Disney Launches Movies Anywhere Streaming Service - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 209Likes

post #661 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Looking for guidance on Sony codes. iTunes is what I care about.

I bought 4k codes for all 6 Spider-Man movies that are in UHD DV on iTunes. I already have the Raimi trilogy in HD and Amazing 2 in HD which came from VUDU through MA. I want to make sure I get them all in UHD on iTunes.

To date, I've been buying codes for Fox, Universal, etc. that I have in HD, redeeming the codes on iTunes, and getting upgraded to UHD rights without issue. These Sony codes though I'm going to redeem on MA directly. That seems to be the route to getting UHD right in iTunes.

Just not sure what to expect given I already own some of the movies in MA and iTunes. Will the 4k redemption just overwrite and upgrade my ownership through MA into iTunes without worry?

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Still can't get 1 movie into iTunes - Blade Runner: The Final Cut. It did propagate over to Amazon from Vudu but not iTunes. MA support told me to disconnect and reconnect iTunes but that didn't help. It's only this movie. Anyone have any ideas?
post #663 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Itunes has Wonder Woman UHD on sale for 9.99 and when I purchased it, it transferred to my vudu account as UHD. Many of my HDX movies on Vudu are showing as UHD on Itunes and others just as HD, so I am assuming they will play in 4k if I had a 4k Apple TV, which I don't, just a 4th gen. Still, a may invest in 4k Apple TV just to take advantage of the UHD upgrade for movies in my account. Does anyone know if this is a short term upgrade or would Itunes do it indefinitely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post
Still can't get 1 movie into iTunes - Blade Runner: The Final Cut. It did propagate over to Amazon from Vudu but not iTunes. MA support told me to disconnect and reconnect iTunes but that didn't help. It's only this movie. Anyone have any ideas?
This is an iTunes issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelenor View Post
Itunes has Wonder Woman UHD on sale for 9.99 and when I purchased it, it transferred to my vudu account as UHD. Many of my HDX movies on Vudu are showing as UHD on Itunes and others just as HD, so I am assuming they will play in 4k if I had a 4k Apple TV, which I don't, just a 4th gen. Still, a may invest in 4k Apple TV just to take advantage of the UHD upgrade for movies in my account. Does anyone know if this is a short term upgrade or would Itunes do it indefinitely?
Only UHD titles that port from Vudu will play in 4K on ATV. Apple labels everything that CAN play in 4K as 4K. Purchases or direct redeems on iTunes will get the 4K upgrade.
post #665 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
@pelenor

Apple has stated to the press that a HD movie purchased elsewhere (eg, Vudu) even if available on iTunes in 4k will only pay back on iTunes ATV5 (aka 4k) as HD. According to the same report, quoted in this thread a couple days ago, to get 4k playback on ATV you must either purchase the movie on iTunes or purchase a UHD movie on another service.
post #666 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Is Chappie actually Sony or one of their other studios? I just redeemed the remake of The Magnificent Seven, and was directed to the Sony site for redemption. It is visible in UV and Vudu, but not MA. Looking further, it is an MGM title, which is not yet part of MA.
Chappie came from the Columbia Pictures piece of the Sony Empire, but that shouldn't change anything. Presumably this title should appear in MA automatically when redeemed according to Sony's specific instructions. I recognize an initiative like this is no simple matter, but this was entirely their idea, done entirely on their schedule, and we are obviously a bunch of poorly paid beta testers.

Again, who cares, but if one was giving a letter grade on this so far, C is probably fair. Maybe generous.

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
post #667 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Just not sure what to expect given I already own some of the movies in MA and iTunes. Will the 4k redemption just overwrite and upgrade my ownership through MA into iTunes without worry?
Yes. Had this happen a few days ago redeeming 4K Dracula code via MA, when I already had the HD version in iTunes.
post #668 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
This is an iTunes issue.

Only UHD titles that port from Vudu will play in 4K on ATV. Apple labels everything that CAN play in 4K as 4K. Purchases or direct redeems on iTunes will get the 4K upgrade.
Is there a way to confirm that? I have HDX movies redeemed in VUDU that ported over to itunes and appear in my itunes library as 4K ( Deadpool for example shows flags for 4k HDR ).

According to the apple support site, if I see that 4k icon in my itunes library, then my itunes version is 4k. However, I don't have a 4K apple tv to verify that, so wondering if you have confirmed that yourself.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207949

"Check the quality of your previous purchases

If you previously bought an HD movie from the iTunes Store, you might have access to the 4K version, HDR, or Dolby Vision enhancements on a compatible device. If your iTunes Store purchase doesn't have a high-quality version now, it might be added later.
To check the video quality, tap or click on a movie in your Library. Look at the top of the page for 4K icon, HDR icon, or Dolby Vision icon."
post #669 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post
Is there a way to confirm that? I have HDX movies redeemed in VUDU that ported over to itunes and appear in my itunes library as 4K ( Deadpool for example shows flags for 4k HDR ).

According to the apple support site, if I see that 4k icon in my itunes library, then my itunes version is 4k. However, I don't have a 4K apple tv to verify that, so wondering if you have confirmed that yourself.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207949

"Check the quality of your previous purchases

If you previously bought an HD movie from the iTunes Store, you might have access to the 4K version, HDR, or Dolby Vision enhancements on a compatible device. If your iTunes Store purchase doesn't have a high-quality version now, it might be added later.
To check the video quality, tap or click on a movie in your Library. Look at the top of the page for 4K icon, HDR icon, or Dolby Vision icon."
When playing the movie, swipe down on the Siri remote and the info overlay will appear. You will see either the HD or 4K badge. You can also enable the dev tools if you have a Mac with Xcode.

Apple clarified the free 4K upgrades here:
http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/5242...sanywhere.html

Quote:
Apple is ONLY upgrading **iTunes Store purchases** to 4K. Everything else "should" stay at the original purchase or redemption resolution, be it 4K or HD.
Basically this means you either have to buy it directly in iTunes, or if you are redeeming a code, you have to redeem it directly in iTunes.

To be clear.....if the movie is porting from another service and you have it in UHD in the other service.....then you will get 4K in iTunes. This distinction is just for the free 4K upgrades. Apple really needs to switch the system to show what you own and can play. All the 4K stuff was launched before Movies Anywhere, so technically before MA everything WOULD be 4K if you saw 4K. MA is what is causing the confusion.
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by kbmb; 10-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.
post #670 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

To be clear.....if the movie is porting from another service and you have it in UHD in the other service.....then you will get 4K in iTunes. This distinction is just for the free 4K upgrades.
^^^ All correct, and the word of caution here is: Sony movies link to VUDU. And if VUDU doesn't offer the Sony title in 4K (which means basically none - except Baby Driver and one more title I'm forgetting), then you won't get it on Apple TV 4K in 4K. Even though the initial info screen will indicate otherwise. So, you should consider redeeming all Sony UHD codes via MA. That means they won't show up in UV, but you may not care.
post #671 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Basically this means you either have to buy it directly in iTunes, or if you are redeeming a code, you have to redeem it directly in iTunes.
Thanks, very helpful! So if I have an option to redeem an HD code in itunes or vudu, it will be better to redeem in itunes to ensure a 4K upgrade.
post #672 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
^^^ All correct, and the word of caution here is: Sony movies link to VUDU. And if VUDU doesn't offer the Sony title in 4K (which means basically none - except Baby Driver and one more title I'm forgetting), then you won't get it on Apple TV 4K in 4K. Even though the initial info screen will indicate otherwise. So, you should consider redeeming all Sony UHD codes via MA. That means they won't show up in UV, but you may not care.
^^^Yup on all this.....and @Sam S has the Sony redeem scars to prove it

Quote:
Thanks, very helpful! So if I have an option to redeem an HD code in itunes or vudu, it will be better to redeem in itunes to ensure a 4K upgrade.
Depends. Note that MA redeems and iTunes redeems that port back into Vudu are NOT getting UV rights. This was a change Vudu made last week. So if you care or not about getting a UV license, you have to watch where you redeem. Of course this can also mean not getting that free 4K upgrade.

Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't it seems with Movies Anywhere. They really could have hit it out of the park and simplified things.....but this is the studios and Hollywood

If you are mainly iTunes, then if you can, redeem on iTunes.
Sam S likes this.
post #673 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
^^^Yup on all this.....and @Sam S has the Sony redeem scars to prove it

Depends. Note that MA redeems and iTunes redeems that port back into Vudu are NOT getting UV rights. This was a change Vudu made last week. So if you care or not about getting a UV license, you have to watch where you redeem. Of course this can also mean not getting that free 4K upgrade.

Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't it seems with Movies Anywhere. They really could have hit it out of the park and simplified things.....but this is the studios and Hollywood

If you are mainly iTunes, then if you can, redeem on iTunes.
Well, I primarily use VUDU on NVIDIA Shield, but I do have some older ( Gen 3 ) Apple TV's that I had some Itunes purchases in. Its nice to have the libraries mostly synchronized now. I'll probably continue to redeem in VUDU since I share my library with some family members; I don't know if that sharing requires a UV license. I have seen that my itunes purchases that synchronized to my VUDU account through movies anywhere are also visible on my brothers shared VUDU account. Vice versa, I can also see his ITUNES purchases on my VUDU account, however they do not appear in my Movies Anywhere account, even though his VUDU purchased movies do appear in my Movies Anywhere account.

It's all as clear as mud right now
post #674 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I primarily use VUDU on NVIDIA Shield, but I do have some older ( Gen 3 ) Apple TV's that I had some Itunes purchases in. Its nice to have the libraries mostly synchronized now. I'll probably continue to redeem in VUDU since I share my library with some family members; I don't know if that sharing requires a UV license. I have seen that my itunes purchases that synchronized to my VUDU account through movies anywhere are also visible on my brothers shared VUDU account. Vice versa, I can also see his ITUNES purchases on my VUDU account, however they do not appear in my Movies Anywhere account, even though his VUDU purchased movies do appear in my Movies Anywhere account.

It's all as clear as mud right now
Yeah Vudu sharing is all done primarily via UV on the backend. Your family members will have their own Vudu account and their own UV login, but technically behind the scenes they are Standard users to your UV library. Sadly, if UV were to eventually die, I'm guessing Vudu sharing would die as well Movies Anywhere doesn't have an answer for that yet.

I think all the iTunes purchases you are seeing in your UV were all a bug that has since been fixed. When MA launched, your Google/Amazon/iTunes libraries ported into Vudu. Vudu then took those as new additions and sent them to your UV locker. That won't happen anymore if you redeem outside of Vudu.

I'm primarily Vudu as well and will continue to redeem most directly on Vudu. These will add to UV and my family/friends I share with will continue to see those new movies. The iTunes 4K is tempting.....and I would redeem there if they didn't stop UV ports. Really just hoping Vudu gets the deals done to bring more studios to UHD and they roll out HDR10 before my time is over

In an ideal world.......we could just redeem codes all in MA and everything would port everywhere. Hopefully we get there someday!
post #675 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 PM

After purchasing Wonder Woman in Itunes in 4k and it showing up in VUDU as 4k, I purchased Kong Skull Island, The Martian and Logan in 4k in Itunes and Martian and Logan did not port to Vudu in 4k, only in HDX. It seems Itunes UHD purchases port over in Itunes UHD only if there is an available UHD version on that site.
post #676 of 772 Old 10-24-2017, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another way to think about it: iTunes doesn’t sell UHD movies. They sell HD and if they have UHD it will stream that way. I know it seems like you are buying UHD but it doesn’t port anywhere as UHD and various titles have had the UHD streaming disappear, eg, Alien Covenenat, and Apple doesn’t offer a refund because they only sold you HD rights. The UHD version is a courtesy.

thomasfxlt likes this.
post #677 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Another way to think about it: iTunes doesn’t sell UHD movies. They sell HD and if they have UHD it will stream that way. I know it seems like you are buying UHD but it doesn’t port anywhere as UHD and various titles have had the UHD streaming disappear, eg, Alien Covenenat, and Apple doesn’t offer a refund because they only sold you HD rights. The UHD version is a courtesy.

This post above yours says the opposite doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelenor View Post
After purchasing Wonder Woman in Itunes in 4k and it showing up in VUDU as 4k, I purchased Kong Skull Island, The Martian and Logan in 4k in Itunes and Martian and Logan did not port to Vudu in 4k, only in HDX. It seems Itunes UHD purchases port over in Itunes UHD only if there is an available UHD version on that site.
post #678 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exactly. My point is that according to Apple and almost all user reports, what pelenor saw is not supposed to happen.
post #679 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As long as you don't already own the movie, and both services offer it in UHD, then it should port both ways. This will not upgrade titles if you own them already.
post #680 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Isn't working for me.

If I buy a UHD title at Apple, other services treat it like an HD redemption.

For example, I have Furious 7 UHD on iTunes. MA port to Vudu only lets me watch HD.

I have Lucy UHD on iTunes. Ports as HD to Vudu.
post #681 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Isn't working for me.

If I buy a UHD title at Apple, other services treat it like an HD redemption.

For example, I have Furious 7 UHD on iTunes. MA port to Vudu only lets me watch HD.

I have Lucy UHD on iTunes. Ports as HD to Vudu.
Are these titles you owned prior to MA? I purchased I am Legend at iTunes and it ported to Vudu in UHD. This was after the MA launch.
post #682 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. If that is the way they are implementing it, that seems designed to punish early adopters, but I guess now I know -- and am hopeful that going forward new purchases will port over correctly.
post #683 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes. If that is the way they are implementing it, that seems designed to punish early adopters, but I guess now I know -- and am hopeful that going forward new purchases will port over correctly.
I have a feeling they didn't think any of this through. As someone above mentioned, seems we are all the MA Beta Testers.
post #684 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmmm....have you tried unlinking both Vudu and iTunes and relinking to see if it does update those? You didn't own those in Vudu prior to MA correct? Meaning they first appeared in Vudu when you linked MA?
post #685 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 AM

From what I'm understanding, If you have hd purchases in your Itunes library that have a UHD offered by Itunes, then your itunes purchases will be upgraded to stream in UHD thru Itunes, However, any UHD ititle you purchase since the launch of Movies Anywhere, will port over as UHD to the other services if they have access to that. That's why I'm assuming both Logan and The Martian did not port as UHD since that is unavailable in VUDU. When It does become available, I'm sure it will be upgraded. But for now, Im going to purchase UHD titles on either Vudu or Itunes, depending on which is cheaper.
post #686 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmmm....have you tried unlinking both Vudu and iTunes and relinking to see if it does update those? You didn't own those in Vudu prior to MA correct? Meaning they first appeared in Vudu when you linked MA?
Right. I haven't tried unlinking but if that has worked for folks, I'll give it a try. Has anyone had that work?
post #687 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

In my experience, this is not correct. For example, I redeemed the HD code for Lucy in iTunes today. iTunes gives me 4K rights, and those rights pushed into VUDU as UHD.
post #688 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In my experience, this is not correct. For example, I redeemed the HD code for Lucy in iTunes today. iTunes gives me 4K rights, and those rights pushed into VUDU as UHD.
That's good news! To be clear, you didn't own Lucy at all before redeeming the code correct?
post #689 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's good news! To be clear, you didn't own Lucy at all before redeeming the code correct?
Correct, never owned. And this also applies to other titles I redeemed, including 4K Fate of The Furious (was HD code). Also, I purchased "Lights Out" 4K via iTunes directly (no code redeemed), and it pushed back into VUDU as UHD.
post #690 of 772 Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Correct, never owned. And this also applies to other titles I redeemed, including Fate of The Furious. Also, I purchased "Lights Out" 4K via iTunes directly (no code redeemed), and it pushed back into VUDU as UHD.
Cool. Glad they got this straightened out. Still bummed Vudu stopped giving UV rights for these imports, since my share accounts won't see any of these that I may redeem on iTunes. This will really sting if/when Vudu adds more studios to UHD - right now they have so many WB titles and those don't have iTunes codes. I guess I could get the two Fifty Shades movies......nah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Disney , movies now

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page