Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #601 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It is important to know that MA has never communicated anything to UV or vice versa since there is no agreement between MA and UV. What actually happens is when you signed up to MA, MA looks at the purchase history in your VUDU account and anything you purchased or code you redeemed that has the MA logo in VUDU will then mirror to your MA account. Then that purchase history is passed to the other MA linked retailers.
Any title that may have ported from MA side through VUDU to UV was a bug and not supposed to happen. It is not known if VUDU will have to scrub those from the UV library so don't be surprised if some of those titles disappear.
If you want redeemed codes and VUDU purchases to go to your UV library, first you must look to see if that title has both the UV and MA logo after it, if it does then unlink VUDU from MA. Then redeem or purchase the title as this will then guarantee that it goes to the UV locker and not MA. Then after you verified that it is in UV by going to the UV website, then relink VUDU to MA. MA will then rescan your VUDU purchase history and then add the title to MA. Also make sure VUDU is linked to UV.
Going forward it will be interesting to see if new titles will be able to be redeemed in UV. I am suspecting they won't. So redeem what you can in UV until the studios stop supporting UV completely. If you redeemed all your codes and made all your UV purchases through VUDU like I did then you have no worry that those titles will be lost. The only titles that will be lost will those that have the UV logo and no MA logo.
Now I don't know what the deal is with UHD as I am not even bothering with that until the studios and electronics manufacturers figure out what standard they will use. Until then UHD will be a waste of money. I also suspect that MA coalition is going to be very stingy with upgrades as it seems the studios want us to rebuy all our titles over again and at UHD premium prices.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 11:19 AM
JJ7

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
Accurate as of 10/21/17:

Here's my new strategy for 4K codes. And I come at this from the perspective of an Apple TV 4K user, and I prefer that as my 4K streaming platform:
  • Fox: redeem via iTunes - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. However, only SD/HD in VUDU, although this might get corrected.
  • Warner Bros.: redeem via myuv.com - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. Will be UHD on VUDU if they offer it as such.
  • Sony: redeem via Movies Anywhere. This will get your 4K entitlement into iTunes, but will never show up in your UV locker. <- This may not be important if you don't plan on going outside the MA ecosystem.
  • Disney: redeem via MA app
  • Universal: redeem via iTunes - goes into iTunes @ 4K. Pushes to VUDU as HDX. Doesn't port to UV.
  • Paramount: redeem via iTunes - goes into iTunes @ 4K. Pushes to VUDU as HDX. Doesn't port to UV.
  • Lionsgate: I'm going to hold off on redeeming any of their UHD codes until the figure out what they're doing with MA.
This is very useful. At some point maybe we could make this a sticky, if someone is willing to revise it as the guidance changes
post #603 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Does anyone think it's possible to redeem a code into MA, when you've already redeemed a different code for the same title in UV? I can't get it to work.

Why would I want to do this? Well, I redeemed a few Sony UHD codes via SonyPicturesStore.com which then drop (as SD, HD, UHD) into my UV locker. Problem is, they feed into VUDU as HDX, and iTunes (via MA) seems to grab the highest level in your VUDU. But, when you redeem Sony UHD codes into MA directly, you get 4K in iTunes.

So, I bought duplicate codes for a few of my "stuck" UV UHD titles, but MA won't let me redeem them. The app says "You already own this movie" and shows the cover art.

What would I need to do to get my UV movies completely unlinked from my MA account? Unlinking VUDU doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Does anyone think it's possible to redeem a code into MA, when you've already redeemed a different code for the same title in UV? I can't get it to work.

Why would I want to do this? Well, I redeemed a few Sony UHD codes via SonyPicturesStore.com which then drop (as SD, HD, UHD) into my UV locker. Problem is, they feed into VUDU as HDX, and iTunes (via MA) seems to grab the highest level in your VUDU. But, when you redeem Sony UHD codes into MA directly, you get 4K in iTunes.

So, I bought duplicate codes for a few of my "stuck" UV UHD titles, but MA won't let me redeem them. The app says "You already own this movie" and shows the cover art.

What would I need to do to get my UV movies completely unlinked from my MA account? Unlinking VUDU doesn't work.
I'm glad you posted that - I was thinking about buying another Dracula code and trying the same since I have less than zero faith that Sony will do right by me.

I think you can delete the movie from your Sony/UV library on either the Sony site or UV - I can't remember which. But I don't think that would get rid of it from MA? I swear I read some people in the 4k G+ group saying that Sony deleted the movie from their UV locker and regenerated a new code for MA and that worked for them though so... I'm at a loss.
post #605 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyrulz View Post
I'm glad you posted that - I was thinking about buying another Dracula code and trying the same since I have less than zero faith that Sony will do right by me.

I think you can delete the movie from your Sony/UV library on either the Sony site or UV - I can't remember which. But I don't think that would get rid of it from MA? I swear I read some people in the 4k G+ group saying that Sony deleted the movie from their UV locker and regenerated a new code for MA and that worked for them though so... I'm at a loss.
Well, it seems you can totally delete a movie from UV, but then it's gone-gone. But they still show up in MA! I have duplicate codes for a few Sony titles, but I still cannot redeem them via MA because I can't find anyway for the redemptions to deleted from my MA Purchase History. <- This is probably by design, but very frustrating for me.
post #606 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well, it seems you can totally delete a movie from UV, but then it's gone-gone. But they still show up in MA! I have duplicate codes for a few Sony titles, but I still cannot redeem them via MA because I can't find anyway for the redemptions to deleted from my MA Purchase History. <- This is probably by design, but very frustrating for me.
Yeah, that's what I meant, I just didn't phrase it well.

I found the post I was talking about, though... I interpret this as exactly what we're talking about - redeemed movies via Sony = no 4k. Sony rep deletes and generated new codes which are redeemed via MA = 4k. Am I misreading it?

https://plus.google.com/104808036111...ts/cJQUhZZC9Xt
post #607 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant, I just didn't phrase it well.

I found the post I was talking about, though... I interpret this as exactly what we're talking about - redeemed movies via Sony = no 4k. Sony rep deletes and generated new codes which are redeemed via MA = 4k. Am I misreading it?

https://plus.google.com/104808036111...ts/cJQUhZZC9Xt
No, you're not misreading, I understand it the same way. Two problems:

1) Sony wouldn't delete reissue new codes for me, and
2) Even if they did, I can't understand how they get removed from MA. I bought two codes for "Chappie", deleted the original UV locker version, but MA still thinks I own it. So, MA won't let me redeem my second code. Unlinking libraries doesn't seem to help, as MA keeps my original transaction under my Purchase History.
post #608 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
No, you're not misreading, I understand it the same way. Two problems:

1) Sony wouldn't delete reissue new codes for me, and
2) Even if they did, I can't understand how they get removed from MA. I bought two codes for "Chappie", deleted the original UV locker version, but MA still thinks I own it. So, MA won't let me redeem my second code. Unlinking libraries doesn't seem to help, as MA keeps my original transaction under my Purchase History.
Yup. As to 1 - that's kinda bull****. If they're gonna do it they should do it across the board. But I can't even get them to get back to me or pick up the chat, so... I'm probably expecting too much.

My only thought on 2 is that maybe MA "updated" since that G+ post and you can't delete a library.

Sony/UV codes won't redeem directly via GPM or iTunes right? I was thinking maybe a new code there would work, but I guess not. I wonder if MA customer service could delete it? Again, it doesn't matter unless we can get Sony to give out new codes or buy them again. Plus the MA support is slow, at best.
post #609 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

First you can not unlink UV from MA as they were never linked in the first place. The only thing MA does when you link to VUDU is look at your purchase history in your VUDU account. Any type of purchase or code redemption, from UV and/or MA, you do with VUDU will show in that account history so you may have to avoid VUDU completely if your main concern is UHD playback.

You have to understand that this service was not intended to be a streaming/sharing platform. The studios sold this MA idea to wall street investors last Tuesday as a digital download service. This was the response the studios had to the constant questions the shareholders were asking how the studios were going to stop the loss of revenue from declining disc and ticket sales. The studios think that people want to own movies digitally anymore. Wall street is not buying this as it is obvious to them that people just want to rent the movie and watch it once not buy them.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...wnload-service
Quote:
The service could help studios compensate for the collapse in physical DVD sales and a disappointing year at the box office. By banding together, the makers of the world’s most popular films, including Disney’s “Star Wars” and Warner Bros.’ DC Comics, are betting they can succeed in attracting more users than their previous attempts did. Disney originally introduced its service under the name Disney Movies Anywhere in 2014, and other studios supported a rival format called UltraViolet.
With the rise of Netflix Inc. and other video services, studios may be too late to persuade consumers to buy movies to keep and re-watch.
The consumer has moved on from ownership of media to access via subscription services.

Everybody may want to take that into consideration before wading to deep in this. CAVEAT EMPTOR applies here. I am even holding off purchasing anything to add to UV and I am not signing up to MA as I am choosing to wait a while to see how this moves forward.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #610 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sony/UV codes won't redeem directly via GPM or iTunes right? I was thinking maybe a new code there would work, but I guess not. I wonder if MA customer service could delete it? Again, it doesn't matter unless we can get Sony to give out new codes or buy them again. Plus the MA support is slow, at best.
Definitely cannot redeem a Sony code directly from iTunes, but I dunno about GPM?

Since I only have two movies "stuck" with Sony/UV, I'd rather just buy a second code than deal with SPHE, begging them to delete reissue codes.

But it's all moot point until we can get Sony-redeemed codes out of the MA transaction history.
post #611 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So, if I buy Baby Driver in UHD on Vudu, will I get 4K in iTunes? And not the “fake” 4k people were talking about a while ago.
post #612 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigck417 View Post
So, if I buy Baby Driver in UHD on Vudu, will I get 4K in iTunes? And not the “fake” 4k people were talking about a while ago.
Pretty sure yes.
post #613 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Liked: 750
So I redeemed hacksaw ridge and goodfellas on vudu. Both show uhd 4k unlocked. I have my vudu account linked to MA, etc. these movies aren?t showing up in iTunes. Do I need to de-link vudu account and add again to MA?
post #614 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 195
i redeemed Hacksaw Ridge on Lionsgate page, getting 4K UHD on iTunes.
Redeemed 2 other codes for WB at myuv.com, but haven't matriculated through the system yet.
post #615 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
So I redeemed hacksaw ridge and goodfellas on vudu. Both show uhd 4k unlocked. I have my vudu account linked to MA, etc. these movies aren?t showing up in iTunes. Do I need to de-link vudu account and add again to MA?
Probably wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
i redeemed Hacksaw Ridge on Lionsgate page, getting 4K UHD on iTunes.
Redeemed 2 other codes for WB at myuv.com, but haven't matriculated through the system yet.
I don't have any Lionsgate UHD titles... did they let you redeem straight into iTunes?

Further testing tonight with "double redeeming": I already had Pacific Rim in HDX in VUDU. Bought the UHD, and redeemed it via VUDU. VUDU showed me with a check mark next to both HDX and UHD (as expected). Took a few hours, but finally it went through all the servers, and now my copy in iTunes plays back in 4K.
post #616 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:

I don't have any Lionsgate UHD titles... did they let you redeem straight into iTunes?

Further testing tonight with "double redeeming": I already had Pacific Rim in HDX in VUDU. Bought the UHD, and redeemed it via VUDU. VUDU showed me with a check mark next to both HDX and UHD (as expected). Took a few hours, but finally it went through all the servers, and now my copy in iTunes plays back in 4K.
Yes, it had me open iTunes then redeemed code.

Tried your method for 2 Warner Bros. codes:
• Warner Bros.: redeem via myuv.com - pushes into iTunes @ 4K no problem. Will be UHD on VUDU if they offer it as such.

So far I haven't seen these appear in any library yet, so not sure what happened.

It's like being a code detective, what works versus what doesn't!
post #617 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it had me open iTunes then redeemed code.
Strange, as HD Lionsgate titles only give me the option to redeem via VUDU or Fandango Now.

Quote:
Tried your method for 2 Warner Bros. codes:

So far I haven't seen these appear in any library yet, so not sure what happened.

It's like being a code detective, what works versus what doesn't!
Yeah, servers seem slow today ha. And it truly is being a detective. If I can figure out how to ask MA to delete some of my purchase history (so I can redeem a different code for same movie, but into MA), then I'll have a high degree of confidence on how to redeem all 4K codes - assuming your priority is iTunes 4K.
post #618 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 07:02 PM

Never migrated so I redeemed the WB codes on MA & everything worked like a charm. Itunes showing 4K & DV. Not sure about redeeming Warner Brothers Codes on UV - your thoughts Sam?

My personal priority is iTunes 4K as I'm really invested in their system. MA and Vudu, etc., are good for mobile viewing but for home theater purposes I want something as close to 4K UHD/DV discs as possible.
post #619 of 772 Old 10-21-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Never migrated so I redeemed the WB codes on MA & everything worked like a charm. Itunes showing 4K & DV. Not sure about redeeming Warner Brothers Codes on UV - your thoughts Sam?
Hard to say. Redeeming 4K Sony & Warner Bros. via MA seems to be a good option for those with iTunes as #1 priority.

Quote:
My personal priority is iTunes 4K as I'm really invested in their system. MA and Vudu, etc., are good for mobile viewing but for home theater purposes I want something as close to 4K UHD/DV discs as possible.
Same here, and the launch of Movies Anywhere really sealed the deal. I still have to use the VUDU app for TV shows I've redeemed but I would expect iTunes to be the #1 retailer of 4K content, before too long.
post #620 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post
On Sony’s site - as per your post. Now it didn’t show up as 4K till later in the day. Not quite sure what is going on.
Quote:
When you go into the MA app, under More, Transaction History - where does it show you redeemed District 9?
Quote:
Strange... it says iTunes, though I redeemed it on Sony’s site. Now I am even more confused.
@timdafweak - Can you double check this? I have been trying for days, but cannot seem to replicate this ^

You're basically describing redeeming a Sony HD (not 4K code!) via SonyPicturesStore.com -> links to UV. Then you say MA says you redeemed this title through iTunes, and plays back in 4K. I cannot duplicate this behavior. No matter which steps I take, redeeming Sony 4K codes can only show as coming from either MA, or VUDU, in my MA transaction history. Not iTunes. But, if you could redeem a Sony HD code via iTunes, then yes, it would be 4K. Just like when you redeem HD titles from Fox/Universal/Paramount directly in iTunes.
post #621 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
@timdafweak - Can you double check this? I have been trying for days, but cannot seem to replicate this ^

You're basically describing redeeming a Sony HD (not 4K code!) via SonyPicturesStore.com -> links to UV. Then you say MA says you redeemed this title through iTunes, and plays back in 4K. I cannot duplicate this behavior. No matter which steps I take, redeeming Sony 4K codes can only show as coming from either MA, or VUDU, in my MA transaction history. Not iTunes. But, if you could redeem a Sony HD code via iTunes, then yes, it would be 4K. Just like when you redeem HD titles from Fox/Universal/Paramount directly in iTunes.
@Sam S - Tell me about it. I've spent some $30 since then to try and replicate this behavior myself, to no avail. Seems like it was a fluke how it ended up working then. I am out of patience at this point.
post #622 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Sam S - Tell me about it. I've spent some $30 since then to try and replicate this behavior myself, to no avail. Seems like it was a fluke how it ended up working then. I am out of patience at this point.
For your repentance of making me buy the Blomkamp X 3 to try and replicate, you're required to watch Chappie today, all the way through
aaronwt, aaronwt and cydeweyz like this.
post #623 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
For your repentance of making me buy the Blomkamp X 3 to try and replicate, you're required to watch Chappie today, all the way through
:| anything BUT Chappie. Ugh what an abomination of a movie.
Sam S likes this.
post #624 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 230
@Sam S
@wxchaser
When you redeemed the codes on MA, is this through PC (moviesanywhere.com) or through phone (MA app)?
post #625 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 05:05 PM

Noticed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 dropped from 4K UHD in my iTunes library - to HD. Shows up as HDX in Vudu, and MA shows Marvel Studios' date stamped 10/14/17.

I feel like Marvel & Disney are just slapping me around, lol. At least I got to watch the 4K UHD version before it got "diminished" in my library.

Anybody else notice something like this?

Edit: As of mid evening getting UHD tag in Vudu, so unlinked/relinked Vudu library to see if it re-appears in my Itunes library correctly. Always a challenge!

Last edited by wxchaser; 10-22-2017 at 06:04 PM.
post #626 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
@Sam S
@wxchaser
When you redeemed the codes on MA, is this through PC (moviesanywhere.com) or through phone (MA app)?
I use my phone, but it shouldn?t matter.
JChin likes this.
post #627 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
@Sam S
@wxchaser
I have done it both ways, but usually I use a PC - but it makes no difference.
JChin likes this.
post #628 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, how do I tell if it got pushes into iTunes @ 4K?

Don't have the Apple TV 4K yet.
post #629 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks, how do I tell if it got pushes into iTunes @ 4K?

Don't have the Apple TV 4K yet.
Use the TV icon on an IOS device (iPhone/iPad) click on Movies under Library - then click on whatever movie you want to check and look for the 4K and/or Dolby Vision tags.

Info
JChin likes this.

Last edited by wxchaser; 10-22-2017 at 06:07 PM.
post #630 of 772 Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Use the TV icon on an IOS device (iPhone/iPad) click on Movies under Library - then click on whatever movie you want to check and look for the 4K and/or Dolby Vision tags.

Info
Awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page