold was Apollo 13 in 4K!

I watched the beginning launch sequence and was amazed by the clarity of the picture & the sound was great.

I have not been able to find the UHD version elsewhere yet and I'm not even sure how YouTube hooks into MA, UV, Vudu, Google Play or iTunes.

When I redeemed the code I had two options - Fandango or iTunes (chose iTunes). I went ahead and a bit later did the dual redeem with Fandango Now (it accepted my code, then never showed Apollo 13 in my library on that application.

It really is like spinning the Wheel of Fortune or something.

Just glad I found one place out of the many where I can actually view my movie in 4K - just never expected it to be on YouTube.

Edit: Just checked FN & nothing appears there at all. If i go through MA transaction History, it shows Apollo 13 activated on iTunes.

Last edited by wxchaser; 10-20-2017 at 01:53 PM.
post #557 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
Much to my amazement, this afternoon I was playing around on my Roku Ultra (still using ATV4K too) - and when I clicked on YouTube and signed in - in my movie library lo & behold was Apollo 13 in 4K!

I watched the beginning launch sequence and was amazed by the clarity of the picture & the sound was great.

I have not been able to find the UHD version elsewhere yet and I'm not even sure how YouTube hooks into MA, UV, Vudu, Google Play or iTunes.

When I redeemed the code I had two options - Fandango or iTunes (chose iTunes). I went ahead and a bit later did the dual redeem with Fandango Now (it accepted my code, then never showed Apollo 13 in my library on that application.

Just glad I found one place out of the many where I can actually view my movie in 4K - just never expected it to be on YouTube.

Edit: Just checked FN & nothing appears there at all. If i go through MA transaction History, it shows Apollo 13 activated on iTunes.
Wow, going to try this now as I just redeemed Apollo 13 last night via FN. I played a little on FN last night but I've never been impressed with their streams.

FYI, Youtube is basically using the Google Play backend, so that's how you can view your movies.
post #558 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ok, when you redeemed the code the first time, where did you go.....FandangoNow?

EDIT: Nevermind, assume you went to UPHE to redeem. Yeah, I will get screwed on this because I redeemed directly on FandangoNow. So I have it in UHD in FN and UV, but because Vudu doesn't have it in UHD my MA account is only seeing my original HD copy from Vudu.

I still have the half that would redeem directly on iTunes, but iTunes doesn't have it either so not sure that will do it. Although I'm confused on how GP is seeing yours as 4K. Can you check to see if your iTunes history shows anything?

Last edited by kbmb; 10-20-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #559 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Ok, when you redeemed the code the first time, where did you go.....FandangoNow?

EDIT: Nevermind, assume you went to UPHE to redeem. Yeah, I will get screwed on this because I redeemed directly on FandangoNow. So I have it in UHD in FN and UV, but because Vudu doesn't have it in UHD my MA account is only seeing my original HD copy from Vudu.

I still have the half that would redeem directly on iTunes, but iTunes doesn't have it either so not sure that will do it. Although I'm confused on how GP is seeing yours as 4K. Can you check to see if your iTunes history shows anything?
My first redemption was done on UPHE.com/Redeem for iTunes, then I realized i could try the dual redemption with Fandango Now. It took the code, but never appeared in my FN library ever.

In my purchase history on iTunes -Apollo 13 appears with a total price of $0.00 since I used a redemption code. It appears in the MA transaction history as Apollo 13 iTunes 10/18/17. On FN nothing appears.
post #560 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My first redemption was done on UPHE.com/Redeem for iTunes, then I realized i could try the dual redemption with Fandango Now. It took the code, but never appeared in my FN library ever.

In my purchase history on iTunes -Apollo 13 appears with a total price of $0.00 since I used a redemption code. It appears in the MA transaction history as Apollo 13 iTunes 10/18/17. On FN nothing appears.
When you click on that little arrow in iTunes history to the left of the entry, it should take you to a screen that shows quality.

Weird that it doesn't show on FN for you.

I redeemed directly on iTunes for the heck of it, and sure enough it only lists as HD in iTunes.

Although I can't get anything to play 4K in Youtube on the Roku. Youtube seems to have the same issue of showing 4K when you don't have it.....like my Blade Runner. Trying to get something like Baby Driver to hit 4K now.
post #561 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Wow, going to try this now as I just redeemed Apollo 13 last night via FN. I played a little on FN last night but I've never been impressed with their streams.

FYI, Youtube is basically using the Google Play backend, so that's how you can view your movies.
Thanks that is very helpful, I was trying to figure out where it was being grabbed from.
post #562 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hate Movies Anywhere

Anyway, I can't get anything on YouTube to play more than SD. And I tried the Apollo 13 on FN on Roku and the FN App is garbage and glitches and looks bad. My Vudu HDX copy looks better.

Maybe if Vudu gets it eventually my UV rights will port. Otherwise, I'm done with all the hoops - I'll stick to Vudu redeems and the Vudu app for now. When/if Paramount/Lionsgate comes to MA or when Vudu updates their ATV app I'll look again.
post #563 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Checked purchases and it shows in Itunes history as Movie, HD.
post #564 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
There were reports yesterday that MA was finally recognizing Sony redeems of 4K on MA....in that you'll get 4K in iTunes. Side effect again is SD going to Vudu
My Homecoming that was redeemed on MA ported through as UHD but my Sony Redeemed Ghostbusters UHD (in UV as UHD) is still HD on Google (which came from VUDU as HD) so So while they may be recognizing Sony UHD from direct MA redemptions, don't think Sony Store is linked to MA in any way yet for previous UHD redemptions.
post #565 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Checked purchases and it shows in Itunes history as Movie, HD.
Color me confused now
post #566 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 75
VUDU is confirming they no longer port/link MA redeems to UV

Are we having fun yet?

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...99#post1307699

FelipeF's
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Is VUDU stopping MA redemptions from porting to UV? Are you seeing gaps?
Quote Originally Posted by CBrown:
"Thanks for replying Filipe but that hasn't been the case prior to yesterday according users on number of forums. Experience redeeming Spider-man Homecoming which I redeemed on MA (per Sony's redemption site's default direction) and it appeared on VUDU and then on UVVU as UHD.
So if this isn't happening anymore, it would seem to be due to a change in the way VUDU is handling things as they were the link. Are you saying that this change (or correction) with VUDU's has indeed happened?"

What some users have experienced is a bug. Those titles were never to export out to UV. The bug will be resolved soon.
post #567 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
So it's Movies Anywhere VERSUS Ultraviolet, eh?
post #568 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 PM

@Curtis ib - loads of fun
post #569 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post

Bad news. I unhooked VUDU from MA, waited a few hours. Redeem the single code for the Blu-ray box of Blomkamp x 3. Nothing showed up in iTunes <-This is where I was hoping iTunes could pull from somewhere else than VUDU. I also unlinked VUDU from UV. Then I unlinked Sony from UV. Finally I linked them all back up, and the 3 titles showed up everywhere.

In my MA transaction history, it shows Chappie/D9/Elysium as purchased via VUDU, which I didn't want. Does anyone know how to have MA acknowledge a Sony code redemption as coming from iTunes?

A weird side effect of all this unlinking: The Fox UHD titles I previously redeemed via iTunes that showed up in VUDU as SD now show up as HDX. Useful for some, but I'll just watch the 4K versions via iTunes. EDIT: and also UHD code redeemed Warner titles like Batman v. Superman which I believe previously was in my VUDU library as SD now properly show as UHD.

Last edited by Sam S; 10-20-2017 at 04:49 PM.
post #570 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
So it's Movies Anywhere VERSUS Ultraviolet, eh?
Not for long I'd imagine. Once Paramount and Lionsgate are on board, I have a feeling UV will die a slow death. I'm also convinced that somehow Apple is involved or in the know with MA and they will clearly profit the most from all this. I'm sure they are loving the eventual death of UV! Here's hoping Amazon with all their might get serious about movies!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page