Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #571 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Does anyone know how to check your HD/UHD quality on Google? In a web browser, I know if I click on a title, it will tell me at the bottom "available in 4K", but does that mean I have the 4K entitlement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 PM
JJ7

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Is there a consensus on the best place to redeem the code which comes with the UHD dis of Spider-Man Homecoming?
post #573 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
Is there a consensus on the best place to redeem the code which comes with the UHD dis of Spider-Man Homecoming?
I redeemed my code at the Sony Pictures website on the card. It showed up on Vudu right away as UHD but had to unlink accounts and relink accounts for it to show up in iTunes and Movies Anywhere but I did get UHD copies. Other UHD Sony titles I redeemed on MA only show up as SD on Vudu and 4K or HD on Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
Does anyone know how to check your HD/UHD quality on Google? In a web browser, I know if I click on a title, it will tell me at the bottom "available in 4K", but does that mean I have the 4K entitlement?
There doesn't appear to be a way to check what is actually playing, at least as far as I've been able to tell (and I've researched it pretty hard!), but you there are a couple of ways to see what you have the rights to.

1. On YouTube (the site - the YT app doesn't seem to have this), be sure you're logged into the same account as your Google Play Movies account, on the menu, hit "Purchases". Then click "Manage Purchases and Refunds". Once there, your movies will be listed and if you have the UHD license, it will be labeled UHD there (if you're entitled to it, obviously).

2. In the android GPM app, just click on the movie. If it shows 4k in the info, you should have the 4k rights.

I REALLY wish Google would add some sort of indicator like pretty much everyone else out there! It's frustrating!
Sam S, curtisb and wxchaser like this.
post #575 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyrulz View Post
There doesn't appear to be a way to check what is actually playing, at least as far as I've been able to tell (and I've researched it pretty hard!), but you there are a couple of ways to see what you have the rights to.

1. On YouTube (the site - the YT app doesn't seem to have this), be sure you're logged into the same account as your Google Play Movies account, on the menu, hit "Purchases". Then click "Manage Purchases and Refunds". Once there, your movies will be listed and if you have the UHD license, it will be labeled UHD there (if you're entitled to it, obviously).

2. In the android GPM app, just click on the movie. If it shows 4k in the info, you should have the 4k rights.

I REALLY wish Google would add some sort of indicator like pretty much everyone else out there! It's frustrating!

Brilliant, thanks! I scrolled through my ~50 movies, and only a single one (Batman v. Superman) indicated 4K. Which means Google must be pulling UHD entitlement from VUDU, just like iTunes. But of course Google doesn't recognize 4K movies I've redeemed through iTunes, only showing them as HD.
post #576 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
Other UHD Sony titles I redeemed on MA only show up as SD on Vudu and 4K or HD on Apple TV 4K

Can you give more details about which Sony UHD titles showed up as 4K vs. HD in iTunes. Previously I was redeeming all Sony UHD titles through SonyPicturesStore which correctly fed into UV, but only HD in iTunes. The one UHD movie code I tried to redeem directly via MA (original Underworld), but only came in as SD to VUDU. And it won't push into iTunes, at all! Which is weird because it's in Amazon, Google, VUDU.
post #577 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 197
post #578 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
D2D has been awesome for me over the years. I’ve converted over 800 discs.

This is an awesome service that more people can benefit now with MA. You can save even more if you can snag some Vudu credits
post #579 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Can you give more details about which Sony UHD titles showed up as 4K vs. HD in iTunes. Previously I was redeeming all Sony UHD titles through SonyPicturesStore which correctly fed into UV, but only HD in iTunes. The one UHD movie code I tried to redeem directly via MA (original Underworld), but only came in as SD to VUDU. And it won't push into iTunes, at all! Which is weird because it's in Amazon, Google, VUDU.
It's the same with Google Play, I've found. I redeemed Bram Stoker's Dracula on Sony's site, and it shows up on Sony and UV as UHD, but that does me zero good. I've redeemed other Sony and Universal (after making sure that GPM had them in UHD) titles directly on MA and gotten SD in Vudu and UHD on GPM.

Titles I redeemed via MA that gave me UHD rights at GPM:
Get Out
E.T.
Starship Troopers
Fifth Element
Close Encounters (got me all three versions too!)
The Shallows

I've heard people who redeemed via Sony have gotten Sony to delete the Sony/UV redemption and issue new codes for them to use on MA so they can watch the UHD on iTunes or GPM. I have tried that for Dracula but have been unsuccessful so far. (Well, I guess I shouldn't say unsuccessful - no one at Sony has responded to my emails or chats.)

EDIT: Was just messing around on Vudu and it looks like the titles above that were in SD are now in HDX.
Sam S likes this.

Last edited by skippyrulz; 10-20-2017 at 07:51 PM.
post #580 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
D2D has been awesome for me over the years. I’ve converted over 800 discs.

This is an awesome service that more people can benefit now with MA. You can save even more if you can snag some Vudu credits
I haven't utilized D2D but can definitely see the benefits at a greatly reduced cost.
post #581 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's the same with Google Play, I've found. I redeemed Bram Stoker's Dracula on Sony's site, and it shows up on Sony and UV as UHD, but that does me zero good. I've redeemed other Sony and Universal (after making sure that GPM had them in UHD) titles directly on MA and gotten SD in Vudu and UHD on GPM.

Titles I redeemed via MA that gave me UHD rights at GPM:
Get Out
E.T.
Starship Troopers
Fifth Element
Close Encounters (got me all three versions too!)
The Shallows
When you look in the MA app under Transaction History, does it show those movies above came from Google, or VUDU? I got burned on Fifth Element and 1984 Ghostbusters, because redeeming via Sony, I only get HD for Ghostbusters in iTunes. I don't suppose you have an Apple TV 4K do you? I still have UHD codes for E.T., Starship Troopers, and Close Encounters I want to redeem, but I'm scared they won't come into iTunes as 4K.

Quote:
I've heard people who redeemed via Sony have gotten Sony to delete the Sony/UV redemption and issue new codes for them to use on MA so they can watch the UHD on iTunes or GPM. I have tried that for Dracula but have been unsuccessful so far. (Well, I guess I shouldn't say unsuccessful - no one at Sony has responded to my emails or chats.)

EDIT: Was just messing around on Vudu and it looks like the titles above that were in SD are now in HDX.
I spent 20+ minutes on chat with Sony Pictures today, they refused to cancel/reissue codes for Fifth Element and Ghostbusters. They basically said since UV shows correct (UHD) entitlement, that's where their obligation ends.

Yes, my UHD->SD problem in VUDU is also fixed, but I'll watch those impacted titles via iTunes, regardless.
post #582 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I redeemed "Starship Troopers" UHD in MA and got SD in Vudu and 4K on iTunes

I redeemed "The Shallows" UHD in MA and got SD in Vudu and HD in iTunes

At first my newly redeemed movies would not show up in iTunes so I unlinked the account then linked it again and it showed up. It didn't show up in my recent purchases on Apple TV 4K though. They were under All Movies

The above movies that showed as SD on Vudu now show up as HDX
Sam S likes this.

Last edited by powertoburn; 10-20-2017 at 08:11 PM.
post #583 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I redeemed "Starship Troopers" UHD in MA and got SD in Vudu and 4K on iTunes

I redeemed "The Shallows" UHD in MA and got SD in Vudu and HD in iTunes
Excellent, thanks. I don't think The Shallows is in 4K via iTunes?

Quote:
At first my newly redeemed movies would not show up in iTunes so I unlinked the account then linked it again and it showed up. It didn't show up in my recent purchases on Apple TV 4K though. They were under All Movies
Yes, I had the same issue. I think Sony/VUDU/MA is sending bad metadata with the redemptions, because I think all my Sony titles show a purchase date of 1/1/70, which is why iTunes doesn't think they're "recent".
post #584 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
iTunes only has "The Shallows" in HD right now no 4K version yet.
post #585 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
When you look in the MA app under Transaction History, does it show those movies above came from Google, or VUDU? I got burned on Fifth Element and 1984 Ghostbusters, because redeeming via Sony, I only get HD for Ghostbusters in iTunes. I don't suppose you have an Apple TV 4K do you? I still have UHD codes for E.T., Starship Troopers, and Close Encounters I want to redeem, but I'm scared they won't come into iTunes as 4K.

I spent 20+ minutes on chat with Sony Pictures today, they refused to cancel/reissue codes for Fifth Element and Ghostbusters. They basically said since UV shows correct (UHD) entitlement, that's where their obligation ends.

Yes, my UHD->SD problem in VUDU is also fixed, but I'll watch those impacted titles via iTunes, regardless.
It shows the Sony and Universal titles above as "Movies Anywhere". Some WB movies I had redeemed on UV linked to my Vudu show as "Vudu" but the rest show where they originally came from, which is mostly DMA.

I don't have an apple TV. I'm using an nvidia shield TV. I obviously can't speak to Apple, but if Google Play Movies has it in UHD and it's redeemed at MA, it gives join UHD rights at GPM. I've seen people in other groups confirm the Apple thing though. Sucks because the original Spider-Man trilogy IS in UHD in iTunes but NOT GPM.

I hope they fix Dracula for me. If I had only waited like a day I could have redeemed it at MA but nooooooo... I had to try it right then. ugh.
post #586 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It shows the Sony and Universal titles above as "Movies Anywhere". Some WB movies I had redeemed on UV linked to my Vudu show as "Vudu" but the rest show where they originally came from, which is mostly DMA.

I don't have an apple TV. I'm using an nvidia shield TV. I obviously can't speak to Apple, but if Google Play Movies has it in UHD and it's redeemed at MA, it gives join UHD rights at GPM. I've seen people in other groups confirm the Apple thing though. Sucks because the original Spider-Man trilogy IS in UHD in iTunes but NOT GPM.

I hope they fix Dracula for me. If I had only waited like a day I could have redeemed it at MA but nooooooo... I had to try it right then. ugh.
Thanks. So you think something happened in the past few days that fixed MA redeems to reflect correct 4K entitlement? When I got burned on my first MA redeem, I got really worried/mad. The only one I really need "fixed" is 1984 Ghostbusters. I raised a stink with SPHE and asked for a supervisor to call me, but I'm not holding my breath.
post #587 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Yes, I had the same issue. I think Sony/VUDU/MA is sending bad metadata with the redemptions, because I think all my Sony titles show a purchase date of 1/1/70, which is why iTunes doesn't think they're "recent".
I called and opened a ticket about this a couple days ago because Inferno, DaVinci Code, and Rough Night were all appearing with the same date of 1/1/70.
post #588 of 772 Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 PM

Just did a D2D redeem for 11 movies. All of them were successfully imported into Vudu, then MA & iTunes. All the movies appear as HD in iTunes, HDX in Vudu.
I don't think any will be upgraded to 4K HDR in iTunes, who knows? It was worth it to get upgrades of some of my favorite movies.
post #589 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
MA isn't sending "bad" transaction dates exactly, it is correctly sending what it got from VUDU. The 1/1/1970 date is apparently the placeholder VUDU put in for all UV titles that were redeemed/bought somewhere other than VUDU (Flixster, Sony, CinemaNow, etc) as they likely didn't have that information, just the date it was added (which they obviously didn't pull from).
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by curtisb; 10-21-2017 at 01:31 AM.
post #590 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
don't think any will be upgraded to 4K HDR in iTunes, who knows?
Well, we all 'knows' as Apple has now expressly said these type of MA licenses synced from movies bought elsewhere won't be eligible to be streamed at UHD ("upgraded"). ;-)
nathan_h likes this.
post #591 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
If you want it at UHD resolution in your UV and MA locker, the Sony site is the place to do it since VUDU has stopped syncing UV code redemptions on the MA site to UV. Since it gives you UHD UV license on the Sony store and VUDU supports it at UHD, redeeming it at Sony will sync to VUDU which will then sync to MA (assuming you have them all linked) and give you UHD at all locations.

This may not hold true for the next Sony title. Any title VUDU doesn't have in UHD shouldn't be redeemed at a UV site at this time (you should probably just sit on any of those codes for a while).
post #592 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, My head is going to explode!!!
aaronwt, Sam S, kbmb and 2 others like this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #593 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 2087
^^^^^ And this was done to Simplify the process????^^^^^^Go figure!

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #594 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
If you want it at UHD resolution in your UV and MA locker, the Sony site is the place to do it since VUDU has stopped syncing UV code redemptions on the MA site to UV. Since it gives you UHD UV license on the Sony store and VUDU supports it at UHD, redeeming it at Sony will sync to VUDU which will then sync to MA (assuming you have them all linked) and give you UHD at all locations.

This may not hold true for the next Sony title. Any title VUDU doesn't have in UHD shouldn't be redeemed at a UV site at this time (you should probably just sit on any of those codes for a while).
Specifically for Sony titles, with primary 4K viewing via AppleTV:

I'm starting to think that redeeming via MA might be the best solution. Yes, I got burned on OG Underworld, but I realize now that's mainly because the UHD code I was redeeming the Theatrical version into UV, and iTunes only has the Extended cut, so it doesn't see anything to port over from my UV locker.

If we think UV might eventually go away, locking in your entitlement there might not do you any good? But redeeming via MA might hang onto your 4K rights, even if VUDU doesn't currently have it? What we'd need to test is a Sony 4K title redeemed via MA, that VUDU doesn't yet have in UHD. Then VUDU offers in UHD, we'd have to see if it showed up in 4K via iTunes. We do now know that MA won't pass these rights back into UV, and sure enough, this movie is nowhere to be found in my UV locker.

EDIT: Success! I just redeemed Starship Troopers (Sony title) UHD code from disc, directly via MA iOS app. VUDU doesn't have UHD rights, yet AppleTV 4K reports 4K!

Unfortunately some of my previously redeemed 4K titles are still "stuck" in UV. Even though they have proper UHD entitlement, VUDU won't pass that to MA I'm unsure on what would happen if I tried to redeem a new code for one of my existing UV UHD titles via the MA app?

Last edited by Sam S; 10-21-2017 at 07:38 AM.
post #595 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
VUDU has stated they are NOT passing info to UV, right?

And UV is not part of the MA world -- only Apple, Vudu, Google and Amazon.

So redeeming on VUDU and on MA won't help create an entry in your UV account, right?
post #596 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
VUDU has stated they are NOT passing info to UV, right?

And UV is not part of the MA world -- only Apple, Vudu, Google and Amazon.

So redeeming on VUDU and on MA won't help create an entry in your UV account, right?
Correct.
Correct.
Correct.

So, it would appear if you're in the Apple ecosystem, it's best to redeem Sony titles via MA. And it won't show up in your UV locker. <--someone tell me if a title is not in your UV locker, where doesn't it port to? Assume it shows up in VUDU.
post #597 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
It doesn't port to anything outside the MA universe, right?

So it will port to Amazon, Google, iTunes and Vudu.

But probably not to Fandango/Flixster/M-GO/BlinkBox.
post #598 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Movies Anywhere does not allow for account sharing per se. I share my collection of movies with family members through a conglomeration of streaming services including VUDU (UV), Google Play (Family Library) and iTunes (Family Sharing). It's cumbersome but it works.

Of the 4 services Amazon is the odd man out and does not allow for any sort of movie collection sharing, maybe that will change who knows.

Speaking of Amazon, I purchased The Rocketeer (1991) digital movie a few days ago and it propagated across to MA, VUDU and iTunes but it never made it to Google Play. I wrote MA about the issue and not surprisingly have heard nothing from them. I rarely buy digital movies on Amazon but was using money I received via gift certificate. I'll think twice about using them again.
I also discovered this morning that when the MA titles migrate over to Google Play that they are NOT automatically added to the Family Library. You have to go through each title and manually add them, clicking on the slider button. Of course this excludes the Paramount and Lionsgate titles.

Manually adding the titles to Google Play Family Library is a huge PITA when you own 800+ movies.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

Last edited by Mr.G; 10-22-2017 at 07:37 AM.
post #599 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
It doesn't port to anything outside the MA universe, right?

So it will port to Amazon, Google, iTunes and Vudu.

But probably not to Fandango/Flixster/M-GO/BlinkBox.
Correct.
Correct.
Probably not.
post #600 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Accurate as of 10/21/17:

Here's my new strategy for 4K codes. And I come at this from the perspective of an Apple TV 4K user, and I prefer that as my 4K streaming platform:
  • Fox: redeem via iTunes - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. However, only SD/HD in VUDU, although this might get corrected.
  • Warner Bros.: redeem via myuv.com - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. Will be UHD on VUDU if they offer it as such.
  • Sony: redeem via Movies Anywhere. This will get your 4K entitlement into iTunes, but will never show up in your UV locker. <- This may not be important if you don't plan on going outside the MA ecosystem.
  • Disney: redeem via MA app
  • Universal: redeem via iTunes - goes into iTunes @ 4K. Pushes to VUDU as HDX. Doesn't port to UV.
  • Paramount: redeem via iTunes - goes into iTunes @ 4K. Pushes to VUDU as HDX. Doesn't port to UV.
  • Lionsgate: I'm going to hold off on redeeming any of their UHD codes until the figure out what they're doing with MA.
nathan_h, cnelson87, JJ7 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page